Netflix España (or Netflix Spain) may not measure up to other countries’ catalogs of TV shows and movies, but there are still some gems to be found. Unfortunately for Spanish subscribers, many of these are unavailable in other countries’ libraries. On the plus side, it’s still possible to stream Netflix Spain while traveling in other countries, as long as you use a Virtual Private Network (VPN).
A VPN encrypts all of a device’s internet traffic and routes it through an intermediary server in a location of your choosing. This masks your real IP address with that of the server, allowing you to access content only available in that country. In this case, you would connect to a server in Spain in order to receive a Spanish IP address.
Sadly, Netflix actively blocks connections from known VPN servers. Attempting to watch a show or movie with a blacklisted IP address results in the following error message:
“Algo salió mal… Error de streaming. Parece que estás utilizando un desbloqueador o proxy. Desactiva cualquiera de estos servicios e inténtalo de nuevo.”
Or, in English:
“Whoops, something went wrong… Streaming error. You seem to be using an unblocker or proxy. Please turn off any of these services and try again.”
Now only a handful of VPNs work with Netflix at all, and even fewer can securely access Netflix Spain in particular. We’ve done the heavy lifting for you and tested over a dozen VPNs. For those that haven’t got time to read the whole article, here’s a summary of the best VPNs for Netflix Spain:
- NordVPN: Vast server network with servers in Spain that are perfect for streaming Spanish Netflix. First-class security and privacy features. Easy to set up and get going. Includes a 30-day money-back guarantee.
- Surfshark: Best budget provider. Decent speeds, no connection limit, and tight security.
- ExpressVPN: Operates a vast network of servers and takes privacy very seriously.
- PrivateVPN: Not as large a network, but its Spanish servers had no issues with Netflix. Privacy and security features are solid.
- Hide My Ass: Works well with Netflix but only has a few servers in Spain and needs some manual tweaking to get it working.
WANT TO TRY THE TOP VPN RISK FREE?
NordVPN is offering a fully-featured risk-free 30-day trial if you sign up at this page. You can use the VPN rated #1 for Netflix with no restrictions for a month—great if you want to watch your favorite Spanish content as you travel.
There are no hidden terms—just contact support within 30 days if you decide NordVPN isn't right for you and you'll get a full refund. Start your NordVPN trial here.
How to watch Netflix España from anywhere
Setting up a VPN to access Spanish Netflix from abroad is simple. Just follow our step-by-step guide below.
Here’s how to watch Spanish Netflix (shows & movies) from anywhere:
- Sign up with a VPN that offers servers in Spain. We particularly recommend NordVPN.
- Download and install the VPN app or browser extension for your device.
- Open the VPN app or browser extension and connect to a server in Spain. This will provide you with a Spanish IP address for watching Netflix abroad.
- Go to Netflix and login to your account.
- You should now be able to play videos on Netflix España! If you’re still encountering restrictions, try clearing your browser’s cookies.
The best VPNs to watch Spanish Netflix – at a glance
We’ve compared the most important features for the top VPNs here. Prefer to read the in-depth reviews? Start with NordVPN – our #1 choice for Netflix España.
|No value||NordVPN||Surfshark||ExpressVPN||PrivateVPN||Hide My Ass VPN|
|Website||NordVPN.com||Surfshark.com||ExpressVPN.com||PrivateVPN.com||HideMyAss.com||Ranking for Netflix España||1||2||3||4||5||Servers in Spain||Avg Speed (Europe)||100+ Mbps||100+ Mbps||100+ Mbps||41 Mbps||100+ Mbps||Popular Sites Unblocked||95%||88%||86%||85%||30%||Unblocks Netflix (Regions Tested)||US, UK, Germany, Hong Kong, South Africa, and more||12/28||10+ libraries including US, UK, Japan, Canada, India, France, and Germany||Simultaneous Connections||6||Unlimited||5||10||5 or 10 (depending on plan)|
|Best deal (per month)||$3.19|
SAVE 61% + 3 month FREE
Get 2 Months FREE with a 2-year plan
SAVE: 49% on the annual plan
SAVE 85% on the three year plan
Get 75% off the 36 month plan
The best VPNs to watch Netflix España
We drew up the following list of the best VPNs for Spain based on the following criteria:
- Operates servers in Spain that work with Netflix
- Fast and stable connections for uninterrupted and high-quality video streams
- Responsive and competent customers service
- Compatible with multiple types of streaming devices
If you’d like to know more, you can refer to our methodology below the reviews.
Here’s our list of the best VPNs for watching Netflix Spain from anywhere:
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
NordVPN is our top choice for Netflix Spain. It’s among the fastest VPNs we’ve tested, and its servers reliably work with Netflix Spain, among other libraries. Not only that, but this provider operates more than 5,000 servers around the world, dozens of which are located in Spain. You can also use NordVPN to stream Spanish TV channels from abroad including Antena 3 and Telecinco.
With a single NordVPN subscription, you’ll be able to connect up to six devices at the same time. This is a true no-logs service, as proven by its no-logs policy which has been independently audited. It’s also highly secure thanks to military-grade encryption, protection from DNS and IPv6 leaks, and a kill switch. You can even connect to specialty MultiHop servers for an extra layer of protection.
NordVPN apps can be downloaded for Windows, Mac, Linux, Android, iOS, and Amazon Fire TV. You can also find browser extensions for Chrome, Edge, and Firefox. Manual setup allows you to use NordVPN with compatible wifi routers.
- Operates more than 60 servers in Spain, no issues securely accessing Netflix Spain
- Superfast and reliable servers for HD streaming
- Customer service available via 24/7 live chat
- Strong encryption and no logs make for top security and privacy
- Easy-to-use apps for all major platforms
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- Desktop app takes some getting used to
BEST VPN FOR NETFLIX ESPAÑA:NordVPN is our top choice. Top performer for streaming and torrenting. Strong privacy and security features and allows up to 6 devices to be used simultaneously from one account. Includes a 30-day money-back guarantee so you can try it out risk-free.
Read our full NordVPN review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
Surfshark is a low-cost VPN that makes streaming easy. It can securely access a range of Netflix libraries, including Netflix Spain, plus other popular sites such as Amazon Prime Video and Disney+. It has ample speeds for streaming and operates a growing network of more than 3,000 servers in over 100 countries. What’s more, it allows unlimited simultaneous connections per account.
Security and privacy features abound and include military-grade encryption, DNS and IPv6 leak protection, and a kill switch. Surfshark sticks to a strict no-logs policy and you can also connect to a MultiHop server for two or more layers of encryption. While the Surfshark apps couldn’t be easier to use, you may occasionally require help. Live chat and email support is at hand 24 hours a day.
There are apps available for Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, Linux, and Amazon Fire TV. Browser extensions are offered for Chrome and Firefox. However, using Surfshark with a compatible router requires manual configuration.
- Wide network of servers in 100+ countries including Spain
- Works well with Netflix Spain
- Keeps no logs
- Kill switch on all platforms
- Unlimited devices
- Some features cost extra
BEST BUDGET PICK:Surfshark is a solid all-rounder that offers strong security and unlimited connections. Plans include a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full Surfshark review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
ExpressVPN is another strong choice for a Netflix Spain VPN. It’s exceptionally fast and offers unlimited bandwidth, so you should be able to watch without interruption. ExpressVPN can also be used to securely stream Cuatro, La 1 and more. Overall, this VPN provider has more than 3,000 servers for you to choose from. These servers can be found in 94 countries worldwide.
This provider doesn’t maintain any user-identifying logs and protects your data with 256-bit AES encryption, a kill switch, and DNS, IPv6, and WebRTC leak protection. You can use the service on up to 8 of your streaming devices simultaneously. ExpressVPN provides live chat and email support which is available around the clock should you need any help getting set up or when using the VPN.
ExpressVPN has desktop (Windows, Mac, and Linux) and mobile (Android and iOS) apps as well as an app for Fire TV. It also has Chrome, Firefox, and Edge browser extensions. ExpressVPN further sets itself apart with its custom router firmware.
- Reliable servers in 94 countries, including Spain
- Fast enough to play HD video without buffering
- Comprehensive security and privacy features
- Offers 24/7 live chat
- Well-designed mobile and desktop apps
- Slightly higher cost than others
- Streaming servers aren’t labeled
FEATURE-RICH VPN:ExpressVPN is a great streaming VPN. It has fast speeds, a large network, and a great range of security features. Subscriptions come with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full ExpressVPN review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
PrivateVPN has long been an excellent option for bypassing the geographic restrictions of streaming services. Not only does it work with multiple Netflix libraries (including Netflix Spain), it also lets you stream Spanish TV. Speeds are more than fast enough for streaming in 1080p HD without lag or buffering. Indeed, PrivateVPN doesn’t throttle user bandwidth.
With PrivateVPN, you’ll be able to secure as many as 10 devices at the same time. A subscription includes live chat and email support and even free remote help and installation. This makes it a highly suitable choice for VPN novices. We particularly appreciate PrivateVPN’s no-logs policy because it doesn’t even keep connection logs. You can also expect high-end encryption, a kill switch, and DNS leak protection.
PrivateVPN has apps for the following: Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, and Fire TV. You can also use it with Linux and select wifi routers but this requires manual setup.
- Operates fast and reliable servers in Madrid
- Works well with Spanish Netflix
- Strong security and privacy features and decent speeds
- Use up to 10 devices simultaneously
- Live chat is not around the clock
- Newer network that is still growing, so fewer servers to choose from
GREAT SPEEDS:PrivateVPN is a good family choice. Speeds were surprisingly good at this end of the market. Could do with having more servers and lacks 24/7 support. 30-day money back guarantee.
Read our full PrivateVPN review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
Hide My Ass has a few servers that work with Netflix Spain. It also worked with BBC iPlayer and Hulu in testing. This VPN provider’s network is made up of approximately 1,000+ servers. What’s particularly impressive is that it has servers in most countries (some of which are virtual servers). When it comes to streaming, HMA makes our list of the fastest VPNs on the market, averaging 248 Mbps in our latest speed tests.
This is a highly secure service that uses military-grade encryption, a kill switch, and DNS leak protection. HMA also doesn’t keep any logs by which you can be identified as a user. It’s possible to secure up to five devices simultaneously (or 10 with a family plan). Last but not least, live chat and email support is available should you need any help when setting up or trying to access Netflix España.
- Provides secure access to Netflix Spain from abroad
- Servers are fast enough for streaming without buffering
- Solid security features and privacy considerations
- Slightly more expensive than some rivals
- Some data-logging concerns
User Friendly Apps:HideMyAss! works well with Netflix and has great security features but doesn’t match other providers for privacy. A bit pricey. 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full Hide My Ass review.
Still getting the Netflix proxy error? Try this
If you’ve subscribed to one of the VPNs we recommended in this article but still get the Netflix proxy error when you try to watch a video, try the following steps:
- If you’re logged into any Google accounts, including the one on Chrome browser, log out of them. Google caches IP addresses, which can reveal your actual location.
- Disable GPS and any other location services on your computer, smartphone, or browser. If you’ve given Netflix permission to see your location in the past, you’ll need to toggle this off in your browser settings.
- Clear your browser’s cookies, cache, and temp files. Learn how to clear your cache here, and how to clear your cookies here.
- Disable IPv6. This is particularly useful for Windows 10 users. You can turn IPv6 off on your Wifi Properties. You may need to restart your device afterward.
- Flush your DNS cache. In Windows, run Command Prompt in Administrator mode and typing
- Change your device’s time zone to the country’s in which you’re trying to access Netflix. Spain has two time zones: UTC+0 and UTC+1.
- If you are connected to a wifi network and have access to the router, rename the wifi network (SSID). Append “_nomap” at the end (no quotes). For example: “comparitech_nomap”. This will opt your wifi network out of Google’s geolocation services. You will need to reconnect your device to the new network in order to regain internet access.
- Disconnect and reconnect to the selected server location to obtain a new IP address.
Methodology: Finding the best VPNs for Netflix Spain
You can’t just use any VPN to securely access Netflix Spain. In fact, very few work reliably with this content library. To make matters worse, some are simply too slow to be of any real use. That’s why we’ve put together a list of must-have criteria for the services we recommend. That way, you’ll know that whichever you choose, it’ll be able to handle just about anything you throw at it. Here’s what we looked for in the best VPNs for Netflix Espana:
- Servers in Spain: This is the easy part. Without Spanish servers, you can’t get a Spanish IP address and can’t access Spanish services. Ideally, there’d be lots to choose from, in a variety of Spanish cities.
- High speeds: Streaming uses quite a bit of bandwidth, so fast speeds are essential. We regularly speed test the leading VPNs to see which is currently the fastest, and monitor how their performance has changed over time.
- Great streaming potential: Obviously, we need VPNs that work with Netflix Spain. However, we also look for those that can help you stream platforms like Antena 3, La 1, and Cuatro. This ensures that you’ll always have options for things to watch.
- Strong security: VPNs are designed to keep you safe, so we can’t compromise on security. At a minimum, we require 256-bit encryption, a kill switch, and protection against DNS and IPv6 leaks, plus a no-logging policy.
- User-friendly apps: Not everyone is a tech expert. Luckily, the services above are all designed with beginners in mind. They provide support over live chat (often 24/7) and some even have special servers for streaming Netflix Spain.
- Fair pricing: Needless to say, we’ll never recommend a service that charges more than it’s worth. Additionally, whenever we recommend a VPN, we’ll always tell you about any discounts or money-back guarantees so that you never pay more than you have to.
Looking to find out more? You can read all about our VPN testing process.
Streaming Spanish Netflix: Frequently Asked Questions
Can I use a free VPN to watch Netflix Spain?
Finding a free VPN service that works with Netflix Spain is highly improbable. The few safe and private free VPN services tend to have strict data caps or restrict bandwidth, which means low-quality video and a lot of buffering. Server selection is far more limited as well.
We generally recommend our readers steer clear of free VPNs. VPNs cost money to operate, and free ones tend to monetize by sacrificing users’ privacy. They can monitor your activity, insert ads onto web pages, and/or inject tracking cookies into your browser. All of these are bad for your privacy. All too often shady VPN apps are responsible for spreading malware, too.
If you want to safely stream Netflix as you travel you’re going to want a paid provider.
Does every VPN work with Netflix Spain?
Most VPN providers try to provide reliable access to a handful of Netflix libraries, most commonly Netflix US and Netflix UK. For this reason, those that work with Netflix Espana are the exception, not the rule. The following VPNs cannot help you securely stream Netflix Spain:
- Private Internet Access (PIA)
What can I watch on Spanish Netflix?
The Spanish Netflix library currently contains over 5,000 titles, so there’s not exactly a shortage of things to watch. Below, we’ve listed just a small handful of movies that are exclusive to Netflix Spain:
- Si yo fuera rico
- Aqui no hay quien viva
- Un Paso Adelante
- The Dead Mother
- Butterfly Wings
- How to Be a Good Wife