If Reddit is banned at your workplace, school, college, or in your country, a VPN (Virtual Private Network) can help beat the block. We have taken a close look at the best VPNs for Reddit, considering connection speed, privacy, security, and unblocking ability.
Note: This article covers how to access Reddit where it is blocked. We have a separate article on the best Reddit VPNs based on those receiving the most positive comments from Redditors.
The safest and most secure way to overcome a Reddit ban in your country or workplace is via a VPN. It’s reliable software that’s designed to mask your identity. This is done by encrypting web traffic flowing to and from your device and routing it via a server outside your current location. VPNs make it very difficult to uncover your identity, location, or the websites you visit.
We get into some detail on each of the VPNs we have chosen below, but in case you only have time for a quick summary, below is our list of the best VPNs to unblock Reddit.
Best VPNs to unblock Reddit:
- NordVPN Our top VPN for unblocking Reddit. Has thousands of fast and secure servers dotted around the globe that can unblock just about anything.
- Surfshark The best budget VPN for unblocking Reddit. User-friendly apps and unlimited simultaneous connections.
- ExpressVPN Has servers in over 90 countries, so great for getting around Reddit bans. Fast and secure apps. Works in China.
- CyberGhost Great value service with easy-to-use apps that are great for beginners. Server speeds are impressive.
- IPVanish Apps are remote-friendly and great for using with Kodi devices. Great speeds and security.
- VyprVPN Fast, secure, and can unblock most sites and services, including Reddit. Is a little pricey.
WANT TO TRY THE TOP VPN RISK FREE?
There are no hidden terms - just contact support within 30 days if you decide NordVPN isn't right for you and you'll get a full refund. Start your NordVPN trial here.
How do I access Reddit?
Don’t worry if you’ve never used a VPN before, it’s easy. Simply follow our step-by-step guide to get started.
Here’s how to unblock Reddit with a VPN:
- Read through our list of recommended VPNs and decide on the service and plan that works for you. We recommend NordVPN for Reddit.
- Register your personal details and add a payment method
- Download the VPN apps for your PC/Macbook or smartphone
- Delete your browser cache and cookies so that old location identifiers are removed
- Restart the device
- Login to the VPN app and select a server in Europe or North America – no countries in these regions have restrictions in accessing Reddit
- Wait for a connection to be established. Once that’s done it’ll usually be indicated by a green icon in the taskbar or on the top of your smartphone screen
- Open your preferred web browser (Chrome, Internet Explorer, Firefox, Opera, UC Web) and browse Reddit like you normally would
The best VPNs for Unblocking Reddit
Our ranking of the best VPNs for Reddit is ascertained on the following factors:
- Reliable speeds and encryption standards
- Large server network in the US and Europe
- Unlocks geo-restricted content
- Apps for Android, iOS, Windows, and macOS
- Number of simultaneous connections
We explain our testing methodology further later in this article.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
NordVPN is a solid service that’s been in business since 2012. It is our top choice VPN to unblock Reddit because of its worldwide coverage and best-in-class security features. It caters to both beginners and power users because it offers several customizable options and servers for different purposes. It’s also one of only three VPNs on this list that works in China.
It’s another VPN service that doesn’t store any data. This means there’s no information related to browsing habits, timestamps, or choice of servers. The policy has helped the company evade official requests to obtain customer data. In the past, nosy government agencies have ordered Nord to supply it with customer information, but there simply isn’t anything stored on its servers. In one case, physical servers were also confiscated, but nothing incriminating was found.
The company operates over a thousand servers in 56+ countries – with options to select specific ones based on things like stringent privacy, video streaming, anonymity, or dedicated IP. It also works with several online streaming services such as Netflix, Hulu, and BBC iPlayer without any problems. One account allows for a maximum of six simultaneous connections.
Encryption standards are top-tier. NordVPN uses the 256-bit AES protocol encryption standard by default coupled with 2,048-bit SSL keys. DNS leak protection is also enabled.
There is support for Windows, macOS, iOS, and Android.
