There are a number of ways in which you can change your Google Play country or region. Unfortunately, not all of them work. What’s more, some methods work for some people but are unsuccessful for others. Here we’ll present a couple of solutions that worked for us when trying to change the country of Google Play.
The following method is ideal if you’ve recently moved to another country. In fact, the option is only available if it detects you have a new IP address in a different country. You can use a VPN to achieve this but keep in mind that you’ll be required to enter a payment method from the country in question.
Note that using this method means you won’t be able to use your current payment method or existing Google Play balance and won’t be able to change country again for 365 days.
How can I change country on Google Play?
2. Open the Play Store app.
3. Click on the three horizontal lines in the top left corner to access the menu.
4. Go to Account.
5. Scroll down to Country and profiles.
6. You should see the option to switch to the country you’re browsing from with a VPN.
7. You’ll need to add a credit or debit card (or PayPal account) in order to be able to change your Google Play country or region.
8. Review the warning prompt and click Continue in order to enter payment details.
If the above method doesn’t work or isn’t suitable for you, you may want to try the following solution that lets you change your Google Play country or region without being required to enter payment information. Be warned that the following guide will erase your current Google Play account.
1. Go to your phone’s Settings.
2. Scroll down and select Users & Accounts.
3. Select Google.
4. Click Remove.
5. Read the warning and click Remove again.
6. Connect to a VPN server in the country from which you want to access Google Play.
7. Open the Google Play Store where you’ll be asked to add your account. You may also be asked to set up your payment information but you can choose to skip this.
While we’ll take you through each of the best VPNs for changing country or region on Google Play, here’s a quick summary:
Best VPNs for changing country or region on Google Play
- ExpressVPN: Servers in 94 countries. Unblock most region-locked content including Netflix. Fast speeds and secure with encryption. User-friendly apps and 24/7 support.
- NordVPN: 5,100 servers. Use it to watch Netflix and BBC iPlayer. Connect up to 6 devices. No-logs VPN service with 24/7 live chat support and specialty servers.
- CyberGhost: Secure VPN with encryption and strict no-logs policy. 3,700 servers worldwide. Fast and works with Google Play and Netflix US. Use on up to 7 devices.
- IPVanish: US-based VPN with servers in dozens of countries. Lets you connect up to 10 devices simultaneously. Offers good speeds and strong security with encryption.
- PrivateVPN: High-speed servers for streaming Netflix. Easy-to-use apps for desktop and mobile. Offers live chat support and good security with a strict no-logs policy.
- Surfshark: Allows unlimited simultaneous connections. Unblocks Google Play, Netflix, and more. Excellent apps and browser extensions. No-logs and 24/7 support.
You might be wondering how we went about choosing the best VPNs for changing your country on Google Play. We selected VPNs based on the following criteria:
Criteria for choosing the best VPNs for changing Google Play country
- Servers in dozens of countries for unblocking different Google Play Store regions
- Fast and reliable connections for browsing, streaming, and torrenting
- High level of security with encryption and a no-logs policy
- Customer support via live chat as well as email
- Easy-to-use desktop and mobile apps (and ideally browser extensions)
- Includes a money-back guarantee so you can try it risk-free
The best VPNs to change country on Google Play
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
ExpressVPN is your best bet for changing your country or region on Google Play. That’s because it has a network of more than 3,000 servers in an impressive 94 countries. As such, you can use this VPN to access almost Google Play country or region. What’s more, ExpressVPN is able to unblock most region-locked platforms including Netflix. Connections are fast and very reliable which means you shouldn’t experience any performance issues.
You can use this VPN service on up to 3 devices simultaneously. It comes with 24/7 support which is available via both live chat and email. There’s a wide range of apps on offer as well as browser extensions which make connecting to a server even quicker and easier. If you have any doubts about ExpressVPN, note that it comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee so you can try it with absolutely no risk.
Aside from working well with Google Play, ExpressVPN is a very secure service. It uses 256-bit AES encryption and offers DNS and IPv6 leak protection. There’s also a kill switch feature which ensures none of your data is leaked should the VPN connection drop. This is a VPN that doesn’t keep any logs by which you could be identified. Specifically, ExpressVPN doesn’t store your IP address, browsing history, metadata, or DNS queries.
ExpressVPN is available for Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, Linux, and routers. Browser extensions are offered for Chrome and Firefox.
