Like most major streaming content services, 9Now uses geo-blocking to prevent users from outside its broadcast area from watching anything. Attempting to access the site from abroad results in an error saying, “Sorry, 9Now is only available in Australia.”. However, if you’d like to watch 9Now while traveling, you just need a VPN.
In addition to encrypting your traffic and stopping your online activities from being monitored, VPNs enable you to spoof your actual location. This allows you to use geo-restricted services as if you were actually in the required location. Meaning you can watch 9Now in countries like the US, the UK, Canada, France, Spain, or Germany.
If you don’t have time to read the whole article, you can skip ahead by checking our list of the best VPNs for watching 9Now:
- NordVPN: Our top choice for 9Now! This veteran provider boasts blazing speeds, operates nearly 200 servers in Australia, and has no issues unblocking 9Now. Includes a 30-day money-back guarantee.
- Surfshark: Top budget alternative. A fast and versatile service that boasts powerful security features as well as exceptional unblocking ability.
- ExpressVPN: Fast servers easily unblock plenty of your favorite Australian channels. Great for streaming in HD, private and secure.
- CyberGhost: A user-freindly choice, preferred by beginners for their easy-to-use apps that are effortless to install and set up. Testing revealed impressive streaming speeds. 200+ Australian servers.
- IPVanish: If you use an Android device with a remote control like Kodi, you will love its user interface. Exceptional speeds and no connection limit.
- PrivateVPN: High speeds, strong security. Works with an impressive list of popular streaming services.
- AtlasVPN: Works with a wide range of streaming services and boasts high speeds and WireGuard support. No connection limit, and it includes a 30-day money-back promise.
WANT TO TRY THE TOP VPN RISK FREE?
NordVPN is offering a fully-featured risk-free 30-day trial if you sign up at this page. You can use the VPN rated #1 for 9Now with no restrictions for a full month. In other words it’s perfect for travelers hoping to stream Australian TV during a short trip abroad.
There are no hidden terms—just contact support within 30 days if you decide NordVPN isn't right for you and you'll get a full refund. Start your NordVPN trial here.
How to unblock 9Now from abroad with a VPN
Never used a VPN before? No problem: unblocking major geo-restricted platforms like 9Now from abroad is quick and simple.
- Start by choosing a VPN suitable for streaming (we recommend NordVPN).
- Download and install the VPN app. There will be a few different versions to choose from, so make sure to get the right one for your streaming device.
- Connect to one of your VPN’s Australian servers for an Australian IP address.
- Try to load the 9Now website. It should load as intended, but if not, clear your browser’s cache and cookies since 9Now stores location data from previous attempts to access the site.
If you’re trying to watch a show live, we strongly recommend running through the steps above before it actually airs. This way, if your VPN doesn’t work as intended, you’ll have time to contact customer support and won’t have to miss anything.
The best VPNs for 9Now – At a glance
We’ve compared the most important features for the top VPNs here. Prefer to read the in-depth reviews? Start with NordVPN – our #1 choice for 9Now.
|Website||NordVPN.com||Surfshark.com||ExpressVPN.com||Cyberghost.com||IPVanish.com||PrivateVPN.com||9Now reliability||1||2||3||4||5||6||Streaming reliability||Excellent||Excellent||Excellent||Good||Good||Good||Streaming services||9Now|
|Devices Supported||Windows, MacOS, iOS, Android, Linux, Smart TVs, Routers||Windows, MacOS, iOS, Android, Linux, Amazon Fire TV||Windows, MacOS, iOS, Android, Linux, Smart TVs, Routers||Windows, MacOS, Linux (command line), iOS, Android, Smart TVs Routers||Windows, MacOS, iOS, Android||Windows, MacOS, iOS, Android, Linux, Amazon Fire TV, Routers||Avg Speed (Mbps)||100+ Mbps||100+ Mbps||100+ Mbps||100+ Mbps||100+ Mbps||39 Mbps|
|Best deal (per month)||$3.29|
SAVE up to 63% + 3 months FREE
Get 2 Months FREE with a 2-year plan
SAVE: 49% on the annual plan
SAVE 82% on the 2 year plan + 2 months FREE
SAVE 75% on the 2 year plan
SAVE 85% on the three year plan
The best VPNs for 9Now
Every VPN service is different, so choosing the right one for your needs is vital. Features that differ from one VPN to the next include speed, server numbers, online security, and customer support, among others. When deciding on the best VPNs for 9Now, we looked for service providers which met the criteria below:
- Can unblock 9Now and similar geo-blocked Australian services.
