Are you interested in watching ITV shows like Coronation Street, Emmerdale, or Love Island? Unfortunately, while ITV Hub is free to watch, it’s also geo-locked so that it’s unavailable outside the UK. Fortunately for those traveling abroad on vacation, you can securely access this service from anywhere by connecting to a Virtual Private Network (VPN).
We’ll go into much more detail throughout this piece, but if you need a quick summary, here are the best VPNs for ITV Hub:
- Surfshark: Best budget VPN. Works with ITV Hub and similar services. Decent speeds and a strong focus on online security.
- ExpressVPN: A veteran when it comes to accessing geo-restricted content like ITV Hub and most UK-based streaming platforms. No skimping on security or speed.
- CyberGhost: Does a fine job without breaking the bank. Top security and excellent connection speeds. Works with ITV Hub.
- PrivateVPN: Impressive up-and-coming VPN that works well with ITV Hub and other video streaming services.
- IPVanish: Top marks for speed and works well with the ITV Player.
- AtlasVPN: A fast, secure service that easily accesses ITV Hub and iPlayer abroad.
WANT TO TRY THE TOP VPN RISK FREE?
VPNs encrypt your network traffic and route it through a server in a different location with a local IP address. This means that if you choose a UK server, it will appear as though you’re connecting from within the UK. You can, therefore, get full access to content from ITV, the BBC, and more when abroad, no matter if you are in the USA, Spain, France, Dubai, Australia or anywhere else in the world. Further, because your traffic is encrypted, your Internet Service Provider (ISP) can’t tell that you’re streaming and is less likely to throttle your internet connection speeds.
Best VPNs for ITV Hub – at a glance
We’ve compared the most important features for the top VPNs here. Prefer to read the in-depth reviews? Start with NordVPN – our #1 choice for ITV Hub.
No value NordVPN Surfshark ExpressVPN CyberGhost IPVanish PrivateVPN Website www.NordVPN.com www.Surfshark.com www.ExpressVPN.com www.Cyberghost.com www.IPVanish.com www.PrivateVPN.com Ranking for ITV Hub 1 2 3 4 5 6 UK servers 440+ servers 3 cities 4 locations 3 cities / 585 servers 5 cities / 111 servers 2 cities Streaming services ITV Hub
Avg Speed (UK) 100+ Mbps 100+ Mbps 100+ Mbps 100+ Mbps 100+ Mbps 57 Mbps Devices Supported Windows, MacOS, iOS, Android, Linux, Smart TVs, Routers Windows, MacOS, iOS, Android, Linux Windows, MacOS, iOS, Android, Linux Windows, MacOS, Linux (command line), iOS, Android Windows, MacOS, iOS, Android Windows, MacOS, iOS, Android Best deal (per month) $3.09
SAVE 62% + 3 months FREE
Get 3 Months FREE with a 2-year plan
SAVE: 49% on the annual plan
SAVE 82% on the 3 year plan + 3 months FREE
SAVE 77% on the 2 year plan
SAVE 82% on the three year plan
We’ve already covered the best VPNs for accessing BBC iPlayer, so this guide will focus on which are best for the ITV Hub Player. To identify the services that work well with this platform, we looked for VPNs with the following characteristics (more on our testing process later):
- Has servers in the UK
- Offers stable network connections and fast speeds
- Keeps no logs of personally identifiable information
- Provides strong encryption and security measures
- Offers multi-platform support (Mac, Windows, Android, iPhone)
- Tested and working with ITV Hub
Here is our list of the best VPN service providers for ITV:
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
NordVPN is one of the best VPNs when it comes to watching video content online. All NordVPN’s servers are optimized for HD streaming devices and with more than 5,300 servers in 60 countries, buffering time is kept to a minimum. It works with dozens of streaming services too, including BBC iPlayer, Hulu, and of course, the ITV Hub.
