We’ll walk you through how to get US Netflix in Canada using a VPN and show you which VPNs to use (as not all will work).
How to Unblock Netflix US in Canada
The process is quite simple and easy to set up, here is how to get Netflix US in Canada:
- First, you’ll need a VPN that isn’t blocked by US Netflix. Our first choice is ExpressVPN. NordVPN and CyberGhost offer low cost alternatives.
- Install the VPN software on the devices you want to watch Netflix on. All of the VPNs in this article are compatible with popular devices and operating systems.
- Connect to one of your VPN’s US servers. Not all servers will be primed to unblock US Neftlix so you may need to try a few or ask customer support.
- Connect to US Netflix and enjoy a wider range of shows.
We’ll cover individual VPNs in detail later in this article, but if you only have time for a quick glance here is our list of the best VPNs to unblock US Netflix in Canada:
- ExpressVPN Our #1 Choice for Netflix! Stands high above the rest of the pack in terms of reliably unblocking various Netflix catalogs. Servers are fast and secure. Includes 30-day Money back guarantee.
- NordVPN Great budget provider that ticks all the boxes if all you need is unblocking US Netflix at good speeds.
- CyberGhost Apps are easy to install and get started with. We were impressed with their streaming speeds.
- IPVanish Allows up to 10 devices to be connected simultaneously – great for families. Fast Servers are good for streaming.
- PrivateVPN Good at Unblocking streaming servers but has fewer servers than competitors.
A VPN, short for Virtual Private Network, encrypts all of the data sent to and from your device over the internet and re-routes it through an intermediary server in a location of your choosing. To unblock US Netflix from Canada, you just need to connect to a VPN server in the US, then open the Netflix app or website.
Best VPNs to watch US Netlfix in Canada
Not every VPN can unblock Netflix US. Netflix blocks most VPN connections, resulting in a proxy error like this:
Only a few VPN providers can reliably bypass the Netflix firewall. We’ve selected our top five based on the following criteria:
- Can unblock US Netflix from abroad
- Pegs fast speeds for high-quality, uninterrupted video
- Uses strong security and keeps no logs
- Provides quick, competent customer support
- Offers a money-back guarantee
Based on these criteria, below are the best VPNs to get Netflix USA in Canada.
ExpressVPN reliably unblocks Netflix Canada on a desktop browser and the Netflix mobile apps for iOS and Android. Not all servers will work, though, so shoot a quick message to ExpressVPN’s live customer support on the website to ask which servers to use.
Both east coast and west coast servers are available for Netflix unblocking. Speed is fast and stable, so you should be able to stream US Netflix from Canada in high quality without buffering. ExpressVPN also unblocks Netflix Canada, Netflix UK, Hulu, HBO, Amazon Prime Video, and BBC iPlayer.
This provider boasts top-of-the-line encryption, a no-logs policy, and robust data leak prevention, including a kill switch. You may connect up to three devices at the same time on a single plan.
Apps are available for Windows, MacOS, iOS, Android, Linux, Amazon Fire TV, and certain wifi routers. It even works with Apple TV!
- Unblocks major streaming sites, e.g. Netflix, Amazon Prime Video and BBC iPlayer
- Optimized for high-speed connections
- Solid privacy and security
- Vast, superfast network of servers dotted around the globe can unblock a wide range of streaming channels
- 24/7 customer support via live chat
- Slightly more expensive than some other options
The Best VPN FOR US NETFLIX:ExpressVPN holds its own. A fast and reliable choice which confidently unblocks all major streaming services with ease including Netflix, Hulu, Amzon Prime, BBC and others. Comes with a Fire TV specific app. Great privacy features and keeps no logs. Try it risk-free with the 30-day money back guarantee.
Read our full ExpressVPN review.
Special Offer - get 3 months extra FREEGET DEAL
NordVPN is a veteran provider that makes it easy to watch US Netflix from Canada. With a global network of more than 4,500 servers, your best bet of finding a server that unblocks US Netflix is to go to the NordVPN knowledge base. There you can search for Netflix (or several other streaming services) to find a support page that lists the Netflix-compatible servers. NordVPN can also access Amazon Prime Video, Hulu, and BBC iPlayer from abroad, among others.
NordVPN adheres to a strict no-logs policy and uses strong encryption, so your privacy is ensured. The apps include leak protection and a kill switch.
Apps are available for Windows, MacOS, iOS, and Android. You may connect up to six devices at one time on a normal plan.
- Unblocks Netflix US, UK, and others
- Unparalleled network – over 5,000 servers across 60 countries
- Easy-to-use apps for all major platforms
- Well priced veteran provider
- Desktop app can be awkward to use, needs updating
FAST BUDGET VPN:NordVPN is a good value choice with a generally speedy network. Works well for most streaming services, restricted browsing and torrenting. Allows up to 6 simultaneous devices and keeps no logs. 30-day money back guarantee.
Read our full NordVPN review.
Save 70% with this limited deal on 3 year plansGET DEAL
CyberGhost makes it very easy to unblock US Netflix on both mobile and desktop. Instead of looking up which servers work on a website or asking customer service, you just select the streaming option in the app. From there, you can choose from a list of unblock-able streaming services from all over the world, including Netflix.
