Navigating the web in Turkey or accessing Turkish content from abroad can be a very challenging experience. The weight of internet censorship in Turkey can be a burden, while the longing to connect with local content outside its borders can be equally frustrating. But what if there was a tool that we have tried and tested, that could restore your online freedom and remove geo-restrictions?
A VPN or Virtual Private Network isn’t just tech jargon; it’s your passport to an unrestricted web. By channeling your internet activity through a VPN server, it safeguards your data and hides your online identity. This allows seamless access to Turkish digital content, wherever you might be.
We have researched and tested numerous VPN services to bring you the best VPNs designed to grant you a Turkish IP. Read our comprehensive guide below for a complete look at each provider.
But if time’s ticking and you need a quick fix, skim through our curated list of the best VPNs for getting a Turkey IP address:
- NordVPN: Our #1 choice for getting a Turkish IP address! Works great with Turkish websites and accessing Turkish content. 15+ servers in Turkey and over 5,700 globally. Offers 24/7 support and six simultaneous connections. Strict no-logs policy. 30-day money-back guarantee.
TIP In our testing we found that the cheapest NordVPN plan (Standard) works perfectly for a Turkish IP.
- Surfshark: Best budget option with a Turkish VPN server. Unlimited simultaneous connections. Unblocks geo-restricted websites in Turkey. 24/7 support and user-friendly apps. Strict no-logs policy.
- ExpressVPN: A great VPN for anyone who needs an IP address for Turkey and wants to access geo-restricted content. Fast, easy to use, and offers 24/7 support. Excellent security with encryption.
- PrivateVPN: A smaller VPN provider offering excellent speed for streaming Turkish TV. Beginner-friendly apps for desktop and mobile.
- VyprVPN: A no-logs VPN with servers in dozens of countries, including Turkey. Offers 24/7 live chat support. Plenty of security features.
- Private Internet Access: Servers in 80+ countries, Turkey included. Good connection speeds and up to 10 devices per account. Doesn’t keep any logs.
How to get a Turkey IP address
Here’s how to use a VPN to get an IP address for Turkey:
- Sign up with a VPN with servers in Turkey. We particularly recommend NordVPN.
- Download and install a VPN app or browser extension for your device.
- Clear your cookies so that the website or service you want to access forgets your true IP address and location.
- Open the VPN app and connect to a server in Turkey. If you’re in Turkey and want to access content that is blocked in the country, you’ll need to choose a server in another country.
- The region-locked content should now be unblocked! If not, be sure to try another server or contact your VPN’s customer support.
WANT TO TRY THE TOP VPN RISK FREE?
NordVPN is offering a fully-featured risk-free 30-day trial if you sign up at this page. You can use the VPN rated #1 for Turkey without any restrictions for a month—great if you want to access your usual services while on vacation.
There are no hidden terms—just contact customer support within 30 days if you decide NordVPN isn't right for you and you'll get a full refund. Start your NordVPN trial here.
The best VPN to get a Turkish IP address – Our hands-on review
We’ve tested and compared the most important features of the top VPNs here. Prefer to read the in-depth reviews? Start with NordVPN – our #1 choice for getting a Turkish IP.
|Ranking for Turkey
|Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, Disney+, BBC iPlayer
|Netflix, Hulu, BBC iPlayer, Amazon Prime Video, Sky Go
|Windows, MacOS, iOS, Android, Linux
|Windows, MacOS, iOS, Android, Linux, Amazon Fire TV
|Windows, MacOS, iOS, Android, Linux, Smart TVs, Routers
|Windows, MacOS, iOS, Android, Amazon Fire TV
|Windows, Linux, MacOS, iOS, Android, QNAP, Anonabox, Blackphone, Routers
|Popular Sites Unblocked
|Best deal (per month)
67% off NordVPN for you. 3 months free for a friend
Save 82% + Get 2 Months FREE
SAVE: 49% + 3 months free
Save 85% on a one year plan + 24-months free
SAVE 50% on the annual plan
The best VPNs to get a Turkey IP address
From our real-world experience, here’s our list of the best VPNs for getting a Turkish IP address:
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
NordVPN has 15+ servers in Turkey and more than 5,700 servers worldwide across 60 countries. Having such a large network of servers means you should always be able to find a suitably fast connection. NordVPN is one of the few VPNs that has consistently continued to work in Turkey. Aside from having a high number of servers, NordVPN is known to offer high-quality connections that are fast and stable. Indeed, this is a great VPN for accessing Turkish streaming platforms, but also works with Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, and Hulu, to name a few other streaming services.
