Have you ever felt the pinch of being cut off from Facebook, a platform integral to our daily lives? It’s not just you. Countless individuals grapple with restricted access, be it in educational institutions like schools or colleges aiming to sharpen focus, workplaces striving to boost productivity, or even countries like China or North Korea imposing stringent censorship for varied reasons. But what if we told you there’s a tested and proven solution?
After rigorous research and testing by the team at Comparitech, we’ve unearthed the optimal tool: A VPN or Virtual Private Network. This ingenious tool encrypts your digital traffic, rerouting it through an intermediary server. The result? Your online activities remain invisible to prying eyes. So, a VPN is your ticket to unrestricted access, whether you’re trying to log into Facebook from a college campus, a strict workplace, or even from within a country with harsh restrictions.
In this article, we’ll list the best VPNs for the job and explain how to use them. We’ll go into more detail on each of the providers we feature below, but in case you’re short on time, here’s a quick summary.
Best VPNs to unblock Facebook anywhere:
- NordVPN: Our first choice for unblocking Facebook anywhere. A reliable provider that makes no compromises on speed or privacy. Thousands of servers around the globe are great at unblocking sites and services. Includes a 30-day money-back guarantee.
- Surfshark: Best budget VPN for unblocking Facebook. A solid all-around performer that puts major emphasis on user security. Keeps no logs and allows any number of simultaneous connections.
- ExpressVPN: With a vast network of speedy servers in over 90 countries, this provider excels in unblocking geo-restricted sites and censored services.
- CyberGhost: A beginner-friendly option with easy-to-use apps, impressive speeds, and a huge network of servers to unblock Facebook from anywhere.
- IPVanish: Speedy and secure service you can rely on to access Facebook from anywhere. Apps have good privacy features and are remote-control friendly.
- AtlasVPN: Servers in 40+ locations that unblock Facebook effortlessly. Strong security features and privacy protocols.
- Private Internet Access: Impressive unblocking capabilities with good server speeds and easy-to-use apps with a network of over 10,000 servers.
TIP In our testing we found that the cheapest NordVPN plan (Standard) works perfectly for Facebook.
WANT TO TRY THE TOP VPN RISK FREE?
NordVPN is offering a fully-featured risk-free 30-day trial if you sign up at this page. You can use the VPN rated #1 for Facebook without any restrictions for a full month—great if you want to stay in touch while traveling in countries with strict online censorship.
There are no hidden terms—just contact support within 30 days if you decide not to continue with NordVPN to receive a full refund. Start your NordVPN trial here.
The best Facebook VPNs: Our hands-on review
We’ve researched and compared the most important features of the top VPNs here. Prefer to read the in-depth reviews? Start with NordVPN – our #1 choice for Facebook.
|Rating for Facebook
|Windows, MacOS, iOS, Android, Linux
|Windows, MacOS, iOS, Android, Linux, Amazon Fire TV
|Windows, MacOS, iOS, Android, Linux, Smart TVs, Routers
|Windows, MacOS, Linux, iOS, Android
|Windows, MacOS, iOS, Android
|Windows, MacOS, iOS, Android, Linux, Android TV, Amazon Fire TV
|Avg Speed (Mbps)
|No identifying data
|No identifying data
|No logs stored
|No logs stored
|Best deal (per month)
SAVE 67% on a 2 yr plan + gifts
Save 79% + Get 2 Months FREE
SAVE: 49% + 3 months free
SAVE 83% on the 2 year plan
SAVE 75% on the 2 yr plan
SAVE 86% on a 2 year plan + 6 months free
The best VPNs for unblocking Facebook
There are a lot of VPN providers on the market, but they don’t all provide the same level of service. To help you out, we’ve compiled a list of the best VPNs that work flawlessly with Facebook. They’re ranked on the following factors:
- Speed and stability of service
- A large number of server locations across the world
- Strong encryption parameters so your location remains hidden
- Apps for Android and iOS
- Provision for simultaneous connections
- Ease of use
You can read more about how we test and rank our VPNs further on in this article, but for now, let’s look at the VPNs that made the list.
Here are the best VPNs for unblocking Facebook from anywhere:
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
NordVPN is our first choice VPN for Facebook, whether in a restricted country or on a restricted network such as at work or school. It’s among the fastest VPNs we’ve tested and has lots of options for power users who want an enhanced browsing experience.
