Geographic restrictions are not new to streaming sites such as Shudder. The likes of Netflix and HBO Go also have content that is only available in select countries. If you try to access Shudder from an unsupported region, you’ll see the following message:
“We are not yet available in your country. Our team is working hard to bring all the screams to a screen near you.”
This is because Shudder content is region-locked and only available in the US, Canada, UK, and Ireland.
Such a message may be disconcerting but don’t worry! With the use of a quality VPN, you can stream Shudder from abroad, wherever you are. For those unfamiliar with the term, VPN stands for “Virtual Private Network.” It serves to hide your IP address and location, allowing you to use a server in another country. This is very useful for live streaming your favorite content, particularly if, like Shudder, it’s restricted to certain locations.
Can’t wait to find out the best Shudder VPNs? Here’s a quick summary:
Best VPNs for unblocking Shudder abroad
- ExpressVPN: Fast servers for uninterrupted streaming of Shudder. Also unblocks Netflix. 24/7 live chat support and easy-to-use apps. Highly secure.
- NordVPN: Over 5,000 servers worldwide. Unblocks Shudder, Amazon Prime Video, and more. Offers 24/7 support and excellent security with no-logs policy.
- CyberGhost: High-speed servers for streaming Shudder as well as Netflix US. Connect up to 7 devices simultaneously. Uses encryption to secure your data.
- IPVanish: Allows up to 10 simultaneous connections. Works well with Shudder. Provides live chat support and is compatible with Kodi. Includes no-logs policy.
- PrivateVPN: Fast servers for Shudder, Netflix, and HBO Go. Use on up to 6 devices. Security features include encryption and kill switch. User-friendly apps.
- Surfshark: Unlimited simultaneous connections. Plenty of servers for unblocking Shudder as well as Netflix. Secure no-logs VPN with 24/7 support.
While there are many VPNs on the market, not all of them work with Shudder. Indeed, many prove to be slow and even downright unsafe to use. That’s why we’ve searched high and low for the best Shudder VPN, only selecting those that meet the following criteria:
- Servers in dozens of countries worldwide
- Fast connections for high-speed streaming
- No logging of your personal information
- A high level of security with encryption
- Quick and efficient customer service
- Connect multiple devices simultaneously
Best VPNs for Shudder
Take a look at our top VPN list for streaming Shudder from anywhere in 2019:
We found ExpressVPN to be the best VPN for Shudder for a number of reasons. What’s particularly impressive about this VPN is the sheer number of servers available. You have a choice of over 3,000 VPN servers across 94 countries, including all of the countries in which Shudder is available. We tested Shudder on various ExpressVPN servers and found streaming to be very smooth with no interruption.
Using ExpressVPN is refreshingly quick and easy with the option of an app or even a browser extension for added convenience. Switching between servers took a matter of seconds while the simple user interface means that you’re unlikely to encounter any difficulties. However, you still have the option of contacting ExpressVPN’s 24/7 customer support, which we found to be extremely quick in its response – this is not always the case with some paid VPNs.
Security is another important factor when choosing a VPN for Shudder or any other streaming service (ExpressVPN also works with Netflix, BBC iPlayer, and Amazon Prime Video). This VPN is based in the British Virgin Islands and doesn’t keep any identifying logs. ExpressVPN’s security features include 256-bit AES encryption, DNS and IPv6 leak protection, and a kill switch.
ExpressVPN has apps for Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, Linux, and routers. You can also download browser extensions for Chrome and Firefox.
- Fast servers in all Shudder countries (the US, UK, etc)
- Also unblocks Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, and BBC iPlayer
- User-friendly apps and browser extensions
- Offers 24/7 support via live chat and email
- Secure with encryption and kill switch feature
- Doesn’t keep any identifying logs
- Slightly more expensive than most rival VPNs
BEST VPN FOR SHUDDER:ExpressVPN is our top pick for watching Shudder abroad. Fast speeds for seamless streaming. Also unblocks Netflix and Amazon Prime Video. Provides 24/7 live chat support and user-friendly apps. Try it risk-free with the 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full ExpressVPN review.
Special Offer - get 3 months extra FREEGET DEAL
If it’s a high number of servers you’re looking for, NordVPN may well be for you. With over 5,000 servers, it’s one of the largest VPN server networks around. Needless to say, it’s easy to find fast servers for Shudder. You can also use NordVPN to unblock Netflix. While you can select a server by country, you can also choose one of the following specialty servers: Double VPN, P2P, Onion Over VPN, and Dedicated IP. What’s more, NordVPN can be used on six devices simultaneously.
This Panama-based VPN guarantees a 99.9% service uptime according to its terms of service, making it a reliable VPN for watching Shudder. We had no problem watching videos in 1080p HD on Shudder with no buffering or lag. Security and privacy is another area in which NordVPN excels. It has a zero-logs policy with no traffic or session logs of any kind. You can also expect 256-bit AES encryption as well as DNS and IPv6 leak protection, and a kill switch.
