A dedicated IP address is a static IP address that does not change and is used exclusively by one user. If you get a dedicated IP from a VPN, you’ll be assigned the same IP address every time you connect, and you won’t share it with anyone else. Dedicated IPs are useful for online services that restrict access to certain IPs, or for hosting an online service to which users can reliably connect.
Most VPNs and internet service providers don’t offer dedicated IP addresses by default. ISPs tend to shuffle around IP addresses as needed to devices as they connect and disconnect from their networks, so customers’ IP addresses change regularly. VPNs usually use shared IP addresses, in which multiple users access the internet from a single IP address. This approach improves privacy by making it impossible to trace online activity back to a single user.
But dedicated IPs are less likely to be blacklisted by websites, apps, services, and censorship systems. You can more easily avoid CAPTCHAs than with shared IP address VPNs. You can use them to securely and remotely access your smart home system or even business servers.
In this post, we reveal the best VPNs for a static or dedicated IP address and explain more about the different options and their advantages.
If you just want a quick look at the best VPNs, here they are:
- NordVPN: Best option. Offers a static IP address service and dedicated IP address options
- Surfshark: Offers access to speedy static IP servers at no added cost.
- CyberGhost: A private, dedicated IP is available for an added fee.
- PureVPN: Offers a dedicated IP address service
- VPNArea: Can get you a dedicated IP address
- Ivacy: Has a dedicated IP address option
- Windscribe: Has a static IP address service option
How to choose the best VPN for a static or dedicated IP address
To get on our list, the VPNs we studied not only need to offer shared or dedicated IP addresses, they also have to work well. In particular, we look for the following attributes:
- A selection of IP address locations
- Fast speeds
- Strong encryption
- Privacy measures
- Solid customer support
- Constant availability so your own server doesn’t go offline
WANT TO TRY THE TOP VPN RISK FREE?
NordVPN is offering a fully-featured risk-free 30-day trial if you sign up at this page. You can use the VPN rated #1 for getting a static IP address for a month without any restrictions. This is ideal if you want to try all of its features out first-hand before deciding.
There are no hidden terms – just contact support within 30 days if you decide NordVPN isn't right for you and you'll get a full refund. Start your NordVPN trial here.
Best VPNs for dedicated and static IP addresses
Here is our list of the seven best VPNs for dedicated or static IP addresses:
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
NordVPN offers dedicated IP addresses for an additional fee on top of its standard subscription. shared IP addresses with a limited number of addresses available for each server.
The standard NordVPN service gives you a shared IP address, so many other users who are connected to the same server will have the same IP address.
To get a dedicated IP address, you first need to purchase a standard NordVPN subscription, then order a dedicated IP using a coupon code listed on Nord’s website. The price is $70 per year on top of the standard subscription at time of writing. The process takes one to three business days.
Locations available include the US (four cities), the UK, France, Germany, and the Netherlands. You can still also use the shared IP service, which has more than 5,000 servers in 62 countries and you can connect up to six devices to the shared service simultaneously. This is a great VPN for accessing websites that operate cross-border access restrictions, such as Netflix.
NordVPN offers an array of security features and its website has an extensive knowledge base as well as access to 24/7 support via live chat. The VPN apps can be installed on Windows, macOS, Linux, iOS, and Android devices. There is also a NordVPN browser extension available for Chrome and Firefox.
- Dedicated IP addresses in 5 countries
- Wider shared service that uses a small IP addresses pool
- Decent speeds
- Secure, private service
- Good value for money
- Huge network of servers spanning 62 countries
- Connection to some servers can be slow
BEST VPN FOR A STATIC OR DEDICATED IP ADDRESS:NordVPN offers static IP addresses in its basic service and a dedicated IP address as an addon. It’s a fast, secure service, with excellent customer support. NordVPN offers a 30-day no-fuss money-back guarantee with each subscription so you can try it risk-free.
Read our full NordVPN review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
Surfshark has more than 1,700 servers in 63 countries and allows you to get a static IP address from five countries (Germany, the US, the UK, Japan, and Singapore) at no added cost. Speeds are generally quite impressive and as there’s no connection limit, you can get a static IP address on every device you own if you’d like to.
