If you have a Netflix subscription, you can access content from pretty much wherever you are in the world, except in a handful of countries. However, the catalog of shows and movies you can view will vary depending on the region you’re in. In some countries, the Netflix library is very limited. As such, you may want to trick Netflix into thinking you are in a different region, such as the US, to access a better variety of available content.
The simplest way to do this is by using a Virtual Private Network (VPN). A VPN tunnels your internet traffic through an intermediary server located in a country of your choice. It can mask your real IP address and replace it with one from your chosen country, thus spoofing your current location. What’s more, a VPN also encrypts all of your traffic so that no one can monitor your activity, not even your ISP.
Once you’re set up with a VPN, getting access to the Netflix library you want is pretty straightforward.
How can I change Netflix region or country?
Here’s how to change Netflix region or country:
- Set up a Netflix account if you haven’t already.
- Download, install and login to a VPN from our list below. We recommend NordVPN.
- Connect to a server in your selected country.
- Go to the Netflix website. You should be automatically redirected to the site for the location your selected server is in.
- Log in to Netflix if you haven’t already and select your content.
Can I watch Netflix abroad?
Yes, this method will allow you to watch Netflix anywhere abroad. For example, if you are in the UK and want to watch American Netflix or if you are in the USA or Canada and want to watch UK Netflix or Japanese Netflix, then using a VPN will allow you to switch country.
WANT TO TRY THE TOP VPN RISK FREE?
NordVPN has re-introduced its popular risk-free trial. Its no-questions-asked money-back guarantee means that you can try its top-rated service for a month, then cancel for a full refund if you're not happy.
This is perfect if you're looking for a VPN for a short trip or to binge your favorite show. We successfully tested the guarantee last week but NordVPN could remove this at any time.
We’ll give a detailed breakdown of each VPN later in this article. Here’s a summary of the best 7 VPNs to change region on Netflix:
- NordVPN The most reliable VPN for switching Netflix countries. Very high speeds, strong security, and a 30-day money-back guarantee.
- Surfshark Our favorite service for switching Netflix libraries on a budget. Strong on security, with steady speeds and no connection limit.
- ExpressVPN Works well with Netflix and a host of other streaming services. Fast connection speeds and a strong security offering.
- CyberGhost Another budget option, works well with Netflix
- PrivateVPN Great up-and-coming VPN which works well with Netflix
- SaferVPN Unblocks Netflix US and UK libraries.
- Hotspot Shield A low-cost, reliable service for unblocking Netflix.
Bear in mind that Netflix is aware that subscribers are using this tactic to access geo-restricted content from overseas and is cracking down. When it discovers that a particular IP address belongs to a VPN provider, it will block traffic from that address. In this case, you’ll see a proxy error stating:
“Whoops, something went wrong. Streaming error. You seem to be using an unblocker or proxy. Please turn off any of these services and try again.”
Thankfully, many providers are committed to providing a workaround and maintaining servers that offer reliable VPN access to various Netflix libraries. Even so, not all of these providers offer a comparable service. For streaming, you need to ensure your VPN is fast and reliable. And you also want to know that your chosen provider values security and privacy to the utmost degree.
With the above in mind, we’ve put together a list of the best VPNs for watching any country’s version of Netflix based on the following criteria:
- Bypasses the Netflix proxy error
- Has a large selection of server locations
- Provides a fast and reliable service
- Uses strong encryption backed by additional security features
- Keep no logs of user activity or IP addresses
- Offers knowledgeable and accessible customer support
The best VPNs to change region on Netflix
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
NordVPN offers up a huge network of streaming servers, comprising more than 3,300 in over 60 countries. It is known for its ability to unblock Netflix, including the US Netflix, Canadian Netflix, Netherlands, France, Spain, UK, Australia, Brazil, Italy, India, and Germany catalogs. What’s more, this service is faster than any other we’ve tested, meaning it’s uniquely suited for high-resolution streaming.
It can also access many other popular streaming sites such as Amazon Prime Video, Hulu, HBO, and BBC iPlayer. Plus its fast connection speeds make it even more ideal for enjoying your favorite shows and movies. Some of NordVPN’s servers are even optimized specifically for video streaming. And if you have any issues, you can just ping customer support.
