To watch ITV live from America you will need a VPN, however not all VPNs will work with ITV. We’ll show you which do and how you can use them to stream ITV in the USA.
VPNs improve your online security by encrypting your traffic. This prevents your Internet Service Provider (ISP), employer, or government from seeing what you do online. You can also use a VPN to access sites and services from outside of their intended broadcast area. It’s very simple: these sites find the user’s location by checking their IP address, but when you connect to a VPN, you’re given a new, region-specific IP address for the country your chosen server is in.
ITV’s online streaming platform is called ITV Hub. It’s only available to users in the UK, and because of its strict geo-restriction measures, not every VPN can unblock it abroad.
How to watch ITV in the USA with a VPN
VPNs can seem daunting, but they’re actually fairly simple to use. Below, we’ll explain how to watch ITV in the USA or from anywhere else:
- Start by registering for one of the VPNs below (we recommend NordVPN).
- Download and install the software, ensuring you get the appropriate version for your device.
- Connect to one of your VPN’s servers in the UK.
- Log in to ITV Hub and try to play a video. It should load immediately, but if not, try clearing your browser’s cache and cookies, then reload the page.
WANT TO TRY THE TOP VPN RISK FREE?
NordVPN is offering a fully-featured risk-free 30-day trial if you sign up at this page. You can use the VPN rated #1 for ITV with no restrictions for a month. That’s perfect for any traveler looking to stream their usual content while on vacation abroad.
There are no hidden terms—just contact support within 30 days if you decide NordVPN isn't right for you and you'll get a full refund. Start your NordVPN trial here.
Choosing the best VPNs for streaming ITV abroad
Deciding which VPN to use is rarely as simple as it should be. New services appear all the time, and each offers different features. To make things easier, when finding the best VPNs for watching ITV in the US, we decided to only recommend services meeting all of the criteria below:
- Unblocks ITV Hub and similar British streaming services
- Provides fast, reliable connections
- Logs no personally identifiable information
- Uses powerful encryption and offers various additional security features
- Provides apps for the most popular platforms and devices
We’ll cover our recommended VPNs in greater detail later, but if you’re in a rush, you can find a brief overview of each below:
- NordVPN Our top choice. An exceptionally versatile VPN with high speeds, advanced security features, and the ability to unblock ITV from anywhere. Comes with a risk-free 30-day money-back guarantee.
- Surfshark Best budget pick. Boasts excellent unblocking ability, a no-logs policy, and a wide range of security features.
- ExpressVPN With a strong focus on security, privacy, and speed, as well as excellent unblocking ability, ExpressVPN is ideal for streaming ITV in the USA.
- CyberGhost This service boasts high-speed, streaming-optimized servers, pre-configured security, and a novice-friendly interface.
- IPVanish A fast, lightweight service with a high connection limit and strong multi-platform support, IPVanish is perfect for streaming while on the go.
- PrivateVPN Offers better-than-average speeds, keeps no logs, and easily unblocks several popular platforms including ITV Hub.
- Hotspot Shield Fast and reliable, with a strong commitment to your security, Hotspot Shield makes it easy to watch ITV Hub, wherever you are in the world.
Best VPNs for watching ITV in the USA
Take a look below to find out which VPNs are best at unblocking ITV abroad:
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
NordVPN has one of the largest networks of any major provider: more than 5,000 servers in 60 countries, and over 400 in the UK alone. This is a very fast service, boasting excellent unblocking capabilities; it lets you securely access not just ITV, but also several other British platforms including BBC iPlayer, Amazon Prime Video, and All 4.
This VPN includes several advanced security features. There’s 256-bit encryption, an app-specific kill switch, an adblocker, a malware scanner, and protection against DNS, WebRTC, IPv6, and port-forwarding leaks. You can even use two VPNs at once, or connect to Tor over a VPN if you’d like. NordVPN keeps no logs, so your activities can’t be traced back to you. Customer support is available 24/7 via live chat in case of any problems.
NordVPN apps are available for MacOS, Linux, Windows, iOS, and Android. It can be manually installed on select wireless routers.