- Has a wide server network, ideally with multiple Australian servers to choose from.
- Is fast enough to stream live, high-definition video with no interruptions.
- Uses powerful encryption and offers various additional security features.
- Does not log any personally identifiable information or, better still, keeps no logs at all.
Here’s our list of the best VPNs for streaming 9Now abroad:
May 2023 Unblocks 9NowTested May 2023
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
NordVPN is our first choice for a 9Now VPN. It has one of the largest networks available, with more than 5,500 servers across 60 countries and around 200 servers in five Australian cities. It provides excellent speeds, allows up to six simultaneous connections, and even offers servers optimized for P2P file-sharing and beating censorship. It’s capable of securely accessing major streaming platforms like Netflix, Hulu, and of course, 9Now without any issues.
NordVPN allows users to create extremely advanced security setups. 256-bit encryption is enabled by default, but there’s also an application-specific kill switch, automatic ad-blocking, a malware scanner, and protection against IPv6, DNS, WebRTC, and port forwarding leaks. Privacy-conscious users can even use double VPN servers, access Tor with a VPN, and sign up anonymously with Bitcoin and a throwaway email address. NordVPN does not log any personally identifiable information.
This provider offers apps for Windows, Linux, MacOS, iOS, and Android devices. Manual installation is required for network routers.
- Almost 200 Australian servers give access to Aussie content abroad
- Very fast servers for HD streaming
- High-grade privacy and security built into apps
- Live chat can assist you with manual configurations
- No-logs provider
- Apps for major operating systems
- Desktop app can be a little clunky
BEST VPN FOR 9NOW:NordVPN is our #1 choice. It has extremely fast speeds, can easily unblock 9Now, and allows up to six simultaneous connections. A 30-day money-back guarantee makes it risk-free.
Read our full review of NordVPN.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
Surfshark is a wallet-friendly provider that offers access to more than 3,200 servers across 100 countries, which means it’s an excellent choice for anyone looking to use region-locked services abroad. In fact, as well as unblocking 9Now, this service lets you watch content from platforms like Hulu, BBC iPlayer, and Amazon Prime Video. Better still, there’s no connection limit, so you can stream on any device you like.
This VPN protects you from snoopers using WebRTC, IPv6, and DNS leak protection, as well as 256-bit AES encryption and a kill switch (which is available in all versions). If you’d like to use services from various countries without continually switching the VPN on and off, you can let certain apps bypass it using the built-in split tunneling feature. Surfshark doesn’t store any information that could identify you but allows you to pay in cryptocurrency if you’d like. Customer support operates a 24/7 live chat service in case of any issues.
Surfshark apps are available for Linux, Windows, MacOS, Android, and iOS. It also works with select network routers but must be installed manually.
- Major focus on security and privacy
- Connect as many devices as you like
- Fast enough for live HD streaming
- Offers 24/7 live chat
- Accepts various cryptocurrencies
- The more interesting tools require a Surfshark One subscription
BEST BUDGET CHOICE:Surfshark offers a wide range of security and privacy protections, but it also lets you unblock dozens of major streaming platforms (including 9Now abroad). What’s more, this service includes a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full review of Surfshark here.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
ExpressVPN has more than 3,000 servers worldwide (including multiple in four different Australian cities) and is fast enough to stream 9Now live with no noticeable buffering. It’s also one of the best VPNs for streaming and can securely access services like Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, and Disney Plus from abroad.
