Snapchat’s surging popularity has also been a bit of a downside. Many schools, colleges, and workplaces now block Snapchat to make sure students and employees concentrate on work, and entire countries like China, Iran, and parts of the Middle East restrict access completely. The only way to get around this filter is by installing a VPN for Snapchat.
Short for Virtual Private Network, a VPN connection masks your true location by encrypting all the traffic flowing to and from your device and tunneling it via an intermediary server. Network administrators will not be able to determine your browsing activity. Hence even if you’re logged on to your college or school wifi, using a VPN connection will help you unblock Snapchat by hiding your real IP address.
In this article, we’ll list the best VPNs for the job, but if you’re short on time and can’t get into the details, here’s a summary of our recommendations:
The best VPNs for Snapchat
- NordVPN: Is our top VPN for Snapchat. It leads the pack with speed and reliability. It runs a vast network of reliable servers that work great with Snapchat and can unblock geo-restricted content. This VPN also comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
- Surfshark: Budget choice for unblocking Snapchat and most sites and content. Strong online security and allows unlimited VPN connections. Impressive connection speeds and works with other social media apps.
- ExpressVPN: Has lightning-fast speeds and works well with Snapchat. Excels at unblocking popular streaming content. Goes to great lengths to ensure user privacy and security including 256-bit AES encryption.
- CyberGhost: Beginner-friendly VPN can hide your real Snapchat location and encrypt your Snapchat messages. An extensive server network and excellent security.
- IPVanish: Easy to use and has good speeds. A reliable option that allows unlimited connections and can unblock geo-blocked content, including Snapchat.
- PrivateVPN: A reliable Snapchat VPN that consistently bypasses Snapchat blocks. No-logs VPN with unlimited bandwidth and allows up to 10 simultaneous connections.
- Private Internet Access: Trusty network with lots of support to get you started. A large server network and solid unblocking ability.
WANT TO TRY THE TOP VPN RISK FREE?
NordVPN is offering a fully-featured risk-free 30-day trial if you sign up at this page. You can use the VPN rated #1 for Snapchat without restrictions for a month—perfect if you simply need access while on a short trip.
There are no hidden terms—just contact support within 30 days if you decide NordVPN isn't right for you and you'll get a full refund. Start your NordVPN trial here.
How to access Snapchat using a VPN
- Pick a VPN that’s best suited for you. (We recommend NordVPN)
- Navigate through the options and select a plan.
- Download the companion app for your phone, either Android or iOS
- Open the VPN app, log in, and select a server in a country where Snapchat is available. For example, a server in the US or the UK.
- Once the VPN connection is established, open the Snapchat app and use it like you normally would.
Best Snapchat VPNs: at a glance
We’ve compared the most important features of the top VPNs here. Prefer to read the in-depth reviews? Start with NordVPN – our #1 choice for Snapchat.
|Website||NordVPN.com||Surfshark.com||ExpressVPN.com||Cyberghost.com||IPVanish.com||PrivateVPN.com||Ranking for Snapchat||1||2||3||4||5||6||Streaming Services||Netflix|
|Devices Supported||Windows, MacOS, iOS, Android, Linux||Windows, MacOS, iOS, Android, Linux, Amazon Fire TV||Windows, MacOS, iOS, Android, Linux, Smart TVs, Routers||Windows, MacOS, Linux (command line), iOS, Android, Smart TVs Routers||Windows, MacOS, iOS, Android||Windows, MacOS, iOS, Android, Amazon Fire TV||Avg Speed (Mbps)||100+ Mbps||100+ Mbps||100+ Mbps||100+ Mbps||100+ Mbps||39 Mbps||Activity logs||None||None||No identifying data||No identifying data||No logs stored||None|
|Best deal (per month)||$3.19|
SAVE 61% + 3 months FREE
Get 2 Months FREE with a 2-year plan
SAVE: 49% on the annual plan
SAVE up to 84% on the 2 year plan + 3 months free
SAVE 74% on the 2 year plan
SAVE 85% on the three year plan
The best VPNs for Snapchat
To help you out, we’ve compiled a list of the best VPNs that work with Snapchat flawlessly. They’re ranked on the following factors:
- Speed and stability of service
- Fast connection speeds
- Large number of server locations
- Strong encryption parameters so your Snapchat location remains hidden
- Apps for Android and iOS
- Ease of use
You can read more about how we test and rank the VPNs we recommend in our methodology section below. For now, let’s take a look at the ones that made the cut.