- Servers in 94 countries for unblocking different versions of Google Play
- Excellent speeds for using your favorite apps and games
- Unblocks most popular streaming platforms including Netflix
- Offers 24/7 support via live chat
- Security features include encryption and kill switch
- Wide range of easy-to-use apps and browser extensions available
- Not as budget-friendly as some of the other options on this list
BEST VPN FOR GOOGLE PLAY:ExpressVPN is our top choice for changing your country or region on Google Play. Also unblocks Netflix. Over 3,000 servers in 94 countries. Fast speeds and user-friendly apps. Uses encryption to secure your data and includes 24/7 live chat support. Try it risk-free with the 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full ExpressVPN review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
NordVPN is an option well worth considering as it has one of the most expansive server networks of any VPN. In total, it has some 5,100 servers in 60 countries. This includes servers in the US and UK. This VPN is excellent at unblocking region-locked content be it on Google Play or the likes of Netflix and Amazon Prime Video. It can be used to connect up to 6 devices simultaneously, allowing you to secure all of your devices.
You’ll find that NordVPN offers a range of specialty servers for file-sharing as well as for enhanced online security. There’s also live chat support which is available 24/7 should you need it. Overall, this is a very secure VPN service that offers 256-bit AES encryption as well as DNS and IPv6 leak protection. Aside from a kill switch, there’s also a strict no-logs policy to protect your privacy.
You can download NordVPN apps for Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, Linux, and Android TV. Chrome and Firefox browser extensions are also available. However, routers require manual setup.
- Lets you change your Google Play region and also unblocks Netflix
- An impressive network of more than 5,000 servers in 60 countries
- Use it to connect up to 6 devices simultaneously
- Strong security with a strict no-logs policy as well as specialty servers
- Excellent 24/7 live chat support
- Speed and reliability of servers can vary somewhat
GREAT VALUE OPTION:NordVPN has a network of over 5,000 servers. Use it to access Google Play in any country. Unblocks Netflix and Amazon Prime Video and lets you connect up to 6 devices. No-logs VPN with encryption and 24/7 live chat support. 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full NordVPN review.
Money-back guarantee: 45 DAYS
CyberGhost is a highly secure VPN that you can use to change your Google Play country or region. You can make use of its large network of nearly 3,700 servers which are located across 60 countries. In particular, this VPN has fast speeds and unlimited bandwidth which is ideal for Google Play apps and games that rely on an internet connection. Additionally, CyberGhost’s high-speed servers are perfect for streaming Netflix US.
This VPN offers 24/7 live chat support and lets you have up to 7 simultaneous connections. It offers a strong selection of user-friendly apps for desktop and mobile (including Android) and even Android TV. Your data is secured through CyberGhost’s use of 256-bit AES encryption. There’s also protection from DNS and IPv6 leaks and an automatic kill switch. Just as important is the strict no-logs policy which ensures your personal data stays private.
CyberGhost apps are available for the following platforms: Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, Amazon Fire Stick/Fire TV, and Android TV. Chrome and Firefox browser extensions are also offered. Manual installation is needed for Linux and routers.
- Fast speeds for Google Play apps and games requiring an internet connection
- Encryption to secure your data and no-logs policy to protect privacy
- User-friendly apps for a wide range of platforms
- Lets you have up to 7 simultaneous connections
- Customer support available 24/7 via live chat
- Can be a little slow to connect to some servers
HIGH SPEED STREAMING:CyberGhost has fast servers for streaming and torrenting. Unblocks Google Play. 3,700 servers in 60 countries and lets you connect up to 7 devices. 24/7 live chat support and strong security with a strict no-logs policy. 45-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full CyberGhost review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
IPVanish is headquartered in the US and has servers in dozens of countries around the world. This means you can use it to access the Google Play libraries of the US, UK, and even Japan. Whether you’re playing video games online or streaming your favorite content, IPVanish has good speeds for minimal interruption. Better still, this VPN lets you connect up to 10 devices simultaneously which is far more than most of its rivals.
You can use IPVanish to unblock a wide range of geo-locked content such as Netflix US. While the apps are simple enough to use, there’s live chat support should you have any problems. This is a no-logs service that owns rather than rents its servers. It protects against DNS and IPv6 leaks and uses 256-bit AES encryption to secure your data. An automatic kill switch feature is also included.
It’s possible to download IPVanish apps for Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, and Amazon Fire TV/Fire Stick. Manual configuration is required in the case of Linux and routers.
