Vudu is an online media streaming company similar to Netflix. Unlike Netflix, however, Vudu isn’t available to people all around the world. The VoD service can only be streamed in the US and Mexico. To watch Vudu on vacation you’ll need an IP address in one of those two countries. We reveal exactly how anybody can use a Virtual Private Network (VPN) to get a US or Mexican IP address to stream Vudu from abroad.
Short for Virtual Private Network, a VPN encrypts all the traffic flowing to and from your device and tunnels it via a server of your choice. This makes it seem that you’re accessing the web from a remote location, which can help you regain access to your usual services as you travel. A VPN also renders it impossible for ISPs, hackers, and surveillance agencies to monitor your internet behavior.
If you don’t have the time to read the rest of this article, here’s a round-up of the best VPNs that work with Vudu:
- NordVPN: Our #1 pick. Huge server network that is able to access almost any streaming service, including Vudu. Doesn’t compromise on security and privacy features. Includes a 30-day money-back guarantee.
- Surfshark: Excellent budget option. Strong security and privacy protections. Solid speeds. No connection limits. Fast for accessing international streams.
- ExpressVPN: Fast servers around the globe assure great quality streams. Able to access Vudu and most other streaming sites from almost anywhere. Best in class privacy and security features.
- CyberGhost: Low-cost service with some of the fastest streaming speeds we have tested. Easy-to-use apps are great for beginners.
- IPVanish: Prefered by Kodi and Fire TV Stick users. Speeds are great for watching Vudu, but can struggle with some other platforms.
- VyprVPN: Unblocks Vudu and plenty of other streaming content at outstanding speeds for HD streaming, but a bit pricey.
- Hotspot Shield: Fast speeds and servers in both the US and Mexico to stream Vudu. Easy to use and reliable.
WANT TO TRY THE TOP VPN FOR VUDU RISK FREE?
NordVPN is offering a fully-featured risk-free 30-day trial if you sign up at this page. You can use the VPN rated #1 for Vudu without limits or restrictions for a month—great if you want to watch shows abroad.
There are no hidden terms—just contact support within 30 days if you decide NordVPN isn't right for you and you'll get a full refund. Start your NordVPN trial here.
Choosing the best VPN for Vudu
Below, we’ll take you through our list of the best VPNs that work with Vudu flawlessly. They’re ranked using the following factors:
- Speed and stability of service
- Large number of server locations in the US and Mexico
- Strong encryption standards
- Ability to unblock restricted content
- Apps for Android and iOS
- Ease of use
6 Best VPNs to unblock Vudu abroad
Here is our list of the best VPNs you can use to watch Vudu from abroad. The reviews will help you to decide on the best VPN for you. Once you’ve made your choice, simply follow the instructions above and you’ll be watching your favorite Vudu movies and content in no time.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
NordVPN has been around for over 10 years and it remains a popular choice for consumers because of its solid service and quick speed. It’s a VPN provider that has a true zero-logs policy—there’s no logging of information related to user sessions, traffic, or timestamps.
NordVPN has received requests for information in the past but the policy meant that it wasn’t able to hand anything over. Servers were also confiscated in one instance but there wasn’t anything on them that would be able to identify users.
The company operates 5,000+ servers in 60 countries, with around 1,800 of these located in the United States and Mexico. Those servers are listed according to their purpose— some are specifically designed for stricter encryption, safe torrenting, or double VPN.
Nord works to access not only Vudu, but also Netflix, Hulu, and BBC iPlayer. Encryption standards are military-grade AES-256, and DNS leak protection is enabled by default. Apps are available for both Android and iOS as well as desktop support for Linux, Windows, and MacOS.
- Fast enough speeds to stream HD content without interruptions
- 1,800 servers in the US and Mexico
- Strong encryption and no logs make for top security and privacy
- Easy-to-use apps for all major platforms
- 24/7 live chat support available
- Unable to select which server you want to connect to, only the server locations can be specified in the apps
BEST VPN TO WATCH VUDU ABROAD:NordVPN is our top choice. A fast and reliable option which works well with Vudu. Great record on digital security. Includes a risk-free 30-day money-back guarantee.
Here’s our review of NordVPN.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
Surfshark is an affordable yet versatile VPN with more than 3,200 servers in 60+ countries around the world. This includes servers in the US and Mexico that work to stream Vudu and other popular streaming platforms like Claro Video and Hulu. Plus, its NoBorders mode, will help you to use services like Netflix and Amazon Prime Video without any issues.
