Netflix might be available almost everywhere, but there are often significant differences between what people in neighboring countries can actually watch. This platform is subject to complex international licensing laws, and as such, region-locks its content to prevent you from streaming certain titles outside of permitted locations.
Unfortunately, this means that if you’re traveling outside of Canada, you might not be able to stay up-to-date with whatever shows you’ve been watching. However, as Netflix uses your IP address to determine your location, you can securely access Canadian Netflix simply by connecting to a VPN server back home in Canada. Better still, this will encrypt your traffic, preventing your Internet Service Provider (ISP), employer, or other snoopers from seeing what you do online.
How to securely access Canadian Netflix from anywhere in the world
Setting up a VPN is simple and should only take a few minutes. Follow these steps below to stream Netflix Canada anywhere.
Here’s how to get Canadian Netflix from anywhere:
- First, sign up for one of our recommended VPNs (NordVPN is a particularly strong choice).
- Download and install the VPN client. Usually, you’ll be allowed five connections at once, so you might as well install it on any device you use frequently.
- Log in and connect to one of your VPN’s Canadian servers. This will change your IP address to Canada and Netflix will update its library to match.
- Now, visit Netflix and see if the available content has changed. If not, clear your cookies and try these steps again or ask your VPN’s support team for more in-depth help.
WANT TO TRY THE TOP VPN RISK FREE?
NordVPN is offering a fully-featured risk-free 30-day trial if you sign up at this page. You can use the VPN rated #1 for Canadian Netflix with no restrictions for a month. This is ideal for anyone planning a trip abroad who still wants to stream their favorite shows.
There are no hidden terms—just contact support within 30 days if you decide NordVPN isn't right for you and you'll get a full refund. Start your NordVPN trial here.
New VPN users certainly have plenty of choice. The problem is that every service is different and not all of them work with Canadian Netflix. To make sure you get a reliable, versatile service that rises to any occasion, we decided to only recommend VPNs that fit all of the criteria below:
- Offers consistently high speeds and unlimited bandwidth
- Works well with Netflix and similar services
- Uses effectively uncrackable encryption as well as a host of security features
- Logs no personally identifiable data
- Provides apps for all major operating systems and devices
Read on for a quick look at the best VPNs for Netflix Canada. Alternatively, scroll down for a more detailed review of each.
Best VPNs for Canadian Netflix:
- NordVPN: Our top VPN for Netflix Canada. Provides plenty of powerful security and privacy tools, fantastic speeds, and a no-logs policy. Includes a risk-free 30-day money-back guarantee.
- Surfshark: The best low-cost option for streaming Canadian Netflix abroad. Boasts extremely fast connections, a strong security toolkit and no connection limit.
- ExpressVPN: A veteran provider boasting solid speeds and the ability to securely access all kinds of Canadian services. Strong focus on security and privacy.
- CyberGhost: An easy to use provider offering fast, streaming-optimized servers and pre-configured security tools, plus 24/7 support.
- IPVanish: A great everyday VPN no connection or bandwidth limits. Keeps no logs, works with Netflix Canada, and is more than fast enough for 4K streaming.
- PrivateVPN: With very high speeds, a zero-logs policy, and exceptional versatility, PrivateVPN is ideal for streaming Canadian Netflix abroad.
- Hotspot Shield: This no-logs VPN takes security very seriously while providing high speeds and the ability to watch Canadian Netflix from outside of Canada.
Best VPNs for streaming Canadian Netflix abroad
Below, you’ll find short reviews of the best VPNs for Canadian Netflix:
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
NordVPN is our first choice. It has more than 5,100 servers in 60 countries, and over 480 in Canada alone. Better still, it offers steady speeds, reliable connections, and unlimited bandwidth, making it a natural choice for streaming Netflix abroad. Six simultaneous connections are permitted per account, so users can watch anywhere, without having to leave their other devices unprotected.
When it comes to security, NordVPN is one of the best around. It keeps you safe with 256-bit encryption, an app-specific kill switch, and protection against WebRTC, DNS, and IPv6 leaks, as well as automatic ad-blocking and malware-scanning. NordVPN doesn’t store any logs at all. Further, it recently added its own NordLynx protocol, which boasts higher speeds and more easily-auditable code. On that note, NordVPN is regularly audited to ensure it keeps no logs. Live chat is available around the clock should you run into difficulties.
