There are plenty of Virtual Private Networks (VPNs) that provide servers in Madrid. However, not all are worth your time or money! That’s because many force you to compromise in some areas, be it speed, server locations, or security. However, the best VPNs for Madrid boast strong performance across the board. As such, you’ll be able to browse and stream from Madrid (and while traveling abroad) without restriction due to geo-blocking or performance problems.
When you use a VPN, your internet traffic is routed through an encrypted tunnel between your device and the server in question. This grants you greatly increased privacy and also allows you to access geo-restricted services from around the world while in Spain. This works both ways, though: if you’re abroad and looking to get a Madrid IP address just connect to a server in Madrid and you’ll be able to access Spanish content.
In this post, we’ll provide reviews of the best VPNs for Madrid to help you come to a decision. If you’re in a hurry, below is a quick rundown of each to save you some time.
Best VPNs for Madrid:
- NordVPN:The best VPN for Madrid. 60 servers in Madrid and 5,500 globally. Fast speeds and reliable streaming ability. Strict no-logs service with 24/7 support and specialty servers. Includes a risk-free 30-day money-back guarantee.
- Surfshark: Best value VPN. Unlimited devices per account. Works with Netflix, Cuatro, and more. Double VPN servers for extra security. 24/7 live chat support included.
- ExpressVPN: Fastest VPN we’ve tested. Ideal for streaming. Over 3,000 servers in 94 countries, Spain included. Excellent apps, 24/7 support, and secure with encryption.
- CyberGhost: Over 7,000 servers in 90 countries. 100 servers in Madrid and Barcelona. Use on 7 devices simultaneously. Protects privacy with a strict no-logs policy.
- IPVanish: 30 servers in Madrid. Works with Antena 3, Cuatro, and more. Unlimited simultaneous connections. Security includes encryption as well as a zero-logs policy.
- PrivateVPN: Servers across dozens of cities, Madrid included. Works with streaming services such as Netflix. No-logs VPN with user-friendly apps and fast customer support.
- Hotspot Shield: Securely access content in Spain and abroad. 1,800 servers in 80 countries. Stream Amazon Prime Video and RTVE lag-free. Includes 24/7 live chat support.
WANT TO TRY THE TOP VPN RISK FREE?
NordVPN is offering a fully-featured risk-free 30-day trial if you sign up at this page. You can use the VPN rated #1 for Madrid with no restrictions for a month - great if you want to get an IP address for Madrid.
There are no hidden terms - just contact support within 30 days if you decide NordVPN isn't right for you and you'll get a full refund. Start your NordVPN trial here.
There are thousands of VPNs to choose from. This makes choosing the best VPNs for Madrid all the more challenging. In order to come up with our shortlist, we looked for VPN services that provide all of the following features:
- Servers worldwide including in Madrid, Spain
- Fast server speeds and unlimited bandwidth
- Secures data with a high level of encryption
- Protects your privacy with a no-logs policy
- Beginner-friendly desktop and mobile apps
- Live chat and email support, ideally 24/7
Best VPNs for Madrid
Here’s our list of the best VPNs for Madrid:
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
NordVPN has as many as 60 servers in Madrid, Spain and nearly 5,500 in 59 countries worldwide. With such a large server network, it offers plenty of flexibility when it comes to securely accessing websites and services. This includes international streaming platforms such as Netflix as well as Spanish channels like Cuatro and Antena 3. Better still, NordVPN’s very fast servers and unlimited bandwidth means you won’t face issues such as lag or buffering.
This VPN provides specialty servers including those optimized for P2P file-sharing. It’s worth mentioning that NordVPN offers 24/7 support via live chat and email. There’s also a high level of security with 256-bit AES encryption, DNS and IPv6 leak protection, and a kill switch. A strict no-logs policy serves to protect your privacy. You can even use NordVPN’s Double VPN and Onion Over VPN servers to get an extra layer of encryption.
You can secure up to six devices at once via the apps for Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, Linux, and Android TV. Browser extensions can be downloaded for both Chrome and Firefox. Manual installation is required for use with compatible routers.
