Netflix is available in most countries, but the content library you can view varies widely depending on where you’re located. Americans visiting Australia will find that they cannot access their American library and are, therefore, unable to watch certain shows and movies that are available to watch on American Netflix. This can be frustrating for viewers traveling abroad. But luckily, it’s relatively simple to get American Netflix in Australia or anywhere else, you just need a VPN.
A Virtual Private Network (VPN) encrypts all of a device’s internet traffic and routes it through a middleman server in a location of your choosing. By connecting to a VPN server in the US, you gain a US IP address, and Netflix will think that’s where you are. This allows American travelers to regain access to their usual content library during a visit to Australia.
Unfortunately, not all VPNs will work, as Netflix is notorious for blocking most connections from VPN servers. However, we’ve put together a list of VPNs that still work to access Netflix USA from anywhere. We go into more detail on each of them below, but if you are short of time, here is a quick summary.
The best VPNs to watch US Netflix in Australia:
- NordVPN Our #1 pick for watching US Netflix in Oz! It boasts blazing-fast speeds, a fantastic security offering, strong everyday usage potential, and even a 30-day money-back guarantee.
- Surfshark A reliable and versatile budget option. Solid speeds, a strong privacy focus, and the ability to stream American Netflix anywhere. No connection limit.
- ExpressVPN Works well with US Netflix and most other streaming services in Australia. Fast speeds and a solid set of security and privacy features.
- CyberGhost Beginner-friendly VPN with easy-to-use apps. We were impressed by the vast server network and streaming speeds during testing.
- IPVanish Favored by Kodi users for its remote-control friendly apps. Allows any number of devices to be connected.
- PrivateVPN Newish network, one to watch, provides secure access to most streaming sites. Still growing its server list. Accesses American Netflix from anywhere.
- Atlas VPN Works with Netflix US, Prime Video, Stan, and more from Australia. Unlimited simultaneous connections per account and MultiHop servers.
WANT TO TRY THE TOP VPN RISK FREE?
NordVPN is offering a fully-featured risk-free 30-day trial if you sign up at this page. You can use the VPN rated #1 for Netflix USA with no limits or restrictions for a month—great if you're going abroad for a while but don't want to miss the latest episode of your favorite show.
There are no hidden terms—just contact support within 30 days if you decide NordVPN isn't right for you and you'll get a full refund. Start your NordVPN trial here.
How to watch American Netflix in Australia
If you’re in Australia and want to regain access to the TV shows and Movies available on US Netflix, you need a VPN. Using a VPN to gain an American IP address is the easiest solution to accessing American Netflix in Australia, and it’s not hard to do. Just follow the simple steps below, and you’ll be streaming your favorite content in no time.
Here’s how to watch American Netflix from anywhere:
- Sign up for a suitable VPN. We recommend NordVPN.
- Download and install the VPN app, making sure to choose the right version for your device.
- Connect to a VPN server in the US to gain the US IP address necessary to access American Netflix.
- Start watching US Netflix. Thats it! You should now be able to stream your home content library without issue.
- If it’s not working, try clearing your browser’s cookies before reloading the page and trying again.
- If you are still struggling, contact your VPN’s customer support team. Not all the US servers from a particular provider will work with American Netflix, but they should be able to point you in the direction of one that does.
The best VPNs for Netflix USA: at a glance
We’ve compared the most important features of the top VPNs here. Prefer to read the in-depth reviews? Start with NordVPN – our #1 choice for American Netflix.
