Disney+ is technically available in more than 50 countries, but only users in Europe, the UK, Singapore, Canada, Australia, and New Zealand have access to Star hits like Family Guy, Lost, and The X-Files. This means that if you go abroad on vacation, you may not be able to continue watching your favorite shows. Luckily, there’s a fairly simple solution: just connect to a Virtual Private Network (VPN) to watch Star content from anywhere.
Like most geo-restricted services, Disney+ checks your IP address to find out which country you’re in. This allows it to change its available content in line with its international licensing agreements. However, if you’re using a VPN, Disney+ can only see the IP address (and therefore, location) of your chosen server. This means that you can unblock Star on Disney+ wherever you are, simply by using a British, Canadian, Australian, or New Zealand server. What’s more, your internet traffic will be encrypted, ensuring you’re protected from snoopers.
If you’re traveling abroad and still want to access Star as normal then you’ll need the help of a VPN.
How to unblock Disney+ and stream Star from anywhere
There’s nothing to worry about; it only takes a few minutes to start streaming safely with a VPN. Below is a step-by-step guide to streaming Star online, wherever you are.
Here’s how to stream Star on Disney plus from anywhere:
- Begin by signing up for one of the VPNs below (we recommend NordVPN).
- Download the VPN app and install it on any device you use frequently. You’ll normally be allowed to have five or so connections at once, but this number varies between VPNs.
- Connect to one of your VPN’s servers in the UK, New Zealand, Australia, or Canada.
- Log into Disney+. If everything has worked as expected, you should see a message saying “Looks like you’re traveling! Content and ratings may be different than at home.”
- Finally, try playing a video. It should load right away. If not, or if you saw any errors or are shown a dark screen, you might want to clear your cookies or switch servers before trying again. If the problem still isn’t resolved, contact your VPN provider for further advice.
Deciding which VPN to use can be tricky. There are dozens of providers all fighting for your attention and to make matters worse, they often rely on technical terms to show how advanced their services are. Here’s a tip: most of the time, a well-balanced service will win out over one that specializes in one area, like security. To ensure you end up with a versatile, high-quality VPN regardless of which you choose, we’re only recommending services that fit all of these criteria:
- Can reliably unblock at least one of the Disney+ libraries that includes Star content
- Provides high enough speeds for uninterrupted HD streaming
- Offers a wide range of security features, including effectively uncrackable encryption
- Doesn’t store any personally identifiable information
- Comes with apps for all major operating systems
Short on time? You’ll find a brief overview of the best VPNs for accessing Star on Disney+ below. Alternatively, you can scroll down for a more detailed review of each.
Best VPNs for watching Star online
- NordVPN: The best VPN for streaming Star on Disney+. Very high speeds, powerful security features, and exceptional unblocking capabilities. Comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee so you can try it risk-free.
- Surfshark: Our top budget pick for Star. A privacy-conscious service with steady speeds, no connection limit, and the ability to unblock Disney+ UK from anywhere.
- ExpressVPN: An extremely fast VPN that works well with Disney+, Netflix, and similar services. Puts your privacy first and offers around-the-clock support.
- PrivateVPN: Zero-logs provider with truly impressive unblocking ability. Great security offering. More than fast enough for streaming Disney+ abroad.
- Hotspot Shield: A fast and secure option with easy-to-use apps. Has no problems unblocking Star from abroad. Good set of security features.
Best VPNs for streaming Star on Disney+
Let’s get started! Here’s a closer look at our recommended VPNs for watching Star online:
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
NordVPN easily unblocks the British version of Disney+, and has over 400 servers in the UK to choose from. Of course, with more than 5,400 servers in 59 countries worldwide, it’s great for accessing other services too. With especially high speeds and unlimited bandwidth, you shouldn’t have any problems watching 4K or live content. Up to six simultaneous connections are permitted per account.