NordVPN uses 256-bit AES military-grade encryption and is completely log-free (a fact that was verified in its most recent audit). It only stores a user’s email address and billing information. DNS leak protection, a process-specific kill switch, anti-malware, and ad-blocking features are also included, and a recent updates brought NordLynx, a privacy-focused protocol based on WireGuard. making NordVPN an excellent choice for general web browsing as well as streaming.
NordVPN has dedicated apps for popular desktop and mobile devices that run Windows, MacOS, Linux iOS, and Android. It can be manually installed on some routers.
- Works well with streaming ITV Hub
- Excellent security and encryption standards
- Has the fastest servers on the market
- Keeps no logs
- Confidently bypasses restrictions on major geo-locked platforms
- Some servers take longer to connect to
BEST VPN FOR ITV HUB:NordVPN is our top choice. A solid ITV Hub performer. Connects up to 6 devices simultaneously. Also works well with most popular streaming services and achieves consistently impressive connection speeds. Great security with no-logs policy and a risk-free 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full NordVPN review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
Surfshark offers access to a network of over 3,200 servers in 65+ countries including the UK. Its speeds are reliable and definitely more than enough to stream live TV. As well as unblocking ITV Hub, this service lets you use platforms like BBC iPlayer and All 4. Best of all, with no connection limit, you can protect all of your devices at once.
This service keeps your activities private using AES 256-bit encryption, a kill switch, and protection against DNS, IPv6, and WebRTC leaks. It also recently introduced a tool that checks to see if your password has been leaked online. Advanced features include automatic ad-blocking and malware-scanning, plus a NoBorders mode that hides the fact that you’re using a VPN in the first place. Surfshark doesn’t log any information that could identify you and offers 24/7 customer support over live chat.
Surfshark provides Android, iOS, Windows, MacOS, and Linux apps. It can be manually configured for use with select internet routers.
- Works with plenty of streaming services including ITV Hub
- Extremely high connection speeds
- Strong security features
- Zero-logs policy
- No connection limit
- Customer support could be better
BEST BUDGET VPN:Surfshark boasts great speeds, no connection limit, and the ability to unblock ITV Hub while traveling abroad. This low-cost service even comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
ExpressVPN has a global network with servers in more than 90 countries, making it a strong choice for those looking to watch live streams on the ITV Player. It’s also capable of securely accessing Netflix and All 4, among others. Best of all, this is one of the fastest VPNs on the market.
ExpressVPN takes security seriously. It offers 256-bit AES military-level encryption, DNS leak protection, perfect forward secrecy, and a VPN kill switch. While not completely log-free, this VPN only keeps the information required to diagnose network issues. Users can register anonymously; this VPN provider accepts bitcoin and has a .onion version of their website.
ExpressVPN has apps for Windows, Linux, Mac, Android, and iOS. It even has its own custom app for routers, which saw an update recently. This brought in higher speeds, more functionality, and a better overall experience.
- Most impressive during our tests accessing ITV Hub
- Fast connection speeds for streaming platforms and torrenting
- Industry-leading security features
- Safely stream a variety of content, including Netflix
- Slightly higher monthly price
STREAM ITV HUB ANYWHERE:ExpressVPN is a solid choice. A vast network of streaming servers that is fine-tuned for high-speed connections. Works well with all major streaming-based platforms including Netflix, Amazon Prime, and Sky Go. Hard to beat on privacy and security. Has a 30-day no-quibbles money-back guarantee.
Read our full review of ExpressVPN.
Money-back guarantee: 45 DAYS
CyberGhost has over 600 servers in the UK, meaning you should be able to access ITV Hub without any issues. It even has dedicated streaming servers that allows you to safely access popular streaming platforms like Netflix, YouTube, and BBC iPlayer in a single click.
CyberGhost is ideal for people looking to protect several devices as easily as possible. CyberGhost can automatically check for malware and block ads. Users can avail themselves of its 256-bit encryption to stay as safe as possible no matter which of their seven allowed devices they’re using. Further, this VPN just released its own password manager and security suite for Windows, making it a strong all-in-one provider for novice users.