- Servers in dozens of countries for different versions of Google Play
- Connect up to 10 devices simultaneously
- Includes live chat support
- No-logs VPN that protects your data with a high level of encryption
- Unable to unblock some streaming services
- Only offers a 7-day money-back guarantee (some VPNs offer 30 days or more)
10 SIMULTANEOUS CONNECTIONS:IPVanish lets you connect up to 10 devices simultaneously. Use it to change your Google Play country or region. Servers in dozens of countries globally. Offers live chat support and has a no-logs policy. 7-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full IPVanish review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
PrivateVPN is a small, Swedish VPN with a network of approximately 100 servers. However, these servers are spread across 60 countries, making it easy to unblock content from a wide range of international services. As well as working with Google Play, this VPN is able to unblock most popular streaming services including Netflix, BBC iPlayer, and HBO Go. What’s more, it offers excellent speeds so you’re unlikely to experience slow downloads or long periods of buffering.
This is a particularly beginner-friendly service in that it offers live chat support and even remote help and installation. The apps are easy to navigate and connecting to a server takes mere seconds. You can also secure up to 6 devices simultaneously. Your privacy is protected through PrivateVPN’s use of 256-bit AES encryption. Further security features include DNS leak protection, a kill switch, and no-logs policy.
PrivateVPN apps are available for Windows, Mac, Android, and iOS. Linux and routers require manual installation.
- Fast servers for use with Google Play apps and games
- Unblocks everything from Netflix to Amazon Prime Video
- Live chat support and remote help and installation
- Includes a no-logs policy which helps you stay anonymous online
- A limited number of servers to choose from
- Only offers apps for desktop and mobile (and no browser extensions)
FAST SERVERS::PrivateVPN is a high speed service for streaming or torrenting. Works well with Google Play, Netflix, and more. Easy to use for beginners and includes live chat support. Connect up to 6 devices. Uses encryption and has a no-logs policy. 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full PrivateVPN review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
Surfshark lets you change your Google Play country or region as well as unblock popular geo-restricted content abroad. Specifically, Surfshark works well with the likes of Netflix, Hulu, and BBC iPlayer. However, this VPN is most notable for offering an unlimited number of simultaneous connections which is obviously great for sharing the VPN with family. With Surfshark, you’ll have access to hundreds of servers in 50 countries.
The Surfshark apps make it simple to search for and select a server. It’s also easy to adjust the various settings and activate features such as the ad-blocker. Surfshark takes your security seriously and this is evident in its use of 256-bit AES encryption and DNS leak protection. This VPN also includes a kill switch and a strict no-logs policy. You can even choose to pay in cryptocurrency. If you have any questions, 24/7 live chat support is also included.
Surfshark apps are available for desktop (Windows and Mac), mobile (Android and iOS), and Amazon Fire TV/Fire Stick. Chrome and Firefox browser extensions are also available. Linux and routers must be set up manually.
- Change Google Play country and unblock Netflix, BBC iPlayer
- Unlimited number of simultaneous connections
- Beginner-friendly apps as well as browser extensions
- Offers 24/7 customer support via live chat
- A relatively small network of around 800 servers
- Linux users have to set up the VPN manually (no app)
UNLIMITED CONNECTIONS:Surfshark is a great choice for families as it allows unlimited simultaneous connections. Unblocks Google Play and Netflix. Beginner-friendly apps and browser extensions as well as 24/7 support. Protects your privacy with no-logs policy. 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full Surfshark review.
Can I use a free VPN to change country or region on Google Play?
You can use some free VPNs to change your Google Play country or region. However, we don’t recommend you use free VPNs for a number of reasons. For starters, free VPNs aren’t very good at unblocking content. So if you’re planning on streaming the likes of Netflix or HBO Go, your best bet is with a quality paid VPN service.
Even if a free VPN is able to unblock a geo-restricted site or service, chances are that the performance will be poor. Browsing, streaming, and torrenting with free VPNs can be frustrating. That’s because free VPNs don’t typically have many servers. What’s more, these services often have far too many users which means high server load and performance issues.
As if being unable to unblock content and slow speeds weren’t enough, free VPNs don’t do any favors for your online security. Many don’t use encryption to secure your data while others lack important security features such as a kill switch. Finally, many free VPNs log the data of users, selling it to third parties. If you value your online privacy, free VPNs are simply best avoided.
Which country versions of Google Play are available?
Google Play is available in most countries, all of which have their own version of the Google Play Store. Here’s a short list of some of the versions of Google Play that you can access when you change your country or region:
- And lots more!