WhatsApp and other social media platforms have been blocked in Turkey on several occasions, forcing ISPs to implement restrictions on the government’s behalf. This is disappointing to anyone living in or visiting the country who wants to use WhatsApp to stay in touch with friends, family, and colleagues. Luckily, a VPN provides you with a way to bypass the block and use WhatsApp in Turkey.
Short for Virtual Private Network, a VPN encrypts your internet traffic and routes it through a server in your preferred location. This means that your ISP nor any other snoopers can read the contents of your traffic, enabling you to access blocked sites. Not all VPN services are capable of bypassing the WhatsApp restrictions in Turkey, but some are, and we’ve listed the best ones for you here.
We’ll discuss these in more detail below, but here’s a quick rundown of our favorite VPNs for WhatsApp in Turkey.
Best WhatsApp VPN for Turkey
- NordVPN: Our first choice VPN for use with WhatsApp in Turkey. Top-notch security features and exceptional unblocking ability. Also includes a risk-free 30-day money-back guarantee.
- Surfshark: This low-cost provider helps you easily access blocked apps and protect all of your devices simultaneously. Boasts fast, reliable connections and no device limit.
- ExpressVPN: An extremely fast, reliable, and secure VPN with servers in 94 countries, including Turkey
- CyberGhost: Quick, easy-to-use, and fantastic for anyone looking to access WhatsApp in Turkey. Offers free 24/7 support over live chat.
- PrivateVPN: A small network of servers doesn’t hold this provider back from offering fast speeds and great unblocking abilities.
- VyprVPN: A no-logs VPN that can bypass all but the strictest online censorship. Allows you to use WhatsApp, Facebook, and more abroad.
TRY THE TOP RATED VPN RISK FREE
NordVPN is offering a fully-featured risk-free 30-day trial if you sign up on this page. You can use the VPN rated #1 for WhatsApp with no restrictions for a month – great if you've got a short trip planned to Turkey.
There are no hidden terms – just contact support within 30 days if you decide NordVPN isn't right for you, and you'll get a full refund. Start your NordVPN trial here.
The best VPNs for WhatsApp in Turkey – At a glance
We’ve compared the most important features of the top VPNs here. Prefer to read the in-depth reviews? Start with NordVPN – our #1 choice for WhatsApp.
|Website||NordVPN.com||Surfshark.com||ExpressVPN.com||Cyberghost.com||PrivateVPN.com||VyprVPN.com||Ranking for WhatsApp:||1||2||3||4||5||6||Devices Supported||Windows, MacOS, iOS, Android, Linux||Windows, MacOS, iOS, Android, Linux, Amazon Fire TV||Windows, MacOS, iOS, Android, Linux, Smart TVs, Routers||Windows, MacOS, Linux (command line), iOS, Android, Smart TVs Routers||Windows, MacOS, iOS, Android, Amazon Fire TV||Windows, Linux, MacOS, iOS, Android, QNAP, Anonabox, Blackphone, Routers||Avg Speed (Mbps)||100+ Mbps||100+ Mbps||100+ Mbps||100+ Mbps||39 Mbps||100+ Mbps||Streaming Services||Netflix|
|Popular Sites Unblocked||95%||88%||86%||85%||85%||90%||Total number of servers||5,700+||3,200||Undisclosed||7000+||200+||700+|
|Best deal (per month)||$3.19|
SAVE 61% + 3 months FREE
Get 2 Months FREE with a 2-year plan
SAVE: 49% on the annual plan
SAVE up to 84% on the 2 year plan + 3 months free
SAVE 85% on the three year plan
SAVE 50% on the annual plan
Best VPNs for WhatsApp in Turkey
There’s a huge selection of VPNs to choose from, but not all work in Turkey to unblock WhatsApp. Those that do aren’t all cut from the same cloth and differ on factors such as speed and security. We chose our best VPNs for WhatsApp in Turkey based on the following criteria:
- Works reliably in Turkey and unblocks WhatsApp
- Operates a global network of servers
- Boasts fast speeds
- Doesn’t maintain logs
- Utilizes strong security
- Offers excellent customer support
This is just an overview, you can read more about how we test our VPNs in the methodology section below. but for now, let’s dive into the VPNs that made the grade.
Here’s our list of the best VPNs for WhatsApp in Turkey:
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
NordVPN is the best option for unblocking WhatsApp in Turkey. It has an expansive network, with over 5,000 servers in around 60 countries, including Turkey. One of its main selling points is its ability to bypass censorship and geo-restriction measures. It works across the globe, including in Turkey, China, and other restrictive countries that impose VPN blocks, so you can access WhatsApp, Skype, and other communication apps from anywhere. It also helps you securely access multiple Netflix libraries, Hulu, Amazon Prime Video, and more.
