When traveling abroad, are you tired of missing out on your favorite Netflix shows and movies? Discovering that the content you love is restricted based on your current location is frustrating. The good news is that you can change your Netflix region and regain access to a wider range of content, no matter where you are in the world.
When you travel from one country to another, you may notice a significant difference in the available Netflix catalog. Certain regions have a limited selection of shows and movies, which can be disappointing for avid streamers. For example, if you’re from the US and find yourself in Spain, you’ll quickly realize that the content options are much more limited. Fortunately, by changing your Netflix region, you can bypass these restrictions and access your home library.
From experience, we have found that the easiest and most effective way to change your Netflix region is by using a Virtual Private Network (VPN). A VPN routes your internet traffic through a server in your chosen country. By doing so, it masks your actual IP address and replaces it with one from your selected country. This effectively tricks Netflix into thinking you’re streaming from that location. This means that you can easily access your home library even when you’re away from home.
Stay tuned as we walk you through the step-by-step process of changing your Netflix region using a VPN, ensuring you can enjoy your favorite content anytime, anywhere. Let’s get started!
How can I change Netflix region or country?
Here’s how to change your Netflix region from any location:
- First of all set up a Netflix account if you haven’t already got one.
- Now download, install and login to a VPN from the list below. We recommend NordVPN – it’s the most reliable VPN for accessing other Netflix regions for 6 years running in our tests.
- Now connect to a VPN server in the country you want to change the region to. For example, if you want to access Netflix US, you will need an American VPN server.
- Next to the Netflix website. You should be automatically redirected to the country site for the location of your selected server.
- Now log in to Netflix if you haven’t already and watch your movie or show. If you are having issues accessing the content, try clearing your browser cookies and cache.
Can I watch Netflix abroad?
Yes, this method will allow you to watch Netflix anywhere abroad and is popular with people who travel frequently. For example, Americans visiting the UK will be able to securely stream American Netflix, and British travelers in the US can watch Netflix UK.
WANT TO TRY THE TOP VPN RISK FREE?
NordVPN is offering a fully-featured risk-free 30-day trial if you sign up at this page. You can use the VPN rated #1 for Netflix with no restrictions for a month—great if you want to binge your favorite show or are going on a short trip.
There are no hidden terms—just contact support within 30 days if you decide NordVPN isn't right for you and you'll get a full refund. Start your NordVPN trial here.
Here’s our summary of the best VPNs to change region on Netflix:
- NordVPN The most reliable VPN for switching Netflix countries. #1 in our Netflix tests for 6 years running. Very high speeds, strong security, and a 30-day money-back guarantee.
- Surfshark Our favorite service for changing Netflix regions on a budget. Strong on security, with steady speeds and no connection limit.
- ExpressVPN Works well with Netflix and a host of other streaming services. Fast connection speeds and a strong security offering.
- CyberGhost Thousands of international servers to access any Netflix region on almost any device.
- PrivateVPN Great up-and-coming VPN which works well with Netflix and other streaming services.
- Private Internet Access Quick and great for Netflix UK, US, and more.
- AtlasVPN A reliable way to stream American and British Netflix securely with unlimited device connections.
Bear in mind that Netflix is aware that subscribers are using this tactic to access different libraries and is cracking down. When it discovers that a particular IP address belongs to a VPN provider, it will block traffic from that address. In this case, you’ll see a proxy error stating:
“Whoops, something went wrong. Streaming error. You seem to be using an unblocker or proxy. Please turn off any of these services and try again.”
Many providers are committed to providing a workaround and maintaining servers that offer reliable VPN access to various Netflix libraries. Even so, not all of these providers offer a comparable service. For streaming, you need to ensure your VPN is fast and reliable. And you also want to know that your chosen provider values security and privacy to the utmost degree.
With the above in mind, we’ve put together a list of the best VPNs for watching any country’s version of Netflix based on the following criteria:
- Works well with the most popular Netflix country catalogs like Netflix US, UK, Canada, Japan and Australia (bonus points for working with other catalogs)
- Has a large selection of server locations
- Provides fast and reliable access
- Uses strong encryption backed by additional security features
- Keep no logs of user activity or IP addresses
- Offers knowledgeable and accessible customer support
- Supports simultaneous device connections – the more the better
If you’re interested in exactly how we analyze and rank VPNs you can find out more in our VPN research and testing methodology.
Best VPNs for changing Netflix region – Our hands-on review
We’ve compared the most important features for the top VPNs here. Prefer to read the in-depth reviews? Start with NordVPN – our #1 choice for changing Netflix region.