NordVPN can be categorized as a logless VPN service because user data simply isn’t stored at all. The policy has served it well in the past — authorities sent multiple requests for data, but there wasn’t anything on internal servers that could identify users.
All internet traffic is encrypted via 256-bit AES and 2,048-bit DH keys. DNS leak protection is enabled by default. A single subscription grants access to six devices, which is higher than the industry standard.
There’s a wide list of servers to choose from, with more than 5,500 spread across 60+ countries. You can pick one based on what you’d like to do on the web, such as torrenting, anti-DDoS, video streaming, or ultra-secure privacy.
Apps for both Android and iOS are available, as well as a desktop client for Windows, Linux, and macOS.
- Extremely fast and reliable downloading and streaming speeds
- Easily bypasses restrictions on major geo-locked platforms
- Around-the-clock live support chat is available
- Strict no-logs policy ideal for privacy-conscious users
- Apps for all major mobile and desktop platforms
30-day money-back guarantee
- Desktop app can take some getting used to
BEST VPN FOR FACEBOOK:NordVPN is our first choice. Impeccable speeds and works well with Facebook wherever it is blocked. Strong security features and allows up to 6 devices to be used simultaneously from one account. It includes a 30-day money-back guarantee, making it risk-free.
Read our full review of NordVPN.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
Surfshark is a great budget choice for anyone looking to unblock Facebook. This VPN has 3,200+ servers spread across 100 countries and provides good speeds. It’s capable of accessing all but the most stubborn platforms and, in fact, allows you to use services like Netflix and BBC iPlayer from anywhere in the world. There’s no connection limit, allowing you to protect all your devices simultaneously.
This VPN keeps your traffic safe from snoopers using 256-bit encryption, a kill switch, and protection against WebRTC, DNS, and IPv6 leaks. It can also block ads and malware automatically and bypass the strict internet restrictions in countries like China. Surfshark doesn’t log any data that could be used to identify you, but if you’re worried about privacy, you can sign up almost completely anonymously by paying in cryptocurrency. 24/7 support is available over email and live chat should you have any issues.
Surfshark provides apps for macOS, Windows, Linux, Android, and iOS devices. It also works with supported internet routers but must be configured manually,
- Excellent unblocking ability
- Wide network of global servers
- Connect as many devices as you like
- Strong security and privacy credentials
- 24/7 live chat support is available
- Occasional slow server
BEST BUDGET PROVIDER:Surfshark has strong security features and a no-logs policy to keep you safe online. It’s versatile, too, with excellent unblocking ability, unlimited connections, and fast speeds. A 30-day money-back guarantee is included.
Read our full review of Surfshark here.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
ExpressVPN is popular with online privacy enthusiasts because it seamlessly combines military-grade encryption protocols with a fast, efficient product. This makes unblocking Facebook and Facebook Messenger at school, work, or while abroad a very easy task. There’s a robust selection of servers to choose from – with over 3,000 servers spread across 94+ countries.
Encryption standards are hardy – the company leverages OpenVPN with 256-bit AES as default. An SHA-512 hashing algorithm identifies 4,096-bit DHE-RSA keys. In layman’s terms, these are designed to keep your data secure. Individual IP addresses are not recorded. Embedded within the product is a ‘network lock,’ which acts as a kill switch to temporarily block internet access if the VPN connection drops unexpectedly, thereby adding an additional layer of security.
A single subscription grants access to five devices simultaneously – making it a handy option to split the overall bill with friends. Apps for both Android and iOS are available, as well as desktop clients for Linux, Windows, and macOS.
- Exceptional speeds for downloading and streaming
- Comprehensive security and privacy features
- Unblocks a large range of geo-locked sites and services
- Operates a network of more than 3,000 servers spanning 94 countries
- 24/7 live customer support
- Priced a bit higher than rivals
- Power users may find advanced features to be limited
PRIVACY-FIRST VPN:ExpressVPN performs well when it comes to unblocking restricted content and sites. It has a vast server network that is optimized for fast connections. User-friendly apps for all operating systems. There’s a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Here’s our review of ExpressVPN.
