If you’re looking to get a Canadian IP address, chances are you’ve experienced the frustration of coming across geo-locked TV, websites and other content. Almost any online resource can be restricted to a particular country or region including news articles, videos, and everyday services.
Whether you’re living in Canada or you’re a Canadian living abroad, you can get a Canadian IP address with a VPN, allowing you to bypass geo-restricted sites and protect your online privacy.
While free VPNs are of very limited use (particularly for streaming) there are several paid VPNs with 30 day money-back guarantees. These can be used to get free access to a Canadian IP, so long as you cancel within the initial 30 days. We’ll cover these and walk you through the best VPNs for Canada and how to use them.
We get into plenty of detail below on each of the providers, but if you want a quick glance, here is our list of the best VPNs for getting a Canadian IP:
- NordVPN Our top choice! Superfast Canadian servers and a strong emphasis on security. Comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
- Surfshark Best budget option. Plenty of servers to suit most purposes. Easy to use and good for unblocking streaming content.
- ExpressVPN A tried and tested service that’s great for streaming. Powerful security features and steady speeds.
- CyberGhost Great for beginners and technophobes as apps are easy to install and use. Fast speeds.
- IPVanish Allows up to 10 simultaneous VPN connections. Speeds are great for downloading and streaming.
- PrivateVPN Unblocks plenty of popular content.
With a VPN, you can unblock content limited to Canada from the US, UK, Europe, or anywhere else in the world. In case you’re wondering, a VPN stands for Virtual Private Network. It serves to encrypt the traffic going to and from your browsing device, hiding your IP address in the process. Traffic is routed through a server of your choice. In this case, you’ll want one located in Canada. By choosing a VPN provider with servers in Canada, you’ll be able to access content restricted to that location by using a Canadian IP address. What’s more, you’ll be able to do so safely with your privacy intact.
How to get a Canadian IP address (free)
If you need an IP address from Canada for less than 30 days we’ll show you how to get it free! You may be surprised by how quick and easy it is to get a Canadian IP address, just follow these steps.
Here’s how to get a Canadian IP address:
- Register with a VPN service – (we recommend NordVPN.)
- Download the relevant VPN app for your device.
- Choose one of the VPN’s Canada-based servers.
- Try out the geo-restricted content which should now be unblocked (you may need to clear your cookies for changes to take effect).
- Enjoy unrestricted content and enhanced security.
WANT TO TRY THE TOP VPN RISK FREE?
NordVPN is offering a fully-featured risk-free 30-day trial if you sign up at this page. You can use the VPN rated #1 for getting a Canadian IP address without restriction for a month—great if you want to try streaming TV from back home while on vacation.
There are no hidden terms—just contact support within 30 days if you decide NordVPN isn't right for you and you'll get a full refund. Start your NordVPN trial here.
The best VPN to get a Canadian IP address
Not all VPNs we have reviewed are worth your time and money. Some VPN providers offer far more servers than others while they can also vary wildly in terms of the level of security and speed offered. For this reason, we’ve taken the time to explore the best VPNs to get a Canadian IP address. To be considered, the VPN had to meet the following criteria:
- A network of servers located around the world, particularly in Canada
- Servers that offer high speed and reliability for stress-free streaming
- A high level of security with features including 256-bit AES encryption
- No logging policy so your online activity and personal details remain private
- Apps for Windows, MacOS, Android, and iOS
- Customer support that offers prompt and helpful replies
See also: Best VPNs for Canada
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
NordVPN is a serious contender if you want a VPN for Canada, having 346 servers in Canada, In fact, NordVPN is excellent for accessing geo-restricted content worldwide since it has over 5,100 servers in 62 countries at the time of writing – that’s far more than most other VPN providers. Of course, quality is just as important as quantity. Our streaming experience on the likes of Netflix and Hulu was smooth and without interruption.
NordVPN offers users a lot of choice. Not only are there many servers, specialty servers include Double VPN, P2P, Onion Over VPN and Dedicated IP. What’s more, it’s possible to secure up to 6 devices at the same time with a single NordVPN account. There’s no shortage of security options either with a no logs policy, 256-bit AES encryption, DNS leak protection and an automatic kill switch. It’s also worth mentioning that NordVPN is based in Panama, which has no mandatory data retention law.
NordVPN offers apps for Windows, Mac, Android, iOS and Linux. NordVPN also has browser extensions for Chrome and Firefox.