|No value||NordVPN||Surfshark||ExpressVPN||CyberGhost||PrivateVPN||Private Internet Access||AtlasVPN|
|Website||NordVPN.com||Surfshark.com||ExpressVPN.com||Cyberghost.com||PrivateVPN.com||PrivateInternetAccess.com||atlasvpn.com||Ranking for Netflix||1||2||3||4||5||6||7||Avg Speed (Mbps)||100+ Mbps||100+ Mbps||100+ Mbps||100+ Mbps||39 Mbps||73 Mbps||100+ Mbps||Total number of servers||5,700+||3,200||Undisclosed||7000+||200+||Undisclosed||1000+||Server countries||60||100||94||90+||63||84||49||Other services||Hulu, HBO, Amazon Prime, Disney+, ITV Hub, BBC iPlayer, and more||Hulu, Amazon Prime, Disney+ and others||HBO, BBC iPlayer, ITV Hub, and others||Hulu, Disney+, ITV Hub, and others||Amazon Prime, Disney+, and others||Disney+, Hulu, and others||BBC iPlayer, ITV Hub, and others|
|Best deal (per month)||$3.19|
SAVE 61% + 3 months FREE
Get 2 Months FREE with a 2-year plan
SAVE: 49% on the annual plan
SAVE up to 84% on the 2 year plan + 3 months free
SAVE 85% on the three year plan
SAVE 82% on the 2 yr plan + 500GB cloud storage solution
SAVE 85% on a 2 year plan and get three months free
The best VPNs to change region on Netflix
Here’s a list of the best VPNs for changing your Netflix region:
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
NordVPN is the best VPN for changing Netflix region. It offers up a huge network of streaming servers, comprising more than 5,000 in over 60 countries. It is known for its ability to securely access Netflix, and works with a host of libraries including the US, Canada, the Netherlands, France, Spain, UK, Australia, Brazil, Italy, India, and Germany. What’s more, this service is among the fastest we’ve tested, meaning it’s well-suited for high-resolution streaming.
This VPN can also provide secure access to many other popular streaming sites such as Amazon Prime Video, Hulu, HBO, and BBC iPlayer. Some of NordVPN’s servers are even optimized specifically for video streaming. And if you have any issues, you can just ping customer support.
NordVPN is another strong player from a privacy protection and security standpoint. It keeps no logs whatsoever, not even bandwidth data caps. Security is in the form of 256-bit banking-grade encryption with perfect forward secrecy. DNS leak protection and a customizable kill switch help ensure your data never leaves the encrypted tunnel. One more unique security feature is that certain dedicated servers are optimized to protect against Distributed Denial of Service (DDoS) attacks.
You can install NordVPN on up to six devices simultaneously. It has desktop clients for Windows, Linux, and MacOS, as well as apps for iOS and Android.
NordVPN speed test data
|Website||NordVPN.com||Average Connection Speed - North America (USA)||268 Mbps||Average Connection Speed - Europe (UK)||174 Mbps||Average Connection Speed - Asia (Hong Kong)||147 Mbps|
|Best deal (per month)||$3.19|
SAVE 61% + 3 months FREE
- Good value and performance option for changing Netflix region
- The fastest VPN we’ve tested
- Connect 6 devices concurrently
- Specific servers are optimized for certain tasks, e.g. torrenting
- Excellent security and privacy offering
- Desktop app can be slow
BEST FOR NETFLIX:NordVPN is our first choice since it’s versatile and works with so many different Netflix libraries from abroad. Strong online privacy and security credentials. Try it risk-free thanks to its 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full review of NordVPN.
works with NetflixTested Oct 2023
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
Surfshark works with US Netflix as well as a host of other libraries including Netflix UK, Japan, Netherlands, India, and France. If you try to securely access an unsupported library, Surfshark will redirect you to the US Netflix library. That means every server works with Netflix regardless of where you connect. Best of all, Surfshark is the sole provider on this list to allow an unlimited number of simultaneous connections. It’s a great option for a family or group of housemates.
If your streaming device doesn’t support VPN apps, such as a game console or Apple TV, Surfshark has you covered. Like ExpressVPN, every Surfshark subscription comes with a standalone smart DNS service. Setting this up allows you to watch US Netflix on devices that allow you to modify DNS settings. Note that the smart DNS proxy is not as secure as the normal VPN, which uses strong encryption and automatic kill switch protection to prevent data leaks. If you encounter any problems, just consult with 24/7 live chat support. Surfshark keeps no logs and allows torrenting.
Software is available for Windows, MacOS, iOS, Android, and Linux.
Surfshark speed test data
|Website||Surfshark.com||Average Connection Speed - North America (USA)||205 Mbps||Average Connection Speed - Europe (UK)||193 Mbps||Average Connection Speed - Asia (Hong Kong)||168 Mbps|
|Best deal (per month)||$2.30|
Get 2 Months FREE with a 2-year plan
- Works with Netflix US, UK, and others
- Unlimited devices
- Includes a standalone smart DNS service
- Accepts Bitcoin
- Relatively small server network
- Occasional slow server
BEST BUDGET PICK:Surfshark is a great low-cost option for watching Netflix abroad. Comes with strong security, speedy connections, and a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full Surfshark review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
ExpressVPN is an extremely reputable provider based in the British Virgin Islands. Its more-than-ample network of over 3,000 servers in 94 countries means you’ll have access to a huge choice of Netflix libraries. Indeed, ExpressVPN reliably works with the US, UK, Japan, Canada, and France versions of Netflix, among others. If a chosen server doesn’t work, you can simply contact a live customer support agent to determine which is the optimal server to connect to.
Besides Netflix, ExpressVPN can grant you secure access to plenty of other streaming services including Amazon Prime Video, Hulu, and HBO Max. All servers are optimized for speed and this, coupled with a reliable service, means you can stream shows and movies seamlessly.