- Expansive server network
- Veteran provider that doesn’t skimp on security or privacy features
- No-logs policy
- Speeds are among the fastest we’ve seen
- Desktop app can be awkward to use
BEST VPN FOR ITV:NordVPN is our #1 choice. It offers offers high speeds, exceptional unblocking ability, and the freedom to tailor your security to meet your needs. There’s also a risk-free 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full review of NordVPN
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
Surfshark has 3,200+ servers spread across 60+ countries. It’s a strong choice for streaming, not only because of its speeds, but because it works with major platforms like Netflix, ITV Hub, and Hulu from anywhere. Even better, unlike most of its rivals, this VPN has no connection limit. This allows you to protect all of your devices simultaneously.
This service uses 256-bit AES encryption, a kill switch, and protection against WebRTC, IPv6, and DNS leaks to keep your activities private at all times. More importantly, Surfshark doesn’t log any data that could identify you. There is the option to pay in cryptocurrency for even greater privacy, though. The apps are very easy-to-use but if you need help, customer support is on-hand 24/7 over live chat.
Surfshark comes with apps for Windows, Linux, Android, MacOS, and iOS. It can be manually installed on supported network routers.
- Connect as many devices as you like
- Works with ITV and many similar services
- Keeps no logs and accepts three kinds of cryptocurrency
- 24/7 live chat support
- Customer support could be improved
BEST BUDGET CHOICE:Surfshark is an affordable, security-conscious VPN. It not only unblocks ITV in the US, it lets you watch in the highest possible quality, on any of your devices too. This service comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full Surfshark review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
ExpressVPN has more than 3,000 servers in 94 countries including the UK. This is a fast, reliable VPN that enables you to watch live HD video without any lag or buffering. Better still, it can securely access major streaming services including ITV Hub and Netflix UK from abroad.
This service ensures your traffic is hidden at all times with a combination of 256-bit encryption, a kill switch (which stops all data transferal should you disconnect suddenly), perfect forward secrecy, and protection against DNS and IPv6 leaks. While you can pay with Bitcoin for added anonymity, ExpressVPN doesn’t log any identifiable information so you’re protected either way. Need help? You can reach customer support 24/7 over live chat.
ExpressVPN provides apps for Windows, MacOS, Linux, Android, and iOS devices. It includes custom firmware to make installing the service on a router as straightforward as possible.
- No issues streaming UK TV while abroad
- Consistent, speedy connections
- Hard to beat on privacy and security
- Pay anonymously with Bitcoin
- Slightly more expensive than rivals
QUICK AND RELIABLE:ExpressVPN is a speedy, versatile service. that puts major emphasis on your online security and privacy. Best of all, it comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full review of ExpressVPN
Money-back guarantee: 45 DAYS
CyberGhost currently has more than 7,000 servers in 90+ countries (including almost 700 servers in the UK). It’s designed to make streaming as simple as possible: each server shows the service it works with, and the current server load. Further, speeds are high enough to stream live HD content with no noticeable buffering. CyberGhost allows up to seven simultaneous connections, while most of its rivals allow six at most.
One of this service’s biggest advantages is that all of its security features are enabled by default. These include 256-bit encryption, DNS and IPv6 leak protection, ad blocking, malware scanning, and a kill switch (in both desktop and mobile apps). CyberGhost does not log any personally identifiable information but allows you to sign up anonymously if you wish. It’s a very user-friendly service but support is available over live chat 24/7 just in case you need it.
CyberGhost has Windows, MacOS, Linux, Android, and iOS apps. It works with select network routers but must be manually configured first.
- Fast, streaming-optimized servers
- Solid privacy and security features enabled by default
- Low-cost option with beginner-friendly apps
- Lack of configuration options may frustrate power users
ANOTHER VALUE OPTION:CyberGhost is fast, affordable, and ideal for accessing geo-blocked services like ITV Hub abroad. Its plans include a 45-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full review of CyberGhost
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
IPVanish offers access to more than 1,900 servers spread across 60+ countries including the UK. This service is fast, reliable, and lightweight, with decent unblocking capabilities, which is why it’s long been a favorite of those looking to stream on mobile devices. Further, it permits any number of simultaneous connections, which sets it apart from most other VPNs.
