PrivateVPN is an excellent choice for streaming thanks to its fast server speeds and strong unblocking ability. If you travel abroad (outside the UK), you can use PrivateVPN to continue watching Now. However, you may find that PrivateVPN isn’t working with Now. For example, trying to watch a stream may bring up an error message such as:
“We’re sorry, this isn’t currently available to watch on your device at the moment, due to rights restrictions.”
Now (formerly NowTV) only holds the rights to show its content within the UK. For this reason, it ensures streams are region-locked in other locations. Unfortunately, this is particularly frustrating if you have a Now subscription and travel abroad on vacation or for work. To solve this problem, many people use a Virtual Private Network (VPN).
PrivateVPN usually works well with Now. But if you’re having trouble, there are a few things you can try.
Why isn’t PrivateVPN working with Now?
It’s unlikely that PrivateVPN has completely stopped working with Now. We’ve found it to be one of the more consistent options with the streaming platform. If you’ve encountered a problem, it’s likely to be for one of the following reasons:
- You’re not connected to a server in the right location. Now is only available to stream in the UK, so you’ll need a UK IP address to watch it from overseas.
- Now may remember your previous IP address and location due to uncleared cookies. If this is the case, it won’t acknowledge the new IP address of the VPN.
- The IP address of your VPN server has already been blacklisted by Now.
The good news is that it’s usually quick and easy to fix PrivateVPN not working with Now.
Here’s how to fix PrivateVPN not working with Now:
- Start by clearing your browser’s cache and cookies. This ensures Now forgets your previous IP address and location.
- The above may get Now working again. If not, connect to a different server in the UK and repeat the first step of clearing your cookies.
- If you’ve tried several servers to no success, you can always contact PrivateVPN’s customer support via live chat or email.
- Still no solution? There are a number of other VPNs that have a good record with Now (all of which come with money-back guarantees). These include NordVPN and Surfshark.
TRY THE BEST VPN FOR NOW TV RISK-FREE
NordVPN is offering a fully-featured risk-free 30-day trial if you sign up at this page. You can use the VPN rated #1 for Now TV with no restrictions for a month—great if you want to binge your favorite show or are going on a short trip.
There are no hidden terms—just contact support within 30 days if you decide NordVPN isn't right for you and you'll get a full refund. Start your NordVPN trial here.
How to sign in to Now with PrivateVPN
Just not sure how to get started using a VPN with Now? You might be surprised how simple it is!
Here’s how you can sign in to Now using PrivateVPN:
- Sign up with PrivateVPN if you haven’t already. Remember, it includes a 30-day money-back guarantee so you can try it out risk-free.
- Download the VPN app, making sure it’s the correct version for your streaming device. PrivateVPN supports 10 simultaneous connections.
- Log in to the VPN app and connect to a server in the UK. This is how you can get a UK IP address for unblocking Now from anywhere in the world.
- Open Now and sign in to your account. Select your preferred live stream. This should play without any further restriction
- Didn’t work? Take a look at our troubleshooting section above. Chances are this will get PrivateVPN working with Now.
PrivateVPN with Now: FAQs
Why do streaming services region-lock their content?
Streaming services region-lock their content because it’s subject to copyright and licensing restrictions. While Now holds the rights to stream a particular TV show in the UK, the same can be said for streaming platforms in other countries. To avoid any legal disputes, it’s just easier for Now to prevent users from outside the UK from streaming its content. It does this by imposing geographic restrictions based on the location of your IP address.
What can I watch on Now?
Now is a streaming service operated by Sky. It allows you to stream your favorite Sky channels (as well as a selection of non-Sky channels) without a cable subscription. Here’s a list of some of the channels and TV shows you can watch when subscribed with Now:
- Sky Atlantic
- Sky Witness
- Sky Cinema
- Sky Sports Football
- Sky One
- Sky Documentaries
- Comedy Central
- Sky Comedy
How does Now know if I’m using a VPN?
Streaming services such as Now look at your IP address to determine your approximate location. In the case of Now, it wants to see that you’re located in the UK in order to make its content accessible to you. If Now sees multiple users are accessing its platform from the same IP address, it knows it’s coming from a VPN and the IP address becomes blacklisted as a result (this is when you’ll come across a streaming error of some sort).
Are there any free VPNs that work with Now?
You won’t have much luck using free VPNs with Now. Free VPNs don’t offer too many IP addresses, so these quickly become blacklisted after being tried by other users. Even if you are fortunate enough to find one that works, the slow speeds mean you’ll suffer a lot of lag and buffering. We also don’t recommend free VPNs because they rarely offer sufficient security and may actually end up leaking your data or selling it to the highest bidder.