The Kuwaiti government doesn’t block as much content as those in nearby countries like Saudi Arabia or the UAE, but visitors should be aware that they likely won’t enjoy the same level of online freedom they’re used to.
On the plus side, you can take part in all of your favorite online activities and enhance your digital privacy with a Virtual Private Network (VPN). These encrypt your internet connection, providing unlimited access to the wider internet and shielding your activities from government agencies, your Internet Service Provider, or anyone else who might be watching.
We’ll discuss the best VPNs for Kuwait below but if you’re in a hurry, here’s a quick guide to our favorites:
The best VPNs for Kuwait:
- NordVPN: Our top VPN for Kuwait. Excels at beating internet censorship and comes with several tools to upgrade your online security. Offers a risk-free 30-day money-back guarantee.
TIP In our testing we found that the cheapest NordVPN plan (Standard) works perfectly for Kuwait.
- Surfshark: Best budget VPN for Kuwait. Boasts impressive connection speeds, a large server network, and a true no-logging policy.
- ExpressVPN: Makes it as easy as possible to boost your online security. Great for streaming, online gaming, and torrenting in Kuwait.
- CyberGhost: A novice-friendly provider with thousands of servers and a real talent for getting around online censorship. Faster than many others.
- IPVanish: Lightweight VPN service with a no-logging policy, high-speed servers, and no connection limit.
- PrivateVPN: Boost your online privacy with this VPN’s advanced security features and strict no-logs policy. Works with most streaming services too.
- Atlas VPN: Kuwaiti users will appreciate this service’s steady speeds, innovative security tools, and strong unblocking ability.
WANT TO TRY THE TOP VPN RISK FREE?
NordVPN is offering a fully-featured risk-free 30-day trial if you sign up at this page. You can use the VPN rated #1 for Kuwait with no restrictions for a month. This makes it a great choice for anyone hoping to regain access to their favorite services on vacation.
There are no hidden terms—just contact support within 30 days if you decide NordVPN isn't right for you and you'll get a full refund. Start your NordVPN trial here.
Best VPNs for Kuwait – at a glance
We’ve compared the most important features of the top VPNs here. Prefer to read the in-depth reviews? Start with NordVPN – our #1 choice for Kuwait.
|Website||NordVPN.com||Surfshark.com||ExpressVPN.com||Cyberghost.com||IPVanish.com||PrivateVPN.com||Ranking for Kuwait||1||2||3||4||5||6||Servers in the Middle East||Total number of servers||5,700+||3,200||Undisclosed||7000+||2,200+||200+||Avg Speed (Mbps)||100+ Mbps||100+ Mbps||100+ Mbps||100+ Mbps||100+ Mbps||39 Mbps||Simultaneous Connections||6||Unlimited||5||7||Unlimited||10|
|Best deal (per month)||$2.99|
SAVE up to 69% + 3 months FREE
Save 82% + Get 4 Months FREE
SAVE: 49% + 3 months free
SAVE 84% on the 2 year plan + 4 months free
SAVE 74% on the 2 yr plan
Save 85% on a one year plan + 24-months free
Best VPNs for Kuwait
Every VPN provider offers a different level of privacy, security, speed, and customer service. We’re pf the opinion that it’s better to have a VPN capabale of anything rather than one that excels at a single task. With this in mind, when researching the highest-quality premium VPNs for Kuwait, we decided to only recommend those meeting all of the criteria below:
- Has a large selection of servers, ideally with some near Kuwait
- Provides quick and reliable connection speeds
- Work with popular streaming services like Amazon Prime Video
- Has apps for all the major operating systems
- Utilizes strong security protocols and offers additional security features
- Keeps no logs that can be tied to an individual user
- Provides excellent customer support
Without further ado, here are the top VPNs for Kuwait:
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
NordVPN is the best overall VPN for Kuwaiti users. It has roughly 5,000 servers in 60 countries including the UAE, and is one of the best we’ve seen when it comes to accessing geo-restricted content. It’s very fast too, with average speeds of around 200 Mbps — that’s quick enough for uninterrupted live streaming, playing online games, or video-calling. There’s even 24/7 live chat in case of any problems.
This VPN uses 256-bit AES encryption, protects against data leaks, and ensures you never browse unprotected using its automatic kill switch. It also has a few more advanced options, such as a dark web monitor, automatic wifi protection, and MeshNet (a feature that securely connects you to your devices on other networks). Aside from advertising IDs, NordVPN doesn’t log any data that could identify you, and has been independently audited several times.
