When you try to watch Stan abroad, you’ll come across the following message:
“Sorry we couldn’t log you in. Stan is not available in your region. If you are inside Australia but using a VPN, please turn your VPN off and try again.”
The reason for this message is that the content on Stan is region-locked and unavailable outside of Australia.
In order to watch Stan in the UK, US, or anywhere else outside of Australia, you’ll need a high-quality VPN with servers in Australia that can unblock the service. A VPN or “Virtual Private Network” routes your internet traffic through an encrypted tunnel to a VPN server of your choosing. By selecting a server in Australia, you’ll be assigned an Australian IP address. This will make it seem as if you’re accessing Stan from Australia, allowing you to watch Stan abroad.
Can’t wait to find out the best VPNs to unblock Stan outside of Australia? Here’s a quick summary of our top recommendations (but be sure to read on for reviews of each!):
Best VPNs to watch Stan abroad
- NordVPN: Our top pick. Nearly 200 servers in Australia for watching Stan abroad. Also works with Netflix and Amazon Prime. Includes no-logs policy and 24/7 support. Comes with a risk-free 30-day money-back guarantee.
- Surfshark: Securely access Stan as well as Netflix. Lets you connect an unlimited number of devices. Includes 24/7 live chat support and protects your data with encryption.
- ExpressVPN: Fast servers in 4 Australian cities. Great for Stan, Netflix, and 7plus. Offers 24/7 live chat support. Secure with encryption.
- CyberGhost: A beginner-friendly provider boasting steady speeds, a huge network, and a wide range of security features.
- IPVanish: This fast and reliable VPN can protect every device you own at once. Works well with Stan and similar services.
- PrivateVPN: High-speed streaming of Stan, Netflix, and Amazon Prime Video. Easy-to-use apps and allows up to 10 simultaneous connections. No-logs policy.
- Atlas VPN: Servers across dozens of countries including Australia. Works with Stan, Foxtel Now, Netflix, and more. Unlimited simultaneous connections.
WANT TO TRY THE TOP VPN RISK FREE?
NordVPN is offering a fully-featured risk-free 30-day trial if you sign up at this page. You can use the VPN rated #1 for Stn with no restrictions for a month—great if you want to stream some of your favorite movies over a short period of time.
There are no hidden terms—just contact support within 30 days if you decide NordVPN isn't right for you and you'll get a full refund. Start your NordVPN trial here.
Most VPNs can’t unblock Stan Australia content, which makes finding the best VPNs to watch Stan overseas a difficult task. Fortunately, we’ve found some excellent VPNs that meet the following requirements:
- Unblocks Stan outside Australia.
- Fast servers for consistent streaming.
- Secure your data with encryption.
- Protects your privacy with no-logs policy.
- Customer support via live chat and email.
- User-friendly apps for desktop and mobile.
The best VPNs to Watch Stan – at a glance
We’ve compared the most important features for the top VPNs here. Prefer to read the in-depth reviews? Start with NordVPN – our #1 choice for streaming Stan.
