Your online activities aren’t as private as you might think. In fact, they may even be monitored by your employer, Internet Service Provider (ISP), or government. VPNs prevent this by encrypting your traffic, which ensures that your data is unreadable by anyone who may intercept it.
VPNs also enable you to bypass geo-blocking and web-filtering. This means you can use them to access services in countries where they wouldn’t normally be available. Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) services like Discord are blocked in the UAE and China, for instance, but by connecting to a VPN server in another country, you can bypass this restriction and communicate freely.
We have reviewed our recommended VPNs in greater detail further down the page, but in the meantime, here’s a brief overview of each:
- NordVPN Our 1st choice! Boasts superfast connections, advanced security settings, and a no-logs policy. Better still, it enables you to access Discord in countries like China and the UAE. Includes a 30-day money-back guarantee.
- Surfshark Best budget choice. A reliable VPN that keeps no logs whatsoever and gives you an unlimited number of connections.
- ExpressVPN A fast, privacy-conscious service with powerful security features, ExpressVPN is a strong choice for Discord.
- CyberGhost Fast, inexpensive, and committed to your privacy, CyberGhost is ideal for those searching for a reliable VPN which “just works.”
- IPVanish This VPN offers high speeds, lightweight apps, a generous connection limit, and strong security features.
- PrivateVPN A fast, reliable service with a no-logs policy, military-grade encryption, and exceptional versatility.
WANT TO TRY THE TOP VPN RISK FREE?
NordVPN is offering a fully-featured risk-free 30-day trial if you sign up at this page. You can use the VPN rated #1 for Discord with no restrictions for a month—great if you just need to unblock the service for a short time, for example, while traveling.
There are no hidden terms—just contact support within 30 days if you decide NordVPN isn't right for you and you'll get a full refund. Start your NordVPN trial here.
There are so many competing VPNs that it’s often difficult to decide which one is best for a particular task. To simplify matters, when researching the best VPNs for Discord, we decided to only recommend services which meet all of the criteria below:
- Works reliably with Discord and similar messaging apps
- Provides consistently high speeds
- Uses strong encryption and offers several other advanced security features
- Logs no personally identifiable information
- Offers apps for all of the most popular operating systems and devices
Best VPNs for Discord
Read on to find our list of the best VPNs for Discord:
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
NordVPN is our top recommendation for a Discord VPN. It has a huge network with over 5,000 servers in 60 countries worldwide and pegs some of the fastest speeds we’ve seen. It’s able to securely access stubborn platforms like Netflix and the BBC iPlayer abroad, so Discord doesn’t really pose much of a challenge. NordVPN even offers special obfuscated servers for use in countries where VPN access is restricted, so you’ll be able to stay in touch no matter where you go.
This service makes it easy to tailor your security setup to meet your needs. 256-bit encryption, a customizable kill switch, and protection against DNS, IPv6, WebRTC, and port forwarding leaks are enabled by default, but you can also block ads, scan for malware, use two VPNs at once, or access Tor over VPN if you’d like. Further, NordVPN has a strict no-logging policy, meaning you’ll be almost completely anonymous online. You can reach customer support 24/7 via live chat.
NordVPN has apps for MacOS, Linux, Windows, iOS, and Android. Manual configuration is required for use on network routers.
- Incredible speeds
- Huge network of over 5,000 servers
- Works in China, the UAE, and Saudi Arabia
- Zero-logs policy
- No compromise on security
- Desktop apps can be a bit clunky
BEST VPN FOR DISCORD:NordVPN is our first choice. It offers excellent streaming ability, superfast connections, and a wealth of advanced security features. Its plans come with a 30-day money-back guarantee making it a risk-free option.
Read our full NordVPN review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
Surfshark is a great budget alternative. It can securely access Discord from anywhere, for instance, and even works with Netflix, Hulu, BBC iPlayer, and lots of other streaming sites. It also works in China and other countries where popular platforms are blocked. Just enable NoBorders mode if you run into issues.
This provider packs plenty of security features including 256-bit encryption, perfect forward secrecy, a kill switch, and leak protection. On top of those, you get automatic wifi protection, split tunneling, multihop VPN, and more.
Surfshark has apps for Windows, Linux, MacOS, iOS, and Android. It can be configured manually to work with select routers.
- Tons of security features
- Works with sites from across the globe
- Lets you connect all your devices
- Accepts cryptocurrencies
- Menu could be better organized
BEST BUDGET VPN:Surfshark is highly versatile and gives you maximum security with features like automatic wifi protection and multihop VPN. This provider offers a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full review of Surfshark here.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
ExpressVPN currently has more than 3,000 servers in 94 countries. It’s fast, so there’s no need to worry about VoIP lag, and better still, this service boasts excellent streaming ability. This means you can access not just Discord, but other popular platforms like Netflix US, Skype, and WhatsApp from anywhere. Additionally, ExpressVPN works in countries with strict online censorship like China and the UAE.
