Recognizing your need for unrestricted internet access while in Egypt, we understand the pain of countless blocked services: including blogs, websites, and popular apps. With our expertise in digital solutions, we have thoroughly researched and tested various methods to write this guide.
We understand the importance of staying connected to your home services, regardless of location. A viable solution to bypass these blocks is utilizing a Virtual Private Network (VPN). This technology functions by masking your IP address and replacing it with one from a country of your choice, enabling you to access services like Skype, WhatsApp, and Facebook, even from Egypt.
However, all VPNs are not created equal. Below, we provide detailed reviews of the top providers. Feel free to skim through our quick summary shortlist if you’re pressed for time. Our findings are backed by rigorous testing, ensuring you receive only the most effective solutions.
Best VPNs for Egypt:
- NordVPN: Our top pick for an Egypt VPN! A large network of high-speed servers operating out of 60 countries allows plenty of options for unblocking VoIP and chat apps. Security and privacy are paramount. Includes a 30-day money-back guarantee.
- Surfshark: Best budget option. Expanding server network with locations in Egypt. Great for streaming. Plenty of security and privacy features. Allows unlimited simultaneous connections.
- ExpressVPN: No issues unblocking most chat and VoIP services. Large network of servers in over 90 countries, including Egypt. Great for streaming and downloading.
- CyberGhost: Beginner-friendly apps, dedicated streaming servers, kill switch available on desktop and mobile. 40+ servers in Egypt.
- IPVanish: Fast and secure servers that have no issues getting around geographic restrictions. Particularly good at unblocking chat apps and VoIP services.
- Private Internet Access: A highly customizable VPN with strong privacy features. Over 10,000 servers in 84+ countries, including Egypt.
- PrivateVPN: Gaining a solid reputation for its unblocking capabilities.
WANT TO TRY THE TOP VPN RISK FREE?
NordVPN is offering a fully-featured risk-free 30-day trial if you sign up at this page. You can use the VPN rated #1 for Egypt with no restrictions for a month—great if you're going on a trip and want to browse securely and unblock your favorite platforms.
There are no hidden terms—just contact support within 30 days if you decide NordVPN isn't right for you and you'll get a full refund. Start your NordVPN trial here.
How to unblock websites in Egypt using a VPN
Once you’ve signed up for an account with a VPN provider, unblocking the app or website of your choice is easy. Just follow the simple steps belwo.
Here’s how to unblock WhatsApp, Skype, and more with a VPN in Egypt:
- Choose a suitable VPN provider. (We recommend NordVPN).
- Install your chosen VPN provider’s app on your preferred device
- Run the app and sign in if necessary
- Select the option to choose a location. Choosing a server in a nearby country will ensure a faster connection, but if you want to unblock content that’s geo-locked to a specific country, then choose accordingly. For example, a US server to gain a US IP address and access US content.
- Press “Connect” and wait for the connection to be established
- Once the connection is established, just open the website or app as you normally would. It should now be unblocked.
- If you’re still experiencing issues, try clearing your cache and cookies and then reloading the page.
IMPORTANT: VPNs are legal in Egypt, but many of their servers and websites are blocked. We recommend you sign up and download the VPN of your choice before arriving in Egypt, if possible.
See also: How to get an Egyptian IP address
Best VPNs for Egypt: Our hands-on review
We’ve compared the most important features for the top VPNs here. Prefer to read the in-depth reviews? Start with NordVPN – our #1 choice for Egypt.