As we mentioned, privacy and security are also top concerns to prevent ISPs, government agencies, or hackers snooping on your online activity or viewing your personal information. ExpressVPN delivers on this front with 256-bit AES encryption (considered military-grade) and perfect forward secrecy. These features are further supported by an automatic kill switch — which drops the internet connection if the VPN connection is lost — and DNS leak protection. ExpressVPN doesn’t monitor user activity and won’t record your IP address.
Software is available on Windows, MacOS, iOS, Android, Linux, and certain wifi routers.
ExpressVPN speed test data
|Website||ExpressVPN.com||Average Connection Speed - North America (USA)||253 Mbps||Average Connection Speed - Europe (UK)||193 Mbps||Average Connection Speed - Asia (Hong Kong)||133 Mbps|
|Best deal (per month)||$6.67|
SAVE: 49% on the annual plan
- Secure access to various Netflix libraries
- High speeds for downloading and video streaming
- Hard to beat on privacy and security
- Substantial network across 94 countries and with over 3,000 servers
- Slightly more expensive than some other services
- Few options for power users
GREAT FOR STREAMING:ExpressVPN is a speedy, security-conscious provider that reliably works with Netflix from any location. Also boasts impressive security features and a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full review of ExpressVPN.
Money-back guarantee: 45 DAYS
CyberGhost is operated from Romania and offers a growing network of servers with more than 7,000 in 90 countries. While it doesn’t work with as many of the regional Netflix catalogs as NordVPN, Surfshark or ExpressVPN, it is committed to providing access to US Netflix, which is the version with the largest library. CyberGhost additionally works with Netflix UK, France, Germany, and a growing number of other Netflix catalogs.
It will also work with other popular sites like BBC iPlayer, Hulu, and Amazon Prime Video. Many of these are easily accessible through a dedicated tab within the CyberGhost client. Simply click the site you want to access and you’ll be connected to the appropriate server. Connection speeds are high enough for smooth streaming in HD or even UHD.
This provider is another top-performer for privacy and security. It doesn’t monitor any user activity and never records any information that can be tied to a particular user. 256-bit military-grade encryption is used with perfect forward secrecy, backed by an automatic kill switch and DNS leak protection.
This provider allows up to seven simultaneous connections with a basic plan. Apps (and some browser extensions) are available for Windows, MacOS, Android, and iOS.
CyberGhost speed test data
|Website||Cyberghost.com||Average Connection Speed - North America (USA)||392 Mbps||Average Connection Speed - Europe (UK)||244 Mbps||Average Connection Speed - Asia (Hong Kong)||253 Mbps|
|Best deal (per month)||$2.11|
SAVE up to 84% on the 2 year plan + 3 months free
- Works with Netflix US from any country
- Scored very highly in our speed testing
- Operates a network of more than 8,000 servers in 90 countries
- Low cost
- WebRTC IPv6 leaks in macOS
- No Linux GUI
easy-to-use apps:CyberGhost is the beginners' favorite choice that works well with Netflix and other popular streaming services. Stores no logs and streams HD video reliably. 45-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full review of CyberGhost.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
PrivateVPN runs a small network of servers, but it does cover 60+ countries, meaning potential access to a wide range of Netflix libraries. It works reliably with the US, UK, Japan, Spain, Brazil, France, and Italy catalogs, among others. In addition, you’ll be able to use this VPN with content providers such as BBC iPlayer, Hulu, Amazon Prime Video, and other popular streaming sites. PrivateVPN doesn’t disappoint on speed and its reliable service will enable you to watch shows and stream videos without buffering.
As for security, you can switch between 128-bit and 256-bit high-level encryption. The former is still considered extremely secure. You also have DNS leak protection and an automatic kill switch as backup. A no-logs policy means you don’t have to worry about your data falling into the wrong hands.
PrivateVPN plans allow VPN users to connect up to five devices simultaneously. Desktop clients can be installed on Windows and MacOS, and mobile apps are available for both Android and iOS.
PrivateVPN speed test data
|Website||PrivateVPN.com||Average Connection Speed - North America (USA)||94 Mbps||Average Connection Speed - Europe (UK)||57 Mbps||Average Connection Speed - Asia (Hong Kong)||62 Mbps|
|Best deal (per month)||$2.00|
SAVE 85% on the three year plan
- Works with a wide range of Netflix country catalogs
- Very impressive speeds
- Keeps no logs whatsoever
- Small number of servers
- Doesn’t have 24/7 live chat
FAST SPEEDS:PrivateVPN works with US Netflix and many other country versions. Allows up to 6 devices on the same account. Small network of servers but fast and capable connections. 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full review of PrivateVPN.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
Private Internet Access is a US-based provider with thousands of servers covering 70+ countries. It can reliably access a few popular Netflix libraries including Netflix US, UK, and Canada. What’s more, with impressive speeds and a 10-connection limit, you’ll be able to stream 4K video and browse safely across all of your devices.
The apps feature 256-bit AES encryption, with the option to reduce this for better speeds. There’s also a kill switch, plus IPv6 and DNS leak protection. Users can also choose to disable local traffic or take advantage of the newly-added WireGuard protocol. PIA doesn’t keep any logs and offers 24/7 live chat in case you have any issues.
