Unfortunately, countries with state-run telecoms like the UAE and Saudi Arabia often block VoIP to stop citizens from making free calls. This makes it hard to use apps like Whatsapp, Skype, Discord, Facebook Messenger – and even the native chat feature within online games. The good news is that you can overcome this problem while traveling and still access your home VoIP services by using a VoIP VPN.
A Virtual Private Network (VPN) is a technology that is designed to provide you with online privacy by encrypting your traffic and tunneling it through a remote server location. This allows you to conceal your IP address from the websites you visit to gain privacy. As a result, you can regain access to services like Viber, Skype, MizuDroid, and Signal while abroad in restricted countries.
Not all VPNs are secure enough or fast enough to unblock VoIP services. This means that you must pick a VoIP VPN carefully. In this guide, we have pinpointed the very best VPNs for VoIP.
Below you can see a quick list of the best VPNs for VoIP:
To find out more about each VoIP VPN, scroll down for in-depth summaries that will help you choose the ideal service for your needs.
- NordVPN: The best overall VoIP VPN. Fast servers in 59 countries. Lightning-fast NordLynx protocol. Apps for all devices. Lots of advanced security features including a kill-switch, DNS leak protection, and obfuscation. 30-day money-back guarantee.
- Surfshark: Best Budget VPN for VoIP. Lets you connect an unlimited number of devices. Ideal for families. Robust encryption and a no-logs policy. Advanced apps for all platforms.
- ExpressVPN: Highly secure and versatile. Fast for VoIP calls thanks to its proprietary Lightway protocol. Servers in 94 countries. User-friendly apps for Windows, macOS, iOS, and Android. No logs.
- CyberGhost: Superb VoIP VPN for beginners. Clearly labels servers by use purpose. Over 7000 servers in 89 countries help to prevent congestion. Secure encryption and a kill-switch. No logs policy.
- Private Internet Access: Highly customizable VPN. Lets you implement granular control over the encryption. DNS leak protection and a Kill-switch. Shadowsocks proxy. Servers in 80+ countries. Fast to make VoIP calls.
- PrivateVPN: Great speeds for making video or voice calls. No logs policy and a choice of servers in 65 countries. Advanced apps for all platforms Works with two-dozen Netflix regions.
- AtlasVPN: Superb option if you also want to stream. No-frills service with servers in 30+ countries. Works to stream on Netflix US, iPlayer Hulu, and more. WireGuard protocol is good for making VoIP calls.
WANT TO TRY THE TOP VOIP VPN RISK FREE?
NordVPN is offering a fully-featured risk-free 30-day trial if you sign up at this page. You can use the VPN rated #1 for VoIP without limits or restrictions for a month—great if you want to make VoIP calls in a country where it is restricted.
There are no hidden terms—just contact support within 30 days if you decide NordVPN isn't right for you and you'll get a full refund. Start your NordVPN trial here.
How to use VoIP privately with a VPN
In this guide, we have recommended VPNs that work to access VoIP services securely. To help you out further, we have explained how to set up a VoIP VPN below:
Here’s how to use VoIP apps using a VPN:
- Subscribe to a recommended VoIP VPN. We suggest NordVPN because it has fast servers in many countries where VoIP services are freely available.
- Download the VPN app and install it onto the device you want to make VoIP calls on.
- Connect to a VPN server in a country that is close to you physically, but where VoIP is unrestricted. For example, connect to a US server to obtain an American IP address.
- Lauch your favorite VoIP app and try to make a call. You should now find yourself unrestricted.
- If you are still having difficulties, you may need to clear the cookies and cache on your device to remove any location identifiers.
The Best VPNs for VoIP
Below, we have included a list of important criteria we looked for when recommending VPNs for VoIP:
- Can reliably access many global locations where VoIP is freely available and unrestricted
- Works to bypass VoIP blocks so that you can communicate for free without fear of surveillance
- Has fast enough servers to make voice and video calls without any lag
- Large global server network that works to bypass regional blocks and censorship.
- Apps for all platforms for you to make VoIP calls on any device you own.
- Robust security features, including AES encryption, DNS leak protection, and a kill switch.
- A zero-logs policy that promises never to retain records of what users do while connected.
- World-class customer support with 24/7 live chat.
Here’s a list of the best VPNs for VoIP:
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
NordVPN is based in Panama, a location that is excellent in terms of privacy because it lacks invasive intelligence agencies and mandatory data retention directives. The VPN has a solid no logs policy, which means it never retains any records about what its users do while connected. This means you can trust it for getting around government censorship and VoIP restrictions without fear that there could be a paper trail.
