WhatsApp, like most free VoIP and messaging services, is blocked in Dubai and The UAE. This can make it difficult to keep in touch with friends and family back home unless you’re willing to pay for a government-approved service like C’Me or BOTIM. Even if you go down this route, there’s no guarantee that these apps will keep your activities private. In fact, given the country’s current attitude toward encryption, any degree of real privacy seems unlikely. So, your best option is to use a VPN for WhatsApp calling in Dubai and the UAE.
You can bypass the UAE’s internet blocking by connecting to a VPN server in a different country. This will allow you to use services that are usually inaccessible in Dubai and the UAE, including WhatsApp, dating platforms, and gambling sites. Better still, VPNs encrypt your traffic, ensuring that your employer or Internet Service Provider can’t see what you get up to online.
New to VPNs and not quite sure how to get started? Don’t panic: it’s actually quite easy to bypass online censorship. Just follow the steps below to unblock WhatsApp in Dubai and the UAE. Note that not all VPNs work in the UAE so stick to recommendations from this list.
Here’s how to unblock WhatsApp calling in Dubai and the UAE:
- First, sign up for one of the VPNs below, if you haven’t already (we particularly recommend NordVPN).
- Download and install the appropriate version of the app for your device.
- Log in and connect to a VPN server. Generally, US servers are a strong choice, although you may find that using servers in nearby countries gets you a lower-latency connection.
- Open WhatsApp and try making a call. You should now be able to chat as normal. If you’re still having issues, try clearing the app’s data or using a different server. It may also be a good idea to contact your VPN’s support team for further assistance.
WANT TO TRY THE TOP VPN RISK FREE?
NordVPN is offering a fully-featured risk-free 30-day trial if you sign up at this page. You can use the VPN rated #1 for WhatsApp with no restrictions for a month—great if you just need to unblock the platform for a short time, such as while traveling.
There are no hidden terms—just contact support within 30 days if you decide NordVPN isn't right for you and you'll get a full refund. Start your NordVPN trial here.
You’ll find a brief overview of the best VPNs for WhatsApp calling in the UAE below. If any of them catch your eye, you’ll find a more in-depth review further down the page.
Best VPNs for WhatsApp in Dubai and the UAE:
- NordVPN: Our top choice for unblocking WhatsApp in Dubai and the UAE. A speedy, privacy-conscious VPN that boasts a huge server network, a no-logs policy, and a wide range of advanced security features. Includes a 30-day money-back guarantee.
- Surfshark: The best budget VPN for WhatsApp calling in the UAE. With no connection limit, decent speeds, and a major focus on security, Surfshark makes it easy to use WhatsApp safely in the UAE.
- ExpressVPN: Fast and reliable, with top-notch security and privacy protections.
- Hotspot Shield: Hotspot Shield is very fast, with powerful security features and excellent unblocking ability.
- PrivateVPN: This small but speedy VPN comes with several advanced security features. It keeps no logs whatsoever and easily unblocks WhatsApp abroad.
- VyprVPN: A completely log-free VPN with high-speed servers all over the world and a strong commitment to your security.
There are dozens of VPNs on the market but not all of them are able to unblock WhatsApp in the UAE, and some don’t offer the speeds required for uninterrupted calling. Of course, you’ll likely want to do more than just use your VPN for WhatsApp calls. To make sure you get a VPN capable of handling almost any task, we decided to only recommend services meeting all of the criteria below:
- Has a large network of reliable, high-speed servers
- Unblocks WhatsApp and similar services within the UAE
- Doesn’t log any information that could identify you
- Uses cutting-edge security features including effectively uncrackable encryption
- Provides apps for all major operating systems and devices
Best VPNs for WhatsApp calling in Dubai and the UAE – At a glance
We’ve compared the most important features for the top VPNs here. Prefer to read the in-depth reviews? Start with NordVPN – our #1 choice for WhatsApp calling in Dubai and the UAE.