|No value||NordVPN||Surfshark||ExpressVPN||CyberGhost||IPVanish||PrivateVPN||Atlas VPN|
|Website||NordVPN.com||Surfshark.com||ExpressVPN.com||Cyberghost.com||IPVanish.com||PrivateVPN.com||atlasvpn.com||Ranking for Stan:||1||2||3||4||5||6||7||Australian Servers||190+ servers||90+ servers||4 cities||150+ servers||50+ servers||20+ servers||50+ servers||Avg Speed (Mbps)||100+ Mbps||100+ Mbps||100+ Mbps||100+ Mbps||100+ Mbps||71 Mbps||247 Mbps||Devices Supported||Windows, MacOS, iOS, Android, Linux, Smart TVs, Routers||Windows, MacOS, iOS, Android, Linux||Windows, MacOS, iOS, Android, Linux||Windows, MacOS, Linux (command line), iOS, Android||Windows, MacOS, iOS, Android||Windows, MacOS, iOS, Android||Windows, MacOS, iOS, Android, Linux, Android TV, Amazon Fire TV||Simultaneous Connections||6||Unlimited||5||7||Unlimited||10||Unlimited|
|Best deal (per month)||$4.19|
SAVE 60% on a 2yr standard plan
Get 2 Months FREE with a 2-year plan
SAVE: 49% on the annual plan
SAVE 83% on the 2 year plan + 2 months FREE
SAVE 77% on the 2 year plan
SAVE 85% on the three year plan
SAVE 82% on a 3 year plan
Here’s our list of the best VPNs to watch Stan abroad (outside Australia):
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
NordVPN has 190 servers in Australia and a total of over 5,000 worldwide. This is an excellent VPN for streaming since it works with platforms such as Stan, Netflix, and Amazon Prime Video. Aside from standard VPN servers, NordVPN offers specialty servers which allow you to browse and stream based on your needs. For example, if you’re looking for increased online security, you can use a double VPN or dedicated IP server.
This is one of the best value VPNs on the market as it lets you connect up to 6 devices simultaneously. Another excellent feature is the 24/7 live chat support. NordVPN’s apps are beginner-friendly and connecting to a server is quick and easy. There’s also a wide range of security features including 256-bit AES encryption, DNS and IPv6 leak protection, and an automatic kill switch, all of which serve to shield your data from snoopers.
NordVPN offers apps for Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, Linux, and Android TV. There are also browser extensions for Chrome and Firefox. Routers require manual configuration.
- Unblock Stan with NordVPN’s 190 servers in Australia
- Offers specialized servers for enhanced security or torrenting
- Faster than any other VPN on the market
- Provides 24/7 live chat support
- Excellent security with encryption and a strict no-logs policy
- Connecting via desktop apps can take a while
BEST VPN FOR STAN:NordVPN is our first choice for Stan. Has 190 servers in Australia. Allows up to 6 connections. Works with Stan, Netflix, and BBC iPlayer. Strong security offering with a no-logs policy and specialty servers. 24/7 customer support. Offers a 30-day money-back guarantee so you can try it risk-free.
Read our full NordVPN review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
Surfshark is a fast service for watching Stan abroad. Notably, it allows for unlimited simultaneous connections, making it ideal for families with multiple devices per person. You can find Australian servers in Adelaide, Melbourne, Perth, and Sydney, allowing you to get Stan with ease, wherever you are. Surfshark also works with Netflix and Hulu. The server speeds are fast enough for streaming 1080p content with no noticeable interruptions or dips in quality.
This VPN offers 24/7 support via live chat and email. It also has a number of useful features including an ad-blocker and a whitelister which enables you to allow specific websites and apps to bypass the VPN. Surfshark protects your data with 256-bit AES encryption as well as DNS and IPv6 leak protection. You’ll also find a kill switch, plus a no-logs policy ensures your personal information is kept private.
Surfshark offers apps for the following: Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, and Amazon Fire TV/Fire Stick. You can also find browser extensions for Chrome and Firefox. Linux and routers require manual installation.
- High-speed servers in Australia
- Great at unblocking stubborn services like Stan
- Powerful security and privacy features
- Allows you to connect an unlimited number of devices simultaneously
- 24/7 customer support via live chat
- Customer support could be improved
BEST BUDGET VPN:Surfshark is fast, affordable, and reliable,. It lets you connect an unlimited number of devices simultaneously. Securely access Stan as well as Netflix. Features 24/7 live chat support and a no-logs policy. 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full Surfshark review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
ExpressVPN has servers in Brisbane, Melbourne, Perth, and Sydney, providing you with plenty of choices when it comes to unblocking Stan abroad. Aside from having an impressive network of over 3,000 servers in 94 countries, this VPN service offers fast, reliable speeds making it perfect for streaming. You shouldn’t encounter any performance issues when watching Stan outside Australia. In fact, you’ll also be able to use services like Netflix and Disney Plus.
