There’s a lot of great content on Netflix but much of it is restricted by the country you are in. In fact, the catalog of shows and movies you can view will vary depending on the region you’re in. In some countries, the Netflix library is very limited. For example, if you travel from the US to Spain you will find you have access to far fewer shows and can’t access you usual home streaming services. As such, many people will try to trick Netflix into thinking they are in a different region, such as the US, to regain access to their home country’s library during a trip abroad.
The simplest way to change Netflix region is by using a Virtual Private Network (VPN). A VPN tunnels your internet traffic through an intermediary server located in a country of your choice. It can mask your real IP address and replace it with one from your chosen country, thus spoofing your current location. This means if you are away from home you can access you usual home country’s streaming services wherever you are. What’s more, a VPN also encrypts all of your traffic so that no one can monitor your activity, not even your ISP.
Once you’re set up with a VPN, getting secure access to the Netflix library you want while traveling abroad (or any streaming service library from back home) is easy.
How can I change Netflix region or country?
Here’s how to change Netflix region or country from any location:
- First of all set up a Netflix account if you haven’t already.
- Now download, install and login to a VPN from the list below. We recommend NordVPN – the most reliable VPN for accessing other Netflix regions for 6 years running in our tests.
- Now connect to a VPN server in your the country you want to change region to.
- Next to the Netflix website. You should be automatically redirected to the country site for the location of your selected server.
- Now log in to Netflix if you haven’t already and watch your movie or show.
Can I watch Netflix abroad?
Yes, this method will allow you to watch Netflix anywhere abroad and is popular with people who travel frequently. For example, Americans visiting the UK will be able to securely stream American Netflix, and British travelers in the US can watch Netflix UK.
WANT TO TRY THE TOP VPN RISK FREE?
NordVPN is offering a fully-featured risk-free 30-day trial if you sign up at this page. You can use the VPN rated #1 for Netflix with no restrictions for a month—great if you want to binge your favorite show or are going on a short trip.
There are no hidden terms—just contact support within 30 days if you decide NordVPN isn't right for you and you'll get a full refund. Start your NordVPN trial here.
We’ll give a detailed breakdown of each VPN later in this article. Here’s a summary of the best 7 VPNs to change region on Netflix:
- NordVPN The most reliable VPN for switching Netflix countries. #1 in our Netflix tests for 6 years running. Very high speeds, strong security, and a 30-day money-back guarantee.
- Surfshark Our favorite service for switching between international Netflix libraries on a budget. Strong on security, with steady speeds and no connection limit.
- ExpressVPN Works well with Netflix and a host of other streaming services. Fast connection speeds and a strong security offering.
- CyberGhost Another budget option, works well with Netflix
- PrivateVPN Great up-and-coming VPN which works well with Netflix
- SaferVPN Works with Netflix US and UK libraries.
- Hotspot Shield A low-cost, reliable service for watching American Netflix.
Bear in mind that Netflix is aware that subscribers are using this tactic to access different libraries and is cracking down. When it discovers that a particular IP address belongs to a VPN provider, it will block traffic from that address. In this case, you’ll see a proxy error stating:
“Whoops, something went wrong. Streaming error. You seem to be using an unblocker or proxy. Please turn off any of these services and try again.”
Many providers are committed to providing a workaround and maintaining servers that offer reliable VPN access to various Netflix libraries. Even so, not all of these providers offer a comparable service. For streaming, you need to ensure your VPN is fast and reliable. And you also want to know that your chosen provider values security and privacy to the utmost degree.
With the above in mind, we’ve put together a list of the best VPNs for watching any country’s version of Netflix based on the following criteria:
- Works well with the most popular Netflix country catalogs like Netflix US, UK, Canada, Japan and Australia (bonus points for working with other catalogs)
- Has a large selection of server locations
- Provides fast and reliable access
- Uses strong encryption backed by additional security features
- Keep no logs of user activity or IP addresses
- Offers knowledgeable and accessible customer support
If you’re interested in exactly how we analyze and rank VPNs you can find out more in our VPN research and testing methodology.