Money-back guarantee: 45 DAYS
CyberGhost is a no-frills VPN service that’s designed to be beginner and user-friendly, so it might appeal to users who want a quick social media fix. The product isn’t equipped with a plethora of options, but the core standards of speed and encryption are more than adequate to access Facebook from anywhere.
CyberGhost has solid encryption standards. It uses 256-bit AES encryption on the OpenVPN protocol, which is considered robust. There are more than 9,000 servers spread across 90 countries, so unblocking Facebook from anywhere shouldn’t pose a challenge.
Allows simultaneous access to seven devices on a single plan and offers a generous 45-day money-back guarantee. The company supports both Android and iOS, and there’s native software for Windows, macOS, and Linux.
- Operates a network of more than 9,000 server locations in 90 countries
- Decent, reliable speeds
- Keeps no logs
- Use up to seven devices simultaneously
- Beginner-friendly option with easy-to-use apps
- Doesn’t work in China
- More suited to beginners than power users.
BEST FOR NOVICE USERS:CyberGhost has a simple set up and has no issues unblocking Facebook. Great privacy, zero logs, and DNS leak protection. Has a generous 45-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full review of CyberGhost.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
IPVanish checks all the boxes when it comes to an affordable, fast VPN equipped with rigid encryption standards. It’ll do its job quietly and efficiently with little to no interruption while you scroll your Facebook newsfeed.
The company is an example of a completely logless VPN. This means it’s almost impossible for your activity to be traced back to you because IPVanish simply refrains from storing any user data at all. As for encryption standards, IPVanish uses 256-bit encryption on the OpenVPN protocol by default, SHA512 authentication, and a DHE-RSA 2,048-bit key exchange with perfect forward secrecy. There’s an internet kill switch included, too – meaning web traffic will never slide back to a decrypted status even if the connection drops.
IPVanish has 2,000+ servers spread across 75 locations worldwide, and it allows unlimited simultaneous connections. Furthermore, there are apps for both Android and iOS, as well as desktop support for Windows and macOS. Many users find it an excellent option for Kodi because it allows them to download the Android APK directly to their device. The interface is also remote-control friendly for Kodi devices that lack a keyboard and mouse.
- Operates a network of more than 2,000 servers from 75+ locations around the globe
- Impressive 4K streaming speeds achieved during testing
- Strong encryption makes apps secure
- Works well with Kodi devices
- Doesn’t offer a cryptocurrency payment method
- Claims 24/7 support, but tickets can take one or two days
FAST AND RELIABLE:IPVanish has a good network of servers that achieve good speeds. Strong security and privacy features. It could do with having live customer support. 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full review of IPVanish.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
AtlasVPN is an excellent option for people looking to use Facebook from anywhere. The service is high-speed, which makes it perfect for streaming and gaming. With more than 750 servers in over 40 locations, you’ll be able to find a server no matter where you are. AtlasVPN uses strong 256-bit AES encryption to protect your information. The company also offers a strict no-logs policy, which means your data will never be stored or monitored.
Apps are available for both Android and iOS, and there is also a desktop client for Windows and macOS. It offers unlimited device connections, so you can use it on all your devices simultaneously. It also has a network kill switch, ensuring your data is never exposed if the VPN connection drops. Its built-in breach monitor alerts you if any of your apps are compromised so you can take action to protect your data.
Support is available 24/7 via live chat and email. You can also take advantage of the 30-day money-back guarantee to test out the service.
- Allows unlimited devices
- Quick enough for 4K streaming
- Beginner-friendly apps and 24/7 support
- No router or Linux support
- Canceling isn’t straightforward
STRONG SECURITY TOOLS:AtlasVPN has no connection limit, and it uses strong 256-bit AES encryption with 2048-bit key lengths. There’s also a DNS leak protection feature and a network kill switch. 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full AtlasVPN review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
Private Internet Access unblocks Facebook and allows you to access the social media site anywhere. PIA has a network of more than 10,000 servers in 80+ countries. You can connect to servers in the US, UK, Canada, Australia, and many other locations. The desktop client is available for Windows and macOS, and there are apps for Android and iOS.
It’s a highly respected provider with a strong focus on privacy and security. PIA is a logless VPN service, which means your information isn’t stored or monitored. All internet traffic is encrypted with 256-bit AES encryption and 2,048-bit RSA keys. DNS leak protection and an automatic kill switch are enabled by default.