One of the reasons ExpressVPN is a top VPN on this list is that it offers excellent 24/7 customer support, which is available via live chat as well as email. However, you’re unlikely to need help often as this is a very intuitive VPN with several user-friendly apps on offer. Browser extensions are also available, making ExpressVPN very convenient to use. It’s worth knowing that this VPN provider accepts many different payment methods, including Bitcoin.
ExpressVPN lets you watch Stan outside Australia without the interruption of lag and buffering. It also protects your privacy using 256-bit AES encryption, DNS and IPv6 leak protection, and a kill switch. This secure VPN is based in the British Virgin Islands and doesn’t store any activity or connection logs.
You have the option of using ExpressVPN via apps for the following: Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, Linux, and routers. Chrome and Firefox browser extensions are also available.
- Fast servers in a number of Australian cities for streaming Stan
- Also works with Netflix, Amazon Prime Video and BBC iPlayer
- 3,000 servers in 94 countries
- Secures your data with encryption
- A bit more expensive than most of its rivals
EXCELLENT ALL-ROUNDER:ExpressVPN is great for Stan thanks to its fast, reliable Australian servers and strong streaming potential. Offers a wide range of user-friendly apps and 24/7 live chat support. Secure VPN with encryption and kill switch. All plans include a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full ExpressVPN review.
Money-back guarantee: 45 DAYS
CyberGhost has more than 7,000 servers in 90+ countries, around 150 of which are in Australia alone. Given this VPN’s powerful unblocking abilities and high speeds, it’s a natural choice for anyone looking to stream Stan from the UK or really, anywhere outside of Australia. You can even connect seven devices from a single account!
There’s minimal setup required as all of CyberGhost’s security features come pre-configured. These include 256-bit encryption, a kill switch, and protection against DNS and IPv6 leaks, plus a feature that blocks ads and malware automatically. CyberGhost doesn’t keep any logs that could identify you. Having problems? Support staff are on-hand 24/7 via email and live chat.
CyberGhost has apps for iOS, Android, MacOS, Windows, and Linux. Further, it can be manually installed on supported home routers.
- Very high speeds
- Around 150 Australian servers
- Works well with Stan, Netflix, and more
- All security features enabled by default
- Doesn’t offer much control over advanced features
GREAT FIRST VPN:CyberGhost is quick, effective, and easy to use. Boasts exceptionally high speeds and strong security features. What’s more, it comes with a 45-day money-back guarantee.
Read the full CyberGhost review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
IPVanish has roughly 1,900 servers in 60+ countries around the world, and dozens to choose from in Australia. This lightweight, high-speed service unblocks Stan, although you’ll have to log in before activating the VPN — it seems the actual login page has stronger geo-restriction measures than the videos themselves. IPVanish has no connection limit, allowing you to protect all of your devices at once.
From a security perspective, there’s a lot to like. For instance, this service includes 256-bit encryption, a kill switch, DNS and IPv6 leak protection, and a feature that scrambles your traffic, making it harder to tell you’re evening using a VPN. Additionally, IPVanish follows a strict no-logging policy. Customer support can be reached, day or night, via live chat and email.
IPVanish apps are available for MacOS, Windows, iOS, and Android. Further, it can be manually installed on Linux systems and a wide range of wireless routers.
- Quick, reliable connections
- No connection limit
- Strong on security
- Zero-logs policy
- Can’t unblock some larger streaming platforms
STREAM WITHOUT LIMITS:IPVanish secures every device you own simultaneously. It’s very fast and has a major security focus, plus a true zero-logs policy, allowing you to watch Stan from anywhere safely. Better still, IPVanish comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee on annual plans.