PIA apps available for Windows, MacOS, Linux, Android, and iOS.
PIA speed test data
|No value||Private Internet Access|
|Website||PrivateInternetAccess.com||Average Connection Speed - North America (USA)||93 Mbps||Average Connection Speed - Europe (UK)||58 Mbps||Average Connection Speed - Asia (Hong Kong)||200 Mbps|
|Best deal (per month)||$2.11|
SAVE 82% on the 2 yr plan + 500GB cloud storage solution
- Works well with Netflix and similar services
- Impressive speed and security offering
- Customer support could be better
- Doesn’t work in China
STREAM SAFELY ABROAD:PIA is a great choice for streaming Netflix. It’s quick and easy to use, with 24/7 support and a great set of security tools built-in.
Read our full review of Private Internet Access.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
AtlasVPN is a relative newcomer but it’s already making waves thanks to its exceptionally high speeds and fantastic streaming abilities. We had no problems securely accessing Netflix US and UK, or other service like Amazon Prime Video. What’s more, this budget-friendly provider allows you to connect all of your devices at the same time.
This service performs very well on security too. It offers 256-bit AES encryption, a kill switch, and protection against DNS, IPv6, and WebRTC leaks, plus a zero-logs policy. It also supports WireGuard connections, which are faster and easier to audit than the traditional OpenVPN protocol. Live chat-based support is available around the clock.
You can download AtlasVPN apps for Windows, MacOS, Android, and iOS.
AtlasVPN speed test data
|Website||atlasvpn.com||Average Connection Speed - North America (USA)||297 Mbps||Average Connection Speed - Europe (UK)||158 Mbps||Average Connection Speed - Asia (Hong Kong)||356 Mbps|
|Best deal (per month)||$1.82|
SAVE 85% on a 2 year plan and get three months free
- Low cost option for changing Netflix region
- Excellent speeds for streaming HD video
- No Linux app
- Doesn’t accept Bitcoin
HIGHLY VERSATILE VPN:AtlasVPN is fast, security-conscious, and able to access Netflix from anywhere. It also allows torrenting and has absolutely no connection limit. Plans come with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full review of AtlasVPN.
Video: How to change Netflix region
Can I use a free VPN to change region on Netflix?
Free VPN providers are definitely easy to find and indeed can be very tempting. But we’d have to advise you to steer clear for several reasons. Providing full access to Netflix requires a lot of effort on the part of a provider and free services simply aren’t profitable enough to justify these resources on an ongoing basis. A free VPN might let you explore another country’s Netflix catalog, but when it comes time to watch you’ll almost certainly encounter the proxy error.
What’s more, these services typically provide users with a limited selection of servers, which means you’re less likely to be able to access the Netflix library you’re looking for. Even if you do get access, chances are you’ll be frustrated with slow connection speeds and even having to wait in a queue for some servers. You may also find free VPNs don’t offer unlimited bandwidth, making it difficult to do any streaming of HD content. This type of monthly data cap isn’t an issue when using any of the premium VPNs recommended above.
Practicality isn’t the only issue with free services. We’ve put a heavy emphasis on privacy and security above because it’s important for users to know what’s happening with their data. The providers of free VPN services need to make money somehow and often do so through questionable methods. Some interrupt your experience with annoying ads, log your activity and sell data to third parties, or even carry malware.
Which country versions of Netflix are available?
Netflix started out slowly and solely operated in the US for its first decade or so. It finally expanded internationally with Canadian Netflix in 2010, and then there was no stopping. After a massive 2016 expansion, Netflix is now available in the vast majority of countries, the exceptions being China, Crimea, Syria, and North Korea. When it comes to China, not wanting to miss out on this massive market, Netflix has made a push for licensing deals in lieu of having an actual presence in the country.
Although Netflix is available in most countries, the catalog of shows and movies varies greatly depending on your region. Aside from having different titles available, some regions have a very small selection. This is due to the different licensing agreements in each region. Here are the top twelve international Netflix libraries in terms of the number of shows and movies available (source: JustWatch.com).
Our own Netflix study showed a big difference in cost and available titles depending on where you live.
The below map from Netflix’s website shows (in red) where the service is currently available:
How to access US Netflix
Using a VPN to access US Netflix on vacation is easy no matter where you go in the world. The only caveat is that you must pick a VPN that works, and in 2023 there are very few left that can access Netflix reliably.
In this guide, we have done the hard work for you by recommending the world’s best VPNs to stream Netflix abroad. To make things even easier we have included a short setup guide below.
Here’s how to access US Netflix while traveling abroad:
- Pick a VPN for Netflix. We recommend NordVPN because it represents superb value, outstanding security, and fantastic speeds for streaming US Netflix and many other services.
- Subscribe to the VPN. You can use our link to get the VPN at the best possible cost thanks to our automated coupon.
- Download the VPN software. Our recommendations have apps for all platforms that are easy to install and use on any of your devices.
- Install the VPN and log in using your credentials.
- Pick a VPN server in the US and click to connect. If your VPN has servers labeled for US streaming, select one of these.