This VPN protects your traffic from prying eyes using 256-bit encryption, DNS and IPv6 leak protection, and perfect forward secrecy. There’s also a kill switch (in desktop versions) that stops all traffic when you disconnect unexpectedly from the VPN. ExpressVPN doesn’t log any information that could identify you, however, you can pay with Bitcoin for another layer of privacy. Support is available 24/7 over live chat should you need any assistance.
ExpressVPN apps are available for Linux, Windows, MacOS, iOS, and Android. It also offers custom firmware to make installing the service on home routers as easy as possible.
- Fast speeds for streaming and torrenting
- Anonymous payment option (Bitcoin) available
- Solid privacy and security
- Works with Discord and numerous other popular services
- More expensive than other providers
- Advanced features are limited
FLEXIBLE VPN:ExpressVPN takes your security and privacy seriously and allows you to use Discord safely wherever you are. A 30-day money-back guarantee is included.
Read our full ExpressVPN review.
Money-back guarantee: 45 DAYS
CyberGhost offers access to more than 7,000 servers spread across 90+ countries. This VPN has very high speeds, and shows each server’s current load, meaning it’s easy to get a low-latency connection even during peak times. It’s capable of securely accessing Discord, as well as several popular streaming services abroad. Best of all, as seven simultaneous connections are allowed, you can chat securely across all of your devices.
This VPN’s security features are all enabled by default, so there’s no configuration needed. It keeps you safe using 256-bit encryption, a kill switch (in every version), an adblocker, a malware scanner, and protection against IPv6 and DNS leaks. While you can pay with Bitcoin for added anonymity, this is entirely optional since CyberGhost doesn’t log any personally identifiable information. If you need help, live chat support is available 24/7.
CyberGhost provides apps for Windows, Linux, MacOS, Android, and iOS devices. It works on select wireless routers via manual installation.
- Budget provider that doesn’t compromise on security and privacy
- Some of the fastest servers we’ve tested
- Accepts Bitcoin
- Doesn’t work in China
Beginners' choice:CyberGhost provides high-speed servers, easy-to-use apps, and comprehensive protection against security and privacy threats. It includes a 45-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full CyberGhost review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
IPVanish has over 1,900 servers in more than 60 countries. This service is fast enough to stream live HD video, meaning you shouldn’t experience any lag or distortion, even during group calls. IPVanish has lightweight apps and strong multi-platform support, plus it allows any number of simultaneous connections (most VPNs only permit around five), so it’s ideal for those looking to protect all of their devices at once.
This service offers a wide range of security features including 256-bit encryption, DNS and IPv6 leak protection, WireGuard support, a kill switch (desktop only), and OpenVPN traffic obfuscation. This last feature reshapes your traffic, allowing you to use the service even on networks where VPN connections are usually blocked. IPVanish does not keep any logs, so you don’t have to worry about your activities being traced back to you. Live chat is available 24/7 in case of any issues.
IPVanish offers Windows, Android, MacOS, iOS, and Amazon Fire TV apps. You’ll have to manually install it on Linux-based platforms and select internet routers.
- Impressive security and privacy features
- Keeps no logs whatsoever
- Impressive speeds
- Doesn’t reliably work with Netflix, Hulu
PROTECT EVERY DEVICE:IPVanish is fast, lightweight, and security-oriented, plus it has a far higher connection limit than most. This VPN includes a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full IPVanish review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
PrivateVPN has a smaller network than some of the VPNs mentioned above (roughly 200 servers in 60+ countries) but it offers better-than-average speeds. It also boasts excellent streaming ability: as well as Discord, you’ll be able to securely access platforms like Netflix, YouTube, and Telegram. PrivateVPN even has a special “Stealth Mode” for getting around country-wide blocking like China’s Great Firewall.
This VPN secures your traffic using a combination of 256-bit encryption, a kill switch (on Windows), and protection against DNS, WebRTC, and IPv6 leaks. PrivateVPN is a zero-logs provider, but it’s still possible to register anonymously if you’d prefer. You can reach support via live chat most hours of the day. With your permission, support staff can even install and configure the service for you remotely.
PrivateVPN apps are available for Windows, Android, MacOS, and iOS. You’ll have to manually configure it for use on Linux systems and supported routers.
