Trying to watch Canal+ while on vacation? Because of geo-restrictions, If you attempt to watch Canal+ anywhere but France, the site will serve you the following error message:
“Erreur. Impossible d’accéder au contenu, veuillez vérifier votre connexion internet et désactiver votre ad-blocker.”
Luckily, there is a way to get around this problem. In this guide, we explain how you can stream Canal+ from anywhere with the help of a VPN.
A Virtual Private Network (VPN) gives you the option to connect to servers in a different country. By connecting to a French server, you get a French IP Address, which allows you to unblock Canal+ and other French websites.
In this article, we cover the best VPNs for unblocking Canal+ in detail. If you don’t have time to read the whole thing, we have summarized the reasons our VPN recommendations made it into this list:
- NordVPN: Our top choice VPN for Canal+. A reputable provider that has plenty of servers in France. Unblocks many streaming sites and boasts fantastic speeds. Includes a 30-day money-back guarantee.
- Surfshark: Best budget pick. It has strong unblocking ability and powerful security features. Works great with Canal+, Netflix, and more.
- ExpressVPN: Blazingly fast servers located in France effortlessly stream Canal+ to almost anywhere. Also unblocks most other popular streaming sites.
- CyberGhost: Has easy-to-use apps that are great for new VPN users. Impressive speeds for streaming and a huge selection of servers.
- IPVanish: Popular choice with 35+ servers in France. Great for unblocking Canal+, TV5 Monde, and other French services.
- PrivateVPN: Good speeds for streaming. Works with Canal+, Netflix, BBC iPlayer and others.
- Hotspot Shield: Low cost provider that works well with Canal+ and lots of other streaming sites. Great speeds and strong security.
WANT TO TRY THE TOP CANAL+ VPN RISK FREE?
NordVPN is offering a fully-featured risk-free 30-day trial if you sign up at this page. You can use the VPN rated #1 for Canal+ with no restrictions for a month – great if you want to stream myCANAL while on vacation.
There are no hidden terms—just contact support within 30 days if you decide NordVPN isn’t right for you and you’ll get a full refund. Start your NordVPN trial here.
How to watch Canal+ outside of France with a VPN
A VPN is an online service that anybody can use to pretend to be in a different country. It works by hiding your real IP Address from the websites you visit, to make it seem like you are located elsewhere.
Using a VPN to get a French IP address is extremely simple, which means you can easily access myCANAL from anywhere in the world. Use the steps below to get a VPN for Canal+ and start streaming right away!
Here’s how to watch Canal+ live online anywhere outside of France:
- Pick a VPN for Canal+. We recommend NordVPN because it has super-fast servers in France known to work with the myCANAL.
- Subscribe to the VPN and download the VPN app onto your device.
- Choose a server in France from the list in the app and click connect. This will give you a French IP address.
- You can now head over to canalplus.com to log in to your myCANAL account. You will be able to stream as you would at home.
- If for any reason you have problems streaming shows, clear the cookies in your browser to ensure that Canal+ isn’t somehow still tracking your real location.
The best VPNs for Canal+
Every VPN is different, and choosing the right one is vital. To find the best VPNs for Canal+, we looked for services with the following characteristics:
- Multiple French servers to choose from
- Stable connections and fast speeds
- Capable of unblocking Canal+ and similar streaming services
- Strong encryption
- Minimal logging, preferably no logging at all
Here’s a list of the best VPNs for Canal+:
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
NordVPN leads the category with over 230 servers across France, and each is optimized to provide the best streaming experience possible. This service is among the fastest we’ve tested and can securely access a huge range of platforms including US and French Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, and Canal+. With six connections allowed at once, NordVPN enables you to protect all of your devices with a single account.
Ad-blocking and anti-malware monitoring features come built-in. This VPN easily allows you to stay safe online. It uses 256-bit AES encryption, and comes with a highly configurable kill switch, but there’s also the option to use multiple VPNs or combine your VPN with Tor. NordVPN doesn’t log any of your activity or session information and can be paid for using Bitcoin, making it a strong choice for privacy-conscious users.
This provider offers Linux, MacOS, Windows, iOS, and Android apps. Many routers are supported (manual installation). You can test it yourself using its risk-free 30-day money-back guarantee.
- Operates over 230 servers in France
- Unblocked Canal+ during testing at good speeds for HD streaming
- Excellent security and encryption standards
- Personal data is protected as it keeps no logs
- 24/7 live chat support available
- Has apps for all popular devices
- No kill-switch on Android
BEST VPN FOR CANAL+ ABROAD:NordVPN is our first choice for Canal+. An extremely fast provider that works well with Canal+ abroad. Strong security features and allows up to 6 devices to be used simultaneously from one account. Includes a risk-free 30-day money back guarantee.