This VPN secures your traffic using a combination of 256-bit encryption, a kill switch (desktop versions only), and IPv6 and DNS leak protection. You can choose to obfuscate your OpenVPN traffic, which helps hide the fact that you’re using a VPN at all. IPVanish has a no-logs policy, so there’s no risk of your activities being traced back to you. Customer support representatives are ready to help via 24/7 live chat.
IPVanish offers apps for Windows, MacOS, Android, iOS, and Amazon Fire TV and Firestick. Manual installation is required for use with Linux-based platforms or home routers.
- Very fast speeds
- Impressive security and privacy features
- Completely logless service won’t compromise your privacy
- Doesn’t accept Bitcoin
STREAM ITV ANYWHERE:IPVanish is a high-speed, security-conscious VPN with no connection limit and strong multi-platform support. It includes a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full review of IPVanish
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
PrivateVPN has fewer servers than some of its rivals (200 in 63 countries, including the UK), but it provides above-average speeds and works reliably with a wide range of stubborn streaming platforms including ITV Hub, BBC iPlayer, Netflix UK, and All 4. Up to 10 simultaneous connections are allowed, meaning you can protect most, if not all, of your devices at once.
This service uses 256-bit encryption, DNS, WebRTC, and IPv6 leak protection, and a kill switch to keep you safe at all times. You can pay with Bitcoin if you’d like, but PrivateVPN has a strict no-logs policy, so you’re near-completely anonymous either way. Live chat is available 22 hours per day (excluding 1-3PM PST) and if you’re struggling, the staff can remotely install and set up the software for you.
PrivateVPN provides Windows, Android, MacOS, and iOS apps. It can be manually installed on Linux devices and internet routers.
- Speeds are good enough for high-quality streaming
- Great for streaming UK TV
- Zero-logs provider
- Small number of servers
- Live chat is not around the clock
NO-STRESS STREAMING:PrivateVPN boasts high speeds, excellent unblocking ability, and a strong commitment to your privacy. Further, it offers a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full review of PrivateVPN
Hotspot Shield operates over 1,800 servers in 80+ countries, which means it’s a great way to unblock geo-restricted streaming platforms. In fact, as well as letting you watch ITV Hub, this VPN unblocks services like All 4, BBC iPlayer, and more. Further, as you can connect up to five devices at once, you’re free to watch on whichever device you like the most.
This service comes with a wide range of security features including 256-bit encryption, protection against DNS and IPv6 leaks, and a kill switch (that automatically stops all data transferral should you lose your connection to the VPN. Hotspot Shield doesn’t keep any personally identifiable information once you’ve disconnected. If you run into any problems, you can reach customer support via live chat, 24/7.
Hotspot Shield provides apps for MacOS, Linux, Windows, iOS, and Android. Manual configuration is required for use on supported routers.
- Consistently high speeds
- Strong on security
- Unblocks ITV Hub from anywhere
- Some past privacy issues
- No anonymous payment options
USER-FRIENDLY VPN:Hotspot Shield is very easy-to-use but don’t be fooled: it has plenty of powerful security features, strong unblocking ability, and high speeds. There’s even a 45-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full Hotspot Shield review.
Can I stream ITV abroad with a free VPN?
You might be tempted to use a free VPN, but we advise against doing so. Despite having more users than paid services, free VPNs usually don’t have enough servers to meet demand and provide the speeds needed for HD streaming. This means videos are likely to buffer for long periods of time if they play at all. Additionally, free VPNs often can’t bypass the strict geo-restriction measures used by platforms like ITV Hub, meaning you may not be able to watch anything.
Then there’s the question of security. Recent analysis of 283 free VPN apps found that over 38% contained malware, 18% used no encryption at all, and more than 80% leaked personal information over IPv6. There’s no guarantee a larger service will be any safer though: we’ve even seen a major free VPN sell its users’ bandwidth to facilitate a botnet.
