The Disney+ streaming service launched in the US and Canada in late 2019. Since then, it has expanded to dozens of countries worldwide. Despite this, it’s still not available in many countries, with the likes of Greece, Poland, South Africa, and Turkey all having to wait until mid-2022. This is unfortunate if you go on vacation and lose access to all your favorite content. To stream content from Disney, Pixar, Marvel, Star Wars, and more while traveling abroad in a country in which Disney+ isn’t available, a Virtual Private Network (VPN) is required.
Unfortunately, not all VPNs work with Disney+. If you’re having trouble, there are a few things you can try to access your Disney+ library back home. In this post, we’ll cover the various possible problems, some potential solutions, and recommend a few VPNs that work particularly well with Disney+.
Why doesn’t my VPN work with Disney+?
With some websites and services, you don’t need to worry about geo-blocking. However, streaming services such as Disney+ must adhere to copyright and licensing restrictions.
Here are some potential reasons why your VPN isn’t working with Disney+:
- Disney+ has identified the IP address you’re using as belonging to a VPN
- There’s a cookie stored on your device that is telling Disney+ your location
- You are not connected to a server in a country in which Disney+ is available
- The VPN is leaking your actual IP address (and thus your real location)
- Your mobile device shows a conflicting GPS location and IP address
Here’s how to fix your VPN not working with Disney+:
- Start by making sure you’re connected to a server in a country in which Disney+ is available (such as the US or UK).
- Clear your browser’s cache and cookies. Doing so ensures Disney+ forgets your previous IP address and location.
- Don’t be afraid to try more than one server. Remember to clear your cookies after connecting to a new server to ensure the change registers.
- Get in touch with your VPN’s customer support to find out which servers (if any) work with Disney+. There may be a specific one for you to use.
- If none of the above steps resolve your issue, it’s likely that your VPN simply doesn’t work with Disney+. Not to worry. We’ll recommend a few VPNs which do work well.
GET A 30-DAY FREE TRIAL OF NORDVPN
NordVPN is offering a fully-featured risk-free 30-day trial if you sign up at this page. You can use the VPN rated #1 for Disney+ with no restrictions for a month—perfect if you need some time to test it with Disney+ for yourself!
There are no hidden terms—just contact support within 30 days if you decide NordVPN isn't right for you and you'll get a full refund. Start your NordVPN trial here.
How to sign in to Disney+ with a VPN
VPNs that don’t work well with Disney+ make the process unnecessarily complicated! The good news is that setup with the best VPNs for Disney+ only takes a minute or two.
Here’s how to use Disney+ with a VPN:
- First, you’ll need to sign up with a VPN that works with Disney+. We recommend NordVPN although Surfshark and ExpressVPN are strong alternatives.
- Download and install the VPN app for your streaming device. All of the VPNs we recommend allow you to connect multiple devices simultaneously.
- Log in to the VPN app before connecting to a server in a Disney+ country. For example, connecting to a server in the US ensures you get a US IP address.
- Head on over to Disney+ and log in (or sign up if you don’t yet have an account). All content should now be available to watch regardless of your physical location.
- If content is still blocked, you may need to clear your browser’s cookies. Otherwise, try another server or get in touch with your VPN’s live chat or email support.
Which VPNs still work with Disney+?
- NordVPN: Our top choice for streaming Disney+. Over 5,000 servers worldwide. Fast speeds and P2P-optimized servers. No-logs VPN with 24-hour support.
- Surfshark: Best value VPN. Very fast speeds for streaming Disney+. Unlimited simultaneous connections. Includes 24/7 support and Double VPN servers.
- ExpressVPN: Over 3,000 servers in 94 countries. Lag-free streaming of Disney+. User-friendly VPN with strong security. Doesn’t keep any identifying logs of users.
- CyberGhost: Huge network of 7,000+ servers in 90 countries. Works well with Disney+. No-logs VPN with 24/7 support. Use it on up to seven devices at once.
- IPVanish: Unlimited simultaneous connections per account. No bandwidth throttling so you can stream Disney+ lag-free. Secure with a no-logs policy and encryption.
- PrivateVPN: Fast speeds and strong unblocking ability. Works with Disney+, HBO, and more. Easy-to-use apps. No-logs policy protects your privacy. Pay in Bitcoin.
Disney+ VPNs FAQs
Why do streaming services region-lock their content?
Most streaming platforms region-lock their content and Disney+ is no exception. This is almost always due to copyright and licensing. Disney+ is a relatively new streaming service and, as a result, isn’t available in all countries. And while Disney is producing an increasing amount of original content for which it’s more likely to own exclusive rights, it still has some content from other movie and TV studios.
Quite simply, Disney+ may not hold the rights to show in a particular country. In order to avoid copyright infringement and protect the copyright holder, the platform or its content may be region-locked. If Disney+ isn’t yet available in your country, it may be that the streaming service has yet to negotiate distribution agreements, navigate censorship laws, or even assess the level of demand—in the meantime, the content will be region-locked.
What can I watch on Disney+?
Disney+ is home to an increasing amount of TV shows and movies. In particular, it offers content from brands including Disney, Pixar, Marvel, Star Wars, and National Geographic. Here are some of the titles you can expect to find:
- Star Wars: The Last Jedi
- Toy Story
- Mary Poppins
- Iron Man
- Gravity Falls
- The Muppet Show
- War of the Worlds
- The Mighty Ducks: Game Changers
- Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey
How does Disney+ know I am using a VPN?
Disney+ looks at your IP address in order to determine your location. By using a VPN, you can change your IP address and spoof your location, unblocking Disney+. The trouble is that Disney+ sometimes recognizes when a particular IP address belongs to a VPN. This may be because too many users are using the IP address and it has been identified and added to a blacklist as a result. Or it may be that your VPN is leaking your actual IP address.
Are there any free VPNs that work with Disney+?
There’s a chance you can find a free VPN that unblocks Disney+ but the various issues you’ll encounter mean it’s just not worth it. In particular, free VPNs are notorious for their slow server speeds. When it comes to watching Disney+, this results in low resolution streams as well as a lot of lag and buffering. Furthermore, free VPNs offer very inconsistent unblocking. While one might work with Disney+ one day, it may well be blocked the next.
It’s also important to be aware of the risks to your online security and privacy. Many free VPNs lack important features, be it high-end encryption or a kill switch. This leaves your data vulnerable to hackers and snoopers. Indeed, many free VPNs leak some form of identifiable data. Any reputable VPNs service will operate a no-logs policy to protect your privacy. However, some free VPNs log your browsing data and sell the information to third parties.