Read our full NordVPN review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
Surfshark provides access to 3,200+ servers in 65 countries, including France. As such, it’s a solid choice for watching Canal Plus abroad, as well as larger platforms like Netflix and BBC iPlayer. Speeds are fast enough for lag-free streaming. While many VPNs limit you to a few simultaneous connections, Surfshark lets you protect every device you own from a single account.
This VPN uses 256-bit AES encryption, DNS and IPv6 leak protection, and automatic malware-scanning to keep you safe. There’s also a kill switch that stops sending data the moment your connection drops, plus a NoBorders mode designed to get around even the most stubborn VPN-blocking. Surfshark keeps no logs and accepts three different cryptocurrencies.
Surfshark offers Android, Windows, iOS, MacOS, and Linux apps. If you’d prefer, it can be manually installed on select wireless routers. A superb all rounder with a 30-day money back guarantee.
- Solid speeds, unlimited bandwidth
- Impressive streaming abilities
- Excellent security and privacy credentials
- Secure any number of devices
- Accepts Bitcoin
- Menus could be better organized
BEST BUDGET OPTION:Surfshark comes packed with security features, so you’ll be able to watch Canal Plus safely, wherever you are. It’s fast too, with a low price point, a 30-day money-back guarantee, and no bandwidth or connection limits.
Read our full Surfshark review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
ExpressVPN has three French server locations that work with platforms like Canal+, TV5 Monde, and Netflix France. Its many servers are fast enough to handle HD or even 4K video without any noticeable buffering, stuttering, or lag. With five simultaneous connections permitted, you can stream safely while keeping your other commonly-used devices protected.
ExpressVPN takes your security seriously. It uses 256-bit encryption, DNS leak protection, and perfect forward secrecy to keep your traffic safe from prying eyes. There’s also a kill switch that blocks any traffic when the connection to the VPN is lost. For more anonymity, users can sign up using the optional onion site and pay with bitcoin. Further, ExpressVPN doesn’t log any information which could identify individual users. Live chat and email support are available 24/7.
Apps are available for Windows, Linux, MacOS, iOS, and Android systems. Selected network routers are supported but these must be configured manually.
- Works extremely well in France and for streaming French content while abroad
- Servers in Paris are great for streaming in HD quality
- Strict zero-logs policy and solid security on apps
- Apps are slick and easy to use
- Has 24/7 customer support
- Not the cheapest option her
SECURE STREAMING:ExpressVPN is a super fast and reliable choice. Unblocks Canal+ in any country along with most other major streaming services. Great security and privacy features plus a 30-day money back guarantee.
Read our full review of ExpressVPN.
Money-back guarantee: 45 DAYS
CyberGhost has 780+ French servers in Paris and Strasbourg to choose from. Users can select one manually or be assigned one based on a list of activities including torrenting, browsing the internet anonymously, or unblocking streaming sites.
CyberGhost works to access Amazon Prime Video, Disney+, iPlayer, Hulu, ITV and tons more including Canal+ and other French services that aren’t mentioned by name in the app.
This VPN is easy for novices to use but offers a good range of security options for more experienced users. 256-bit encryption combined with a kill switch, no-logs policy, and protection against IPv6, DNS, and port forwarding leaks ensures your traffic is never visible. Anti-malware, ad-blocking, and HTTPS redirection features are also included.
This service has apps for Windows, MacOS, Android, and iOS devices. And it can be manually installed on Linux-based platforms and supported routers. Plus it has a super-generous 45-day money back guarantee to let you compare it to our other recommendations.
- Operates over 70 servers in France and can unblock most French content abroad
- Low-cost provider with some very fast servers for downloading and streaming
- Scores highly in terms of security and privacy
- Kill switch on all apps and keeps no logs
- 24/7 live chat customer support
- Lack of configuration options may frustrate power users
- Doesn’t work in places like China
GREAT FOR STREAMING:CyberGhost provides access to Canal+ abroad along with lots of other geo-restricted content. Its easy-to-use apps are ideal for beginners. Plans come with a 45-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full CyberGhost review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
IPVanish has very little impact on your connection speeds and is capable of unblocking numerous different streaming services, including Canal+, and TV5 Monde. It has 39 servers in France, so you should always be able to find one that gives you a great streaming experience, even during peak times.
