Usually, if you try to access ITV Hub from outside the UK, you’ll see the following error:
Oops! It looks as if there’s a problem. Please refresh your page or check out our ITV Hub Help.”
This happens because the service has checked your IP address and noticed that it doesn’t come from the UK. It doesn’t matter if you try and watch ITV Hub from the US, Spain, Ireland or anywhere else abroad it will be blocked. However, you can obtain a British IP address and trick ITV Hub into letting you watch simply by connecting to a British VPN server.
VPNs also enhance your online privacy by encrypting your traffic. This ensures that anyone who doesn’t have the correct decryption key (for instance, your internet service provider or employer) can’t see what you do online. You aren’t limited to unblocking ITV Hub either: most VPNs have servers in dozens of countries, enabling you to use region-locked platforms from all over the world.
How to watch ITV Hub from anywhere with a VPN
It’s easy to bypass regional restrictions with a VPN. Follow the steps below to watch ITV Hub from overseas:
How to watch ITV Hub online from anywhere:
- First of all, create an ITV Hub account. This service is completely free to use, although you will be asked for a postal code during registration. This isn’t used to find your location, and in fact, you can enter any British postcode.
- Sign up for one of the VPNs below (we particularly recommend NordVPN).
- Download and install the VPN app, making sure to get the correct version for your device.
- Connect to any of your VPN’s English servers.
- Try playing a video on ITV Hub. It should begin immediately but if you’re still having trouble, you can fix most issues by clearing your browser’s cookies and cache then refreshing the page.
WANT TO TRY THE TOP VPN RISK FREE?
NordVPN is offering a fully-featured risk-free 30-day trial if you sign up at this page. You can use the VPN rated #1 for ITV Hub with no restrictions for a month—great if you want to stream your favorite show or are going on a short trip.
There are no hidden terms—just contact support within 30 days if you decide NordVPN isn't right for you and you'll get a full refund. Start your NordVPN trial here.
If you’re new to VPNs, you might be struggling to decide which service is right for you. We recommend choosing a versatile, well-rounded VPN so that no matter what you’d like to do online, you’ll be protected. That’s why we’ve decided to only recommend VPNs that meet all of the criteria below (more on these later):
- Can consistently unblock ITV Hub from outside the UK
- Is fast enough to watch live HD video
- Uses effectively uncrackable encryption and includes further security options
- Doesn’t log any information that could identify you
- Provides apps for the most popular operating systems and devices
We’ll cover all of the best VPNs for using ITV Hub abroad in more detail later, but if you’re in a rush, you’ll find a brief summary of each below:
Best VPNs to watch ITV Hub abroad
- NordVPN: With more than 400 high-speed British servers, advanced security and privacy features, and strong unblocking ability, NordVPN is ideal for watching ITV outside the UK.
- Surfshark: This VPN has powerful security options, a zero-logs policy, reasonable unblocking ability, and best of all, no connection limit, allowing you to stream ITV anywhere.
- ExpressVPN: Offers high speeds and access to over 3,000 servers in 94 countries. Has a strong commitment to security, keeps no logs, and can reliably unblock ITV Hub abroad.
- CyberGhost: A fast and versatile service that just works. Has over 7,000 servers in 90+ countries, good unblocking capabilities, pre-configured security settings, and a no-logs policy.
- Private Internet Access: Includes a no-logs policy, advanced security features, and high-speed servers in 80+ countries. Can unblock several popular platforms including ITV Hub abroad.
- PrivateVPN: Strong unblocking capabilities, very fast speeds, and a wide range of security and privacy protections make PrivateVPN an excellent choice for streaming ITV outside the UK.
- AtlasVPN: A fastUS-based VPN, beginner-friendly VPN with 700 servers in 30+ countries, including the UK. Boasts strong security features and the ability to unblock ITV Hub abroad.
Best VPNs for streaming ITV Hub abroad
Below, we’ll review each of the best VPNs for ITV Hub in greater detail:
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
NordVPN has over 5,000 servers in 60 countries, around 400 of which are in the UK. One of the best things about this service is that it unblocks not just ITV Hub, but also stubborn platforms like Netflix and BBC iPlayer. Further, with reliably high speeds and up to six connections allowed, you’re free to watch whatever you like, on any device, free from buffering and lag.