NordVPN provides apps for Windows, Linux, MacOS, iOS, and Android devices. It can also be manually configured for use with supported network routers.
- More than 400 high-speed servers in Canada
- Works with a wide range of streaming services
- Major emphasis on security and privacy
- Zero-logs policy
- Provides 24/7 support
- Desktop app takes two clicks to disconnect
BEST VPN FOR NETFLIX CANADA:NordVPN is our #1 pick. This no-logs service boasts plenty of powerful security and privacy protections plus impressive speeds. Also comes with a risk-free 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our comprehensive NordVPN review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
Surfshark is our top budget option. It’s a reliable VPN that took first place in our most recent speed tests. With a network of 3,200+ servers in 65 countries, you’ll be able to securely access all kinds of platforms, not just Canadian Netflix. This service differentiates itself from its rivals by allowing users to connect any number of devices. As such, it’s a high-value VPN that’s particularly well-suited to large families.
This VPN offers IPv6 and DNS leak protection and 256-bit encryption, as well as a kill switch to protect your traffic from snoopers. That’s not all, though: it also comes with a NoBorders mode that can help you get around country-wide internet restrictions. Surfshark is a zero-logs provider, so your privacy is all but guaranteed. Need help? This service operates a 24/7 live chat help desk.
Surfshark offers desktop (MacOS, Windows, Linux) and mobile (Android, iOS) apps. If you’d prefer, it can also be manually installed on select wireless routers. Thanks to this VPN’s full M1 chip support, Mac users should notice decreased battery usage and more stable performance overall.
- Exceptional speeds
- Ideal for Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon Prime Video
- Puts your security first
- Doesn’t keep any logs
- No connection limit
- Customer support could be better
BEST BUDGET VPN:Surfshark is our top choice for those on a budget. Boasts cutting-edge security features, allowing you to stream safely anywhere. It has no problems with Netflix Canada or similar services and comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Take a look at the complete Surfshark review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
ExpressVPN users have access to 3,000+ servers in 94 countries, which means you can use it to securely access not just Netflix Canada but plenty of other streaming services from around the world. Speeds are reliable and fast enough for you to watch without any noticeable buffering. Up to five simultaneous connections are permitted, so you can protect all of your favorite devices at once.
This service comes packed with security features like 256-bit AES encryption and protection against DNS and IPv6 leaks. You can also take advantage of a kill switch that immediately halts data transfer if you lose connection to the VPN. ExpressVPN clearly takes your privacy seriously; it accepts Bitcoin and doesn’t log any data that could be traced back to you. Customer support can be reached day or night over live chat.
ExpressVPN users can install Android, iOS, Windows, MacOS, or Linux apps. Additionally, you can use this service’s newly-improved router firmware for a more reliable experience than ever before.
- Solid speeds and unlimited bandwidth
- Works with over a dozen Netflix libraries
- Great range of security options
- Accepts Bitcoin payments
- Slightly higher cost than others
PRIVACY GUARANTEED:ExpressVPN is an excellent choice for watching Canadian Netflix abroad. It’s fast, security-conscious, and works with many of your favorite streaming services abroad. What’s more, it offers a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Find out more by reading the full ExpressVPN review.
Money-back guarantee: 45 DAYS
CyberGhost has more than 300 servers in Canada and a further 7,000 elsewhere in the world. Naturally, it’s a strong choice for anyone hoping to use their regular platforms as they travel, and there are even streaming-optimized servers to help faciliate this. Users can connect up to seven devices simultaneously and thanks to this VPN’s exceptional speeds, can browse or stream safely, wherever they are.
This service takes the stress out of digital security with pre-configured ad-blocking, malware-scanning, leak protection, and 256-bit encryption, plus an always-on kill switch. It recently released its own password manager and Windows security checkup tools too, so clearly it values your privacy. CyberGhost doesn’t log any identifiable data and offers around the clock support via live chat.
