Now is a streaming service offering a mix of live and on-demand content. Operated by Sky, it allows you to stream your favorite Sky TV channels such as Sky Atlantic and Sky Sports without the commitment of a lengthy contract. Unfortunately, Now is only available in the UK and, should you travel abroad, you’ll find content to be region-locked and unavailable to stream as a result.
The good news is that a Virtual Private Network (VPN) can help you unblock Now and watch it from abroad. By connecting to a server, you’ll change your IP address and spoof your location. The content is then unblocked regardless of the country you’re in. Another advantage is that a VPN encrypts your device’s internet traffic which allows you to stream with far greater security.
We’ll get into detail in this post, but if you just want a quick summary of the best VPNs for Now, here our list of the best VPNs for accessing Now from anywhere:
Best VPNs for watching Now
- NordVPN: The best VPN for Now. Over 5,000 servers worldwide (400+ in the UK). Works with Now and Sky Go. No-logs VPN with fast speeds and specialty servers.
- Surfshark: Best value VPN. Stream Now and over 30 Netflix libraries lag-free. Unlimited simultaneous connections, MultiHop servers, and user-friendly apps.
- ExpressVPN: Servers in 94 countries including the UK. Very fast and works with Now, Netflix, and more. Secure with encryption and excellent 24/7 support.
- CyberGhost: 7,000+ servers, over 400 of which are in the UK. Unlimited bandwidth and can be used on seven devices at once. Strict no-logs policy.
- PrivateVPN: Ideal for streaming thanks to fast speeds and strong unblocking. Beginner-friendly apps and the option to pay anonymously in Bitcoin.
- Private Internet Access: Network covering 80+ countries. UK servers work with Now. No-logs service which allows up to 10 simultaneous connections.
- Atlas VPN: One of the fastest VPNs tested. Works with Now, Netflix, BBC iPlayer, and more. Unlimited devices per account and secure with encryption.
WANT TO TRY THE TOP VPN RISK FREE?
NordVPN is offering a fully-featured risk-free 30-day trial if you sign up at this page. You can use the VPN rated #1 for Now TV with no restrictions for a month—ideal if you want to continue streaming your favorite show during a vacation abroad.
There are no hidden terms—just contact support within 30 days if you decide NordVPN isn't a good fit and you'll get a full refund. Start your NordVPN trial here.
While it is possible to bypass geographic restrictions with a VPN, it should be noted that not every VPN works well with Now. Indeed, you’ll need a service that has the following qualities:
- UK servers that successfully unblock Now
- Fast speeds for lag and buffer-free streaming
- Strong security with high-end encryption
- No-logs policy that protects your privacy
- Minimum of five simultaneous connections
Best VPNs for Now
Here’s our list of the best VPNs for streaming Now from abroad:
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
NordVPN has servers in 60 countries, including the UK and Ireland. In total, the company has well over 5,000 servers around the world (400+ in the UK), which gives it plenty of capacity to serve its customers. The NordVPN service gives you good, unthrottled speeds for video streaming and it is also very good at dodging detection. Indeed, it also works with the likes of Netflix, BBC iPlayer, and Sky Go.
Unlike most VPNs, NordVPN offers you the choice of various specialty servers including those that are optimized for P2P file-sharing. It also has excellent customer support which is available 24 hours a day via live chat and email. Security features include 256-bit AES encryption, a kill switch, and DNS and IPv6 leak protection while Double VPN servers encrypt data twice for an extra layer of security.
You can find NordVPN apps for the following: Windows, Mac, Linux, Android, iOS, Amazon Fire TV, and Android TV. Browser extensions can also be downloaded for Chrome and Firefox while the VPN can be manually set up to work with routers.
- Successfully unblocks Now, BBC iPlayer, Netflix, and more
- One of the fastest VPNs around
- Lots of servers in the UK — some 400+ in total
- Provides round-the-clock support
- Operates a strict no-logs policy
- Specialty P2P and Double VPN servers available
- Victim of a data breach in 2018
BEST VPN FOR NOW:NordVPN is our top choice with over 400 UK servers and consistent unblocking of Now, Sky Go, BBC iPlayer, and Netflix. Fast servers and strong privacy protection with a no-logs policy. 24/7 support. With its 30-day money-back guarantee, you can try it risk-free.