CyberGhost lets you choose a server based on what you want to unblock, not just based on location. It’s one of the faster VPNs we’ve tested, so you should be able to stream buffering-free in high quality. If the server you’re connected to has been blocked by Netflix, a simple “thumbs up, thumbs down” button lets you give instant feedback.
CyberGhost recently earned the top score in our security and privacy assessment. You can connect up to five devices at a time.
Apps are available for Windows, MacOS, iOS, and Android.
- Apps are easy to install and use – a good option for beginners
- Great value low-cost provider
- Fast, reliable service
- Works with Netflix US from any country
- Not suitable for those that need control of advanced features
GREAT VALUE:CyberGhost has a simple set up. Another affordable choice. Good on privacy. Streams HD video reliably. Good for Netflix but can struggle with some other streaming sites. 45-day money back guarantee.
Read our full CyberGhost review.
Flash Sale - save 79% on the 3 year planGET DEAL
IPVanish is quite possibly the fastest VPN on the market, and it recently reinstated US Netflix unblocking for both the mobile app and desktop browser. Not all servers unblock Netflix, but the 24/7 live chat support makes it quick and painless to find out. Subscribers should be able to stream in HD without buffering, and maybe even Ultra HD.
You can connect up to 10 devices on a single account, more than with any other provider on this list. You’ll also get top-notch encryption, a no-logs policy, leak protection, and a kill switch to keep your connection secure.
Apps are available for Windows, MacOS, iOS, and Android.
- Impressive 4K streaming speeds achieved during testing
- Operates a network of more than 1,300 servers from 75 city locations around the globe
- Connect up to 10 devices at the same time
- Doesn’t reliably unblock Netflix, Hulu – need to check with chat support for the latest reliable servers
UP TO 10 DEVICES:IPVanish has a large network of servers. Generally solid for torrenters, P2P & Kodi users. Adhere to the highest standard of privacy, will probably need to try server switching to unblock Netflix. 7-day money back guarantee.
Read our full IPVanish review.
Comparitech Exclusive - save 60% on the 1 year planGET DEAL
PrivateVPN is a relative newcomer in the VPN industry, but that hasn’t held it back from emerging as a top choice for cord-cutters. Despite its relatively small server network, PrivateVPN unblocks just about everything we’ve tested it against. Plus it’s fast, so you can stream in HD without buffering. PrivateVPN couldn’t make unblocking American Netflix any easier, as the server locations that unblock it are clearly labeled in the app.
This provider boasts a no-logs policy and strong encryption. Connections are leak-proof and can optionally be protected with a kill switch that cuts off all internet access should the VPN connection drop.
You can connect up to six devices at a time with the basic plan. Apps are available for Windows, MacOS, iOS, and Android.
- Gaining a reputation for unblocking popular streaming sites
- Unblocks a wide range of Netflix country catalogs
- New up-and-coming expanding network
- Fewer servers to choose from than other providers higher on this list
- Works with Linux but requires manual configuration
- Live chat goes offline for two hours per day
GREAT SPEED:PrivateVPN is a good family choice. Unblocks US Netflix and allows up to 6 devices on the same account. Small network of servers but fast connections. 30-day money back guarantee.
Read our full PrivateVPN review.
Special Deal - save 83% on the 2 year planGET DEAL
Can I use a free VPN to unblock US Netflix from Canada?
Free VPNs simply don’t have the resources to outmaneuver Netflix’s anti-VPN firewall. We know of no free VPN that can reliably access Netflix without triggering the proxy error. Even if you found one that works, chances are it will be blocked soon.
In any case, free VPNs tend to be congested with too many users, resulting in slow speed. That means low quality video and a lot of buffering. Many free VPNs implement data caps and bandwidth limits, further inhibiting your ability to stream video.
Finally, many free VPNs don’t offer the same privacy and security as their paid counterparts. In order to make money, free VPN providers frequently collect and sell data about your usage history and what you do while connected to their service. They may even hijack your web browser or install malware on your device.
In short, avoid free VPNs.
Netflix Canada vs Netflix US
Netflix Canada’s catalog has made significant headway in catching up to its American counterpart in recent years, but some movies and TV shows haven’t made their way up north quite yet. By some counts, US Netflix has about 200 more titles in total. They include:
- American Horror Story
- Sons of Anarchy
- Parks and Recreation
- … and many more.
Generally speaking, Netflix US seems to have more Hollywood content, while the Canadian version has more international stuff.
- 1 How to Unblock Netflix US in Canada
- 2 Best VPNs to watch US Netlfix in Canada
- 3 1. ExpressVPN
- 4 Special Offer - get 3 months extra FREE
- 5 2. NordVPN
- 6 Save 70% with this limited deal on 3 year plans
- 7 3. CyberGhost
- 8 Flash Sale - save 79% on the 3 year plan
- 9 4. IPVanish
- 10 Comparitech Exclusive - save 60% on the 1 year plan
- 11 5. PrivateVPN
- 12 Special Deal - save 83% on the 2 year plan
- 13 Can I use a free VPN to unblock US Netflix from Canada?
- 14 Netflix Canada vs Netflix US