|Website||NordVPN.com||Surfshark.com||ExpressVPN.com||Cyberghost.com||IPVanish.com||PrivateVPN.com||Ranking for American Netflix||1||2||3||4||5||6||Avg Speed (Mbps)||100+ Mbps||100+ Mbps||100+ Mbps||100+ Mbps||100+ Mbps||39 Mbps||Total number of servers||5,700+||3,200||Undisclosed||9,300||2,200+||200+||Other services||Hulu, HBO, Amazon Prime, Disney+, ITV Hub, BBC iPlayer, and more||Hulu, Amazon Prime, Disney+ and others||HBO, BBC iPlayer, ITV Hub, and others||Hulu, Disney+, ITV Hub, and others||HBO Max, ITV Hub, BBC iPlayer, and others||HBO Max, ITV Hub, BBC iPlayer, and others||Devices Supported||Windows, MacOS, iOS, Android, Linux||Windows, MacOS, iOS, Android, Linux, Amazon Fire TV||Windows, MacOS, iOS, Android, Linux, Smart TVs, Routers||Windows, MacOS, Linux (command line), iOS, Android, Smart TVs Routers||Windows, MacOS, iOS, Android||Windows, MacOS, iOS, Android, Amazon Fire TV|
|Best deal (per month)||$3.19|
SAVE 61% + 3 month FREE
Get 2 Months FREE with a 2-year plan
SAVE: 49% on the annual plan
SAVE 82% on the 2 year plan + 2 months FREE
SAVE 72% on the 2 year plan
SAVE 85% on the three year plan
The Best VPNs for watching US Netflix in Australia
Many VPNs simply won’t work with Netflix. In this case, you’ll see a proxy error that says: “Whoops, something went wrong. Streaming error. You seem to be using an unblocker or proxy. Please turn off any of these services and try again.”
To save you from wasting time and money figuring out which ones work, we’ve put together this list of VPNs that still work reliably with Netflix. Our selections are based on the following criteria:
- Helps you securely access Netflix from anywhere
- Plenty of US servers to access American Netflix
- Offers fast, reliable connections
- Employs strong encryption
- Doesn’t log user information
- Provides reliable customer support
This is just an overview, but if you can find out more about how we test and rank the VPNs, we recommend in the methodology section below. For now, let’s take a closer look at the ones that made the grade.
Here are the best VPNs for watching US Netflix in Australia:
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
NordVPN is our top choice VPN for accessing American Netflix from Australia or anywhere. Operates more than 5,500 servers worldwide, including almost 2,000 servers in the US, so it’s sure to have one that lets you securely stream Netflix USA in Australia. It’s one of the fastest VPN providers we’ve tested, too, so you won’t have to worry about lag or buffering interrupting your streaming. As well as Netflix, this service works with Hulu, Amazon Prime Video, and BBC iPlayer, among other platforms.
This is a true no-logs provider that ensures you have a secure connection at all times. It utilizes military-grade encryption with perfect forward secrecy. A kill switch and leak protection keep your data safe inside the encrypted tunnel. NordVPN is known for its extra security features, including automatic wifi protection and the option to direct your traffic through two VPN servers (double VPN).
Apps are available for Windows, MacOS, iOS, Android, and Linux. You may connect up to six devices simultaneously.
- Accesses Netflix US with no issues
- Almost 2,000 US servers to choose from
- One of the fastest VPNs we’ve tested
- Top-notch security and online privacy protection
- Offers 24/7 live chat
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- Desktop apps can take slightly longer to connect
BEST VPN FOR US NETFLIX:NordVPN is our first choice for streaming American Netflix. It offers almost 2,000 servers in the US, strong privacy and security features, and a risk-free 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full NordVPN review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
Surfshark makes it easy to securely access the Netflix US content library from anywhere, even Australia. In fact, most of its non-US servers automatically redirect you to the American version of the site. This means that travelers in Australia can get a lower-latency fast internet connection than if they had to use a server in the US.
This VPN service clearly puts a major emphasis on security. It keeps your data private at all times using a kill switch, protection against DNS, IPV6, and WebRTC leaks, and 256-bit strong encryption, but there’s also a built-in malware scanner and ad-blocker. Surfshark has a strict no-logs policy, so once connected, you’ll be almost entirely anonymous.
Apps are available for Windows, Linux, MacOS, iOS, and Android. Surfshark allows an unlimited number of simultaneous connections.