CyberGhost apps are available for iOS, Android, MacOS, Windows, and Linux. You can also manually install it on a wide range of supported routers.
- Very good speeds
- No issues with US Netflix, BBC iPlayer, and more
- Scores highly in terms of security and privacy
- Very easy to use
- Not suitable for those that need control of advanced features
STRESS-FREE STREAMING:CyberGhost is perfect for beginners since it makes using geo-blocked platforms like Netflix abroad extremely simple. Top-tier security, a huge network, and great streaming potential. Includes a 45-day money-back guarantee.
Read the full CyberGhost review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
IPVanish has over 50 servers to choose from in Canada, plus another 1,800 in 60+ other countries. Better still, recent infrastructure improvements mean that you should notice a real speed boost compared to any time you’ve used it previously. With no limit on the number of devices you can connect, this service ensures you never have to stream, browse, or torrent without protection. Further, it works with several regional libraries including Netflix Canada, US, UK, and Japan.
This service offers a surprising number of security features considering how lightweight its apps are. There’s 256-bit encryption, a kill switch, and DNS leak protection, as well as the option to block LAN traffic. WireGuard support will be added in the near future, too. Further, IPVanish follows a strict no-logging policy and can’t divulge details of your activities under any circumstances. If you’re having trouble, its support team can be reached 24/7 over live chat.
IPVanish apps are available for Android, Windows, iOS, and MacOS. You can also follow manual setup instructions to get it working with Linux systems or internet routers.
- Impressive 4K streaming speeds achieved during testing
- Has no connection or bandwidth limits
- Strong on privacy and security
- Strict no-logs policy
- Struggles with some streaming services
STREAM WITHOUT LIMITS:IPVanish offers high speeds and strong security, removing any barriers between you and Netflix Canada. Further, this VPN allows you to connect as many devices as you like. There’s also a 30-day money-back guarantee included.
Why not check out our in-depth review of IPVanish?
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
PrivateVPN doesn’t have the most servers, with roughly 200 in 60 countries, Canada included. However, it owns these outright, and as such, offers stronger privacy controls than many of its rivals. Further, what it lacks in network size, it makes up for in speed: this service is fast enough for flawless live streaming and can even handle 4K content with no lag or buffering. Better still, it works reliably with tricky platforms like Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, and BBC iPlayer.
It’s also strong on the security front. Your data is kept private using a combination of DNS and IPv6 leak protection, a customizable kill switch, 256-bit encryption, and automatic wifi protection. You can also enable the stealth mode to access services and networks that usually block VPN users by default. PrivateVPN does not keep any logs and recently became its own ISP, giving it full control over your data. This VPN’s support team is available at most times during the day via email or live chat.
PrivateVPN has apps for Windows, Android, MacOS, iOS, and Linux systems. Select routers are also supported via manual configuration.
- Among the fastest VPNs we’ve tested
- Can securely access a wide range of Netflix catalogs
- Clear commitment to security and privacy
- Doesn’t have 24/7 live chat
- Relatively small network
SECURITY-FIRST VPN:PrivateVPN is extremely fast, which makes it ideal for streaming. It also excels in the areas of security and privacy, giving you peace of mind. PrivateVPN includes a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Interested? Read our full PrivateVPN review for more details.
Money-back guarantee: 45 DAYS
Editor’s Note: Hotspot Shield is owned by Pango, Comparitech’s parent company.
Hotspot Shield has around 1,800 servers in over 80 countries, including Canada. It’s more than fast enough for Netflix, and works well with many other stubborn services like BBC iPlayer, TSN, and HBO Max. There are no bandwidth limits and users can secure up to five devices simultaneously, giving you the freedom to watch both at home and on-the-move.
Thanks to this VPN’s 256-bit encryption, kill switch, and DNS leak protection, your activities are hidden from snoopers at all times. If you’d like, you can even enable a feature that connects automatically whenever you use a public wifi network. Further, Hotspot Shield doesn’t store any personally identifiable data and offers its own privacy-focused Hydra protocol that’s designed for use in countries with strict online censorship (though the latest version of the app also supports IKEv2 connections). If you’re having problems, just contact customer support; staff are on-hand 24/7 over live chat.