Read our full NordVPN review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
Surfshark has a growing network which currently consists of over 3,000 servers in 65 countries. Its UK servers are located across the cities of London, Manchester, and Glasgow, providing plenty of options for accessing Now. Impressively, this high-speed service also works with Netflix and unblocks over 30 different libraries — far more than most VPNs.
This VPN service allows unlimited simultaneous connections per account. Surfshark also includes 24/7 live chat and email support and offers MultiHop servers which encrypt internet traffic twice. It operates a strict no-logs policy, uses 256-bit AES encryption, and further safeguards you with DNS and IPv6 leak protection and a kill switch. More recently Surfshark has introduced Surfshark One, an optional extra which includes an antivirus.
Surfshark’s apps can be downloaded for Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, Linux, Amazon Fire TV, and Android TV. Chrome and Firefox browser extensions are also included. Surfshark provides manual setup instructions for using it with wifi routers.
- Very fast server speeds for streaming Now
- Works with many popular streaming services
- Connect as many devices as you like simultaneously
- Comprehensive security with Double VPN servers included
- Beginner-friendly apps combined with 24/7 support
- Sometimes slow to start up or to switch servers
BEST VALUE VPN:Surfshark offers great value for money with its fast speeds, expanding server network, and strong unblocking. Use it to stream Now and BBC iPlayer while traveling abroad. No-logs service with MultiHop servers and 24/7 support. 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full Surfshark review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
ExpressVPN offers servers in 94 countries — more than any other VPN on this list. Its high-speed UK servers and unlimited bandwidth means it’s more than fast enough for streaming Now while it also works with the likes of Sky Go. With it, you can stream in 1080p HD and even 4K, all without frustrating performance issues. Once signed up, ExpressVPN lets you secure five of your devices at the same time.
With 256-bit AES encryption, a kill switch feature, and DNS, IPv6, and WebRTC leak protection, ExpressVPN is a highly secure choice for browsing and streaming. Importantly, this is a VPN that won’t keep any logs by which you can be identified. It also accepts payment in Bitcoin should you wish to ensure your anonymity. This VPN’s customer support is among the very best, available 24 hours a day.
To get a UK IP address with ExpressVPN, download an app for Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, Linux, Android TV, or Amazon Fire TV. Alternatively, use a browser extension for Chrome, Firefox, or Edge. Custom firmware is available for routers.
- Stream the likes of Now, BBC iPlayer, and Netflix
- Fast speeds for streaming and torrenting
- Server network covers 94 countries in total
- Industry-leading security features built into the apps
- Live customer support around the clock
- More expensive than many of its rivals
LAG-FREE STREAMING:ExpressVPN is a quick and reliable service. Unblocks all major online streaming services including Now and Netflix. Great security and privacy features. 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full ExpressVPN review.
Money-back guarantee: 45 DAYS
CyberGhost is a strong all-rounder offering a huge network of over 7,000 servers across 90 countries. In fact, some 600 of these servers are located in the UK. This makes it that much easier to access Now while traveling abroad. Notably, CyberGhost also works well with Netflix US. CyberGhost has fast, unthrottled speeds and can be used on up to seven devices simultaneously.
Where security and privacy are concerned, CyberGhost is excellent thanks to its strict no-logs policy, strong 256-bitAES encryption, and kill-switch. You’re also protected from DNS and IPv6 leaks. One extra that CyberGhost now offers is its own password manager which is currently in beta. Should you need any assistance while using CyberGhost, you’ll have 24 hour access to live chat and email support.
Connect to a VPN server in the UK via CyberGhost’s Windows, Mac, Linux, Android, iOS, Amazon Fire TV, and Android TV apps. Browser extensions are available for Chrome and Firefox. It can also be manually configured to work with select routers.