NordVPN is another strong player from a privacy protection and security standpoint. It keeps no logs whatsoever, not even bandwidth data caps. Security is in the form of 256-bit banking-grade encryption with perfect forward secrecy. DNS leak protection and a customizable kill switch help ensure your data never leaves the encrypted tunnel. One more unique security feature is that certain dedicated servers are optimized to protect against Distributed Denial of Service (DDoS) attacks.
You can install NordVPN on up to six devices simultaneously. It has desktop clients for Windows, Linux, and MacOS, as well as apps for iOS and Android.
- Good value and performance option for changing Netflix region
- The fastest VPN we’ve tested
- Connect 6 devices concurrently
- Specific servers are optimized for certain tasks, e.g. torrenting
- Excellent security and privacy offering
- Desktop app can be slow
BEST FOR NETFLIX:NordVPN is our first choice since it’s versatile and easily unblocks several Netflix libraries from abroad. Strong online privacy and security credentials. Try it risk-free thanks to its 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full review of NordVPN.
unblocks netflixTested Jan 2021
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
Surfshark unblocks Netflix US, UK, Japan, Netherlands, India, and France. If you connect to any other country, Surfshark will redirect you to the US Netflix library. That means every server unblocks Netflix regardless of where you connect. Best of all, Surfshark is the sole provider on this list to allow an unlimited number of simultaneous connections. It’s a great option for a family or group of housemates.
If your streaming device doesn’t support VPN apps, such as a game console or Apple TV, Surfshark has you covered. Like ExpressVPN, every Surfshark subscription comes with a standalone smart DNS service. Setting this up allows you to unblock US Netflix on devices that allow you to modify DNS settings. Note that the smart DNS proxy is not as secure as the normal VPN, which uses strong encryption and automatic kill switch protection to prevent data leaks. If you encounter any problems, just consult with 24/7 live chat support. Surfshark keeps no logs and allows torrenting.
Software is available for Windows, MacOS, iOS, Android, and Linux.
- Unblocks Netflix US, UK, and others
- Unlimited devices
- Includes a standalone smart DNS service
- Accepts Bitcoin
- Relatively small server network
- Occasional slow server
BEST BUDGET PICK:Surfshark is a great low-cost option for unblocking Netflix abroad. Comes with strong security, speedy connections, and a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full Surfshark review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
ExpressVPN is an extremely well-reputed provider based in the British Virgin Islands. Its more-than-ample network of over 1,500 servers in 94 countries means you’ll have access to a huge choice of Netflix libraries. Indeed, ExpressVPN reliably unblocks the US, UK, Japan, Canada, and France versions of Netflix, among others. If a chosen server doesn’t work, you can simply contact a live customer support agent to determine which is the optimal server to connect to.
Besides Netflix, ExpressVPN can grant you access to plenty of other geo-restricted content providers including that from BBC iPlayer, Amazon Prime Video, Hulu, and HBO Go. All servers are optimized for streaming speed and this, coupled with a reliable service, means you can stream shows and movies seamlessly.
As we mentioned, privacy and security are also top concerns to prevent ISPs, government agencies, or hackers snooping on your activity or viewing your personal information. ExpressVPN delivers on this front with 256-bit AES encryption (considered military-grade) and perfect forward secrecy. These features are further supported by an automatic kill switch — which drops the internet connection if the VPN connection is lost — and DNS leak protection. ExpressVPN doesn’t monitor user activity and won’t record your IP address.
Software is available on Windows, MacOS, iOS, Android, Linux, and certain wifi routers.
- Easily change Netflix region
- High speeds for downloading and video streaming
- Hard to beat on privacy and security
- Substantial network across 94 countries and with over 2,000 servers
- Slightly more expensive than some other services
- Few options for power users
GREAT FOR STREAMING:ExpressVPN is a speedy, security-conscious provider that reliably unblocks Netflix from any location. Also boasts impressive security features and a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full review of ExpressVPN.
Money-back guarantee: 45 DAYS
CyberGhost is operated from Romania and offers a growing network of servers with more than 5,700 in 90 countries. While it doesn’t unblock quite as many of the regional Netflix catalogs as ExpressVPN, it is committed to providing access to US Netflix, which is the version with the largest library. CyberGhost additionally unblocks Netflix UK, France, German and a growing number of other Netflix catalogs.