The NordVPN apps are well-designed and easy for anyone to use. Selecting a server is simple. Servers are listed by country and then prioritized by server load while you also have the option of favoriting servers. NordVPN doesn’t compromise on security and offers what it calls “military-grade encryption” (256-bit AES), an automatic kill switch, and DNS and IPv6 leak protection. Specialty servers include Double VPN, which encrypts your internet traffic twice for an extra layer of security. With NordVPN, your data is not tracked or collected since it has a strict no-logs policy.
If you choose NordVPN, you can download apps for Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, Amazon Fire TV, Linux, and even Android TV. Chrome and Firefox browser extensions are also offered. However, compatible routers require manual setup.
- Plenty of servers in Turkey and around the world
- Faster speeds than any of its rivals
- Works with Netflix, Amazon Prime, and more
- Strong security including encryption and a no-logs policy
- Offers user-friendly apps and browser extensions
- No app for routers that have to be configured manually
BEST VPN FOR TURKEY:NordVPN is our first choice. It has a vast network of more than 5,700 servers, 15+ of which are in Turkey. Unblocks most popular streaming services. No-logs VPN with 24/7 support. Allows six simultaneous connections. Risk-free 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full NordVPN review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
Surfshark is a great choice for families because it allows an unlimited number of simultaneous connections. Aside from servers in Turkey, it has a server presence in dozens of countries, including the US, UK, and Australia. That means you can use it to access region-locked content from almost anywhere. This includes Netflix and BBC iPlayer. Indeed, Surfshark offers good speeds for streaming without interruption.
It’s easy to connect to a server in Turkey thanks to Surfshark’s excellent apps and browser extensions. Should you encounter any issues, this VPN offers 24/7 live chat support. What’s more, it even comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee. Surfshark is headquartered in the British Virgin Islands and operates a strict no-logs policy. Further security features include 256-bit AES encryption, DNS and IPv6 leak protection, and a kill switch.
You can download Surfshark apps for the following: Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, and Amazon Fire TV. Chrome and Firefox browser extensions are also offered. Manual configuration is required for use with Linux and routers.
- Connect an unlimited number of devices simultaneously
- Unblock websites and services in over 50 countries, Turkey included
- Easy-to-use apps and browser extensions for beginners
- High level of security thanks to encryption and a no-logs policy
- Smaller network of 800 servers
- Some servers can be a little slow
BEST BUDGET VPN:Surfshark can access Netflix and lets you connect an unlimited number of devices simultaneously. Comes at a very reasonable price. Offers 24/7 support and user-friendly apps. Protects your privacy with encryption and no logs policy. 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full Surfshark review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
ExpressVPN is one of the best VPNs for unblocking geo-restricted content around the world since it has over 3,000 servers across 94 countries, including Turkey. With ExpressVPN, you’ll be able to access all sorts of Turkish sites, including news sites and popular streaming services including Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, and BBC iPlayer.
Not only is ExpressVPN excellent at unblocking restricted websites and services, but it’s also very fast. We were able to stream HD videos without any buffering or lag. For the most part, servers are extremely reliable, more so than most VPNs we’ve tested (the service guarantees 99.9% uptime). ExpressVPN also offers excellent live chat support. It’s worth noting that the VPN apps are very easy to use and the browser extensions add to the high level of convenience.
ExpressVPN encrypts your internet traffic with 256-bit AES encryption. It also offers DNS and IPv6 leak protection, a kill switch, and split tunneling which lets you pick and choose which devices or apps are routed via the VPN. Based in the British Virgin Islands, ExpressVPN isn’t subject to data retention laws and doesn’t keep any user-identifying logs. Indeed, the seizing of an ExpressVPN server by Turkish authorities in 2017 didn’t reveal any useful information, verifying the no-logs policy of ExpressVPN.
You can download ExpressVPN apps for Windows, Android, Mac, iOS, Linux, and routers. If you have a games console or smart TV, ExpressVPN’s MediaStreamer can be used. ExpressVPN also offers browser extensions for Chrome, Firefox, and Safari.