The best VPNs to change region on Netflix
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
NordVPN offers up a huge network of streaming servers, comprising more than 3,300 in over 60 countries. It is known for its ability to securely access Netflix, and works with a host of libraries including the US, Canada, the Netherlands, France, Spain, UK, Australia, Brazil, Italy, India, and Germany. What’s more, this service is among the fastest we’ve tested, meaning it’s well-suited for high-resolution streaming.
This VPN can also provide secure access to many other popular streaming sites such as Amazon Prime Video, Hulu, HBO, and BBC iPlayer. Some of NordVPN’s servers are even optimized specifically for video streaming. And if you have any issues, you can just ping customer support.
NordVPN is another strong player from a privacy protection and security standpoint. It keeps no logs whatsoever, not even bandwidth data caps. Security is in the form of 256-bit banking-grade encryption with perfect forward secrecy. DNS leak protection and a customizable kill switch help ensure your data never leaves the encrypted tunnel. One more unique security feature is that certain dedicated servers are optimized to protect against Distributed Denial of Service (DDoS) attacks.
You can install NordVPN on up to six devices simultaneously. It has desktop clients for Windows, Linux, and MacOS, as well as apps for iOS and Android.
NordVPN speed test data
|Average Connection Speed - North America (USA)||460 Mbps|
|Average Connection Speed - Europe (UK)||349 Mbps|
|Average Connection Speed - Asia (Hong Kong)||299 Mbps|
- Good value and performance option for changing Netflix region
- The fastest VPN we’ve tested
- Connect 6 devices concurrently
- Specific servers are optimized for certain tasks, e.g. torrenting
- Excellent security and privacy offering
- Desktop app can be slow
BEST FOR NETFLIX:NordVPN is our first choice since it’s versatile and works with so many different Netflix libraries from abroad. Strong online privacy and security credentials. Try it risk-free thanks to its 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full review of NordVPN.
works with NetflixTested Jan 2022
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
Surfshark works with US Netflix as well as a host of other libraries including Netflix UK, Japan, Netherlands, India, and France. If you try to securely access an unsupported library, Surfshark will redirect you to the US Netflix library. That means every server works with Netflix regardless of where you connect. Best of all, Surfshark is the sole provider on this list to allow an unlimited number of simultaneous connections. It’s a great option for a family or group of housemates.
If your streaming device doesn’t support VPN apps, such as a game console or Apple TV, Surfshark has you covered. Like ExpressVPN, every Surfshark subscription comes with a standalone smart DNS service. Setting this up allows you to watch US Netflix on devices that allow you to modify DNS settings. Note that the smart DNS proxy is not as secure as the normal VPN, which uses strong encryption and automatic kill switch protection to prevent data leaks. If you encounter any problems, just consult with 24/7 live chat support. Surfshark keeps no logs and allows torrenting.
Software is available for Windows, MacOS, iOS, Android, and Linux.
Surfshark speed test data
|Average Connection Speed - North America (USA)||317 Mbps|
|Average Connection Speed - Europe (UK)||253 Mbps|
|Average Connection Speed - Asia (Hong Kong)||400 Mbps|
- Works with Netflix US, UK, and others
- Unlimited devices
- Includes a standalone smart DNS service
- Accepts Bitcoin
- Relatively small server network
- Occasional slow server
BEST BUDGET PICK:Surfshark is a great low-cost option for watching Netflix abroad. Comes with strong security, speedy connections, and a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full Surfshark review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
ExpressVPN is an extremely reputable provider based in the British Virgin Islands. Its more-than-ample network of over 3,000 servers in 94 countries means you’ll have access to a huge choice of Netflix libraries. Indeed, ExpressVPN reliably works with the US, UK, Japan, Canada, and France versions of Netflix, among others. If a chosen server doesn’t work, you can simply contact a live customer support agent to determine which is the optimal server to connect to.
Besides Netflix, ExpressVPN can grant you secure access to plenty of other streaming services including Amazon Prime Video, Hulu, and HBO Max. All servers are optimized for speed and this, coupled with a reliable service, means you can stream shows and movies seamlessly.
As we mentioned, privacy and security are also top concerns to prevent ISPs, government agencies, or hackers snooping on your online activity or viewing your personal information. ExpressVPN delivers on this front with 256-bit AES encryption (considered military-grade) and perfect forward secrecy. These features are further supported by an automatic kill switch — which drops the internet connection if the VPN connection is lost — and DNS leak protection. ExpressVPN doesn’t monitor user activity and won’t record your IP address.
