Most people have come across web content that is unavailable in their location. Geo-restricted content is increasingly common, particularly when it comes to streaming services. If you’re looking to VPN to Japan to get a Japanese IP address, chances are you’ve experienced this yourself. Whether you’re looking to unblock Netflix Japan or access Japanese TV, you can get an IP address from Japan with a VPN.
A VPN allows you to not only access geo-restricted content in Japan but in many countries around the world including the USA, UK and Australia. Short for “Virtual Private Network”, a VPN encrypts the traffic going to and from your browsing device. This hides your true IP address and thus your location since traffic is routed through a server of your choice. In this case, you’ll want a server located in Japan. Aside from unblocking online content, you’ll also be protecting your online privacy. What’s not to like?
We go in-depth on each of the providers we feature below, but if you only have time for a summary, here is our list of the best VPNs you can use to VPN to Japan:
- NordVPN: Our #1 Choice to get an IP address from Japan! Extremely fast, with strong security and servers all over the globe and a 30-day guarantee.
- Surfshark: Affordable yet powerful. Security-first service with decent speeds and the ability to bypass geo-restrictions. No connection limits.
- ExpressVPN: Superfast Japanese servers are great for streaming and downloading. Secure, private, and great at unblocking geo-blocked services.
- CyberGhost: Beginner friendly apps for most devices and some of the fastest servers we’ve tested.
- IPVanish: Works well with Kodi and similar Android streaming devices, great for multiple devices.
- PrivateVPN: New and upcoming network with great unblocking capabilities, good connection speeds, and a selection of Japanese VPN servers.
- Hotspot Shield: A fast and reliable service. Servers in 80 countries, including Japan. Strong encryption and fast speeds for streaming.
Steps to get a Japanese IP address
Getting an IP address from Japan isn’t difficult at all. Here’s what you need to do:
- Sign up with a VPN service – we recommend NordVPN.
- Download and install the relevant VPN software or app for your device.
- Open the VPN and select one of the servers located in Japan.
- Try the geo-restricted content again which should now be unblocked. You may need to clear your cookies for the change to take effect.
- Enjoy unrestricted access to Japanese content as well as increased online security!
WANT TO TRY THE TOP VPN RISK FREE?
NordVPN is offering a fully-featured risk-free 30-day trial if you sign up at this page. You can use the VPN rated #1 for getting a Japanese IP address without restriction for a month. Naturally, this makes it perfect for anyone hoping to access services like NHK while on a short trip abroad.
There are no hidden terms—just let support staff know within 30 days if you decide NordVPN isn't right for you and you'll get a full refund. Start your NordVPN trial here.
The best VPN to get an IP address from Japan
Now we come to the key question. At first glance, it’s not easy to know which is the best VPN to get a Japanese IP address. The reason for this is that there are so many VPNs (both paid and free) on the market. What’s more, the quality of VPN services can vary drastically. That’s why we’ve taken the time to research the very best VPNs around, hopefully saving you some time in the process. To be considered, a VPN had to meet the following criteria:
- Servers in Japan as well as worldwide
- Connections that offer speed and stability
- Strong online security with encryption
- No logging of your personal information
- Efficient customer support
- Apps for Windows, Mac, Android, and iOS
To find out more about how we recommend VPNs, check out our in-depth VPN testing methodology article. For now, here are summaries to help you pick between the top VPNs with a Japanese IP:
The best VPN to get a Japanese IP address – at a glance
We’ve compared the most important features for the top VPNs here. Prefer to read the in-depth reviews? Start with NordVPN – our #1 choice for getting a Japanese IP address.