- Consistently available in Turkey
- Works with most geo-restricted Turkish content
- Fast and stable connection speed
- Offers a high level of security
- Well-designed apps for a variety of operating systems
- Not the cheapest of VPNs
- Could provide more control over advanced functionality
PRIVACY FIRST:ExpressVPN helps keep you safe no matter where you are. It has fast servers and unblocks most geo-blocked websites and services. Excellent user-friendly apps, friendly 24/7 support, and strong security with encryption. Offers a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full ExpressVPN review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
PrivateVPN is a Sweden-based VPN that offers very fast speeds, making it ideal for online streaming. Able to access everything from Netflix to Amazon Prime Video, PrivateVPN is well worth considering. While this is a smaller VPN service and far from the largest server network, PrivateVPN does have servers in 60 countries at the time of writing. This includes Istanbul, Turkey. Unlimited bandwidth means you’re unlikely to encounter buffering when streaming.
This is a particularly good value VPN service because it lets you connect up to six devices simultaneously. If you’re new to using a VPN, you may well appreciate PrivateVPN’s user-friendly apps. We particularly like the availability of simple and advanced menus, adding some flexibility. Security features include 256-bit AES encryption, a built-in kill switch, and DNS and IPv6 leak protection. PrivateVPN has a no-logs policy and states it doesn’t know what its users do online.
PrivateVPN apps are available for the following operating systems: Windows, Android, Mac, and iOS. Manual configuration is required for Linux and routers.
- Fast speeds make it ideal for online streaming
- Works with Turkish TV channels and streaming sites
- Use it on up to six devices simultaneously
- Strong security measures with a no-logs policy
- No apps for Linux and routers
- Live chat isn’t available 24/7
FAST SPEEDS:PrivateVPN is a speedy VPN that can access geo-restricted content such as Netflix with ease. Use this VPN on up to six devices simultaneously. Beginner-friendly desktop and mobile apps and a no-logs policy. 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full PrivateVPN review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
VyprVPN is a VPN that still works in Turkey despite the various VPN blocks. It has just over 700 servers worldwide, including in Istanbul, Turkey. In our testing of VyprVPN, we’ve found it to be fast and reliable. We were able to stream HD content on Netflix and Amazon Prime Video without interruption. VyprVPN positions itself as a VPN that doesn’t set limits on speed (no throttling), bandwidth, and server switching.
This is a VPN service that offers 24/7 live chat customer support. In terms of security, VyprVPN is based in Switzerland and owns and manages its own servers, meaning third parties aren’t hosting your data. VyprVPN has been independently audited to prove that it keeps no logs. It also offers 256-bit AES encryption, DNS and IPv6 leak protection, and a kill switch that blocks your connection should VyprVPN be disconnected. This prevents your personal data from being exposed.
You can use VyprVPN on Windows, Android, Mac, iOS, and select routers. Linux requires manual setup.
- Servers in dozens of countries, including Turkey
- Unlimited bandwidth and server switching
- 24/7 live chat support
- Audited to prove it keeps no logs
- No app for Linux
- Not as cheap as some other VPNs on the market
STRONG SECURITY:VyprVPN is a VPN with strong security features. It offers good speeds for browsing and streaming. Works with Netflix and provides 24/7 live chat support. Audited to prove it doesn’t keep any logs. 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full VyprVPN review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
Private Internet Access has a server network that covers more than 80 countries including Turkey. As such, you can use it to get a Turkish IP address or to connect to servers in the US, Canada, and UK to access geo-restricted content. It offers very solid server speeds and doesn’t throttle your bandwidth. You can therefore, stream the likes Netflix and Turkish TV channels such as TRT1 lag and buffer-free.
You can use Private Internet Access to secure as many as ten devices at the same time. It ticks all of the security boxes with 256-bit AES encryption, DNS leak protection, and a kill switch. It also ensures the protection of your privacy by not keeping any logs — not even connection logs. The apps are easy to use and customizable, and if you need help, 24/7 support is available.
Private Internet Access provides apps for the following: Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, Linux, and Amazon Fire TV. Furthermore, browser extensions can be downloaded for Chrome and Firefox. You can manually set up a connection with select routers, too.
- Servers across 80 countries, Turkey included
- Good speeds for streaming Turkish TV without interruption
- Connect up to 10 of your devices at once
- Doesn’t keep any logs whatsoever
- Unable to bypass restrictions in China
- Struggles to unblock some streaming services such as DAZN
NO-LOGS PROVIDER:Private Internet Access makes it easy to get a Turkish IP address and stream Turkish TV from abroad. Servers in 80+ countries, unlimited bandwidth, and a no-logs policy. Up to 10 devices are allowed. 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full Private Internet Access review.