- 60 servers in Madrid, Spain and over 5,500 worldwide
- Offers fast server speeds combined with unlimited bandwidth
- Great for Spanish TV as well as Netflix
- Includes specialty P2P and Double VPN servers
- Live chat and email support are available 24 hours a day
- Allows you to browse anonymously thanks to its strict no-logs policy
- Suffered a data breach in 2018
BEST VPN FOR MADRID:NordVPN is our top pick. 60 servers in Madrid and 5,500 worldwide. Fast speeds for streaming and torrenting. Works with Netflix, RTVE, and more. Strict no-logs policy and Double VPN servers. 24/7 support available. Thanks to its 30-day money-back guarantee, you can try NordVPN risk-free.
Read our full NordVPN review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
Surfshark provides servers in Madrid as well as the cities of Barcelona and Valencia, making it easy to get a Spanish IP address. You can then enjoy fast browsing speeds and unthrottled bandwidth. This VPN has over 3,000 servers in 65 countries in total so can also be used to securely access international streaming services as you travel. Note that it works with Netflix and BBC iPlayer, among others. One of Surfshark’s best features is that it allows unlimited simultaneous connections per account.
Aside from solid performance (it averaged 71 Mbps in our tests), Surfshark is also highly secure. For starters, it uses 256-bit AES encryption to keep your data safe. You can also expect protection from DNS and IPv6 leaks, plus a kill switch. Its MultiHop (Double VPN) servers provide yet another layer of security should you need it, and there’s a strict no-logs policy in place. Overall, this is a great value VPN with 24/7 live chat and email support and apps that are highly suitable for beginners.
Connect to a server in Madrid with Surfshark apps for Windows, Mac, Linux, Android, iOS, or Amazon Fire TV. Alternatively, browser extensions are offered for Chrome and Firefox and select routers can be configured manually.
- Offers servers in multiple cities in Spain including Madrid
- Stream safely while in Spain
- Connect as many devices as you want at the same time
- Highly secure thanks to encryption and Double VPN servers
- Contact support 24/7 via live chat and email
- Switching servers is occasionally slow
BEST VALUE VPN:Surfshark has servers in three Spanish cities, Madrid included. Works with Netflix and Antena 3. Connect as many devices as you want at once. Highly secure thanks to a strict no-logs policy and Double VPN servers. 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full Surfshark review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
ExpressVPN is the fastest VPN we’ve tested with an average global download speed of 135 Mbps. As such, it’s a particularly good choice if you’re looking to stream and torrent. Its network consists of more than 3,000 servers which can be found in 94 countries in total (far more countries than most VPNs). Of course, this includes servers in Madrid and Barcelona, Spain. Add to this its very reliable streaming abilities (it works with Netflix, Hulu, and ESPN, to name but a few services), it’s one of the more powerful VPNs available.
This VPN can be used by anyone, including beginners. With easy-to-navigate apps and browser extensions and live chat and email support available 24 hours a day, you’re unlikely to have too many issues with it. In terms of security features, there’s 256-bit AES encryption, a kill switch, and protection from DNS, IPv6, and even WebRTC leaks. ExpressVPN doesn’t keep identifying logs of its users which means you’ll be able to browse with your identity intact. For even greater anonymity, users can pay in Bitcoin.
To use ExpressVPN, you’ll need to use an app for one of the following: Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, or Linux. Chrome and Firefox browser extensions are also available. You’ll also find custom firmware for use with routers.
- Very fast server speeds (an average of 135 Mbps in our tests)
- Provides more than 3,000 servers across 94 countries
- Stream Antena 3 and Cuatro abroad
- Beginner friendly with excellent apps and 24/7 support
- Uses encryption to keep your data secure at all times
- More expensive than many rival VPNs
FASTEST VPN:ExpressVPN offers very fast speeds for streaming and torrenting. Servers in 94 countries including in Madrid, Spain. Strong security with encryption. Easy-to-use apps and excellent 24/7 support. 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full ExpressVPN review.
Money-back guarantee: 45 DAYS
CyberGhost has more servers in Spain (and indeed worldwide) than any other VPN recommended in this post. Overall, its network is made up of over 7,000 servers in 90 countries at the time of writing. Over 100 of these are located in Spain in the cities of Madrid and Barcelona. As such, you’ll easily be able to stream RTVE and Netflix if you travel abroad, and do so lag-free thanks to this VPN’s unlimited bandwidth.