Software is available on Windows, MacOS, iOS, Android, Linux, and certain wifi routers.
ExpressVPN speed test data
|Average Connection Speed - North America (USA)||136 Mbps|
|Average Connection Speed - Europe (UK)||134 Mbps|
|Average Connection Speed - Asia (Hong Kong)||136 Mbps|
- Secure access to various Netflix libraries
- High speeds for downloading and video streaming
- Hard to beat on privacy and security
- Substantial network across 94 countries and with over 3,000 servers
- Slightly more expensive than some other services
- Few options for power users
GREAT FOR STREAMING:ExpressVPN is a speedy, security-conscious provider that reliably works with Netflix from any location. Also boasts impressive security features and a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full review of ExpressVPN.
Money-back guarantee: 45 DAYS
CyberGhost is operated from Romania and offers a growing network of servers with more than 7,000 in 90 countries. While it doesn’t work with as many of the regional Netflix catalogs as NordVPN, Surfshark or ExpressVPN, it is committed to providing access to US Netflix, which is the version with the largest library. CyberGhost additionally works with Netflix UK, France, Germany, and a growing number of other Netflix catalogs.
It will also work with other popular sites like BBC iPlayer, Hulu, and Amazon Prime Video. Many of these are easily accessible through a dedicated tab within the CyberGhost client. Simply click the site you want to access and you’ll be connected to the appropriate server. Connection speeds are high enough for smooth streaming in HD or even UHD.
This provider is another top-performer for privacy and security. It doesn’t monitor any user activity and never records any information that can be tied to a particular user. 256-bit military-grade encryption is used with perfect forward secrecy, backed by an automatic kill switch and DNS leak protection.
This provider allows up to seven simultaneous connections with a basic plan. Apps (and some browser extensions) are available for Windows, MacOS, Android, and iOS.
CyberGhost speed test data
|Average Connection Speed - North America (USA)||853 Mbps|
|Average Connection Speed - Europe (UK)||480 Mbps|
|Average Connection Speed - Asia (Hong Kong)||312 Mbps|
- Works with Netflix US from any country
- Scored very highly in our speed testing
- Operates a network of more than 5,000 servers in 90 countries
- Low cost
- WebRTC IPv6 leaks in macOS
- No Linux GUI
easy-to-use apps:CyberGhost is the beginners' favorite choice that works well with Netflix and other popular streaming services. Stores no logs and streams HD video reliably. 45-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full review of CyberGhost.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
PrivateVPN runs a small network of servers, but it does cover 60+ countries, meaning potential access to a wide range of Netflix libraries. It works reliably with the US, UK, Japan, Spain, Brazil, France, and Italy catalogs, among others. In addition, you’ll be able to use this VPN with content providers such as BBC iPlayer, Hulu, Amazon Prime Video, and other popular streaming sites. PrivateVPN doesn’t disappoint on speed and its reliable service will enable you to watch shows and stream videos without buffering.
As for security, you can switch between 128-bit and 256-bit high-level encryption. The former is still considered extremely secure. You also have DNS leak protection and an automatic kill switch as backup. A no-logs policy means you don’t have to worry about your data falling into the wrong hands.
PrivateVPN plans allow VPN users to connect up to five devices simultaneously. Desktop clients can be installed on Windows and MacOS, and mobile apps are available for both Android and iOS.
PrivateVPN speed test data
|Average Connection Speed - North America (USA)||94 Mbps|
|Average Connection Speed - Europe (UK)||57 Mbps|
|Average Connection Speed - Asia (Hong Kong)||62 Mbps|
- Works with a wide range of Netflix country catalogs
- Very impressive speeds
- Keeps no logs whatsoever
- Small number of servers
- Doesn’t have 24/7 live chat
FAST SPEEDS:PrivateVPN works with US Netflix and many other country versions. Allows up to 6 devices on the same account. Small network of servers but fast and capable connections. 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full review of PrivateVPN.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
SaferVPN is a US-based provider with more than 700 high-speed servers in over 30 countries. It reliably works with Netflix libraries including the US and UK catalogs. Specific optimized servers are labeled for streaming, so you know which ones to choose without contacting support. You can also use SaferVPN to watchBBC iPlayer, Amazon Prime Video, and more from your current country.