NordVPN speed test data
|Average Connection Speed - North America (USA)||111.7 Mbps|
|Average Connection Speed - Europe (UK)||122.3 Mbps|
|Average Connection Speed - Asia (Hong Kong)||112.0 Mbps|
- Unparalleled network – over 5,000 servers across 60 countries
- Major emphasis on security and privacy
- Faster than any other service we’ve tested
- Easily unblocks a wide range of geo-locked sites
- 24/7 customer support via live chat
- Desktop app can be cumbersome at times
BEST VPN FOR A CANADIAN IP ADDRESS:NordVPN is out #1 choice. Works well with streaming sites, includes plenty of strong security features, and offers a risk-free 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full NordVPN review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
Surfshark is an inexpensive, reliable VPN with servers in over 60 countries including Canada. Its speeds are fast enough for HD live streaming, which is perfect since this VPN also boasts strong unblocking ability. You’ll be able to access all sorts of platforms including Netflix Canada, TSN, and CTV, and with no connection limit, you can watch on any device you like.
We were impressed by this VPN’s selection of security features. There’s 256-bit encryption, a kill switch in every version, and protection against IPv6, DNS, and WebRTC leaks, as well as automatic ad-blocking and malware-scanning. Surfshark has a no-logs policy but if you’d prefer even greater anonymity, you can pay in one of three popular cryptocurrencies. Customer support is on-hand 24/7 via live chat in case of any problems.
Surfshark apps are available for Android, iOS, Windows, Mac, and Linux. It also works with supported routers, but must be manually installed.
Surfshark speed test data
|Average Connection Speed - North America (USA)||170 Mbps|
|Average Connection Speed - Europe (UK)||230 Mbps|
|Average Connection Speed - Asia (Hong Kong)||220 Mbps|
- Unblocks many popular Canadian services abroad
- Boasts strong security features
- Accepts cryptocurrency
- Fast enough for flawless streaming
- Doesn’t have as many servers as some others in this list
Read our full review of Surfshark here.
BEST BUDGET VPN:Surfshark delivers on security, privacy, streaming capabilities, and best of all, it won’t break the bank. All plans include a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
ExpressVPN is a strong option for anyone looking to get a Canadian IP address. With four Canadian servers located in Montreal, Toronto and Vancouver, you should have no problems unblocking content restricted to Canada. Most importantly, ExpressVPN offers high quality servers with very fast speeds and reliable connections which is great for streaming. What’s more, ExpressVPN has over 3,000 VPN servers in 94 countries so you’ll never be short of options.
This service offers solid security and is one of the safest VPNs on the market today. Security features include 256-bit AES encryption, DNS leak protection and a kill switch. Just as important, ExpressVPN doesn’t keep activity logs or connection logs so you can surf the web without having to worry about your online privacy. You’re unlikely to face any problems with ExpressVPN but if you do, there’s excellent customer support with a 24/7 live chat feature. Very few VPNs offer this, so it’s really an added bonus.
ExpressVPN has apps for Windows, Mac, Linux, Android and iOS. An app is also available for routers but this does require manual setup. ExpressVPN also offers browser extensions for Chrome, Firefox and Safari.
ExpressVPN speed test data
|Average Connection Speed - North America (USA)||135.7 Mbps|
|Average Connection Speed - Europe (UK)||134 Mbps|
|Average Connection Speed - Asia (Hong Kong)||136 Mbps|
- 3,000+ servers in 94 countries
- Fast speeds for streaming and torrenting
- Top-class security and privacy protection features
- Offers 24/7 live chat
- Slightly more pricey than other services
- May not be customizable enough to satisfy power users
FAST AND RELIABLE:ExpressVPN is quick and easy to use. Provides steady speeds and works with all major streaming platforms. Top-notch privacy protections. 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full ExpressVPN review.
Money-back guarantee: 45 DAYS
CyberGhost has 199 servers in Canada at present, allowing you to easily have a Canadian IP address. Overall, this VPN provider has more than 3,000 servers in 60 countries which means you can unblock content in Canada as well as almost any other location. CyberGhost is particularly well suited for streaming since it offers fast and reliable VPN connections with unlimited bandwidth and traffic.
Our experience with the CyberGhost app was positive since it’s quick and convenient to use. You can enjoy simultaneous connections on up to 7 devices, allowing you to secure everything from your laptop to your mobile phone. Indeed, CyberGhost is one of the safest VPNs available. This VPN provider is based in Romania where there are no mandatory data retention laws. It offers 256-bit AES encryption, DNS and IP leak protection, an automatic kill switch and a strict no logs policy.
CyberGhost apps are available for Windows, Mac, Linux, Android and iOS. CyberGhost can also be used on some routers with manual configuration.