If you sign up with CyberGhost, you’ll be able to connect up to seven devices at the same time, which is slightly above average. With CyberGhost, you can browse the web anonymously thanks to its strict no-logs policy and 256-bit AES encryption. Aside from this, there’s DNS and IPv6 leak protection and an automatic kill switch, which cuts your internet traffic in the event of the VPN connection dropping, preventing data from being exposed. 24/7 support is on-hand via live chat and email.
CyberGhost provides apps for desktop (Windows, Mac, and Linux) and mobile (Android and iOS). You can also find apps for Amazon Fire TV and Android TV as well as Chrome and Firefox browser extensions. Use with routers requires manual configuration.
- More than 7,000 servers in 90 countries (including Madrid, Spain)
- High-speed connections for streaming lag and buffer-free
- Works well with RTVE and Netflix
- Connect up to seven of your devices simultaneously
- Independently operated “NoSpy” servers
- Unable to bypass the Great Firewall of China
100 SERVERS IN SPAIN:CyberGhost has dozens of servers in Madrid and Barcelona. Roughly 6,500 in 90 countries. High-speed connections and unlimited bandwidth. Can be used on seven devices at the same time. No-logs service. 45-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full CyberGhost review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
IPVanish provides more servers in Madrid than most VPNs on the market, with a total of 30. It allows you to stream Spanish TV including Antena 3 and Cuatro from anywhere. In fact, you’ll be able to securely access all kinds of content thanks to its 1,900 servers in over 75 locations. A particularly heavy US presence means it’s also a great choice for Netflix US and Disney+. You can also expect good server speeds as well as unlimited bandwidth.
Unlike most VPNs, IPVanish allows you to connect all of your devices simultaneously. As such, you may want to consider this VPN if you plan on sharing your subscription with family. Also included with IPVanish is 24/7 support, which can be accessed via live chat and email. Thanks to this service’s 256-bit AES encryption, DNS and IPv6 leak protection, kill switch, and no-logs policy, you won’t have to worry about any snoopers monitoring your activities.
Get a Madrid IP address via the IPVanish apps for Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, and Amazon Fire TV. With manual configuration, you can even use this VPN with Linux or your wireless router.
- Provides some 30 servers in Madrid, Spain
- Secure all of your devices at once
- Works with Spanish TV channels such as La 1 and Telecinco
- Security includes encryption and a no-logs policy
- Headquartered in a Five Eyes member country (United States)
- Customer support is very slow to reply to emails
UNLIMITED CONNECTIONS:IPVanish has 30 servers in Madrid as well as in dozens of countries globally. Unlimited simultaneous connections. 24/7 live chat support available. Secures data with high-end encryption. 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full IPVanish review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
PrivateVPN may have a smaller network of 150 servers but it covers over 60 countries. Better still, it has servers located in Madrid, Spain. This VPN offers particularly high speeds (it’s one of the faster VPNs we’ve tested) and also has reliable streaming ability. As such, it’s a strong choice whether you’re in Spain or traveling abroad. Combined with unlimited bandwidth with absolutely no throttling, you can safely stream Netflix, BBC iPlayer, and HBO without interruption.
Despite its powerful security features, PrivateVPN makes it quick and easy to connect to a server or adjust your settings. If you need any help, live chat and email support is available up to 22 hours per day (the email support replies far quicker than most other VPNs). We can recommend this VPN if you’re seeking a high level of privacy. It includes 256-bit AES encryption, a kill switch, and DNS leak protection. Its strict no-logs policy protects your data plus it’s even possible to pay anonymously with Bitcoin.
In order to use PrivateVPN, you’ll need to download an app for Windows, Mac, Linux, Android, or iOS. Alternatively, you can use it with select Wi-Fi routers but you should note that this requires manual setup.
- Fast servers and unlimited bandwidth for streaming
- Works with Netflix, BBC iPlayer, Disney+, and more
- Very easy to use apps for desktop and mobile platforms
- Sign up anonymously with a burner email and by paying in Bitcoin
- Small network of just 150 servers
- Live chat support isn’t 24/7
GREAT FOR STREAMING:PrivateVPN works with Spanish TV (Antena 3, Cuatro, La 1) and international streaming platforms (Netflix and BBC iPlayer). Beginner-friendly with fast live chat and email support. Fast speeds and strong security. 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full PrivateVPN review.