It being in the US might be a concern from a privacy standpoint, but SaferVPN keeps no logs of user activity and never records IP addresses. Therefore, no information could be tied to an individual. Aside from privacy protection, you can also enjoy premium security with 256-bit AES encryption, DNS leak protection, and an automatic kill switch.
A basic plan allows for up to five simultaneous connections with apps available for Windows, MacOS, Android, and iOS.
SaferVPN speed test data
|Average Connection Speed - North America (USA)||39 Mbps|
|Average Connection Speed - Europe (UK)||35.3 Mbps|
|Average Connection Speed - Asia (Hong Kong)||35 Mbps|
- Works well with Netflix US
- Speeds are acceptable
- Limited features compared to other VPNs
- Doesn’t work in China
STREAM SAFELY ABROAD: SaferVPN is a great choice for streaming as it’s quick and easy to use, with a great set of security tools built-in.
Read our full review of SaferVPN.
Money-back guarantee: 45 DAYS
Editor’s Note: Hotspot Shield is owned by Pango, Comparitech’s parent company.
Hotspot Shield is an excellent low-cost alternative for securely accessing Netflix. Despite having a wallet-friendly price, it boasts a huge server network of more than 1,800 across 80+ countries. It’s incredibly fast and works with multiple Netflix libraries, as well as Hulu, Amazon Prime Video, and other popular streaming sites.
Hotspot Shield lives up to top-rated provider status on the security front too. Features include 256-bit AES encryption backed by perfect forward secrecy. There’s also a kill switch (Windows only) and protection against DNS and WebRTC leaks. Mobile apps come with automatic wifi protection. Hotspot Shield keeps minimal logs but none that can be used to trace activity back to an individual user.
You can download apps for Windows, MacOS, Android, and iOS. Up to five devices can be connected to the VPN at any given time. Support is provided via 24/7 live chat or a web form.
Hotspot Shield speed test data
|No value||Hotspot Shield|
|Average Connection Speed - North America (USA)||48 Mbps|
|Average Connection Speed - Europe (UK)||49 Mbps|
|Average Connection Speed - Asia (Hong Kong)||48 Mbps|
- Low cost option for changing Netflix region
- Excellent speeds for streaming HD video
- No Linux app
- Doesn’t accept Bitcoin
High Speed, low cost Netflix VPN:Hotspot Shield offers excellent discounts on long-term plans and is ideal for watching Netflix and other streaming sites. The company offers a generous 45-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full review of Hotspot Shield
Video: How to change Netflix region
Can I use a free VPN to change region on Netflix?
Free VPN providers are definitely easy to find and indeed can be very tempting. But we’d have to advise you to steer clear for several reasons. Providing full access to Netflix requires a lot of effort on the part of a provider and free services simply aren’t profitable enough to justify these resources on an ongoing basis. A free VPN might let you explore another country’s Netflix catalog, but when it comes time to watch you’ll almost certainly encounter the proxy error.
What’s more, these services typically provide users with a limited selection of servers, which means you’re less likely to be able to access the Netflix library you’re looking for. Even if you do get access, chances are you’ll be frustrated with slow connection speeds and even having to wait in a queue for some servers. You may also find free VPNs don’t offer unlimited bandwidth, making it difficult to do any streaming of HD content. This type of monthly data cap isn’t an issue when using any of the premium VPNs recommended above.
Practicality isn’t the only issue with free services. We’ve put a heavy emphasis on privacy and security above because it’s important for users to know what’s happening with their data. The providers of free VPN services need to make money somehow and often do so through questionable methods. Some interrupt your experience with annoying ads, log your activity and sell data to third parties, or even carry malware.
Which country versions of Netflix are available?
Netflix started out slowly and solely operated in the US for its first decade or so. It finally expanded internationally with Canadian Netflix in 2010, and then there was no stopping. After a massive 2016 expansion, Netflix is now available in the vast majority of countries, the exceptions being China, Crimea, Syria, and North Korea. When it comes to China, not wanting to miss out on this massive market, Netflix has made a push for licensing deals in lieu of having an actual presence in the country.