NordVPN has apps for Mac, Windows, Android, Linux, and iOS. It can be manually installed on most wireless routers.
- Packed with advanced features
- Fast enough for any task
- Unblocks most online content
- Around the clock support
- Mobile users have to clear advertising IDs to remain anonymous
BEST VPN FOR KUWAIT:NordVPN is our first choice. Highly-secure, with reliable servers and a reputation for unblocking just about everything. There’s even a 30-day money-back guarantee so you can try it risk-free.
Find out more in our NordVPN review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
Surfshark is a cheap, effective way to hide your online activities from prying eyes. There are thousands of servers across 100 countries, including Saudi Arabia, the UAE, and Israel, so you won’t have to rely on one that’s too far away. Additionally, unlike most other Virtual Private Networks, Surfshark has no connection limit. It even offers a 24/7 live chat service in case you run into any issues.
This provider offers comprehensive protection against online threats. For starters, it uses AES-256 encryption, an automatic kill switch, and leak protection, but there’s also a CleanWeb feature that blocks malicious websites and ads by default. You can even have your IP address change periodically! Surfshark doesn’t keep any logs and has been audited multiple times to prove it.
Surfshark provides apps for Linux, Windows, macOS, iOS, and Android. Alternatively, you can manually configure it for use with your router.
- Works with Netflix, BBC iPlayer, and more
- Strong security
- Excellent customer support
- No-logs provider
- Secure all of your devices at once
- Some features can’t be used without Surfshark One, which costs extra
BEST BUDGET VPN:Surfshark is a great budget option. It’s easy to use, packed with security tools, and quicker than you might expect. All plans include a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full Surfshark review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
ExpressVPN is a well-respected provider with a network spanning 94 countries. Its biggest strength is that it excels at sidestepping online censorship; it’s one of thw few VPNs that still works in China and the UAE. Naturally, its advanced cloaking abilities can also help you access popular streaming services such as Netflix too. Up to five simultaneous connections are permitted per account.
This service secures your internet connection with an automatic kill switch, AES-256 encryption, plus IPv6 and DNS leak protection. It even has its own protocol named Lightway designed to improve connection speeds over long distances. ExpressVPN never logs any info that could identify you, only harmless metadata like the date of connection and session duration. For extra online anonymity, you can sign up with a burner email and pay with Bitcoin.
ExpressVPN provides apps for Windows, macOS, Linux, iOS, and Android. It makes its own router firmware, meaning you can easily secure a whole household.
- Restore your internet freedoms anywhere
- Novice-friendly security
- Has servers in 94 countries
- Keeps no logs
- More expensive than some rivals
- Few server locations in the Middle East
GREAT FOR STREAMING:ExpressVPN is a fast and reliable service that’s very easy to use. Unblocks a ton of streaming services and comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our in-depth review of ExpressVPN.
Money-back guarantee: 45 DAYS
CyberGhost has a huge server network, capable of getting you an IP address from more than 90 locations including Egypt, Qatar, and Saudi Arabia. As if that wasn’t enough, it works with online streaming services like Netflix, Disney+, and Max. This is one of the quickest premium VPNs we’ve seen too, averaging more than 290 Mbps in our latest tests. Users can have up to seven simultaneous connections, which is one more than the industry average.
This VPN has plenty of security tools, from its internet kill switch to its highly-customizable smart rules feature. There’s also a strict no-logging policy in place, plus AES-256 encryption, automatic wifi protection, leak prevention, and the ability to connect via a random port, which hides some signs of VPN usage. For even greater anonymity, you can connect to one of the specially-designed NoSpy servers that are owned, operated, and maintained at CyberGhost’s HQ in Romania.
CyberGhost has its own Windows, Linux, Mac, Android, and iOS apps, but you can also follow manual setup instructions to get it running on your router.
- Lots of supported locations
- Specific servers for tasks like gaming and streaming
- Simplifies the process of keeping your internet activities private
- 45-day money-back guarantee
- Doesn’t work in China
- Can be difficult finding specific options in the menus
FASTEST CONNECTIONS:CyberGhost boasts first-class speeds and a huge network, making it a great choice for anyone looking to secure their online activities. Offers a 45-day money-back guarantee on long-term plans and a 14-day guarantee on your monthly plan.
