A VPN allows you to bypass the geographic restrictions of Now (and indeed many other geo-blocked websites and services) when traveling abroad. Unfortunately, not all VPNs work with Now. With this in mind, we’ll take a look at some of the common problems and some potential fixes. We’ll even cover some of the best VPNs you can use with Now if your current VPN isn’t working.
Now is a great way to watch your favorite Sky channels such as Sky Atlantic and Sky Sports Football without having to commit to a long-term contract. The trouble is that Now is only available in the UK so if you’re traveling abroad, you’ll no longer have access to your Now membership. For this reason, some people choose to use a Virtual Private Network (VPN).
Why doesn’t my VPN work with Now?
You may be connected to a VPN but find that you still can’t stream Now from overseas. Don’t panic. There are a few things you can do to hopefully get your VPN working with Now.
Here are some potential reasons why your VPN isn’t working with Now:
- Now knows your current IP address belongs to a VPN and has blacklisted it
- Your browser has a cookie that is telling Now a different location from that of your VPN
- The VPN app is leaking your actual IP address and location
- You’re not connected to a server in the UK (the only place in which Now is available)
- If on mobile, it may be that your GPS location doesn’t match your VPN’s IP address
Here’s how to fix your VPN not working with Now:
- The first thing to do is clear your browser’s cache and cookies, and reload your browser. This helps Now forget your previous IP address and location.
- Next, make sure you connect to a server located in the UK. Doing so ensures you’re assigned a UK IP address for streaming Now even if you’re located abroad.
- Still not working? It’s worth trying more than one server. It may be that the IP address you’ve been given is blacklisted by Now. The next one you use may work fine.
- Another option is to get in touch with your VPN’s customer support. They may be able to tell you specific servers that work with Now.
- If none of the above fixes the problem, it’s likely your VPN doesn’t work with Now. In this case, you may want to take a look at the best VPNs for Now listed further below.
WANT TO TRY THE TOP VPN FOR NOW RISK-FREE?
NordVPN is offering a fully featured risk-free 30-day trial if you sign up at this page. You can use the VPN rated #1 for Now with no restrictions for a month—ideal for short trips overseas.
There are no hidden terms—just contact support within 30 days if you decide NordVPN isn't right for you and you'll get a full refund. Start your NordVPN trial here.
How to sign in to Now with a VPN
Despite the problems that some VPNs cause with Now, the process is usually quick and easy. By following the steps listed below, you should be streaming now in a matter of minutes.
Here’s how to use Now with a VPN:
- Sign up with a VPN that works with Now. We recommend NordVPN, although Surfshark and ExpressVPN are two highly reliable alternatives for streaming.
- Download and install the VPN app that’s compatible with your streaming device. Note that with the VPNs listed in this post, you can connect multiple devices at once.
- Log in to the VPN app and connect to a server in the UK. This is how you get a UK IP address for unblocking and streaming Now from anywhere.
- Go to Now (via the web or the app) and sign in. All content should now be available to stream regardless of your location.
- You shouldn’t have any issues with the VPNs recommended in this post. However, if you do, be sure to try some of the potential solutions listed further above.
Which VPNs still work with Now?
- NordVPN: Our top choice for streaming Now. Over 400 UK servers combined with fast, unthrottled speeds. Specialty P2P and Double VPN servers. No-logs service with 24/7 support.
TIP In our testing we found that the cheapest NordVPN plan (Standard) works perfectly for Now.
- Surfshark: Best value VPN. High-speed connections for streaming Now abroad. Unlimited simultaneous connections and Double VPN servers. Strict no-logs policy.
- ExpressVPN: Servers in 94 countries, the UK included. Stream Now lag and buffer free. Fast server speeds and strong security with encryption. Has 24/7 support.
- CyberGhost: Over 600 UK servers. Unlimited bandwidth for watching Now without interruptions. Use it on up to seven devices at once. Strict no-logs policy included.
- IPVanish: Fastest speeds for streaming Now. Also works with Netflix US. Connect all of your devices at once. Security includes high-end encryption and a kill switch.
- PrivateVPN: Strong unblocking ability. Works with Now, BBC iPlayer, ITV Hub, and more. Fast server speeds. Strict no-logs policy and the option to pay in Bitcoin.
- Hotspot Shield: Servers in 80 countries including the UK. Works well with Now. 24/7 live chat support and lots of security features including a password manager.
Now VPN FAQs
Why do streaming services region-lock their content?
Now is only available in the UK. That’s because the streaming platform is operated by Sky, a British broadcaster. While Sky possesses the rights to broadcast particular TV shows and films in the UK where it operates, it doesn’t hold the same rights abroad. Instead, various international companies hold these licensing agreements and, in order to avoid violating copyright, Sky region-locks its content on Now to all countries outside the UK.
What can I watch on Now?
With Now, you can stream various Sky channels without having to enter into a lengthy contract. Instead, you simply pick a package (Entertainment, Cinema, Sports or Hayu). Here are some of the channels and TV shows you’ll be able to watch:
- Sky Atlantic
- Sky One
- Sky Witness
- Sky Nature
- Sky Comedy
- Sky Cinema
- Sky Sports
- Sky Sports Football
- Sky Sports News
- Sky Sports Action
- Sex and the City
- Band of Brothers
- Framing Britney Spears
How does Now know I am using a VPN?
Like any other website or service, Now can see your IP address. This IP address provides your approximate location. As such, if Now looks at your IP address and sees it belongs to another country, its content will be automatically geo-blocked for reasons related to copyright and licensing. For this reason, some people choose to use a VPN. This allows you to connect to a server in the UK, change your IP address, and access Now as normal.
Are there any free VPNs that work with Now?
You may have some trouble finding a free VPN that works with Now. Unfortunately, many free VPNs are wholly unreliable when it comes to bypassing geographic restrictions. Even if the IP address you use isn’t blacklisted, you’ll struggle to enjoy the streaming experience. That’s because the slow server speeds typically result in low resolution streams combined with performance issues such as lag and buffering.
One of the main advantages of using a VPN is supposed to be improved online security. However, it’s worth knowing that some free VPNs may put you at risk. Whether this is due to failing to encrypt your data or because the free VPN is logging and selling your personal information, free VPNs aren’t a good choice if you want to browse and stream anonymously. Instead, your best bet is choosing a reputable VPN provider that operates a no-logs policy.