Check out our in-depth IPVanish review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
PrivateVPN is one of the best VPNs for streaming Stan outside Australia due to its high-speed servers in Melbourne and Sydney. We’ve tested PrivateVPN extensively on Stan as well as the likes of Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, and BBC iPlayer. Streaming was lag and buffering-free thanks to the unlimited bandwidth and low server load. It’s also good to know that you can simultaneously protect up to 10 devices via a single account.
The PrivateVPN apps for desktop and mobile are easy to navigate which means you can connect to a server in seconds. Live chat support and remote assistance are available should you need help. PrivateVPN’s security features include 256-bit AES encryption, DNS and IPv6 leak protection, and a kill switch. This VPN service is based in Sweden where it isn’t obliged to keep traffic logs. It has a zero data logging policy designed to protect your privacy.
You can use PrivateVPN via the apps for Windows, Mac, Android, and iOS. However, manual installation is required for both Linux and routers.
- High-speed servers for lag and buffer-free streaming of Stan
- Great for Netflix, Amazon Prime Video and BBC iPlayer
- Beginner-friendly apps for desktop and mobile
- Doesn’t keep any traffic logs
- Doesn’t offer any browser extensions
- Live chat support isn’t available 24/7
HIGH SPEED SERVERS:PrivateVPN has fast servers in Australia for streaming Stan. Beginner-friendly apps and up to 10 simultaneous connections. Live chat support. Uses encryption and a no-logs policy to protect your data. 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full PrivateVPN review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
Atlas VPN is a popular choice for those who travel abroad on a regular basis. The main reason for this is that it’s a highly capable unblocker of geo-restricted content. With it, you can access and stream Stan from anywhere. It also works with other popular streaming services including Netflix and Foxtel Now. Thanks to Atlas VPN’s fast speeds, streams can be in high resolution without suffering lag or buffering.
This VPN provider doesn’t keep identifying logs of its users. When you connect to one of its servers, your internet traffic is routed through a 256-bit AES encrypted tunnel. Atlas VPN also provides protection from DNS leaks, a kill switch feature, and MultiHop servers. Needless to say, it’s highly secure which is particularly useful if you find yourself connecting to public wifi networks.
Connect as many devices as you like simultaneously with Atlas VPN’s apps for Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, Amazon Fire TV, and Android TV. Linux and routers are not supported however.
- Use it to stream Stan, Netflix, Kayo Sports, and more
- Fast, unthrottled speeds for streaming without interruption
- Use it to connect all of your devices at the same time
- Not the largest server network (approximately 750 servers)
UNLIMITED DEVICES:Atlas VPN provides high-speed connections for streaming in high definition and even 4K. Securely access Stan and Netflix while traveling abroad. Connect all of your devices. MultiHop servers available. 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full Atlas VPN review.
How to watch Stan outside Australia with a VPN
Whichever VPN you choose, the steps to watch Stan abroad are the same. Here’s what you need to do in just a few simple steps:
- Choose one of the VPNs listed above, all of which are able to unblock Stan – we recommend NordVPN.
- Download the appropriate VPN software for your operating system. All of the above VPNs provide apps for desktop and mobile while some also offer browser extensions.
- Install the VPN app or browser extension and open it before connecting to a server in Australia.
- Clear your browser’s cache and cookies. This is very important as it ensures Stan forgets your original IP address and location.
- Go to Stan via the website or one of the apps. Select your preferred content which you should now find to be unblocked!
Still having problems with Stan? We strongly recommend you try more than one Australian server. Be sure to clear your browser’s cache and cookies each time you do so. Alternatively, contact your VPN’s customer support for further guidance.
Methodology: How we found the best VPNs for watching Stan
There are plenty of VPNs out there, but you’ll often find that they’re only interested in unblocking US streaming services. That’s obviously not much use if you’re hoping to keep watching Stan, 9Now, or other Australian channels while abroad. We made a list of the most important aspects of a streaming VPN and used this to weed out subpar services until only the best remained.