It can also unblock other popular sites like BBC iPlayer, Hulu, and Amazon Prime Video. Many of these are easily accessible through a dedicated tab within the CyberGhost client. Simply click the site you want to access and you’ll be connected to the appropriate server. Connection speeds are high enough for smooth streaming in HD or even UHD.
This provider is another top-performer for privacy and security. It doesn’t monitor any user activity and never records any information that can be tied to a particular user. 256-bit military-grade encryption is used with perfect forward secrecy, backed by an automatic kill switch and DNS leak protection.
This provider allows up to seven simultaneous connections with a basic plan. Apps are available for Windows, MacOS, Android, and iOS.
- Works with Netflix US from any country
- Scored very highly in our speed testing
- Operates a network of more than 5,000 servers in 90 countries
- Low cost
- WebRTC IPv6 leaks in macOS
- No Linux GUI
easy-to-use apps:CyberGhost is the beginners' favorite choice that works well with Netflix and streaming sites. Stores no logs and streams HD video reliably. 45-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full review of CyberGhost.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
PrivateVPN runs a small network of servers, but it does cover 56 countries, meaning potential access to a wide range of Netflix libraries. It can reliably access US, UK, Japan, Spain, Brazil, France, and Italy catalogs, among others. In addition, you’ll be able to unblock content providers such as BBC iPlayer, Hulu, Amazon Prime Video, and other popular streaming sites. PrivateVPN doesn’t disappoint on speed and its reliable service will enable you to watch shows and stream videos without buffering.
As for security, depending on the protocol you choose, you’ll get 128-bit or 256-bit banking-grade encryption. The former is still considered extremely secure. You also have DNS leak protection and an automatic kill switch as backup. A no-logs policy means you don’t have to worry about your data falling into the wrong hands.
PrivateVPN plans allow for up to five devices to be connected simultaneously. Desktop clients can be installed on Windows and MacOS, and mobile apps are available for both Android and iOS.
- Unblocks a wide range of Netflix country catalogs
- Unblocks Hulu, Amazon Prime Video, and BBC iPlayer
- Keeps no logs whatsoever
- Small number of servers
- Doesn’t have 24/7 live chat
FAST SPEEDS:PrivateVPN unblocks US Netflix and many other country versions. Allows up to 6 devices on the same account. Small network of servers but fast and capable connections. 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full review of PrivateVPN.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
SaferVPN is a US-based provider with more than 700 high-speed servers in over 30 countries. It reliably unblocks Netflix libraries including the US and UK catalogs. Specific optimized servers are labeled for streaming, so you know which ones to choose without contacting support. You can also use SaferVPN to watch content for BBC iPlayer, Amazon Prime Video, and more.
It being in the US might be a concern from a privacy standpoint, but SaferVPN keeps no logs of user activity and never records IP addresses. Therefore, no information could be tied to an individual. Aside from privacy protection, you can also enjoy premium security with 256-bit AES encryption, DNS leak protection, and an automatic kill switch.
A basic plan allows for up to five simultaneous connections with apps available for Windows, MacOS, Android, and iOS.
- Works well with Netflix US
- Speeds are acceptable
- Limited features compared to other VPNs
- Does not work in China
WORKS IN CHINA: SaferVPN is a great choice for users in China as it avoids the Great Firewall. Reliably unblocks Netflix and has great privacy credentials.
Read our full review of SaferVPN.
Money-back guarantee: 45 DAYS
Hotspot Shield is an excellent low-cost alternative for unblocking Netflix. Despite having a wallet-friendly price, it boasts a huge server network of more than 3,200 across 70+ countries. It’s incredibly fast and unblocks multiple Netflix libraries, as well as Hulu, Amazon Prime Video, and other popular streaming sites.
Every US server we tested unblocked US Netflix which is great considering some providers only let you access Netflix via a few servers. We also had luck with other regions including Netflix UK, Sweden, and Spain.