Here’s our list of the best VPNs to help you access Snapchat at school, at work, or while abroad.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
NordVPN is our first choice for a Snapchat VPN. It has been in the business for over a decade, and its seamless product is the main reason for its longevity. This VPN offers the whole package: incredible internet speeds, reliable connections, ease of use, and strong encryption.
NordVPN understands the need for privacy and online security and therefore declines to store any customer data. There are no traffic or session logs of any kind. All internet traffic is encrypted via 256-bit AES and 2,048-bit DH keys. A single subscription grants access to six devices. An internet kill switch is also present.
Servers are optimized for speed, and there are more than 5,500 in 60 countries across the globe. Apps are available for Windows, Linux, MacOS, Android, and iOS.
- Extremely fast speeds
- Easy-to-use apps for Android and iOS devices
- Offers secure, encrypted connections at all times
- Vast server network can unblock most geo-restricted content, including Snapchat
- Operates over 5,500 servers in 60 countries
- Round-the-clock chat support
- Desktop app requires a bit of getting used to and may frustrate beginners
BEST VPN FOR SNAPCHAT:NordVPN is our top choice. Pegs the best connection speeds we’ve seen and is a real contender in all categories. Has strong security features and allows up to 6 devices to be used simultaneously from one account. Includes a 30-day money-back guarantee for a risk-free deal.
Read our full review of NordVPN.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
Surfshark is a low-cost, privacy-focused VPN that doesn’t log any user data. It’s excellent at unblocking popular sites, such as Snapchat and YouTube, as well as geo-restricted streaming services like Netflix.
Internet connections are secured by 256-bit encryption in conjunction with perfect forward secrecy. Features include a kill switch, protection against DNS, IPv6, and WebRTC leaks, automatic wifi protection, and split tunneling. NoBorders mode will help you out if you need to bypass government blocks, for example, in China.
Apps are available for Windows, MacOS, Linux, iOS, and Android. There’s no limit on the number of devices you can connect at a given time.
- Bypasses blocks with ease
- Lots of strong security features
- Use on unlimited devices
- Fast enough for uninterrupted streaming
- Fair pricing plans
- Fewer servers than some rivals
BEST BUDGET VPN:Surfshark has apps for all the major operating systems and doesn’t impose connection limits, so you can access Snapchat anytime, anywhere. Plans come with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full review of Surfshark here.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
ExpressVPN combines military-grade encryption protocols with a minimalistic design that works smoothly at all times. It consistently provides fast, stable connections.
With over 3,000 servers spread across 94 countries — including a ‘smart location’ option that’ll indicate what the service intuitively feels will be best suited for you — finding an adequate connection should not be a problem.
Encryption standards are equally resilient – ExpressVPN uses OpenVPN connections encrypted with 256-bit AES as default. 4,096-bit DHE-RSA keys are identified by a SHA-512 hashing algorithm. No user-identifying logs are kept, and there’s a kill switch in the desktop apps.
A single subscription allows for use on up to five devices simultaneously. Apps for Windows, Linux, MacOS, Android, and iOS are available.
- Consistent, speedy connections
- 3,000+ servers in 94 countries
- Hard to beat on online privacy and security
- Easy to use and set up with apps for Android and iOS devices
- Keeps no traffic logs of personal data
- Bit pricier than rivals
- Lack of advanced configuration options
SECURE AND PRIVATE:ExpressVPN is a fast and reliable VPN that unblocks all major chat and streaming services. Provides strong security and privacy and keeps no identifying logs. Plans include a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Here’s our review of ExpressVPN.
