Sky Go is free to existing customers with cable or satellite subscriptions that include Sky TV channels. Note that to access Sky Sports customers will need to subscribe to a plan which includes the sports package. Sky does not offer a standalone internet-only subscription or pay-per-view content, so cord-cutters will have to look elsewhere.
We cover the best VPNs in more detail, but we also cut to the chase of our top pics in this list.
We found these to be the best VPNs for Sky Go:
- NordVPN: Best option for watching Sky Go abroad. Works well with Sky Go and offers top-notch security features, very high speeds, and a 30-day money-back guaranee.
- Surfshark: A low-cost VPN that allows unlimited simultaneous connections. Effortlessly stream Sky Go on all your devices.
- ExpressVPN: Blazingly fast servers provide a high-quality streaming experience. Top-notch security, keep no logs.
- IPVanish: Good digital security paired with fast connection speeds. No logs.
- PrivateVPN: Small provider with few server locations in the UK and Ireland that can access Sky Go from anywhere.
- VyprVPN: Owns its own data centers and offers good streaming experience with high security. No torrenting.
Unfortunately, Sky Go is only available from inside the UK and Ireland. If you’re traveling or living abroad, you’ll receive an error message saying:
“Sky Go is only available to users connecting from within the UK or Republic of Ireland, unfortunately we cannot confirm that you are within these territories at the moment. Please retry later.”
How to watch Sky Go abroad with a VPN
Luckily, if you are in Europe, the US or any other country outside of the UK and Ireland and want to access Sky Go, you can still access the service with a VPN. Short for Virtual Private Network, a VPN encrypts all of a device’s internet traffic and routes it through an intermediary server in a real location of your choosing. By connecting to such a server in the UK, you will be assigned a UK IP address and be able to access geo-locked content in the country, including Sky Go.
Here’s how to watch Sky Go from abroad with a VPN:
- First, sign up for one of the VPNs listed below. We particularly recommend NordVPN.
- Download and install the VPN software on your device or configure your router to use the VPN.
- Run the VPN, choose a server in the UK, and connect.
- Clear your cookies and refresh the page with the video you want to watch.
- Enjoy the show!
Best VPNs for Sky Go Streaming
When deciding on the best VPN for Sky Go we consider the following criteria:
- Servers in the UK that can unblock Sky Go
- Fast and reliable connection speeds for uninterrupted, high-quality streams
- Quick and responsive customer support
- Easy to use apps for multiple types of devices
Below is our list of the recommended VPNs for Sky Go. All of these VPN providers meet most, if not all, of the above criteria.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
NordVPN is an excellent choice for a Sky Go VPN. It is a master of unblocking streaming services, and Sky Go is no different. Just connect to one of the dozens of UK servers available in its global network and you can start streaming Sky Go right away. Speeds are adequate and internet connections rarely drop, so streaming your favorite shows in High Definition won’t be a problem. This VPN service is backed by a true zero-logs policy and uncrackable encryption. Live chat support is available on the website. Automatic wi-fi protection will ensure you’re always secure while using public wi-fi networks.
VPN software is available for Windows, MacOS, iOS, Linux, and Android. Pre-configured routers can be purchased through Flashrouters if you use a device that doesn’t support VPNs natively. A single NordVPN subscription allows subscribers to connect up to six devices at the same time, making NordVPN a great value.
NordVPN also unblocks Netflix content in several countries including the US and UK, Hulu, HBO Now, Amazon Prime Video and BBC iPlayer, among others.
- Unblocks Sky Go and most other popular streaming sites from anywhere
- The fastest VPN we’ve tested
- Zero-logs policy
- Easy to use apps that are secure and offer privacy
- Support staff are helpful and knowledgeable
- Desktop apps take slightly longer to connect
BEST VPN FOR SKY GO:NordVPN is our first choice. Extremely fast, with impressive ublocking ability and great privacy and security features. Risk-free 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full NordVPN review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
Surfshark is a young provider that excels at unblocking region-locked content from abroad. With it, you can access Sky Go, Netflix US and UK, Amazon Prime Video, and BBC iPlayer from anywhere in the world. Surfshark is the only VPN on this list that allows you to connect an unlimited number of devices at once. That makes it a great budget option for a family or group of housemates.
Encryption is strong and Surfshark doesn’t store any logs. Torrenting is allowed and kill switches come built in on both mobile device and desktop apps to prevent data leaks. If you encounter any issues, just contact the 24/7 live chat support on the website.
Apps are available for Windows, MacOS, iOS, Android, and Linux.
