Your web browsing habits aren’t private. In fact, there’s a long list of entities that can see exactly what you get up to online. This includes your employer, Internet Service Provider (ISP), and government, to name a few. Virtual Private Networks (VPNs) prevent this kind of snooping by encrypting your traffic, rendering it unreadable without the correct decryption key.
VPNs have another significant advantage: they enable you to spoof your location. Many streaming platforms are only available in specific countries, and if the user’s IP address doesn’t originate in one of these regions, they’re prevented from using the service. However, whenever you connect to a VPN, you’re able to choose a country-specific IP address. This means you’ll be able to use the internet and access geo-blocked services from anywhere in the world.
If you want to watch Australian TV series and movies overseas in the UK, the USA or anywhere else, you’ll need a VPN that can provide an Australian IP address.
We’ll review each of our recommendations in greater detail later, but if you just want to see which VPNs are best for watching Australian TV abroad, Here is our list of the best VPNs for watching Australian TV abroad:
- NordVPN Our top choice for watching Australian TV! NordVPN provides fast connection speeds, numerous advanced security features, and a no-logs policy. Includes a 30-day money-back guarantee.
- Surfshark Best budget option. A versatile, security-first VPN that unblocks plenty of Australian streaming services abroad.
- ExpressVPN A high-speed VPN with excellent security and privacy features, as well as strong unblocking capability.
- CyberGhost Powerful yet inexpensive, this service is fast, affordable, and able to unblock several streaming platforms abroad. It even offers pre-configured security features.
- IPVanish A lightweight, high-speed VPN with strong security, excellent multi-platform support, and a generous connection limit.
- PrivateVPN This VPN offers higher speeds than most, keeps no logs, and can reliably unblock several popular geo-restricted platforms abroad.
- Hotspot Shield A reliable, easy-to-use VPN with strong unblocking ability and high-speed servers all over the world.
How to stream live Australian TV from abroad with a VPN
VPNs might seem complicated, but they’re actually effortless to use. Follow the steps below to unblock Australian streaming platforms from anywhere. For non-paid channels this will allow you to stream Australian TV for free.
Here’s how to watch Australian TV online overseas:
- Begin by signing up for one of the VPNs mentioned below (we recommend NordVPN).
- Download and install the software, making sure to get the correct version for your connected device.
- Connect to any of your VPN’s Australian servers.
- Try accessing a geo-blocked Australian site. Online content should load immediately, although you may have to clear your browser’s cookies and cache and refresh the page first.
PAID VPN COVERAGE FOR FREE: Only looking for short-term VPN coverage? If so, you can take advantage of NordVPN’s 30-day money-back guarantee. While you will have to pay upfront, you can cancel at any point to receive a full refund, no questions asked. This effectively means you can use the service free of charge for a month.
What Australian TV can I watch free overseas?
With a suitable VPN you can stream Australian TV free from overseas so long as it is a free-to-view channel. This means if you are traveling internationally you can still access popular Australian channels free with a VPN including:
Choosing the best VPNs for watching Australian TV abroad
Choosing a VPN is often tricky due to the sheer number of competing providers. To simplify things, we decided to raise the bar and only recommend services meeting all of the criteria below. This ensures you’ll get a safe, fast, secure service, not just one capable of unblocking Australian streaming video platforms.
Criteria for selecting VPNs
- Provides reliable, high-speed connections
- Has a vast network with at least one server in Australia (ideally more)
- Offers effectively uncrackable encryption and a range of additional security features
- Does not log any personally identifiable information
- Has apps for the most popular operating systems and devices
- Works with popular streaming services
Best VPNs for Australian TV
Take a look below to find the best VPNs for watching Australian TV online:
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
NordVPN has a larger network than any other major VPN, with over 5,000 servers spread over 59 countries (210+5 servers in Australia alone). Its market-leading speeds and exceptional unblocking ability make it a strong choice for anyone looking to watch Australian TV abroad. Better still, with up to six connections allowed, you can protect most, if not all of your devices simultaneously.