Any number of connections are allowed at once, giving you the freedom to watch however and wherever you choose. This also makes it great for larger families or housemates who all want the use of a VPN. However please bear in mind that this VPN doesn’t work with Hulu or iPlayer, which makes it our least favorite of the options for keen streamers.
This service uses 256-bit encryption and DNS and IPv6 leak protection by default. There are more advanced features, including a local traffic blocker, a kill switch, OpenVPN obfuscation, and timed IP address switching. IPVanish’s no-logs policy ensures your activities remain private at all times.
IPVanish has apps for MacOS, Windows, Android, iOS, and Amazon Fire TV Stick. IPVanish works with Linux systems and selected routers, but these require manual configuration first.
- Operates over 35 servers in France, ideal for streaming French content abroad
- Servers are fast for streaming and downloading
- Strong encryption and privacy protections
- Preferred by Kodi and Firestick TV for its remote-friendly apps
- Can struggle with larger streaming platforms
- Customer support is sometimes a little slow
NO DEVICE LIMITS:IPVanish has a large network of servers and handles multiple connections well. Easy to use and preferred by users who need high standards of privacy. Can’t unblock as many streaming services as some of its rivals. 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full IPVanish review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
PrivateVPN only has a few servers in France, but it’s still capable of providing great speeds. Additionally, it can securely access a wide variety of different platforms and services including Netflix, Canal+, Hulu, and BBC iPlayer. As 10 simultaneous connections are permitted, PrivateVPN is ideal for people looking to protect lots of devices at once.
This VPN uses 256-bit encryption and protects against both DNS and IPv6 leaks. It includes an optional kill switch that ensures you never have to browse the internet without protection. Further, this VPN service has a no-logs policy, meaning neither your activities or session data can be shared, even if requested by a third party. 24/7 live chat is available, and the staff can even remotely install or troubleshoot your connection, with your permission.
PrivateVPN apps are available for devices running Windows, Android, MacOS, and iOS. Manual installation is necessary for Linux systems and wireless routers. If you fancy the sound of this VPN, you can trial it just like the others thanks to its 30-day money-back guarantee. A consumer favorite!
- Fast speeds
- Works with most popular French streaming services
- Above average streaming speeds in testing
- Strong security measures
- Support staff only operate during European business hours
- Has fewer servers to choose from
GREAT SPEED:PrivateVPN is a good family choice. Unblocks Canal+ and allows up to 10 devices on the same account. Small network of servers but fast connections. 30-day money back guarantee.
Read our full PrivateVPN review.
Money-back guarantee: 45 DAYS
Editor’s Note: Hotspot Shield is owned by Pango, Comparitech’s parent company.
Hotspot Shield is a US provider that has a super-fast network of servers in 80+ countries. This includes servers in France to stream Canal+ and other popular French services and channels. The VPN is super-fast thanks to its proprietary Catapult Hydra protocol, which makes it a superb option for people particularly interested in streaming.
This VPN can securely access lots of popular services including Netflix, Hulu, HBO Max, iPlayer, and ITV Hub. Plus this VPN permits torrenting, which makes it a decent all rounder for those focused on entertainment and accessibility.
Where privacy is concerned this VPN has you covered thanks to its no usage logs policy. This ensures that it never stores any logs about what you do while connected. And the apps have everything you need to secure your internet connection and gain privacy both at home and on public WI-Fi.
Apps are available for all popular platforms (Windows, Linux, Mac, Android, and iOS) and you can install and use the VPN on up to 5 devices simultaneously, which is enough for most users. Finally, you can test this VPN yourself using its lengthy 45-day money back guarantee.
- Servers in France to stream Canal+
- 45-day money-back guarantee
- Easy to use
- Past privacy issues
- Doesn’t accept Bitcoin
POPULAR VPN:Hotspot Shield is fast because of its Catapult Hydra protocol. Secure and private. IPs in 80+ countries, including France. Works with Canal+, iPlayer, Netflix, Hulu and Disney+. 45 day money-back guarantee.
Read our full Hotspot Shield review.
Canal+ VPN testing methodology
There are many VPNs available online, and not all have the features you need to stream Canal+ outside of France.
Most VPNs have slow server networks that cause buffering, outdated apps with few useful features, and even dodgy data practices that make them untrustworthy. At Comparitech we understand how hard it can be to sort the wheat from the chaff, that is why we test VPNs to check they have everything you need.
Our experts regularly review the world’s leading VPNs using a specific testing methodology. We check for leaks, for reliability, for sturdy encryption, and for policies that put your data privacy first.
Below, we have included all of the criteria that our experts used to pick the VPNs recommended on this page:
- Servers in France. This permits you to get an IP address in France to unblock Canal+, and other French-language services.