NordVPN is available on Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, and Linux. Browser extensions are available for Chrome and Firefox. Routers require manual configuration.
- An impressive network of more than 5,000 servers
- Unblocks Shudder, Netflix, BBC iPlayer, and more
- Lets you connect up to 6 devices simultaneously
- Excellent customer support available 24/7 via live chat
- Highly secure with a no-logs policy to protect your privacy
- Server speeds can be somewhat hit-and-miss
BEST VALUE:NordVPN is a good budget option. It has over 5,000 servers and easily unblocks Shudder, Netflix, and Amazon Prime Video. Use on up to 6 devices. 24/7 live chat support and excellent security with a strict no-logs policy. Includes a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full NordVPN review.
Save 70% with this limited deal on 3 year plansGET DEAL
CyberGhost is another great VPN for unblocking Shudder abroad. When using CyberGhost with Shudder and Netflix US, we experienced very fast and consistent speeds thanks to the reliable service provided. This is down to the fact that CyberGhost offers unlimited bandwidth and traffic. The apps have a very easy-to-use interface that makes selecting a server nice and simple.
A CyberGhost plan covers up to seven devices so you can use it on everything from your desktop computer to your mobile phone. If you have any issues setting up, you can always use the 24/7 live chat support, which has proved to be very quick and helpful in our inquiries. Last but certainly not least, CyberGhost was the only VPN company in 2018 to earn a perfect score in our test of the best VPNs for privacy and anonymity. Security features on offer include 256-bit AES encryption, DNS and IPv6 leak protection, kill switch and a no-logs policy.
CyberGhost apps are available for Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, Android TV, and Amazon Fire Stick/Fire TV. You can also download browser extensions for Chrome and Firefox. Linux and routers require manual setup.
- Unblocks Shudder, Netflix US, and BBC iPlayer
- Good speeds for streaming without buffering and lag
- Connect up to 7 devices simultaneously
- 24/7 live chat customer support
- No-logs VPN that uses encryption to secure your data
- Struggles to unblock some Netflix libraries
SPEED AND SECURITY:CyberGhost has fast servers for streaming Shudder abroad. Can also be used with Netflix US. Lets you connect up to 7 devices. Includes 24/7 support and beginner-friendly apps. No-logs VPN with encryption. 45-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full CyberGhost review.
Flash Sale - save 80% on the 3 year planGET DEAL
IPVanish has fast servers, making it ideal for streaming Shudder abroad. It offers unlimited bandwidth and unlimited P2P traffic. Our tests of various IPVanish servers on Shudder were very smooth with 1080p videos able to play uninterrupted. IPVanish has over 1,300 VPN servers in dozens of countries and is known to be a very reliable VPN for Shudder as well as for use with Kodi and Amazon Fire TV sticks.
Another big advantage of IPVanish is that it allows you to have 10 simultaneous connections on multiple devices which is more than the vast majority of paid VPNs. Our experience with the app was positive and the ease of use will be particularly appreciated by newcomers to VPNs. IPVanish offers a high level of security with 256-bit encryption. Also built in is DNS and IPv6 leak protection as well as a kill switch, preventing your IP address from being exposed should the connection drop.
IPVanish apps are available for Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, and Amazon Fire TV/Fire Stick. Manual setup is required for Linux and routers.
- Good speeds for streaming Shudder abroad
- Particularly good with Kodi and Amazon Fire Stick
- Connect up to 10 devices simultaneously
- Highly secure with encryption and automatic kill switch
- Based in the US (a member of the Five Eyes intelligence alliance)
- Doesn’t offer the option of paying in Bitcoin for improved anonymity
10 SIMULTANEOUS CONNECTIONS:IPVanish stands out for offering up to 10 simultaneous connections per account. It has good speeds and works well with Shudder. Compatible with Kodi and secure with encryption and no logs. 7-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full IPVanish review.
Comparitech Exclusive - save up to 66% on the 2 year planGET DEAL
PrivateVPN is another VPN worth considering. This is a smaller VPN with around 100 servers worldwide but tests of the various well-placed servers available provided impressive results. PrivateVPN allows for seamless streaming of Shudder videos in 1080p HD while switching servers was quick and easy with the simple PrivateVPN app (though advanced options are also available).
PrivateVPN can be used on up to 6 devices simultaneously, which is more than many other VPNs on the market. In terms of security and privacy, PrivateVPN states that it doesn’t keep any logs of data traffic. There’s also 256-bit AES encryption, DNS and IPv6 leak protection, and a kill switch among other security features to keep you safe. A live chat service is also offered with the option of remote help and installation should you need it.
PrivateVPN offers apps for Windows, Mac, Android, and iOS. You’ll have to follow manual instructions for setup with Linux and routers.