- Approximately 600 servers in the UK
- Works with Now, BBC iPlayer, and even Netflix US
- Fast connections are ideal for streaming
- Use on up to 7 devices simultaneously
- Doesn’t work in China
EASY TO USE:CyberGhost is perfect for beginners. Works with many popular streaming platforms, including Now and Netflix US. 7,000 servers in 90 countries (roughly 600 in the UK). Lots of security features including a strict no-logs policy. 45-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full CyberGhost review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
PrivateVPN has servers in 60 countries including the UK. This Sweden-based service was originally created to serve torrenters, so it provides excellent speeds and won’t throttle your bandwidth. It can dodge detection and get you into many UK-based video streaming sites that restrict viewing location, including Now, BBC iPlayer, and ITV Hub.
The PrivateVPN desktop and mobile apps are among the most user-friendly we’ve tested. Aside from live chat and email support, this VPN offers free remote help and installation. PrivateVPN provides all of the essential security features that help keep you safe online. This includes 256-bit AES encryption, DNS leak protection, and a kill switch. Your privacy stays intact thanks to the VPN’s strict no-logs policy.
Connect up to six devices at once with PrivateVPN’s apps for Windows, Mac, Android, and iOS apps. While you can use it with Linux and some VPN-compatible wireless routers, this does require manual setup.
- No issues getting it working with Now at good speeds
- Also unblocks Amazon Prime Video and BBC iPlayer
- Provides a secure, encrypted connection and keeps no logs
- Beginner-friendly desktop and mobile apps
- Fewer servers to choose from
- Live chat not available 24/7
STREAMING-FRIENDLY:PrivateVPN is perfect for streaming thanks to its fast speeds and consistent unblocking. Works with Now and offers strong privacy protection. 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full PrivateVPN review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
Private Internet Access provides good, consistent connections so you can stream Now without lag or buffering. With thousands of servers available in more than 80 countries, it’s well placed to help you access a wide range of geo-blocked content. Better still, this VPN allows as many as 10 simultaneous connections per account so it’s a great choice if you plan on sharing with family.
With the no-logs policy of PIA, nobody but you can see your browsing history. All data is secured with 256-bit AES encryption while there’s also DNS leak protection and a kill switch. If it’s your first time using a VPN, you’ll be pleased to know that you can connect to a PIA server in seconds. Live chat and email support is also available so you never have to wait long to resolve any doubts.
PIA can be installed on desktop (Windows, Mac, and Linux) and mobile (Android and iOS) as well as manually configured to work with wifi routers.
- Unlimited bandwidth for consistent streaming of Now
- Generous network of servers in 80 countries
- Can be used on up to 10 devices
- Operates a no-logs policy
- Struggles to bypass restrictions in China
- Doesn’t work with some popular streaming services
CONSISTENT CONNECTIONS:Private Internet Access is a reliable choice for streaming Now. Unlimited bandwidth and up to 10 simultaneous connections allowed. Security includes encryption and a no-logs policy. 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full Private Internet Access review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
Atlas VPN passed our speed tests with flying colors, averaging 247 Mbps. You can therefore stream Now in the highest resolution without interruptions. Moreover, this VPN is highly capable when it comes to unblocking content. It also works particularly well with BBC iPlayer as well as Netflix. While most VPNs allow up to a handful of simultaneous connections, Atlas VPN lets you secure all of your devices at once.
Another advantage of Atlas VPN is its sheer wealth of security features. Aside from 256-bit AES encryption, a kill switch, and DNS leak protection, it doesn’t keep identifying logs of users. Notably, it blocks ads, trackers, and malware, offers MultiHop servers, and has introduced SafeSwap which regularly rotates your IP address without you having to switch servers.
To use Atlas VPN, download one of its apps for Windows, Mac, Android, or iOS. This VPN can also be manually configured to work with Linux and routers.