Apps are available for Windows, MacOS, iOS, and Android. This means you can unblock VoIP apps and use them from anywhere, no matter which device you happen to own. In addition, the VPN can be installed and used on up to 6 devices simultaneously, which means that you can use it on all the devices in your home, or while connected to public wifi.
In terms of security, the VPN has solid AES-256 encryption, a kill-switch, DNS leak protection, obfuscated servers, double-hop encryption, Tor over VPN, and built-in malware filtering. This makes it an extremely safe VPN for bypassing ISP blocks. It also has its proprietary NordLynx protocol, which is designed for fast speeds and makes it ideal for making video calls or streaming in HD.
Finally, this VPN has over 5000 servers in 59 countries and those servers work to access VoIP platforms, Netflix Us, BBC iPlayer, Hulu, foreign internet banking services and much more. This makes it a superb option for gaining online freedom. Plus this VPN has 24/7 live chat support and a risk-free 30-day money back guarantee.
- Risk-free 30-day money-back guarantee
- Fast servers in 59 countries, ideal to access VoIP services
- Super secure encryption and a no-logs policy
- Has 24/7 live chat support
- Advanced VPN apps with a kill-switch and obfuscation
- Some servers initially take a while to connect
BEST VPN FOR VoIP:Our top pick to unblock VoIP services securely. Superfast NordLynx protocol is great for streaming in HD and playing games that have a VoIP chat feature. No logs policy. Lots of advanced features. Allows torrenting. Works with Netflix, Hulu, and more. Has a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full NordVPN review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
Surfshark is a provider based in the British Virgin Islands that has only been around a few years. Since it was launched in 2018, it has gained an incredible reputation for being a cheap VPN that provides an extremely well-rounded and advanced privacy service. What’s more, despite being cheap, it allows you to use the VPN to connect on an unlimited number of devices – making it great for sharing with family members and friends.
Apps are available for all popular platforms. Those apps come with DNS leak protection, a kill-switch, obfuscation, malware filtering, ad-blocking, and AES encryption. This makes it excellent for gaining online privacy and makes it secure enough to use for unblocking VoIP services without fear of government tracking in countries like Pakistan, the UAE, Egypt, and Saudi Arabia.
Surfshark provides superbly implemented WireGuard connections, which make it fast enough for playing multiplayer FPS games that require you to communicate with teammates via in-game VoIP. Plus, this VPN works to access around 20 Netflix regions, Hulu, Disney+, HBO Max, and many other international streaming services. It also has 24/7 live chat support, which means you can ask questions and get help to set up the VPN at any time of day.
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- Unlimited simultaneous connections
- Super-fast WireGuard protocol
- Servers in 65+ countries
- Strong on privacy with many advanced features
- Some servers are slower than others
- Customer support could be better
BEST BUDGET VPN FOR VOIP:Surfshark represents fantastic value for money. Highly secure for using VoIP. Works to access many popular streaming services, including Netflix. Superfast servers in 65 countries. Works to play VoIP games like PUBG and WoW. Allows torrenting. Lets you use the VPN on all your devices at once
Read our full Surfshark review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
ExpressVPN is a provider that has been around since 2009. In that time it has proven itself to be one of the most reliable and secure VPNs available on the market, serving as a trail blazer that optimized all facets of its service and paved the way for many of the VPNs on this list that came later.
The VPN has apps for all platforms that come with advanced security features, such as DNS leak protection, a kill-switch, AES encryption, obfuscation, and more. This makes it ideally suited to accessing and using VoIP apps in countries where its use is banned to make free or private calls.
With ExpressVPN, you get servers located in 94 countries around the world. Those servers are lightning-fast, and coupled with this provider’s proprietary Lightway protocol, allow you to do data-intensive tasks such as streaming in HD, torrenting, or making video calls.
Express is also one of the few VPNs that works to access around two-dozen Netflix catalogs, Hulu, iPlayer, and many more popular services. This makes it a fantastic all-rounder for gaining both online privacy and freedom, whether at home or on public wifi. You can install and use the VPN on up to 5 devices simultaneously.
Finally, this VPN has live chat support that is available 24/7 and it has a no-quibbles 30-day money-back guarantee to let you test the VPN on any of your devices risk-free. This includes VPN-compatible routers, for which it has its own software.
- Over 3000 servers in 94 countries
- Strong privacy features, including a kill switch and AES encryption
- Advanced apps for all platforms and no-logs policy
- Lightway protocol is perfect for making private VoIP calls
- Quite expensive compared to our other recommendations
- Streaming servers aren’t labeled
HIGHLY RELIABLE:ExpressVPN is a super-versatile and reliable VPN. Unblock anything in 94 countries. Very secure to use VoIP without fear of tracking.Works to access around two-dozen Netflix regions. Trusted no-logging policy. Lightway protocol is specifically designed for greater speeds. 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full review of ExpressVPN here.
