Trying to find out how to watch your home service Canadian TV in the US or anywhere else abroad? We’ll explain exactly how to catch up with your favorite Canadian TV shows from anywhere in the world, with the help of a Virtual Private Network (VPN). This is perfect if you’re traveling away from Canada on vacation and want to keep access to your favorite shows.
VPNs encrypt your network traffic, enabling you to browse the internet safely, without your activities being monitored by hackers, network administrators, or your Internet Service Provider (ISP). ISPs have a history of lowering the speeds of users who stream frequently, but since they can’t tell exactly what you’re doing when using a VPN, throttling becomes more difficult to justify.
There’s another benefit to streaming with a VPN: they allow you to access geo-blocked services from other countries. When you connect to a VPN server in Canada you get a temporary Canadian IP address. This lets you watch Canadian TV from abroad, by making it seem like you are back home.
Below, you can take a quick look at the best VPNs to watch Canadian TV in the US or anywhere else:
- NordVPN: A fast and secure VPN with servers in Canada that work to watch TSN, CBC, Plex, Crave, Club Illico, and other Canadian services abroad. Super secure apps for all devices. Works with Netflix and has a 30-day money-back guarantee.
- Surfshark: Lightning fast servers in over 60 countries, including Canada to watch Canadian TV services abroad. No logs policy. Many advanced security features.
- ExpressVPN: Providers robust security and privacy. Servers in 94 countries. Works to watch US, UK, and Canadian TV services abroad. Fast Lightway protocol to stream without buffering.
- CyberGhost VPN: A trustworthy VPN with apps for all platforms. Over 7000 servers in 90+ countries. Works wth Netflix Canada, TSN, CBC, and other geo-restricted Canadian video platforms.
- IPVanish: A fast US-based VPN with a choice of servers in 50+ countries. Provides IP addresses in Canada to access cable TV portals, online TV services, and Video platforms like Netflix and Crave.
- PrivateVPN: Comes highly recommended by subscribers. Fast servers in Canada and the US work to watch streaming services. Provides advanced security features. Is great for torrenting.
- Private Internet Access: Huge server network, decent unblocking, and tweakable encryption levels.
WANT TO TRY THE TOP VPN RISK FREE?
NordVPN is offering a fully-featured risk-free 30-day trial if you sign up at this page. You can use the VPN rated #1 for Canadian TV with no restrictions for a month. As such, it’s perfect for anyone hoping to keep streaming their favorite shows while on vacation abroad.
There are no hidden terms—just contact support within 30 days if you decide NordVPN isn't right for you and you'll get a full refund. Start your NordVPN trial here.
Can I watch Canadian TV from the US or abroad?
Yes, you can! Simply set up a VPN and you’ll be able to get a Canadian IP address and stream Canadian TV shows from anywhere. New to VPNs and unsure how to get started? Just follow the steps below to bypass geo-restrictions and watch Canadian TV from anywhere in the world.
Here’s how to watch Canadian TV from the US (or anywhere else abroad):
- First, choose a suitable VPN provider (we recommend NordVPN).
- Download and install the VPN app, taking care to get the right version for your device.
- Use your credentials to log into the app.
- Connect to one of your VPN’s Canadian servers. This will give you a Canadian IP address.
- Try loading video on your chosen site. It should begin playing almost immediately, but if not, try clearing your browser’s cache and deleting any cookies.
If you’re looking to watch a particular show live, we strongly recommend trying out the steps above before it airs. This way, if your VPN doesn’t work as intended, you’ll still have time to contact customer support and might not have to miss anything.
The best VPNs for streaming Canadian TV- At a glance
We’ve compared the most important features for the top VPNs here. Prefer to read the in-depth reviews? Start with NordVPN – our #1 choice for Canadian TV.