Money-back guarantee: 45 DAYS
CyberGhost is registered in Romania and says it doesn’t store any data. But it was recently acquired by an Israeli firm headquartered in the UK, so we’ll have to wait and see if the policy changes at all. It works great with Snapchat and other social media platforms like Instagram and Facebook.
However, its encryption standards are solid. There’s 256-bit AES encryption on the OpenVPN protocol, which is considered robust. And with approximately 9,000 servers in 90 countries, there’s more than enough choice when it comes to hiding your location.
Access to seven devices on a single plan. The provider supports both Android and iOS.
- Extensive server network is great at unblocking Snapchat wherever it is restricted
- Operates a network of more than 9,000 servers in 90 countries
- Decent, reliable speeds
- Android and iOS apps are easy to use
45-day money-back guarantee
- Doesn’t work in China
- Better suited to beginners than advanced users
9,000+ SERVERS:CyberGhost is great beginners' choice for accessing Snapchat from anywhere. Plenty of servers. Good on privacy. Streams HD video reliably. 45-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full review of CyberGhost.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
IPVanish is another fast, reliable, and easy-to-use VPN provider that incorporates sturdy encryption with a commitment to ensuring an impeccable user experience.
Your activity on IPVanish can never be traced back to you – the service keeps zero logs on customers so even its own employees won’t know who’s browsing the web and what they’re doing. There’s an internet kill switch included with your subscription – with the result that there’s no loose flow of data if the connection drops. You’ll remain secure.
Encryption standards are equally tight. The VPN provider uses 256-bit encryption on the OpenVPN protocol by default, SHA512 authentication, and a DHE-RSA 2,048-bit key exchange with perfect forward secrecy. That means that even if your account is compromised for some strange reason, it’s impossible for hackers to decrypt past session data and uncover browsing history.
There’s an option to choose between 850 servers spread across 60 countries, making this a great VPN for travel.
IPVanish allows unlimited devices to connect at one time, making it an even cheaper option than Express if you decide to share with friends. There are apps for both Android and iOS.
- Impressive speeds and reliable connections
- Apps work well on Android and iOS devices
- Handles multiple simultaneous connections well
- All the security and privacy features you need for most situations
- Doesn’t accept bitcoin
- Customer support is a little slow
UNLIMITED DEVICES:IPVanish is a great family choice as it allows you to connect all your devices. Good for Snapchat, strong security and privacy features. 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full review of IPVanish.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
PrivateVPN is a very strong unblocker of content, be it Snapchat or streaming services. Although it offers a smaller network of around 200 servers, these servers are located across more than 60 countries. As such, it’s always easy to find a server close to your location for a faster, more consistent connection. PrivateVPN offers unlimited bandwidth, so it’s ideal for streaming and torrenting.
You’ll be able to use Snapchat securely thanks to PrivateVPN’s security features which include 256-bit AES encryption, DNS leak protection, and a kill switch. PrivateVPN operates a strict no-logs policy and accepts Bitcoin, so it’s very much a VPN that respects your privacy. If you need any help, there’s live chat and email support and even free remote help and installation.
PrivateVPN provides apps for the following: Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, and Amazon Fire TV. While you can use it with Linux and compatible wifi routers, this does require manual setup on your part.
- Strong unblocker for bypassing blocks surrounding Snapchat
- Protects your privacy with its true no-logs policy
- Easy-to-use apps, as well as free remote help and installation
- Small number of servers (just over 200)
- Live chat isn’t available 24 hours a day
RELIABLE UNBLOCKER:PrivateVPN easily bypasses Snapchat blocks and even works with popular streaming services like Netflix. Unlimited bandwidth and up to 10 simultaneous connections allowed. No-logs policy. 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full PrivateVPN review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
Private Internet Access (PIA) may deceive you with its ungainly looks but it does its job very, very well. It scores high on efficiency and ease of use.
It’s also another VPN service that chooses not to retain customer information of any nature. Encryption standards are similarly impressive – there’s an option of using the OpenVPN protocol with 256-bit AES encryption, SHA256 authentication, and 4,096-bit RSA keys.