|No value||NordVPN||Surfshark||ExpressVPN||CyberGhost||IPVanish||Private Internet Access|
|Website||NordVPN.com||Surfshark.com||ExpressVPN.com||Cyberghost.com||IPVanish.com||PrivateInternetAccess.com||Ranking for Egypt:||1||2||3||4||5||6||Streaming Services||Netflix|
|Avg Speed (Europe)||100+ Mbps||100+ Mbps||100+ Mbps||100+ Mbps||100+ Mbps||25 Mbps||Popular Sites Unblocked||95%||88%||86%||85%||70%||70%||Activity logs||None||None||No identifying data||No identifying data||No logs stored|
|Best deal (per month)||$3.19|
SAVE 61% + 3 month FREE
Get 2 Months FREE with a 2-year plan
SAVE: 49% on the annual plan
SAVE 82% on the 2 year plan + 2 months FREE
SAVE 72% on the 2 year plan
SAVE 82% on the 2 yr plan + 3 months free
The best VPNs for unblocking sites in Egypt
There are plenty of VPNs on the market, but they don’t all provide the same level of service. With that in mind, when we made a list of the best VPNs for Egypt we looked for the following criteria:
- Fast speed and unlimited data/bandwidth for high-quality and stable VoIP calls
- Strong and up-to-date encryption and authentication
- No traffic logs are stored on VPN servers containing contents of web traffic
- Both mobile and desktop apps are available
In the methodology section, you can read more about the process we use to test and rank the VPNs that we recommend. For now, let’s take a closer look at the ones that made our list.
Here’s our list of the best VPNs for unblocking sites like Skype and WhatsApp in Egypt:
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
NordVPN is our top choice for Egypt. This Panama-based provider offers the fastest speeds we’ve seen, excellent security, and several features specialized for privacy and anonymity. These include Tor over VPN and double VPN connections. NordVPN offers fantastic value, allowing up to six connections at the same time. It can access US Netflix and Hulu, both in a browser and on the respective mobile apps. The company keeps zero logs on its users.
NordVPN’s apps boast an optional obfuscation feature that disguises your VPN connection to look like normal, unencrypted internet traffic.
Apps are available for Windows, Linux, macOS, iOS, and Android.
- Operates over 5,500 servers in 60 countries, easily gets around VoIP geo-blocks
- Pegs incredible speeds
- Works with most streaming services
- Top-tier encryption standards with DNS leak protection
- Easy-to-use apps for most platforms
- Around-the-clock live chat available
- Desktop app can take some getting used to
BEST VPN FOR EGYPT:NordVPN is our top pick. Solid security and privacy and works reliably in Egypt. Use up to 6 devices at once with great connection speeds. 30-day money-back guarantee for a risk-free deal.
Read our full review of NordVPN.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
Surfshark is a great low-cost VPN with an expanding server network and a range of security features. Aside from military-grade encryption, you get a kill switch, leak protection, automatic wifi protection, and multi-hop servers. Surfshark keeps no logs whatsoever.
One of the biggest selling points of this service is you can connect as many devices as you like under a single subscription, making this an exceptional deal. Surfshark is an excellent choice for streaming and can grant you access to the likes of Netflix and Amazon Prime Video from anywhere. A special NoBorders mode will help you bypass Egypt blocks.
Apps can be downloaded for Linux, Windows, macOS, iOS, and Android. Some routers can be configured manually.
- Works with Netflix, Hulu, and BBC iPlayer
- Keeps no logs whatsoever
- Connect as many devices as you like
- Strong commitment to your security
- 24/7 support via live chat
- Some slower speeds
BEST BUDGET ALTERNATIVE:Surfshark is a solid low-cost provider. Boasts a growing network of servers, strong security features, and a no-logs policy. No connection limit. Plans include a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full review of Surfshark.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
ExpressVPN makes intuitive, easy-to-use apps. But don’t let the simple design fool you. The provider maintains the highest standards when it comes to encryption and authentication. ExpressVPN keeps no traffic logs and is based in the British Virgin Islands, which has no mandatory data retention laws. A single subscription nets you five simultaneous connections.
ExpressVPN is one of the very few VPNs consistently capable of securely accessing US Netflix, Hulu, and other streaming content from abroad. ExpressVPN uses obfuscation to bypass Egyptian ISP’s VPN detection systems.
Apps are available for Windows, macOS, Android, iOS, Linux (command line), and certain wifi routers.
