Trying to watch Canal+ in the UK or anywhere else abroad? You’ll probably already know that Canal+ is geo-restricted, meaning it’s only possible to watch this channel from inside France. We reveal how you can access Canal+ from anywhere with the help of a VPN.
A VPN service gives users the option to connect to servers outside their own country. In addition to encrypting their network traffic, these remote servers can trick websites into believing the user is located somewhere they’re not. For example, using a French server will unblock Canal+ and similar French services.
If you attempt to watch from another country without a VPN, you’ll likely be shown an error (in French): Impossible d’accéder au contenu, veuillez vérifier votre connexion internet. This roughly translates to “Cannot access content, please check your internet connection.”
If you don’t have time to read this whole article, here is a summary of the reasons that these VPNs made our top 6 list:
- NordVPN Our top choice for Canal+ A reputable provider that has plenty of servers in France. Unblocks many streaming sites and boasts fantastic speeds. Includes 30-day money back guarantee.
- Surfshark Known for its wallet-friendly price, strong unblocking ability, and powerful security features. Works great with Canal+, Netflix, and more. Decent speeds. No connection limit.
- ExpressVPN Blazingly fast servers located in France effortlessly stream Canal+ to almost anywhere. Also unblocks most other popular streaming sites.
- CyberGhost Budget provider with easy to use apps that are great for new VPN users. Impressive speeds for streaming.
- IPVanish Popular choice with 23 servers in France. Great for unblocking Canal+, ITV Hub, and TV5 Monde.
- PrivateVPN Good speeds for streaming, unblocks Canal+, Netflix and even BBC iPlayer.
How to stream Canal+ abroad (outside France) with a VPN
If you’re not sure how to stream Canal+ online with a VPN, just follow the simple instructions below. For those of you who haven’t used a VPN before you’ll be happy to know the process is not only easy but quick, so you’ll be watching Canal+ in no time.
Here’s how to live stream Canal+ online from anywhere:
- Sign up with a VPN with servers in France. We recommend NordVPN.
- Download and install the VPN app or browser extension for your device.
- Open the VPN app or browser extension and connect to a server in France. This will provide you with a French IP address for watching Canal+ abroad.
- Go to Canal+ and try playing a video.
- You should now be able to watch all your favorite content! If you’re still encountering restrictions, try clearing your browser’s cookies.
Criteria for choosing a VPN
Every VPN is different, and choosing the right one is vital. Some are too slow for streaming HD video, while others offer a larger range of security options or better customer support. To find the best VPNs for Canal+, we looked for services with the following characteristics:
- Multiple French servers to choose from
- Stable connections and fast speeds
- Capable of unblocking Canal+ and similar streaming services
- Strong encryption
- Minimal logging, preferably no logging at all
The best VPNs for Canal+
Here is our list of the best VPNs for Canal+:
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
NordVPN leads the category with over 180 servers across France, and each is optimized to provide the best streaming experience possible. This service is the fastest we’ve tested and can unblock a huge range of platforms including US and French Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, and Canal+. With six connections allowed at once, NordVPN enables you to protect all of your devices with a single account.
With ad-blocking and anti-malware monitoring features built-in, this VPN allows you to easily stay safe online. It uses 256-bit AES encryption, and comes with a highly configurable kill switch, but there’s also the option to use multiple VPNs or combine your VPN with Tor. NordVPN doesn’t log any of your activity or session information and can be paid for using bitcoin, making it a strong choice for privacy-conscious users.
This provider offers Linux, MacOS, Windows, iOS, and Android apps. Manual installation is required on some wireless routers.
- Operates over 180 servers in France, great for unblocking geo-restricted content
- Unblocked Canal+ during testing at good speeds for HD streaming
- Excellent security and encryption standards
- Personal data is protected as it keeps no logs
- 24/7 live chat support available
- Desktop app feels aged when compared to other providers
BEST VPN FOR Canal+ ABROAD:NordVPN is our first choice for Canal+. An extremely fast provider that works well with Canal+ abroad. Strong security features and allows up to 6 devices to be used simultaneously from one account. Includes a risk-free 30-day money back guarantee.
Read our full NordVPN review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
Surfshark provides access to 3,200+ servers in 65 countries including France. As such, it’s a solid choice for unblocking Canal Plus abroad, as well as larger platforms like Netflix and BBC iPlayer. Speeds can vary but are generally fast enough for lag-free streaming. While many VPNs limit you to a few simultaneous connections, Surfshark lets you protect every device you own from a single account.