Hotspot Shield lives up to top-rated provider status on the security front too. Features include 256-bit AES encryption backed by perfect forward secrecy. There’s also a kill switch (Windows only) and protection against DNS and WebRTC leaks. Mobile apps come with automatic wifi protection. Hotspot Shield keeps minimal logs but none that can be used to trace activity back to an individual user.
You can download apps for Windows, MacOS, Android, and iOS. Up to five devices can be connected to the VPN at any given time. Support is provided via 24/7 live chat or a web form.
- Low cost option for changing Netflix region
- Excellent speeds for streaming HD video
- No support for routers or Linux
- Doesn’t accept Bitcoin
High Speed, low cost Netflix VPN:Hotspot Shield offers excellent discounts on long-term plans and is ideal for unblocking Netflix and other streaming sites. The company offers a generous 45-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full review of Hotspot Shield
Can I use a free VPN to change region on Netflix?
Free VPN providers are definitely easy to find and indeed can be very tempting. But we’d have to advise you to steer clear for several reasons. Providing full access to Netflix requires a lot of effort on the part of a provider and free services simply aren’t profitable enough to justify these resources on an ongoing basis. A free VPN might let you explore another country’s Netflix catalog, but when it comes time to watch you’ll almost certainly encounter the proxy error.
What’s more, these services typically provide users with a limited selection of servers, which means you’re less likely to be able to access the Netflix library you’re looking for. Even if you do get access, chances are you’ll be frustrated with slow connection speeds and even having to wait in a queue for some servers.
Practicality isn’t the only issue with free services. We’ve put a heavy emphasis on privacy and security above because it’s important for users to know what’s happening with their data. The providers of free VPN services need to make money somehow and often do so through questionable methods. Some interrupt your experience with annoying ads, log your activity and sell data to third parties, or even carry malware.
Which country versions of Netflix are available?
Netflix started out slowly and solely operated in the US for its first decade or so. It finally expanded internationally with Canadian Netflix in 2010, and then there was no stopping. After a massive 2016 expansion, Netflix is now available in the vast majority of countries, the exceptions being China, Crimea, Syria, and North Korea. When it comes to China, not wanting to miss out on this massive market, Netflix has made a push for licensing deals in lieu of having an actual presence in the country.
Although Netflix is available in most countries, the catalog of shows and movies varies greatly depending on your region. Aside from having different titles available, some regions have a very small selection. This is due to the different licensing agreements in each region. Here are the top twelve international Netflix libraries in terms of the number of shows and movies available (source: Finder).
|British Virgin Islands||666||2940|
The largest selection of TV shows can be found in the American Netflix catalog which, according to Finder, has more than 1,300 shows and over 4,000 movies. This contrasts to somewhere like Croatia which has just over 200 shows and fewer than 600 movies. Our own study showed a big difference in Netflix cost and available titles depending on where you live.
The below map from Netflix’s website shows (in red) where the service is currently available:
How to change Netflix region on iPhone
To access different Netflix libraries on your phone, you’ll need to use a VPN to spoof your location. Don’t worry, it’s not as complex as it sounds.
Here’s how to change Netflix region on iPhone:
- Subscribe to a reputable VPN provider with an easy-to-use mobile app. We recommend NordVPN.
- On your iPhone, go to the App Store and download and install your VPN app.
- Log into the app using your VPN provider credentials.
- Connect to a server location that corresponds to the Netflix library you want to unblock. For example, use a US server to access Netflix US.
- Now open your Netflix app, and you should have access to the library you want.
Note that even if a VPN unblocks the country you want, you might find that not all servers in that location will work. If you run into issues, contact your VPN’s customer support team for help with troubleshooting.
How to change Netflix region on an Android phone
Accessing a different country’s Netflix library on your Android phone is possible if you use a VPN. And it’s really quite simple to set up.
Here’s how to change Netflix region on an Android phone:
- Sign up with your chosen VPN provider (choose one with a good Android app like NordVPN).
- On your Android phone, go to the Google Play Store and download the app for your VPN.
- Once installed, log into the app with your new VPN credentials.
- Select a server in the correct location for the Netflix library you want to unblock. For example, to access Netflix UK, connect to a UK server.
- Launch your Netflix app and you should be able to watch content from your desired library.
