Comparitech may change this Policy at any time in which case we shall notify you of any changes to this Policy by noting this on the Website. The changes will apply to your use of the Website after we have given notice. If you do not wish to accept the new Policy you should not continue to use the Website. If you continue to use the Website after the date on which the change comes into effect, your use of the Website indicates your agreement to be bound by the new Policy.
This Policy was last changed on 28 April 2022.
- ICO registration: For the purposes of data protection legislation, Comparitech is the controller for the processing of your personal data. Comparitech has notified the Information Commissioner’s Office (“ICO”) of its processing of personal data. The notification indicates what data is processed by Comparitech and for what purpose, and to which persons or entities the data will be provided. Comparitech’s registration number is ZA384009.
- Information which is collected when you use the Website: Comparitech may collect the following information from you when you use the Website (collectively, the “Data”):
- certain technical/analytical information collected by Comparitech when you use the Website such as IP addresses, times and methods of your requests, browser and operating system types and other usage data such as pages you visit, for how long and the frequency of such visitations (“Analytics Data”).
- if you choose to provide it to Comparitech, your email address and, in certain cases, your zip code or post code (used when participating in our broadband availability tool). If you provide the e-mail address of any other person you confirm that you have that party’s consent to provide such e-mail address to Comparitech.
- information obtained via the use of certain tools hosted on tools.comparitech.com, (“Tools Data“)including your Internet Protocol address (IP address) .
- How the information collected about you when you use the Website is used: The information about you described in Clause 2 may be used by Comparitech as follows:
- The Cookies Data and Analytics Data is collected to enable Comparitech to monitor and analyse web traffic and can be used to keep track of visitor behaviour on the Website.
- Your e-mail address is used, where you choose to submit it in relation to for example, subscribing for a mailing list or newsletter, in order to provide that mailing list or newsletter to you. We will also, subject to obtaining your consent to do so (unless otherwise permitted under direct marketing legislation), use your e-mail address to send you information about products/services that we consider you might be interested in. We may also seek your consent to provide your email address to selected third parties, such as one of our clients. You may opt out of us using your e-mail address for such marketing purposes at any time by clicking unsubscribe within the e-mail itself.
- Your zip code or post code is only used in relation to the broadband availability tool should you choose to use it.
- The Tools Data is used by us in terms of two specific tools: (i) a DNS leak test which helps you identify privacy issues so that they can be fixed. We may also, at the same time, and only if you give your consent, access your devices such as camera and microphone but you can revoke such access at any time via your standard browser settings; and (ii) a speed test.
- All of the Data is shared with third parties as described further below.
- Grounds for processing: Comparitech relies on the legitimate interests processing ground to collect the Cookies Data and Analytics Data. It is in Comparitech’s legitimate interests to collect the Cookies Data and Analytics Data because this is necessary in order to provide and improve the Website. The personal data collected is extremely limited and we have assess to be not of a nature whereby your rights and freedoms as a data subject are outweighed by such data collection.
Comparitech relies on consent to obtain your e-mail address and zip code/post code and Tools Data as you can choose whether to provide such e-mail address or zip code/post code to Comparitech or not and you can choose and consent to whether you participate in the DNS leak test or speed test.
- those entities listed in its Cookies Policy, click here for more details;
- the provider of Comparitech’s own database;
- with its hosting providers and assistors such as AWS, A2 and Presslabs;
- with selected third parties, if you have provided your consent for your personal data to be shared;
- having taken precautions to maintain the security of such information, Comparitech may share this information with its regulator (the ICO);
- in anonymised form, Comparitech may share the information with:
- any third party, in relation to the sale of some or all of Comparitech’s business, or its assets, or as part of any business restructuring or reorganisation. Comparitech will take steps with the aim of ensuring that your rights continue to be protected if your personal data is transferred in accordance with this clause;
- data aggregators and platform providers as part of an analysis of user metrics or sales performance; or
- law enforcement agencies in compliance with law enforcement.
- Links to third party websites and third party adverts: Comparitech is not responsible for the privacy policies and practices of other sites even if you access them via the Website. You should check the policy of each site you visit and contact its owner or operator if you have any concerns or questions. In addition, if you link to the Website from a third party site or via a social network, Comparitech is not responsible for the privacy policies and practices of the owners or operators of that third party site and recommends that you check the policy of that third party site and contact its owner or operator if you have any concerns or questions.
- Security: Comparitech has implemented technology and policies to safeguard your privacy from unauthorised access and improper use.
- International Transfer, Storage and Data Retention: Comparitech stores the Data in various countries, including outside the EEA. However, where it does store the Data outside the EEA it takes appropriate measures to ensure that the transfer of such Data is deemed adequate under the UK GDPR and the EU GDPR, or we may use specific contracts approved for use under UK GDPR and /or EU GDPR which gives personal data the same protection it has in the UK and the EU. Comparitech keeps the Data for the time necessary to provide the service requested by you from the Website.
- Exercising your rights: You can contact us using the details below if you wish to: (i) access a copy of the personal data that we hold about you; (ii) correct any items of personal data that we hold about you; and/or (iii) have any items of personal data that we hold about you erased or object to our processing of such items of personal data.
- Comparitech Details: If at any time you would like to contact Comparitech about your views on this Policy or any enquiry relating to your personal information, you can do so by sending an e-mail to us at email@example.com.
For UK based individuals: You also have the right to make a complaint to the ICO by contacting it at any time.