|Website||NordVPN.com||Surfshark.com||ExpressVPN.com||Cyberghost.com||IPVanish.com||PrivateVPN.com||Ranking for Japan||1||2||3||4||5||6||Server countries||60||100||94||91||53||63||Devices Supported||Windows, MacOS, iOS, Android, Linux, Smart TVs, Routers||Windows, MacOS, iOS, Android, Linux||Windows, MacOS, iOS, Android, Linux||Windows, MacOS, Linux (command line), iOS, Android||Windows, MacOS, iOS, Android||Windows, MacOS, iOS, Android||Avg Speed (Mbps)||100+ Mbps||100+ Mbps||100+ Mbps||100+ Mbps||100+ Mbps||71 Mbps||Popular Sites Unblocked||95%||88%||86%||85%||70%||85%|
|Best deal (per month)||$3.49|
SAVE up to 63% + FREE months
Get 2 Months FREE with a 2-year plan
SAVE: 49% on the annual plan
SAVE 83% on the 2 year plan + 3 months FREE
SAVE 77% on the 2 year plan
SAVE 85% on the three year plan
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
NordVPN has over 5,900 in their network of servers around the world, more than 160 of which are in Japan. The advantage of this is that you’ll never have a problem finding a server. Whether you’re looking to unblock geo-restricted content in Japan, USA or UK, NordVPN works very well. Aside from offering many servers, NordVPN can unblock Netflix, HBO GO, Hulu, BBC iPlayer and more. This is a VPN that promises 99.9% uptime and we found performance to be excellent. We were able to stream HD videos with no problem while the connection didn’t drop once.
This is a VPN that provides plenty of options in terms of the number of servers and even the types of servers. The easy-to-follow NordVPN app lists specialty servers including Double VPN (the use of double encryption for an additional layer of security) and Onion Over VPN (combining NordVPN with the Onion network). NordVPN also offers what it describes as “military-grade encryption” which is 256-bit AES. Other important security features include an automatic internet kill switch and DNS leak protection. Last but not least, NordVPN has a strict no usage logs policy, which means your private data isn’t tracked or collected.
NordVPN apps are ideal for video and available for Windows, MacOS, Android, iOS, Linux, and Android TV. A browser extension is also on offer for Chrome and Firefox.
- 160+ servers in Japan are great for downloading and streaming
- Faster than any of its rivals
- Unblocks all major streaming platforms, e.g. Netflix and Amazon Prime Video
- Top-notch security and online privacy protection
- Offers 24/7 live chat
- Be prepared to use support assistance for choosing the best streaming servers
Read our full NordVPN review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
Surfshark makes it easy to get a Japanese IP address, wherever you are in the world. What’s more, this service is highly versatile, unblocking all sorts of services from Netflix Japan to J Sports. Surfshark’s high-speed servers allow you to watch in the highest possible quality, free from lag and buffering. This VPN has no connection limit, meaning it’s perfect for anyone looking to secure every device in their home.
This service includes numerous advanced security features. There’s 256-bit encryption, protection against WebRTC, IPv6, and DNS leaks, and a kill switch, for a start. Surfshark also blocks ads, scans for malware, and allows you to scramble your traffic, hiding the fact that you’re using a VPN at all. This service does not keep any internet traffic logs so they can’t reveal any personally identifiable information and as a result, your activities cannot be traced back to you.
Surfshark apps are available for Linux, iOS, Android, MacOS, and Windows. Manual installation is required before use with network routers.
- No connection limit
- Unblocks some of the most popular streaming platforms
- Powerful online privacy protections and security features
- Pay anonymously with cryptocurrency
- Fast, reliable connections
- Has a smaller network compared to some of its rivals
- Some servers much slower than others
Read our full review of Surfshark here.
BEST BUDGET VPN:Surfshark is our favorite low-cost service for a Japanese IP address. It provides secure, reliable connections and can bypass even the most stringent restrictions and blocks. Includes a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
ExpressVPN is a fast and reliable option for getting a Japanese IP address. It’s versatile, too, allowing us to stream Netflix Japan with no annoying buffering or lag. Overall, ExpressVPN has over 3,000 servers in 160 VPN server locations. Servers are available across 94 countries including the USA and UK.
Not only is the ExpressVPN app easy to use, there’s also the option of having an ExpressVPN browser extension to make changing servers quicker and easier than ever before. ExpressVPN is an excellent VPN when it comes to unblocking geo-restricted content and we found it worked well with the likes of Netflix, Amazon Prime, BBC iPlayer and Hulu. If you do encounter any issues, ExpressVPN offers 24/7 support including a live chat feature – not many VPNs offer this.