This VPN uses 256-bit AES encryption, DNS and IPv6 leak protection, and automatic malware-scanning to keep you safe. There’s also a kill switch that stops sending data the moment your connection drops, plus a NoBorders mode designed to get around even the most stubborn VPN-blocking. Surfshark keeps no logs and accepts three different cryptocurrencies.
Surfshark offers Android, Windows, iOS, MacOS, and Linux apps. If you’d prefer, it can be manually installed on select wireless routers.
- Solid speeds, unlimited bandwidth
- Impressive unblocking abilities
- Excellent security and privacy credentials
- Secure any number of devices
- Accepts Bitcoin
- Some servers are much faster than others
BEST BUDGET OPTION:Surfshark comes packed with security features, so you’ll be able to watch Canal Plus safely, wherever you are. It’s fast too, with a low price point, a 30-day money-back guarantee, and no bandwidth or connection limits.
Read our full Surfshark review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
ExpressVPN has three French servers which can unblock platforms like Canal+, TV5 Monde, and Netflix France with ease. These servers are fast enough to handle HD or even 4K video without any noticeable buffering, stuttering, or lag. With five simultaneous connections permitted, you can stream safely while keeping your other commonly-used devices protected.
ExpressVPN takes your security seriously. It uses 256-bit encryption, DNS leak protection, and perfect forward secrecy to keep your traffic safe from prying eyes. There’s also a kill switch that blocks any traffic when the connection to the VPN is lost. For more anonymity, users can sign up using the optional onion site and pay with bitcoin. Further, ExpressVPN doesn’t log any information which could identify individual users. Live chat and email support are available 24/7.
Apps are available for Windows, Linux, MacOS, iOS, and Android systems. Selected network routers are supported but these must be configured manually.
- Works extremely well in France and for unblocking French content while abroad
- Servers in Paris are great for streaming in HD quality
- Strict zero-logs policy and solid security on apps
- Apps are slick and easy to use
- Not the cheapest option here without a coupon
- Lack of advanced configuration options could be offputting to experienced users
SECURE STREAMING:ExpressVPN is a super fast and reliable choice. Unblocks Canal+ in any country along with most other major streaming services. Great security and privacy features plus a 30-day money back guarantee.
Read our full review of ExpressVPN.
Money-back guarantee: 45 DAYS
CyberGhost has 320+ French servers to choose from. Users can select one manually or be assigned one based on a list of activities including torrenting, browsing the internet anonymously, or unblocking streaming sites. Most of these sites are based in the US and UK (for instance, Amazon Prime Video and ITV), but CyberGhost can also unblock many that aren’t mentioned by name in its list, Canal+ included.
This VPN is easy for novices to use but offers a good range of security options for more experienced users. 256-bit encryption combined with a kill switch, no-logs policy, and protection against IPv6, DNS, and port forwarding leaks ensures your traffic is never visible. Anti-malware, ad-blocking, and HTTPS redirection features are also included.
This service has apps for Windows, MacOS, Android, and iOS devices. It can be manually installed on Linux-based platforms and supported routers.
- Operates over 300 servers in France and can unblock most French content abroad
- Low-cost provider with some very fast servers for downloading and streaming
- Scores highly in terms of security and privacy
- Kill switch on all apps and keeps no logs
- Lack of configuration options will frustrate power users
- Doesn’t work in places like China
GREAT FOR STREAMING:CyberGhost provides access to Canal+ abroad along with lots of other geo-restricted content. Its easy-to-use apps are ideal for beginners. Plans come with a 45-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full CyberGhost review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
IPVanish has very little impact on your connection speeds and is capable of unblocking numerous different streaming services including Canal+, ITV Hub, and TV5 Monde. It has 23 servers in France, so you should always be able to find one that gives you a great streaming experience, even during peak times. Any number of connections are allowed at once, giving you the freedom to watch however and wherever you choose.
This service uses 256-bit encryption and DNS and IPv6 leak protection by default. There are more advanced features, including a local traffic blocker, a kill switch, OpenVPN obfuscation, and timed IP address switching. IPVanish’s no-logs policy ensures your activities remain private at all times.
IPVanish has apps for MacOS, Windows, Android, iOS, and Amazon Fire TV Stick. IPVanish works with Linux systems and selected routers, but these require manual configuration first.