- Unblocks Sky Go, Netflix US & UK, and more
- Impressive speeds
- Strong on security
- No-logs policy
- Unlimited device connections
- A relatively small server network
- Occasional slow server
BEST BUDGET VPN:Unblock Sky Go on as many devices as you want with Surfshark, an inexpensive VPN that’s backed by a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full Surfshark review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
ExpressVPN optimizes all of its servers for maximum speed and stability, offering subscribers unlimited bandwidth and data. It operates servers in several locations in the UK, and connecting is quick and easy thanks to its well-designed apps. Encryption standards are as strong as you’ll find on any VPN, namely 256-bit AES encryption (often dubbed military-grade encryption) and perfect forward secrecy. The company doesn’t log any of its customers activity nor their IP addresses, opting only to gather non-identifying metadata. Live customer support is available through the websites 24 hours per day, seven days per week.
Apps are available for Windows, MacOS, iOS, Android, and Linux (command line). If you watch Sky Go on a device that doesn’t support VPNs, you can opt to either use ExpressVPN’s DNS proxy service MediaStreamer, which is included with every subscription. You can also install ExpressVPN’s customer router firmware on compatible wifi routers, or purchase a pre-configured router directly from the company. This will route internet traffic of any devices connected to your wifi router through the VPN server, which is ideal for game consoles and smart TVs.
ExpressVPN can also unblock US and UK Netflix, Hulu, HBO Now, Amazon Prime Video and BBC iPlayer, among many others.
- Superfast servers for a great streaming experience in HD quality
- Also great for unblocking Netflix, Hulu and other popular sites
- Leading security and privacy features turned on by default
- Around-the-clock chat support available
- Advanced configuration lacking for power-users
- Slightly more expensive than some others in this list
STEADY SPEEDS:ExpressVPN is great for streaming. Reliably unblocks Sky Go as well as many other services. Exceptional speeds for buffer-free High Definition viewing along with total security and online privacy. Includes a 30-day money back guarantee.
Read our full ExpressVPN review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
IPVanish operates a global network of servers in over 60 countries, the UK being just one of them. Subscribers can take advantage of unlimited bandwidth and no user data caps to stream to their heart’s delight. The company owns, rather than rents, its servers, ensuring a high-quality stream with minimal buffering. Top-notch encryption standards are combined with a no logs policy to keep your Internet Service Provider and other snoopers out of your hair. An internet kill switch, DNS leak protection, and an obfuscation (scramble) feature are all built into the app.
Apps are available for Windows, MacOS, iOS, and Android. If your device isn’t VPN-compatible, consider purchasing a router pre-configured with all of IPV’s servers from Flashrouters.
This VPN service is also a favorite among Kodi users thanks to an easy to install and use app and the ability to work with any Kodi add-on.
- Works well with Sky Go and other popular services
- Good high-quality streams during testing
- All the security and privacy features you need for most situations
- Works well with Kodi add-ons for remote control users
- Can’t pay with cryptocurrency
- Doesn’t reliably unblock Netflix, Hulu
LARGE SERVER NETWORK:IPVanish works withany number of connected devices. Fast connections, lightweight easy to use apps, good multi-platform support. Reliable with Sky Go but can’t unblock as many other video streaming services as some of its rivals. 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full IPVanish review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
PrivateVPN is the new kid on the block, but it’s making a big splash despite its small size. Although it only has just over 100 servers in its global network compared to the 1,000+ of others on this list, download speeds are excellent and the service has no problem unblocking Sky Go. PrivateVPN doesn’t skimp on the security side of things either, utilizing powerful military-grade encryption and adhering to a no logs policy. The apps come with DNS leak protection and a kill switch.
Apps are available for Windows, MacOS, iOS, and Android. You can connect up to five devices at the same time.
PrivateVPN also unblocks Netflix in several countries including the US and UK, plus a handful of other streaming providers like Amazon Prime Video, BBC iPlayer and HBO Now.
- No issues unblocking Sky Go from abroad
- Speeds are good enough for high-quality streaming sites
- Use up to six devices simultaneously
- Gaining a reputation for their growing list of sites they unblock
- Works with Linux but requires manual configuration
- Doesn’t work in China
GREAT SPEEDS:PrivateVPN is a good family choice. Unblocks Sky Go and allows up to 6 devices on the same account. Small network of servers but fast connections. 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full PrivateVPN review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
VyprVPN is a veteran of the VPN space and remains a top choice for users worldwide, including those looking for a Sky Go VPN. The company owns and operates its own servers and even entire data centers in dozens of countries, including the UK. This VPN service offers excellent download speeds and you should have no problem streaming content live and on-demand video content from Sky Go. The doesn’t store any identifying logs.