- Apps for both Android and iOS devices
- Allows unlimited servers
- Impressive security features and privacy protections
- App design is somewhat lacking
- Other providers in this list are more capable of unblocking more major streaming sites
- Streaming speeds can be inconsistent
UNLIMITED CONNECTIONS:Private Internet Access has great security. PIA stands tall among VPN providers for its many servers, rich security features, and great customer service. Works well with Snapchat, but speeds can be inconsistent for video streaming, torrenting and downloading. 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full review of Private Internet Access.
How we found the best VPNs for Snapchat: Our methodology
There are hundreds of VPNs on the market, both free and paid. This makes finding the best VPNs for Snapchat all the more challenging. Our methodology helps us narrow down the options and involves looking for the following in each VPN we recommend:
- Servers worldwide: Having access to servers worldwide allows you to access Snapchat and plenty of other geo-blocked websites and services. It also increases your chances of being able to find a fast server closer to your physical location. The VPNs we’ve covered offer thousands of servers across dozens of countries.
- Speed: Whether you’re using Snapchat, streaming Netflix, or torrenting large files, you’ll want a VPN that offers high-speed connections as well as unlimited bandwidth. The best VPNs for Snapchat tick both boxes. Indeed, our speed tests show that they’re among the fastest VPNs around, so you’re unlikely to encounter performance issues.
- Unblocking: Access to Snapchat may be restricted in your country or your school or office network. Of course, each VPN included in this post is able to bypass restrictions. However, we also tested each VPN against a wide range of other online content including popular streaming services such as Amazon Prime Video and Disney+.
- Security: While Snapchat encrypts Snaps (a picture or video sent through the app), text messages and group chat interactions are not. Many websites and services offer even less security, while security threats are ever-present regardless of your location. A quality VPN encrypts your data and protects you from leaks so you can stay safe online.
- Privacy: Depending on your country, your ISP may be keeping logs of your browsing data. This may then be shared with the government on request. To prevent this, look for a VPN that encrypts your data and operates a no-logs policy. We’ve looked at 140 VPN logging policies to find those that don’t keep any logs by which you can be identified.
- Ease of use: A VPN needn’t be complicated to use. Setup should only take a minute or two, while connecting to a server can be done in seconds. Our hands-on testing has helped us find the most beginner-friendly apps available. Better still, all of the best VPNs for Snapchat even include live chat and email support, available 24 hours a day.
- Value for money: The longer the VPN subscription you opt for, the more you can potentially save. However, you can get an even better deal thanks to our VPN discount coupons (available for all of the best VPNs for Snapchat). Keep in mind that each VPN also includes a money-back guarantee of at least 30 days, so you can try it risk-free.
- In conjunction with looking for all of the above, we test each VPN extensively as part of our VPN testing methodology. That way, we can verify for ourselves whether a service is of high quality or lacking in key areas such as server speed or security.
Free VPNs that can unblock Snapchat
The majority of Snapchat’s users are teenagers, which means they’re not exactly flush with cash to splurge on a paid VPN. It’s tempting to opt for a free service in this case.
But our recommendation is to invest in a VPN. That’s because free versions are inferior. They’ll throttle your bandwidth, offer very limited server choices (usually only one or two), enforce data caps, and could also make you wait in line if there’s network congestion.
Additionally, such services aren’t free in the proper use of the term. They’re monetizing somehow – after all, they’re companies that have overheads such as staff costs and server maintenance – with the most obvious product being yourself.
As a user, your browsing habits are a potential goldmine for pesky advertisers. Supposedly free VPN providers have been caught inserting tracking cookies in their users’ devices and mining that data to sell to the highest bidder. That’s completely unethical.
Even if this doesn’t happen to you, you’re definitely going to get a ton of invasive advertisements that’ll induce a migraine. Best to avoid.
Unblocking Snapchat with a VPN: FAQs
Should I use Snapchat on a VPN?