A single subscription allows you to use unlimited devices simultaneously. PIA also accepts Bitcoin as payment, adding an extra anonymity layer. Try PIA risk-free for 30 days, thanks to the money-back guarantee.
- Decent speeds with the use of WireGuard
- Connect unlimited simultaneous devices
- Apps include a kill switch
- Struggles with some streaming services
- Based in a Five Eyes country
ADJUSTABLE ENCRYPTION:Private Internet Access unblocks Facebook easily with servers in over 80 locations. It has apps for most platforms, and you can try it risk-free with the 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full review of Private Internet Access.
Our Methodology: choosing the best VPNs for Facebook
Selecting the best VPN for Facebook might seem straightforward, but it’s actually quite tricky. Hundreds of providers are on the market, all claiming to be the best. To help you narrow down your choices, we’ve looked at the following factors:
- Compatibility/unblocking ability: Not all VPNs work with Facebook. We’ve tested dozens of them and can confirm that the ones on this list will let you access Facebook without any problems.
- Speed: A fast VPN is essential for accessing Facebook. Nobody likes a slow connection, which is why we speed-test all the VPNs we recommend to ensure a fast and smooth connection.
- Security: A good VPN will encrypt your traffic to prevent your ISP or government agencies from snooping. We only recommend VPNs that use military-grade encryption.
- Privacy: A VPN that doesn’t keep logs of your activities is important for protecting your privacy. We only recommend VPNs that have a strict no-logs policy.
- Server locations: The more server locations a VPN has, the better. This way, you can always find a fast server near you.
- Ease of use: You shouldn’t need to be a tech expert to be able to use a VPN. All the VPNs on this list have user-friendly apps for all major platforms.
- Pricing: We believe you shouldn’t have to pay a fortune for a good VPN. Each VPN we’ve recommended offers competitive pricing and comes with a money-back guarantee or free trial period.
How to unblock Facebook anywhere with a VPN
Once you’ve chosen a suitable VPN, unblocking Facebook couldn’t be simpler. Follow the steps below to set up your VPN and gain access to your social media wherever you are.
Here’s how to unblock Facebook with a VPN (from anywhere):
- Pick the VPN that’s best suited for you. We recommend NordVPN.
- Navigate through the options and select a plan.
- Download the companion apps to suit your devices.
- Open the VPN app, log in, and select a server outside your workplace or school, or in a country where Facebook is not restricted.
- Once the connection is established, open Facebook and use it like you normally would.
- If Facebook is still not working with your VPN, try clearing your browser’s cache and try again.
If you’re still having problems accessing Facebook, check out our VPN Common Problems Troubleshooting guide.
Unblocking Facebook with a free VPN
Over two billion users log in to Facebook at least once a month. Frightening statistics aside, some users may not want to splurge for a paid VPN, especially because they’re not forking over any cash to use Facebook itself.
But you should reconsider that line of thought. Free VPNs are vastly inferior to paid options. If you’re trying to unblock Facebook at your workplace or school, you’ll need to use a VPN that has robust encryption and doesn’t impose things like bandwidth throttling or data caps. The last thing you need is for your network administrator to find out that you’re accessing restricted sites – this scenario is far more plausible when you sign up for a random free VPN that you found online.
It’s also important to remember that free VPNs aren’t exactly free. They monetize by making you the product – inundating you with advertisements and, in some cases, inserting malware or tracking cookies in your browser to mine browsing data and sell it to third-party sites.
At Comparitech, we believe it’s in your best interest to stay clear of free VPNs when trying to access Facebook. Instead, opt for one of the reputable VPNs listed above and make use of their money-back guarantees to make sure you’re happy before committing long-term.
FaceBook Statistics 2023
From our research team, here are some up-to-date stats in 2023 for Facebook:
- Facebook had 2.989 billion monthly active users in April 2023.
- 43% of Facebook’s global users are female, and 57% are male.
- Facebook is the 3rd most visited website in the world.
- The median engagement rate on Facebook is 0.064%.
- More than 500 million people use Facebook Stories daily.
- The average revenue per Facebook user worldwide is $9.41.
- The largest Facebook audience in 2021 was men aged between 25 and 34, accounting for 19% of total potential reach.
Please note that these statistics are subject to change, and data is correct at the time of writing in late 2023.