- Large global network has no issues getting around VoIP blocks
- Easy-to-use apps for Windows, MacOS, Android, iOS, and Linux
- Superfast connections with no bandwidth or data restrictions
- Top-notch encryption, security, and privacy features are the default
- 24/7 customer support via live chat
- Not as cheap as some other services
- Streaming servers aren’t labeled
GOOD ALL-ROUNDER:ExpressVPN is a fast and reliable choice that confidently unblocks most restricted sites and content. Great privacy features and keeps no logs. Pricey, but you get what you pay for. Try it risk-free with the 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full ExpressVPN review.
Money-back guarantee: 45 DAYS
CyberGhost is a strong choice for users in Egypt seeking a reliable VPN. One of its most impressive features is its vast network of over 9,000 servers in over 90 countries. Notably, it offers numerous servers in and around Egypt, making it an excellent choice for Egyptians bypassing local internet restrictions.
When it comes to performance, CyberGhost doesn’t disappoint. It provides high-speed connections that ensure smooth streaming, fast downloads, and lag-free browsing. So, whether you’re keen on watching live sports, streaming movies, or browsing the internet, CyberGhost ensures a seamless online experience.
One of CyberGhost’s unique features is its ability to automatically connect to the best server based on your preferences and needs, whether you’re streaming, torrenting, or browsing. This makes it very user-friendly and convenient, especially for people who are new to using VPNs.
CyberGhost takes privacy seriously and has a strict no-logs policy. It’s based in Romania, which has strong privacy laws and is out of reach from 14 Eyes Intelligence. With top-notch encryption, an automatic kill switch, and DNS and IP leak protection, CyberGhost goes above and beyond to keep your online activities private and secure.
What’s more, you can connect up to seven devices simultaneously with a single account. And if you run into any issues or have questions, CyberGhost offers 24/7 customer support.
The user-friendly apps are available for various platforms, including Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, Linux, and routers. In addition, dedicated apps for Amazon Fire Stick and Android TV are also available.
- Vast server network in 90 countries including 40+ in Egypt
- Seven-device simultaneous connection allowance
- Minimal configuration required
- All security features enabled by default
- 45-day money-back guarantee
- No router support
- Customization features aren’t readily available
USER-FRIENDLY CHOICE:CyberGhost uses military-grade encryption offers servers in over 88 countries, and includes a 7-device connection limit. Try it risk-free with the generous 45-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full CyberGhost review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
IPVanish owns, rather than rents, all of the servers on its global VPN network, which means customers are ensured a sturdy connection for VoIP calls and streaming. By default, all connections use the WireGuard protocol, uncrackable encryption, and perfect forward secrecy. The company keeps zero logs. Customers can connect as many devices as they like on a single account.
The apps include an optional obfuscation feature that disguises your VPN connection to look like normal, unencrypted internet traffic.
Apps are available for Windows, macOS, iOS, and Android. IPVanish is also a favorite among Kodi users due to its remote control-friendly design.
- Works well with all major VoIP apps, including Skype
- Keeps no logs, has an automatic kill switch and wifi protection
- Easy-to-use apps for Windows MacOS, iOS, and Android
- Allows unlimited simultaneous connections
- Apps don’t work in China
- Based in the US, a 5 Eyes Member
EXCELLENT FOR VOIP:IPVanish is a solid choice. Great for unblocking restricted sites and services in Egypt. Own network of super-fast servers and score top marks for privacy and security. A favorite with Kodi users and torrenters. 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full IPVanish review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
Private Internet Access is a US-based provider that has a no-logging policy, strong encryption, customizable protocols, a kill switch, obfuscation, split tunneling, ad blocking, and malware filtering. It has over 10,000 servers, which allows it to avoid any server congestion. And it is super-fast thanks to its WireGuard protocol.
PIA has servers in 84+ countries, including servers in Egypt, to access region-locked services or to use local services with added privacy. It allows torrenting throughout its network. However, it does not have port forwarding, so if you need to seed with your client – you may prefer to shop elsewhere.
Being based in the US may put some users off. However, it has proven its no logs policy in court, and it has a clear track record of providing privacy for its users. Live chat support is available on its website, and it works with many popular streaming services.