Although many VPNs work with Netflix, not all unblock every library and even for the libraries they do unblock, not every server will work. As such, you may need to get in touch with your VPN’s customer support team for assistance.
How to change Netflix region FAQ
⭐Can I use a DNS proxy to change region on Netflix?
Many providers of DNS proxy services will advertise the ability to unblock Netflix and other streaming sites. Indeed, as long as the IP address they provide isn’t blocked by Netflix, then you’ll be able to gain access and enjoy streaming shows and movies.
However, the major problem is that it’s very easy for Netflix to block DNS proxies, so they end up being very unreliable. They also tend to have fewer countries available, so you have less chance of finding the library you want. One proxy that doesn’t suffer from these issues is ExpressVPN's MediaStreamer DNS service, which is included in every subscription. It's used by default when you connect to the VPN but can also be configured separately.
More importantly for some, a DNS proxy does not encrypt your traffic, so your activity is open to your ISP and anyone else who might be snooping. Plus these services are often free, and in the same vein as a free VPN service, they may be collecting and selling your information, injecting annoying ads, or using other shady or invasive practices.
⭐Does Netflix allow VPNs to access content?
As mentioned earlier, Netflix has cracked down on allowing subscribers to watch content through a VPN. If an IP address is known to come from a VPN server, traffic from that IP address will be blocked and you’ll see a proxy error. This means that with some VPN providers, you’ll be locked out even if you connect through a server in the country you’re in, simply for the fact you’re using a VPN.
This practice seems illogical from a business perspective as it doesn’t really do Netflix any favors and is frustrating to viewers. However, it is understandable when you consider the content licensing restrictions that Netflix has to abide by. These restrictions mean that the company isn’t allowed to show its entire library in every geographical location. Without these constraints, Netflix could feasibly be the same anywhere.
⭐How do I change my Netflix billing country?
If you want to change your Netflix billing country, you actually need to close your account and then restart it in your new country. Assuming you’re relocating, you’ll want to be billed in the currency that corresponds to your new location. To do this, wait until your current billing period is up and cancel your account. Then, restart your account in the new location.
⭐Can I get in trouble for changing my Netflix region?
The worst thing that will happen is you'll be shown a very limited content library (restricted to Netflix-owned shows) or receive a proxy error.
The only other reason you might get in trouble is if VPNs are illegal in your country, but this is only the case in a few regions.
⭐Changed region but still getting a Netflix proxy error? Try this:
Using one of the VPNs on our list above should provide you access to a range of Netflix libraries. However, there could still be one or more hurdles to overcome. We’ve got a checklist for you to run through to make sure you get to watch your shows.
- Check with the VPN provider’s customer support team to see which server to use. They get these requests all the time and you should be able to receive a prompt response. This is your best bet if your provider offers live chat. If not, the next couple of options might be worth trying first.
- Disconnect and reconnect to the same server. You’ll sometimes end up with a different IP address that may not be blacklisted.
- Try connecting to a different server in the same region. Again, this will give you a different IP address that might not be blocked.
- Log out of any accounts that cache your IP address, such as any Google account.
- Go into your device or browser settings and disable any location services.
- Try clearing your cache, cookies, and temporary files.
- If you’re using Windows 10, you can try disabling IPv6 in your wifi properties and flushing your DNS cache using the command prompt ipconfig /flushdns.
- If you’re using a wifi network and have access to the router, you can rename the network to opt out of Google’s geolocation services. Append “_nomap” (without quotation marks) to the end of the network name and reconnect your device to the network.
- How can I change Netflix region or country?
- Can I watch Netflix abroad?
- The best VPNs to change region on Netflix
- 1. NordVPN
- 2. Surfshark
- 3. ExpressVPN
- 4. CyberGhost
- 5. PrivateVPN
- 6. SaferVPN
- 7. Hotspot Shield
- Can I use a free VPN to change region on Netflix?
- Which country versions of Netflix are available?
- How to change Netflix region on iPhone
- How to change Netflix region on an Android phone
- How to change Netflix region FAQ
- Can I use a DNS proxy to change region on Netflix?
- Does Netflix allow VPNs to access content?
- How do I change my Netflix billing country?
- Can I get in trouble for changing my Netflix region?
- Changed region but still getting a Netflix proxy error? Try this: