Travelers already have to contend with a language barrier, currency exchange rates, and public transport; the last thing they need is to find out that their usual services don’t work outside of Spain. There is a simple solution to this problem, though: just get a Spanish IP address and you’ll be able to use platforms like Telecinco, RTVE, ATRESplayer, and Netflix España from abroad. What’s more, a reputable Virtual Private Network (VPN) will also encrypt your traffic, shielding your activities from anyone who might be monitoring the network.
How to get a Spanish IP address from anywhere
The good news is that VPNs are really quite easy to use. Below, we’ll let you know how to get an IP address from Spain in a matter of minutes:
- Start by deciding which VPN you’d like to use (we recommend NordVPN).
- Download your provider’s app and install it on any device you use regularly. You’ll usually be allowed to secure at least five devices at once, but the exact limit varies from one service to another.
- Open the app, log in, and choose one of the available Spanish servers.
- You’re now browsing with a Spanish IP address and should be able to access Spain-exclusive services from anywhere. Having trouble? Clearing your browser’s cookies and cache should fix the most common problems, but if this doesn’t work, we’d recommend getting in touch with your VPN’s support team in order to receive Spanish content.
WANT TO TRY THE TOP VPN RISK FREE?
NordVPN is offering a fully-featured risk-free 30-day trial if you sign up at this page. You can use the VPN rated #1 for getting a Spanish IP address for a full month with no restrictions—great if you want to stream Spanish TV on a short trip out of the country.
There are no hidden terms—just contact support within 30 days if you decide NordVPN isn't right for you and you'll get a full refund. Start your NordVPN trial here.
We know how valuable your time is, which is why we’ve put together an at-a-glance guide to the best VPNs for getting a Spanish IP address. Of course, if any of these services catch your eye, you can always scroll down for a more in-depth review.
- NordVPN: Our #1 VPN for a Spanish IP address. Has over 240 servers to choose from in Spain and leads the pack in terms of security. This no-logs VPN is perfect for streaming and even offers a risk-free 30-day money-back guarantee.
- Surfshark: The best low-cost VPN for getting a Spain IP address. Has exceptionally strong security and privacy features and no connection limit at all. Top of the table for speed.
- ExpressVPN: A fantastic everyday VPN. Blends impressive speeds and powerful security features with the ability to unblock several popular Spanish streaming services.
- CyberGhost: Boasts an unmatched 800+ Spanish servers. User-friendly apps and pre-configured security make it as easy as possible to stay safe and watch Spanish TV abroad.
- IPVanish: This no-logs VPN has 50+ Spanish servers and works with plenty of geo-blocked services. Known for its strong security and ability to secure all of your devices simultaneously.
- PrivateVPN: A privacy-focused service with minimal impact on your connection speeds. Excels at getting around regional restrictions. Fantastic set of security tools built-in.
- Atlas VPN: Atlas VPN is easy to use, fast enough for HD streaming and highly secure.
It’s not just enough to find a VPN with servers in Spain. We also have to be able to ensure that the services we recommend can handle everyday tasks like streaming, torrenting, gaming, and, most importantly, letting you browse the web privately. That’s why we drew up a list of criteria that the best VPNs for getting a Spanish IP address had to meet:
- Offers access to at least one server in Spain (the more, the better)
- Lets you use Spain-only services like ATRESplayer abroad
- Has as small an impact on your connection speeds as possible
- Comes with plenty of security tools, including 256-bit encryption
- Doesn’t log any data that could be traced back to you personally
- Provides apps for a wide range of devices and operating systems
The best VPN to get a Spanish IP address – at a glance
We’ve compared the most important features for the top VPNs here. Prefer to read the in-depth reviews? Start with NordVPN – our #1 choice for getting a Spanish IP.
|Website||NordVPN.com||Surfshark.com||ExpressVPN.com||Cyberghost.com||IPVanish.com||PrivateVPN.com||atlasvpn.com||Ranking for Spain||1||2||3||4||5||6||7||Total number of servers||5,000+||3,200||Undisclosed||9,073||2,200+||200+||750+||Devices Supported||Windows, MacOS, iOS, Android, Linux, Smart TVs||Windows, MacOS, iOS, Android, Linux, Amazon Fire TV||Windows, MacOS, iOS, Android, Linux, Smart TVs, Routers||Windows, MacOS, Linux (command line), iOS, Android, Smart TVs Routers||Windows, MacOS, iOS, Android||Windows, MacOS, iOS, Android, Linux, Amazon Fire TV, Routers||Windows, MacOS, iOS, Android, Linux, Android TV, Amazon Fire TV||Avg Speed (Mbps)||100+ Mbps||100+ Mbps||100+ Mbps||100+ Mbps||100+ Mbps||39 Mbps||100+ Mbps||Popular Sites Unblocked||95%||88%||86%||85%||70%||85%||93%|
|Best deal (per month)||$3.29|
SAVE up to 63% + 3 months FREE
Get 2 Months FREE with a 2-year plan
SAVE: 49% on the annual plan
SAVE 84% on the 2 year plan + 3 months FREE
SAVE 72% on the 2 year plan
SAVE 85% on the three year plan
SAVE 85% on a 2 year plan
What are the best VPNs for getting a Spanish IP address?
Now, we’ll examine each of our top picks in more detail. Let’s jump right in:
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
NordVPN is our first choice for anyone trying to access their usual services outside of Spain. It has over 60 Spanish servers to choose from and works flawlessly with popular streaming platforms, including Netflix Spain, RTVE, and Telecinco. Additionally, it’s consistently one of the top performers in our speed tests, so as long as your connection is half-decent, you shouldn’t have any issues torrenting or watching live TV. Users can connect up to six of their devices at once.
This provider has made a clear commitment to user privacy, undergoing regular audits to back up its no-log claims and recently introducing its own WireGuard-based protocol, NordLynx. Further, its apps include a wide selection of security tools such as an app-specific kill switch, protection against IPv6, DNS, and WebRTC leaks, 256-bit encryption, and automatic tracker-blocking. If you run into any problems, just get in touch; support is available 24/7 over email and live chat.
NordVPN has its own MacOS, iOS, Android, Windows, and Linux apps. What’s more, it can be manually installed on a huge selection of wireless routers for network-wide protection.
- Has 60+ speedy Spanish servers
- Unblocks Telecinco, ATRESplayer, and similar services with ease
- One of the strongest security offerings on the market
- Regularly verified no-logging policy
- Desktop apps take two clicks to disconnect
BEST VPN FOR A SPANISH IP ADDRESS:NordVPN is our top choice. It’s secure, committed to privacy, and able to unblock a wide range of Spanish streaming services. Still not convinced? You can try it out risk-free thanks to its 30-day money-back guarantee.
Interested? Why not check out our complete NordVPN review?
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
Surfshark is our top low-cost option. It has servers in Madrid, Barcelona, and Valencia, plus it lets you secure as many devices as you like — perfect for families on vacation. This VPN unblocks services like Netflix Spain, RTVE, and Movistar and provides some of the highest speeds we’ve seen (although, as ever, these are limited by your base connection speed).
Security-conscious users will find a lot to like in Surfshark’s apps. To begin with, there’s 256-bit AES encryption, which is considered effectively uncrackable at the moment. A kill switch, DNS and IPv6 leak protection, and ad-blocker are also included, as is a NoBorders feature that’s designed to sidestep online censorship in countries like China. Surfshark follows a strict no-logs policy and accepts three kinds of cryptocurrency. A 24/7 help desk provides support via email and live chat.
Surfshark offers Android, Windows, iOS, MacOS, and Linux apps. Notably, it now fully supports Apple’s M1 chip, so should be more reliable (and less battery-intensive) on MacOS. Select routers are supported too, though you’ll have to follow manual setup instructions.
- Ranks very highly for speed
- Excellent unblocking capabilities
- Top-notch security features
- Connect as many devices as you like
- Can be tricky finding a specific option in the menu
BEST BUDGET VPN:Surfshark is our budget pick, but it’s more than capable of going head-to-head with pricier rivals. Not only is it packed with powerful security tools, but it keeps no logs, and has no connection limit. Further, all plans include a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Find answers to any lingering questions in our full Surfshark review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
ExpressVPN would be an excellent choice for any traveler due to it having servers in an unmatched 94 countries (including Spain). Not only that, but it’s one of the faster VPNs we’ve tested, most recently averaging 135 Mbps on a 1 Gbps connection. If you’d like to live stream Spanish TV abroad, you’re in good hands; ExpressVPN reliably unblocks ATRESplayer, Telecinco, and Netflix to name but a few services. Up to five devices can be protected simultaneously.
This VPN keeps your traffic safe from snoopers with a combination of 256-bit AES encryption, a kill switch (which it calls “Network Lock”), and protection against DNS and IPv6 leaks. It also has its own protocol, named Lightway, and a split tunneling feature that lets you choose specific apps to bypass the VPN entirely. ExpressVPN doesn’t store any data that could identify you personally, but you can always pay in Bitcoin for added anonymity. Support staff are ready to help 24/7, either over email or live chat.
ExpressVPN users have the choice of Android, Linux, iOS, Windows, and MacOS apps. The service’s custom router firmware just received an update too, making it more reliable and user-friendly than ever before.
- One of the faster VPNs we’ve tested
- Easily unblocks geo-blocked Spanish sites almost everywhere
- Strong commitment to security
- Pay anonymously with Bitcoin
- Slightly higher cost than others
GREAT EVERYDAY VPN:ExpressVPN is a reliable, versatile service that just works. Whether you’re looking to live stream RTVE or simply protect your privacy while on a public hotspot, its Spanish servers are a great choice. This provider even offers a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Take a look at our in-depth ExpressVPN review.
Money-back guarantee: 45 DAYS
CyberGhost makes it as easy as possible to stream Spanish TV abroad by providing over 100 servers in the country. Of course, as this VPN has over 7,000 servers in total worldwide, and some optimized for unblocking stubborn streaming platforms, there’s a good chance you’ll be able to access just about anything you have in mind. With decent speeds, unlimited bandwidth, and a seven-connection limit, this novice-friendly VPN certainly has plenty to offer.
One of the best things about this VPN is that it comes pre-configured, meaning you don’t have to be a tech expert to stay safe online. In other words, you’re protected with 256-bit encryption, IPv6 and DNS leak protection, a kill switch, and tracker-blocking from the moment you click connect. Later versions of the apps even let you use the WireGuard protocol, which is quickly becoming the “next big thing” in VPN security. CyberGhost logs no personally identifiable information and has a support team working around the clock to help with any issues.
CyberGhost provides user-friendly apps for iOS, Android, MacOS, Windows, and Linux devices. Select wireless routers are supported too, and the service’s website offers detailed configuration guides to help you out.
- More Spanish servers than any other provider in our list
- Excellent at bypassing strict geo-blocking
- Easy to use without compromising on security
- 24/7 live chat support
- Power-users may lament lack of advanced configuration options
100+ SPANISH SERVERS:CyberGhost is a natural choice since it has over 100 secure servers in Spain alone. Further, it’s able to unblock some of the country’s most popular streaming services and offers a generous 45-day money-back guarantee.
To find out more, read our full review of CyberGhost.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
IPVanish currently has a few dozen servers in Spain, with another 1,800 elsewhere in the world. This provider owns all of these outright, and recently made improvements to its network infrastructure with the goal of providing higher speeds than ever before. IPVanish has solid streaming credentials too, since it’s capable of unblocking platforms like Netflix, RTVE, and Telecinco outside of Spain. Best of all, it allows users to protect as many devices as they like.
When it comes to security, this is one service that isn’t satisfied with the bare minimum. Its apps include leak protection, a kill switch, 256-bit encryption, and the option to attempt to reconnect automatically any time your connection drops. There’s also a feature that can scramble your OpenVPN traffic and WireGuard support is slated to arrive some time this year. IPVanish is a no-logs provider so your privacy is in good hands. Live chat-based support is available any time you need it.
IPVanish provides Windows, MacOS, Android, and iOS apps. It can also be used on Linux systems and supported routers, though you’ll have to configure these manually.
- Its 50+ Spanish servers work with many popular streaming services
- Has a great reputation and a true no-logs policy
- No connection limit
- No Linux app
ZERO-LOG VPN:IPVanish is a great day-to-day VPN as it doesn’t log, impose a connection limit, or forbid you from torrenting. It also has over 50 Spanish servers, strong streaming potential, and a 30-day money-back guarantee, making it an even better option for travelers.
Read our comprehensive IPVanish review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
PrivateVPN has a fairly small network, with roughly 200 servers globally, and one in Spain. That said, it’s one of the faster services on the market, averaging 71 Mbps in our latest testing. What’s more, it’s able to access a huge range of region-locked services abroad. We were able to access ATRESplayer, Disney+, Netflix, and more with no problems at all. With up to six simultaneous connections permitted, users can secure all of their favorite devices at once.
You might have guessed from the name but this service is committed to privacy. It follows a true zero-logs policy and just recently became its own hosting provider and ISP, ensuring it has total control over your data at every step. Its apps aren’t short on security tools, either, boasting 256-bit encryption (with an option to use 128 bits for a small speed boost), a kill switch (on Windows), and protection against DNS, IPv6, and WebRTC leaks, plus a Stealth mode designed to let you hide the fact that you’re using a VPN at all.
PrivateVPN has apps for Android, iOS, MacOS, and Windows. It also offers step-by-step configuration guides for those looking to protect a Linux system or supported router.
- Very low impact on your speeds
- Specializes in bypassing regional restrictions
- Major emphasis on security and privacy
- Has just one Spanish server
- Live chat goes offline for a few hours each day
PERFECT FOR STREAMING:PrivateVPN spares no expense when it comes to keeping your data secure. Its self-owned Spanish server is generally quick and reliable, plus there’s a no-logs policy in place. This service includes a 30-day money-back guarantee.
For more information, consult our full PrivateVPN review.
7. Atlas VPN
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
AtlasVPN has one of the smaller networks on our list, with servers covering 40+ locations, including Spain. All plans include unlimited simultaneous connections, allowing you to connect as many devices as you’d like and share the plan with your friends.
Speeds are excellent across the network, and if you’re a streamer, speeds are boosted with the support of WireGuard. Unblocking is fantastic, evading restrictions to access services like Netflix US, BBC iPlayer, and Disney Plus from anywhere.
AtlasVPN doesn’t keep logs and uses 256-bit encryption to safeguard your connection. It offers a kill switch, multi-hop servers, a malware blocker, and built-in breach monitoring. All plans include a 30-day money-back guarantee.
- Has great WireGuard support
- Affordable long-term plans
- User-friendly apps
- Small server infrastructure
- No router support
AFFORDABLE AND USER-FRIENDLY:AtlasVPN is an excellent Spanish VPN with robust security features and unlimited device connections.
Check out the full AtlasVPN review.
Methodology: Finding the best VPNs for a Spanish IP address
Although it’s relatively easy to find a VPN that offers Spanish servers, there are a few other key things to consider when choosing which one to use. If you’re interested in streaming, for instance, you’ll have to consider things like server speed and reliability. To ensure that we only recommend the best possible VPNs for the job, we only considered those that performed well in all the following areas:
- Spanish servers: These are necessary so that the user can get a Spanish IP address. The more of these, the greater the chance you’ll be able to find one with low-load during peak times. Additionally, having lots to choose from means you won’t be out of luck when some go down for maintenance.
- Unblocking capabilities: If you’re trying to get an IP address from a specific country, you’re likely interested in streaming. We tested prospective recommendations against a wide range of services, including RTVE, ATRESplayer, and Netflix Spain to see how well they fared against Spanish streaming platforms.
- Speed: Every VPN will slow your connection down to some extent, but we perform regular speed tests to monitor which VPNs are the fastest and how they’ve improved over time. If a service has too large of an impact on your speeds, it doesn’t make the cut.
- Security: While traveling, you’re more likely to be using public hotspots, so security is of paramount importance. We only recommend services with 256-bit encryption, a kill switch, DNS and IPv6 leak protection, and no-logs policies. That said, we prioritize VPNs that go even further than this.
- Value for money: Plenty of VPNs charge more than they’re worth. To make sure you’re not paying more than you should be, we consider factors like long-term discounts, free trial periods, and how a service stacks up against its rivals.
- Ease of use: We only recommend VPNs that are easy enough for a complete novice to use. Of course, user-friendly apps are just the beginning: we also look for features that remove other usability roadblocks. These could be things like a lack of a connection limit, live chat-based support, or apps for less commonly-supported platforms like Linux or Amazon Firestick.