Money-back guarantee: 45 DAYS
CyberGhost is a VPN service that we often recommend to beginners. It might not have as many advanced features as some of our other recommendations, but it does have a kill-switch, AES encryption, and leak protection. This makes it safe for accessing and using VoIP apps. It also has apps for all platforms, and you can install it on up to 7 devices to use VoIP or other censored services on any device you happen to own.
The VPN is based in Romania, a location that is good in terms of privacy due to its lack of mandatory data retention directives. It also has a solid no logs policy, which means it never retains any records of what its users do while connected. Servers are available in 89 countries, and the VPN has over 7000 in total. This allows it to easily avoid congestion when providing its service to hundreds of thousands of users around the world.
Thanks to its WireGuard implementation, this VPN is ideal for making VoIP calls, gaming, and torrenting at high speeds. Its privacy features will let you use the internet without wifi hotspots, ISPs, or anybody else tracking you. Plus, this VPN works with Netflix, iPlayer, and other popular services. You can try it out using its generous 45-day money-back guarantee.
- 7000+ servers in 89 countries
- Easy to use and a good option for beginners
- Apps for all platforms with strong security and a no-logs policy
- Fast for streaming and making VoIP calls
- Fewer advanced features than our other recommendations
- Doesn’t work in China
EASY TO USE:CyberGhost is ideal for beginners. Works with most popular streaming platforms, including Netflix. Servers in 89 other countries. Fast WireGuard protocol is great for VoIP calls and videoconferencing. Protects your privacy at home and on public wi-fi. No logs policy. Generous 45-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full CyberGhost review.
5. Private Internet Access
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
Private Internet Access (PIA) is a US-based VPN. It is highly popular and recommended by many people on Trustpilot and Reddit. While its US base may put some privacy advocates off, the VPN has a solid no logs policy. This means it holds no records about what subscribers do while connected. Subsequently, it has nothing useful to provide the US authorities even if it is served a warrant; a point it has proven in court.
One of the best things about PIA is that it offers a lot of customization options. This allows you to exert granular control over the encryption settings. It also has apps for all platforms that came with DNS leak protection, malware protection, a Shadowsocks proxy, and a kill switch.
Servers are spread across 80+ countries and it has over 10,000 in total. This is a massive network that allows it to avoid congestion and provide superb speeds. Add to this its WireGuard protocol and you have a service ideally suited to using VoIP services in countries where it is blocked.
If you are interested, you can try the VPN risk-free for 30-days. Each subscription lets you use the VPN on up to 10 devices simultaneously and you can ask questions at any time of day thanks to its 24/7 live chat support.
- 10,000 servers in 80+ countries
- Highly secure and customizable
- Reliable apps for all platforms, with a kill switch and leak protection
- Fast speeds for using VoIP apps and games that have a VoIP feature
- Works with fewer streaming services than competitors
- Lacks obfuscation
HIGHLY CUSTOMIZABLE:PIA provides superb speeds for making VoIP calls, gaming, torrenting, and HD streaming. Works with 6 different Netflix regions, including the US. Super-fast for playing games with its WireGuard protocol. No logs policy. Shadowsocks proxy. 10 simultaneous connections. 30-day money-back guarantee
Read our full Private Internet Access review
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
PrivateVPN is a service based in Sweden, a location that is for privacy purposes because it has no mandatory data retention directives that could apply to VPNs. Its network is a little smaller than our other recommendations, consisting of just 250+ bare metal servers in 63 countries. Despite this, it does not suffer from congestion and provides great speeds for making VoIP calls privately.
The VPN has a solid no-logs VPN and it supports consumer rights to torrent. As a result, P2P connections are permitted throughout its network of servers. It is also one of the few VPNs that works to stream on 20 different Netflix regions, iPlayer, Hulu, HBO Max, and many other international platforms.
PrivateVPN has fully-featured apps for Windows, macOS, iOS, and Android. This means you can make secure VoIP calls on any device you happen to own. The VPN allows up to 10 simultaneous connections, which is more than enough for most power users and households.
In terms of features, the apps have a kill-switch, AES encryption, obfuscation, split tunneling, port forwarding, and SOCKS5 proxy. It also has live chat support that is available for around 20 hours per day. You can test it using its 30-day money back guarantee.