Another attractive aspect of this VPN is its suite of security features. Aside from effectively uncrackable encryption, leak protection, and a kill switch (in all apps except Android), you get automatic wifi protection, a dark web monitor, and the ability to remotely connect to other devices (such as a PC back home). Best of all, NordVPN has an independently audited no-logs policy. Live chat-based support is always available to help.
NordVPN allows up to six simultaneous connections. Apps are available for Windows, Mac, Linux, Android, iOS, and Amazon Fire TV while you can also find extensions for Chrome, Firefox, and Edge browsers. You can even manually set up a VPN connection on select routers.
- Expansive global server network
- Great at unblocking
- Strong security features
- No-logs provider
- Knowledgable customer support 24/7
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- Expensive month-to-month plan
BEST VPN FOR WHATSAPP IN TURKEY:NordVPN is our first choice for users looking to chat securely while in Turkey. It keeps no logs and protects your internet traffic with lots of security features. Plans include a risk-free 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full NordVPN review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
Surfshark is the best budget option for using WhatsApp in Turkey. This provider has recently expanded its network and now offers access to more than 3,000 servers in 100 countries. Not only that, it’s one of the fastest VPNs we’ve tested and includes a NoBorders mode that can help users access WhatsApp and other blocked apps while in Turkey. There’s also no limit on the number of devices you can connect.
Security features include 256-bit encryption, perfect forward secrecy, a kill switch in all apps, and protection against DNS, IPv6, and WebRTC leaks. Extras include split tunneling, malware protection, and a feature that changes your IP address at fixed intervals. Connecting to a MultiHop server ensures your data receives two or more layers of encryption. This VPN keeps no logs whatsoever and provides 24/7 support.
Surfshark apps can be found for Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, Linux, and Amazon Fire TV. Chrome and Firefox extensions are also available to download. Last but not least, Surfshark can even be manually installed on compatible routers.
- Servers in around 100 countries
- Unblocks most websites and apps
- Provides fast, secure connections
- No device limit
- Doesn’t keep logs
- Some features require an additional monthly payment
BEST BUDGET VPN:Surfshark is our top low-cost option. Great for browsing and video-calling anonymously in Turkey. Allows unlimited simultaneous connections. Includes a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full Surfshark review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
ExpressVPN operates a network of over 3,000 servers in 94 countries and has an excellent reputation for evading government censorship across the globe, including in Turkey. ExpressVPN will help you access all your favorite apps from within the country, including WhatsApp, Skype, and Twitter. It’s also great at unblocking streaming platforms such as Disney+, Amazon Prime Video, and Hulu. Speeds are blazing fast, making this an ideal choice for VoIP calling.
This provider uses 256-bit encryption in conjunction with perfect forward secrecy and protection against DNS, WebRTC, and IPv6 leaks. Additionally, a kill switch is built into the desktop apps. ExpressVPN doesn’t log any personally-identifiable info and added a threat manager that can stop your apps from sending data to known trackers. Support is available around the clock should you need any help.
Native apps are provided for Windows, Mac, Linux, Android, and iOS. You can also find apps for Amazon Fire TV and Android TV while browser extensions are offered for Chrome, Firefox, Edge, and Safari. What’s more, this VPN has its own router firmware, making it easy to protect a whole network.
- Works reliably across the globe
- Unblocks WhatsApp and other platforms
- Offers extremely fast speeds
- Provides secure and private connections
- 24/7 live customer chat support
- Price is a bit higher than that of rivals
- Lack of advanced configuration options
FAST AND RELIABLE:ExpressVPN is a great pick for WhatsApp in Turkey. This VPN is fast, secure, and versatile, plus it comes with excellent customer support. Comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full ExpressVPN review.
Money-back guarantee: 45 DAYS
CyberGhost certainly has plenty to offer privacy-conscious travelers. First off, it boasts a huge network, with almost 9,000 servers in 91 countries. Some of these are even designed for specific tasks like streaming, browsing anonymously, or torrenting. Additionally, this VPN has first-class speeds, averaging roughly 300 Mbps in our latest tests. A maximum of seven devices can be secured simultaneously.
Users can take advantage of 256-bit encryption, a kill switch, and protection against WebRTC, DNS, and IPv6 leaks, plus automatic ad-blocking. You can also connect via a random port, which might help you evade particularly strict VPN-blocking systems. CyberGhost doesn’t log any data that could be traced back to you. Having problems? Just get in touch using the free 24/7 live chat service.
CyberGhost apps are available for Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, Linux, and Amazon Fire TV. While there isn’t an app for routers, you can manually configure a connection with compatible wifi routers.