CyberGhost has a true no-logs policy. This ensures that your online activities cannot be traced back to you, even if requested by a third-party.
CyberGhost has apps for Windows, MacOS, Android, Linux and iOS. It can be manually configured to work with specific wireless routers.
- Good value choice for ITV Hub
- Beginners will appreciate the simplicity of their apps
- Some of the fastest streaming servers we’ve tested
- Works with lots of streaming services
- Won’t work in China or the UAE
- Doesn’t provide much control over advanced features
GREAT BEGINNER OPTION:CyberGhost is great for beginners. Easy to use. A vast number of optimized servers in the UK makes them ideal for ITV Hub. Stores no logs and streams HD video reliably. 45-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full CyberGhost review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
PrivateVPN is capable of securely accessing streaming services like Netflix (both in the app or a browser) and even works in China, unlike many of its rivals. PrivateVPN only has two servers in the UK but manages to provide better than average speeds despite this. Assuming your base connection is quick enough, you’ll even be able to stream 4K content when connected.
PrivateVPN is a service that emphasizes security above all else. It uses 256-bit AES encryption and is completely logless. DNS and IPv6 leak protection are included, as is a kill switch. PrivateVPN is its own hosting provider and ISP, which means no other company has access to any of your data. 10 devices can be connected at once so it’s great for homes with multiple computers and smartphones.
PrivateVPN has apps for Android, Windows, MacOS, and iOS. It can be manually installed on Linux systems and some routers.
- Works well with ITV Hub
- Works with a good range of streaming sites, even in China
- Strong emphasis on online privacy and secure apps
- We’d prefer their live chat to be 24/7
- Global server coverage isn’t great
GREAT SPEED:PrivateVPN is a good family choice. Works well with ITV Hub and allows up to 10 devices on the same account. Small server count. 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full PrivateVPN review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
IPVanish is a lightweight, highly configurable VPN with excellent multi-platform support. It allows any number of simultaneous connections and recent infrastructural improvements have led to faster, more reliable connections. As such, this is a strong choice for those looking to stream HD content. While IPVanish doesn’t work with as many streaming services as some of its rivals, it can unblock the ITV Player without any problems.
This VPN uses 256-bit AES encryption and allows users to enable several other security options. These include DNS and IPv6 leak protection, a kill switch, a LAN traffic blocker, and OpenVPN obfuscation. There’s also a zero-logs policy and WireGuard support. Support is available 24/7 via live chat.
IPVanish has apps for Windows, Mac, iOS, Android, and Amazon Fire TV Stick. It can also be manually configured for Linux and certain wireless routers.
- No issues getting it working with ITV Hub
- Fast servers are great for streaming and downloading
- Preferred by Kodi and Firestick TV for its remote-friendly apps
- Doesn’t accept Bitcoin
- Struggles with some streaming services
LARGE NETWORK:IPVanish works with any number of connected devices. Great for families and multiple VPN connections. Works well with ITV Hub. 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full IPVanish review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
AtlasVPN is a fast VPN with a global server network of 750 servers in 40+ countries (including the UK). It’s capable of securely accessing not just ITV Hub, but other major platforms including Netflix UK, BBC iPlayer, Sky TV, Now TV, BT Sport, All4, and also US services like Hulu. It is fast enough for streaming in HD on those platforms thanks to its WireGuard protocol.
Best of all this VPN is pretty cheap for what you get. The apps are well-rounded, feature-rich, and available for all platforms. Plus, you can install and use those apps on an unlimited number of devices. This means you can share your account with friends or family without a second thought.
This service keeps you safe with malware filtering, a kill switch, and protection against DNS leaks. The latest version of the app boasts IKEv2 encryption with robust AES-256 encryption. It also has a solid no logs policy. Plus, you can try it using its money-back guarantee.
Atlas VPN apps are available for MacOS, Windows, iOS, and Android.