- Operates over 25 servers in France, ideal for streaming French content abroad
- Servers are fast for streaming and downloading
- Strong encryption and privacy protections
- Preferred by Kodi and Firestick TV for its remote-friendly apps
- Doesn’t reliably unblock Netflix, Hulu on all servers
- Customer support is sometimes a little slow
NO DEVICE LIMITS:IPVanish has a large network of servers and handles multiple connections well. Easy to use and preferred by users who need high standards of privacy. Can’t unblock as many streaming services as some of its rivals. 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full IPVanish review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
While PrivateVPN only has a few servers in France, it’s still capable of providing above-average speeds. Additionally, it can unblock a wide variety of different platforms and services including Netflix, Canal+, Hulu, and BBC iPlayer. As six simultaneous connections are permitted, PrivateVPN is ideal for people looking to protect lots of devices at once.
This VPN uses 256-bit encryption and protects against both DNS and IPv6 leaks. It includes an optional kill switch that ensures you never have to browse the internet without protection. Further, this VPN service has a no-logs policy, meaning neither your activities or session data can be shared, even if requested by a third party. 24/7 live chat is available, and the staff can even remotely install or troubleshoot your connection, with your permission.
PrivateVPN apps are available for devices running Windows, Android, MacOS, and iOS. Manual installation is necessary for Linux systems and wireless routers.
- Operates two servers in Paris that are geared for streaming
- Can unblock most popular French streaming services
- Above average streaming speeds in testing
- Support staff only operate during European business hours
- Newish provider is still expanding its network, has fewer servers to choose from
- Apps lack advanced features, such as ad and malware blocking options
GREAT SPEED:PrivateVPN is a good family choice. Unblocks Canal+ and allows up to 6 devices on the same account. Small network of servers but fast connections. 30-day money back guarantee.
Read our full PrivateVPN review.
Can I use a free VPN to watch Canal+?
While using a free VPN might seem like an easy way to stay safe online, we advise against going down this route. First of all, free VPNs lack the network infrastructure of their premium counterparts, yet they have more users. This leads to slow connections, choppy video, and ultimately, a frustrating experience. Also, streaming services have begun trying to block VPN users, so there’s a good chance that a free VPN simply won’t work.
It’s important to remember that free VPNs are businesses. As they don’t charge users directly, their survival relies on finding other ways to create income. Sometimes this is done by placing ads on the sites you visit, but these services can also track your activities after disconnection and sell the resulting user profile to third parties without your knowledge.
Recently, we’ve seen several cases where free VPNs prey on people who are simply looking to protect themselves online. Some such services have harvested more data than was necessary, come bundled with malware, or sold user bandwidth to be used in a botnet. In fact, a recent study showed that numerous free VPNs don’t actually encrypt your traffic at all. To keep yourself safe, we recommend using a reputable VPN service with a proven record of protecting its customers’ privacy.
See also: Best VPNs for France
Watching Canal+ abroad FAQ
Do I have to register to watch Canal+ online?
The Canal+ website has a big button that reads S’abonner (“Subscribe”) at the top of the page. This is slightly confusing, because all of the website’s content can be viewed for free, and indeed, news clips can be watched from any location, not just France or Luxembourg.
In fact, users don’t have to register at all in order to watch content on the Canal+ site. The subscribe button actually allows users to pay for a Canal+ TV subscription. This unlocks additional channels using a box that plugs into your TV, similar to a traditional cable package but with lower monthly costs and fewer channels to choose from.
If you see an error that reads “Une erreur intern a été détectée. Veuillez réessayer.” (“An internal error has been detected. Try again.”), it’s possible you’ve forgotten to connect to a French server. Connect, and force a hard reload on the web page by holding the CTRL key and pressing F5. Mac users should hold Command and Shift, then click the reload button.
What can I watch on Canal+?
Canal+ offers a variety of French TV shows, but there are also dubbed versions of many popular US titles. Below, we’ve listed some of the platform’s must-watch content:
- His Dark Materials
- Manhattan Lockdown
- Le Traitre
- All the Sins
- Un Fils
- This Is Us
- The Undoing
- Ligue 1 soccer
Can I watch Canal Plus in the UK?
Unfortunately, due to licensing restrictions, Canal Plus is only available in France. However, there is a workaround that will allow you to access this service while traveling in the UK, the US, or anywhere else. Simply connect to a French VPN server to spoof your IP address and make Canal+ think that you’re actually in France. Then, all you have to do is sign in and you should be able to watch your favorite shows as normal.