- Strong on privacy, with plenty of advanced features
- Servers in 63 countries to access censored or geo-restricted content or VoIP services
- Works to access around 20 Netflix regions
- Apps for Windows, Mac, iOS, and Android
- Fewer servers in each country to pick from
- Live chat isn’t 24/7
- Kill switch is only available on Windows
HIGHLY SECURE:PrivateVPN is excellent for gaining online privacy and freedom. Watertight no logs policy. Servers in 63 countries. Fast speeds to stream in HD and play multiplayer games that have a VoIP feature. Strong privacy measures to unblock VoIP without being tracked. Perfect for streaming Netflix and many other services. 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full PrivateVPN review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
AtlasVPN is a US-based VPN provider that is a great option if you want a VPN with fast speeds that is good for streaming in HD and making video calls. The service is secure thanks to its no-logs policy and robust AES encryption (IKEv2 protocol) That said it doesn’t provide OpenVPN so if you want this popular (and highly secure) VPN tunneling protocol, it is worth choosing an option above it.
AtlasVPN is one of the fastest VPNs around, but it does lack server options compared to our other recommendations. In total, it has around 700 servers in just 30+ countries. However, they are located excellently and they work to access many popular services such as Netflix US, iPlayer, Hulu, Disney Plus, Prime Video, and HBO Max.
AtlasVPN apps are available for Windows, macOS, iOS, and Android. This makes it ideal for using VoIP on any device you happen to own. What’s more, you can use the VPN on an unlimited number of devices, which makes it superb value for money.
Although it has fewer advanced features, the VPN comes with a kill-switch, WireGuard connections for even better speeds, DNS leak protection, and malware filtering. Plus, this service has split tunneling, which is useful if you like to torrent. You can test it yourself using its 30-day money-back guarantee.
- Fast WireGuard for torrenting, using VoIP apps, streaming, and gaming
- Solid AES encryption and a kill switch
- A strict no-logs policy
- Servers in 30+ countries
- Fewer advanced features than our other recommendations
- Servers in just over 30 countries
- Doesn’t work in China
FANTASTIC CONNECTION SPEEDS:AtlasVPN represents superb value for money. Allows an unlimited number of connections. Great for families or people who own many devices. Apps for all platforms. Works with popular VoIP apps and services. Can access Netflix US. Robust security. Has a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Find out more in our AtlasVPN review
VoIP VPN Testing Methodology
To ensure we only recommend the most reliable, secure, and versatile VPN on the market our professional VPN auditors use a scientific VPN testing methodology. We check each provider’s apps for IP and DNS leaks. We also check under the hood to find out whether the encryption is truly protecting your data and online habits.
Below, we have included a list of important features we looked for when recommending VPNs for VoIP:
- Plenty of fast servers – To get fast enough speeds for data-intensive tasks such as VoIP, videoconferencing, streaming, and gaming, you require a VPN that does not negatively affect your usual internet speed. Our recommendations have a wide choice of servers so that you can unblock VoIP apps while also connecting as geographically close as possible – to get the best possible speeds.
- A no logs policy – Our recommendations never track what their users do while connected and keep no records that could ever be used at a later date to identify them and their online habits or data.
- Apps for all platforms – A choice of apps lets you use the VPN however you desire, whether at home or on public wifi. Our recommendations have apps for Windows, macOS, iOS, Android, Firestick devices, and even browsers. Some of our recommendations are even compatible with routers to let you protect every device connected to the wifi in your home.
- Advanced privacy and security features – To use VoIP apps securely and without being tracked it is essential for the VPN to properly encrypt your web traffic and conceal the services you are using from your ISP, local networks, and government authorities.
- Outstanding customer support – We have recommended VPNs with live chat support and plenty of clear setup guides.
- Value for money – Our recommendations provide an exceptional privacy service at an affordable and fairly priced rate.
- Superb accessibility – We look for VPNs that provide a well-rounded service with servers located all around the world. We also test those servers to make sure they are useful and work with popular services.
VoIP VPN FAQs
In which countries is VoIP restricted?
A number of countries around the world are currently blocking access to VoIP. This prevents you from using VoIP apps and services to make calls. It also prevents you from communicating via chat in multiplayer games that leverage VoIP.
Here's a list of countries where VoIP is restricted:
- Brazil. The country’s primary Internet Service Provider has been blocking Skype and a few other VoIP services since 2014. This means that you will need a VPN to use Skype in Brazil. Find out more about using a VPN in Brazil in our guide.
- Mexico. Some ISPs block access to VoIP services in Mexico because they offer their own VoIP platform. Find out more about using a VPN in Mexico.