- Faster than many other VPNs
- Works with ITV Hub with ease
- Apps for all platforms
- Strong encryption and a no-logs policy
- WireGuard and IKEv2 protocols available
- Fewer advanced features than our number 1 choice
- Fewer server countries to pick from
FLAWLESS STREAMING:Atlas VPN provides incredible performance for streaming British TV platforms. It easily works with ITV Hub from outside of the UK. Provides excellent speeds thanks to its WireGuard protocol. Easy to use on all devices. Allows unlimited connections. 30-day money-back guarantee.
Find out more in our review of AtlasVPN
How to watch ITV Hub abroad with a VPN
Unblocking platforms like the ITV Hub abroad is very simple, with the right VPN. Just follow the steps below.
Here’s how to watch ITV Hub abroad with a VPN:
- Start by signing up for one of the VPNs listed above (we recommend NordVPN).
- Download the VPN software, making sure to get the relevant version for your device.
- Connect to one of your VPN’s British servers (note: if you use a Scottish server, you’ll have to use the STV Player instead of the ITV Hub).
- Try to stream a video on the ITV Hub. You should find that it loads immediately but if not, you can solve most issues by clearing your browser’s cache and cookies, then refreshing the page.
ITV VPN Error Codes
So you’ve chosen a VPN, connected to a British server, and sat down, ready to stream only to be confronted by the following error message:
“Oops! It looks as if there’s a problem. Please refresh your page or check out our ITV Hub Help.”
“Sorry! This video isn’t available right now. Check out our Shows section for more great programmes.”
These errors aren’t especially helpful, but until recently they were even worse, simply stating “Error ref: 006” or “Error 2000”, with no further details. The reason you’re seeing these is simple: either you’re outside of the UK, or ITV Hub has detected that you’re using a VPN — this is especially common if you’ve tried to stream using a free service.
Most of the time, just clearing your cookies and connecting to a British VPN server is enough to fix these issues. However, if problems persist, it’s a good idea to contact your provider’s support team for more assistance. If they can’t help, you may have to consider a different VPN from the list above.
Can I use a free VPN to watch ITV?
We advise against using a free VPN to watch ITV, especially if you want to watch live content. Free VPN services usually have more users and fewer servers than their paid counterparts, which they try to compensate for by imposing bandwidth caps and wait times. The end result is a slow, unstable connection that leaves you unsatisfied.
Consider how a free VPN service makes money. Because they’re in control of your network traffic, they’re capable of showing ads on every page you visit, injecting tracking cookies to monitor your activities, or selling your browsing habits to third parties.
Unfortunately, free VPN companies have a history of these shady practices. Recently, we’ve seen cases where VPNs are bundled with malware, users’ bandwidth is sold without their knowledge, and people are misled about the kind of logs that are kept. To stay safe, we recommend using a reputable VPN service with clear logging and privacy policies.
What’s the difference between ITV and STV?
ITV actually has separate channels for different parts of the UK. ITV is the main channel and is used in England and Wales. STV is Scotland’s ITV channel. There are a few reasons why this is significant when you’re using a VPN.
First, before you can use the ITV Player, you have to create an ITV Hub account. The problem is that there are separate sites for the ITV and STV Players, and these accounts can’t be used interchangeably. You’ll have to make sure you use the right player for the region of the server you’ve connected to.
ITV and STV broadcast similar high-quality content but it’s not always identical. The biggest example here is the news, with STV covering Scottish issues. However, specific shows are very occasionally shown at different times on STV than on ITV.
UTV is Northern Ireland’s version of ITV. Viewers in Northern Ireland don’t have their own player, or even full access to the ITV Player. For this reason, we’d recommend avoiding Northern Irish server locations if you’d like to watch ITV.
How to register and watch via the ITV Hub
If you try using the ITV Player from outside of the UK without a VPN, you’ll see a message saying “We’re sorry. This video isn’t available right now. Check out our Shows section for more great programmes”.
