ATTENTION: WELCOME TO COMPARITECH.COM, THIS WEBSITE IS OWNED AND OPERATED BY COMPARITECH LIMITED (‘THE COMPANY’), A REGISTERED UK LIMITED COMPANY. THIS LEGAL NOTICE (‘NOTICE) APPLIES TO THE WEBSITE UNDER THE DOMAIN NAME WWW.COMPARITECH.COM (‘WEBSITE’) AND TO ANY CORRESPONDENCE BY E-MAIL BETWEEN THE COMPANY AND YOU. PLEASE READ THIS NOTICE CAREFULLY BEFORE USING THIS WEBSITE. USING THIS WEBSITE INDICATES THAT YOU ACCEPT THE TERMS OF THIS NOTICE AND AGREE TO BE BOUND BY IT. IF YOU DO NOT ACCEPT THIS NOTICE, DO NOT USE THIS WEBSITE. THIS NOTICE IS ISSUED BY THE COMPANY.
For the purposes of data protection legislation, the Company is the controller for the processing of your personal data. The Company has notified the Information Commissioner’s Office (“ICO”) of its processing of personal data. The notification indicates what data is processed by the Company and for what purpose, and to which persons or entities the data will be provided. The Company’s registration number is ZA384009.
Types of Data collected
This Website collects the following information from you when using the Website:
- Information collected automatically from/by the Website from you which can include: the IP addresses or domain names of the computers utilised by you when using this Website, the URI addresses (Uniform Resource Identifier), the time of the request, the method utilised to submit the request to the server, the size of the file received in response, the numerical code indicating the status of the server’s answer (successful outcome, error, etc.), the country of origin, the features of the browser and the operating system utilised by you, the various time details per visit (e.g., the time spent on each page within the Website) and the details about the navigation path of your use of the Website, particularly the sequence of pages visited. This also includes other information about your device operating system and/or your IT environment when using the Website (“Usage Data”);
- If you choose to provide it to the Company, your email address and, in certain cases, your zip code (used when participating in our broadband availability tool). If you provide the e-mail address of any other person you confirm that you have that party’s consent to provide such e-mail address to the Company; and
- Information obtained via the use of certain tools hosted on tools.comparitech.com, including your IP address (“Tools Data”).
All of the above are referred to collectively as the “Data”.
Our use of the collected Data
The Data is collected for the following purposes:
- The Cookies Data and Usage Data is collected to enable the Company to monitor and analyse web traffic and can be used to keep track of visitor behaviour on the Website.
- Your e-mail address is used, where you choose to submit it in relation to e.g., subscribing for a mailing list or newsletter, to provide that mailing list or newsletter to you. We will also, subject to obtaining your consent to do so (unless otherwise permitted under direct marketing legislation), use your e-mail address to send you information about products/services that we consider you might be interested in. You may opt out of us using your e-mail address for such marketing purposes at any time by clicking unsubscribe within the e-mail itself.
- Your zip code is only used in relation to the broadband availability tool should you choose to use it.
- The Tools Data is used by us in terms of two specific tools: (i) a DNS leak test which helps you identify privacy issues so that they can be fixed. We may also, at the same time, and only if you give your consent, access your devices such as camera and microphone but you can revoke such access at any time via your standard browser settings; and (ii) a speed test.
- All of the Data is shared with third parties as described further below.
Grounds for processing
The Company relies on the legitimate interests processing ground to collect the Cookies Data and Usage Data. It is in the Company’s legitimate interests to collect the Cookies Data and Usage Data because this is necessary in order to provide and improve the Website. The items of personal data collected are extremely limited and therefore not of a nature whereby your rights and freedoms as a data subject are outweighed by such data collection.
The Company relies on consent to obtain your e-mail address and zip code and Tools Data as you can choose whether to provide such e-mail address or zip code to the Company or not and you can choose whether to participate in the DNS leak test or speed test too.
Sharing information with third parties
The Company may share your Data with the following third parties:
Those entities listed in its Cookies Policy, click here for more details.
The Company’s database
- The Company may record your e-mail address in its own database.
The Company’s hosting providers and assistors
- The Company uses AWS to process certain Cookies Data and Usage Data.
- Place of processing: US
- The Company uses A2 to process the Tools Data.
- The Company uses Presslabs to store the Data.
- Place of processing: Worldwide
- See https://www.presslabs.com/docs/legal/privacy-policy/ for further information.
Security, Storage and Data Retention
The Company stores the Data in a proper manner and shall take appropriate security measures to prevent unauthorized access, disclosure, modification, or unauthorized destruction of the Data. The Company uses computers and/or IT enabled tools, following organizational procedures and modes strictly related to the purposes indicated.
The Company stores the Data in various countries, including those outside the EEA. However, where the Company stores Data outside the EEA it takes measures to ensure that the transfer of such Data is deemed adequate under the GDPR. The Company keeps the Data for the time necessary to provide the service requested by you from the Website, after which time that Data will be deleted by the Company. You can always request that the Company suspend or remove the Data.
Rights and Contact Details
Information not contained in this Notice
More details concerning the collection or processing of the Data may be requested from the Company at any time using the details below:
Owner contact email: email@example.com
You can contact the Company using the details set out in the paragraph above if you wish to: (i) access a copy of the personal data that we hold about you; (ii) correct any items of personal data that we hold about you; and/or (iii) have any items of personal data that we hold about you erased or object to our processing of such items of personal data. You have the right to make a complaint to the ICO by contacting them at any time.
This Website does not support “Do Not Track” requests.
To determine whether any of the third-party services used by the Company honour the “Do Not Track” requests, please read the respective privacy policies.
Changes to this Notice
Latest update: May 24, 2018