ExpressVPN offers excellent overall security. Should the VPN connection fail (this is rare since ExpressVPN guarantees 99.9% uptime), a kill switch cuts traffic to and from your device, preventing your personal information from being compromised. You can also expect 256-bit AES encryption as well as DNS leak protection. What’s more, ExpressVPN stores no online activity or internet connection logs from users.
ExpressVPN offers apps for Windows, Mac, Android, iOS and Linux as well as browser extensions for Chrome, Firefox and Safari.
- Apps are slick and easy to use
- Can unblock most geo-restricted content at HD streaming speeds
- Hard to beat on online security features
- Live chat available 24/7 that you can rely on
- Slightly more expensive than some of its competitors
- Could offer more control over advanced features
BYPASS BLOCKING:ExpressVPN is great for streaming. It’s fast and excels at unblocking tricky services abroad. Doesn’t compromise on security. 30-day money back guarantee.
Read our full ExpressVPN review.
Money-back guarantee: 45 DAYS
CyberGhost has 53 servers in Tokyo and over 7,400 worldwide in 89 countries. As such, it’s another great VPN if you want a Japanese local IP address or wish to access content in the USA or UK, for example. Aside from having a high number of servers, CyberGhost offers unlimited bandwidth and traffic. Indeed, our browsing and streaming experience with this VPN was very positive with fast and consistent connections. What’s more, a single CyberGhost plan allows for simultaneous connections on up to 7 devices.
When it comes to the CyberGhost apps, the interface is particularly easy to use, which makes it ideal for beginners. Selecting a country and server is simple while various features can be toggled on and off with a click. These include an ad-blocker and forced HTTPS. One of the key reasons to consider CyberGhost for a Japanese public IP address is that it’s one of the safest VPNs on the market. Security features include 256-bit AES encryption, DNS leak protection and a kill switch. Furthermore, it has a strict no-logs policy so they have no records of any user activity.
CyberGhost provides apps for Windows, MacOS, Android, iOS and Amazon Fire Stick. It’s also possible to use CyberGhost with Linux or your router but this does require manual setup.
- Over 30 servers in Japan that are primed for high-speed connections
- Apps are easy to install and use – a good option for beginners
- Solid privacy features including kill-switch
- Ability to connect to multiple servers simultaneously on the same device
- Lack of configuration options will frustrate power users
EASY TO USE:CyberGhost is a great beginners' choice. A budget choice. Good on the privacy side. Streams HD video reliably. Unblocks most popular streaming sites. 45-day money back guarantee.
Read our full CyberGhost review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
IPVanish is a VPN provider that allows any number of simultaneous connections. This is great value if you’re sharing with family and friends. This VPN provider has more than 1,800 servers worldwide, 20 of which are located in Tokyo. One of the main advantages of IPVanish is that browsing speeds are very good. We used IPVanish to access both Amazon Prime Video and Netflix US. IPVanish streamed HD videos with no problem and we didn’t encounter any issues with buffering.
Using the IPVanish app is very convenient with the option to browse by city, country and server. As well as a map of servers, a filter-able list lets you search by latency. However, you also have the option of using the ‘QuickConnect’ feature to save time. When it comes to security, IPVanish offers 256-bit AES encryption, DNS leak protection and a kill switch. There’s also a zero usage logs policy. Some users may also appreciate that it’s possible to sign up for IPVanish anonymously, which isn’t the case with many VPNs.
IPVanish apps are available for the following platforms: Windows, MacOS, Android, iOS and Fire TV. While IPVanish is available for Linux and routers, manual setup is needed.
- Operates six high-speed servers in Tokyo
- Keeps no usage logs whatsoever
- Very fast connection speeds
- Doesn’t reliably unblock Netflix, Hulu
NO DEVICE LIMITS:IPVanish is great for families and people wth multiple devices. Easy to use with Kodi and preferred by users who need high standards of privacy. Can’t unblock as many streaming services as some of its rivals. 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full IPVanish review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
PrivateVPN is a smaller provider based in Sweden. Although it only has around 200 servers in total (2 are located in Tokyo, Japan), they are spread across 63 countries. This means you should have no problem unblocking geo-restricted content. Having a Japanese assigned IP address with PrivateVPN is well worth considering thanks to the high-quality servers this VPN offers. We used PrivateVPN to stream videos on Netflix Japan, BBC iPlayer and Amazon Prime Video. Streams load fast and playback is smooth with no buffering or lag to speak of.