7. Hotspot Shield
Money-back guarantee: 45 DAYS
Editor’s Note: Hotspot Shield is owned by Pango, Comparitech’s parent company.
Hotspot Shield allows you to access Spanish services such as Atresplayer and Mitele as well as international websites and services. This is thanks to its network that consists of 1,800 servers across 80 countries, Spain included. It works well with popular streaming services, be it Amazon Prime Video, BBC iPlayer, or Hulu. Our testing revealed a global download speed of 63 Mbps which is more than fast enough for lag-free streaming. Of course, it’s also a great option for torrenting or general web-browsing.
If you choose Hotspot Shield, you’ll be able to secure up to five of your devices at the same time. Another particularly useful feature is the 24/7 live chat and email support. It’s worth knowing that Hotspot Shield doesn’t keep any logs by which you can be identified as a user. Further, it offers strong security features including 256-bit AES encryption, a kill switch, and DNS leak protection. It’s even able to bypass VPN blocking and is one of few services that works in China.
As part of a Hotspot Shield subscription, you’ll have access to its VPN apps for Windows, Mac, Linux, Android, and iOS. A Chrome browser extension is also included. You can manually configure this VPN to work with select routers.
- Network of servers in 80 countries including in Madrid, Spain
- Good speeds for browsing, streaming, and torrenting
- Live chat and email support, 24/7
- Doesn’t keep logs by which you can be identified
- Some past privacy issues
- No anonymous payment options such as Bitcoin
LAG-FREE STREAMING:Hotspot Shield offers unlimited bandwidth for lag-free streaming of Spanish TV as well as Amazon Prime Video. Provides 24/7 support via live chat and email. Doesn’t keep any identifying logs of users. 45-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full Hotspot Shield review.
How to use a VPN in Madrid
Using a VPN in Madrid is much the same as using one in almost any other location. That being said, this may be your first experience with a VPN. If so, you may find the below step-by-step instructions of use.
Here’s how you can use a VPN in Madrid:
- The first step is to sign up with a VPN provider. We particularly recommend NordVPN.
- Once signed up, you’ll be able to download and install the appropriate VPN app (or browser extension) for your device.
- Log in to the VPN and connect to a server in your preferred location. For example, a server in Madrid for a Madrid IP address.
- You’ll now be able to browse the web anonymously.
- Not working? You may need to clear your browser’s cookies or try connecting to another server. If not, it’s worth contacting your VPN’s customer support.
Best VPNs for Madrid: FAQs
Why do I need a VPN in Madrid?
There are a few reasons why you might need a VPN in Madrid (or indeed in any other location). In particular, you may want to access content that is restricted, be it due to copyright or censorship. Fortunately, Spain does not have any online censorship, though you may encounter these while traveling abroad. Instead, you’re more likely to find that some websites and services are region-locked. However, by connecting to a server in another country and changing your IP address, you can bypass such restrictions.
You may want to use a VPN in Madrid to browse more securely or bypass your ISP’s bandwidth throttling. The best VPNs for Spain all offer unlimited bandwidth and connecting to a local server ensures you’ll get the highest possible speeds (although there are a few other contributing factors too). Further, using a VPN with a no-logs policy ensures that your activities remain hidden, which is particularly important given that Spain is part of the 14 Eyes intelligence-sharing alliance.
Can I use a free VPN in Madrid?
Some free VPNs offer servers in Spain although not all specify the specific locations of their servers. As such, you may struggle to find a server in Madrid. Furthermore, free VPN networks are typically small with servers in only a few locations. This limits the amount of geo-blocked content you can actually access. Indeed, free VPNs are unlikely to work with streaming services such as Netflix and DAZN. They also tend to have too many users on each server and may engage in bandwidth throttling, resulting in lag and buffering.
If you’d like to be able to browse and stream anonymously, free VPNs are best avoided. Many lack key security features, be it encryption or a kill switch, essentially leaving your data exposed and vulnerable to hackers and snoopers. Consider how free VPNs make their money. If not from subscriptions, it may be from logging and selling your personal data. Of course, this goes against the whole point of a VPN. That’s why we recommend the best VPNs for Madrid for getting a Spanish IP address so you can browse with your privacy intact.