- Operates thousands of use-specific servers in over 56 countries
- Top-tier encryption standards with DNS leak protection
- Easily unblocks a wide range of geo-locked sites
- Apps available for most major platforms
- Works in China
- Cumbersome desktop app may cause issues for novice users
- Can only choose to connect to a location, not a server
BEST REDDIT VPN:NordVPN is our #1 choice. A great all-rounder that works well with Reddit. Strong security features and allows up to 6 devices to be used simultaneously from one account. Includes 30-day money-back guarantee.
Here’s our full review of NordVPN.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
Surfshark is a great budget VPN because of its really affordable annual plans that cost up to 60% less than the monthly options. Despite an attractive price, Surfshark has all of the top security tools that you would expect from any VPN.
256-bit AES encryption, private DNS, and secure VPN protocols are all included as standard. This means that your browsing activity, IP address, and location remain anonymous throughout. This is further enforced with the strict no-logs policy.
Accessing Reddit won’t be an issue, as Surfshark has thousands of servers across over 90 countries. These include The USA and the UK, where there are absolutely no restrictions on Reddit. There is a user-friendly app available on Windows, macOS, Linux, IOS, and Android, and the one-click connection will have you protected in just a couple of seconds. Unlike many others, Surfshark also supports an unlimited number of simultaneous connections, so you will only ever need one account.
- Unblocks Reddit with ease
- Affordable annual plans
- Unlimited simultaneous connections
- High levels of security and privacy
- Easy to use and perfect for beginners
- Slow P2P servers
BEST BUDGET VPN FOR REDDIT:Surfshark is great value. It has fantastic security and privacy features at an affordable price. One subscription allows unlimited device connections. Try it risk-free with the 30-day money-back guarantee.
Here’s our full review of Surfshark.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
ExpressVPN is a popular VPN because it offers a reliable service that’s fast, sturdy, and doesn’t compromise on encryption standards either.
There are over 1,500 servers to choose from all over the world including a robust selection in Europe and North America. That means accessing Reddit shouldn’t be a concern whatsoever.
People trying to log on to Reddit understand they’re circumventing restrictions placed by their workplace, school, or country so privacy and anonymity have to rank as critical factors. ExpressVPN does well on this front as it has a stated policy of not storing any user logs. Encryption standards should also ease concerns. ExpressVPN uses 256-bit AES-CBC protocols as well as HMAC authentication and perfect forward secrecy. These are some of the most stringent protocols out there today. There’s also an internet kill switch included, which the company refers to as a ‘network lock’. This feature will freeze all web traffic if the connection drops, keeping it secure.
There are apps for Android and iOS as well as desktop clients for Windows, macOS, and Linux. One subscription allows for three simultaneous devices.
- Plenty of servers in Europe and North America – ideal for accessing Reddit
- Optimized for high-speed connections
- Best in class security and privacy
- An easy-to-use app that installs with a wizard
- Works with a variety of platforms, including Netflix
- Works in China
- Slightly pricier than other services
FAST VPN FOR REDDIT:ExpressVPN a reliable choice. Great for securely accessing Reddit. Top privacy and security features and they keep no logs. Try it risk-free with the 30-day money-back guarantee.
Here’s our in-depth review of ExpressVPN.
Money-back guarantee: 45 DAYS
CyberGhost is a great choice for beginner users that don’t want an expensive VPN. There aren’t a ton of customizable options, but the service delivers where it matters the most.
The company headquarters are in Romania which means it isn’t subjected to any mandatory data retention laws. It also has a stated policy of not logging any user data.
Server locations are adequate and increasing day by day. Currently, there are over 7,000 VPN servers across 90+ countries. The service works with Netflix, BBC iPlayer, and more.
CyberGhost’s encryption standards are considered to be top-tier. Specifically, the service uses 256-bit AES encryption on the OpenVPN protocol by default along with 2,048-bit RSA keys and MD5 HMAC authentication. An internet kill switch is also included.
Apps are available for both Android and iOS, as well as desktop support for Windows and macOS. A maximum of five devices can connect simultaneously.
