Disney Plus launched Nov. 12 in the US, Canada and the Netherlands. It’ll launch a week later, on Nov. 19, in Australia and New Zealand.
Disney+ might not have fully launched yet, but it’s been running a free trial period exclusively for users who are in the Netherlands. As such, we can confirm that Disney+ is geo-restricted, and if you’re outside of a supported region, you won’t be able to watch. Additionally, as this service is going to be available in several countries, it’s likely that the available content will change based on where you are in the world, similar to Netflix or Amazon Prime Video. This means that if you go abroad on vacation, you won’t be able to watch your favorite shows.
However, you can easily bypass region-locking and access Disney+ from the UK, Germany or anywhere by connecting to a VPN. These services work by routing your traffic through servers in another country, which changes your IP address and tricks streaming platforms into allowing you access. Better still, as VPNs encrypt your traffic, your employer, Internet Service Provider (ISP), or government won’t be able to see what you get up to online.
In a hurry? Take a look below for an at-a-glance guide to the best VPNs for unblocking Disney+ abroad:
Best VPNs for Disney+
- ExpressVPN: Our #1 choice for using Disney+ abroad. Provides high speeds, reliable connections, and strong security credentials.
- CyberGhost: The best low-cost VPN for Disney+, CyberGhost is fast enough for HD streaming and comes with plenty of pre-configured security features.
- NordVPN: Offers fast connections, advanced security features, and the ability to unblock almost anything.
- IPVanish: With consistently high speeds, a strict no-logs policy, and powerful security features, IPVanish is ideal for watching Disney+ abroad.
- PrivateVPN: A high-speed, no-logs service capable of unblocking major platforms like Disney+ from anywhere in the world.
- Surfshark: Boasting high speeds, a strong focus on security, and no connection limit, Surfshark makes it easy to stream Disney+ wherever you are.
How to unblock Disney+ abroad using a VPN
There’s no need to panic; accessing region-locked services like Disney+ is simple with the right VPN. Just follow the steps below to watch Disney+ from anywhere in the world.
Here’s how to watch Disney Plus abroad with a VPN:
- First, sign up for one of the VPNs below (we particularly recommend ExpressVPN).
- Install the appropriate app for your device and log in.
- Connect to a server in a supported country (Disney+ will launch first in the US, Canada, and the Netherlands).
- Visit the Disney+ website and sign up. Note that you’ll need a payment method that’s linked to an American, Canadian, or Dutch address.
- Finally, try playing a video on Disney+. It should start immediately, but if not, you can fix most issues by clearing your browser’s cookies then refreshing the page.
Every VPN is different. For instance, some prioritize speed above all else, while others pride themselves on unblocking as many services as possible. To find the best VPNs for Disney+, we looked for services that had all of the characteristics below:
- Capable of unblocking Disney+ and similar services from abroad
- Offers reliable, high-speed connections
- Uses strong security features including effectively-uncrackable encryption
- Doesn’t log any personally identifiable information
- Provides apps for all major operating systems
Best VPNs for Disney+
Below, we’ll cover the best VPNs for streaming Disney+ in more detail:
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
ExpressVPN operates over 3,000 servers in 94 countries including the US, the Netherlands, and Canada, making it an excellent way to stream Disney+ abroad. Better still, with high speeds and unlimited bandwidth, you’re free to watch in the highest possible quality. ExpressVPN allows up to five simultaneous connections, so you can protect all of your most commonly-used devices with a single account.
This VPN keeps your activities private at all times using 256-bit encryption, protection against DNS, IPv6, and WebRTC leaks, and a kill switch (which stops all traffic whenever you lose the VPN connection suddenly). Although you can sign up almost completely anonymously by paying in Bitcoin, this is entirely optional since ExpressVPN doesn’t log any data that could identify you. If you’re having trouble, you can contact customer support over live chat, 24/7.
ExpressVPN has apps for MacOS, Windows, Linux, Android, and iOS devices. It also offers custom router firmware to make protecting all of your devices as easy as possible.
- Leads the pack with high-speed and stable connections
- Industry-leading security features
- Complete privacy – no logs of personal data kept
- Unblocks Disney+ and numerous other services
- Advanced configuration for power-users is a little limited
BEST VPN FOR DISNEY+:ExpressVPN is our top choice for watching Disney+ abroad. It’s fast and security-conscious, and doesn’t log any of your activities. It even comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee, allowing you to try the service completely risk-free.
Take a look at our comprehensive ExpressVPN review.
Money-back guarantee: 45 DAYS
CyberGhost currently boasts around 5,900 servers in almost 90 countries. With consistently high speeds and unlimited bandwidth, you won’t have to worry about being interrupted by lag or buffering. Further, this service unblocks a wide range of services, allowing you to stream Disney+, Netflix, and similar services from abroad. CyberGhost allows up to seven simultaneous connections, which is one more than the industry average.
All of this service’s security features are enabled by default so there’s minimal configuration required. These include 256-bit encryption, automatic ad-blocking and malware-scanning, a kill switch, and protection against DNS, WebRTC, and IPv6 leaks. CyberGhost doesn’t log any personally identifiable information, but if you’re worried about your privacy, there’s always the option to sign up with Bitcoin and a disposable email address. If you run into any problems, you can reach customer support 24/7 via live chat.