This service protects your traffic using best security features like 256-bit encryption, a kill switch (desktop only), and perfect forward secrecy, as well as DNS and IPv6 leak protection. Its customer support team can be reached via live chat 24/7 in case of any issues. ExpressVPN does not log any session or activity data and allows you to pay in Bitcoin, meaning you’ll be almost completely anonymous online.
This VPN has apps for Linux, Windows, MacOS, Android, and iOS. It does have to be manually installed on wireless routers, but as ExpressVPN provides custom firmware, this is a quick and painless process.
- Exceptional for accessing Australian content while abroad
- Fast, reliable speeds
- Top-class security and privacy protection features
- Apps for Windows, MacOS, Android, iOS, and Linux
- 24/7 live chat support
- Slightly more pricey than other services
- Streaming servers aren’t labeled
PRIVACY-FIRST VPN:ExpressVPN prioritizes your privacy, offers fast, secure connections, and boasts excellent streaming capability. It comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full review of ExpressVPN.
Money-back guarantee: 45 DAYS
CyberGhost’s service is designed to be as user-friendly as possible. It enables you to either choose one of its 9,000+ servers (including over 200 in Australia) directly or view separate lists based on whether you’d like to stream, file-share, or just use the internet connection without being tracked. What’s more, CyberGhost includes one-click unblocking for numerous popular streaming platforms, including Amazon Prime Video and Hulu. While 9Now isn’t mentioned specifically, we can confirm that this service currently allows you to access this channel with no problems.
CyberGhost uses 256-bit encryption and IPv6 and DNS leak protection to keep your online activities private. There’s an always-on internet kill switch that immediately stops all online data transfer should you lose connection to the VPN. This VPN doesn’t record any of your session or activity data and accepts Bitcoin payments so you can browse as safely and anonymously as possible. If you run into trouble, you can reach support 24/7 over live chat.
CyberGhost offers novice-friendly apps for Windows, Android, MacOS, Linux, and iOS. However, manual configuration is required for supported internet routers.
- Vast network of over 9,000 servers
- Dozens of fast Austrian servers
- Apps are easy to install and use – the best option for beginners
- Testing revealed impressive high connection speeds for streaming
- All security features enabled by default
- Doesn’t work in China or the UAE
- No option for local networking
VALUE AND PERFORMANCE:CyberGhost is great for beginners. Easy to use. Big server representation in Australia makes it ideal for 9Now. Can sometimes struggle with some other popular streaming channels. Stores no logs and streams high-definition video reliably. 45-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full review of CyberGhost.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
IPVanish is ideal for people who like to stream across all of their devices. To begin with, it has more than 2,000 servers spanning 75 locations worldwide, with 60+ in Australia, and is fast enough to stream HD content with no noticeable buffering. Further, IPVanish boasts excellent multi-platform support and no connection limit, meaning it’s great for large families with lots of devices.
IPVanish doesn’t log any information that could help trace your activities back to you. It uses 256-bit encryption and an internet kill switch to secure your traffic, as well as DNS and IPv6 leak protection to ensure you don’t accidentally reveal any personal information. Further, this VPN allows you to obfuscate OpenVPN traffic, change your IP address regularly, and block all local traffic. If you have any trouble, you can contact support 24/7 by live chat.
This VPN comes with Windows, MacOS, iOS, Android, and Amazon Fire apps. It works with Linux systems and wireless routers but must be installed manually.
- Has over 60 servers operating in Melbourne and Sydney
- Impressive 4K content streaming speeds achieved during testing
- Allows you to connect unlimited devices
- Strong on privacy and security
- Customer support is a little slow
- Based in the US – a 5 Eyes member
PROTECT EVERY DEVICE:IPVanish boasts high speeds, strong security features, a no-logs policy, and no connection limit. Its annual plan includes a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full review of IPVanish.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
PrivateVPN has a smaller network than some of its competitors (around 200 global servers, with just four in Australia), but is capable of higher connection speeds. This makes it ideal for people looking to stream Netflix, HBO Max, or Hulu, but also ensures you can watch 9Now live in the highest possible quality, without any stuttering or pauses.
