Like most major streaming services, 9Now uses geo-blocking to prevent users from outside its broadcast area from watching anything. Attempting to access the site from abroad results in an error saying “Sorry, 9Now is only available in Australia.”
However, if you’d like to watch 9Now overseas from countries like the US, the UK, Canada, France, Spain, or Germany, there is a workaround. In addition to encrypting your traffic and stopping your online activities from being monitored, VPNs enable you to spoof your location. This allows you to use geo-restricted services as if you were actually in the required location.
If you dont have time to read the whole article, you can skip ahead by checking our list of the best VPNs for watching 9Now:
- ExpressVPN Our top choice for 9Now! Superfast servers easily unblock planty of Australian content. Great for streaming in HD, private and secure. Includes 30-day money back guarantee.
- CyberGhost Budget choice, preferred by beginners for their easy to use apps that are effortless to install and set up. Testing revealed impressive streaming speeds.
- NordVPN Low-cost veteran provider with dozens of servers in Australia has no issues unblocking 9Now at good speeds.
- IPVanish If you use an android device with a remote control like Kodi, you will love their user interface. HD streaming on most servers.
- PrivateVPN Newish, up-and-coming network with an impressive list of streaming services it can unblock.
Every VPN is different, though, so choosing the right one is vital. Features that differ from one VPN to the next include speed, server numbers, security, and customer support, among others. When deciding on the best VPNs for 9Now, we looked for services which met the criteria below:
- Can unblock 9Now and similar geo-blocked Australian services.
- Has a wide server network, ideally with multiple Australian servers to choose from.
- Is fast enough to stream live, HD video with no interruptions.
- Uses powerful encryption and offers various additional security features.
- Does not log any personally identifiable information or better still, keeps no logs at all.
How to unblock 9Now from abroad with a VPN
Never used a VPN before? No problem: unblocking geo-blocked platforms like 9Now from abroad is quick and simple.
- Start by choosing a VPN suitable for streaming (we recommend ExpressVPN).
- Download and install the VPN app. There will be a few different versions to choose from, so make sure to get the right one for your device.
- Connect to one of your VPN’s Australian servers.
- Try to load the 9Now website. It should load as intended, but if not, clear your browser’s cache and cookies since 9Now stores location data from previous attempts to access the site.
If you’re trying to watch a show live, we strongly recommend running through the steps above before it actually airs. This way, if your VPN doesn’t work as intended, you might still have time to contact customer support and won’t have to miss anything.
GET A PAID VPN FREE: If you’re looking for short-term VPN coverage, for example, if you’re going abroad on vacation, there’s no need to pay. Instead, you can take advantage of ExpressVPN’s free 30 day money-back guarantee period. While you will have to pay upfront, you can cancel at any point to receive a full refund, no questions asked.
The best VPNs for 9Now
Take a look below to find our list of the best VPNs for streaming 9Now abroad:
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
ExpressVPN has more than 3,000 servers worldwide (including multiple in four different Australian cities) and is fast enough to stream 9Now live with no noticeable buffering. It’s also one of the best VPNs for accessing geo-blocked content, and can unblock services like Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, and BBC iPlayer from abroad.
This service protects your traffic using 256-bit encryption, a kill switch (desktop only), and perfect forward secrecy, as well as DNS and IPv6 leak protection. Its customer support team can be reached via live chat 24/7 in case of any issues. ExpressVPN does not log any session or activity data, and allows you to pay in Bitcoin, meaning you’ll be almost completely anonymous online.
This VPN has apps for Linux, Windows, MacOS, Android, and iOS. It does have to be manually installed on wireless routers, but as ExpressVPN provides custom firmware, this is a quick and painless process.
- Exceptional for Australian use and accessing Australian content while abroad
- Fast, reliable speeds – streaming HD content or downloading/uploading large files
- Top-class security and privacy protection features
- Apps for Windows, MacOS, Android, iOS, and Linux
- Fantastic 24/7 customer support
- Slightly more pricey than other services
BEST VPN FOR UNBLOCKING 9Now:ExpressVPN is our top choice. It prioritizes your privacy, offers fast, secure connections, and boasts excellent unblocking capability. Best of all, it comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee so you can try it completely risk-free.
Read our full review of ExpressVPN.
Money-back guarantee: 45 DAYS
CyberGhost’s service is designed to be as user-friendly as possible. It enables you to either choose one of its 5,700+ servers (including 104 in Australia) directly, or be assigned one based on whether you’d like to stream, file-share, or just use the internet without being tracked. What’s more, CyberGhost includes one-click unblocking for numerous popular streaming platforms including Amazon Prime Video and Sky Go. While 9Now isn’t mentioned specifically, we can confirm that this service currently allows you to access this channel with no problems.
CyberGhost uses 256-bit encryption and IPv6 and DNS leak protection to keep your online activities private. There’s an always-on kill switch that immediately stops all data transferal should you lose connection to the VPN. This VPN doesn’t record any of your session or activity data, and accepts Bitcoin payments so you can browse as safely and anonymously as possible. If you run into trouble, you can reach support 24/7 over live chat.
CyberGhost offers novice-friendly apps for Windows, Android, MacOS, Linux and iOS. However, manual configuration is required for supported internet routers.
- Dozens of fast Austrian servers
- Apps are easy to install and use – a good option for beginners
- Testing revealed impressive speeds for streaming
- All security features enabled by default
- Doesn’t work in China or the UAE
BEST BUDGET CHOICE:CyberGhost is great for beginners. Easy to use. Big server representation in Australia makes them ideal for 9Now. Can sometimes struggle with some other popular streaming sites. Stores no logs and streams HD video reliably. 45-day money back guarantee.