This can be easily resolved by connecting to one of your VPN’s English servers. However, there are a few more steps to take before you’ll be able to watch anything.
First, you’ll need to register by clicking the Sign in link in the top-right of the screen. Next, click Sign up now. Enter your name and email address in the form on the following page. You’ll then be prompted to enter your postcode.
The ITV Hub uses this postcode to direct you to the correct web player, so be sure to use a UK postcode. Some, like the one used by Buckingham Palace, are blocked, but you can easily find a postcode that works by right-clicking on a random English street in Google Maps and choosing the “What’s here?” option.
Once you accept the terms and conditions, click Submit. You should now be able to watch six different ITV channels to your heart’s content. It should be noted that ITV’s on-demand content and streams contain ads. While some of these ads can be disabled with a premium membership, this requires a British bank account, and as such, isn’t as easy to get for overseas viewers.
Methodology: How we found the best VPNs for ITV Hub
With so many VPNs offering servers in the UK where ITV Hub is available, you may be wondering how we came up with our list. Our methodology for finding the best VPNs for ITV Hub involves ensuring they offer all of the following:
- Servers in the UK: ITV Hub is only available in the UK which means each VPN must offer UK servers. Connecting to one of these servers ensures you get a UK IP address for unblocking ITV Hub from abroad. All of the VPNs in this post have servers in dozens of countries for accessing a wide range of geo-blocked content.
- Speed: Streaming ITV Hub content live and on-demand requires fast, unthrottled speeds. This is particularly the case if you wish to watch in high definition. We carry out speed tests to find the fastest VPNs for streaming. One feature they all have in common is unlimited bandwidth so you can stream ITV Hub lag and buffer-free.
- Unblocking: Not every VPN works with ITV Hub and some struggle with other streaming platforms such as BBC iPlayer and Now TV. We’ve tested each VPN across a wide range of geo-restricted websites and services to ensure they offer reliable unblocking. As such, you can travel abroad and access most content as normal.
- Security: We examine each VPN to ensure it meets certain security standards. In particular, there must be 256-bit AES encryption, a kill switch, and DNS leak protection (we test each VPN for leaks ourselves). You’ll notice that some of the VPNs we’ve recommended offer additional features such as Double VPN servers.
- Privacy: Some VPNs log user data and sell it to third parties. Others claim to offer no-logs policies despite that not actually being the case. Having looked at 140 VPN logging policies, we’re confident that we’ve found those that best protect your privacy. In some cases, you can even pay anonymously in Bitcoin.
- Ease of use: We’ve been able to compare many different VPN apps and find those that are most beginner-friendly. Setup shouldn’t take more than a minute or two while you can also connect to a server in a single click in all cases. Better still, all of the best VPNs for ITV Hub offer 24/7 support via live chat and email.
- Value for money: You can save even more if you take advantage of our VPN discount coupons provided in this post. All of the VPNs offer long and short-term plans so you can choose which best suits your needs. Furthermore, each VPN includes a money-back guarantee of at least 30 days so you can try it risk-free.
As part of our VPN testing methodology, we look for and test the above features to ensure we’re recommending the very best VPNs available.
ITV Player FAQ
Is streaming content from ITV Hub legal outside of the UK?
Streaming ITV Hub abroad is against the platform’s terms of service but it’s not illegal. That’s why, despite having VPN-detection features built-in, ITV has never taken anyone to court, nor has anyone ever been charged with a crime for using ITV Hub outside of the UK.
Why does ITV Hub keep freezing on my smart TV?
Obviously, there are as many different types of Smart TV as there are reasons this problem could be happening, which makes it extremely difficult to diagnose. Given the popularity of ITV Hub, however, it’s far more likely to be a problem on your end.
If you haven’t already, try updating the app to its latest version and clearing the TV’s cache from the settings menu. You may also want to try disabling any active Smart DNS services to see if those were causing the issue. If you’re still struggling to stream ITV Hub, we recommend reaching out to your TV’s manufacturer via its online forums or asking your VPN service provider for help directly (assuming ITV works fine with the VPN disabled).