This VPN isn’t just great for streaming, it’s also highly secure. An ad-blocker, malware-scanner, and customizable kill switch are all built-in, plus your data is kept safe from snoopers with a combination of 256-bit encryption and protection against WebRTC, IPv6, and DNS leaks. Crucially, NordVPN refuses to store any record of your activities. It also accepts three cryptocurrencies, including Bitcoin, in case you’d like to sign up anonymously. Customer support can be reached 24/7 over email and live chat.
NordVPN has apps for Linux, MacOS, iOS, Android, and Windows. If you’d rather secure all of your devices at once, it can be installed manually on supported internet routers.
- Consistently high speeds
- Works with Disney+ and similar services
- Security offering is second to none
- Doesn’t keep any logs whatsoever
- 24/7 live chat support available
- Desktop app can take some getting used to
BEST VPN FOR STAR:NordVPN is our #1 pick for unblocking Star abroad. It boasts fast, secure connections, and can access even the most stubborn services with ease. Better still, it keeps no logs and has a 30-day money-back guarantee, meaning you can try it out risk-free.
Check out our in-depth NordVPN review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
Surfshark has around 3,200 quick and reliable servers in 65 countries, and if you use the British ones, you’ll be able to stream Star on Disney+ without any issues. In fact, this provider actually has pretty impressive unblocking ability, and even works with tricky services like Netflix. Further, unlike most of its rivals, it allows you to connect as many devices as you like.
This service includes all manner of security features. For instance, there’s 256-bit AES encryption, a kill switch, and a NoBorders mode specifically designed for bypassing country-wide online blocking. Users are also protected from DNS, WebRTC, and IPv6 leaks. There’s no need to worry about your activities being traced back to you, since Surfshark doesn’t keep any logs at all. If you run into trouble, you can get help 24/7 via live chat or email.
Surfshark users can choose between apps for MacOS, iOS, Windows, Android, or Linux. Alternatively, this service can be manually installed on supported routers.
- Fast enough for streaming live TV without any issues
- Unblocks many major streaming platforms
- Powerful security features
- Zero-logs provider
- No connection limit
- Customer support has room for improvement
BEST BUDGET VPN:Surfshark is a fantastic low-cost VPN that lets you protect all of your devices at once. Solid speeds, unblocking ability, and security features make it ideal for streaming and other day-to-day tasks. All plans include a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Take a look at our comprehensive Surfshark review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
ExpressVPN is the fastest service on the market, and its users can choose from over 3,000 servers in 94 countries. This makes it a fantastic option for anyone looking to access geo-restricted platforms while traveling abroad. Its Australian servers work flawlessly with Disney+, but you can also use services like Amazon Prime Video, Hulu, and Stan. Up to five devices can be connected at any one time.
This provider clearly values your privacy. It uses effectively uncrackable 256-bit encryption and DNS, IPv6, and WebRTC leak protection to shield you from snoopers. Further, ExpressVPN follows a no-logging policy that prevents it from recording any personally identifiable information. It also accepts Bitcoin, allowing you to sign up as anonymously as possible. Live chat-based customer support is available around the clock in case of any issues.
ExpressVPN has Android, iOS, Linux, MacOS, and Windows apps. It also has its own custom firmware that makes it easier to install on your home router.
- Faster speeds than any other VPN we’ve tested
- Solid unblocking abilities
- Takes user security and privacy very seriously
- Accepts Bitcoin payments
- Costs slightly more than some others in this list
LAG-FREE STREAMING:ExpressVPN is the fastest service we’ve tested, and it unblocks Disney+ without breaking a sweat. That’s not all: it also takes your security and privacy very seriously. Best of all, there’s a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full ExpressVPN review for more information.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
PrivateVPN has roughly 150 servers in 62 countries. This might not seem like a lot, but this provider values quality over quantity, as evidenced by its better-than-average speeds and unblocking ability. These characteristics mean you’ll be able to use Disney+ UK, Netflix US, and even BBC iPlayer from anywhere in the world, without worrying about lag or buffering times. Further, with a six-connection limit, you can stream safely across all of your devices.