Finding the best VPNs for getting a Turkish IP address: Our methodology
While many VPNs offer servers in Turkey and allow you to get a Turkish IP address, not all are of good quality. However, it’s not always easy to know if what a VPN provider is stating is true (many claim to be the fastest VPN, for example). Our methodology for finding the best VPNs for getting a Turkish IP address took the following into account:
- Servers in Turkey: It’s of course, imperative that any VPN recommended in this post provide servers in Turkey. Connecting to such a server allows you to get a Turkish IP address. However, there may be times when you wish to access region-locked content from other countries. The VPNs listed here offer servers worldwide.
- Speed: Some VPNs slow your internet connection far too much which is particularly frustrating when streaming or using torrent websites. Our speed tests with servers in various locations help us find the fastest VPNs. Notably, all of the best VPNs for getting a Turkish IP address offer unlimited bandwidth.
- Unblocking: If you’re looking to get a Turkish IP address, chances are you’re traveling abroad and need to bypass geo-blocking. Not all VPNs excel in this area. Having tried each VPN across a wide range of geo-restricted websites and services, we’ve found those that are the most reliable unblockers of content.
- Security: A quality VPN should offer 256-bit AES encryption, a kill switch, and DNS leak protection (all particularly important if you’re using public wifi). We look for each VPN we recommend to offer these features. However, many actually offer extras such as Double VPN servers, an ad blocker, or a password manager.
- Privacy: With a VPN, you should be able to browse anonymously so that even your ISP doesn’t know what you’re doing online. However, some VPNs don’t provide sufficient privacy protection. In fact, some even log your browsing data and sell it to third parties. We’ve looked at 140 VPN logging policies to determine the safest.
- Ease of use: With the best VPNs for getting an IP address for Turkey, expect user-friendly apps that are quick and easy to install and use. These will be available for all major operating systems including Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, and Linux. You can also expect live chat and email support 24 hours a day.
- Value for money: We balance the features a VPN offers with its pricing. Indeed, the VPNs selected present the best value for money on the market. What’s particularly noteworthy is that all include money-back guarantees (at least 30 days). Better still, our VPN discount coupons allow you to get them at a reduced rate.
In order to find out whether a VPN meets the above requirements, we test it out for ourselves. Our VPN testing methodology enables us to provide reviews that are accurate as well as up-to-date.
Can I use a free VPN to get an IP address for Turkey?
No, it’s unlikely a free VPN will work in Turkey since the Turkish government has been cracking down on VPNs. Free VPNs often attract the most attention in such cases, due to the high number of users trying to access the same servers. For this reason, very few free VPNs actually work in Turkey.
Even those select few free VPNs that do work in Turkey tend to suffer from other issues. In particular, free VPNs offer inferior performance. This is due to the high number of users using the services and the bandwidth limits that are set as a result. If you’re in Turkey and looking to watch US Netflix, for example, you can expect a lot of buffering and lag with a free VPN, which can be very frustrating.
Apart from the fact that they don’t often perform well, many free VPNs are unable to unblock popular geo-restricted sites and services. Many sites, such as Netflix have implemented anti-VPN measures that free VPNs are usually unable to navigate. The best-paid VPNs consistently find ways around such obstacles.
Last but not least, free VPNs are not a good idea in Turkey because they’re not as secure. Turkey has a high level of internet censorship, and free VPNs lack security features such as encryption and a kill switch. Thus, your data may be leaked to your ISP. Worse still, some free VPNs actually infect your device with malware while some even sell your data to third parties. Overall, they’re just not worth the risk.
Why do I need a VPN for Turkey?
You need a VPN in Turkey because it’s a country with a high level of internet censorship. Freedom on the Net by Freedom House rated Turkey’s internet freedom as “Not Free” with a score of 66/100 (0 being the best and 100 being the worst). Freedom House went on to describe Turkey’s internet freedom as “highly restricted” due to self-censorship, blocking of news sites, and arrests for those who criticized President Erdoğan.
A VPN can help you unblock websites in Turkey. This includes Wikipedia, which was blocked in Turkey in April 2017. Other blocked sites include image-sharing site Imgur as well as most adult content. The likes of Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Instagram, Skype, and WhatsApp have all experienced blocks at some point in time. Censorship often occurs during periods of political unrest such as the failed coup attempt in 2016.
