If you’re interested in independent film, you may well have a subscription to Fandor. The problem is that currently, this service is only available to viewers within the US and Canada. This means that if you travel outside of North America, you won’t be able to watch the content you’re paying for. However, regional blocking can be bypassed by connecting to a Virtual Private Network (VPN).
When you use a VPN, your network traffic is encrypted. Only your computer and your VPN provider have access to the decryption key, so hackers and even your internet service provider can’t tell what you’re doing online. Because you can choose to route your traffic through a server in another location, it’s possible to trick service providers into believing you’re actually located in a different country.
The best VPNs for streaming Fandor overseas
With dozens of VPN providers offering servers optimized for all kinds of purposes, it can be difficult to decide which is right for your needs. To find the best VPNs for streaming Fandor from overseas, we looked for services with the following characteristics:
- Numerous high-speed American servers
- Stable connections
- Strong encryption and additional security features
- No logging, or at least, no personally identifiable information logged
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
NordVPN has more than 1,700 US servers, each optimized for streaming HD content. This service can unblock numerous platforms including Hulu, Netflix, and BBC iPlayer. Further, it permits up to six simultaneous connections, so you can protect all of your devices and stream from whichever you like, wherever you go.
This VPN is ideal for novice users as it includes anti-malware and ad-blocking features. That said, it provides plenty of depth for experienced users, with a highly configurable kill switch and Tor over VPN capability. Your traffic is protected with 256-bit AES encryption, and DNS leak protection is enabled by default. Best of all, NordVPN has a true no logs policy, with no browsing or session data retained whatsoever.
Apps are available for Windows, Android, Mac, and iOS. The VPN can be manually installed on Linux-based systems and specific network routers.
- Over 1,500 servers in the US can unblock just about anything
- Unblocked Fandor during testing at good speeds for HD streaming
- Trusted provider offering strong security and privacy
- Apps for Windows, MacOS, iOS, Linux and Android
- Extensive support documentation and live chat option
- Desktop app is a bit clunky compared to other providers
BEST VPN FOR FANDOR ABROAD:NordVPN is our first choice for Fandor. Strong on security, with a no-logs policy and impressive speeds. Allows up to 6 simultaneous connected devices. Provides a 30-day money back guarantee so you can try it risk-free.
Read our full NordVPN review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
Surfshark provides access to more 3,200 servers in 65 countries. In other words, it’s a great choice for anyone looking to access geo-blocked services from around the world. In fact, as well as unblocking Fandor, this VPN works with the likes of Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, and Hulu. Best of all, it allows an unlimited number of connections, while most of its rivals permit just five.
This VPN punches above its weight when it comes to security. It has 256-bit encryption, a kill switch, protection against IPv6, DNS, and WebRTC leaks, and an ad-blocker built-in. There’s also a NoBorders mode for even greater privacy. Surfshark doesn’t keep any logs at all and allows you to pay in three different cryptocurrencies. Support staff is on-hand 24/7 via live chat.
Surfshark apps are available for iOS, Android, MacOS, Linux, and Windows. Manual configuration is required for wireless routers.
- Fast enough for effortless streaming
- Great unblocking capabilities
- Connect as many devices as you like
- No logging
- Impressive security offering
- Some servers are much slower than others
BEST BUDGET VPN:Surfshark is a fantastic low-cost VPN that boasts powerful security and privacy features, solid speeds, and the ability to unblock Fandor from anywhere. What’s more, all of its plans include a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read the full Surfshark review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
With 27 high-speed American servers, ExpressVPN enables you to watch Fandor’s content free from buffering and choppy playback, regardless of where you are in the world. It is also capable of unblocking platforms like Netflix and Amazon Prime Video, making it ideal for those with subscriptions to multiple streaming services.
This service utilizes 256-bit encryption, a kill switch, DNS leak protection, and perfect forward secrecy, to keep your private information secure. ExpressVPN keeps no logs, thanks to the British Virgin Islands’ lenient data retention legislation. Users can pay in bitcoin and use the .onion site in order to be as anonymous as possible. 24/7 live chat support is available in case of any issues.