- No issues accessing WhatsApp in Turkey
- Testing revealed impressive server speeds
- Tells you which servers are good for a particular task
- Solid privacy and security features enabled by default
- 45-day money-back guarantee
- Doesn’t work in China or the UAE
- Better suited to beginners than power users
IDEAL FOR BEGINNERS:CyberGhost is a novice-friendly service with truly impressive speed, security, and unblocking ability. Great for regaining access to services like WhatsApp while in Turkey. Has a 45-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full CyberGhost review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
PrivateVPN has a much smaller network (200 servers in 60+ countries) than the other providers on this list, but it manages to keep up from a performance standpoint. This service works reliably, even in countries where VPN blocks are imposed, Turkey included. PrivateVPN will assist you in unblocking WhatsApp and other apps and can help you access streaming and gaming sites too. If it doesn’t work out of the box, you can use the “Stealth VPN” feature, which is designed to evade online censorship.
This service doesn’t disappoint on the online privacy and security front. It’s actually its own ISP and hosting provider, meaning there’s almost no chance of outside interference. Further, the apps include 256-bit encryption, perfect forward secrecy, a kill switch, and protection against DNS, IPv6, and WebRTC leaks. If you’re having trouble accessing your usual services, just activate the Stealth mode. PrivateVPN keeps no logs whatsoever. Live chat support is available at most times of the day.
Secure up to six devices simultaneously via PrivateVPN apps for Windows, Mac, Android, and iOS. You can use PrivateVPN with Linux and select routers but this does require manual setup.
- Strong unblocking abilities
- Fast speeds
- Secure and private
- Allows 10 simultaneous connections
- Small server network
- Live chat isn’t always available
PRIVATE NETWORK:PrivateVPN is focused on user security and privacy, and delivering fast, reliable connections. Allows 10 connections at once. It offers users a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full PrivateVPN review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
VyprVPN offers around 700 servers in 70+ locations. Whether you’re looking to chat on WhatsApp, stream Netflix, or beat country-wide blocking, it’s a solid choice. What’s more, this service is fast enough for anything you throw at it. With the ability to access the wider internet in places like Turkey and China, users are free to browse securely no matter where they go.
This VPN keeps your online activities private using 256-bit encryption, a kill switch, and protection against DNS, IPv6, and WebRTC leaks. You can also configure it to connect automatically when you use a public wifi network. VyprVPN has its own protocol designed to beat oppressive online censorship and refuses to log any data that could lead back to you. Customer support is on-hand 24/7 via live chat.
VyprVPN offers its own Windows, Mac, Android, and iOS apps. To use it with Linux or select routers, you’ll need to manually configure the connection.
- Provides steady, reliable speeds
- Impressive set of security tools
- Great for beating online censorship
- Not the largest server network
- Doesn’t accept Bitcoin
SPEAK FREELY ANYWHERE:VyprVPN has no issues beating strict online restrictions and works with most services we’ve tested. Also offers top-tier speeds, a strong security toolkit, and a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full VyprVPN review.
How to access WhatsApp in Turkey
Even if you’ve never used a VPN before, getting set up is simple. Just follow the steps below, and you’ll be making WhatsApp calls from Turkey in no time.
Here’s how to access WhatsApp in Turkey with a VPN:
- Choose a VPN provider and pay for your subscription. We recommend NordVPN.
- Locate the app for your device on the provider’s website or in the relevant app store, then download and install it.
- Log in to the app and connect to a server outside of Turkey.
- Now launch WhatsApp, and you should be able to use the service as normal.
If you run into issues, consult your VPN knowledge base or customer support team for help with troubleshooting. It may be that you need to connect to a different server or change the VPN settings.
Methodology: Finding the best VPNs for WhatsApp in Turkey
When you’re traveling in a country with severe online restrictions like Turkey, it’s vital you have a VPN you can trust. Not only that, it has to be able to handle any day-to-day task without breaking a sweat. With this in mind, we created a short list of requirements that our top VPNs had to meet:
- Security and privacy: Turkey’s widespread online censorship and surveillance mean anonymity must be our top priority. That’s why the VPNs we recommend must include 256-bit encryption, a kill switch, leak protection, and a no-logs policy at a bare minimum. Any other tools that help protect your online privacy (such as stealth modes or tracker-blockers) are greatly appreciated.
- Unblocking ability: First off, your VPN has to be able to beat the Turkish government’s restrictions. Further, we looked for VPN services that worked with geo-blocked platforms like Netflix, HBO Max, and Prime Video. After all, if you can access these abroad, you can likely access most other services too.
- Speed: Slow speeds lead to dropped calls, low-quality audio, and stuttering video. As such, we decided to only recommend services that performed well during our most recent VPN speed tests.