Although Netflix is available in most countries, the catalog of shows and movies varies greatly depending on your region. Aside from having different titles available, some regions have a very small selection. This is due to the different licensing agreements in each region. Here are the top twelve international Netflix libraries in terms of the number of shows and movies available (source: JustWatch.com).
Our own Netflix study showed a big difference in cost and available titles depending on where you live.
The below map from Netflix’s website shows (in red) where the service is currently available:
How to change Netflix region on iPhone
To access different Netflix libraries on your phone, you’ll need to use a VPN to spoof your location. Don’t worry, it’s not as complex as it sounds.
Here’s how to change Netflix region on iPhone:
- Subscribe to a reputable VPN provider with an easy-to-use mobile app. We recommend NordVPN.
- On your iPhone, go to the App Store and download and install your VPN app.
- Log into the app using your VPN provider credentials.
- Connect to a server location that corresponds to the Netflix library you want to watch. For example, use a US server to access Netflix US.
- Now open your Netflix app, and you should have access to the library you want.
Note that even if a VPN works with the country you want, you might find that not all servers in that location will work. If you run into issues, contact your VPN’s customer support team for help with troubleshooting.
How to change Netflix region on an Android phone
Accessing a different country’s Netflix library on your Android phone is possible if you use a VPN. And it’s really quite simple to set up.
Here’s how to change Netflix region on an Android phone:
- Sign up with your chosen VPN provider (choose one with a good Android app like NordVPN).
- On your Android phone, go to the Google Play Store and download the app for your VPN.
- Once installed, log into the app with your new VPN credentials.
- Select a server in the correct location for the Netflix library you want to watch. For example, to access Netflix UK, connect to a UK server.
- Now launch your Netflix app and you should be able to watch content from your desired library.
Although many VPNs work with Netflix, not all work with every library and even for the libraries they do work with, not every server will work. Netflix regularly adds new blocks with VPN providers constantly introducing workarounds in a game of cat an mouse. As such, you may need to get in touch with your VPN’s customer support team for assistance.
How to change Netflix region on PS4
PS4 does not support native VPN apps, but there are still a couple of ways you can change Netflix region on your PS4. One is to use a VPN router, which will provide VPN coverage for every device that’s connected to that router. Another method involves connecting your gaming console to a VPN-connected computer via an ethernet cable, but this is fairly cumbersome.
If you’re looking for the simplest way to change Netflix region on your PS4, ExpressVPN’s MediaStreamer may be your best bet. This comes free with every ExpressVPN subscription, which is worth bearing in mind when you’re choosing the most suitable VPN for your needs. The one issue with MediaStreamer is that it’s a DNS service versus a VPN. This means it doesn’t encrypt data so won’t protect your connection.
If you wish to try MediaStreamer, here are the steps:
- Sign up for an ExpressVPN account and submit payment.
- Sign in to the ExpressVPN website and go to the ExpressVPN DNS settings page.
- Go to IP address registration, select Register my IP address, and toggle Automatically register my IP address to the on position.
- Head to the ExpressVPN setup page and locate your MediaStreamer DNS server IP address.
- On your PS4, go to Settings > Network > Set Up Internet Connection.
- Under How do you want to connect to the network?, choose Use Wi-Fi or Use a LAN cable. If prompted to use your existing wifi settings, select Yes.
- Under How do you want to set up the Internet connection?, choose Custom.
- Select your wifi connection and enter your password.
- Choose the following settings: IP Address Settings – Automatic; DHCP Host Name – Do Not Specify; DNS Settings – Manual. Then select Primary DNS.
- Enter your MediaStreamer DNS server IP address (found in step 4) and click Done then Next.
- Finally, select the following settings: MTU Settings – Automatic; Proxy Server – Do Not Use; Internet settings updated – Test Internet Connection.
Note you will have to restart your PS4 for these changes to take effect.
How to change Netflix region on Roku
Roku is another system that does not support native VPN apps, but there are a few options for changing Netflix region on Roku if you’re willing to put in some effort.
Here’s how to change Netflix country on Roku:
- Set up a VPN router and connect your Roku to it.