We often particularly recommend PrivateVPN to beginners since it’s a VPN that’s easy to use. The interface is very simple, though there is an advanced tab with features such as a stealth VPN, which serves to bypass deep packet inspection by disguising VPN traffic as regular internet traffic. In terms of security features, PrivateVPN offers 256-bit AES encryption, a kill switch, and DNS leak protection. It also claims to have a zero data-logging policy, protecting your privacy.
PrivateVPN apps can be downloaded for Windows, MacOS, Android and iOS. Linux and routers require manual configuration.
- Works with a wide range of streaming services
- Strong security and privacy features and fast download speeds
- Can use up to six connected devices simultaneously
- New network with a smaller number of servers to choose from
- Live chat goes offline for two hours per day
NO-FUSS STREAMING:PrivateVPN is faster than most, log-free, security-focused, and able to access stubborn services like Netflix abroad. A 30-day money-back guarantee is included.
Read our full PrivateVPN review.
7. Hotspot Shield
Money-back guarantee: 45 DAYS
Editor’s Note: Hotspot Shield is owned by Pango, Comparitech’s parent company.
Hotspot Shield is a VPN provider based in America. Although the US is home to the NSA, warrants, and gag orders, Hotspot Shield ensures your data is safe with a solid no-logs police. This means it never stores any data regarding what you do while connected to the VPN that could be sequestered.
Apps are available for all popular platforms, and you can use the VPN on up to 5 devices simultaneously. The VPN has servers in over 80 countries, including Japan to get a Japanese IP address. This means you can use it to access Japanese streaming platforms abroad or to use Japanese services with added privacy.
Those who want to stream and play games will be happy with how this VPN performs. It is super-fast thanks to its proprietary Catapult Hydra protocol. And it works to access Hulu, Netflix, and more.
Plus, this VPN has robust encryption and a kill-switch to give you online security whether at home or on public Wi-Fi. You can test it yourself using its 30-day money-back guarantee.
- Super-fast Catapult Hydra protocol
- Easy to use
- Servers in 80 countries, including Japan
- Works to access Japanese TV platforms
- No usage logs
- Based in the US
- Some connection logs
FAST FOR STREAMING:Hotspot Shield has fast servers in 80+ countries. Super-fast proprietary VPN protocol. Military-grade AES-256 encryption. Kill switch. No usage logs. Works with Netflix, iPlayer, and more. 45-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full Hotspot Shield review.
Japanese VPN Methodology
Unfortunately, you can’t just use the first VPN you stumble across if you’re looking to securely use services and content from Japan. First off, there’s no guarantee that your provider will be fast or offer a non-blocked IP address. Here are some of the main qualities a suitable Japanese VPN should have:
- An expansive network: The more countries there are to choose from, the wider the range of platforms you can (theoretically) access. We also look for VPNs with lots of servers in high-traffic areas like Japan, since this helps prevent network congestion during peak times.
- Quick and reliable speeds: Your VPN could be the best at bypassing geo-restrictions but if it’s too slow, it’s useless. Our team regularly tests providers to see which VPNs are fastest, and crucially, we look at consistency as well. This way, there’s as little trial and error as possible.
- Versatility: We prefer Japanese VPNs that work with lots of services. If a provider is blocked by popular platforms like Netflix, Hulu, HBO Max, or Disney Plus, we probably won’t recommend it. Additionally, our top VPNs must allow torrenting, since there’s really no easy way to do so safely otherwise.
- Powerful security tools: 256-bit encryption, leak protection, a kill switch, and a no-logs policy are non-negotiable. These provide a solid level of protection against snoopers, but we welcome any additional tools that may be included.
- A seamless user experience: The best VPNs make it as easy to get connected as possible. Ideally, they’d offer multi-platform support, 24/7 live chat, and well-designed apps. Some even include task-specific servers while others have scrapped connection limits altogether.
This isn’t everything we look for in our top VPNs for Japan; to find out more, read our full VPN testing methodology post.
Japanese VPN FAQs
Are VPNs legal in Japan?