This service includes a huge range of security options. To begin with, there’s 256-bit encryption, a customizable kill switch, an ad-blocker, a malware-scanner, and protection against DNS, IPv6, WebRTC, and port-forwarding leaks. You can also choose to access Tor over VPN or use two VPNs at the same time. Further, NordVPN has a no-logs policy. Customer support is available 24/7 in case you need any assistance.
NordVPN has apps for Windows, Linux, Mac, Android, and iOS. It can be manually installed on select wireless routers.
- Lots of high-speed Australian servers
- Keeps no logs whatsoever
- Exceptional unblocking ability
- Allows for customized security setup
- 24/7 support
- Connecting to a server can sometimes be slow
BEST VPN FOR AUSTRALIAN TV:NordVPN is our first choice. Lets you stream Australian content effortlessly. It’s a security-conscious VPN offering fast connections and excellent unblocking potential. It even includes a risk-free 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full NordVPN review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
Surfshark offers access to around 3,200 servers throughout 60+ countries including Australia. With decent connection speeds, unlimited bandwidth, and the ability to unblock major platforms like 9Now, it’s perfect for anyone looking to stay up-to-date with their favorite shows while on vacation. What’s more, Surfshark has no connection limit, meaning you won’t have to leave one of your devices unsecured just because you want to watch on-the-go.
This VPN uses 256-bit AES encryption, protection against DNS, IPv6, and WebRTC leaks, and a kill switch to keep your online activities private at all times. It blocks ads and malware automatically, and if you’re in a country with strict online censorship, the NoBorders feature will let you access the web as you normally would. Surfshark doesn’t log any personally identifiable information but you can pay in Bitcoin for added privacy if you’d like. Support is available 24/7 over live chat.
Surfshark provides apps for Windows, Linux, MacOS, iOS, and Android. It can be manually installed on supported network routers.
- Generally decent connection speeds
- Strong on security and privacy
- Strict zero-logs policy
- Connect as many devices as you like
- Unblocks a wide range of Australian streaming services
- Has fewer servers than some of its rivals
- Still has the occasional slow server
BEST BUDGET PROVIDER:Surfshark is a low-cost VPN on with a major focus on security and privacy. Also provides user-friendly apps and speeds that are fast enough for lag-free streaming. Best of all, all plans come with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
ExpressVPN offers access to over 3,000 servers in 94 countries including Australia. It’s fast enough to stream live HD video quality without any lag or noticeable buffering. Further, this service has strong unblocking ability, and allows you to use platforms like TenPlay, 7plus, and 9Now from anywhere in the world.
This VPN keeps your traffic private with 256-bit encryption, perfect forward secrecy, and protection against IPv6 and DNS leaks. There’s also a kill switch (in desktop versions) that immediately stops all data transfer if your internet connection drops suddenly. You can pay with Bitcoin if you’d like, but as ExpressVPN logs no personally identifiable information, your online activities can’t be traced back to you either way. Customer support can be reached 24/7 over live chat.
ExpressVPN apps are available for Linux, MacOS, Windows, Android, and iOS. There’s also custom firmware designed to make using this service with a home router as easy as possible.
- Optimized for high-speed connections
- Comprehensive security and privacy features
- Unblocks all major streaming services
- Pay anonymously with Bitcoin
- Slightly more expensive than other providers
- Limited control over advanced functionality
GREAT FOR STREAMING:ExpressVPN is fast and reliable.. It prioritizes your privacy and boasts excellent unblocking capability. Best of all, it comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full ExpressVPN review.
Money-back guarantee: 45 DAYS
CyberGhost has 51 Australian servers at the time of writing and over 5,500 more in 89+ other countries. It’s very fast, user-friendly, and able to unblock numerous geo-restricted online streaming services including 7plus and 9Now from abroad. Additionally, CyberGhost allows up to seven simultaneous connections, so you can stream safely whether you’re at home or on the go.
This VPN takes the hassle out of staying safe online as all of its security features come pre-configured. These include 256-bit encryption, automatic ad blocking and malware scanning, an always-on kill switch (present in every version), and protection against DNS and IPv6 leaks. CyberGhost doesn’t log any information that could identify you but allows you to pay with Bitcoin for added anonymity. Live chat is available 24/7.
