If you’re trying to access Telegram in Russia, Iran, India, or other parts of the world where it is blocked, your best bet is to log in via a Virtual Private Network (VPN).
A VPN encrypts all the traffic flowing to and from your device and tunnels it via an intermediary server of your choice. The encrypted tunnel also makes it very difficult for ISPs, hackers, and surveillance agencies to monitor your internet behavior.
By using a VPN you can obfuscate your location, thereby tricking state authorities in Russia by making it impossible for them to detect that you’re actually based inside the former communist state.
In this article, we’ll show you how to access Telegram in Russia, Iran, India, or anywhere else with a VPN and the best providers for this purpose.
We get into plenty of detail on each of the VPNs that we have made this list for Telegram, but if you are short of time and can’t read the whole article, here’s a brief breakdown of our top picks:
Best VPNs for Telegram:
- NordVPN Our #1 choice for Telegram. Unblocks Telegram from just about anywhere that restrictions are in place. Has some of the fastest streaming and downloading servers that we’ve tested. Excellent privacy and security features. Includes 30-day money-back guarantee.
- Surfshark A great budget contender for a Telegram VPN, Surfshark is well-priced and delivers in terms of reliability, security, and more.
- ExpressVPN Solid all-rounder with a vast server network that unblocks most geo-restricted sites and services including Telegram. Easy to use and great privacy features.
- CyberGhost Low-cost provider with a huge server network dotted around the globe. Privacy and security are solid.
- IPVanish Security and circumventing blocked sites are their leading features. Good speeds but look elsewhere if you also want to unblock Netflix and Hulu.
- PrivateVPN Newest provider on this list with a growing network of servers. Impressed by their speeds and unblocking capabilities.
WANT TO TRY THE TOP VPN RISK FREE?
NordVPN is offering a fully-featured risk-free 30-day trial if you sign up at this page. You can use the top VPN for Telegram with zero restrictions for a month—great if you're heading off on vacation and just need a VPN for a short time.
There are no hidden terms—just contact support within 30 days if you decide NordVPN isn't right for you and you'll get a full refund. Start your NordVPN trial here.
The best VPNs for Telegram
Before we go into more detail on each VPN, you may be wondering how we selected the best VPNs for Telegram. For a VPN to make our shortlist it had to meet a range of criteria. Below are the key parameters a VPN needed to meet for us to recommend it for use with Telegram.
- Robust security parameters so that your location is guarded at all times
- Apps for Android and iOS
- Large range of server locations in Europe and North America
- No traffic logs
- Ease of use
- Unblocking content
Based on the criteria above we’ve put together a list of the best VPNs for Telegram below. Read on to find out more about the top VPNs and how to use them to access Telegram abroad.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
NordVPN is our top choice for a Telegram VPN. It is an example of a completely logless VPN and doesn’t record any user data whatsoever.
The provider has been in the VPN business for over a decade — helping it build a robust product along the way. It offers over 5,000 servers spread across 60 countries with a large variety in the West. This ranks as the fastest VPN in our speed tests.
Encryption standards are hardy and will keep you protected at all times. NordVPN uses the 256-bit AES protocol by default coupled with 2,048-bit SSL keys. DNS leak protection is enabled.
Apps are available for Linux, Windows, MacOS, Android, and iOS.
- Unblocks Telegram and a ton of other sites
- Great for privacy-conscious users with no logs and Bitcoin payments
- Blazing fast speeds
- 6 simultaneous connections keeps all users and devices protected
- 24/7 support
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- Desktop app is a bit clunky compared to other providers
BEST VPN FOR TELEGRAM:NordVPN is our top pick. Excellent speeds. Works well with Telegram. Solid security and privacy performer. Includes a 30-day money-back guarantee making it risk-free.
Here’s our full review of NordVPN.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
Surfshark is a budget-friendly, privacy-focused VPN that keeps no logs of user information and comes with lots of security features.
It has a growing network of just over 3,000 servers covering more than 60 countries. There are a ton of European locations as well as a good spread in the Americas and Asia Pacific region, along with a few Middle East and Africa locations.
You can expect tight security from this VPN. It boasts 256- bit encryption on the OpenVPN protocol, along with SHA512 authentication and a 2,048-bit key exchange. Apps include a kill switch, leak protection, and automatic wifi protection.
Mobile apps are available for Windows, MacOS, Linux, iOS, and Android.
- Works with Telegram everywhere
- Allows an unlimited number of connections
- Has easy-to-use apps
- 24/7 live chat available
- Accepts cryptocurrencies
- A few slow speeds recorded
TOP BUDGET CHOICE:Surfshark packs a ton of security features, doesn’t log user information, and allows an unlimited number of connections. 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full review of Surfshark here.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
ExpressVPN guards your data zealously. Military-grade encryption protocols are in place; specifically, the service leverages 256-bit AES-CBC as the default encryption standard as well as HMAC authentication and perfect forward secrecy. An internet kill switch is included, which ExpressVPN refers to as a ‘network lock’.
The company doesn’t store any detailed traffic logs but does retain a bit of metadata in order to improve the service. It’s incorporated in the British Virgin Islands which means it’s out of the jurisdiction of government authorities in both the US and the UK.
When you sign up, you’ll find over 3,000 server locations spread across the world. There are plentiful options in Europe and North America.
The provider offers apps for Linux, Windows, MacOS, Android, and iOS.
- Unblocks Telegram effortlessly
- Best-in-class encryption makes for solid security and privacy
- Fast servers are great for streaming HD content
- DNS leak protection, shared IP addresses and keeps no traffic logs
- Apps for Windows, MacOS, Android, iOS, and Linux
- Not the cheapest choice on this list
GREAT ALL-ROUNDER:ExpressVPN is fast and reliable. Confidently unblocks Telegram. Also solid for all major streaming services. Great privacy features and keeps no logs. 30-day money back guarantee.