Security-conscious users will be glad to see 256-bit encryption included. There’s also DNS and IPv6 leak protection, as well as a customizable kill switch and a stealth mode that helps bypass stubborn VPN-detection measures. Most importantly, PrivateVPN is a zero-logs provider, which means it can’t reveal details of your activities under any circumstances. Support isn’t quite available 24/7, but it does operate most hours of the day.
PrivateVPN offers its own Linux, Windows, MacOS, Android, and iOS apps. What’s more, it can be manually configured to work with select network routers.
- High speeds, unlimited bandwidth
- Unblocks Disney+, Netflix, and more
- Great set of security features
- Keeps no logs whatsoever
- Doesn’t have 24/7 live chat
- Fairly small network
WATCH SAFELY ABROAD:PrivateVPN, as you may have guessed, PrivateVPN, as you may have guessed, prioritizes your security. However, it’s also exceptionally speedy and great at unblocking streaming platforms like Disney+ from abroad. This no-logs provider offers a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Interested? Check out the full PrivateVPN review.
Money-back guarantee: 45 DAYS
Hotspot Shield has more than 1,800 servers in 80+ countries. Its Canadian servers allow you to access Star on Disney+, wherever you are in the world. That’s not all this VPN can unblock; it also works with Netflix, Peacock, and Amazon Prime Video, among others. Speeds are high enough to stream live HD video with no noticeable buffering and users can connect up to five devices at once.
This service uses 256-bit AES encryption, DNS and IPv6 leak protection, and a kill switch to ensure your activities remain private at all times. It can also be configured to connect automatically any time you use an unsecured network. Hotspot Shield doesn’t keep any logs beyond the duration of your session. Having problems? A live chat-based help desk operates around the clock, allowing you to get help in a matter of minutes.
Hotspot Shield comes with easy-to-use apps for iOS, MacOS, Android, Windows, and Linux. Some wireless routers are supported too, via manual configuration.
- Quick and reliable
- Unblocks some of the most popular streaming services from abroad
- Strong focus on security
- May have to try a few servers to find one that works
- Doesn’t support any anonymous payment options
EXTREMELY VERSATILE:Hotspot Shield is a solid all-rounder that offers high speeds, an impressive security offering, and the ability to unblock all sorts of geo-blocked services abroad. As if that wasn’t enough, it comes with a 45-day money-back guarantee.
Read our detailed Hotspot Shield review.
Star on Disney Plus: Frequently Asked Questions
Which Star TV shows and movies can I watch on Disney+?
Star brings hundreds of well-known TV shows and movies to Disney+. We’ve compiled a short list of some of the best below, but you should note that this barely scratches the surface of what’s available:
- The X-Files
- Sons of Anarchy
- American Dad!
- How I Met Your Mother
- Once Upon a Time
- Office Space
- The Grand Budapest Hotel
- Jennifer’s Body
In which countries is Star available on Disney+?
Disney+ subscribers in Australia, Canada, New Zealand, Singapore, the UK, and Europe can sign in and start watching Star content right away. Unfortunately, we don’t know whether this network’s content will become available in other countries as yet.
However, depending on where you live, it’s possible you already have access to a regionally exclusive broadcaster. For instance, if you’re in India, you can watch Hotstar shows. Given that Disney+ is slowly rolling out all over the world, it seems almost certain that the company will continue making agreements with local networks moving forward.
Does it cost extra to watch Star on Disney+?
No, there are no additional charges or subscriptions for watching Star on Disney+. As long as you’re a Disney+ customer and you’re in the UK, New Zealand, Singapore, Europe, Canada, or Australia, Star movies and TV shows will simply be included alongside all of the service’s other offerings. Note that you don’t have to have signed up in one of these countries; even if you originally created your account elsewhere and are only visiting, you’ll still have access to Star’s content.