CyberGhost offers Windows, Android, MacOS, and iOS apps. Manual installation is required for Linux systems and select internet routers.
- Testing revealed impressive speeds for streaming
- Minimal configuration required
- Solid privacy features including kill-switch
- Offers browser extensions and apps
- Doesn’t work reliably in China or UAE
GOOD FOR BEGINNERS:CyberGhost is a fast, easy-to-use VPN that can unblock popular Australian streaming services abroad. It offers comprehensive security and privacy features, and comes with a 45-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full CyberGhost review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
IPVanish has over 1,200 servers in over 60 countries worldwide, including Australia. This is a fast, lightweight service with strong multi-platform support, and reasonable unblocking capabilities. While most of its rivals allow between three and six simultaneous connections, IPVanish has no limit, meaning it’s ideal for those looking to protect all of their devices at once.
This service keeps you safe at all times using a combination of 256-bit encryption, a kill switch (in desktop apps), and protection against DNS and IPv6 leaks. You can choose to obfuscate OpenVPN traffic, which is useful if your network blocks VPN connections. IPVanish doesn’t log any personally identifiable information, meaning you’ll be almost completely anonymous online. Need help? You can contact support over live chat, 24/7.
IPVanish provides apps for Windows, Android, Amazon Fire TV and Firestick, MacOS, and iOS. It works on Linux-based platforms and select network routers but must be configured manually.
- Impressive speeds
- Unblocks a good range of geo-blocked services
- Strong on privacy and security
- Allows you to connect all of your devices at once
- Struggles to unblock larger streaming platforms
PROTECT EVERY DEVICE:IPVanish boasts high speeds, strong security, a no-logs policy, and a total lack of a connection limit. Its plans all include a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full IPVanish review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
PrivateVPN might only have 88 servers covering 57 countries (with four in Australia) but it offers higher speeds than many of its competitors. Further, this VPN can reliably unblock a huge range of streaming services including Amazon Prime Video, Netflix Australia, 7plus, and 9Now abroad. This service allows six connections at once so you can browse securely on whichever device you prefer.
256-bit encryption is enabled by default but PrivateVPN also keeps you safe using a kill switch (on Windows) and DNS, IPv6, and WebRTC leak protection. This VPN has a strict no-logs policy, so your privacy is in good hands, even if you choose not to pay with Bitcoin. Live chat is available 22 hours per day (excluding 1-3PM PST), and with your permission, the staff can even remotely install or configure the software for you.
PrivateVPN apps are available for MacOS, Windows, iOS, and Android. The VPN must be manually configured before use on Linux systems or supported routers.
- Zero-logs provider
- Very fast internet connection speeds
- Gaining a reputation for unblocking popular streaming sites
- Small number of servers
- Doesn’t have 24/7 live chat
NO-FUSS STREAMING:PrivateVPN is faster than most, log-free, security-focused, and able to unblock stubborn services like Amazon Prime Video and Netflix abroad. A 30-day money-back guarantee is included.
Read our full PrivateVPN review.
Money-back guarantee: 45 DAYS
Hotspot Shield has around 3,000 servers in over 70 countries (including Australia). This means it’s easy to get a high-speed connection, wherever you are, and allows you to stream free from any noticeable buffering or lag. Hotspot Shield unblocks major platforms like Amazon Prime Video US, Netflix US, 7Plus and 9Now, so there are very few limits on what you can watch.
This VPN includes various security features including 256-bit encryption, DNS and IPv6 leak protection, and a kill switch that stops all traffic should you disconnect from the VPN unexpectedly. There are also a couple of more advanced options, including one which automatically protects you while on unsecured wifi networks. Hotspot Shield doesn’t store any personally identifiable information after you’ve disconnected. If you need help, you can reach customer support over live chat, 24/7.
Hotspot Shield apps are available for Windows, iOS, MacOS, and Android.
- Excellent unblocking potential
- Reliable, high-speed connections
- Strong on security
- Some past privacy concerns
- No support for Linux or routers
NOVICE-FRIENDLY VPN:Hotspot Shield boasts fast connections, easy-to-use apps, powerful security features, and excellent unblocking ability, making it easy to watch Australian TV abroad. This service even comes with a 45-day money-back guarantee.