ExpressVPN apps are available for Mac, Windows, Linux, Android, and iOS. Certain wireless routers are also supported but require manual installation.
- Servers in 20 major US city locations can unblock geo-restricted content from almost anywhere
- Superfast servers a great for streaming in HD quality
- Best-in-class encryption makes for solid security and privacy
- Strict zero-logs policy and solid security on apps
- Doesn’t come cheap, use a coupon for discounts
- Few customizable settings
STREAM SAFELY:ExpressVPN reliably unblocks Fandor abroad as well as many other streaming services. Exceptional speeds for buffer-free HD viewing along with total security and privacy. Comes with a 30-day money back guarantee.
Read our full ExpressVPN review.
Money-back guarantee: 45 DAYS
CyberGhost allows users to choose between servers optimized for different tasks. Most relevant here are the servers dedicated to unblocking streaming sites such as Fandor. With over 700 US-based servers and up to five simultaneous connections permitted, CyberGhost makes it easy to watch content from Fandor, US Netflix, iPlayer, and many other streaming services.
This service comes with an ad-blocker and anti-malware functionality built in. It uses 256-bit encryption and forced HTTPS redirection to protect your privacy. A kill switch, combined with protection against DNS, IPv6, and port forwarding leaks, ensure you remain protected at all times. CyberGhost keeps no logs of your activities. Best of all, it has a novice-friendly interface that takes the jargon out of staying safe online.
Windows, MacOS, Android, and iOS apps are available. CyberGhost can be manually configured to work on Linux and selected routers.
- Operates over 700 servers in various cities within the US, has no issues unblocking Fandor
- Some of the fastest streaming servers we’ve tested
- Keeps no user activity logs and provides strong encryption to bypass activity detection
- Reliable and knowledgeable 24/7 live chat support
- Not all servers unblock all major streaming sites consistently
- Doesn’t work in China
GREAT FOR STREAMING:CyberGhost provides access to lots of geo-restricted content and its easy-to-use apps are ideal for beginners. Plans come with a 45-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full CyberGhost review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
IPVanish is a fast VPN service that’s ideal for streaming HD video. It’s capable of unblocking platforms such as BBC iPlayer, ITV Hub, and of course, Fandor. Further, with more than 650 servers across the US, even state-specific blocking can be easily bypassed.
DNS and IPv6 leak protection are enabled by default, but IPVanish offers far more security options than these. You can obfuscate OpenVPN traffic, block LAN traffic entirely, enable a kill switch, and switch IP addresses at timed intervals. IPVanish uses 256-bit encryption, has a zero logs policy, and accepts bitcoin payments, making it a strong choice for anyone looking to keep their online activities private.
IPVanish apps are available for Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, and Amazon Fire TV. Manual configuration is required for Linux and supported routers.
- With over 600 US servers it can unblock just about any streaming site in HD speeds
- No issues accessing Fandor without buffering during our tests from multiple locations
- Impressive security and privacy features
- Handles multiple simultaneous connections well
- Look elsewhere if you need to use apps in China
- Struggles with larger streaming platforms
LARGE SERVER NETWORK:IPVanish works any number of connected devices. Fast connections, lightweight easy to use apps, good multi-platform support. Reliable with Fandor. 30-day money back guarantee.
Read our full IPVanish review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
PrivateVPN has fewer servers than some of its rivals (just ten in the US) but offers faster speeds than most, allowing for seamless streaming. It permits up to six simultaneous connections, meaning it can be installed on all your devices with just one account. It’s also capable of unblocking platforms such as Netflix, BBC iPlayer, and Hulu.
256-bit encryption, a kill switch, and DNS and IPv6 leak protection keep your data protected at all times. Additionally, this service has a no-logs policy, so even if someone was to request details of your activities, PrivateVPN would be unable to provide them. With a 24/7 live chat service and the ability to remotely troubleshoot your devices, PrivateVPN makes resolving any issues very straightforward.