This service protects against DNS, IPv6, and WebRTC leaks while keeping your activities private using 256-bit encryption and an internet kill switch. It allows you to pay in Bitcoin and doesn’t log any personally identifiable information, so you can sign up with a throwaway email address and browse the internet in almost total anonymity. 24/7 live chat is available if you need any help, and the staff is even able to connect to your computer remotely to install or configure the software for you.
- Australian servers are fast and unblock most-geo restricted content
- Unlimited bandwidth, high speeds, and P2P allowance also mean it’s suitable for torrenting
- Use up to 10 devices simultaneously
- Small number of servers to choose from
- Support staff are good, but only operate during European business hours
GREAT SPEED:PrivateVPN is a good family choice. Unblocks 9Now. Good for browsing and torrenting. Could do with having more servers and lacks 24/7 chat support. 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full review of PrivateVPN.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
AtlasVPN is a favorite for users that want to stream 9Now from anywhere using a VPN. While it has a smaller network infrastructure versus other providers on this list at 750+ servers in 40+ locations, it includes servers in Australia capable of streaming 9Now. AtlasVPN is also extremely capable of securely accessing Netflix, Prime Video, Disney Plus, and more from anywhere, and its use of the WireGuard protocol lets you enjoy streams in high definition.
AtlasVPN doesn’t track your activity or store logs, and this claim is backed by its operating location in Panama, which is outside the jurisdiction of any surveillance initiatives. Your connection privacy is kept watertight with AES encryption, and your browsing is secured with built-in malware blocking. Split tunneling is also included, allowing you to split your VPN traffic from regular internet tasks.
You can use AtlasVPN on unlimited devices simultaneously, letting you share the sub with your friends and family, and apps are supported on Windows, iOS, Android, macOS, and more. You’ll have 30 days to change your mind from the time of purchase for a full refund.
- Doesn’t impose a connection limit
- Very capable at unblocking major streaming services
- Full P2P support
- Small network of server versus other VPNs
- Canceling is tricky
INFINITE CONNECTIONS:AtlasVPN has servers in 40+ countries, including servers in Australia. It doesn’t apply a connection limit and includes a 30-day money-back promise.
Read our full review of AtlasVPN.
Methodology: Finding the best VPNs for streaming 9Now abroad
When it comes to streaming, not just any VPN will do. That’s because every service has different security configurations, server setups, and cloaking abilities. To find the best VPNs for 9Now, we decided only to include services that excelled in all of the categories below:
- Server choice: Since 9Now checks for an Australian IP address, you’ll need Australian servers to watch from abroad. We looked for providers with lots of these, preferably in multiple cities, since this helps reduce the distance to you slightly.
- Streaming ability: Obviously, our first priority is making sure the VPN works with 9Now. However, we’d rather you were also able to access platforms like Stan, Binge, Foxtel Now, and Kayo Sports. After all, having more options is never a bad thing.
- Speed: Slow speeds lead to stuttering, long periods of buffering, and sometimes, streams that fail to play at all. We’ve performed extensive testing to make sure that all of the providers above offer impressive speed and reliability.
- Security: Hiding your true location is only one small part of a VPN’s functionality. For maximum protection, we required candidates to provide 256-bit encryption, a no-logs policy, a kill switch, and protection against DNS and IPv6 leaks (at a minimum).
- Usability: The easier a service is to use, the better. We strongly prefer providers with 24/7 live chat, well-organized apps, and multi-platform support. Additional things we look for include streaming-optimized servers and generous connection limits.
- Price: It goes without saying that we’ll only recommend VPNs that are priced fairly. Further, we’ll let you know about any discounts or guarantees that are available too so that you pay as little as possible.
This is far from the only testing we do. If you’d like to learn more, check out our in-depth VPN testing methodology post.
