If you’re encountering problems when trying to watch ITV Hub abroad with a VPN, there are a few solutions you can try. We explain how to get your VPN working with ITV Hub and VPNs to use that can unblock ITV if yours doesn’t work.
Like most major streaming services, ITV Hub is region-locked. In other words, it checks your IP address to find your location, and if you’re not in a supported country and not using a VPN, you won’t be able to watch. Instead, you’ll see an error that reads “Sorry! This video isn’t available right now.”
Normally, ITV Hub’s geo-blocking simply stops you from using the service when you travel abroad. It has a second purpose, though: if you’re in Scotland, you’ll notice that sometimes, you’ll be forced to watch specific shows on STV Player instead. Luckily, it’s fairly easy to get around these restrictions; take a look below to find out which VPNs still work with ITV Hub, and how to fix any problems you might run into.
Why doesn’t my VPN work with ITV Hub?
ITV Hub has gotten quite good at detecting VPNs in recent years. This makes sense — it is, after all, run by one of the biggest broadcasters in the UK. Unfortunately, there are many reasons why your VPN might not be working with ITV Hub, and it’s not always easy to tell which is causing your specific problem.
Here are some of the most common reasons why ITV Hub is preventing you from watching anything:
- ITV Hub has previously realized that you’re outside of the UK and has saved a cookie or cache data to your device noting this information
- The VPN server you’re using has been blacklisted by ITV
- ITV Hub is detecting traffic patterns that correspond to VPN usage
- Your IP address location and GPS location are different
- The VPN you’re using is leaking your real IP address (and therefore, your real location)
- Your chosen server is simply unable to get around ITV Hub’s geo-restrictions
- You’re connected to a virtual server and ITV Hub can tell that its real location is outside of the UK
How to resolve VPN issues when streaming ITV Hub
There are a few steps we can take to try and fix any VPN issues you might be facing. It’s important to try ITV Hub after each step, since this will help us figure out exactly what was causing the problem in the first place.
- First, clear your browser’s cookies and cache. This will prevent ITV Hub from relying on old location data and force it to find your location again.
- Check your VPN settings to make sure that IPv6 and DNS leak protection are enabled. You can also disable IPv6 altogether.
- Try switching to a different VPN protocol or enabling a stealth mode (if available).
- Change to a different server (those in London are usually a good choice).
- Not working on mobile? See if your VPN works on a desktop PC. If so, it’s likely that ITV Hub has noticed a discrepancy between your phone’s GPS location and the country pointed to by your IP address.
- If nothing else has worked, contact your VPN provider directly to see if there are specific servers optimized for unblocking ITV Hub. Staff may even be able to tell you outright if the service is blocking your VPN.
- If your VPN no longer supports ITV Hub you will need to switch to a more reliable provider (we’ve found NordVPN works really well).
WANT TO TRY THE TOP VPN RISK FREE?
NordVPN is offering a fully-featured risk-free 30-day trial if you sign up at this page. You can use the VPN rated #1 for ITV Hub with no restrictions for a month. Needless to say, this is ideal for anyone hoping to watch their favorite show while outside of the UK.
There are no hidden terms—just contact support within 30 days if you decide NordVPN isn't right for you and you'll get a full refund. Start your NordVPN trial here.
How to unblock ITV Hub from abroad using a VPN
New to VPNs and not sure how to get started? It’s easier than you might think to unblock ITV Hub from abroad.
Here’s a quick step-by-step guide to streaming ITV Hub from anywhere:
- First of all, you’ll have to choose a suitable VPN. We recommend NordVPN although Surfshark and ExpressVPN are two speedy and secure alternatives.
- Download and install the VPN app. Don’t worry if you like to watch on multiple devices since most VPNs let you connect around five at once.
- Visit the ITV Hub website and create a free account. You’ll be asked to enter a British postal code but there’s no real verification here so any valid code will work.
- Connect to a British VPN server.
- Finally, try playing a video on ITV Hub. If you run into any problems, just consult the troubleshooting guide above.
Which VPNs still work with ITV Hub?
VPNs that work reliably with ITV Hub are few and far between. That said, there are a few that can still unblock this service. Here are the VPNs we’ve found most reliable for ITV Hub:
- NordVPN: Our first choice for ITV Hub. Boasts high speeds, a great security toolkit, and a risk-free 30-day money-back guarantee. Also works with BBC iPlayer and Netflix UK.
- Surfshark: The best way to stream ITV on a budget. A fast, zero-logs VPN with no connection limit. Unblocks all of your favorite services including ITV Hub and All4.
- ExpressVPN: A well-respected service with impressive speeds and an excellent security offering. Ideal for any day-to-day task whether it’s streaming, browsing, or torrenting.
- CyberGhost: Quick, affordable, and easy to use. Has around 700 UK servers, plus some that are optimized for streaming. Includes a wide array of pre-configured security tools.
- PrivateVPN: This service puts your privacy first but doesn’t compromise on speed or unblocking ability to do so. Keeps no logs and unblocks ITV Hub with ease.
- Hotspot Shield: This speedy, reliable VPN has British streaming servers that unblock BBC iPlayer, ITV Hub, and Netflix UK from anywhere. Has a strong set of security tools too.
Live streaming ITV: FAQs
Can I stream ITV Hub with a free VPN?
Is it technically possible to unblock ITV Hub with a free VPN? Yes. In practise, though, this isn’t likely to work. To begin with, ITV Hub has VPN-detection systems that plenty of paid VPNs can’t beat. Additionally, free VPNs tend to be very slow, and even if yours isn’t, you’ll likely have to contend with poor quality video and buffering.
Next, there are security issues to consider. We’ve seen plenty of free VPNs mislead users about how secure they really are, with some not even bothering to encrypt your data at all. Of course, this assumes you don’t inadvertently install a Trojan designed to take advantage of people who put their privacy first. In short, you won’t be able to rely on a free service for speed, security, or streaming, so why bother using them at all?
Is it legal to watch ITV Hub from outside of the UK?
In most countries, it’s not against the law to access geo-blocked content with a VPN. However, doing so does go against ITV Hub’s terms of service. Still, you’re not going to be banned simply for trying to use the platform with a VPN active (although even if you were, ITV Hub is free to use, so there’d be nothing stopping you from creating a new account). The worst that’s likely to happen is you’ll see an error when trying to play videos.
What can I watch on ITV Hub?
ITV Hub lets you stream six channels live. These are:
Naturally, users also have access to a huge on-demand catalog featuring recently-aired episodes of the networks’ biggest shows. Here are just a few of the titles currently available:
- Coronation Street
- Love Island
- Loose Women
- This Morning
- The Chase
- Dinner Date
Still struggling to watch UK TV abroad? Our video has some tips