Is ITV Catch Up Free?
Yes, you can stream as much on-demand TV as you like for free on ITV Hub. In fact, unless you want to watch live, you don’t even need a TV license to do so. The only thing you have to do is create an account: just enter your name, email address, date of birth, and postcode (any will work), and you’re good to go.
What TV Shows can I watch on ITV Hub?
ITV broadcasts all kinds of content, and thanks to the ITV Hub, users can watch it all live online, free of charge. Of course, recently-aired titles are added to the on-demand library all the time as well, so don’t worry if you miss a show you were excited about. Below, we’ve listed a few of the most popular shows you can stream on ITV Hub:
Will using a VPN stop my ISP from throttling ITV Hub?
If your ISP is restricting your internet speeds while you use services like Netflix or ITV Hub, a VPN can help. These not only allow you to spoof your location so you can access these platforms while traveling, they also encrypt your traffic.
So why is this important? Simply, in order to throttle your connection any time you use ITV Hub, your ISP first has to be able to tell when you’re streaming. Normally, this isn’t difficult, since there are specific data patterns they can look for that indicate you’re watching a video.
However, once you connect to a VPN, all of your traffic looks the same. ISPs can’t just limit all of your traffic; after all, most are legally required to provide a minimum speed the majority of the time. As such, they’re forced to stop limiting your speeds, leaving you free to stream as much as you like.
Does ITV Hub check my IP address?
Yes, ITV Hub checks your IP address every time you visit to see whether you’re accessing the platform from within the UK or not. If you are, you’ll be able to watch without any issues, but if you’re elsewhere in the world, you’ll find that videos fail to load. Of course, getting around this problem is simple: just connect to a British VPN server and you’ll be able to use this service from anywhere.
Why does ITV Block VPNs?
ITV doesn’t hold international rights for all of its shows. As such, content on the ITV Hub platform is region-locked outside the UK. This is done to avoid violating copyright and any potential licensing agreements. Fortunately, you can still watch ITV Hub while traveling abroad by connecting to a VPN server in the UK. Doing so provides you with a UK IP address for streaming ITV Hub from anywhere in the world.
Will I get blocked from ITV Hub for using a VPN?
No, there's no evidence of ITV Hub blocking users from their service just for using a VPN. When you use a VPN to get a UK IP address, you'll hopefully be able access its content as normal. At worst, the IP address in question won't work and the content will remain region-locked (or the IP address will later become blacklisted). In this case, you'd simply connect to another server to change your IP address.
Why isn't my VPN working with ITV Hub?
If you’re having difficulty accessing ITV Hub with a VPN active, try the following suggestions.
- Make sure you registered with a UK postcode and check your VPN is connected to a UK server location.
- Remove any data that the ITV website has saved by clearing the cache. You can either clear the entire cache (which will delete all saved information from every site you’ve visited) or clear it for ITV specifically by holding the CTRL key and pressing F5.
If the ITV Player works in your browser but not when using an app on another device, the secondary device may be forced into using your ISP’s DNS settings instead of the VPN’s. This can be resolved by using a virtual router or by installing your VPN onto your wireless router directly instead of using the app.
Can I access other streaming services with my ITV VPN?
One of the advantages of choosing a quality VPN provider is that they tend to offer strong unblocking with a variety of streaming platforms. As such, you'll not only be able to use your ITV VPN with ITV Hub, but with the likes of BBC iPlayer, All 4, Sky Go, and Now. The process of accessing them is the same. You just need to make sure you're connected to a UK server for a UK IP address.
Will a VPN for ITV cause my video to buffer?
A VPN can help reduce buffering on ITV by encrypting your internet connection and routing it through a server in a different location. This can help improve your connection speed and stability, which can, in turn, reduce buffering. However, it's important to note that a VPN cannot guarantee to fix all buffering issues. If your internet connection is slow or unreliable, you may still experience some buffering, even with a VPN.