- Create a VPN -protected wifi hotspot on your laptop computer, and connect your Roku to it.
- Screencast to the Roku using a VPN-protected Android smartphone or tablet.
We go into more detail about these options in our Best VPNs for Roku post.
Finding the best VPNs for changing Netflix region: our methodology
It can be frustrating to travel abroad and find you can no longer access your usual Netflix library from home. Unfortunately, few VPNs work well with Netflix but the good news is that we’ve found those that do! Below, we’ll go over our methodology for finding the best VPNs for changing your Netflix region:
- Netflix-compatible servers: With so many VPNs unable to help you access Netflix from abroad, it can be difficult to find the right one to use. Our international team of researchers has tested a wide range of VPNs across dozens of Netflix libraries. That way, you can be sure that those we’re recommending are the best available.
- Global network: Netflix is available in most countries worldwide. With this in mind, it’s important to have a VPN with a global network of servers. These should be available across dozens of countries including the USA, UK, and Canada to name a few. In the case of most VPNs listed, thousands of servers are at your disposal.
- Speed: At the very least, Netflix recommends a connection speed of 25 Mbps for streaming in 4K. All of the best VPNs for changing Netflix region are more than fast enough to support this. Thanks to the added benefit of unlimited bandwidth, you’ll be able to stream Netflix without lag or buffering, regardless of your location.
- Security: If you want to be able to access Netflix securely, you’ll need a VPN that uses 256-bit AES encryption. It should also provide DNS leak protection and a kill switch. We test each VPN for leaks and look for those that offer extra protection, be it through Double VPN servers, an ad-blocker or password manager.
- Privacy: Just like not every VPN works with Netflix, not every VPN protects your privacy. Having looked at over 140 VPN logging policies, we’ve been able to identify those that don’t keep any identifying logs of users. In many cases, you’ll even be able to pay for the VPN subscription anonymously in Bitcoin.
- Ease of use: One of the advantages of testing so many VPNs is that we can discover which VPNs have the best apps. With the VPNs in this post, you’ll find apps that are easy to install and navigate. Furthermore, each VPN even has 24-hour live chat and email support should you have any questions.
- Value for money: Ironically, there are VPNs that fail to offer much of the above yet cost significantly more than the VPNs found here! Of course, it helps that for each and every one, we offer a discount coupon. Better still, all of the best VPNs for changing your Netflix region come with a risk-free money-back guarantee.
To find out more about how we test each VPN in categories such as speed and security, take a look at our VPN testing methodology post.
How to change Netflix region FAQ
Can I use a DNS proxy to change region on Netflix?
Many providers of DNS proxy services will advertise the ability to watch Netflix and other streaming sites. Indeed, as long as the IP address they provide isn’t blocked by Netflix, then you’ll be able to gain access and enjoy streaming shows and movies.
However, the major problem is that it’s very easy for Netflix to block DNS proxies, so they end up being very unreliable. They also tend to have fewer countries available, so you have less chance of finding the library you want. One proxy that doesn’t suffer from these issues is ExpressVPN's MediaStreamer DNS service, which is included in every subscription. It's used by default when you connect to the VPN but can also be configured separately.
More importantly for some, a DNS proxy does not encrypt your traffic, so your activity is open to your ISP and anyone else who might be snooping. Plus these services are often free, and in the same vein as a free VPN service, they may be collecting and selling your information, injecting annoying ads, or using other shady or invasive practices.
Does Netflix allow VPNs to access content?
As mentioned earlier, Netflix has cracked down on allowing subscribers to watch content through a VPN. If an IP address is known to come from a VPN server, traffic from that IP address will be blocked and you’ll see a proxy error. This means that with some VPN providers, you’ll be locked out even if you connect through a server in the country you’re in, simply for the fact you’re using a VPN.
This practice seems illogical from a business perspective as it doesn’t really do Netflix any favors and is frustrating to viewers. However, it is understandable when you consider the content licensing restrictions that Netflix has to abide by. These restrictions mean that the company isn’t allowed to show its entire library in every geographical location. Without these constraints, Netflix could feasibly be the same anywhere.
How do I change my Netflix billing country?