This service boasts a wide range of security features including 256-bit encryption, protection against DNS, IPv6, and WebRTC leaks, an app-specific kill switch, ad-blocking, and malware-scanning. There are also specialized servers for accessing Tor over VPN or using a multi-hop VPN. NordVPN has a strict no-logging policy and recently passed its second audit to prove this. If you need help, you can reach customer support 24/7 over live chat.
NordVPN apps are available for Linux, Windows, MacOS, Android, and iOS. Manual configuration is required for network routers, however.
- Vast network of fast, low-latency servers
- Easily unblocks a wide range of geo-restricted sites
- 24/7 support
- Allows for customized security setup
- No-logs policy
- Desktop app can sometimes take a while to connect
BEST VPN FOR ITV HUB:NordVPN is our #1 choice. Offers a no-logs policy, customizable security features, and the ability to watch ITV from anywhere, at a very reasonable price. This service even comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee so you can try it risk-free.
Read our in-depth review of NordVPN.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
Surfshark offers unlimited bandwidth, the highest speeds around, and access to more than 3,200 servers in 60 countries including the UK. This service has no connection limit, and it unblocks platforms like ITV Hub, Netflix, and Amazon Prime Video abroad, so you’re free to stream whatever you like, wherever you like, on whichever device you prefer.
This VPN recently won a cybersecurity award, so it clearly has strong privacy credentials. Its security features include 256-bit encryption, a kill switch (in every version), and DNS, IPv6, and WebRTC leak protection. Surfshark doesn’t log any personally identifiable information, meaning your activities can’t be traced back to you. You can still pay with Bitcoin if you’d like. Need help? Customer support is available over live chat 24/7.
Surfshark provides apps for Windows, Android, MacOS, and iOS devices. It must be manually installed on Linux-based platforms and network routers.
- No limit on number of devices connected
- Offers a fast, reliable service
- Keeps no logs whatsoever
- Accepts three kinds of cryptocurrency
- A relatively small server network
BEST BUDGET VPN:Surfshark has high speeds, no connection limit, several advanced security features, and a no-logs policy, plus it unblocks platforms like ITV Hub abroad. A 30-day money-back guarantee is included.
Read our full Surfshark review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
ExpressVPN has over 3,000 high-speed servers in 94 countries, including the UK. With excellent unblocking ability and unlimited bandwidth, this service is ideal for using services like ITV Hub, Netflix, or All 4 from outside the UK. Plus, with up to five simultaneous connections permitted, you can stream on whichever device you prefer.
This VPN doesn’t compromise when it comes to security. It includes 256-bit AES encryption, protection against IPv6 and DNS leaks, and a kill switch which stops all data transferal if you lose connection unexpectedly. ExpressVPN doesn’t log any personally identifiable information but you’re free to pay with Bitcoin for added anonymity. Live, chat-based support is available 24/7 in case of any issues.
ExpressVPN has apps for MacOS, Windows, Linux, iOS, and Android. There’s also a new version of its custom router firmware out that offers faster, more reliable performance.
- Also great for unblocking Netflix, Hulu and other popular sites
- High speeds for downloading and video streaming
- Strong security and privacy policies
- Anonymous setup and payments available
- Doesn’t work with BBC iPlayer
WATCH ITV ANYWHERE:ExpressVPN is ideal for using ITV Hub abroad. It’s fast, security-conscious, and capable of unblocking numerous popular streaming services. ExpressVPN comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Take a look at our full ExpressVPN review.
Money-back guarantee: 45 DAYS
CyberGhost is a simple yet versatile VPN designed for novice users. It offers very high speeds, access to 7,000+ servers in 90+ countries, and the ability to unblock popular services like ITV Hub from outside the UK. Further, up to seven simultaneous connections are permitted, so you can protect all your devices with a single account.
Don’t be fooled by its user-friendly design: CyberGhost includes a wealth of security features. There’s 256-bit encryption, automatic wifi protection, a kill switch (in every version), DNS and IPv6 leak protection, malware-scanning, and ad-blocking. It even launched its own password manager and security suite recently to complement these features. CyberGhost doesn’t log any data that could identify you. Support is available over live-chat 24/7.