This is only a small part of the testing we perform. If you’re interested, we’ve written a post that goes into more detail and explains exactly how we test VPNs.
Are VPNs legal in my country?
Most countries don’t outright forbid the use of VPNs. After all, businesses around the world rely on this technology to allow remote workers to access company networks. However, there are a few countries, like China, Russia, and Iran, where citizens are only permitted to use government-approved VPNs. If there’s any doubt in your mind, we strongly encourage you to read up on your location’s laws before connecting to a VPN.
What can I do with a Spanish IP address?
The only real reason you’d need a Spanish IP address is to make someone think you’re in Spain. There are a few different ways this can help you. For instance, you’d be able to watch Spanish TV while visiting other countries, or prevent the people you play online games with from finding your location using your real IP address.
Can I get an IP address from Madrid?
Yes. Our top recommended VPN for getting an IP address in Spain has servers in Madrid. This means that you can easily use its apps to connect to an IP address from Madrid and use local Spanish services. Alternatively, you can try Surfshark, which has servers in Madrid, Barcelona, and Valencia. Or ExpressVPN, which has servers in Barcelona and Spain.
Which Spanish TV channels can I unblock with a VPN?
As soon as you connect to an IP address in Spain, you can watch any of the online Spanish TV streaming platforms that you would usually watch there. This includes AtresPlayer (Antena 3), Cuatro, Telecinco, Canal+, Movistar+, Eurosport, RTVE, La 1, La 2, Clan, 24 Horas, and Teledeporte.
How will I know if my IP address has been changed to Spain?
Your IP address will be changed to Spain from the moment you connect to a VPN server in Spain. This is usually made clear within the VPN app where you’ll be able to see your current server location as well as the IP address you’ve been assigned. However, if you want to make sure of this, you can always make use of our IP Address Check tool or whatismyip.com. Both show your current IP address and an estimated location. Needless to say, this should be in Spain.
Do I need a VPN if I already have an IP address in Spain?
Yes, you will still need a VPN service if you want to keep your online identity and activities private while in Spain. Even if you have an IP address in Spain, your ISP (or any other third party) can still track your web traffic and activities. A VPN service will encrypt all of your traffic and data so that no one else can see what you're doing online.
Can I get a Spanish IP address using a free VPN?
Free VPNs might seem to offer the best of both worlds. After all, who wouldn’t want to get the protection a VPN offers without having to pay anything? There are a few major compromises free providers tend to make, though, and these can have a huge impact on your experience. First, they tend to have very slow servers and low monthly usage limits, which is particularly troublesome if you were hoping to stream. Second, because there’s so much traffic coming from what’s usually a very small range of IP addresses, most major streaming platforms have no issues identifying and blocking free VPN servers.
Your security and privacy are worth considering as well. History has shown us that free providers often mislead users about the kind of logs they keep and their level of security. In other words, free services could be undermining your own security instead of improving it. For this reason, we urge our readers to do their research and consider the reputation, logging policy, and security credentials of a VPN before committing, instead of only thinking about the price.
What should I do if my IP address isn't changing when my VPN is on?
If your IP address isn't updating when you connect to your VPN, this means that the VPN is not working as it is supposed to. This may mean that the VPN is faulty and you need to change provider to a VPN that is free from IP leaks.
Not all VPNs offer a secure connection that works to conceal your IP address, so you must stick to a recommended provider from this guide. Our recommendations have all been tested and do not suffer from any IP, DNS, or WebRTC leaks that can give away your real location (reveal your real IP).
If you have subscribed to a recommended VPN, then it should work to change your IP address without any issues. You can check your IP address is updating correctly by using an IP address checking tool. When connected to the VPN, you should not be able to see your local (home) IP address in any of the results.
If for any reason you detect your home IP address or a DNS server that is controlled by your ISP, this means the VPN is leaking. If this is the case, you will need to uninstall the VPN and re-download it to make sure you have the latest version.
If this does not work, we recommend that you try using the VPN with a different protocol or on a different device. If the VPN works as expected on another device, contact the VPNs live chat support to get help with using it on the device that is failing to work.