CyberGhost speed test data
|Average Connection Speed - North America (USA)||78.7 Mbps|
|Average Connection Speed - Europe (UK)||54.7 Mbps|
|Average Connection Speed - Asia (Hong Kong)||39.3 Mbps|
- Operates a network of more than 3,000 servers in 60 countries
- Apps are easy to install and use – a good option for beginners
- Ability to connect to multiple servers simultaneously on the same device
- Scored very highly in our speed testing
- Won’t work in China, UAE or Turkey
- Doesn’t offer much control over advanced functionality
Easy-to-use apps:CyberGhost is beginner friendly. Strong on privacy, fast speeds and reliable for torrenting. We found it easy to set up and use. Great speeds. 45-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full CyberGhost review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
IPVanish is a US-based VPN with 30+ servers in Canada and over 1,100 servers in more than 60 countries. Having tested this VPN with a variety of services, we’ve found it to be one of the fastest VPNs on the market. You can use IPVanish to unblock the likes of BBC iPlayer and Amazon Prime Video and should experience high quality streaming with minimal buffering. What’s particularly impressive is that IPVanish lets users have as many simultaneous connections as they like.
If you’re new to using a VPN, you’ll appreciate that setting up and using IPVanish is extremely quick and easy. This is a VPN service that is also easy to use with Kodi and the Amazon Fire Stick. Aside from being user-friendly, the IPVanish apps offer a high level of security. IPVanish uses 256-bit AES encryption and has DNS leak protection built in. A kill switch protects your device should the VPN connection drop. Finally, IPVanish maintains a zero logs policy, preserving your privacy.
IPVanish is available on Windows, Mac, Android and iOS. Manual setup is required for Linux as well as routers.
IPVanish speed test data
|Average Connection Speed - North America (USA)||72 Mbps|
|Average Connection Speed - Europe (UK)||31.3 Mbps|
|Average Connection Speed - Asia (Hong Kong)||52.3 Mbps|
- Operates a network of more than 1,300 servers from 75 city locations around the globe
- Keeps no logs whatsoever
- Allows unlimited internet connections
- Doesn’t reliably unblock Netflix, Hulu
- Doesn’t accept Bitcoin
NO CONNECTION LIMIT:IPVanish has a large network of servers. Generally solid for torrenters, Kodi users, and folks who need the highest standard of privacy, but hit and miss connections with US, Canadian and UK Netflix libraries. 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full IPVanish review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
PrivateVPN is a smaller VPN provider with a network of around 100 servers in 57 countries. This VPN service allows you to get a Canadian IP address since it has 4 servers located in Canada (they’re located in Montreal, Toronto and Vancouver). One of the reasons why PrivateVPN is worth considering is the very fast download speeds offered. We tested servers out on video streaming sites such as Netflix, BBC iPlayer and Amazon Prime Video with positive results.
The interface of the PrivateVPN app is simple, making this VPN service ideal for beginners. However, those seeking more advanced options won’t be disappointed. The option of using a stealth VPN serves to bypass deep packet inspection. PrivateVPN uses 256-bit AES encryption, provides DNS leak protection, and includes a kill switch. It states that it has a zero data logging policy with no logs of traffic data.
PrivateVPN apps are available for Windows, Mac, Android and iOS. Instructions are available for setup with Linux and routers.
PrivateVPN speed test data
|Average Connection Speed - North America (USA)||94 Mbps|
|Average Connection Speed - Europe (UK)||56.7 Mbps|
|Average Connection Speed - Asia (Hong Kong)||61.7 Mbps|
- Gaining a reputation for unblocking popular streaming sites
- Use up to six devices simultaneously
- Zero-logs provider
- Fewer servers to choose from than other providers higher on this list
- Support staff are good, but only operate during European business hours
GREAT SPEED:PrivateVPN is a good family choice. Unblocks Hulu and generally good for browsing and torrenting. Allows up to 6 devices. Could do with more server locations and lacks 24/7 support. 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full PrivateVPN review.
Methodology: How we found the best VPNs for getting a Canadian IP address
While there are plenty of servers that allow you to get a Canadian IP address, not all are worthwhile. Aside from offering servers in Canada, a VPN should provide fast, unthrottled speeds for browsing, streaming, and torrenting. However, there are plenty more factors to consider including security. Below, we outline our methodology:
- Servers in Canada: You won’t be able to get a Canadian IP address without connecting to a server in Canada! As such, a VPN must offer this. In some cases, you’ll even find that servers are available in multiple Canadian cities. That way, you can travel abroad and be able to unblock your favorite websites and services.
- Speed: Unfortunately, some VPNs are far too slow for activities such as streaming and torrenting. We’ve looked for VPNs that not only provide fast server speeds but unlimited bandwidth so you can stream and torrent as much as you like. In fact, we’ve even assessed the fastest VPNs for ourselves.
- Network size: If you’re traveling abroad, chances are you’ll occasionally need to access online content from other countries such as the US. Any high-quality VPN will have servers in dozens of countries to make this possible. Some of the VPNs listed above have thousands of servers in up to 94 countries around the world.
- Security: Security starts with high-end encryption which makes it practically impossible for hackers to access your data. However, there also needs to be protection from leaks in the event that your VPN connection drops — particularly important if you’re connected to public wifi.