As soon as the VPN connection is established, your real location is being concealed and you appear to have a valid IP address in the US. That means you can launch your Netflix app or log in via the website to watch US-only shows and movies.
How to change Netflix region on iPhone
To access different Netflix libraries on your phone, you’ll need to use a VPN to spoof your location. Don’t worry, it’s not as complex as it sounds.
Here’s how to change Netflix region on iPhone:
- Subscribe to a reputable VPN provider with an easy-to-use mobile app. We recommend NordVPN.
- On your iPhone, go to the App Store and download and install your VPN app.
- Log into the app using your VPN provider credentials.
- Connect to a server location that corresponds to the Netflix library you want to watch. For example, use a US server to access Netflix US.
- Now open your Netflix app, and you should have access to the library you want.
Note that even if a VPN works with the country you want, you might find that not all servers in that location will work. If you run into issues, contact your VPN’s customer support team for help with troubleshooting.
How to change Netflix region on an Android phone
Accessing a different country’s Netflix library on your Android phone is possible if you use a VPN. And it’s really quite simple to set up.
Here’s how to change Netflix region on an Android phone:
- Sign up with your chosen VPN provider (choose one with a good Android app like NordVPN).
- On your Android phone, go to the Google Play Store and download the app for your VPN.
- Once installed, log into the app with your new VPN credentials.
- Select a server in the correct location for the Netflix library you want to watch. For example, to access Netflix UK, connect to a UK server.
- Now launch your Netflix app and you should be able to watch content from your desired library.
Although many VPNs work with Netflix, not all work with every library and even for the libraries they do work with, not every server will work. Netflix regularly adds new blocks with VPN providers constantly introducing workarounds in a game of cat an mouse. As such, you may need to get in touch with your VPN’s customer support team for assistance.
How to change Netflix region on PS4
PS4 does not support native VPN apps, but there are still a couple of ways you can change Netflix region on your PS4. One is to use a VPN router, which will provide VPN coverage for every device that’s connected to that router. Another method involves connecting your gaming console to a VPN-connected computer via an ethernet cable, but this is fairly cumbersome.
If you’re looking for the simplest way to change Netflix region on your PS4, ExpressVPN’s MediaStreamer may be your best bet. This comes free with every ExpressVPN subscription, which is worth bearing in mind when you’re choosing the most suitable VPN for your needs. The one issue with MediaStreamer is that it’s a DNS service versus a VPN. This means it doesn’t encrypt data so won’t protect your connection.
If you wish to try MediaStreamer, here are the steps:
- Sign up for an ExpressVPN account and submit payment.
- Sign in to the ExpressVPN website and go to the ExpressVPN DNS settings page.
- Go to IP address registration, select Register my IP address, and toggle Automatically register my IP address to the on position.
- Head to the ExpressVPN setup page and locate your MediaStreamer DNS server IP address.
- On your PS4, go to Settings > Network > Set Up Internet Connection.
- Under How do you want to connect to the network?, choose Use Wi-Fi or Use a LAN cable. If prompted to use your existing wifi settings, select Yes.
- Under How do you want to set up the Internet connection?, choose Custom.
- Select your wifi connection and enter your password.
- Choose the following settings: IP Address Settings – Automatic; DHCP Host Name – Do Not Specify; DNS Settings – Manual. Then select Primary DNS.
- Enter your MediaStreamer DNS server IP address (found in step 4) and click Done then Next.
- Finally, select the following settings: MTU Settings – Automatic; Proxy Server – Do Not Use; Internet settings updated – Test Internet Connection.
Note you will have to restart your PS4 for these changes to take effect.
How to change Netflix region on Roku
Roku is another system that does not support native VPN apps, but there are a few options for changing Netflix region on Roku if you’re willing to put in some effort.
Here’s how to change Netflix country on Roku:
- Set up a VPN router and connect your Roku to it.
- Create a VPN -protected wifi hotspot on your laptop computer, and connect your Roku to it.
- Screencast to the Roku using a VPN-protected Android smartphone or tablet.
We go into more detail about these options in our Best VPNs for Roku post.
Finding the best VPNs for changing Netflix region: our methodology
It can be frustrating to travel abroad and find you can no longer access your usual Netflix library from home. Unfortunately, few VPNs work well with Netflix but the good news is that we’ve found those that do! Below, we’ll go over our methodology for finding the best VPNs for changing your Netflix region:
- Netflix-compatible servers: With so many VPNs unable to help you access Netflix from abroad, it can be difficult to find the right one to use. Our international team of researchers has tested a wide range of VPNs across dozens of Netflix libraries. That way, you can be sure that those we’re recommending are the best available.
- Global network: Netflix is available in most countries worldwide. With this in mind, it’s important to have a VPN with a global network of servers. These should be available across dozens of countries including the USA, UK, and Canada to name a few. In the case of most VPNs listed, thousands of servers are at your disposal.
- Speed: At the very least, Netflix recommends a connection speed of 25 Mbps for streaming in 4K. All of the best VPNs for changing Netflix region are more than fast enough to support this. Thanks to the added benefit of unlimited bandwidth, you’ll be able to stream Netflix without lag or buffering, regardless of your location.