This VPN takes your security seriously, as evidenced by its use of 256-bit encryption, DNS and IPv6 leak protection, and kill switch. Those aren’t the only tools it has up its sleeve, though: there’s also an automatic malware scanner, a NoBorders mode (for bypassing strict online blocking), and a strict no-logging policy. Surfshark offers round-the-clock support via email and live chat.
Surfshark provides apps for Android, MacOS, Windows, iOS, and Linux devices. Additionally, it can be manually configured for select network routers.
- Provides fast static servers at no added cost
- Top-notch security features
- Puts your privacy first
- Wide range of security features
- 24/7 live chat available
- Servers vary in terms of speed
UNLIMITED CONNECTIONS:Surfshark comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee and allows you to swap freely between dynamic or static servers. Users can connect any number of devices and get a static IP address from five different countries.
Read our full review of Surfshark here.
CyberGhost recently added a dedicated IP option to its service that users can add for an extra fee. CyberGhost’s dedicated IP is more private than other providers because the company does not know what IP address it has assigned you. Instead, users are given a token. Users redeem the token in their app, which allows you to connect to your dedicated IP with no ties to your CyberGhost account.
The downside to this approach is that you only get one token. If you lose it, you’ll no longer have access to your dedicated IP. You’ll need the token whenever you activate a new CyberGhost app or reinstall an existing app.
CyberGhost users get more than 60 countries to choose from. It meets all of our performance and security standards including strong encryption, leak protection, and a kill switch. It’s great for unblocking region-locked content and speeds are fast enough for HD video streaming. CyberGhost doesn’t store any identifying logs about its users or their online activity.
- Token-based dedicated IP is more private than rivals
- Strong security
- No logs
- Great for streaming
- Good speeds
- Dedicated IP is a paid add-on
- User must store and protect their own token
PRIVATE AND DEDICATED:CyberGhost's dedicated IP option takes your privacy into account. It comes with a 45-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full CyberGhost review.
Money-back guarantee: 31 DAYS
PureVPN operates VPN servers in 141 countries. Dedicated IP addresses are available in the UK, the US, Canada, Germany, Malta, Australia, Hong Kong, and Singapore. This service is a paid extra on top of a regular subscription. The standard PureVPN service is great for bypassing government internet restrictions when you’re in China.
PureVPN has fast speeds and comes with top-notch security, including 256-bit encryption and a kill switch. It’s had some bad press in the past for keeping logs but currently keeps no record of personally identifiable information. The service is great for dodging detection at a long list of sites that operate regional restrictions, including Netflix.
The service includes apps for Windows, macOS, Linux, iOS, and Android devices and browser extensions for Chrome and Firefox. PureVPN is available as a Kodi addon and there are apps for Android TV boxes, Amazon Fire TV, and Amazon Fire Stick.
Five devices can be connected simultaneously. You can only use the dedicated IP address once at any one time, but you can use that shared service allowance for your other devices.
- Dedicated IP addresses available in eight countries
- Wide VPN network with servers in 141 countries
- Fast, secure service
- Keeps no logs
- Good for use in China
- Some servers have trouble connecting
SOLID BUDGET OPTION:PureVPN is another low-cost alternative and offers eight location options for dedicated IP addresses. Enjoy a 31-day quibble-free money-back guarantee on each subscription.
Read our full PureVPN review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
VPNArea is a Bulgaria-based VPN service with a lot of attractive features, including access to servers in 70 countries and an allowance of six simultaneous connections on the regular service. You can get a dedicated IP address for the US (six locations), the UK, Canada, Australia, the Netherlands, Romania, Germany, Bulgaria, Singapore, and Hong Kong. This is the largest choice of all of the VPNs on our list. This service is a paid extra to the standard subscription.
This service includes military-grade encryption, leak protection, and a kill switch. An unusual allowance of VPNArea is that the company doesn’t mind if you share an account with a friend, which is a no-no for most VPNs.
Apps are easy to use and install on Windows, macOS, Android, iOS, and Ubuntu, Debian, Fedora, CentOS, and Mint Linux. The company runs specialized servers for downloading and streaming video. Customer support is available via online chat around-the-clock every day of the year. This is also a good service for use in China and it is able to dodge detection by Netflix and other streaming sites.