|Website||www.NordVPN.com||www.Surfshark.com||www.ExpressVPN.com||www.Cyberghost.com||www.IPVanish.com||www.PrivateVPN.com||Ranking for Canadian TV||1||2||3||4||5||6||Popular Sites Unblocked||95%||86%||70%||85%||70%||85%||Avg Speed||100+ Mbps||100+ Mbps||100+ Mbps||100+ Mbps||100+ Mbps||71 Mbps||Logging Policy||No identifying data||No identifying data||No logs stored||No logs stored||No logs stored||No logs stored||Devices Supported||Windows, MacOS, iOS, Android, Linux, Smart TVs, Routers||Windows, MacOS, iOS, Android, Linux||Windows, MacOS, iOS, Android||Windows, MacOS, iOS, Android||Windows, MacOS, iOS, Android||Windows, MacOS, iOS, Android|
|Best deal (per month)||$3.29|
SAVE 60% + FREE Malware Protection
Get 2 Months FREE with a 2-year plan
SAVE: 49% on the annual plan
SAVE 82% on the 3 year plan
SAVE 77% on the 2 year plan
SAVE 82% on the three year plan
Choosing the right VPN for streaming Canadian TV
It’s often difficult for novices to decide which VPN to use. After all, there are so many choices and each service is slightly different. For example, some offer larger networks, while others focus on providing the fastest speeds or the strongest security features. To find the best VPNs for watching Canadian TV abroad, we looked for those that met the following criteria:
- Can unblock popular Canadian services like CBC, TVA, and Sportsnet
- Has an extensive network, ideally with multiple Canadian servers
- Uses powerful encryption and includes various other security features
- Logs no personally identifiable information, or better still, keeps no logs at all
- Has good multi-platform support with minimal functional difference between the desktop and mobile apps
Below, we’ve listed the best VPNs for streaming Canadian TV abroad:
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
NordVPN is our top choice. It currently has 480+ servers in Canada alone, and around 5,000 elsewhere. It’s fast enough to stream HD or 4K content without interruption, allows up to six simultaneous connections, and offers dedicated P2P and enhanced-privacy servers. Further, this service can bypass geo-blocking on even the most stubborn streaming platforms. It can easily unblock services like HBO Max, Hulu, and BBC iPlayer, so CTV and similar Canadian TV streams won’t pose a problem.
This VPN is highly customizable and gives you everything you need to fine-tune your online security. It uses 256-bit encryption and protects against WebRTC, DNS, and IPv6 leaks by default. You can use two VPNs at once, access Tor with a VPN, and block ads or malware automatically. NordVPN has a no-logs policy and allows you to pay in Bitcoin. This means that if you use a disposable email address to register, you’ll be almost completely untraceable.
This service has Linux, MacOS, Windows, Android, and iOS apps. Manual installation is required for network routers.
- Strong security and privacy credentials
- Easily unblocks a wide range of geo-locked sites
- A fantastic option for streaming and torrenting
- Customer service available via 24/7 live chat
- Achieves consistently good speeds
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- Desktop app doesn’t let you disconnect in one click
BEST VPN FOR CANADIAN TV:NordVPN is our #1 pick for Canada. It’s extremely fast and security-conscious, plus it reliably unblocks a whole host of streaming services from abroad. This VPN even comes with a risk-free 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full review of NordVPN.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
Surfshark provides access to 3,200+ servers in more than 60 countries (Canada included). With generally consistent speeds and exceptional unblocking ability, this service makes it easy to stream Canadian TV abroad; it even works with stubborn services like TSN. One of this VPN’s standout features is that it has no connection limit. This means that, unlike with many of its rivals, Surfshark allows you to secure every device you own.
This service is no slouch when it comes to security either. There’s 256-bit encryption, WebRTC, DNS, and IPv6 leak protection, and a kill switch built-in, as well as an automatic ad-blocker and malware-scanner. Surfshark doesn’t log any information that could be traced back to you but if you’re looking for even greater privacy, you can pay in Bitcoin, Ripple, or Ethereum. Need help? Support is available over live chat and email, 24/7.
Surfshark comes with apps for Windows, Linux, MacOS, iOS, and Android. It can even manually configured for use with supported internet routers.
- Provides a secure, encrypted connection
- Allows unlimited devices
- Fast enough for streaming live TV without any issues
- Plenty of advanced security features
- Can be hard to find specific options in the menu
BEST BUDGET VPN:Surfshark is a low-cost provider that punches above its weight. Steady speeds, great unblocking ability, and an impressive range of security features. All plans come with a 30 day money back guarantee.
Read our full review of Surfshark.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
ExpressVPN is fast enough to stream live HD video with no noticeable buffering, and with more than 3,000 servers worldwide, you’re all but guaranteed a low-latency connection. What’s more, this service can unblock major streaming platforms like Crave, Hulu, and Amazon Prime Video from abroad. With server clusters in Toronto, Montreal, and Vancouver, you can even use ExpressVPN to bypass regional NHL blackouts.
This VPN uses 256-bit encryption to keep your online activities private. It also features DNS and IPv6 leak protection, perfect forward secrecy, and a kill switch in its desktop apps that stops all traffic should you disconnect unexpectedly. ExpressVPN doesn’t log any information that could identify you, and it’s possible to register almost completely anonymously by paying with Bitcoin. If you need any help, you can contact customer support over live chat, 24/7.