- Circumvents VoIP blocks
- Military-grade encryption and customization options
- Zero logs policy
- A bit tricky for beginners
- Doesn’t work with some major streaming services
UNLIMITED DATA USAGE:PIA is a fast and secure VPN with a lot of protocol customization options. Works to access Netflix US in Egypt. Can unblock VoIP services and anything blocked by the government. 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full PIA review
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
PrivateVPN is a young up-and-coming VPN making a big splash despite its relatively small server network. Support staff confirmed PrivateVPN does work in Egypt out of the box for most users. In some cases, however, subscribers may need to configure an additional proxy using Shadowsocks, an internet censorship circumvention tool often used in China. PrivateVPN’s live chat support can guide you through the process or even remotely take control of your PC or Macbook to set it up on your behalf (with your permission, of course).
Apps are available for Windows, macOS, iOS, and Android.
- Has no issues getting around VoIP blocks and restrictions
- Easy-to-use apps for Windows, MacOS, iOS, and Android
- Strong security and privacy protection features
- Fewer servers to choose from than other providers higher on this list
- Works with Linux but requires manual configuration
- Support staff are good, but only operate during European business hours
GREAT FOR SPEED:PrivateVPN is consistently reliable. Good for general-purpose use and Torrenting. Speeds were surprisingly good at this end of the market. Could do with having more servers and lacks 24/7 support. 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full PrivateVPN review.
Finding the best VPNs for Egypt: Our testing methodology
At Comparitech, we use a proprietary VPN testing methodology that we have been refining over many years, and below we have included the primary things we looked for in compiling our list of the best VPNs for Egypt:
- Apps for all devices. We check that the VPN has reliable apps for Windows, macOS, iOS, and Android. With additional points for extras, such as browser extensions, apps for Firestick devices, and setup guides or apps for using the VPN with other devices, such as games consoles, smart TVs, and routers.
- Robust security. Using a VPN in Egypt to get around restrictions and censorship requires a VPN with strong security options. We have searched for services that include trusted VPN protocols such as OpenVPN, with advanced encryption options such as AES-256 with perfect forward secrecy. We also check for a no-logs policy.
- Plenty of useful features. Some VPNs charge over the odds for a few basic VPN features. We search the market for VPNs that offer a wide range of features at a reasonable price point. Features like a kill-switch, obfuscation, Smart DNS, split tunneling, port forwarding, Tor over VPN, and multi-hop connections.
- DNS leak protection. We test each VPN that we recommend first; to be sure it has no IP, DNS, or WebRTC leaks. This guarantees that the VPN is providing the privacy it claims – by properly proxying your web traffic and DNS lookup requests. In addition to testing for leaks, we check for a DNS leak protection feature in the apps to ensure that the VPN is fully equipped.
- Fast servers worldwide. A VPN for Egypt is only as useful as the servers it provides. We recommend fast VPNs that are both secure and useful. In this guide, all the recommended VPNs have servers in upwards of 50 countries (including Egypt to use local services privately).
- Superb accessibility. We test each VPN to check if it is able to provide access to popular international services like Netflix, BBC iPlayer, Hulu, Amazon Prime Video, etc. We also test its Egyptian IPs to ensure they work with popular local services like the Middle East Broadcasting Center (MBC) and Orbit Showtime Network (OSN).
- Outstanding customer care. We use mystery shopping methods to test each VPN’s support agents. We recommend services with both email and live chat support that have agents who know their stuff and will help you quickly whenever you have questions about using your VPN in Egypt.
Using a free VPN instead
All of the VPNs above require a monthly subscription (although some offer a money-back guarantee), but we recommend them for a reason. They are obligated to protect your privacy and provide the highest level of service possible. Doing otherwise is not in the best business interests.
Free VPNs often do not have your best interests at heart. They often use obsolete encryption suites or, even worse, no encryption at all. Some even inject advertisements or cookies into your web browser, making it even less private than when you started off. The handful of free VPNs that don’t engage in these shady practices typically has data caps or bandwidth limits, making them unsuitable for VoIP calling and video streaming.