- Servers in Australia: Most geo-blocked streaming services check your IP address to determine your location. As such, you’ll need to use an Australian server to spoof this and access Stan abroad. Naturally, the more of these that your VPN has, the better.
- Streaming potential: It’s not enough to just work with Stan! Our team tests VPNs against a whole range of platforms including Netflix, 9Now, Foxtel Now, and Disney Plus to see which are the most consistent for streaming.
- Speed: You’ll need decent speeds to avoid buffering and lag, especially if others are sharing your connection. Luckily, we’ve run hundreds of speed tests and only recommended VPNs that are fast enough for HD streaming.
- Security and privacy: Every VPN above has a strong security toolkit that includes DNS and IPv6 leak protection, a kill switch, 256-bit encryption, and a no-logging policy. If there’s a stealth mode to help you fly under the radar a bit more reliably, that’s even better.
- Ease of use: Our top VPNs offer live chat-based support and apps for the most popular devices. Further, they all feature a large quick-connect button. Some even have specific servers for streaming, while others allow you to secure all of your devices at once.
Interested in finding out more about Comparitech’s testing process? We have a detailed post that explains everything from start to finish.
Streaming Stan with a VPN: Your questions answered
Which VPNs aren’t able to unblock Stan?
While the following VPNs have servers in Australia, our testing found that they can’t unblock Stan at the time of writing. This includes the following VPN services:
Can I use a free VPN to watch Stan abroad?
No, most free VPNs won’t work with Stan. However, even if they did work unblock Stan, we’d still advise against using them for a number of reasons. For starters, free VPNs tend to be very slow, particularly when streaming is involved. You’d, therefore, encounter a lot of buffering and lag, making for a frustrating experience. This is in part due to the fact that free VPNs have too many users and too few servers. Indeed, many free VPNs also engage in bandwidth throttling.
However, free VPNs don’t just struggle with performance. A VPN should protect your online privacy by encrypting your data. Unfortunately, many free VPNs don’t use encryption and lack security features such as an automatic kill switch. It’s important to use a secure VPN that has a strict no-logs policy to ensure your personal information remains private. This is rarely the case with free VPNs, some of which have been known to log your data and sell it to third parties.
What's on Stan?
Stan offers unlimited access to TV shows and movies. If we were to list all the best movies on Stan, we would be here a while. So, here is a small selection of what's on Stan now:
- RuPaul’s Drag Race
- War & Peace
- Bad Moms 2
- Avengers: Infinity War
- Star Wars: The Last Jedi
- Pretty Woman
- Black Panther
Does Stan offer a free trial?
Yes -- Stan comes with a 30-day free trial for new users. However, if you cancel, you'll lose access to the service immediately and won't be able to resume the trial period.
Is it legal to use a VPN with Stan?
VPNs are completely legal in Australia (and just about everywhere else too). That said, using one to access Stan from abroad goes against the platform's terms of service. There are a couple of things to note about this, though.
What to do if Stan blocks my VPN?
If Stan is blocking your VPN, you can try restarting your VPN and then connecting to a different server in Australia. If that doesn't work, you may want to try a different VPN service with a free trial from one of our recommended VPNs.
How much bandwidth does Stan use?
At 4k Ultra (UHD), Stan uses 7 GB per hour. This will change depending on the quality of the video you are streaming. For example, if you're watching a 1080p HD video, Stan will use 2.9 GB per hour. And if you're watching a standard definition video, Stan will only use 1.1 GB per hour.
Will Stan block my account if it detects my VPN?
Streaming services such as Stan don’t block your account for using a VPN. However, they do often make efforts to prevent VPN usage. This is typically through the blocking of VPN IP addresses. If there’s a high level of traffic coming from a single IP address, this is a sign that it’s being shared by multiple users and is coming from a VPN. Should Stan block your IP address, all you need to do is use your VPN to change your IP address and you can continue streaming.