If you want to change your Netflix billing country, you actually need to close your account and then restart it in your new country. Assuming you’re relocating, you’ll want to be billed in the currency that corresponds to your new location. To do this, wait until your current billing period is up and cancel your account. Then, restart your account in the new location.
Is it illegal to change my Netflix region?
While this article isn't intended to be legal advice, the worst thing likely to happen is you'll be shown a very limited content library (restricted to Netflix-owned shows) or receive a proxy error.
The only other reason you might be likely to get in trouble is if VPNs are illegal in your country, but this is only the case in a few regions.
Changed region but still getting a Netflix proxy error? Try this:
Using one of the VPNs on our list above should provide you access to a range of Netflix libraries. However, there could still be one or more hurdles to overcome. We’ve got a checklist for you to run through to make sure you get to watch your shows.
- Check with the VPN provider’s customer support team to see which server to use. They get these requests all the time and you should be able to receive a prompt response. This is your best bet if your provider offers live chat. If not, the next couple of options might be worth trying first.
- Disconnect and reconnect to the same server. You’ll sometimes end up with a different IP address that may not be blacklisted.
- Try connecting to a different server in the same region. Again, this will give you a different IP address that might not be blocked.
- Log out of any accounts that cache your IP address, such as any Google account.
- Go into your device or browser settings and disable any location services.
- Try clearing your cache, cookies, and temporary files.
- If you’re using Windows 10, you can try disabling IPv6 in your wifi properties and flushing your DNS cache using the command prompt ipconfig /flushdns.
- If you’re using a wifi network and have access to the router, you can rename the network to opt out of Google’s geolocation services. Append “_nomap” (without quotation marks) to the end of the network name and reconnect your device to the network.
What share of the streaming market does Netflix have?
Netflix currently has a 20 percent share of the streaming market. It’s still a dominant force, but its lead has reduced significantly over the past year, from 29 percent. Still, things aren’t all bad, as Netflix still gained 37 million subscribers during that time and generated over $25 billion in revenue.
Can you use Netflix in two different countries at the same time?
Yes, you can. If you have a standard subscription, you can watch on two devices at the same time and it doesn’t matter where you log in from. If you have a premium plan, you can watch on up to four devices at a time.
How do I change Netflix region on a smart TV?
To change your Netflix region on a smart TV, you’ll need to install a VPN app. This may be an app for Android TV or Amazon Fire TV (Fire TV Stick). You can search for these apps via the Google Play Store and via the Amazon Fire TV main menu. Simply download and install the VPN app, connect to a server in the Netflix region you’d like to access, and launch the Netflix app (and sign in if necessary). You should now see the content from the new library. Note that an alternative is installing a VPN on your router (manual configuration is required).
Can Netflix detect if I use a VPN?
Over the years, Netflix has gotten very skilled at identifying the subtle signs of VPN usage. Providers that don’t have the resources or time to keep finding new workarounds are inevitably blocked, to the point that it’s now quite rare for a VPN to work reliably with this service. In fact, many of those that claim to be able to securely access Netflix really only let you browse the US library. At the time of writing, only a select few services provide access to multiple Netflix catalogs.
Do I need a US payment method for US Netflix?
One of the many ways Netflix restricts its content is by requiring payment in the local currency. You won’t be able to pay for a US Netflix subscription in pounds or euros, for instance. However, there is a way around this since Netflix allows you to pay in gift cards.
Now, these gift cards are also currency-specific, so you’ll need one that’s loaded with US dollars. You can purchase digital vouchers from a variety of online retailers (or buy one in-store, if you’re traveling in the US), then simply enter the code on the Netflix website.
It’s worth mentioning that Netflix accounts themselves aren’t region-locked. In other words, even if you successfully create a US Netflix account, you’ll still only be able to watch titles that are available in your current location. The only difference is the monthly subscription price and the currency you pay in.
Can I get Netflix subtitles in my language?
Netflix technically supports subtitles and alternate audio for a wide range of languages, but not every TV show and movie has been translated or dubbed. The service claims that it “shows the 5-7 most relevant languages based on your location and language settings”, so if you select Hindi as your preferred language, these subtitles are more likely to be suggested over French or German when you’re watching something. Alternatively, you can filter content by subtitle language.