- Very fast speeds for streaming Shudder as well as Netflix
- Lets you connect up to 6 devices
- Highly user-friendly apps for desktop and mobile platforms
- Keeps you safe online with encryption and a no-logs policy
- Live chat support isn’t available 24/7
- Only offers around 100 servers
HIGH SPEED SERVERS:PrivateVPN is fast which is ideal for streaming Shudder. Also unblocks Netflix and Amazon Prime Video. Connect up to 6 devices. Very user-friendly and secure with encryption and strict no-logs policy. 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full PrivateVPN review.
Special Deal - save 83% on the 2 year planGET DEAL
Surfshark stands out for allowing you to have an unlimited number of simultaneous connections. This is great if you plan to share your VPN with family. This VPN has servers in dozens of countries, including the US, UK, Canada, and Ireland. As such, you can use it to stream Shudder overseas. Surfshark also unblocks popular streaming services including Netflix.
If it’s your first time using a VPN, you’ll appreciate Surfshark thanks to its beginner-friendly apps and browser extensions. The fact that 24/7 live chat support is offered makes it all even easier. This is a no-logs VPN based in the British Virgin Islands where there are no mandatory data retention laws. It uses 256-bit AES encryption to safeguard your data. Also included is protection from DNS and IPv6 leaks and a kill switch feature, making this a highly secure VPN service to consider for Shudder.
You can download Surfshark apps for Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, and Amazon Fire TV/Fire Stick. Also included are browser extensions for Chrome and Firefox. However, Linux and routers require manual configuration.
- Unblocks Shudder as well as the likes of Netflix and BBC iPlayer
- Lets you connect an unlimited number of devices simultaneously
- Excellent customer support, available 24/7 via live chat
- High level of security with a no-logs policy and encryption
- Only offers around 800 servers in total
- Doesn’t offer an app for Linux
UNLIMITED CONNECTIONS:Surfshark offers great value as it lets you connect an unlimited number of devices simultaneously. Works well with Shudder and Netflix. Offers 24/7 live chat support and user-friendly apps. No-logs policy and encryption. 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full Surfshark review.
Special Deal - save 83% on the 2 year planGET DEAL
How to watch Shudder abroad with a VPN
It’s quick and easy to install a VPN to unblock Shudder and other streaming services such as Netflix. All you have to do is follow these simple steps:
Using a VPN to watch Shudder abroad
- Register with one of the 6 best VPNs for Shudder – we recommend ExpressVPN.
- Download and install the Shudder VPN, selecting the appropriate version.
- Open up the VPN software and connect to a server (you’ll want to choose one in the USA, Canada, UK or Ireland to watch Shudder abroad)
- Choose one of Shudder’s horror films. You may need to clear your browser’s cache and cookies in order for any changes to take effect.
- The content should now be unblocked!
Can I watch Shudder with a free VPN?
That’s a good question, particularly because something that’s free is often going to be an attractive option. While some of you may be able to use free VPNs to watch Shudder abroad, there are several reasons why we don’t recommend them. Generally speaking, free VPNs offer inferior performance compared to paid VPNs. This makes sense when there are too many users and too few servers available as well as data and bandwidth limits.
Just as important as the quality of the streaming is security. This is another area in which free VPNs often fall behind. Quite simply, free VPNs are not as safe as quality paid VPNs. One of the big reasons for this is that free VPNs need to make money one way or another. Unfortunately for you, this often means keeping logs of your activity and selling the data to third parties. You may also find your free VPN experience to be overwhelmed with ads. Quite simply, free VPNs are not worth the risk.
What to watch on Shudder
You can watch hundreds of horror, thriller and supernatural films and TV series on Shudder.
Note that some of the titles are restricted to a specific region such as the USA, so you may have to change your VPN location to see them. Otherwise, you may come across the following message:
“This video is trapped in the Fifth Dimension! There are lots more videos to choose from, though.”
This happened when we tried to watch Halloween from a UK server.
Some of the titles available on Shudder include:
- The Evil Dead
- The Blair Witch Project
- American Psycho
- The Birds
- Cabin Fever
- The Texas Chainsaw Massacre
- 1 Best VPNs for Shudder
- 2 1. ExpressVPN
- 3 Special Offer - get 3 months extra FREE
- 4 2. NordVPN
- 5 Save 70% with this limited deal on 3 year plans
- 6 3. CyberGhost
- 7 Flash Sale - save 80% on the 3 year plan
- 8 4. IPVanish
- 9 Comparitech Exclusive - save up to 66% on the 2 year plan
- 10 5. PrivateVPN
- 11 Special Deal - save 83% on the 2 year plan
- 12 6. Surfshark
- 13 Special Deal - save 83% on the 2 year plan
- 14 How to watch Shudder abroad with a VPN
- 15 Can I watch Shudder with a free VPN?
- 16 What to watch on Shudder