Can I stream Australian TV abroad with a free VPN?
While free VPNs can be an appealing prospect, we advise against using one. First, they often have fewer servers than paid VPNs, yet more online users. This means you’ll likely experience very slow connection speeds, which makes streaming difficult, if not impossible. It’s also worth noting that free VPNs are usually the first to be blocked by streaming platforms, so even if your service offers Australian servers (which not all do), you still might not be able to watch anything.
Free Virtual Private Network providers don’t bill the user directly, but they do have other ways to make money. These methods might include inserting ads into the pages you visit or allowing you to pay for increased speeds. However, some services use shadier tactics. For instance, they can store tracking cookies on your device and harvest valuable information, including which sites you visit and how often. Over time, this data can be compiled into a consumer profile and sold to advertisers, likely without your knowledge.
Finally, there’s no easy way to tell if your chosen VPN is safe or not. In the past, we’ve seen well-known services abuse their online users’ trust, like when Hola helped run a botnet with user bandwidth. Smaller services aren’t necessarily more trustworthy, though; a 2016 study of free VPNs found that almost 40% contained malware, over 80% were vulnerable to IPv6 leaks, and 18% never used any encryption at all.
What Australian content can I watch with a VPN?
Once you connect to an Australian VPN server, you can use the internet and access geo-blocked services as though you were actually there. This means that you’ll be able to stream content from platforms like TenPlay, 9Now, 7plus, Stan, and Foxtel Now. Here’s a list of shows you can stream from abroad with a suitable VPN:
- Australian Football League (7plus)
- Australian Open Tennis (7plus)
- Love Island Australia (9Now)
- House Hunters International (9Now)
- Black Books (Netflix Australia)
- Diary of a Night Watchman (Netflix Australia)
- The Bachelor Australia (TenPlay)
- Leaving Neverland (TenPlay)
- RuPaul’s Drag Race (Stan)
- Billions (Stan)
What else can I use a VPN for?
While VPNs let you stream Australian TV series and content abroad, they also have several other uses. For instance, you can use them to circumvent web-filtering when connected to public wifi networks or when in a country with strict online censorship. This means you’ll be able to use foreign gambling and gaming sites, even if your country usually blocks them.
Since your traffic is encrypted, you can safely use Westpac, CBA, and ANZ online banking without having to worry about intercepting your data. Additionally, many services use automated systems to restrict access to your account if it’s accessed from another country. However, by connecting to a VPN server in your home country beforehand, you reduce the chance of this happening significantly.
See also: Best VPNs for Australia
How to stream Australian TV FAQs
⭐What is the most popular sport on Australian TV?
Cricket, rugby, and Aussie rules football are some of Australia’s most popular sports. As you might expect, these are given plenty of coverage on TV, particularly during major events like The Ashes or the Rugby World Cup.
⭐Is Amazon Prime Video different in Australia?
Amazon Prime Video actually has different content in almost every country where it’s available, thanks to complicated international licensing agreements. However, in some cases, it’s possible to access another country’s Prime Video library by connecting to a VPN.
⭐Is it legal to use a VPN to watch Australian TV?
If you’re legally allowed to stream Australian TV, then whether you’re connected to a VPN or not makes no difference. Australia currently has no laws in place banning VPN usage, and unless you’re using a VPN to commit crimes online, there’s no reason you should get into any trouble.
- How to stream live Australian TV from abroad with a VPN
- What Australian TV can I watch free overseas?
- Choosing the best VPNs for watching Australian TV abroad
- Best VPNs for Australian TV
- 1. NordVPN
- 2. Surfshark
- 3. ExpressVPN
- 4. CyberGhost
- 5. IPVanish
- 5. PrivateVPN
- 7. Hotspot Shield
- Can I stream Australian TV abroad with a free VPN?
- What Australian content can I watch with a VPN?
- What else can I use a VPN for?
- How to stream Australian TV FAQs
- What is the most popular sport on Australian TV?
- Is Amazon Prime Video different in Australia?
- Is it legal to use a VPN to watch Australian TV?