Apps are available for Windows, MacOS, Android, and iOS. The VPN can be manually installed on Linux systems and specific wireless routers.
- Operates multiple servers in 8 major US cities
- Servers provide reliable connections and decent speeds
- Unblocks many popular US streaming sites including Fandor
- Apps are slick but lack advanced configuration options
- Not the cheapest option on this list
- Slightly slower than similarly priced rivals
GREAT SPEEDS:PrivateVPN is a good family choice. Unblocks Fandor abroad and allows up to 6 devices on the same account. Small network of servers but fast connections. 30-day money back guarantee.
Read our full PrivateVPN review.
Can I use a free VPN with Fandor?
You might be tempted to use a free VPN to connect to Fandor from abroad, but we advise against it for several reasons. First, free VPNs usually have more users and fewer servers. This leads to slow connections and choppy video playback. Some free VPNs even impose data caps or queues to try and keep up with user demand, which creates a far less satisfying experience overall.
Every business has to make money and free VPNs are no exception. They can do this by inserting ads into the pages you visit, using tracking cookies to keep tabs on your activities (greatly reducing your privacy in the process), and selling your browsing habits to third parties without your knowledge. While there’s no upfront cost to using a free VPN, you often pay with your personal data.
What’s more, these services can come with significant risks. Recently, certain free VPNs have been found to include malware, harvest more data than they need, mislead their users about the logs they keep and sell their users’ bandwidth to contribute to botnets. We recommend using a well-established and reputable VPN with privacy-focused logging policies in order to keep your information as safe as possible.
Still having problems accessing Fandor?
As mentioned, Fandor is currently only available within the US and Canada. While a VPN can help you bypass its regional blocking, the site itself logs your location when you first access it. As such, if you go to the Fandor website before connecting your VPN, you’ll see a message saying “Streaming Rights Restricted. Unfortunately, due to licensing restrictions, we currently do not have rights to distribute films in your region. Films on Fandor can only be watched in regions where we have distribution rights.”.
This issue can be resolved by deleting any locally stored cookies from Fandor.com. The process is slightly different for each browser but we’ll explain how to do it on the most popular three below.
- Click the menu icon (with three dots) in the top right-hand corner of the screen.
- Click Settings.
- Scroll down to the bottom and click the Advanced tab.
- Under Privacy and security, select the Content settings option.
- Click Cookies, then See all cookies and site data.
- Type “Fandor” (without quotes) into the search bar and delete any entries that say “Local storage”. Refresh Fandor’s website and everything should work.
See also: Best VPNs for Chrome
- Click the menu icon (with three lines) in the top right-hand corner of the screen.
- Select Options.
- Click the Privacy & Security tab on the left.
- Under History, click remove individual cookies.
- Type “Fandor” (without quotes) into the search box.
- Click the Remove All Shown button and refresh Fandor’s website.
See also: Best VPNs for Firefox
- Click the settings (gear) icon in the top right-hand corner of the screen.
- Select Internet options.
- Under the Browsing history section, click Settings.
- Click the View files button.
- Enter “Fandor” (without quotes) into the search box in the top right-hand corner of the screen.
- Delete any entries that appear, then reload Fandor’s website.
Can I sign up to Fandor from outside the US and Canada?
Unfortunately, Fandor uses more robust methods to ensure people can’t watch from other countries. When you register, you’re prompted to enter credit or debit card details. This in itself isn’t a surefire solution since some, like MasterCard, are available in other countries.
However, Fandor also asks for the ZIP code that your card is registered to. Unless you have a friend or relative who lives in the US or Canada and is willing to sign up for you, this effectively prevents overseas residents from accessing Fandor’s content. You can ask Fandor to notify you when their services are available in your location, but it is unclear whether or not they will be expanding anytime soon.