- Dedicated IP addresses available in 15 locations
- Servers in 70 countries offering fast speeds
- Strong security features
- Good for use in China
- The app isn’t the most user-friendly
GREAT FOR SHARING:VPNArea allows account sharing and offers specialized servers and fast speeds. VPNArea gives each account a 7-day problem-free money-back guarantee.
Read our full VPNArea review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 Days
Ivacy is based in Singapore and offers access to servers in 56 countries with a standard subscription. The dedicated IP address option is priced on a per address basis and is added on top of a regular subscription. Locations offered are in the United Kingdom, the United States, Canada, Australia, Germany, Hong Kong, and Singapore.
This service is fast and is a great option for accessing restricted online TV services. It can even unblock various Netflix libraries from abroad. Being based in Southeast Asia, the company has paid particular attention to creating a service for people in China so that they can dodge internet access restrictions there. The service even includes access to servers inside China. The Ivacy customer support team can be contacted via live chat.
Apps for the VPN are available for Windows, macOS, Linux, Android, and iOS, and browser extensions are available for Chrome and Firefox. Ivacy can be installed on Android TV, Amazon Fire Stick, and some games consoles.
You can connect five devices simultaneously with the standard Ivacy service. The dedicated IP address can be used as one of those connections, so you can use the shared service for another four devices.
- Dedicated IP addresses in seven countries
- Fast, secure service
- Good for use in China
- Low cost
- Live chat representatives can’t always answer technical questions
- Poor connection with some servers
FAST SPEEDS:Ivacy has very fast speeds, so if you’re using your dedicated IP address for streaming or downloading, this could be a great option. Ivacy offers a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full Ivacy review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
Windscribe doesn’t offer dedicated IP addresses but you can get a static IP address as a paid addon. By upgrading to the static IP service, you are guaranteed to get the same IP address every time you connect to a server, but you will share the IP address with other users.
You cut down the number of the people that you share the VPN service with if you pay for the static IP address extra because you use addresses that are only accessible to those higher plan subscribers. The basic static IP service uses a data center IP address. A higher cost option gives you an IP address that was registered at a residential address — some geo-restricted services will block access to commercial IP addresses.
This is a great service for getting around the regional restrictions operated by some websites and the company has specialist servers for access to US Netflix and UK Netflix.
The wider network includes servers in 60 countries and there is no limit to the number of devices you can connect to the service simultaneously.
- Static IP addresses in 13 countries
- Wide VPN network with servers in 60 countries
- Excellent speeds
- Extra security features
- Live customer support isn’t always manned
- Limited mobile app
STATIC IP OPTIONS:Windscribe gives the choice of both data center and residential static IP addresses gives you two levels of service to choose from. Windscribe gives a three-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full Windscribe review.
Finding the best VPNs for getting a dedicated or static IP: our methodology
Not all VPNs offer the option of dedicated or static IPs. Even fewer of these VPNs are of good quality! Our methodology involves extensive research and hands-on testing of each VPN as well as looking for the following features:
- Dedicated or static IP addresses: Each VPN in this post offers you the option of obtaining a dedicated or static IP address. The difference is that a dedicated IP address is used only by you. A static IP may be shared with other users but will remain the same each time you connect to the server. While static IP addresses are often free, dedicated IP addresses are almost always a paid extra.
- Servers worldwide: It doesn’t hurt to have access to more servers in more locations. This only makes it easier to access content and find a fast server near your location. We looked for VPNs with servers in dozens of countries. We also sought those VPNs that ideally offer dedicated and static IP addresses in multiple locations.
- Speed: Some of the VPNs we’ve covered (such as NordVPN and Surfshark) are among the fastest VPNs we’ve tested. Their high-speed connections make them ideal for streaming in high resolution (even in 4K). With unlimited bandwidth, they also allow you to torrent as much as you like without having to worry about connection throttling.
- Unblocking: One of the main benefits of a VPN is that it should allow you to access geo-blocked content. This may be a popular streaming service, a news site, social media platform, or even your online banking account. This makes VPNs particularly useful if you travel abroad on a regular basis. We aimed to find VPNs with consistent unblocking.