Using Facebook with a VPN: FAQs
Should I use Facebook via a VPN?
It’s easy to dismiss Facebook as just another social media tool where users waste their time scrolling through pictures or watching cat videos. That negates the fact that many users depend on Facebook for their daily media consumption and to search for vital information on businesses, hospitals, restaurants, and cinemas.
Facebook Messenger is also a powerful tool for making free audio and video calls as well as staying in touch with friends and family. And some consider it a necessary tool to communicate with their family and friends.
If you need to use Facebook in a space or country where it is blocked (such as China), a VPN is the only way around the restrictions. We don’t think you should go crazy and spend your entire day on the social media site, but there’s nothing wrong with accessing it for a specific purpose.
If I use a VPN can I be hidden when on Facebook?
Here’s the thing: everything you do on Facebook is tied to your user account. This means that you can still be identified by your actions, even if a VPN is connected. Additionally, many websites use something called the Facebook Pixel to link your activities on other sites to your Facebook account for analytics purposes.
In short, a VPN won’t stop Facebook from tracking you and keeping tabs on what you get up to online. However, as they route your traffic through an encrypted tunnel, they can stop your employer, network admin, or government from seeing that you’re on Facebook.
If I use a mobile VPN can Facebook still track me?
The simple answer is that as long as you use Facebook, it can and will continue to track you. Whether you’re using a VPN to browse the site doesn’t matter since you’re still logged in to your Facebook account, which means everything you do can be traced back to your personal account. That said, a VPN can help hide your activities from snoopers, so at the very least, you’ll be able to use Facebook without worrying about anyone intercepting your messages.
Can Facebook detect when I use a VPN?
Yes, Facebook can detect when you’re using a VPN. However, It’s highly unlikely that they would take action against you, such as banning your account, for doing so.
It’s also unlikely that you’ll have any problems logging in or using Facebook while connected to a VPN. There is a small chance that your chosen server is blacklisted by the service (for instance, if it’s been used to harass someone in the past), but luckily, this is an easy issue to fix: just try a different server. If you’re struggling to access Facebook with a VPN, it’s best to ask your VPN provider for help; they may even have specific servers specially designed to bypass the platform’s VPN-detection measures.
What do I do if Facebook is blocked in my country?
Countries like China and North Korea block Facebook outright. Some other places, such as Dubai, Abu Dhabi, Saudi Arabia, and Qatar, stop users from accessing Facebook Messenger’s VoIP (voice and video chat) features.
If you’re looking for a solution to this problem, then follow the steps given above, connect through a VPN, and Facebook should work normally.
Facebook is censoring posts in my country. What do I do?
In some cases, Facebook has been accused of quietly acquiescing to government demands to block access to sensitive content. In others, it outright announces that it’s censoring posts, such as when it attempted to play hardball with the Australian government by blocking all Australian news outlets from posting.
We understand how frustrating it can be when you’re denied access to information and prevented from uncovering the truth. The best way to overcome this problem is to spoof your location via a VPN.
The next time you feel that your government, Facebook, or both are working together to restrict content, then we believe it’s time to sign up for a VPN. Follow the steps in the previous section to make it appear you’re accessing the social media site from a country outside your current location. That should do the trick.
is it illegal to use a VPN with Facebook?
Using a VPN to access Facebook is not illegal. However, it may be against the terms of service outlined in their Terms & Conditions. It is always best practice to follow the terms of service as outlined by Facebook and ensure that your activities comply with local laws.
Can I access Threads with the best VPNs for Facebook?
You can use the best VPNs for Facebook to access the likes of Threads, Instagram, and WhatsApp, all of which are owned by Meta. For the most part, Meta’s products and services don’t block VPNs so unlike with popular streaming services such as Netflix, you shouldn’t have too much difficulty accessing them regardless of your location.
What we should say is that while Facebook and Instagram are available in the vast majority of countries, Thread isn’t available in the European Union as yet. This is due to concerns over its data collection policies (the EU has stricter privacy laws regarding this).
To use Threads from any country, be sure to connect to a server in one of the 100 countries in which it’s currently available. This includes the US, UK, Canada, Australia, and Japan. Connecting to a server in one of these countries changes your IP address, allowing you to spoof your location and unblock and use Threads regardless of where you are.