|No value||NordVPN||Surfshark||ExpressVPN||Hotspot Shield||PrivateVPN||VyprVPN|
|Website||www.NordVPN.com||www.Surfshark.com||www.ExpressVPN.com||www.Hotspotshield.com||www.PrivateVPN.com||www.VyprVPN.com||Ranking for WhatsApp:||1||2||3||4||5||6||Streaming Services||Netflix|
|Avg Speed (Mbps)||100+ Mbps||323.6 Mbps||100+ Mbps||100+ Mbps||71 Mbps||100+ Mbps||Popular Sites Unblocked||95%||88%||86%||85%||85%||90%||Simultaneous Connections||6||Unlimited||5||5||10||5|
|Best deal (per month)||$2.99|
SAVE up to 68% + GET 3 months FREE
Get 2 Months FREE with a 2-year plan
SAVE: 49% on the annual plan
SAVE 77% on the 3 year plan
SAVE 85% on the three year plan
SAVE 50% on the annual plan
Best VPNs for WhatsApp calling in Dubai and the UAE
Below, we’ll take a closer look at the best VPNs for WhatsApp calls in the UAE:
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
NordVPN is our first choice for a WhatsApp VPN. It boasts one of the largest networks around, with over 5,000 servers in 60+ countries. It’s also known for its exceptional unblocking ability, allowing users in the UAE to access services like Amazon Prime Video, Netflix US, and of course, WhatsApp. Speeds are faster than those of any other VPN we’ve tested, so calls are unlikely to pose a problem. NordVPN permits up to six connections at once.
This VPN uses 256-bit AES encryption, a customizable kill switch, and protection against DNS, WebRTC, and IPv6 leaks to help keep you safe online. It also includes an ad-blocker, a malware-scanner, and servers specifically designed for use in countries where the internet is heavily censored. NordVPN has a strict no-logging policy, so once connected, you’re effectively untraceable (although you can pay with Bitcoin for another layer of anonymity). Customer support is available 24/7 over live chat.
NordVPN has apps for Linux, Windows, macOS, Android, and iOS. It also works with select home routers via manual configuration.
- Blazing fast speeds
- Excellent security and encryption standards
- Keeps no logs whatsoever
- Easily unblocks a wide range of geo-locked sites
- Solid customer support
- The desktop app can be awkward to use
BEST VPN FOR WHATSAPP IN UAE:NordVPN is our first pick. It boasts incredible speeds, packs several advanced security features, and easily unblocks WhatsApp from inside the UAE. Comes with a no-logs policy and access to over 5,000 high-speed servers. A 30-day money-back guarantee makes this a risk-free option.
Read our in-depth review of NordVPN.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
Surfshark currently operates around 3,200 servers in 65 countries. Its speeds are more than fast enough for video calling, and in fact, you should even be able to use services like Netflix and Sling TV from abroad without any noticeable lag or buffering. One of the best things about Surfshark is that it has no connection limit; simply, one account allows you to secure every device you own.
This service’s security features include 256-bit AES encryption, protection against DNS, WebRTC, and IPv6 leaks, and a kill switch, as well as a built-in ad-blocker and malware-scanner. Best of all, there’s a NoBorders feature designed to bypass governmental web filtering in countries like the UAE where the internet is heavily restricted. You can pay in one of three accepted cryptocurrencies if you like, but this is optional as Surfshark doesn’t log any personally identifiable data. Need help? Customer support is on hand 24/7 via live chat.
Surfshark offers Windows, Linux, macOS, iOS, and Android apps. It can be manually installed on supported wireless routers.
- Connect as many devices as you like
- Takes privacy and security very seriously
- Steady, reliable speeds
- 24/7 live chat
- Occasional slow server
BEST BUDGET VPN:Surfshark is ideal for unblocking WhatsApp abroad thanks to its high speeds, strong privacy protections, and advanced security features. What’s more, it has no connection limit and even comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Check out our comprehensive Surfshark review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
ExpressVPN has more than 3,000 servers across 90+ countries, which all but guarantees you a high-speed low-latency connection. This service has excellent unblocking ability, so while you can use it to make WhatsApp calls in the UAE, it also allows you to use platforms like Netflix US, Amazon Prime Video, and Hulu. What’s more, you can connect up to five devices at once.
This VPN comes with several powerful security features. These include 256-bit AES encryption, protection against WebRTC, IPv6, and DNS leaks, and a kill switch (sometimes called a network lock) that stops all data-transferal whenever you lose your connection unexpectedly. ExpressVPN doesn’t log any data that could identify you but if you’re worried about privacy, there’s always the option to pay in Bitcoin. If you have any problems, you can reach customer support over live chat 24/7.
ExpressVPN provides apps for iOS, Android, macOS, Windows, and Linux devices. It also has custom router firmware, making it easy to protect all of your devices at once.
- Fast download/streaming speeds
- Best in class security and privacy
- Pay anonymously with Bitcoin
- Great capabilities for unblocking geo-locked content
- Limited advanced features for power-users
STRONG SECURITY:ExpressVPN is another good choice for making WhatsApp calls in the UAE. It’s fast, boasts top-notch privacy protection, and comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
For more information, check out the full ExpressVPN review.
Money-back guarantee: 45 DAYS
Editor’s Note: Hotspot Shield is owned by Pango, Comparitech’s parent company.