Consider your use case. Even if your school or college doesn’t allow the app on its network, it’s important to understand that many parents and caregivers view it as an essential communication tool to stay in touch. The app’s core user base doesn’t comprise of independent adults – they’re younger and most will have a guardian watching over their activity.
When an institution blocks an essential app like this, parents need a workaround. The easiest recourse is to use a VPN – you’re not breaking any laws or engaging in any illegal activity if you’d just like to check up on the safety and well-being of your child.
We don’t, however, condone the use of Snapchat for anything illegal which includes things like revenge porn or sharing compromising pictures and videos with consent.
Just be careful and prudent. A VPN will mask your location and encrypt internet traffic – which means your network administrator will not be able to figure out that you’re using the app – but a teacher might physically observe the phone in your hands and get wind of things. Don’t use it while in class and definitely try to refrain if the penalties are strict.
How do I use Snapchat at Work or School?
1. Settle on a service
We’ve offered you what we feel are the best options for unblocking Snapchat but the end decision is yours. Take a look at the pricing plans as well as servers in the country you’re most likely to connect from. If you want to explore further, then we recommend you read through the full reviews (they’re at the bottom of each recommendation).
Once you’ve made up your mind, just click on one of the links, register an account, and sign up.
2. Download software
After you’ve signed up and paid, you’ll get a confirmation email from the VPN service of choice. Included in the email will, most likely, be links to relevant apps (either iOS or Android). Click on the one that’s relevant to your device, download the software, and enter your login details.
Once that’s done, clear the cookies in your browser to remove any old location identifiers and restart your phone.
3. Open the VPN app
Once your phone has rebooted, click on your VPN provider’s app. Browse through the server locations and try to select a country/location that’s not too far from you geographically. You shouldn’t face any problems establishing a solid connection.
4. Use Snapchat normally
Wait a few seconds for your VPN to latch on to the server of choice. When it does so successfully, it’ll send you a notification that you’re good to go. This means Snapchat (and all the other apps on your phone) are now no longer subject to the browsing restrictions put in place by your current network. You can enjoy a premium internet experience.
Can I connect to Snapchat from any country?
While Snapchat is available in most countries, it’s blocked in a select few such as China. If you’re traveling to a country in which Snapchat is censored, you can use a VPN to unblock it. This involves connecting to a server in any country in which Snapchat is freely available (such as the US or UK, for example). Note that you may only be able to do this if Snapchat is already installed on your device as you may not be able to download it from some countries.
Can someone track your IP address on Snapchat?
The IP addresses of Snapchat users are hidden from public view. Only some Snapchat employees can see the IP addresses of users. The only way someone may be able to see your IP address via Snapchat is if they send you a link which, if clicked on, sends you to an IP logger. However, if you avoid any links (and use a VPN to change your IP address and spoof your location), you’ll be able to fully prevent IP tracking on Snapchat.
Is using a VPN with Snapchat illegal?
No, it’s not illegal to use a VPN with Snapchat. At worst, using a VPN to access Snapchat from a country in which it isn’t available may go against the company’s terms and conditions. However, even this is highly unlikely to result in any action (such as locking an account or banning a user).
Will a free VPN work with Snapchat?
A free VPN is unlikely to work with Snapchat. Countries are typically more limited with free VPNs, too, meaning you’ll struggle to access Snapchat in some locations. Free VPNs often provide lower-grade encryption than the 256-bit encryption offered by premium VPNs like NordVPN. Additionally, free VPNs generally lack features designed the hide VPN activity from the services you are attempting to access, so the Snapchat servers are more likely to detect VPN usage and block your connection.
Can I use a VPN to change my location on Snapchat?
You can use a VPN to change your location on Snapchat. What’s more, it’s legal to do so. You may wish to change your Snapchat location with a VPN in order to enjoy greater security and privacy while using the app. However, changing your location can also be useful if you’re in a country in which Snapchat is blocked (such as China). Whatever the case, you need only connect to a server in a different country to change your IP address and location on Snapchat.