- High-speed servers for non-stop streaming
- Reliable unblocking of Now, BBC iPlayer, and more
- Connect as many devices as you like at the same time
- Huge number of security features including an ad blocker
- Smaller network of servers
- No live chat support available
LOTS OF SECURITY FEATURES:Atlas VPN is super fast for lag-free streaming of Now. Powerful unblocking and works with many popular streaming platforms. Packed with security features including an ad blocker and MultiHop servers. 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full Atlas VPN review.
How to watch Now abroad with a VPN
Signing up with a VPN and setting it up on your device is so easy that you could be watching Now in a matter of minutes.
Here’s how to watch Now from anywhere using a VPN:
- Sign up with a reputable VPN provider that works with Now. We particularly recommend NordVPN.
- Download and install the appropriate VPN app on your streaming device.
- Open the VPN app before connecting to a UK server to get a UK IP address.
- Go to Now and sign in (or sign up if you don’t have an account). Select your preferred content, live or on-demand.
- Now’s content should stream without issue. If it still doesn’t work, we recommend you clear your cookies. Alternatively, try connecting to a different server or contact your VPN’s customer support for further assistance.
Methodology: How we chose the best VPNs for watching Now
If you go on vacation or travel overseas (outside the UK) on business, you’ll find that you can no longer stream Now content. While you need a VPN, not every VPN can be of help. Some fail to unblock Now while others lack the necessary speed. Here’s what we looked for in our search for the best VPNs for watching Now from abroad:
- Servers in the UK: Watching Now requires a UK IP address which means a VPN must offer servers located in the UK. This should also allow you to access the likes of BBC iPlayer and ITV Hub as well as Netflix UK. All of the VPNs in this post provides servers covering dozens of countries.
- Speed: Streaming in high definition requires fast servers as well as unlimited bandwidth. We ran speed tests on each VPN across various servers, locations, and times of day. As such, we’re confident that we’ve found the fastest VPNs so you can stream Now lag and buffer-free.
- Unblocking: Some VPNs are simply better at unblocking than others. While a VPN may work with Now, it may struggle with Amazon Prime Video or Sky Go, for example. We’ve aimed to find VPNs that work with a wide range of difficult-to-access streaming platforms, both UK and international.
- Security: There are certain security features that are essential for any VPN to have. These include AES encryption, a kill switch, and DNS leak protection. However, you’ll find that some of the best VPNs for Now offer some nice extras such as an antivirus, Double VPN servers, and password manager.
- Privacy: If you don’t want just anyone knowing what you’re doing online, it’s important to use a VPN that doesn’t keep any identifying logs. We know that while some VPNs claim to be no-logs services, this isn’t always the truth. To make life easier, we’ve analyzed as many as 140 VPN logging policies.
- Ease of use: While VPNs may sound complicated, they’re very easy to use, even for beginners. One advantage of testing so many VPNs is that we can see first-hand which VPNs offer the best, most user-friendly apps. We also test the response time and quality of reply of each VPN’s live chat and email support.
- Value for money: You may notice that VPNs not listed in this post cost as much (or even more) than the VPNs we’ve included. One difference is that we offer a VPN discount coupon for each of the best VPNs. Also, unlike some VPNs, these VPNs come with risk-free money-back guarantees.
With our comprehensive VPN testing methodology, we’re able to identify VPNs that offer fast server speeds and strong security without compromising on ease of use or value for money.
Watch Now abroad: FAQs
Can I use a free VPN to watch Now?
It would be great to find a free VPN that could get you into Now. Unfortunately, that just isn't possible. Now and its sister service Sky Go use the same platform, which includes a very strict VPN ban. Not only are there no free VPNs that can get you into Now, but there are very few paid services that will evade the Now VPN scan.
It takes a lot of special features to get around most regional restrictions on websites, and free VPN services just don't have the income stream to justify the investment in these technologies. If you try out a free VPN you will see for yourself that it might be good for many things, but it won't get you into Now.
Some good VPNs offer free versions to lure in customers. However, these free VPNs always have restrictions on their service. Bandwidth limits and data caps make those free VPNs useless for streaming video.
How do I get Now on my Amazon Firestick?