Read our full review of CyberGhost.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
NordVPN has one of the largest networks available, with more than 5,700 servers across 60 countries, and 242 servers in Australia alone. It provides high speeds, allows up to six simultaneous connections, and even offers servers optimized for P2P file-sharing and DDoS protection. It’s capable of unblocking major streaming platforms like Netflix, Hulu, and of course, 9Now without any issues.
NordVPN allows users to create extremely advanced security setups. 256-bit encryption is enabled by default, but there’s also an application-specific kill switch, automatic ad-blocking, a malware scanner, and protection against IPv6, DNS, WebRTC, and port forwarding leaks. Privacy-conscious users can even use double VPNs, access Tor with a VPN, and sign up anonymously with Bitcoin and a throwaway email address. NordVPN does not log any personally identifiable information.
This provider offers apps for Windows, Linux, MacOS, iOS, and Android devices. Manual installation is required for network routers.
- Australian servers give access to Aussie content abroad
- Fast enough servers fro HD streaming
- High-grade privacy and security built into apps
- Live chat can assist you with manual configurations
- Desktop app looks great and includes a ton of useful features, but it’s extremely clunky and tends to lock up – needs an upgrade
VALUE AND PERFORMANCE:NordVPN is a good value choice. A great value option which can unblock 9Now. Connects up to 6 devices simultaneously. Good on privacy and security. 30-day money back guarantee.
Read our full review of NordVPN.
Money-back guarantee: 7 DAYS
IPVanish is ideal for people who like to stream across all of their devices. To begin with, it has more than 1,300 servers spanning 75 loactions worldwide, with 67 in Australia and is fast enough to stream HD content with no noticeable buffering. Further, IPVanish boasts excellent multi-platform support and enables you to connect up to ten devices at once, meaning you can protect all of your devices from a single account.
IPVanish doesn’t log any information that could help trace your activities back to you. It uses 256-bit encryption and a kill switch to secure your traffic, as well as DNS and IPv6 leak protection to ensure you don’t accidentally reveal any personal information. Further, this VPN allows you to obfuscate OpenVPN traffic, change your IP address regularly, and block all local traffic. If you have any trouble, you can contact support 24/7 by live chat.
This VPN comes with Windows, MacOS, iOS, Android, and Amazon Fire apps. It works with Linux systems and wireless routers, but must be installed manually.
- Has over 60 servers operating in Melbourne and Sydney
- Impressive 4K streaming speeds achieved during testing
- Allows you to connect 10 devices at once
- Strong on privacy and security
- Customer support is a little slow
PROTECT EVERY DEVICE:IPVanish boasts high speeds, strong security, a no-logs policy, and a higher device connection limit than most. Its plans all include a 7-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full review of IPVanish.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
PrivateVPN has a smaller network than some of its competitors (around 80 global servers, with just one in Australia), but is capable of higher speeds. This makes it ideal for people looking to stream geo-blocked content on Netflix, PlayStation Vue, or Hulu, but also ensures you can watch 9Now live in the highest possible quality, without any stuttering or pauses.
This service protects against DNS, IPv6, and WebRTC leaks, while keeping your activities private using 256-bit encryption and a kill switch. It allows you to pay in Bitcoin and doesn’t log any personally identifiable information, so you can sign up with a throwaway email address and browse the internet in almost total anonymity. 24/7 live chat is available if you need any help, and the staff is even able to connect to your computer remotely to install or configure the software for you.
- Australian servers are fast and unblock most-geo restricted content
- Unlimited bandwidth, high speeds, and P2P allowance also mean it’s suitable for torrenting
- Use up to six devices simultaneously
- Small number of servers to choose from
- Support staff are good, but only operate during European business hours
GREAT SPEED:PrivateVPN is a good family choice. Unblocks 9Now. Good for browsing and torrenting. Could do with having more servers and lacks 24/7 chat support. 30-day money back guarantee.
Read our full review of PrivateVPN.
Can I watch 9Now with a free VPN?
At first glance, free VPNs can be an attractive prospect, but we advise against their use, for several reasons. Firstly, with more users than their networks can support, these services can only offer extremely slow speeds. This makes them a poor choice for streaming, since slow speeds lead to long buffering times and stuttering video. If you’re watching live video, this usually means you’ll miss sections of your show entirely. Additionally, 9Now has very strict geo-blocking measures, and it’s highly unlikely you’ll be able to access it with a free VPN.
Free VPNs aren’t run out of the goodness of their owners’ hearts. They are businesses, and as such, have to make money somehow. You’ll almost always find that they insert ads, but this isn’t the only way they generate revenue. Some store tracking cookies on the user’s device; these allow them to harvest valuable information about consumer browsing habits which can be sold to the highest bidder later, usually without the user’s knowledge.
Related: How to get an Australian IP address
Can I sign up for 9Now from abroad?
9Now requires you to create an account before you can actually watch anything, whether it’s live or on-demand. However, there are no fees to pay and this process only takes a minute; you’ll just have to verify your email address.
Somewhat unusually, the entire 9Now site is geo-locked, not just its videos. This means that if you’re outside of Australia, you won’t even be able to register unless you have a VPN.
What can I watch on 9Now?
9Now offers a fairly extensive library of live and on-demand content. Below, we’ve listed some of this service’s most popular titles:
- 2 Broke Girls
- Love Island Australia
- Steven Universe
- The Big Bang Theory
- The Voice
- Yokai Watch
- Young Sheldon