Hotspot Shield has around 3,200 high-speed servers in 70+ countries, which means you’ll be able to make WhatsApp calls free from any interruptions. Additionally, this VPN reliably works several other popular streaming services in the UAE including Netflix US and ITV Hub. It permits up to five simultaneous connections, which means you can access whatever you want, whether you’re at home or on the go.
This service uses 128-bit AES encryption, a kill switch (Windows only), and DNS leak protection to keep your activities private at all times. Hotspot Shield doesn’t log any identifiable information beyond the duration of your session. 24/7 live chat is available should you need any help, although this VPN’s apps are fairly simple to use.
Hotspot Shield apps are available for Windows, Android, macOS, and iOS.
- Fast, reliable speeds
- Unblocks WhatsApp with ease
- Decent security features
- Plenty of servers to choose from
- No Linux support
FAST AND RELIABLE:Hotspot Shield is an excellent, low-cost VPN capable of unblocking WhatsApp in the UAE. It boasts reliable high-speed connections, over 3,000 servers worldwide, and a 45-day money-back guarantee.
Interested? Take a look at our complete Hotspot Shield review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
PrivateVPN has fewer servers than some of the VPNs above but it beats them all when it comes to speed. Further, as this service boasts exceptional unblocking ability, you shouldn’t have any issues whether you’re looking to make WhatsApp calls or simply stream your favorite shows while in the UAE. PrivateVPN lets you secure up to six devices simultaneously.
This VPN uses IPv6, DNS, and WebRTC leak protection, a kill switch, and 256-bit encryption to ensure you’re protected from snoopers 100 percent of the time. It also includes a traffic scrambling feature that hides the telltale signs of VPN traffic, allowing you to use services and networks that usually block VPN users outright. PrivateVPN does not keep any logs at all, so your privacy is in good hands. If you need help, you can reach customer support over live chat 22 hours per day.
PrivateVPN provides apps for iOS, Android, macOS, and Windows. Manual setup is required if you’d like to use it on your internet router or Linux system.
- Faster than many other providers
- Zero-logs provider
- Privacy and security are top-notch
- Fewer servers to choose from than other providers higher on this list
- Doesn’t have 24/7 live chat
SECURITY-FIRST PROVIDER:PrivateVPN is a very fast provider that takes your security seriously. It keeps no logs, lets you make WhatsApp calls in the UAE, and includes a 30-day money-back guarantee.
To find out more, read the full PrivateVPN review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
VyprVPN has roughly 700 servers in more than 70 countries, so it’s ideal for anyone looking to unblock a wide range of geo-blocked services. It provides consistently high speeds and lets you use plenty of major platforms in the UAE, including WhatsApp, Netflix, and Amazon Prime Video. With up to five simultaneous connections allowed, VyprVPN enables you to protect most of your devices with a single account.
This service keeps your traffic secure using a combination of 256-bit encryption, a kill switch (desktop only), and protection against DNS and IPv6 leaks. There’s also a traffic scrambling feature that allows you to hide the fact that you’re using a VPN. Most importantly, VyprVPN keeps no logs whatsoever, which means it can’t divulge details of your activities even if asked to. Live chat-based support is available 24/7 in case of any issues.
VyprVPN has iOS, macOS, Android, and Windows apps. This service works with Linux systems and supported network routers via manual installation.
- Doesn’t log any personally identifying information
- Fast enough for uninterrupted video calling
- Class-leading security and privacy features
- Lacking options for advanced configuration
- No cryptocurrency payment method
STREAM AND CHAT SECURELY:VyprVPN is a completely logless service, making it perfect for anonymous communication. It offers reliable, high-speed connections, cutting-edge security features, and a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Check out our complete VyprVPN review.
Methodology: How we find VPNs for WhatsApp calling in Dubai and the UAE
Many VPNs cannot provide the privacy features you need to make WhatsApp calls privately in the UAE. We have reviewed all the VPNs in this guide using a precise VPN testing methodology. Below, we have included a list of things that we looked for when finding VPNs for WhatsApp calling:
- Secure apps: Whether you want to use WhatsApp on an iPhone or an Android phone, it is vital that it has a secure VPN app for that platform. In this guide, we have recommended VPNs with apps for all devices so that you can unblock WhatsApp calling on your specific smartphone.
- A no-logs policy: Anybody using a VPN to bypass the UAE’s rules against VoIP calls will want to know that their VPN is not keeping any records that could later identify their WhatsApp use. For that reason, we have only recommended trustworthy VPNs with a no usage logs policy.