- Low-cost option with beginner-friendly apps
- Some of the fastest servers we’ve tested
- Kill switch on all apps and keeps no logs
- Plenty of servers in Europe and North America
- Can struggle with unblocking some streaming sites
- Doesn’t work in China
BEGINNERS' CHOICE:CyberGhost is easy to use. Fast and reliable connections with a good range of servers. Great privacy with zero logs and DNS leak protection. Can’t match rivals with some popular streaming platforms. There is a 45-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full review of CyberGhost.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
IPVanish checks all the boxes when it comes to a speedy VPN that won’t compromise your privacy. It’s known as a completely no-logs service – meaning the company retains no data except for when an account is registered for the first time.
IPVanish uses 256-bit encryption on the OpenVPN protocol by default, SHA512 authentication, and a DHE-RSA 2,048-bit key exchange with perfect forward secrecy. This means that even in the unlikely scenario of an intrusive entity storming its way into your account, it would be impossible to decrypt past session data to figure out your web history.
There is a varied list of servers – a total of over 1,500 spread across 75+ countries including a large choice in Europe and North America (where Reddit is freely accessible). An internet kill switch is included by default – adding an additional layer of security.
IPVanish is also an excellent choice if you’re looking to unblock BBC iPlayer.
There are apps for both iOS and Android as well as desktop support for Windows and macOS. Five devices can connect to one account which is definitely generous and makes it a good option to split the bill with friends.
IPVanish is popular with Kodi users because it allows them to download the Android APK directly to their device. The interface is also remote control friendly for Kodi devices that lack a keyboard and mouse.
- A no-logs policy that won’t compromise your privacy
- Large choice of servers from the EU and North America
- Impressive speeds
- Use up to ten devices simultaneously
- Doesn’t allow for anonymous registration
- No live customer support
- Doesn’t work in China
FAST AND RELIABLE:IPVanish has a large server network. An uncongested network achieves good speeds. Strong security and privacy features. Could do with having live customer support. A 7-day money-back guarantee is included.
Read our full review of IPVanish.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
The company records “the user’s source IP address, the VyprVPN IP address used by the user, connection start and stop time, and a total number of bytes used.”
But it does state that all data is stored only for a period of 30 days and is used only for troubleshooting purposes. The content of web traffic is not logged under any circumstances.
The provider’s tech is also world-class. For example, VyprVPN owns and manages entire data centers – instead of other services that deploy a combination of renting and outsourcing server management to 3rd-party operators. This means it’s in control of all the traffic flowing through its servers.
Encryption standards are excellent – it uses the OpenVPN protocol, 256-bit AES encryption, 2,048-bit RSA keys without perfect forward secrecy, and SHA256 authentication. An internet kill switch is included with all packages.
For an extra fee, users can also avail the Chameleon ™ protocol, which scrambles OpenVPN metadata so deep packet inspection cannot recognize it. This further obfuscates your connection, keeping it hidden from nosy ISPs.
There are over 700 servers across the world, including hundreds in Europe and North America. Apps are available for both Android and iOS as well as desktop support for Windows and macOS. One account allows for five devices to be connected simultaneously.
- Owns and manages the entire network of servers
- High-grade encryption by default
- Operates hundreds of servers across the EU and the US
- Maintains a data retention policy
- Could have more options for advanced configuration
- Not the cheapest provider on this list
EASY TO USE APP:VyprVPN is user friendly. Works well with Reddit and most popular blocked services. Fast and secure but a bit pricey. 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full review of VyprVPN.
Methodology: How we find the best Reddit VPNs
There are dozens of VPNs on the market and they are not all created equally. Some lack important privacy and security features. Others have outdated apps or encryption levels that make the VPN unsuitable for bypassing websites blocks in countries where Reddit is restricted.
To help consumers pick VPNs that offer high levels of reliability, fast speeds, and outstanding security, we use a scientific VPN testing methodology. During our tests, we check the VPN apps for leaks, and we check under the hood to ensure it can reliably provide data security for its users.
We also check that the VPN works to access popular international services, whether that be social media sites like Facebook, streaming platforms like Netflix, or forums like Reddit. For added transparency, we have included some of the important features we looked for when recommending Reddit VPNs below:
- Unblocking ability: Not every VPN has the same level of unblocking ability. We run tests to make sure that each recommended VPN works seamlessly with Reddit, wherever you are in the world.
- Safety and security: Your privacy is of the utmost importance and your VPN should be packed with security features to protect your data. We look for things like strong encryption, a no-logs policy, and a network kill switch.