ExpressVPN includes apps for Windows, Linux, MacOS, Android, and iOS devices. Wireless routers have to be configured manually, but ExpressVPN provides custom firmware that makes this as easy as possible.
- High speeds for downloading and video streaming
- Comprehensive security and privacy features
- Great capabilities for unblocking geo-locked content
- Costs slightly more than some others in this list
STRONG ALL ROUNDER:ExpressVPN can handle just about anything Boasts plenty of powerful security features, consistently high speeds, and a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full review of ExpressVPN.
Money-back guarantee: 45 DAYS
CyberGhost makes it as easy as possible to stay safe online. You can choose one of its nearly 7,000 servers (300+ in Canada) directly, or instead, choose a task (like accessing geo-blocked streams or file-sharing safely) and have a suitable server assigned. With high speeds and up to seven simultaneous connections permitted, this service is ideal for users looking to protect all of their devices with minimal configuration required.
Despite its user-friendly design, CyberGhost offers a range of security features. Your traffic is safeguarded by 256-bit encryption, a kill switch (in both the mobile and desktop versions), as well as IPv6, DNS, port forwarding, and WebRTC leak protection. This service doesn’t log any information that could be traced back to you.
CyberGhost has apps for Linux, Android, iOS, Windows, and MacOS. It can be manually installed on supported internet routers.
- Provides a secure, encrypted connection
- Streams HD video seamlessly
- 45-day money-back guarantee
- 300+ Servers to choose from in Canada
- Doesn’t offer much control over advanced features
- May be less suitable for experienced users
GREAT FOR NOVICES:CyberGhost is fast and user-friendly, making it ideal for streaming Canadian TV while on vacation. Comes with pre-configured security features and a 45-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full review of CyberGhost.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
IPVanish is well-known for its high speeds and excellent multi-platform support. It offers access to more than 1,900 servers around the world, with 50+ in Canada alone. It’s a particularly strong choice if you’d like to protect multiple devices, since it permits any number of simultaneous connections while most of its rivals allow around five.
This VPN uses 256-bit encryption, DNS and IPv6 leak protection, and a kill switch (in all versions of the software) to protect your traffic from prying eyes. It enables users to obfuscate OpenVPN traffic, switch IP addresses at preset intervals, and block all local traffic. IPVanish doesn’t keep any session or connection logs, so your activities cannot be traced back to you. This make is a popular VPN for torrenting and for Kodi. Customer support is ready to help via live chat, 24/7.
IPVanish apps are available for Android, Windows, iOS, MacOS, and Amazon Fire devices. Linux systems and some network routers are also supported via manual configuration.
- Operates a network of more than 1,900 servers from 75 city locations around the globe
- Keeps no logs whatsoever
- Impressive 4K streaming speeds achieved during testing
- Doesn’t accept Bitcoin
- Some servers don’t perform well with larger streaming platforms
SECURE EVERY DEVICE:IPVanish is a no-logs VPN that lets you protect every device you own simultaneously. Fast speeds, decent unblocking ability, and a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full review of IPVanish.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
PrivateVPN has a few Canadian servers (in Toronto and Montreal) and around 200 in total. What it lacks in network size, however, it more than makes up for in speed; PrivateVPN is fast enough to stream live HD video with no issues whatsoever. Further, it works with some of the most popular streaming platforms in Canada including US Netflix, TVA, and Sportsnet Now.
PrivateVPN protects against DNS, IPv6, and WebRTC leaks, and keeps your activities hidden behind 256-bit encryption. It also has a strict no-logging policy, so if you pay in Bitcoin and use a throwaway email to register, you’ll be almost completely anonymous online. PrivateVPN’s customer service is second to none; it offers 24/7 support over live chat and the staff can install or configure the software for you remotely (with your permission, of course).
This VPN comes with apps for Windows, MacOS, iOS, and Android. It can be manually installed on Linux devices and supported wireless routers.
- Perfect for streaming
- New up-and-coming expanding network
- Privacy and security are top-notch
- Operated from Sweden which is outside of the Five Eyes
- Fewer servers to choose from than other providers higher on this list
- Works with Linux but requires manual configuration
FAST AND RELIABLE:PrivateVPN is an extremely fast service that unblocks plenty of popualr streaming services from abroad. Strong on security, with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full review of PrivateVPN.
Private Internet Access has over 10,000 servers in over 70 countries, including a heap of servers in Canada. As a result, you’ll never struggle to find a server nearby, regardless of where you log in from. PIA is US-based and doesn’t collect logs, so you have peace of mind your data is in safe hands.