- A kill-switch: An internet kill switch is an important VPN feature that cuts your connection should the VPN drop out. This ensures that you never accidentally leak data outside of the VPN tunnel that reveals you used WhatsApp to make free calls.
- Global server network: To access WhatsApp and download it (and other banned VoIP apps, you will need a VPN with servers in countries where WhatsApp is available to make calls. In this guide, we have recommended world-class VPNs that have servers in upwards of 50 countries.
- Superb accessibility: A VPN is useful for gaining privacy and online freedom. Our recommendations have been tested to check that they work with popular geo-restricted and censored services like Reddit, Netflix, Hulu, Prime Video, and BBC iPlayer.
- Outstanding customer care: Whether you are a long-time VPN user or a beginner, it is always good to know that you can contact the VPN’s support to ask questions. Our recommendations have live chat and email support to allow you to get help with setting up or using the VPN at any time of day.
- Fast speeds: Many VPNs are too slow to make video and voice calls on WhatsApp. In this guide, we pinpointed secure services that also provide fast enough connections for gaming, streaming in HD, and unblocking WhatsApp calling without issues.
VPNs to unblock WhatsApp calling FAQs
Can I use a free VPN for WhatsApp calling in UAE?
You might be tempted to try to unblock WhatsApp using a free VPN but we strongly advise against it. To begin with, these services often have more users than their networks can support. This leads to very slow speeds and all but guarantees you’ll experience distortion or drop-outs during your calls (if the VPN can unblock WhatsApp at all). Further, unlike their paid rivals, free VPNs usually don’t have the funds or legal resources to stand up to governmental pressure.
Free services can also pose a major security risk. Research indicates that a large number of “free VPN” apps on the Google Play Store are actually Trojans. Worse still, even if you install a malware-free VPN, it may not use encryption or protect against DNS and IPv6 leaks, meaning you could still be identified and have your information exposed. Additionally, there’s no telling what the VPN provider does with your data; some make a profit by selling user traffic logs to advertisers.
What else can I do with a VPN in the UAE?
With the right VPN, you’ll be able to access almost any website you like in the UAE without your internet service provider in UAE seeing your activities. However, internet laws vary greatly from one location to another, so it may not be legal to access certain types of content in the UAE. We recommend you avoid accessing gambling and adult websites which are illegal in most Arabic countries. Make sure to consult the local laws before using a VPN to unblock any type of content where you are unsure of the legal position on accessing the site.
Commonly blocked sites include:
Will I get Improved Voice Quality in WhatsApp with a VPN?
A VPN must encrypt your data and route your traffic to one of its servers to provide you with privacy. This additional processing will add an extra latency, which is more likely to diminish, rather than improve, voice quality.
That said, it is possible that internet users who experience bad quality when using VoIP services could be suffering from bandwidth throttling imposed by their ISP. Admittedly, this should not be the case in the UAE, because VoIP calls are blocked instead of throttled.
Despite this, it is worth noting that anybody suffering from poor voice quality elsewhere in the world (or even within the UAE if your ISP is not completely blocking WhatsApp) can try connecting to a VPN to see if this counteracts ISP bandwidth throttling. If this is the case, a VPN may be able to improve voice quality.
Alternatively, anybody wanting to improve the quality of voice calls while using a VPN can try the following tricks:
- Enable low data usage in WhatsApp by heading to Settings > Data and Storage usage > Enable Low Data Usage.
- Enable VoLTE in the network setting of your device.
- Switch your device to power-saving mode.
- Try a different VPN protocol. If your VPN provides OpenVPN and WireGuard or some other proprietary protocol, try each protocol to see which is fastest (probably WireGuard).
Is unblocking WhatsApp legal?
Using a VPN is not considered a criminal offense in the UAE. However, VPNs do cause something of a gray area. Generally, using a VPN to do anything that is not illegal should not get you in trouble.
Despite this, it is generally advisable to use obfuscation when you use a VPN in the UAE to prevent the potential of arousing suspicion even when you are only using a VPN to do legal things like watching US Netflix.
Using a VPN to bypass the government’s rules on VoIP calls is definitely getting extremely close to crossing into the gray area. Ultimately, it is possible that the authorities may decide you are technically breaking its rules by using a VPN to unblock WhatsApp calling.
Thus, to be on the safe side, we strongly recommend familiarizing yourself with the relevant legislation (specifically, Federal Law No. 12 of 2016, Article 1) before attempting to use a VPN in the UAE.
Finally, we would like to highlight that Compartech never gives legal advice and nothing in this article should be taken as legal advice. Instead, we encourage you to do your own research to fully understand the legal situation before opting to use a VPN to access WhatsApp.