Here’s our in-depth review of ExpressVPN.
Money-back guarantee: 45 DAYS
CyberGhost is based in Romania and not subject to any mandatory data retention laws. It doesn’t record any user activity on its servers, either. The VPN company offers a varying range of privacy and security features.
All traffic is secured by 256-bit AES encryption on the OpenVPN protocol by default along with perfect forward secrecy. An internet kill switch is included.
The company has 3,787 servers online at the moment with the majority of them housed in Europe and North America. It should be relatively straightforward to find an adequate connection to unblock Telegram.
Additional security features include an ad blocker, anti-malware defense, and anti-tracking. Apps for Windows, MacOS, Android, and iOS are available.
- Unblocks Telegram with ease
- Keeps no user activity logs and provides strong encryption to bypass activity detection
- Plenty of servers in Europe and North America
- Some of the fastest servers we’ve tested
- Power-users may lament lack of advanced configuration options
SOLID SECURITY:CyberGhost is our #1 Choice. Reliable for unblocking Telegram. We’d recommend CyberGhost to beginners who are looking for a fast, reliable connection, an easy-to-use interface, and a decent selection of server locations. It’s also ideal for torrenters. Stores no logs and streams HD video reliably. Try it risk-free with the 45-day money-back guarantee.
Here’s our extensive CyberGhost review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
IPVanish doesn’t store user data of any nature so that should ease privacy concerns.
It offers over 1,300 global servers spread across 75 countries. The US occupies the bulk of this list and there are more than enough options in mainland Europe, too.
Encryption standards are top-tier. It uses 256-bit encryption on the OpenVPN protocol by default, SHA512 authentication, and a DHE-RSA 2,048-bit key exchange with perfect forward secrecy.
You’ll find apps for Windows, MacOS, iOS, and Android.
- No issues with unblocking Telegram
- Keep no logs on user activities and have solid security settings
- Impressive server speeds
- Handles simultaneous connections well
- Doesn’t reliably unblock Netflix, Hulu on all servers
PRIVATE VPN:IPVanish offers strong privacy and security that works well with Telegram. Has a huge number of IPs and servers plus additional protection against DNS leaks. Struggles with Netflix and doesn’t work in China. 7-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full review of IPVanish.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
PrivateVPN popped up quite recently but that doesn’t mean its product is sub-par by any standards.
It’s based in Sweden and offers features and performance on par with the other providers on this list. 256-bit AES encryption is included along with perfect forward secrecy on the OpenVPN protocol. A kill switch is offered, too.
PrivateVPN doesn’t store any user logs, so any record of trying to access Telegram in Russia is scrubbed from sight.
At the moment, a little over 80 servers spread across 56 countries. This seems tiny as compared to the gargantuan options offered by other providers, but the range of locations in Europe and North America should do the trick.
- Keeps no logs whatsoever
- Very fast speeds
- Accepts Bitcoin
- May need support assistance in locating the best server to choose
- Newer network with a smaller number of servers to choose from
GREAT SPEED:PrivateVPN is a good family choice. Unblocks Telegram. Also good for secure and private browsing and torrenting. Lacks 24/7 chat support. 30-day money-back guarantee.
Here’s our review of PrivateVPN.
Should I consider a free VPN to access Telegram?
The first and foremost consideration of users trying to access Telegram where it is blocked should be the guarantee that their private data is protected at all costs. That’s because you’re trying to circumvent government restrictions, which puts you directly in the crosshairs of the state. And that’s no trifling matter.
Unfortunately, free VPN services carry the inherent risk of poor encryption and pitiful speeds. The fact that they’re free should be a dead giveaway—such services aren’t charities and are definitely in the business of making money. Many of them have been caught inserting tracking cookies in order to mine their users’ data and sell it to third-party advertisers.
If you opt for a free VPN, it’s unlikely that you’ll receive a premium experience. Expect frequent disconnections and a lingering concern that your digital footprint is being monitored.
For peace of mind, we advise you not to use a free VPN.
How to Unblock Telegram with a VPN
Although Telegram is blocked in certain countries it is fairly simple to regain access with the help of a VPN. Just follow the simple steps below to set-up a VPN for Telegram on any PC, Windows, Android or IOS device.
Here’s how to change download location and unblock Telegram with a VPN:
- Sign up with a VPN for Telegram. We particularly recommend NordVPN.
- Download and install the VPN app or browser extension for your device.
- Open the VPN app or browser extension and connect to a server in your home country (or any country in which Telegram is not blocked). This will provide you with a new IP address.
- Download the Telegram App for your device.
- Log in to Telegram and you should now be able to send and receive messages! If you’re still encountering restrictions, try clearing your browser’s cookies.
What else can I do with a VPN?
Popular encrypted chat and VoIP application Telegram has been under fire in Russia with the Kremlin demanding that its encryption keys be handed over to state security agencies.
A refusal to comply with these directives has resulted in an outright ban on Telegram in Russia, with authorities seemingly blocking 16 million IP addresses in order to stymie access to the service.
Internet users in Russia are under direct attack as the country slides towards authoritarianism and the muzzling of free speech. Rights activists have taken to the street in order to demand freedom of expression online, but it’s not clear whether such steps are leading to any noticeable change of stance by Russian authorities.
Telegram’s blockade is probably an indicator that such restrictions will only continue to get worse.
Tip: You can use this tool to check websites blocked in Russia.
Using a VPN to access the internet will help you obtain a version that’s free of all sorts of restrictions and barriers. It can also be used to blog online safely and access geo-restricted streaming services like Netflix and Hulu.
Our guide to the best VPNs for Russia is a useful starting point.