- Security: If you want to be able to access Netflix securely, you’ll need a VPN that uses 256-bit AES encryption. It should also provide DNS leak protection and a kill switch. We test each VPN for leaks and look for those that offer extra protection, be it through Double VPN servers, an ad-blocker or password manager.
- Privacy: Just like not every VPN works with Netflix, not every VPN protects your privacy. Having looked at over 140 VPN logging policies, we’ve been able to identify those that don’t keep any identifying logs of users. In many cases, you’ll even be able to pay for the VPN subscription anonymously in Bitcoin.
- Apps and devices: Netflix is available across a range of devices, including Windows, macOS, iOS, Android, and more. We recommend VPNs that offer simultaneous connections and have apps across all major operating systems to maximize compatibility.
- Ease of use: One of the advantages of testing so many VPNs is that we can discover which VPNs have the best apps. With the VPNs in this post, you’ll find apps that are easy to install and navigate. Furthermore, each VPN even has 24-hour live chat and email support should you have any questions.
- Value for money: Ironically, there are VPNs that fail to offer much of the above yet cost significantly more than the VPNs found here! Of course, it helps that for each and every one, we offer a discount coupon. Better still, all of the best VPNs for changing your Netflix region come with a risk-free money-back guarantee.
To find out more about how we test each VPN in categories such as speed and security, take a look at our VPN testing methodology post.
How to change Netflix region FAQ
Can I use a DNS proxy to change region on Netflix?
Many providers of DNS proxy services will advertise the ability to watch Netflix and other streaming sites. Indeed, as long as the IP address they provide isn’t blocked by Netflix, then you’ll be able to gain access and enjoy streaming shows and movies.
However, the major problem is that it’s very easy for Netflix to block DNS proxies, so they end up being very unreliable. They also tend to have fewer countries available, so you have less chance of finding the library you want. One proxy that doesn’t suffer from these issues is ExpressVPN’s MediaStreamer DNS service, which is included in every subscription. It’s used by default when you connect to the VPN but can also be configured separately.
More importantly for some, a DNS proxy does not encrypt your traffic, so your activity is open to your ISP and anyone else who might be snooping. Plus these services are often free, and in the same vein as a free VPN service, they may be collecting and selling your information, injecting annoying ads, or using other shady or invasive practices.
Does Netflix allow VPNs to access content?
As mentioned earlier, Netflix has cracked down on allowing subscribers to watch content through a VPN. If an IP address is known to come from a VPN server, traffic from that IP address will be blocked and you’ll see a proxy error. This means that with some VPN providers, you’ll be locked out even if you connect through a server in the country you’re in, simply for the fact you’re using a VPN.
This practice seems illogical from a business perspective as it doesn’t really do Netflix any favors and is frustrating to viewers. However, it is understandable when you consider the content licensing restrictions that Netflix has to abide by. These restrictions mean that the company isn’t allowed to show its entire library in every geographical location. Without these constraints, Netflix could feasibly be the same anywhere.
How do I change my Netflix billing country?
If you want to change your Netflix billing country, you actually need to close your account and then restart it in your new country. Assuming you’re relocating, you’ll want to be billed in the currency that corresponds to your new location. To do this, wait until your current billing period is up and cancel your account. Then, restart your account in the new location.
Is it illegal to change my Netflix region?
While this article isn’t intended to be legal advice, the worst thing likely to happen is you’ll be shown a very limited content library (restricted to Netflix-owned shows) or receive a proxy error.
The only other reason you might be likely to get in trouble is if VPNs are illegal in your country, but this is only the case in a few regions.
Changed region but still getting a Netflix proxy error? Try this:
Using one of the VPNs on our list above should provide you access to a range of Netflix libraries. However, there could still be one or more hurdles to overcome. We’ve got a checklist for you to run through to make sure you get to watch your shows.
- Check with the VPN provider’s customer support team to see which server to use. They get these requests all the time and you should be able to receive a prompt response. This is your best bet if your provider offers live chat. If not, the next couple of options might be worth trying first.
- Disconnect and reconnect to the same server. You’ll sometimes end up with a different IP address that may not be blacklisted.
- Try connecting to a different server in the same region. Again, this will give you a different IP address that might not be blocked.
- Log out of any accounts that cache your IP address, such as any Google account.
- Go into your device or browser settings and disable any location services.
- Try clearing your cache, cookies, and temporary files.
- If you’re using Windows 10, you can try disabling IPv6 in your wifi properties and flushing your DNS cache using the command prompt ipconfig /flushdns.
- If you’re using a wifi network and have access to the router, you can rename the network to opt out of Google’s geolocation services. Append “_nomap” (without quotation marks) to the end of the network name and reconnect your device to the network.
Can you use Netflix in two different countries at the same time?
Yes, you can. If you have a standard subscription, you can watch on two devices at the same time and it doesn’t matter where you log in from. If you have a premium plan, you can watch on up to four devices at a time.
How do I change Netflix region on a smart TV?
To change your Netflix region on a smart TV, you’ll need to install a VPN app. This may be an app for Android TV or Amazon Fire TV (Fire TV Stick). You can search for these apps via the Google Play Store and via the Amazon Fire TV main menu. Simply download and install the VPN app, connect to a server in the Netflix region you’d like to access, and launch the Netflix app (and sign in if necessary). You should now see the content from the new library. Note that an alternative is installing a VPN on your router (manual configuration is required).