- Devices: You probably want to be able to access Reddit on all of your devices, at home or on the go. We make sure that a VPN works wherever you need it, including on Windows, Mac, Android, and iOS.
- Value for money: A VPN should be reasonably priced and users should get plenty for their money. We look at subscription costs and what’s included to decide whether or not a VPN is good value.
- Strong security features: We only recommend VPNs that have advanced apps for all platforms with strong AES encryption, a kill-switch, DSN leak protection, obfuscation, malware filtering, and other advanced features that make the VPN more versatile.
VPNs you may want to avoid
One of the important factors when choosing a VPN – whether free or paid – is an implicit understanding that your privacy and anonymity are protected at all costs. All the VPNs mentioned in our recommended list have stuck to these principles, but there are a few others that aren’t as trustworthy. We believe you should stay away from them.
Here are some examples:
Israel-based Hola once boasted a sizable user base of almost 50 million but it wasn’t able to stick to best practices when it comes to user data. Shockingly, it once leveraged its users by turning them into a massive botnet. In layman’s terms, this meant that a part of each user’s bandwidth was scuppered for attacks on other websites and distributing copyrighted content. Although this happened some time ago, it’s still recommended that you avoid HolaVPN due to its past history with user data.
Despite advertising a strict no-logs policy, it’s not entirely true. PureVPN provided browsing activity logs for one of its users to assist with an FBI investigation. Although we do not condone illegal activity, we cannot recommend a VPN that goes back on its promises. Although this happened many years ago, it’s a huge red flag and not something that should be easily forgotten.
Reddit VPN FAQ
Will free Reddit VPNs for do the job?
It’s tempting to opt for a free VPN service for Reddit because they’re heavily advertised on the internet and don’t ordinarily require a credit card to sign up. But there’s definitely no such thing as a free lunch.
Many supposedly ‘free’ services have been caught tracking users’ data and selling it to invasive third-party advertisers. That’s not a scenario you would like to be involved in.
Even if free VPNs don’t steal your data, they won’t offer the same kind of user experience that paid options will. There will be a fairly limited selection of servers (usually only one or two), download caps, and bandwidth throttling. Encryption standards will be weak so your data could be at risk.
Our recommendation is to stay safe on the internet and avoid such services. A few dollars each month will ensure you avoid stressful situations in the future.
Which countries block Reddit?
Here’s a list of countries that have been known to block access to Reddit, known as the ‘front page of the internet’. In Russia and Indonesia, bans have been temporary but other countries have stymied access completely.
- North Korea
Many local organizations such as educational institutions and workplaces also block Reddit on their servers. In these cases, the ban isn’t due to a government directive but more to ensure productivity at the workplace and curtail excessive use of bandwidth. That’s because the site can be used to discover free sport live streams and torrent files.
What else can I do with a VPN?
This article is centered around specifically unblocking Reddit, but VPNs offer a wealth of other options too.
By logging into a VPN, you’re now masking your identity to all sites, not just Reddit. So, for example, if you are connected to a server in the US then every website you visit will assume you’re physically located there. This means services like Vudu, SlingTV, and ESPN will also open their doors to you, and is a great way for travelers to access their usual services abroad.
Why is Reddit blocked in schools?
The main reason for Reddit being blocked in school is the distraction it can cause. It’s easy to get sucked into a thread, and schools fear students spending more time browsing Reddit than doing schoolwork.
Distraction aside, Reddit also has a lot of NSFW (Not Suitable for Work) content. This content is often not suitable for those under the age of 18 and is also likely to break school browsing policies.
Will these VPNs let me access Reddit on work or college WiFi?
Yes, each of the VPNs on this list will provide you access to Reddit, even when on your work or college WiFi network. Simply hit connect and your identity and browsing activity becomes completely anonymous.
VPNs are packed with advanced security features that can protect you on public or open WiFi. This means that you don’t have to worry about data leaks.
Why is Reddit banned in Indonesia?
Reddit is banned in Indonesia because of pornographic content. Many subreddits include pornographic imagery, which is illegal in Indonesia. Reddit refused to place any content filters onsite for Indonesian visitors, and so the Government opted to ban the site entirely.