Watching 9Now with a free VPN
At first glance, free VPNs (or free proxy servers) can be an attractive prospect, but we advise against their use for several reasons. Firstly, with more users than their networks can support, these services can only offer extremely slow speeds. This makes them a poor choice for streaming since slow speeds lead to long buffering times and stuttering video. If you’re watching a live video, this usually means you’ll miss sections of your show entirely. Additionally, 9Now has very strict geo-blocking measures, and it’s highly unlikely you’ll be able to get full access with a free VPN for streaming.
Free VPNs aren’t run out of the goodness of their owners’ hearts. They are businesses and, as such, have to make money somehow. You’ll almost always find that they insert ads, but this isn’t the only way they generate revenue. Some store tracking cookies on the user’s device; these allow them to harvest valuable information about consumer browsing habits which can be sold to the highest bidder later, usually without the user’s knowledge.
Streaming 9Now: FAQs
How do I activate 9Now on my TV?
It’s quite easy to stream 9Now on your TV, but you will have to activate it first. To do this, just follow these steps:
- Log into the 9Now website or app (or create a new account if you don’t have one yet).
- Open the 9Now app on your TV and click on a show. Click the Login button.
- Now, you should see a six-character code on your TV. Type this into the 9Now app or website on your phone or PC to finish linking your devices.
Can I sign up for 9Now from abroad?
9Now requires you to create an account before you can actually watch anything, whether it’s live or on-demand. However, there are no fees to pay and this process only takes a minute; you’ll just have to verify your email address.
Somewhat unusually, the entire 9Now site is geo-locked, not just its videos. This means that if you’re outside of Australia, you won’t even be able to register unless you have a VPN.
Can you download TV episodes from 9Now?
Some streaming services, like BBC iPlayer, allow users to download episodes for offline viewing. Unfortunately, 9Now isn’t one of these. At the moment, the only way to download 9Now episodes is to use a third-party downloader script, and we can’t confirm whether these are actually safe to use. If offline viewing is something that interests you, we’d recommend sending 9Now support an email to let them know.
How do I download 9Now on my smart TV?
9Now supports Samsung, Sony, Apple TV, and LG smart TVs. Further, as its app is included in the Google Play Store, it should be available on any Android-based TV. Note that as this app is only available in Australia, you may have to change your Google Play region to actually download it, though.
If your smart TV is from a different brand and doesn’t have access to the Google Play Store, there are plenty of other options. You could install 9Now on your PlayStation or Chromecast, for instance. We do not recommend attempting to sideload unsupported apps onto your TV; it will almost certainly go wrong, and there’s a very good chance you’ll render the TV permanently unusable.
What can I watch on 9Now?
9Now offers a fairly extensive library of live and on-demand content. Below, we’ve listed some of this service’s most popular titles and TV series:
- Love During Lockup
- 90 Day Fiancé
- Gossip Girl
- The Real Housewives of New York City
- Dance Moms
- House Hunters Australia
- Love Island UK
- Chicago Med
- The Last Alaskans
Why can't I watch Channel 9 outside of Australia?
It's actually quite expensive to obtain broadcast rights for a TV show. To keep costs low, networks usually only buy the rights to show it in certain countries. However, as part of this, the network has an obligation to try and stop people from watching from other locations.
That's why Netflix has different movies in different countries, and why platforms like 9Now are only available in Australia.
Is it legal to use a VPN to access 9Now outside of Australia?
"If you are located outside of Australia, you must not access, view or listen to the 9Now Service without our express written permission."
While it also states that it may terminate your Nine account if you breach its terms, this is highly unlikely to happen. Instead, it "may use technology to verify your geographic location and prevent use outside Australia."
If you do find a particular VPN server doesn't work with 9Now, it likely means that the IP address has been blacklisted. All you need to do is connect to a different server to change your IP address.
9now cannot be accessed using ExpressVPN
Hi Kaz, I’ve just tested it and was able to connect using the Melbourne server. If you’re still having problems, I’d recommend clearing your browser’s cookies or contacting ExpressVPN directly for further assistance. Thanks, Ian
NordVPN cannot unblock 9Now ondemand