- Almost every server works with Netflix US
- Connect any number of devices
- Pay anonymously with Bitcoin, Ethereum, or Ripple
- Fast enough for HD streaming
- Takes your privacy and security seriously
- Advanced privacy tools require Surfshark One, which costs extra
BEST BUDGET PICK:Use any Surfshark server to securely stream American Netflix from anywhere. This inexpensive yet security-conscious provider offers unlimited simultaneous connections and a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full Surfshark review
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
ExpressVPN operates several servers in the US that work with Netflix USA. Just ask the live chat support which server to use, and you’ll be up and running within minutes. ExpressVPN ensures you’ll have the necessary bandwidth to stream video in high quality with minimal buffering. In total, it operates more than 3,000 servers in 94 countries.
Besides Netflix, ExpressVPN can securely access Hulu, HBO, and Amazon Prime Video, and if your chosen platform doesn’t work right away, you can contact a live chat support representative at any time of day to be directed to a working server.
In addition to incredible performance, you can expect tight security and privacy from this VPN. Desktop apps come with a built-in kill switch, and all apps have leak protection, so your data is always safe. 256-bit encryption with perfect forward secrecy comes as standard. Privacy is a priority for ExpressVPN; you can pay with Bitcoin, and your personal information is never logged.
Apps are available for Windows, MacOS, iOS, Android, Amazon Fire TV, Linux, and certain wifi routers. You may connect up to eight devices at the same time.
- Operates super-fast server networks in many US locations
- Works with most major streaming services
- Great encryption, security, and online privacy features are the default
- Zero logs policy
- 24/7 live chat customer support
- Not the cheapest option here without a coupon
- Less suitable for users who need control over advanced features
STREAM US NETFLIX:ExpressVPN is great for streaming. It prioritizes your privacy, offers fast, secure connections, and best of all, it comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full ExpressVPN review.
Money-back guarantee: 45 DAYS
CyberGhost makes it easier than ever to stream US Netflix from Australia. Instead of choosing a server location and hoping for the best, you can just select Netflix from a list of supported streaming channels and let CyberGhost do the work for you. Other options include Amazon Prime Video and BBC iPlayer.
CyberGhost scored a perfect score in our annual privacy and security assessment, so you can feel safe knowing your data won’t be visible to anyone but you. Online speeds are great, and there’s plenty of bandwidth to keep you binging high-quality video late into the night.
Apps are available for Windows, MacOS, Linux, iOS, and Android. You can connect up to seven devices at the same time.
- Works with Netflix US from any country, including Australia
- Testing revealed impressive speeds for streaming services
- Apps are beginner-friendly and easy to setup
- Romanian-based low-cost provider with strong privacy credentials
- 45-day money-back guarantee
- May not be customizable enough for experienced users
- Doesn’t work in countries like the UAE
GREAT FOR BEGINNERS:CyberGhost is easy to use. Great privacy with zero logs and DNS leak protection. Works with many popular US streaming platforms including Netflix USA. Comes witha generous 45-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full CyberGhost review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
IPVanish is one of the fastest VPNs we’ve tested, and it can help you securely access US Netflix from anywhere. Better still, it boasts solid speeds and lets users connect all of their devices at once. If you want the highest quality video possible, this is the VPN for you.
Security is a priority, and IPVanish uses 256-bit encryption with perfect forward secrecy. There’s also protection against leaks, and desktop apps have a kill switch. No logs are maintained whatsoever.
Any number of simultaneous connections are permitted, and there are apps for Windows, MacOS, iOS, and Android. Manual configuration for routers and Linux systems is possible too.
- Very fast online speeds
- Completely log-less service won’t compromise your privacy
- Best performer for Android-based Kodi devices in our testing
- Unlimited device connections
- Customer support is a little slow
- Has difficulty with some larger streaming services
SECURE EVERY DEVICE:IPVanish is great for families and multiple connections. Works with US Netflix, but you may need to chat with support to direct you to the best server. 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full IPVanish review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
PrivateVPN has a smaller network than some of its rivals but doesn’t let that dissuade you. It works with a huge range of services, including US Netflix, BBC iPlayer, and Hulu. PrivateVPN also performed well in our speed tests, so you can stream high-quality video with no buffering (though your base speeds have a part to play here).
PrivateVPN meets all of our privacy and security standards. Servers that work with Netflix US are clearly labeled in the app, so you won’t need to ask customer service which one to use. Live support is available should you encounter any issues, though.