This service doesn’t keep any logs at all and offers a wide variety of security options. These include 256-bit AES encryption, an internet kill switch, and protection against IPv6, DNS, and WebRTC leaks. It also includes malware protection and ad blocking.
Surfshark has apps for iOS, Android, MacOS, Windows, and Linux devices. However, it can also be manually installed on supported routers. You can test it yourself with its 30-day money back guarantee.
- Generally fast enough for uninterrupted streaming
- Impressive security and privacy offering
- Great at unblocking streaming services from abroad
- No connection limits
- Some slow speeds
BEST BUDGET VPN:Surfshark is an inexpensive VPN that punches well above its weight. Works well with Vudu and similar services. Boasts decent speeds, strong security features, and a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read the full Surfshark review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
ExpressVPN is an excellent choice because of its customer-first approach, rapid speed, and a large network of servers. The company operates over 3,000 servers spread across 94 countries with quick and efficient connections to all and sundry. There are over 18 server locations in the US and one in Mexico, perfect for streaming Vudu and other services.
The company is headquartered in the British Virgin Islands—which means it’s not subject to any mandatory data retention laws. And ExpressVPN does not store any traffic logs. It only keeps aggregated information such as the date (not time) of internet connection, choice of server location, and total bandwidth used.
You can sign up via a burner email account and pay through Bitcoin—adding additional layers of privacy and anonymity. ExpressVPN utilizes 256-bit AES-CBC as its encryption standard as well as both HMAC authentication and perfect forward secrecy. There’s also an internet kill switch.
Other than Vudu, Express is also able to securely access content on Netflix with ease. It’s similarly compatible with both Hulu and HBO Max. There are apps for both Android and iOS which means it’s possible to download the companion Vudu app and stream video directly on your phone. Desktop support for Windows, Linux, and MacOS is also included.
- Server speeds are great for HD streaming and fast downloads
- Operates servers in dozens US and Mexican cities, can easily unblock most streaming sites from abroad
- Top-notch encryption standards
- Great capabilities for streaming
- Slightly more expensive than some of its competitors
- Doesn’t offer much control over advanced features
HIGH SPEED CONNECTIONS:ExpressVPN is a speedy, reliable option. Sets the standard for streaming. Top privacy features and keeps no logs. A 30-day money-back guarantee is included.
Here’s our in-depth review of ExpressVPN.
Money-back guarantee: 45 DAYS
CyberGhost maintains that it doesn’t log user behavior and browsing habits, so that should ease concerns about privacy and anonymity. It was, however, recently acquired by an Israeli firm registered in the UK, so we’ll have to wait and see if the policy changes.
There are more than 7,000 servers spread across the world, 1,300+ of which are in the United States, so accessing Vudu content shouldn’t be an issue. The company also operates 50 servers in Mexico.
Apps are available for both Android and iOS as well as desktop support for Windows, Linux, and MacOS. There are even special servers designed to provide secure access to major streaming platforms.
Encryption standards are solid—CyberGhost Pro uses 256-bit AES encryption on the OpenVPN protocol by default along with 2,048-bit RSA keys and MD5 HMAC authentication. There’s also an internet kill switch included, which means web traffic will be halted if the connection drops unexpectedly.
- Our tests revealed above average HD streaming speeds
- Operates over 1,300 servers in various cities within the US and Mexico
- Beginners find their apps easy to set up and use.
- Few customizable options
GREAT FOR STREAMING:CyberGhost provides secure access to lots of geo-restricted content and its easy-to-use apps are ideal for beginners. Plans come with a 45-day money-back guarantee.
Read our review of CyberGhost.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
IPVanish is headquartered in the US but your personal data is not at risk because it simply stores zero user information. The only time some data is retained is when an account is registered for the first time. After that, you don’t have to worry. Notably, users are free to connect as many devices as they like simultaneously.
It’s also a pretty robust choice if you’re looking for video streams and other media content. Servers are optimized for speed, stability, and security—and there are more than1,900 of them spread across 50+ countries, including over 650 in the US and Mexico. There’s a multitude of options to unlock Vudu.