- Privacy: Aside from security, a VPN should offer strong privacy protection. This means that it shouldn’t keep any identifying logs of its users. Most VPNs we recommend even have a strict no-logs policy so you can browse with your identity intact. Our analysis of VPN logging policies reveals which VPNs you can trust.
- Ease of use: You may find some VPNs a little too complicated to interact with. That’s where the beginner-friendly apps of the best VPNs come in handy! Setup should only take a minute or two while you can connect to a server or adjust your settings in seconds. Live chat and email support should also be there if you need it.
- Value for money: Somewhat confusingly, some VPNs offer fewer features yet charge more money for a subscription! In our selection of the best VPNs for getting a Canadian IP address, we’ve looked for those that we feel provide the most for your money. Better still, you can save even more by making use of our VPN discounts.
The above is just a quick rundown of some of our VPN testing methodology. However, the full testing goes much further than this. It’s only with hands-on experience of a wide range of VPNs that we can be confident of finding the very best for your needs.
Can I have a Canadian IP address with a free VPN?
It is possible to get a Canadian IP address with a free VPN. However, we strongly advise against this for many reasons. For starters, free VPNs are notoriously slow due to the high demand and lack of servers. This means that streaming video and downloading files can be a stressful experience with constant buffering and lag.
Aside from the poor and unreliable performance, free VPNs are not as safe and lack security features. That’s because they are known to spam users with ads (they have to make money somehow) while some even track your activity and sell it to the highest bidder. A VPN is supposed to provide you with greater privacy, not compromise it.
Last but not least, many websites have started to take steps to block VPN servers. A good example of this is Netflix. Very few free VPNs are able to unblock the likes of Netflix as they simply don’t have the resources to get round the anti-VPN firewall. In contrast, the very best paid VPNs find ways to stay a step ahead, allowing you to unblock restricted Canadian content.
Overall, we believe that the best paid VPN services are well worth the investment while free VPNs are a waste of time and an unnecessary risk.
See also: Best VPNs for Canada
What can I do with a Canadian IP address?
Using a VPN to obtain a Canadian IP address provides many benefits such as:
- Stream geo-restricted TV shows and movies
- Unblock Canadian news sites
- Access financial services restricted to Canada
- Use untrustworthy public WiFi spots with confidence
- Hide your IP address, safeguarding your privacy and anonymity
Why would I need a VPN in Canada?
If you’re already in Canada, you may be wondering why you’d need a VPN when you can already access online content in Canada without restriction. A VPN can help you unblock content in almost any country such as ESPN in the US or even Netflix Japan. More importantly, a VPN protects your privacy and online security.
In 2015, Canada introduced the Anti-terrorism Act (Bill C-51) which forces Internet Service Providers (ISPs) to log the browsing history of every citizen. What’s more, Canada is a member of the Five Eyes group, so this data can be shared with intelligence agencies in the US, UK, Australia and New Zealand. By using one of the best paid VPNs, you can protect this personal information so that it remains private to you.
Free Canadian IP Address with VPN FAQ
Why should I connect to Canadian servers if I live there?
If you live in Canada, connecting to a Canadian server means you can continue to access all of your favorite local content. This might be a streaming service such as Netflix Canada or your online bank account. Indeed, by choosing a server that’s closer to your physical location, you’re more likely to enjoy improved browsing speeds. Furthermore, getting a different Canadian IP address means you’ll have the added benefit of being able to browse and stream anonymously.
Is using a Canadian IP address legal?
Can I get Canadian Netflix in America?
You can get Canadian Netflix in North America (or indeed anywhere else in the world) by connecting to a VPN server in Canada. In doing so, you’ll be assigned a new, temporary Canadian IP address. This makes it look as if you’re located in Canada, even if you’re abroad in the USA. Note that only the best VPNs are able to unblock Netflix due to the strict anti-VPN measures that have been implemented by the streaming service in recent years.
Is it a good idea to use a Canadian static IP address?
Whether you’re in Canada or traveling abroad, there may be instances in which you need a static IP address (also known as a dedicated IP address). Some of the advantages of using a static IP address include more consistent connections, reduced risk of being added to blacklists, and the ability to run servers. However, using a static IP address (as opposed to a dynamic IP address) comes with some security and privacy concerns.
Can I use a Canadian proxy instead of an IP from a VPN provider?
You can use a VPN or a Canadian proxy in order to hide your IP address and unblock geo-restricted content. However, it’s important to know how the two options differ. In particular, only a VPN secures all of your internet traffic with encryption. As such, it’s the better option if you’re looking for strong security and privacy protection. With a VPN that has servers in Canada, there’s simply no need to use a Canadian proxy.
Is changing my IP address legal?
Yes, changing your IP address is legal. In fact, using a VPN is legal in the vast majority of countries around the world. There are multiple valid reasons a person may want to change their IP address. Using a VPN makes this quick and easy to do.