- Servers worldwide. This allows you to spoof your location to a wide choice of places to get better VPN speeds and to securely access content from more locations.
- Apps for all platforms. We look for VPNs that have apps that can be used on all devices, and that have guides for setting up the VPN on routers, consoles, smart TVs, and other media devices.
- Reliable encryption. Encryption protects your data from being intercepted in transit and gives you data security and privacy, whether at home, at work, or on public Wi-Fi.
- A no logs policy. We have checked all our recommendations to ensure they have solid data policies that never put your privacy at risk either now or in the future.
- Torrenting permitted. Not all VPNs allow P2P connections, which is why we check that our recommendations allow torrenting and have servers that are optimized for downloading.
- Advanced VPN privacy features. We check for a kill-switch, leak protection, obfuscation, and other advanced features that make the VPN more versatile (check the summaries and our VPN reviews for details of these additional features).
- Fast connection speeds. To stream Canal+ and other services, you require a lightning-fast VPN. We test VPN servers to guarantee that they are suitable for data intensive tasks like video conferencing, gaming, torrenting, and 4k HD streaming.
Canal+ VPN FAQ
Can I watch Canal+ with a free VPN?
While using a free VPN might seem like an easy way to stay safe online, we advise against going down this route. First of all, free VPNs lack the network infrastructure of their premium counterparts, yet they have more users. This leads to slow connections, choppy video, and ultimately, a frustrating experience. Also, streaming services have begun trying to block VPN users, so there’s a good chance that a free VPN won’t work.
It’s important to remember that free VPNs are businesses. As they don’t charge users directly, their survival relies on finding other ways to create income. Sometimes this is done by placing ads on the sites you visit, but these services can also track your activities and sell that user data to third parties for marketing and profiling purposes
Recently, we’ve seen several cases where free VPNs prey on people who are simply looking to protect themselves online. Some such services have harvested more data than was necessary, come bundled with malware, or sold user bandwidth to be used in a botnet. In fact, an in depth study showed that numerous free VPNs don’t actually encrypt your traffic at all. To keep yourself safe, we recommend using a reputable VPN service with a proven record of protecting its customers’ privacy.
Do I have to register to watch Canal+ online?
Once upon a time, you could watch most Canal+ content for free. This is no longer the case. The good news is that you can still watch news, original series, replays, and some other content for free and without a subscription. You can do this by clicking “En clair” at the top of the page.
Those looking for sport can pay to access channels that show everything from the UK’s Premiership, to the Champions League, Formula 1, Boxing, Rugby, Tennis and much more. And users can pick from various plans (at various costs) that offer entertainment, movies, children’s programming, and anything else you can think of.
Canal+ plans start from as little as 6.99 euros per month and are available without a contract, which means you are free to cancel anytime.
Just remember that if you see an error that reads “Une erreur interne a été détectée. Veuillez réessayer.” it’s possible you’ve forgotten to connect to a French VPN server. Connect, and force a hard reload on the web page by holding the CTRL key and pressing F5. Mac users should hold Command and Shift, then click the reload button. (You may also need to clear your cookies to ensure that the service can’t still detect where you are.)
What can I watch on Canal+?
Canal+ offers a variety of French TV shows, but there are also dubbed versions of many popular US titles. Below, we’ve listed some of the platform’s must-watch content:
- Dexter: New Blood
- This is Us
- UEFA Champions League soccer
- Ligue 1 soccer
- Blue Bloods
- Big Sky
- The Book of Boba Fett
Can I watch Canal Plus in the UK?
Unfortunately, due to licensing restrictions, Canal Plus is only available in France. However, there is a workaround that will allow you to access this service while traveling in the UK, the US, or anywhere else.
Simply connect to a French VPN server to spoof your IP address and make Canal+ think that you’re actually in France. Then, all you have to do is sign in and you should be able to watch your favorite shows as normal.
What devices can I watch Canal Plus on?
You can access the Canal Plus app, MyCanal, on a wide range of devices. Aside from being accessible via web, you can download it for desktop (Windows and Mac), mobile (Android and iOS), and even console (Xbox and PlayStation).
Will a VPN reduce my streaming speeds?
Due to the encryption process and the data traveling to a VPN server before reaching Canal Plus servers, a VPN will usually reduce your streaming speeds. However, some VPNs are far faster than others with the best VPNs for Canal+ more than capable of streaming HD and even 4K content without lag or buffering. It may even be that a VPN improves your streaming speeds if you're suffering from ISP throttling.