Apps are available for Windows, MacOS, iOS, and Android. You may connect up to 10 devices simultaneously.
- Servers in several US cities achieve good streaming speeds
- Owns all of its servers outright
- Keeps no logs
- Fewer servers to choose from than other providers higher on this list
- Live chat goes offline for two hours per day
GREAT SPEEDS:PrivateVPN is a good family choice. No problems with US Netflix, and allows up to 10 devices on the same account. 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full PrivateVPN review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
Atlas VPN is highly suitable for watching Netflix US in Australia. It has servers in the US cities of Los Angeles and New York. What’s more, these servers are optimized for streaming. Atlas VPN makes our list of the fastest VPNs on the market, so when you do start streaming American Netflix, you’ll be able to do so in 1080p HD and even 4K resolution without lag. It also works well with the likes of Disney+ and Stan.
This VPN is also particularly generous when it comes to the number of security features it provides. Of course, you’ll find essentials such as 256-bit AES encryption, DNS leak protection, and a kill switch. However, you can benefit from several layers of encryption by connecting to a MultiHop server. You’ll even find a malware blocker. Last but not least, this no-logs service has an unlimited simultaneous connection allowance.
In order to use Atlas VPN, you’ll need to download an app for Windows, Mac, Linux, Android, iOS, Amazon Fire TV, or Android TV. Unfortunately, it doesn’t provide browser extensions or router support.
- Servers in Los Angeles and New York for watching Netflix US
- Connect an unlimited number of devices simultaneously
- Extra security features, including MultiHop servers
- Smaller server network
- Doesn’t provide support for routers
STRESS-FREE STREAMING:Atlas VPN has servers in Los Angeles and New York and provides very fast speeds for streaming American Netflix without lag. Unlimited simultaneous connections as well as MultiHop servers. 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full Atlas VPN review.
Finding the best VPNs to watch US Netflix – our methodology
With so many VPN providers on the market, finding the right one for the job can be a time-consuming process. To fix this problem, we test the world’s leading VPN brands for you. We use a scientific VPN testing method to check that each service not only works with Netflix US in Australia but also offers watertight privacy and data security.
Below, we have included a list of the important features we looked for when recommending VPNs for Netflix.
- Fast US servers: To stream American Netflix in glorious HD, you are going to require a VPN that has plenty of throughput and unlimited bandwidth. However, in addition to being fast, it must have servers in America that have not been blocked by Netflix. Our recommendations have been thoroughly speed tested, and all offer what you need to enjoy Netflix US in Australia.
- Apps for all platforms: The best VPNs offer apps for a multitude of platforms that let you stream Netflix on any device you own. Our recommendations have custom apps for Windows, macOS, iOS, Android, and even Linux. Plus, some have browser extensions, router compatibility, and apps for Firestick devices.
- Robust security features: All our recommendations were checked to ensure they don’t have any IP or DNS leaks. This guarantees they provide the privacy you expect from them. We also checked the encryption to be sure that your data is always tunneled in a completely secure manner.
- Advanced features: We looked for VPNs that offer not just the basics but also plenty of advanced privacy and security features. We looked for things like a kill-switch, obfuscation, DNS leak protection, malware filtering, ad blocking, split tunneling, auto-connect, and Smart DNS to let you stream on non-VPN compatible devices such as consoles.
- Excellent customer care: We tested each VPN’s support department in search of VPNs that respond quickly and effectively. All our recommendations have email and live chat support that is available around the clock.
- Unrestrained accessibility: In addition to working with Netflix US, our recommendations have servers in Australia and elsewhere around the globe. This means you can also use the VPN to access Australian TV services abroad – or torrent sites that have been blocked within Australia. With servers located globally, the sky really is the limit.
If you’d like to know more, you can read more about the testing process in our dedicated methodology article.
Watching American Netflix in Australia with a free VPN
Your chances of watching US Netflix in Australia with a free VPN are very low. Most free VPNs just don’t work with Netflix at all due to the streaming platform’s stringent anti-VPN protocols. You might get lucky and find one that does, but since Netflix routinely blocks VPN servers, even if you find one, it won’t last long. Paid providers, on the other hand, have the resources to stay one step ahead.