CyberGhost provides apps for Windows, Android, MacOS, Linux, and iOS. This service can be manually installed on some wireless routers.
- All security features enabled by default
- Especially easy to use
- Fast, streaming-optimized servers
- Very good at unblocking geo-restricted sites and content
- Less suitable for power users
BEST FOR BEGINNERS:CyberGhost makes it easy to watch ITV in other countries. It has 640+ fast UK servers, reliably unblocks ITV Hub, and includes various advanced security features. CyberGhost includes a 45-day money-back guarantee.
Check out our complete CyberGhost review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
Private Internet Access has over 10,000 servers across 80+ countries. This includes hundreds of servers in the UK so that you can stream ITV while on holiday. The VPN is ideal for HD streaming thanks to its Tier-1 server network and super-quick Wireguard implementation. PIA lets you connect up to 10 devices at once, which makes it a good option for power users.
PIA is one of the most customizable VPNs on the market. It gives users the capability to either strengthen or weaken the encryption settings depending on their specific needs. This ensures you can get the privacy and security you require whether at home or on public wifi.
Apps are available for all platforms, and they provide both Wirguard and OpenVPN connections. In addition, users get access to 256-bit AES encryption, a kill switch, DNS and IPv6 leak protection, and malware protection to keep your activities private at all times. PIA has customer support 24/7 via live chat. It also has a solid no logs policy that it has proven in court and a 30-day money-back guarantee.
- Secure and reliable
- Over 10,000 servers, including UK servers that work with ITV Hub
- Kill-switch and DNS leak protection
- 10 connections allowed
- No-logs policy
- Struggles to unblock some streaming platforms, so worth testing it out
SECURE AND CUSTOMIZABLE:More than 10,000 servers in 80+ countries. Strong security features. DNS leak protection and a kill-switch. Works with Hulu, Netflix US, ITV Hub, and numerous other services. No logs policy that it has proven in court. 10 simultaneous connections. 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full PIA review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
PrivateVPN has a smaller network than some of its rivals (200 servers in 63 countries) but it helps make up for it by providing much higher speeds. Further, PrivateVPN has excellent unblocking capabilities, allowing you to use services like Netflix, Hulu, and ITV Hub anywhere. It permits up to six connections at once, so you can even stream on the go.
This VPN keeps you safe online using 256-bit encryption, DNS, WebRTC, and IPV6 leak protection, and a kill switch (Windows only). What’s more, this company is now its own hosting provider, which means only it has access to your data. There is an option to pay with Bitcoin, but as PrivateVPN is a zero-logs provider, you can’t be traced either way. Support is available via live chat most hours of the day.
PrivateVPN has MacOS, iOS, Windows, and Android apps. It can be manually configured to work with Linux systems and home routers.
- Very fast speeds
- Gaining a reputation for unblocking popular streaming sites
- Accepts Bitcoin
- Doesn’t have 24/7 live chat
- Small (but growing) number of servers
FLAWLESS STREAMING:PrivateVPN provides consistently high speeds and allows you to easily access ITV Hub outside the UK. It offers excellent security and privacy protections including a zero-logs policy. This VPN comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Take a look at the complete PrivateVPN review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
AtlasVPN is a relatively new VPN that was recently acquired by Nord Technologies, the parent company of our top pick for ITV Hub NordVPN. This puts the service in excellent company and makes it a VPN to watch because it is likely to improve and grow quickly.
For the times being, the VPN has a relatively small network of 700 servers in 30+ countries. Most of those servers are in the USA and Europe. The servers in the UK are fantastic for accessing services like This includes Netflix UK, BBC iPlayer, Sky TV, Now TV, BT Sport, All4. In addition, the US servers work to access HBO, Netflix US, and Hulu.
The VPN is relatively cheap and despite this, you can use the VPN on an unlimited number of devices. This makes it perfect for people who own many devices, or customers who want to share their account with family members and friends. Although the VPN doesn’t have as many advanced features as NordVPN, it does have DNS leak protection, a kill switch, and a split tunneling feature.
- High speeds and strong unblocking ability
- Great for streaming
- No logs policy
- Apps for all devices
- Works with UK services, including ITV
- Fewer advanced features
- Smaller server network covers only 30 countries
FAST AND EASY TO USE:AtlasVPN is a young VPN that has quickly become a consumer favorite. It is fast thanks to its Wireguard protocol. works with many streaming services. Easy to use. Plenty of great security features. Allows torrenting. Allows unlimited connections with a single account. 30-day money back guarantee.
