Netflix Spain might not measure up to other countries’ catalogs of TV shows and movies, but that doesn’t mean there are no gems to be found in the Spanish version of the world’s largest premium streaming service. Netflix is ramping up its Spanish-language content, including titles like Las Chicas del Cable (Cable Girls), Club de Cuervos, and the upcoming original show Elite. You can also find a handful of English language TV shows and movies not available in other countries.
Netflix Spain users can take advantage of Spanish-language subtitles and dubbing, as well.
Subscribers who attempt to watch Spain’s version of Netflix from outside the country, however, will be automatically redirected to the local version and limited to that countries archive of shows and movies. In order to access Netflix Spain from outside of the country, you need a Spain IP address. An IP address is a string of numbers and decimals unique to your device that indicates your location.
The best way to get a Spanish IP address is to connect to a VPN. Short for Virtual Private Network, a VPN encrypts all of a device’s internet traffic and routes it through an intermediary server in a location of your choosing. This masks your real IP address with that of the server, allowing you to access content only available in that country. In this case, you would connect to a server in Spain.
Sadly, Netflix started blocking connections from known VPN servers back in 2016. Attempting to watch a show or movie through a blacklisted VPN results in the following error message:
“Algo salió mal… Error de streaming. Parece que estás utilizando un desbloqueador o proxy. Desactiva cualquiera de estos servicios e inténtalo de nuevo.”
Or, in English:
“Whoops, something went wrong… Streaming error. You seem to be using an unblocker or proxy. Please turn off any of these services and try again.”
Now only a handful of VPNs are capable of unblocking Netflix at all, and even fewer can bypass the firewall around Netflix Spain in particular. We’ve done the heavy lifting for you and tested over a dozen VPNs. We drew up the following list of the best VPNs for Spain based on the following criteria:
- Operates servers in Spain that unblock Netflix
- Fast and stable connections for uninterrupted and high-quality video streams
- Responsive and competent customers service
- Compatible with multiple types of devices
Note that we only tested these VPNs with Netflix Spain in a desktop web browser. We cannot vouch for whether or not they work with the Netflix app on Android, iOS, and media consoles.
At least one of NordVPN’s Spain servers unblocks Netflix in a web browser. It took a bit of server hopping to find the right one, but after some trial and error, we were able to stream Netflix Spain from abroad. NordVPN also unblocks Netflix US, UK, Australia, Brazil, Italy, India, Netherlands, and Germany. Subscribers can also access other geo-locked streaming sites like Hulu, BBC iPlayer, and HBO Now while overseas.
NordVPN operates more than 1,100 servers around the world. It holds to a true zero logs policy, so no information about what or how the VPN is used is recorded. Military-grade encryption is built into the app. A single subscription allows users to connect up to six devices at the same time.
Apps are available for Windows, MacOS, iOS, and Android.
Read our full NordVPN review.
PrivateVPN is smaller and younger than most of its counterparts, but it’s consistently been able to one-up the veterans when it comes to unblocking Netflix. Connecting to the Spain server and streaming Netflix took minimal effort and worked seamlessly. Speeds are great, too, so you can stream uninterrupted and in high quality. PrivateVPN also unblocks Netflix US, Italy, France, and Brazil, according to our recent tests.
And it’s not just adept at unblocking Netflix. PrivateVPN packs a no logs policy, top notch encryption, a kill switch, and DNS leak protection into its apps. You can connect up to five devices simultaneously on just one account.
Apps are available for Windows, MacOS, iOS, and Android.
Read our full PrivateVPN review.
Hide My Ass unblocks Netflix Spain using one of its two locations in the country. Note that we did have to disable IPv6 on our Windows 10 computer to get it to work; see the video below for instructions on how to do that. We were also able to unblock Spanish Netflix from abroad on the Android app. HMA is one of the faster VPNs around, so you should have no issues with buffering. HMA also unblocks Netflix in the US and UK, as well as a handful of other streaming services including BBC iPlayer and Hulu.
Beyond unblocking, HMA packs strong encryption, a huge range of servers and locations, DNS leak protection, and an app-specific kill switch. Live chat support is available should you encounter any issues.
Apps are available for Windows, MacOS, iOS, and Android. You may connect up to five devices at a time on a single plan.
Read our full Hide My Ass review.
Can I use a free VPN to watch Netflix Spain
Finding a free VPN service that can unblock Netflix Spain is highly improbable. Free VPNs just don’t have the resources to combat Netflix’s war on proxies, and most have given up.
We generally recommend our readers steer clear of free VPNs. VPNs cost money to operate, and free ones tend to monetize by sacrificing users’ privacy. They can monitor your activity, insert ads onto web pages, and/or inject tracking cookies into your browser. All of these are bad for your privacy. All too often shady VPN apps are responsible for spreading malware, too.
The few safe and private free VPN services tend to have strict data caps or restrict bandwidth, which means low-quality video and a lot of buffering. Server selection is far more limited as well.
If you want to unblock Netflix in any country, you’re going to want a paid provider.
VPNs that don’t work with Netflix Spain
The following VPNs do not unblock Netflix Spain, determined either through our testing or by their own admission:
- Hotspot Shield
- Private Internet Access (PIA)
Keep in mind that the vast majority of VPNs do not unblock Netflix at all in any country. These are just a few we tested or that might turn up in Google results.
Still getting the Netflix proxy error? Try this
If you’ve subscribed to one of the VPNs we recommended in this article but still get the Netflix proxy error when you try to watch a video, try the following steps:
- If you’re logged into any Google accounts, including the one on Chrome browser, log out of them.Google caches IP addresses, which can reveal your actual location.
- Disable GPS and any other location services on your computer, smartphone, or browser. If you’ve given Netflix permission to see your location in the past, you’ll need to toggle this off in your browser settings.
- Clear your browser’s cookies, cache, and temp files. Learn how to clear your cache here, and how to clear your cookies here.
- Disable IPv6. This is particularly useful for Windows 10 users. You can turn IPv6 off on your Wifi Properties. You may need to restart your device afterward.
- Flush your DNS cache. In Windows, run Command Prompt in Administrator mode and typing
- Change your device’s time zone to the country’s in which you’re trying to access Netflix. Spain has two time zones: UTC+0 and UTC+1.
- If you are connected to a wifi network and have access to the router, rename the wifi network (SSID). Append “_nomap” at the end (no quotes). For example: “comparitech_nomap”. This will opt your wifi network out of Google’s geolocation services. You will need to reconnect your device to the new network in order to regain internet access.
- Disconnect and reconnect to the selected server location to obtain a new IP address.