- Security: At the very least, a quality VPN will provide 256-bit AES encryption, DNS leak protection, and a kill switch. Where possible, we look for VPNs to offer extra security options, be it an ad blocker, access to a password manager, Double VPN servers, or auto wifi protection. You then have the choice of activating the extras should you wish.
- Privacy: Aside from providing protection from security threats, a VPN should protect your privacy from snoopers. This may be your ISP or even your country’s government. For this reason, it’s essential you use a VPN that doesn’t keep identifying logs of users. We looked at 140 VPN logging policies and identified those which keep you safe online.
- Ease of use: Not all VPN apps are easy to use, especially for beginners. That doesn’t have to be the case, however. The best VPNs let you connect to a server in just a click or two. If you need help, 24/7 live chat and email support will be at hand. There should also be plenty of setup and troubleshooting guides should you need them.
- Value for money: Even if you add on the extra fee that comes with a dedicated IP, the VPNs listed in this post remain remarkably affordable. One reason for this is the discount coupons we’ve provided for each VPN service in question. Notably, the VPNs we recommend also come with money-back guarantees so you can try them risk-free.
In order to find out if a VPN truly offers the above, we have to try it for ourselves, as part of our VPN testing methodology.
Dynamic and static IP addresses explained
On a typical residential internet service, you don’t get the same IP address every time you connect. Instead, your Internet Service Provider (ISP) will allocate you an address from a pool that it owns. This system was invented to slow down the exhaustion of IPv4 addresses. The assumption is that the number of ISP customers that are connected at any one time is always lower than the total number of customers. Thus, the ISP can get away with owning fewer addresses by using a dynamic addressing system.
ISPs don’t usually use this system for commercial customers, particularly for those customers that run their own web servers. This is because the advertised IP address that is registered in DNS servers gets linked to the URL used for the company’s website. In these scenarios, the company would have to update every DNS server in the world whenever the ISP allocated a different address to the company’s connection service. This would be too complicated, so companies usually get a dedicated IP address for their web servers.
Many VPNs also assign dynamic IP addresses. Usually, VPN services own a small number of addresses for each of their servers. They allocate groups of customers at random to each of the addresses that they own as users connect. Some VPN services offer static IP addresses, by default or as an option.
A shared static IP address VPN service has advantages over the standard dynamic IP service. Where a static IP address is an optional addon, these addresses will tend to get less use than their dynamic counterparts. You might still have your internet freedom impaired owing to the actions of the other people sharing that IP address, but with fewer users sharing, the likelihood of that address ending up on a blacklist is going to be reduced.
The shared static IP address model is offered as standard on NordVPN’s service. This configuration doesn’t really give you many advantages over the dynamic IP address system offered by other VPNs. The only extra protection that you get from such a configuration is that if that one shared VIP address gets blacklisted, all of the customers of NordVPN are going to be crippled, so it is more likely that the company will change that address pretty quickly.
Many VPN companies refuse to offer dedicated IP addresses. This is because they are concerned with protecting the identities of their customers. Even if a VPN company didn’t keep IP address logs, a one-to-one mapping between a representative dedicated IP address and a customer can be uncovered very quickly through customer account details if anyone gets a court order for the VPN’s records. Any type of shared address formula enables the VPN provider a chance of blocking the traceability of connections through to the end user.
Dedicated IP addresses and their advantages
A dedicated IP address is not shared and is only assigned to one customer. There are various scenarios where a dedicated IP address might be useful, for example, for running a business or gaming.
Not everyone is looking for total anonymity. In particular, those who want their servers to be discovered don’t want privacy. The dedicated IP address is the quickest, cheapest, and easiest way to overcome the effects of the dynamic address allocation system that ISPs use.
With a dedicated IP address VPN, you can front your small business web server with a larger server that is capable of absorbing DDoS attacks and you can use a much cheaper residential internet service plan.
Privacy-conscious individuals can use the VPN as an address for a home games server and also get a fixed IP address that will enable them to connect to home computers running as file servers. With a dedicated IP address service, you can advertise your home server’s address without the worry of that address being changed periodically.