For these reasons, we strongly advise you to go with a reputable, paid VPN service.
Why you should use a VPN in Egypt
The Egyptian government has ordered ISPs to block hundreds of blogs and news sites and may do so again with more and more sites. In addition, it’s not unusual for journalists and dissidents to be arrested for publishing so-called “fake news”. For these reasons, it’s wise to purchase a VPN so that you can access blocked content and protect your identity and avoid internet censorship.
2018 social media law
In July 2018, Egypt’s parliament passed a law giving the Egyptian government the power to block social media accounts and punish journalists who publish fake news, according to Reuters. Any blog or social media account with more than 5,000 followers can be prosecuted for publishing fake news or incitement to break the law.
Furthermore, the bill prohibits anyone from making a new website without a license from the Supreme Council. The Council can block or suspend existing websites and impose fines on editors.
An Egypt VPN can bypass any such ban and allow you to access blocked websites. If you’re a journalist, blogger, or publisher, a VPN can mask your real IP address to make it look as though you’re in another country. Read more in our guide to anonymous blogging.
Egypt’s VoIP ban
In August 2017, Egypt began blocking voice and video calls made over VoIP and messaging apps, including Skype, Facebook Messenger, FaceTime, and WhatsApp, according to Quartz. The government effectively shut down access to those apps on the heels of a terrorist that killed 47 people in two churches. Egypt’s emergency law allows authorities to monitor and shutter online communication and media with no judicial oversight.
Text messages over these apps still work, according to reports, but there’s no telling how long the block on voice and video will last. Some critics speculate that national security is not the only motivation; Egypt’s telcos have complained to regulators about over-the-top calling apps that eat into their profits by using the internet in lieu of their legacy phone networks.
A VPN will unblock online voice and video calls.
Other attacks on internet freedom
Whatever the reason, the future isn’t bright for Egypt’s internet. The government has incrementally tightened its grip on the web. Here are a few other notable actions of censorship:
- Officials blocked the encrypted voice-calling feature used by Signal, a secure messaging and VoIP app.
- A new law on the books would mandate a life sentence in prison for “anyone who creates or uses a website with the purpose of establishing a terrorist entity; promoting its ideology; exchanging its messages and assignments; or funding, owning, wiring and providing money, arms, ammunition or explosives to the benefit of such entities”
- A lawyer was sentenced to ten years in prison and a five-year ban from using the internet for Facebook posts deemed insulting to President Abdel Fattah El Sisi
Note that there are no laws in Egypt prohibiting the use of VPNs as of this time, but many of their servers and websites are blocked. We recommend you sign up and download the VPN of your choice before arriving in Egypt, if possible.
VPNs for Egypt: FAQs
Are VPNs legal in Cairo?
VPNs are legal in Cairo, though the government may restrict access to specific VPNs or ban them altogether at any time. The use of a VPN is generally seen as a precautionary measure for ex-pats and tourists traveling to Egypt, as it allows them to access websites and applications that may be blocked by the government.
Is it safe to use a VPN in Egypt?
Yes, using a VPN in Egypt is absolutely safe. In fact, a VPN can be incredibly useful in a country like Egypt, where Internet access is often restricted or monitored by the Egyptian authorities.
How is Egypt blocking the OpenVPN protocol?
There are a few ways that Egypt could be blocking the OpenVPN protocol. One way is by using deep packet inspection (DPI) to detect the OpenVPN traffic and then blocking it.
Another way is by using a firewall to block the ports that OpenVPN uses. And finally, they could be monitoring the traffic going in and out of their networks and blacklisting any packets that contain the OpenVPN protocol.
Can I get an Egyptian IP address?
If you’re hoping to access Egypt-only services or reduce latency as much as possible while visiting the country, you’ll want a VPN with servers that are actually in Egypt. The problem is that many providers are hesitant to offer these due to the risk of government interference. Still, there are a few major VPNs with Egyptian servers, including ExpressVPN, Surfshark, CyberGhost, and Hotspot Shield.