- Server choice: Your VPN must have servers in locations with no online censorship. However, we also looked for those with Turkish servers since these will allow locals to continue using Turkey-only platforms while traveling.
- User-friendliness: The simpler your VPN is to use, the more likely you are to actually rely on it. Ideally, there’d be no connection limit, task-specific servers, and streamlined apps, as well as free 24/7 live chat.
- Value for money: There are so many VPNs on the market, many of which fail to unblock WhatsApp in Turkey. Despite this, many of these VPNs are more expensive than those listed in this post. Besides, we’ve included VPN discount coupons so you can save even more. All of the best VPNs for WhatsApp in Turkey also include a risk-free money-back guarantee of at least 30 days.
This is far from the only testing we do. To learn more, check out our full VPN testing methodology post.
Using WhatsApp in Turkey: FAQs
Can I use a free VPN for WhatsApp in Turkey?
In short, no. To start, a free VPN likely won’t work in Turkey to unblock WhatsApp. Free VPNs don’t have the resources to invest in the technology required to evade government censorship, so your connection will likely be detected and blocked.
Even if you do manage to find a free VPN that works in Turkey, there are other issues you’ll have to deal with. Their connections tend to be painfully slow and subject to dropping at any time. You’ll also have low data caps and bandwidth limits, so VoIP calling is probably a no-go.
Aside from violating your privacy, many free VPNs dupe you in other ways. While they claim to secure your VPN traffic, some use weak encryption, while others don’t actually encrypt your traffic at all, and others collect your data to be sold to third parties. Furthermore, if you’re looking for features like a kill switch and leak protection, you’ll need to look elsewhere.
For a seamless experience, you’re best off paying a small monthly fee for a full-featured VPN.
Why is WhatsApp blocked in Turkey?
WhatsApp isn’t blocked in Turkey on an official or permanent basis, but it may be blocked intermittently, in particular, during times of political unrest. The most recent WhatsApp block in Turkey was rolled out in February 2020. At this time, users reportedly had no access to WhatsApp and other apps, including Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
Of course, because the Turkish government realized that people were using VPNs to bypass blocked apps, they started to target VPN providers, too. As such, many services no longer work in the country.
Does NordVPN have servers in Ankara?
NordVPN doesn’t operate any servers in Ankara, Turkey. Fortunately, it does have multiple servers (8 at the time of writing) located in the city of Istanbul.
If you’re located in Ankara, you’ll still be able to connect to a NordVPN server in Istanbul and expect a strong connection. The two cities are only 300 kilometers apart and, generally speaking, the closer a server to your physical location, the faster your connection is likely to be.
Will my WhatsApp account be banned if I use it in Turkey with a VPN?
No, there is no record of WhatsApp banning accounts either for accessing its service from Turkey, or using a VPN to do so. WhatsApp is legal in Turkey so you shouldn’t have any issues from WhatsApp or the Turkish government for using it within the country. Of course, WhatsApp users can still have their accounts banned for other reasons such as sending spam or sharing inappropriate content.
Can I use a Turkish telephone number with Whatsapp?
Turkish telephone numbers can be used with WhatsApp, but you will need first to change the number format to include the country code (+90). As such, you’ll need to start with +90 followed by the full phone number.
Can I video chat on WhatsApp in Turkey?
Yes, you are able to video chat on WhatsApp in Turkey, but only if you use a VPN. This is due to the restrictions in place and blocks that prevent you from using the app. It’s not possible to use WhatsApp Video chat without a VPN.
Which websites and services are banned in Turkey?
Almost half a million websites were banned in Turkey by the end of 2021. Some of the websites and services that have been blocked in Turkey include Facebook, Instagram, Tidal, Twitter, WhatsApp, and Wikipedia.
There are many different reasons for limits on content in Turkey and this includes the following:
- Material criticial of the government
- Pro-atheist or anti-Islamic content
- Information on VPNs, privacy, and beating censorship
- Left-wing journalism
- Free exchange of information
Are VPNs legal in Turkey?
At the time of writing, VPNs remain completely legal in Turkey. However, the government has blocked access to many of the top providers’ websites, so signing up might present a challenge. Here’s the good news: many of the blocked VPNs are actually quite good at bypassing internet censorship, so if you install them before arriving, you shouldn’t have any issues.
Will using a VPN with WhatsApp Improve the Voice Quality?
The main advantages of using a VPN with WhatsApp is being able to unblock the service as well as enjoy security and privacy-related benefits. Generally speaking, using a VPN with WhatsApp won’t improve call quality, be it video or voice. However, you may notice an improvement if you were suffering from slow speeds due to ISP throttling, particularly if you use a fast VPN that offers unlimited bandwidth.