Aside from offering a network kill switch, military-grade encryption, and a built-in adblocker, PIA lets you edit your level of encryption for a speed boost on activities like streaming that don’t require encryption.
You’ll get a 10-device connection limit, apps for desktops and smartphones, and a 30-day money-back guarantee, so you can cancel in the first month if you aren’t happy with the service or features.
- Excellent Kodi support
- 10 simultaneous device limit
- Customizable encryption level
- Streaming speeds can be inconsistent
- Doesn’t unblock all streaming sites
24/7 SUPPORT:Private Internet Access includes a network kill switch, AES encryption, and 10,000 fast servers worldwide.
Read our full review of Private Internet Access.
Can I watch Canadian TV abroad with a free VPN?
Although free VPNs can be tempting, we don’t recommend using one, particularly if you’d like to stream. These services tend to have small server networks with a constant influx of users. This causes major slowdowns, which manifest in slow browsing speeds and frequently stuttering video that takes a long time to buffer. Additionally, most free VPNs are unable to bypass geo-blocking on popular streaming services, so you may not be able to watch anything.
Unless you’re familiar with the ins and outs of computer networking, it can be difficult to tell if you’re even using a legitimate VPN or not. A 2015 survey of 283 free VPN apps found that over 38% included malware, and of the ones that didn’t, 84% leaked data over IPv6. Worse, 18% never even encrypted user traffic at all. Even well-known services come with risks, as we found during the Hola botnet scandal.
The best way to protect yourself online is to use a reputable VPN that logs no personally identifiable information and has a history of standing up for its users’ privacy.
Methodology: How we found the best VPNs for Canadian TV
Not every VPN is suitable for live streaming, and fewer still are a good choice when it comes to watching Canadian TV. That’s because platforms like Crave, Global TV, and DAZN have particularly strong geo-restriction measures built-in. Below, you’ll find a quick rundown of the main features we looked out for in the best VPNs for streaming Canadian TV:
- Servers in Canada: Most of your usual streaming services require you to have a Canadian IP address. That’s why Canadian servers are a must-have, with higher numbers providing a more stable experience overall.
- Streaming ability: We test our top VPNs with all of the most popular Canadian streaming services including Crave, Global TV, Netflix, HBO Max, and Disney Plus. This way, you’ll always have options when it comes to what to watch.
- Performance: To make sure your VPN is fast enough to handle whatever you throw at it, we regularly run hundreds of speed tests. Only the VPNs that deliver impressive speeds earn a spot in our list, but we also take their consistency into account.
- Security and privacy: Our top VPNs must include 256-bit encryption, a kill switch, a no-logs policy, and protection against IPv6 and DNS leaks at a bare minimum. However, security is particularly important to us, so more advanced features such as stealth modes are always welcome.
- Ease of use: Everyone should be able to browse the web safely. That’s why we look for multi-platform support, well-designed apps, and live chat-based customer support. Naturally, if there are any other features that make the service even more welcoming, that’s a huge bonus.
Looking to find out more about how we test potential recommendations? We actually have a post that explains our entire VPN testing process.
Streaming Canadian TV with a VPN: FAQs
Which Canadian channels and services can I use with a VPN?
If you usually live in Canada but are currently abroad, there’s very little you can’t access with a VPN. If asked to, simply login with your cable provider details and you’ll be able to start streaming immediately. CTV, CityTV, Space, and Sportsnet all have online live streams that you can access abroad in this way.
Don’t have cable TV? There’s still plenty of Canadian content to watch on platforms like CHCH, CP24, TVA, and CBC. These streams are free-to-watch and don’t require you to create an account, but they usually are geo-blocked, meaning you’ll still have to use a VPN in order to watch.
Additionally, some streaming services, including Netflix, have different content libraries for different countries, so if you’re traveling and find that something you wanted to watch isn’t available, you can just connect to a VPN and see if it’s in your usual country’s library.
How else can a VPN help me?
If you travel frequently, you can use VPNs for more than just streaming. For example, if you log into your RBS, Bank of Montreal (BMO), or CIBC bank account from a different country, you run the risk of tripping automated fraud prevention systems. However, if you connect to a Canadian server first, you can access your bank account abroad with no issues.
Travelling can actually create problems using your usual services. You could find yourself unable to place bets on your usual gambling site due to geo-locking, or end up locked out of your favorite games due to a new login in a foreign country. VPNs not only help reduce the risk of this happening but also allow you to protect yourself when using public wifi networks.