Encryption standards are solid, too. It uses 256-bit encryption on the OpenVPN protocol by default, SHA512 authentication, and a DHE-RSA 2,048-bit key exchange with perfect forward secrecy. This means that even if your account is compromised, it’ll be impossible for hackers to decrypt past session data and figure out what you’ve been up to on the web.
The additional security of an internet kill switch is handy to have when accessing geo-restricted content.IPVanish delivers on this front too with the option available when you sign up.
There are apps for both iOS and Android as well as desktop support for Windows and MacOS. IPVanish is a good VPN choice for Fire Stick users too as it is easy to install.
- Over 650 US and Mexican servers
- Connections, communications, and traffic remain encrypted and private at all times
- Works well with Kodi Devices that require an iPhone or iPad VPN
- Struggles with some streaming services
FAST AND SECURE:IPVanish gives you solid security in a speedy package. No connection limit. It offers a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full review of IPVanish.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
VyprVPN has a no logs policy and is based in Switzerland, a location that is strong in terms of privacy. The service is a popular choice in China because it’s able to break through the Great Firewall. That’s no small achievement because it’s literally pitted against thousands of government-appointed engineers working around the clock to block sites. Many consider it to be in the top-tier of VPN services.
The company owns and manages entire data centers—as opposed to renting from third-party providers. This means it’s in total control of the traffic flowing through its servers, optimizing speed and stability of the connection. All connections are encrypted by the OpenVPN protocol, 256-bit AES encryption, 2,048-bit RSA keys without perfect forward secrecy, and SHA256 authentication.
VyprVPN includes an internet kill switch by default which means internet traffic will be halted temporarily if the connection drops. This VPN also offers its own Chameleon™ protocol, which scrambles OpenVPN metadata to provide additional privacy.
VyprVPN can securely access Netflix, Hulu, and BBC iPlayer. There are over 700 servers spread across the globe. The company says there are eight server locations in the US and one in Mexico. Those servers work to access Vudu. Apps are available for both Android and iOS as well as desktop support for Windows and MacOS.
- Works with Vudu and plenty of other streaming sites
- Fast speeds are perfect for streaming
- Military grade encryption and logs no identifiable information
- Other VPNs have more options for advanced configuration
- Cheaper providers higher on the list
- No cryptocurrency payment options
EASY TO USE:VyprVPN is user friendly. A solid choice for unblocking Vudu. Stores no logs, offers great security and unblocks most streaming services. More pricey than some. Has a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Click here to read our full review of VyprVPN.
Money-back guarantee: 45 DAYS
Editor’s Note: Hotspot Shield is owned by Pango, Comparitech’s parent company.
Hotspot Shield is a service that we often recommend for streaming. The VPN has servers in 80+ countries, including the US and Mexico to access services like Vudu. Plus, this VPN is one of the few that works with Netflix US, BBC iPlayer, Hulu, and many other popular services.
The VPN is fast for streaming in HD, gaming, torrenting, and videoconferencing thanks to its proprietary VPN protocol. It is also extremely secure thanks to the option to connect using the trusted OpenVPN protocol and its robust implementation of AES encryption.
A kill-switch is available on both the mobile and desktop apps, and the VPN has a no usage logs policy. Despite being based in the US, this service can’t reveal what you do online as all identifiable data is deleted once you disconnect.
This VPN has everything that the average user needs to gain privacy and security at home and on public wi-fi. You can take it for a test drive by using its generous 45-day money back guarantee.
- Excellent speeds
- Servers in 80+ countries, including the US and Mexico
- Easy to use
- No usage logs
- Apps for all platforms
- Based in the US
- Some connection logs
FAST VPN:Hotspot Shield is good for streaming thanks to its Catapult Hydra protocol. Servers in the US and Mexico. Works to stream Vudu and Netflix. Outstanding apps for all platforms. Strong security and great performance. Has a 45-day money-back guarantee to trial the service.
Read our full Hotspot Shield review.
How do I use a VPN to unblock Vudu?
Here’s the good news: VPNs are much easier to use than you might think. Below, we’ll show you how to unblock Vudu abroad in just a few minutes. To watch Vudu from anywhere, follow the steps below.
Here’s how to watch Vudu online from anywhere with a VPN:
- First, choose a suitable VPN provider (we recommend NordVPN).
- Next, download and install the app onto any device you’d like to stream on.
- Log in and connect to a server in either the US or Mexico (generally, you’ll get faster speeds from a server that’s closer to you).