Apps are available for Windows, MacOS, iOS, and Android. Pre-flashed routers that come configured with all of VyprVPN’s servers are available for sale as well–useful if you prefer to stream Sky Go through a game console, smart TV, or set-top box.
VyprVPN can also unblock Hulu and US Netflix.
- Unblocks Sky Go website and plenty of other streaming sites
- Servers provide reliable connections and decent speeds
- Privacy and security features won’t let you down
- Not the cheapest option here
- Apps are slick but lack advanced configuration options
- No Bitcoin or cryptocurrency payment option
EASY TO USE:VyprVPN is user friendly. Works well with Sky Go and most popular streaming services. Easy to install and get going but a bit pricey. 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full VyprVPN review.
How to watch Sky Go using a smart DNS proxy
A smart DNS proxy accomplishes the same result as a VPN in regards to Sky Go, but it works a bit differently. Instead of encrypting all of a device’s traffic and routing it through a remote server, only the DNS requests are redirected.
DNS, or domain name system, is like a phone book for the internet. But instead of matching phone numbers with people, DNS matches web domains (like “www.comparitech.com”) with real IP addresses. Every time you access a different website, you first send a DNS request to find the matching IP.
By changing the location of where these DNS requests are sent to–the UK, in this instance–you can make it appear as though you are accessing Sky Go content from within the country.
Setting up DNS servers is a bit trickier than setting up a VPN, but you usually don’t need to install any extra software. DNS settings can be adjusted using your device’s built-in settings.
- Sign up with a smart DNS proxy provider, our recommendation is Overplay.
- Validate your device’s current IP address on the provider’s website.
- Input the primary and alternate DNS server addresses into your system’s internet settings (exact process differs depending on your operating system)
- Save changes and restart your device
- Navigate to the Sky Go webpage or open the Sky Go app and enjoy!
Sky Go channels
Sky Go is an online television service from UK broadcaster Sky that was first launched in 2006. It was previously known as Sky Player, Sky Anytime PC, and Sky By Broadband. The service allows Sky TV subscribers to watch live channels and on-demand video on multiple internet-connected devices including Windows PC, Mac OSX, iOS, Android, and game consoles. That includes some HBO original content like Westworld and Last Week Tonight and a wide range of sport including live English Premier League soccer, cricket, golf and Formula 1 to name a few.
Similar to BBC iPlayer, the content on Sky Go is only available for a limited amount of time after it first airs on TV. Don’t let the latest episodes of Westworld and Last Week Tonight sit for too long! Which channels you can access depends on your Sky TV account, but up to 72 are available:
5 USA, 5*, Alibi, Animal Planet, Boomerang, Cartoon Network, Cartoonito, Channel 4, Channel 5, CITV, Comedy Central, Crime Investigation, Dave, Discovery, Disney Channel, Disney Junior, Disney XD, E!, E4, Eden, Eurosport, Eurosport 2, Film 4, FOX, Good Food, History, Home, ITV Be, ITV Encore, ITV2, ITV3, ITV4, Lifetime, More4, MTV, Nat Geo, Nat Geo Wild, News HQ, Nick Junior, Nickelodeon, Sky Arts 1, Sky Atlantic, Sky Living, Sky Living It, Sky Movies Action, Sky Movies Christmas, Sky Movies Comedy, Sky Movies Crime & Thriller, Sky Movies Disney, Sky Movies Drama, Sky Movies Family, Sky Movies Greats, Sky Movies Premiere, Sky Movies Sci-Fi & Horror, Sky Movies Select, Sky Movies Showcase, Sky News, Sky Sports, Sky Sports 1, Sky Sports 2, Sky Sports 3, Sky Sports 4, Sky Sports 5, Sky Sports F1, Sky1, Star Plus, STV, Syfy, TLC, Universal, Watch, ITV
Sky cable subscriptions start at 20 GBP per month with a minimum 1-year contract.
Subscribers can watch videos on up to two simultaneous connections by default, and up to four are available for an extra fee as part of the Sky Go Extra package. If you have used two devices in the past and want to use a third, you must remove an existing registered device before you can register another.
Sky Go Extra also allows users to download content to their local devices so they can watch offline. The content is DRM protected, which means it can’t be copied, distributed, or watched after the expiration date. Files are deleted 48 hours after viewing starts or no later than 30 days after download.