CyberGhost offers apps for Android, iOS, MacOS, and Windows. It works with Linux systems and wireless routers via manual installation.
- Unblocks Disney+ and similar platforms with ease
- Budget provider that doesn’t compromise on security and privacy
- Thousands of fast servers around the world
- Less suitable for power users
BEST BUDGET OPTION:CyberGhost is perfect for those new to VPNs as it offers comprehensive security features, high speeds, and excellent unblocking ability. Best of all, it includes a 45-day money-back guarantee.
Check out our complete CyberGhost review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
NordVPN has around 5,100 servers spread across 60 countries. This service is a natural choice for streaming thanks to its high speeds and above-average unblocking ability. In fact, it’ll let you access not just Disney+ but also major platforms like Netflix US, Hulu, and BBC iPlayer. What’s more, it lets you have up to six connections at once so you can watch on whichever device you prefer.
This VPN clearly takes your security very seriously. It uses 256-bit encryption, a customizable kill switch, and protection against WebRTC, IPv6, and DNS leaks to ensure your activities are safe from prying eyes. There’s also a built-in ad-blocker and malware-scanner, as well as specially-optimized servers for those looking for additional security. NordVPN has a strict no-logs policy which means your activities cannot be traced back to you. Support is available over 24/7 live chat.
NordVPN apps are available for Linux, Windows, MacOS, iOS, and Android. This service must be manually configured for use with home routers.
- Operates a network of more than 5,000 servers in 60 countries
- Allows for customized security setup
- No-logs policy
- Unblocks most popular geo-locked streaming services
- Desktop app can be awkward to use, needs updating
GOOD ALL-ROUNDER:NordVPN is a high-performance VPN, that can unblock numerous streaming platforms including Disney+. With a wide array of security features, a zero-logs policy, and a 30-day money-back guarantee, it’s well worth your time.
Read the full NordVPN review.
Money-back guarantee: 7 DAYS
IPVanish is a lightweight yet versatile VPN with around 1,300 servers across 60+ countries. This service is very fast and doesn’t limit your bandwidth, making it ideal for watching Disney+ abroad. That’s not all, though: you’ll also be able to unblock platforms like ITV Hub, Netflix US, and Sling TV from anywhere. IPVanish has a particularly generous ten-connection limit, allowing you to secure most (if not all) of your devices at once.
This service offers several powerful security features including 256-bit encryption, a kill switch, DNS and IPV6 leak protection, LAN traffic blocking, and the ability to scramble your OpenVPN traffic. This is an especially helpful feature as it reshapes your traffic, allowing you to access sites and services that usually block VPN connections. IPVanish doesn’t keep any logs at all which means that once connected, you’re effectively untraceable. Need help? Customer support is on-hand 24/7 over live chat.
IPVanish provides Android, Windows, iOS, and MacOS apps. It can be manually configured for use with Linux systems and select network routers.
- Keeps zero logs of user activity and metadata
- Fast enough for flawless HD streaming
- Strong security features including traffic scrambling
- Doesn’t accept Bitcoin
FAST AND SECURE:IPVanish is a fast, lightweight VPN with a strong focus on your privacy and security. It keeps no logs, offers decent unblocking ability, and includes a seven-day money-back guarantee.
For more information, check out our full IPVanish review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
PrivateVPN has a smaller network than some of the VPNs above (roughly 150 servers in 60 countries) but it helps make up for it with extremely high speeds. Combined with PrivateVPN’s exceptional unblocking ability, this makes it perfect for anyone looking to use region-locked services like Disney+ or Netflix abroad. Up to six simultaneous connections are permitted, allowing you to stream safely wherever you are.
This VPN puts a major emphasis on security. For starters, it includes 256-bit encryption, a kill switch (Windows only), and protection against DNS, IPv6, and WebRTC leaks. There’s also a split-tunneling feature (which lets certain apps bypass the VPN) and a stealth mode that lets you hide the fact that you’re using a VPN at all. PrivateVPN does not keep any logs whatsoever, but you can pay anonymously with Bitcoin if you’d like. Live, chat-based support is available 22 hours per day, and remote assistance is available should you require it.
PrivateVPN has apps for Windows, Android, MacOS, and iOS. With a little manual configuration, this service can also be used on Linux systems and internet routers.
- Keeps no logs whatsoever
- Faster than many other providers
- Strong security and privacy protection features
- Doesn’t have 24/7 live chat
- Small number of servers, newish provider still expanding their network
VERY HIGH SPEEDS:PrivateVPN is fast enough to stream Disney+ without any interruptions. It boasts a zero-logs policy, powerful security features, and a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our in-depth review of PrivateVPN.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
Surfshark has more than 1,000 servers in 61 countries. This VPN unblocks platforms like Netflix US, BBC iPlayer, and Disney+, so smaller streaming services won’t pose much of a problem. What’s more, with decent speeds, no connection limit, and unlimited bandwidth, you can watch on any device you own, completely free from lag and excessive buffering.