- Visit Vudu and try to watch something. In most cases, you’ll find the video begins immediately but if it doesn’t, clear your cookies and try again.
- If problems persist, contact your VPN’s support team directly for further assistance.
VPN Testing Methodology
There are hundreds of consumer-facing VPNs on the market and they are not all suitable for streaming Vudu abroad. Many VPNs lack fast servers that work to access popular streaming platforms, while others lack the basic security features you need to gain watertight privacy online.
Below we have included some of the features we looked for when curating this list of the best VPNs for Vudu:
- Fast speeds. To watch shows on Vudu from abroad, you require a VPN that doesn’t cause buffering when streaming in HD. We test each VPN to ensure it has both fast servers and quick VPN protocols that are efficient and reliable.
- Advanced features. Not all VPNs provide a wide choice of useful features. We look for services that are not only good for streaming but also have everything you need to use the internet free of surveillance and eavesdropping. For this reason, we look for VPNs with a kill-switch, DNS leak protection, AES encryption, obfuscation, split tunneling, and other advanced features.
- No logs policy. What you do online while connected to your VPN should never be analyzed for any reason. We recommend VPNs that promise not to store usage logs that could potentially be requested by government authorities.
- Value for money. Our recommendations provide a reliable service that is packed with features at a fair price. What’s more, we have picked VPNs that let you use the VPN on multiple devices to ensure you can gain privacy and freedom online on all your devices, whether at home or on public wi-fi.
- Global server network. If you are paying for a VPN it should be highly versatile. We look for VPNs that have everything you need to bypass geo-restrictions and censorship no matter where you are in the world. We also test those servers to check that they work to access popular services like Vudu and Netflix.
Best VPNs for Vudu FAQ
Should I use a free VPN to unlock Vudu?
Free VPNs are lurking around on the web and people could be tempted to try them out.
But streaming video certainly isn’t one of their strong points. There’s usually just one or two servers you can connect to - and it’s also possible that they’ll make you wait in line if there’s network congestion. Speeds are slow as bandwidth throttling is common.
Encryption parameters are weak, so don’t assume your connection will be optimized for privacy and security. And there will most likely be a data cap which means your connection can terminate if you stream Vudu for too long.
Our recommendation is to avoid. If a service is free then it’s likely that you’ll be the product instead. And free VPNs are known to monetize by aggressively inserting tracking cookies, monitoring your browsing patterns, and selling the data to third-party advertisers. You run a real risk of malware infection - which can lead to permanent data loss.
What do I do next after signing up for a VPN?
If your intention is to stream Vudu on a desktop PC, Macbook, or smartphone then it’s a simple procedure of logging in to your VPN app first, connecting to a compatible server, and using Vudu like you normally would. We recommend that you clear all cached data to remove location identifiers.
But Vudu is also compatible with the following devices:
- Xbox One
These devices don’t come with in-built support for VPN apps - hence there’s no native software that’ll do the trick. To set up the app we recommend leveraging the VPN on a virtual router. This is possible because most PCs that can connect to wifi are also capable of broadcasting their own wifi signals - similar to how smartphones set up mobile wifi hotspots.
Will a VPN slow down my Vudu streams?
You may experience slower speeds when using a VPN due to the fact that your data is encrypted and has to travel further (to the VPN server before going on to Vudu). However, the best VPNs offer fast server speeds and unlimited bandwidth. If you’re already suffering from ISP throttling, you may actually find that your Vudu streams are of higher quality when connected to a VPN, particularly if the VPN server is close to your physical location.
What devices can you watch Vudu on?
You can watch Vudu on a wide range of devices. This includes the following: desktop (Windows and Mac), mobile (Android and iOS), streaming devices (Amazon Fire TV, Chromecast, Roku, Tivo, and Xfinity), smart TV (LG, Samsung, and Vizio), games consoles (PlayStation, Xbox, and Nvidia), and blu-ray players (LG, Samsung, and Sony).
What is Vudu Disc to Digital?
Vudu Disc to Digital is a service that allows you to convert physical movies (ie DVD and Blu-ray discs) into digital copies. As time goes by, Vudu continues to add movies that are eligible for conversion. All you need to do is scan the UPC barcode of your Blu-ray or DVD with the Vudu mobile app. You can then convert the physical disc into a digital version for the price of $2 (USD).