How do I change Netflix region on Xbox?
There aren’t any native VPN apps for Xbox but don’t worry, there are a few ways to change your Xbox’s Netflix region. We’ll run you through each of these below:
Method one: Smart DNS
The quickest option is to use a smart DNS service, since this just requires you to change your console’s DNS settings. However, this usually only grants you access to the US library, and not all VPNs include this feature.
Method two: Share a VPN connection
You can actually share a VPN connection from another device, so if you already use a VPN on your main PC, changing Netflix region is pretty simple. We’ve written guides on how to create a virtual router on Windows and MacOS in case you’re interested. When you’re ready, just select a server in the appropriate country on your PC’s VPN app, and your Xbox’s location should change too.
Method three: Router VPN
It’s also possible to install a VPN directly on your router. This will redirect traffic from any device that connects to the network, and you’re free to choose from a much wider range of locations. The downside is that this is a fairly involved process, and you’ll likely need to spend a few hours getting set up.
Can Netflix detect if I use a VPN?
Over the years, Netflix has gotten very skilled at identifying the subtle signs of VPN usage. Providers that don’t have the resources or time to keep finding new workarounds are inevitably blocked, to the point that it’s now quite rare for a VPN to work reliably with this service. In fact, many of those that claim to be able to securely access Netflix really only let you browse the US library. At the time of writing, only a select few services provide access to multiple Netflix catalogs.
Do I need a US payment method for US Netflix?
One of the many ways Netflix restricts its content is by requiring payment in the local currency. You won’t be able to pay for a US Netflix subscription in pounds or euros, for instance. However, there is a way around this since Netflix allows you to pay in gift cards.
Now, these gift cards are also currency-specific, so you’ll need one that’s loaded with US dollars. You can purchase digital vouchers from a variety of online retailers (or buy one in-store, if you’re traveling in the US), then simply enter the code on the Netflix website.
It’s worth mentioning that Netflix accounts themselves aren’t region-locked. In other words, even if you successfully create a US Netflix account, you’ll still only be able to watch titles that are available in your current location. The only difference is the monthly subscription price and the currency you pay in.
Can I get Netflix subtitles in my language?
Netflix technically supports subtitles and alternate audio for a wide range of languages, but not every TV show and movie has been translated or dubbed. The service claims that it “shows the 5-7 most relevant languages based on your location and language settings”, so if you select Hindi as your preferred language, these subtitles are more likely to be suggested over French or German when you’re watching something. Alternatively, you can filter content by subtitle language.
Why does Netflix have different shows in every country?
Although Netflix is now available in most countries around the world, the catalog varies wildly from place to place. This is because Netflix must gain broadcasting rights for content in each distinct region.
The licensing agreements that Netflix establishes with content producers and copyright holders mean that it must lock some of its content using geo-restrictions. As a result, if you travel abroad the number of titles available changes.
To ensure that Netflix only serves you licensed content, the streaming service checks your IP address each time you log in. This allows it to automatically serve you the content library agreed for that specific location.
When you connect to a VPN server in the US you conceal your IP address and get one in America. This causes Netflix to serve you the US catalog as if you were back home.
How do I fix Netflix error code M7111-1331-5067?
If you’re seeing the error code M7111-1331-5067 on Netflix, it typically points to a problem with your internet connection or with your browser’s settings.
To resolve the issue, start by checking your internet connection. If you’re connected but still receiving the error code, try changing your DNS settings to public DNS servers (like 126.96.36.199 for Google). You can also try using a VPN service to bypass any potential restrictions from your ISP.
Next, check that you don’t have any browser extensions or plugins interfering with Netflix. Try watching in incognito or private browsing mode, or clearing your cookies and cache. If none of those steps work, contact Netflix customer support.
What is the US Netflix library size?
The US Netflix library is smaller than the Netflix library in some other countries. As of this year, the US Netflix library had 5,568 titles, while the Canadian Netflix library had 6,299 titles.
Can I still watch content in HD while using a VPN with Netflix?
Assuming your VPN works with Netflix, the only thing stopping you from streaming in HD is your connection speed. Netflix recommends a minimum download speed of 5 Mbps for high-definition content and 15 Mbps for 4K.
It is worth noting that your VPN will almost always reduce your speeds to some degree. However, given the fairly low requirements set out above, you should be able to watch Netflix in HD, free from lag, as long as your base connection is 10 Mbps or higher.
Which Netflix library has the most content?
Netflix constantly adds and removes titles from its library as new licensing agreements are made and old ones expire. As you can imagine, this makes it pretty tricky to keep track of which regional catalogs are the biggest.
Luckily, our researchers have done just that. At the time of writing, Slovakia has the largest library, with 7,436 titles (2,024 TV shows and 5,412 movies). This is closely followed by Bulgaria (7,162 titles) and Lithuania (6,938 titles).
At the other end of the spectrum, we have Croatia, where subscribers get access to just 2,957 titles (2,239 of which are movies). That’s almost a thousand titles less than the second-smallest library (Moldova, with 3,918 titles).