Find out more in our full AtlasVPN review.
Methodology: Finding the best VPNs for watching ITV Hub abroad
Not all VPNs successfully unblock ITV Hub abroad. However, this isn’t the only requirement you should have of a VPN. For example, you’ll also need unlimited bandwidth so you can stream ITV Hub without interruption. Our methodology for finding the best VPNs for watching ITV Hub takes all the following into account:
- Servers in the UK: ITV Hub is only available in the UK. All of the VPNs included in this post have UK servers so you can get a UK IP address and watch ITV Hub abroad. Of course, they also have servers in dozens of other countries such as the USA and Australia so you can access other popular websites and services.
- Speed: If a VPN’s UK servers are too slow, you’ll encounter numerous streaming issues such as low resolution, lag, and buffering. This needn’t be the case because our speed tests have identified the fastest VPNs. There’s absolutely no bandwidth throttling with any of these VPNs so streaming is uninterrupted.
- Unblocking: Traveling abroad might mean you wish to access other region-locked content. This could be another streaming service such as BBC iPlayer or even your online banking account. While some VPNs are inconsistent in this respect, the best VPNs for ITV Hub were found to offer the strongest unblocking ability.
- Security: Thanks to a combination of 256-bit AES encryption, a kill switch, and DNS leak protection, you can stream ITV Hub securely. A secure VPN is particularly important if you’re using public wifi when traveling abroad. If you need extra protection, note that some VPNs (such as NordVPN) also have Double VPN servers.
- Privacy: Having studied some 140 VPN logging policies, we have found those that best protect your privacy. Unfortunately, some VPNs don’t do this because they keep identifying logs which may be shared with authorities. Others (particularly free VPNs) may log and sell your browsing data so these should certainly be avoided.
- Ease of use: This may be the first time you’re using a VPN. As such, user-friendly VPN apps are all the more important. Not only will you be able to connect to a VPN server in seconds, you’ll even have access to live chat and email support, available 24/7. You can also find various troubleshooting guides as well, should you prefer.
- Value for money: The longer your VPN subscription, the less you’re likely to pay per month — often just a few dollars monthly. Our research has helped us find VPNs that offer all of the above features while offering great value for money. Furthermore, you can save even more on the price of a subscription with our discount coupons.
In order to determine which VPN best fits your needs, we follow our VPN testing methodology. This involves testing each VPN in multiple areas such as speed and security.
ITV Abroad FAQs
Can I use ITV Hub with a free VPN?
We strongly advise against using a free VPN for several reasons. First and foremost, they generally provide very slow speeds since they often have fewer servers yet more users than paid VPNs. This makes browsing frustrating and streaming near-impossible. Additionally, popular streaming platforms tend to block free VPNs first, so even if you manage to get a fast enough connection, you might still not be able to watch ITV Hub abroad.
There’s not even any guarantee your free VPN is safe. In fact, an analysis of 280+ free VPN apps found that almost 40% contained malware. Perhaps worst of all, 18% never used any encryption whatsoever, meaning they were effectively no safer than browsing without a VPN. You aren’t necessarily any safer with a well-known service, as we’ve seen Hola sell idle user bandwidth to help run a botnet.
Using a VPN with a user-first logging policy and a history of standing up for customer privacy is the best way to stay safe online.
What can I watch on the ITV Hub?
ITV Hub lets you watch six channels live (ITV, ITV2, ITVBe, ITV3, CITV, and ITV4), so there’s sure to be something that interests you. Below, we’ve listed some of the shows you can stream for free on ITV Hub:
Can I download the ITV Hub app outside the UK?
The ITV Hub app is only included in the British version of your favorite app stores, so unless you change your store region, you won't normally be able to download it from abroad. There are two ways around this: either find a version hosted elsewhere on the web, which we don't recommend for safety reasons, or simply install the app before you leave the UK.
Can I watch live TV on the ITV Hub?
Yes! Users can simply login and watch six ITV channels (including CITV) live, for free. There's also a ton of on-demand content just in case you can't find anything interesting to watch while flipping through the live streams.