- Faster than many other providers
- Great for streaming
- Keeps no logs whatsoever
- Doesn’t have 24/7 live chat
- Small number of servers to choose from
SECURE MESSAGING ANYWHERE:PrivateVPN has very high speeds, a no-logs policy, and strong security features. It offers a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full PrivateVPN review.
How to use Discord securely with a VPN
New to VPNs and not sure where to start? Don’t worry: below, we’ll explain how to access Discord from anywhere step-by-step:
- First of all, sign up for one of the VPNs below (we recommend NordVPN).
- Next, download and install the software, making sure to get the correct version for your device.
- Connect to one of your VPN’s servers. It doesn’t really matter which one for Discord, but you’ll want a server close to your actual location, in a country where Discord isn’t blocked.
- Open Discord and start messaging. You should now be able to communicate securely, but if you notice any problems, try using a different server or contact your VPN’s customer support team for further advice. You might also want to consult Discord’s help section in case the issue isn’t VPN-related.
Methodology: How we found the best VPNs for Discord
There are hundreds, if not thousands of VPNs on the market. However, to use Discord safely from anywhere, you’ll need one with powerful security, high speeds, and the ability to go undetected. Needless to say, these requirements significantly reduce the number of options you have. Here’s what we expect from the best Discord VPNs:
- Speed and reliability: Slow speeds lead to laggy audio and choppy video calls, which is why we only recommend VPNs that perform well in our regular speed tests. We also take a provider’s reliability into account; after all, it’s not enough for your VPN to only work well at certain times of day.
- Unblocking ability: You might want to use other services from back home that aren’t accessible where you are. That’s why our team tests VPNs against services like Disney+, Overwatch, and Facebook, and only recommends those that excel at beating regional restrictions.
- Security: We require VPNs to offer 256-bit encryption, a kill switch, and protection against DNS and IPv6 leaks to even be considered for our list. That said, we also look for anti-censorship VPN protocols, multi-hop servers, tracker-blocking, and similar features.
- Privacy: Many countries that block VoIP services like Discord have strict online censorship. That’s why a no-logs policy is essential. Ideally, a provider would also let you pay anonymously, either in cryptocurrency, cash, or gift cards.
- Price: Some VPNs try to charge more than is really justifiable given their functionality. Needless to say, we only recommend services that are priced fairly. All the same, we’ll let you know about any discounts and guarantees they offer.
- User-friendliness: Digital privacy should be available to everyone. That’s why we prioritize VPNs with multi-platform support, easy-to-use apps, and live chat-based support (ideally available 24/7).
Of course, this is far from the only testing we perform. We’ve actually put together a guide that explains exactly how we test VPNs at Comparitech.
Chatting securely with Discord: your questions answered
Can I use a free VPN with Discord?
Free VPNs can be appealing at first glance, but there are several reasons why we advise against using them. These services often have more users than their networks can support, which leads to slow speeds and intermittent connections. In practical terms, your voice might sound distorted or robotic when using VoIP services, and your video will likely stutter or pause during video calls. Additionally, not every VPN works with Discord; paid services can usually find a workaround relatively quickly but there’s no guarantee a free VPN will let you access Discord in the first place.
You should also consider the security implications of these services. Recent research has shown that of 283 surveyed apps, 18% never used any encryption at all. Additionally, over 60% were vulnerable to DNS leaks, and nearly 40% included malware of some kind. We’ve even seen well-known companies like Hola abuse their users’ trust, so larger VPN providers aren’t necessarily any safer.
Doesn’t Discord already encrypt my messages?
Discord sends your communications over HTTPS, which means that your ISP can’t see the contents of your messages, only that you’re accessing Discord. However, this doesn’t mean that your activities are completely private. If you’re using the service at work, for instance, your employer may have its own web proxy in place, and as such, would be able to read the contents of your messages.
This software could also be used on public wifi networks, only in these cases, it’s not just the hotspot owner who could intercept your communications; hackers often target public networks since they’re rarely as secure as they should be.
Why doesn’t my VPN doesn’t work properly with Discord?
There are two main reasons why your VPN might cause problems with Discord. First, it must support UDP connections. These days, most VPNs allow users to choose between UDP and TCP when using the OpenVPN protocol, so this shouldn’t really be an issue.
It’s far more likely that you’re using a server that has received an IP ban. Trolls often target Discord servers, receive a ban, and switch to a new VPN server to pick up where they left off. Predictably, this problem is most commonly seen with free VPNs; with smaller server networks, there are only so many addresses to use. If you’re using one of the VPNs recommended above and are still encountering this issue, switching servers will likely allow you to use Discord without any problems.