The most effective way to protect yourself online is to use a reputable, well-established VPN with a proven record of standing up for its customers’ privacy.
Methodology: How we chose the best VPNs for ITV
For a VPN to be a good choice for streaming ITV abroad, it has to balance several key factors. Below, we’ll explore these and explain why each is so important. This should give you a better understanding of why we chose the VPNs we did, and what to look for when comparing VPNs in the future.
- British servers: ITV Hub is geo-blocked, so you’ll need access to British servers to watch abroad. We looked for providers with lots of servers scattered across England (and to a lesser extent, Scotland). This is because having multiple locations allows you to minimize the distance between you and your chosen server, which can help reduce lag.
- Speeds: Live streaming ITV requires a decent connection, so we decided to only highlight VPNs that stood out in our latest speed testing. This way, you shouldn’t run into any issues, and the quality of your stream should hold up, even when other people are sharing your internet connection.
- Streaming potential: You’ll often find that VPNs work with some streaming services but struggle with others. With this in mind, we searched for VPNs that worked reliably with popular British services like ITV Hub, STV Player, BBC iPlayer, Now TV, and Netflix UK.
- Security offering: To ensure your online activities are hidden from snoopers like your ISP, we require our top VPNs to use 256-bit encryption, a kill switch, and leak protection. Additionally, they must not log any info that could be used to identify you.
- User-friendliness: The easier VPNs are to use, the better it is for everyone. We strongly prefer services with 24/7 live chat, multi-platform support, and no connection limits. Other sought-after features include servers designed for streaming and one-click connection.
This is far from the only testing we perform. To find out more, read our full VPN testing methodology post.
Streaming ITV in the USA: Your questions answered
Why else should I use a VPN?
ITV isn’t the only service that a VPN lets you access abroad. Betting sites like Betfred and Unibet are often only available in the UK, but you can use them as normal by connecting to a British server beforehand. VPNs also allow you to securely access your RBS, HSBC, or NatWest online banking service. As an added bonus, they reduce the chance of triggering an automated fraud alert simply because you logged in from a different country.
Public wifi networks are convenient, but rarely well-secured. As a result, they’re a popular target for hackers. However, as VPNs encrypt your traffic, your activities are kept private and can’t be read by anyone. Additionally, since your traffic is routed through servers elsewhere in the world, VPNs are an easy way to bypass web filtering imposed by the government or hotspot owner.
What can I watch on the ITV Hub?
ITV Hub enables you to stream six TV channels (ITV, ITV2, ITVBe, ITV3, ITV4, CITV) live and free of charge. There’s a wide selection of on-demand content too, and below, we’ve listed some of the service’s most popular titles:
- Dancing on Ice
- Love Island
- The Only Way is Essex
- Family Guy
- I'm a Celebrity... Get Me Out of Here!
- The Chase
- Coronation Street
- Cold Feet
I'm using a VPN, why is ITV still not working?
If you still can't watch ITV even when connected to a VPN, it's possible that ITV is still using old location data. To prevent this, just clear your browser's cookies and refresh the page. Still no luck? You may want to try a different server or get in touch with your VPN's support eam directly. They should be able to tell you if the service is supported, and if so, which server to use.
Do I need a TV License to watch ITV Hub?
British law says that you need a TV license to watch any live broadcast at the same time as it is being shown on TV. In other words, it’s perfectly legal to stream on-demand content from ITV Hub without a TV license. Note that BBC iPlayer is the one exception; you’ll need a license if you use this service at all, even if it’s only to watch TV shows on-demand.
Can I create an ITV Hub account abroad?
Before you can watch anything, you’ll have to create an account. To begin, go to ITV Hub’s registration page. Most of the information you’ll be asked to enter is fairly standard, but ITV also asks you for your postal code. You can enter any English postal code here, since ITV doesn’t actually check to see if you live there. Note that Scottish postal codes will not be accepted; viewers in Scotland can either enter an English postal code or use ITV’s regional streaming platform, the STV Player, instead.
Once you’ve entered your information, click Submit and verify your email address. Now, you can simply connect to a VPN server in England, log into ITV Hub, and start streaming.