Plus, free VPNs are heavily limited. Due to server congestion or bandwidth restrictions, they’re too slow to stream high-quality video. You may encounter data caps or waiting queues, which can seriously disrupt your streams and lead to a frustrating experience.
Finally, free VPNs can end up harming your privacy rather than helping it. To make money, many of them track your online activity and sell your personal data to third-party advertisers. Some VPN apps even carry malware payloads or are used for botnet scams, so steer clear
Watching Netflix US in Australia: FAQs
Is streaming American Netflix from overseas legal?
Anybody traveling abroad who wants to regain access to their usual Netflix content library in America can do so completely legally with a VPN. As a paying subscriber, you are entitled to watch your account, and a VPN is a legal tool that helps you do so while you are on vacation. This is why Netflix does not actively attempt to single out subscribers who use a VPN.
That said, Netflix states in its terms of service that accessing a foreign catalog is against the rules of its policy. This is why the streaming giant uses technologies to discover and block VPN IP addresses associated with VPNs. It does this to comply with the agreements it has entered into with copyright holders.
Although nobody we know of has been prosecuted for watching Netflix from abroad, we recommend that you check Netflix’s policies to understand the rules yourself. Nothing in this article constitutes legal advice, and it is important that you do your own research before deciding to use a VPN to bypass geo-blocks.
Why does Netflix block regions?
Netflix is bound by licensing agreements that it signs with copyright holders. Those agreements often state in what countries Netflix is allowed to stream TV shows and movies. For example, Netflix might have the right to stream a show in the USA but not in Australia. These agreements are regularly renewed and renegotiated. Netflix has expanded its international catalog considerably, and its original content is widely available, but much of its content still remains behind region locks.
How Does Netflix Block Content?
Netflix geo-blocks content by looking at the IP address of the device you are using to watch it. If your IP address indicates that you are accessing Netflix from a country other than the one you signed up for, then you will be shown a message telling you that the show or movie is not available in your location.
The content is blocked in order to comply with licensing agreements that stipulate which countries particular films and television shows can be aired in. For example, a movie that is licensed to be shown on Netflix in the United States might not be licensed for airing in Australia.
This is why using a VPN to change your IP address is the best way of bypassing Netflix’s geo-blocks.
Can I watch American Netflix without a VPN in Australia?
Even if you originally signed up for Netflix in the US, it’s not possible to watch American Netflix from Australia without some sort of proxy, such as a VPN. Basic web proxies and DNS proxies have previously worked with Netflix, but these offer less in the way of privacy protection, and we’ve found such solutions to be short-lived.
Can I switch back to Netflix Australia at any time?
Yes! Just disconnect from the VPN and refresh or restart Netflix. Netflix will automatically update your location and provide you with the appropriate library. You might need to clear your cookies or web cache if you encounter any issues or don’t see Netflix Australia immediately.
Is the ad-supported Netflix plan available where I am?
Netflix has been trying to bring in more subscribers with the launch of its new ad-supported plan (officially called “Basic with Ads”). Currently, this plan is available in:
- The US
- The UK
- South Korea
In other words, if you’re traveling abroad, there’s a solid chance you’ll still be able to watch Netflix, even if you chose the most affordable plan.
Will Netflix know that I am using a VPN?
Over the years, Netflix has put a lot of time and money into detecting VPNs. They’ve gotten very skilled at identifying the subtle signs of VPN usage, and only a few VPN providers have managed to stay ahead of them by constantly improving and innovating.
Providers that don’t have the resources or time to keep finding new workarounds are inevitably detected and blocked. This is why you can’t sign up for any old VPN or free VPN and expect it to work. If you do, you’ll probably come across the dreaded Netflix error message:
“Whoops, something went wrong. Streaming error. You seem to be using an unblocker or proxy. Please turn off any of these services and try again.”
If this happens, you need to disconnect, try a different server, contact your VPN customer service team for help, or sign up for a different VPN with a proven ability to access Netflix.