Yes, the use of VPNs in Japan is legal. There is little to no restriction or censorship of online content in Japan. However, it’s still wise to use a VPN in order to enhance your online privacy and anonymity as well as be able to access geo-restricted content outside Japan.
Can I have a Japanese IP address with a free VPN?
Yes, there are some free VPNs with servers in Japan. However, there are a number of reasons why we caution against the use of free VPNs. The first is that free VPNs simply offer poor performance when compared with quality paid VPNs. Free services are always popular and this means that free VPNs attract more users than their server network can handle. Too many users and too few servers means you’ll likely have a much slower browsing experience - streaming videos will likely involve plenty of buffering and lag which can obviously be a frustrating experience.
Another reason is that free VPNs are not as safe as the best VPNs. One of the major issues is that some free VPNs actually track activity and log your personal data before selling it to third parties. A VPN is supposed to provide you with greater online privacy, not compromise it. Furthermore, some free VPNs make their money by spamming you with ads. Unfortunately, some of these invasive ads can contain malware. It’s just not worth the risk.
What can I do with a Japanese IP address?
A Japanese IP address allows you to do the following:
- Stream geo-restricted movies and TV shows
- Unblock Japan-only websites
- Access financial services restricted to Japan
- Use public WiFi spots in a secure manner
- Hide your IP address, enhancing your internet privacy
Why use a VPN in Japan?
If you’re already in Japan, that means you have a Japanese IP address. For this reason, you might be wondering why you need a VPN. The answer is that a VPN can not only unblock geo-restricted content in Japan, it can also allow you to access content in almost any country. For example, VPNs with US servers allow you to unblock Netflix US, Amazon Prime Video, Hulu, HBO Now and more.
Of even greater importance is the security a VPN can provide. Even if you’re in Japan, it’s a good idea to have a VPN in order to protect your private information. Whether you’re using online banking services or simply browsing the web, having a different Japanese IP address can prevent your location and identity being leaked to unscrupulous third parties. A VPN also makes it much safer to use public WiFi spots that are often targeted by hackers.
We have a separate article covering the best VPNs for Japan.
Which VPNs provide dedicated Japanese IP addresses?
Unlike with a shared (or static) IP address, you don’t share a dedicated IP address with anyone. This offers various advantages such as increased speed when traffic load is high as well as reduced risk of being blacklisted. Unfortunately, very few free VPNs provide dedicated Japanese IP addresses. However, there are various VPNs that offer shared Japanese IP addresses. In order to get one, you simply need to connect to a VPN server in Japan.
Who owns IP addresses?
IP addresses are initially owned by ICANN (Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers). It is responsible for creating and distributing IP addresses to businesses and organizations. This includes your internet service provider (ISP) as well as Virtual Private Networks (VPNs). Public IP addresses are generally the property of the provider while private IP addresses are owned by the registered user.
Can an IP address reveal identity?
An IP address on its own doesn’t reveal your identity. However, it can reveal your general location. Fortunately, this is not specific. When an IP address can reveal more about you is when combined with further data such as your browsing history. By using a VPN and obtaining a different IP address from a server in another location, you can enjoy improved online privacy and anonymity.
Why is pocket WiFi so popular in Japan?
There are a number of reasons why pocket WiFi (or mobile WiFi) is popular in Japan, especially with tourists. In particular, it’s a convenient way to have internet access while on the go. You can use pocket WiFi to connect any device, be it a smartphone, laptop, or tablet. Further advantages of using pocket WiFi in Japan include competitive pricing, generous data plans, and strong coverage.
Can I get an IP address from Tokyo?
Yes, you can get an IP address from Tokyo. You can use a VPN like NordVPN to do this as they have servers in Tokyo. Use the NordVPN app on your phone or computer and select Tokyo from the list of servers. This is useful if you want to access websites that are only available in Japan or if you want to avoid censorship.
How will I know if my location has been changed to Japan?
When you connect to a VPN server in Japan, your IP address and location will be changed to Japan as a result. This is reflected in the server location shown within your VPN app. However, you can make absolutely sure of this by going to our IP address Check tool. There you will see your new VPN IP address and its corresponding location (which should be in Japan). As an alternative to this, whatismyip.com is equally easy to use and provides the same information.