- The United Arab Emirates. State-owned telecoms providers block VoIP in the UAE to ensure that citizens use traditional communication methods. VPNs that allow people to bypass restrictions are also often blocked, meaning that you must pick a VPN carefully. Check out our UAE VPN guide for more information.
- Pakistan. ISPs block VoIP by government request to prevent people from communicating privately under the guise of national security and to prevent religious and political dissent. Learn to gain privacy with a VPN for Pakistan.
- China. The use of VoIP is highly regulated which can lead to unavailability and causes high levels of surveillance. VoIP services like Skype must comply with local surveillance requests, forcing companies like Microsoft to work with the Chinese government to allow Chinese users to be snooped on. If you are living in or about to travel there; find out about using a VPN in China.
- Kuwait. As in the UAE, VoIP is blocked by ISPs to ensure that citizens use local state-owned telecoms. A Kuwait VPN can help you bypass censorship.
- Qatar: Facebook Messenger, Viber, and WhatsApp are all prevented from making VoIP calls in Qatar. Other VoIP services may also be temporarily or permanently blocked, requiring the use of a VPN.
Should I connect to a VPN to make a VoIP call?
If you are in a country where VoIP is blocked (or highly restricted) by the government it is essential that you use a VPN not only to find and download a VoIP messenger service, but also to encrypt your data with the VPN each time you make a call. This will prevent your ISP from being able to detect that you are making free calls.
Using a VPN to gain privacy when you make a VoIP call is essential because ISPs in countries that block VoIP are often either closely working with or directly controlled by the authorities. This means that using VoIP could cause you to be placed on a watch list or even prosecuted. Our recommended VPNs for VoIP ensure that nobody can track you – so that you can make calls without fear of fines or other repercussions.
Using a VPN is a great way to regain access to your usual VoIP service while you are traveling on vacation to a country where VoIP is restricted. It also ensures that citizens anywhere in the world can communicate even if they cannot afford to make mobile or landline calls.
Note: Comparitech does not condone illegal activity, and you should always research and consider local laws before using a VPN for VoIP calls.
Is it possible to make free calls by using a VPN for VoIP?
Yes, the best thing about VoIP services is that they allow you to make voice calls completely free. This means that you can stay in touch with loved ones, friends, and family members no matter where they are in the world.
One of the best things about the internet is its ability to break down the borders and barriers between people. With this in mind, the ability to communicate using the VoIP protocol is an essential human right that all free citizens should be allowed.
A VPN for VoIP gives you this freedom and allows you to make free calls using a choice of VoIP apps. Best of all, a VPN can allow you to access foreign VoIP apps that are currently being blocked on your local app store. Plus, a VPN provides the privacy you need to make VoIP calls without fear of being singled out or placed under surveillance.
It is also worth knowing that it is possible to make calls from VoIP services to landlines. While these calls do incur charges even on VoIP services like Skype, you can use a VPN to make these calls at a cheaper rate by connecting to a VPN server abroad. Connecting to a VPN server in America, for example, will give you a US IP address. This will allow you to call US numbers at the best possible rate.
Should I connect to a VPN server that is closer to make a VoIP call?
If the government restricts VoIP apps and services in your country, you will need to connect to a VPN server abroad to make calls. Our recommendations have servers located worldwide so that you can get the best speeds possible.
The important thing to remember is that you can connect to a VPN server in any country where the VoIP apps you want to use are un-censored. To get the best possible speeds, we recommend that you make this any neighboring country where VoIP is unrestricted.
Connecting to a VPN server that is closer to you reduces ping, and reduces the strain on your connection, allowing you to get the best possible speeds available.
Can I unblock Skype, Zoom, and other VoIP apps with a VPN?
Yes. It doesn’t matter where you are in the world – you can use a VPN to unblock popular VoIP apps. This makes a VPN the best way to bypass VoIP bans imposed by the governments in countries like the UAE.
You can use a VPN both to use a VoIP app that is blocked or to download a VoIP app that is currently unavailable in app stores where you live. Below, we have included a list of VoIP apps that you can unblock and use with a VPN:
- Facebook Messenger
- Google Voice/Hangouts
- Grandstream Wave
- Nimbuzz Messenger
- Signal Private Messenger
- Whistle Phone
- Zoiper IAX
Can I get a free VPN for VoIP?
No. Although there are many free VPNs on the market they are not secure enough to unblock VoIP services in countries where they are restricted.
Free VPNs often lack encryption, they also lie about the level of protection they provide, have been found to leak data, and contain app vulnerabilities or spyware. This makes using free VPNs extremely risky when accessing VoIP services in countries where they are restricted.