Hotspot Shield provides apps for iOS, Android, MacOS, Linux, and Windows. Manual configuration is also an option for supported network routers.
- More than fast enough for Netflix
- Streaming-optimized servers
- Exceptional security and privacy features
- Past privacy issues
- No anonymous payment options
SPEEDY AND SECURE:Hotspot Shield provides consistent speeds and the ability to watch Canadian Netflix from outside Canada. It also offers a 45-day money-back guarantee, a no-logging policy, and a strong set of security tools.
Check out our full Hotspot Shield review.
Can I watch Netflix Canada with a free VPN?
It’s important to note that while you may be able to stream Canadian Netflix with a free VPN, we strongly advise against doing so. There are several reasons for this, not least that free services tend to struggle with major streaming platforms. With fewer servers yet more users than their paid rivals, free VPNs usually only offer very slow speeds, which makes for laggy, choppy video.
There are security concerns too. Hackers love to disguise malware as free VPN apps since they know there’s huge demand. In fact, a recent survey of over 200 such apps found that almost one-in-four contained a virus. Equally troubling, nearly 20 percent of the seemingly safe apps failed to encrypt user data, meaning they were effectively useless from a privacy standpoint. For the best protection, we recommend using a reputable no-logs VPN instead of a free service.
Methodology: How we found the best VPNs for Netflix Canada
We recently analyzed how well major VPNs work with Netflix and concluded that the vast majority don’t work with Netflix Canada. Of course, it’s not enough for us to find the ones that do; we also have to ensure they’re fast and secure enough to handle everything else you might ask of them. That’s why we identified key requirements in a few specific areas and used these to eliminate potential recommendations until only the very best remained:
- Netflix potential: Naturally, our top VPNs had to work with Netflix CA. However, we also checked to see if they granted access on both mobile and desktop devices. Additionally, we looked for VPNs that were able to securely access lots of other regional libraries.
- Other streaming capabilities: Most people are subscribed to several streaming services. That’s why we tested our recommendations with lots of Canadian channels including Crave, TSN, and Global TV.
- Server availability: To put it lightly, Canada is a big place. If your VPN has minimal presence in Canada, you could be forced to rely on servers hundreds of miles away, which can have a real impact on your speeds. That’s why, we prioritized VPNs with lots of servers to choose from, ideally spread across several Canadian cities.
- Performance: Netflix’s own guidelines recommend at least 25 Mb/s for 4K streaming, so it’s clear that speed is a vital component. We keep a close eye on the top providers’ speeds with periodic speed testing and only recommend those that perform well.
- Security and privacy: To make our list, VPNs have to offer 256-bit encryption, a kill switch, DNS and IPv6 leak protection, and a no-logs policy. This is just a baseline, though, and we welcome any more advanced security features a provider might offer.
- Usability: We don’t think anyone should have to compromise on digital privacy. As such, we only recommend services that are beginner-friendly, with apps for a wide range of devices, and live chat-based customer support.
Interested in learning more about how we put VPNs through their paces? We’ve created a detailed guide that explains our full VPN testing process.
Canadian Netflix: Frequently Asked Questions
What can I watch on Canadian Netflix?
Canadian Netflix subscribers have access to a huge selection of titles and a surprisingly large selection of content that’s not available in any other regional Netflix libraries. Here are a few of the TV shows and movies that are exclusive to Netflix Canada:
- Hunter Hunter
- Where'd You Go, Bernadette?
- The Hardy Boys
- A Sense of Humor
- Shadow in the Cloud
- Wrath of Man
Will Netflix ban me for using a VPN?
Technically, Netflix has the right to ban you for any reason. However, there haven’t been reports of Netflix banning people for using a VPN. It’s also worth noting it’s not illegal to use a VPN in most countries. The worst that’s likely to happen is you’ll be asked to disconnect the VPN before streaming.
Does Netflix offer a free trial in Canada?
Unfortunately, Netflix has phased out its free trials and no longer offers them anywhere. Still, with plans starting at $9.99 CAD per month, it’s far from the most expensive streaming service on the market.