Now doesn’t actually have a Firestick app, likely because the service sells its own Smart TV sticks. Luckily, you can quickly and easily sideload the Android TV version of the app, allowing you to watch Now on your Amazon Firestick. Here’s a step-by-step guide:
- First, boot up your Firestick or Fire TV and go to the app store.
- Now, download and install the Downloader app.
- Find a reputable website hosting the Now APK file.
- Enter the link to the APK file into the URL bar of the Downloader app.
- Click Go. Downloader should now begin downloading and installing Now.
- Congratulations - you should now be able to stream Now as normal by launching the app from your home screen.
Will Now ban me for using a VPN?
It’s not actually illegal to use a VPN provider in most countries. In fact, people use them for all kinds of purposes, from protecting their online privacy to accessing their company’s network remotely. For this reason, it’s extremely unlikely that you’ll be banned simply for being connected to a VPN. In fact, even if Now thinks that you’re using a VPN to watch from abroad, it’s more likely that you’ll simply be asked to disconnect before streaming.
Will a VPN give me a UK IP address even if I’m in the USA?
VPNs route your web traffic through servers elsewhere in the world, masking your real IP address (and as a result, your real location). This means that, for instance, if you connect to a VPN server in the UK, geo-blocked sites and services will think that’s where you actually are. This not only means you’re more difficult to track online but also that you can spoof your location, tricking region-locked platforms into letting you use them abroad.
How can I watch Now on Roku with a VPN?
It’s fairly difficult to use a VPN on Roku, since it doesn’t natively support any VPN apps. However, there are a few different ways you can share your VPN connection from other devices, cutting out the middle man entirely:
- Install the VPN on your home router and simply connect the Roku as you usually would
- Boot up your phone or laptop and create a new wireless hotspot. Now, just connect to the VPN and share your connection with Roku
- Connect to a VPN on a phone or tablet, then cast the device’s screen to the Roku directly.
I have a Now pass, can I use it with a VPN?
Now is a region-locked service, and is usually only available in the UK and Italy. However, with the right VPN, you’ll be able to sign in and stream content from anywhere in the world. As long as Now doesn’t detect that you’re connected to a VPN, you’ll be able to take advantage of your pass even while traveling abroad. If you are having issues, we recommend getting in touch with your VPN’s support team and asking if there are specific servers designed to unblock Now abroad.
How do I stream Now through my router?
Smart TVs and set-top boxes like Roku often don’t support VPNs. Instead, you can set up the VPN on a router. All of the traffic that passes through it will be protected by the VPN. That includes the access for your Roku through to the Now servers. In this case, you will need to set the VPN on your router to access a server location in the UK.
Not every router supports VPN connections. You can be fairly sure that it will if your router's description says that it has DD-WRT or Tomato firmware. However, before you sign up with your preferred VPN, check with the service's Help Desk whether their service can be installed on your router make and model.
If your router doesn’t have compatible firmware, you have a few options. You can replace the firmware with a VPN-friendly version of DD-WRT or Tomato, but any mistake during this process could permanently damage the router, so proceed with caution.
Alternatively, you could purchase a “pre-flashed” router with the VPN and all of its servers already configured. ExpressVPN is the best option for this in our opinion because it makes its own custom firmware that’s far easier to set up and use than the open-source alternatives. ExpressVPN customers can install the firmware on their own router for free if compatible.
Finally, you can set up a wifi hotspot on a laptop and connect your smart TV or Roku to that. Most laptops can broadcast their own wifi networks, creating what’s called a “virtual router”. By connecting your streaming device to the laptop, then your laptop to the VPN, the streaming device will also tunnel its internet traffic through the VPN. Learn how to set up a VPN-protected virtual router for Windows and Mac using our guides.
Will a VPN for NowTV cause buffering?
If videos stop to buffer, it's likely that your connection speed is the issue. While it's true that most VPNs will reduce your speeds to some degree, most providers have taken steps to minimize this, with some even offering specific servers designed for streaming.
Additionally, watching live HD video only requires a download speed of about 5 Mbps. This means that you're unlikely to notice any buffering or stuttering unless you're using a particularly slow connection.