Can I access multiple Netflix regions at the same time?
It’s not easy (or particularly practical) to access multiple Netflix regions at the same time. While Standard and Premium Netflix plans allow multiple simultaneous connections (2 and 4 respectively), this only works if they’re in the same region.
If you try to access multiple Netflix regions at the same time, you’d not only need multiple devices each with different IP addresses (easy if your VPN lets you connect multiple devices at once), they’d each need to be assigned to different Netflix accounts. Of course, this would prove costly!
Will changing my Netflix region cause videos to buffer?
If you use a VPN to change your Netflix region, you may experience some buffering depending on your internet connection speed and how far you are from the server location. However, this should be fine if you use one of our recommended VPN services. Generally, VPNs prevent bandwidth throttling imposed by ISPs when high bandwidth activities are detected, so it can actually speed up your connection. On the other hand, if you are experiencing frequent buffering, it is possible that your VPN is not working correctly. Try contacting your VPN provider to troubleshoot the issue.
What kind of internet speed do I need to stream Netflix?
Netflix recommends a minimum of 3 Mbps for streaming in 720p, 5 Mbps for 1080p, and 15 Mbps for 4K. Of course, you’ll want to be comfortably over the minimum if you want to avoid performance issues, be it lag or buffering. Fortunately, the fastest VPNs are all more than fast enough for 4K Netflix streaming so you shouldn’t have any trouble.
Can I change Netflix region on all devices?
You can change Netflix region on any device on which you can use a VPN. All major VPNs support desktop (Windows and Mac) and mobile (Android and iOS) at a minimum. However, some also offer apps for Linux as well as Amazon Fire TV and Android TV. In most cases, the process of using a VPN to change Netflix region is much the same.
How do I fix the Netflix proxy error?
If you’re experiencing the frustrating Netflix proxy error, there are a few things to try to get up and running again:
- Disable VPN or Proxy Server: If you are using a VPN or proxy server, try disabling it and see if that resolves the issue. Streaming providers easily detect VPNs with lackluster encryption, so if the error vanishes when disabling your VPN, you may need to try a different provider.
- Clear browser data and cache: Clearing your browser data and cache can help resolve many issues with streaming services such as Netflix. You can do this by going to your browser’s History or Clear Browsing Data section and deleting all data and cache.
- Restart your device: A simple restart can often help resolve connection issues when streaming content. Turn off your device and wait 30 seconds before turning it back on again.
- Try another browser: If the issue persists, try using a different web browser, such as Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox, to see if that resolves the error.
- Contact Netflix support: If none of these steps work, contact Netflix’s customer service for more assistance. They can provide further advice on how to fix the proxy error.
Can I change my region on Netflix without a VPN?
If you want to change your Netflix region without a VPN, you must be physically located in the country where the content you want is available. You can do this within your account if you’ve recently moved to another country and need to change your Netflix region. If you have any trouble switching locations, contact Netflix support.
What can I watch on Netflix?
You’re in luck! Netflix is like a bottomless treasure chest of fantastic TV shows and movies – you’ll never run out of options. Here are some of our all-time faves:
- Stranger Things: This supernatural thriller is like taking a trip back to the 80s, with a killer soundtrack and a pack of misfit kids battling otherworldly forces in small-town Indiana.
- You: This twisted drama follows Joe, a charming but deeply disturbed bookstore manager, as he becomes dangerously obsessed with a series of women. It’s creepy, addictive, and oh so good.
- Wednesday: This new Netflix original series is a fresh take on the classic Addams Family franchise, following Wednesday Addams as she navigates high school and her supernatural family.
- Luther: Fallen Sun: Idris Elba is back as DCI John Luther in this intense thriller that sees him investigating a string of grisly murders. It’s edge-of-your-seat stuff!
- The Crown: This lush historical drama chronicles the reign of Queen Elizabeth II, from her early days on the throne to the present day. It’s a fascinating look at one of the world’s most powerful families.
- Orange is the New Black: This groundbreaking series follows a diverse group of women in a women’s prison, tackling issues like race, identity, and social justice with humor and heart.
And that’s just the tip of the iceberg! With so many options on Netflix, you’re sure to find something that scratches your particular itch.
Can Netflix block my account for using a VPN?
Netflix doesn’t ban your account for using a VPN, but it does block VPN IP addresses from accessing its content. Netflix’s sophisticated VPN detection system uses various tools to identify VPN connections, such as databases of known IP addresses. If Netflix detects that you are using a VPN, it will show you a streaming error code m7111-1331-5059 and prevent you from watching any content41.
However, some VPN providers can bypass the Netflix VPN ban by using residential IP addresses or constantly updating their IP ranges. These VPNs can help you access different Netflix libraries from different regions. However, using a VPN to watch Netflix is technically against the Netflix service agreement and may violate some regional content agreements. Therefore, you should use a VPN for Netflix at your own risk and discretion.
Do all Netflix regions ban account sharing?
Netflix began testing its password-sharing ban in selected regions, which has since been rolled out to all its supported territories. However, if the account belongs to you and you want to enjoy Netflix abroad, you can still do so using a VPN – though Netflix may send a verification code to verify that you are using it.