This service keeps you safe using 256-bit encryption, a kill switch (in every version), and protection against IPv6, DNS, and WebRTC leaks. However, it also offers an ad-blocker, a malware-scanner, split-tunneling functionality, and a NoBorders mode for use in countries with strict online censorship. Surfshark doesn’t log any data that could identify you although you can pay in Bitcoin, Ethereum, or Ripple for added anonymity. Customer support is available 24/7 in case you have any problems.
Surfshark provides Linux, MacOS, iOS, Windows, and Android apps. If you’d like to use it on your wireless router, you’ll have to install it manually.
- No limit on the number of devices connected
- Keeps no logs whatsoever
- Takes privacy and security very seriously
- A relatively small server network
- Some slow speeds
WATCH ON ANY DEVICE:Surfshark offers high speeds and a strong focus on your security and privacy. It also lets you connect as many devices as you like, so you can stream Disney+ anywhere. This service includes a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Take a look at our comprehensive Surfshark review.
Can I unblock Disney+ with a free VPN?
You might be tempted to use a free VPN to access Disney+ abroad but we’d advise against it. Not only are these services among the first to be blacklisted, they often have more users than their servers can support. This leads to very slow speeds, which will manifest as stuttering, laggy video. You may even be forced to watch at extremely low resolutions if you’re able to stream at all.
You should also be aware of the security risks that free VPNs pose. Recent studies have shown that a high percentage of free VPNs contain malware and perhaps more troubling, many don’t even bother encrypting the user’s traffic. Even if they do, there’s no guarantee that your free VPN provider isn’t selling details of your activities to advertisers. Using a reputable, privacy-first VPN is the best way to stay safe when streaming.
How to get Disney+ without a foreign payment method
While you can unblock the Disney+ website abroad using a VPN, you won’t actually be able to watch anything until you sign up. This requires you to have a payment method that’s linked to an address in a country where Disney+ has already launched. However, some Disney fans have found ways of accessing Disney+ in places like the UK, where it is supposed to be unavailable.
Here are a couple of the methods we’ve seen people use to unblock Disney+ abroad:
Method 1: Unblock Disney+ with an Apple ID
Note that this method only works if you have an iPad, iPhone, or Apple TV. You can change your iTunes region on other devices but will not be able to download apps this way.
- Start by opening the App Store.
- Next, log out of your account and scroll down to the bottom of the page.
- Click on the flag icon and select United States
- Create a new Apple ID but don’t bother adding a payment method.
- Purchase a digital iTunes gift card. Note that it has to be loaded with US dollars, or else this won’t work. You can buy American iTunes gift card codes directly on Amazon.com. Note that the lowest-value card available is $25 USD, so you might want to consider paying for a year of Disney+ access upfront (which costs $69.99).
- Once your code is emailed to you, head to the Account Settings page to redeem it.
- Connect to an American VPN server and download the Disney+ app from the Apple app store.
- Sign up to Disney+ in the app, using your iTunes balance to pay. You should now be able to use Disney+ from abroad without any problems.
Method 2: Unblock Disney+ with a Google account
This method should work with any Android device with access to the Google Play Store.
- First, connect to one of your VPN’s US servers.
- Go to the Google Play Store and create a new account (but don’t log in yet).
- Purchase a Google Play gift code from a reputable seller (these are available on Amazon.com). Remember: the card has to be loaded with US dollars as other currencies will not be accepted.
- You’ll soon receive the gift code via email. You can then either click the link in the email (if you’re on your phone) or key the code into the Google Play Store manually to redeem it. Note that while you’ll have to enter a valid US ZIP code, Google doesn’t actually verify whether you live there.
- Now, go into your device’s Settings menu and click on Accounts.
- Select Add Account, then Google, and add the account you created in step 2.
- Go back to the Google Play Store and sign in with your new account.
- Search for and install the Disney+ app, then sign up as normal. If you encounter an error during registration, force stop the app, then reopen it and you should be able to proceed.
- Finally, choose to pay with your Google account balance. From now on, whenever you connect to a US VPN server, you should be able to watch Disney+ abroad.
What can I watch on Disney+?
Although content availability will likely vary from one location to another, we do have an idea of what to expect. It’s not just Disney movies either; there’s a wide range of popular shows and titles from various different networks. In fact, Disney recently posted a Twitter thread listing nearly 300 titles that would be available at launch on the American version of Disney+. We’ve listed a few of the most popular below:
- Lady and the Tramp
- The Emperor’s New Groove
- The Simpsons
- The Mandalorian
- Captain Marvel
- The Muppets
- Star Wars: The Force Awakens
- Avengers: Age of Ultron
- 1 How to unblock Disney+ abroad using a VPN
- 2 Best VPNs for Disney+
- 3 1. ExpressVPN
- 4 2. CyberGhost
- 5 3. NordVPN
- 6 4. IPVanish
- 7 5. PrivateVPN
- 8 6. Surfshark
- 9 Can I unblock Disney+ with a free VPN?
- 10 How to get Disney+ without a foreign payment method
- 11 What can I watch on Disney+?