While a VPN for Turkey can allow you to access government-censored content in the country, it can also unblock geo-restricted content. Not only can a quality VPN help you unblock blocked and geo-restricted websites, apps, and services, but it can also protect your privacy, preventing your ISP (and potentially the Turkish government) from seeing what you’re doing online.
Turkish IP address FAQs
How can I watch Turkish TV abroad with a VPN?
If you want to watch Turkish TV abroad, all you have to do is open your VPN app or browser extension and select a server in Turkey. Once connected, any geo-restricted content from Turkey should be unblocked. If not, don’t worry. You may need to clear your browser’s cookies for the changes to take effect. Alternatively, try another server or contact your VPN’s customer support.
Using a Turkish server means you’ll be able to watch content from Turkish TV channels abroad, including ATV, Fox, and Kanal D, as well as Turkish streaming services such as PuhuTV and BluTV. VPNs with servers worldwide also allow you to access Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, BBC iPlayer, and ESPN.
Are VPNs legal in Turkey?
While there isn’t a law in Turkey that makes VPNs illegal, the government’s blocking of Tor, as well as many popular VPN services, makes this something of a grey area. However, we’ve not seen any reports of anyone being arrested or charged with a crime for using a VPN. For this reason, we understand that it is still legal to use a VPN in Turkey. However, we advise researching your country’s laws if you are unsure.
Which VPNs are blocked in Turkey?
According to our research, the following VPNs are blocked in Turkey at the time of writing:
It’s also worth noting that Tor is blocked in Turkey. If you do find a particular VPN to be blocked, it may be worth trying again some time later as many blocks have proved to be temporary. You can use our handy tool to test if a site is blocked in Turkey.
Which provider has the fastest servers in Istanbul?
NordVPN has the fastest servers in Istanbul although Surfshark and ExpressVPN aren’t too far behind. All of these providers offer unlimited bandwidth and are great for streaming and torrenting. Of course, connection speeds can vary on any given day but with an average global download speed of 369 Mbps, NordVPN is your best bet. It uses NordLynx which is its proprietary version of WireGuard — arguably the fastest VPN protocol.
What is a VPN virtual location?
Virtual locations are a distinctive feature of certain VPN servers. They may seem like they’re in one place, but really it’s another – for example, you could be physically connected to the UK while your VPN virtual server shows that you’re currently browsing from Turkey.
This makes them perfect if someone wants some extra privacy or security when browsing Turkish websites or streaming content from Turkish TV channels.
How do I make sure that my IP address has been changed to Turkey?
By connecting to a VPN server located in Turkey, you can be sure that you now have a Turkish IP address. However, you may even be able to see this new IP address displayed in the VPN app (depending on the VPN in question). Alternatively, you can always use a service like whatismyip.com. Aside from showing your IP address, it shows some geo-location data. If all is working well, this data should display your location as Turkey.
Can I torrent with a Turkish IP address?
Torrenting is legal in Turkey which means it’s safe to torrent with a Turkish IP address. Using a Turkish IP address makes sense if you’re in Turkey and require the fastest possible download speeds from your VPN (the closer a server to your physical location, the faster the connection is likely to be). Remember, while torrenting is legal in Turkey, it’s illegal to torrent copyrighted material without permission — using a VPN to get a Turkish IP address doesn’t change that.
Can I use a proxy to get a Turkish IP address instead of a VPN?
Yes, it is possible to use a proxy server to get a Turkish IP address. However, we do not recommend this method as it is less safe than using a VPN for Turkey.
VPNs encrypt all of your traffic, while proxies only encrypt some of it. This means that third parties will more likely intercept your data when you use a proxy. Additionally, proxies are often slower than VPNs, so you may experience reduced speeds and increased latency when accessing websites and online services from Turkey.
Does Turkey ban VPNs?
While VPNs are not technically banned in Turkey, the government has taken steps to block access to many VPN services. However, using a VPN is still legal in the country. Users often encounter issues when accessing VPN services due to server blocking or deep packet inspections (DPI), which can detect and restrict VPN traffic.
Should I use a VPN if I live in Turkey?
Based on the search results, it is recommended that you use a VPN if you live in Turkey. Turkey has a history of internet censorship, with the government blocking access to various websites and social media platforms.
The government has also passed laws that raise concerns about user privacy, free speech, and information security. Using a VPN can help you bypass these restrictions and securely access your favorite services without the fear of snooping on.
Additionally, a VPN can help you access Turkish services privately within Turkey.