Read our full CyberGhost review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
IPVanish is a leading Virtual Private Network with roughly 2,000 servers spread across 63 countries. In our most recent testing, it delivered average connection speeds of nearly 280 Mbps, meaning it’s quick enough for whatever online activities you have in mind. What’s more, this service allows you to protect any number of devices with a single account.
This provider clearly takes your digital privacy concerns seriously. It prevents DNS and IP leaks, keeps you safe with an internet kill switch, and uses effectively-uncrackable AES-256 encryption. IPVanish doesn’t keep any logs and because it owns its servers outright, there’s minimal chance of outside interference. Support staff are available day and night over live chat or email.
Apps are available for Windows, MacOS, iOS, and Android. Linux and certain routers have to be configured manually.
- Very fast speeds
- Use any number of devices simultaneously
- Protects your digital privacy
- Keeps no logs
- Doesn’t accept Bitcoin
- Won’t work with all streaming services
IPVanish is an excellent choice. Speedy, reliable, and great for browsing securely. A 30-day money-back guarantee is included with your annual plan.
Read our in-depth review of IPVanish.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
PrivateVPN doesn’t have thousands of servers like some of its rivals, but it does offer some in locations that others don’t, including the UAE and Turkey. Additionally, it works with a huge range of popular streaming services, from Netflix to Sling TV. With steady speeds, a 10-device limit, and user-friendly apps for all major platforms, this would be an excellent choice for many Kuwaiti users.
This service offers comprehensive protection against online censorship. First off, it has a Stealth mode that was created to help you hide traces of VPN usage in places with strict online restrictions. There’s also built-in leak protection, a customizable kill switch, and 256-bit AES encryption (with the option to lower this for faster speeds). PrivateVPN follows a true no-logs policy, making it an attractive option for those concerned about having their internet activities traced back to them.
PrivateVPN apps are available for Windows, MacOS, iOS, and Android. You’ll have to manually install this VPN on Linux systems and routers.
- Has great streaming ability
- Shields your online activities with advanced security features
- Accepts Bitcoin
- Smaller selection of servers
- Doesn’t have 24/7 live chat
PERFECT FOR STREAMING:PrivateVPN easily unblocks most streaming sites and allows torrenting. Privacy-first service that also offers a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Delve into our full review of PrivateVPN.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
Atlas VPN lets users choose from almost 50 locations including Turkey, the UAE, and Israel. Despite being a newer provider, it’s shown that it’s capable of competing with better-known VPNs: for instance, its average download speed is around 270 Mbps and it works with a huge range of online streaming services including Netflix, Disney+, and BBC iPlayer. There are even special servers for online gaming and you can connect as many devices as you like!
This VPN offers a suite of security tools, including 256-bit AES encryption, a kill switch, and servers that periodically change your IP address. Naturally, it protects against DNS and IP leaks, and refuses to log any personally-identifiable data. Support staff are on-hand 24/7 via live chat should you need assistance.
Atlas VPN has desktop (Windows, Mac, and Linux) and mobile (Android and iOS) apps. You can also find them for Amazon Fire TV and Android TV. Unfortunately, it doesn’t have browser extensions, and there’s no support for routers as yet.
- High-speed servers and unlimited bandwidth
- No cap on simultaneous connections
- Interesting security features
- Fairly small network
- No support for routers and no browser extensions
SECURE EVERY DEVICE:Atlas VPN doesn't limit the number of devices you can secure simultaneously. Boasts fantastic streaming ability. Browse with even greater security in Kuwait thanks to its NoSpy servers. 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full Atlas VPN review.
Methodology: Identifying the best VPNs for Kuwait
Unfortunately, Freedom House’s most-recent report gives the country just 37/100 for political rights and civil liberties. As such, while visiting Kuwait, travelers might not be able to take part in their favorite online activities. With an active VPN connection, however, this problem disappears, and as a bonus, you get a nice boost to your online security. Not every VPN provider is up to the task, though, which is why we looked for all of the following:
- Network: We prefer VPNs with a large selection of servers. This increases the amount of geo-restricted services you can access and means you’re more likely to have a server nearby. In this case, we specifically wanted VPN providers with servers in countries near Kuwait, like the UAE or Saudi Arabia
- Speed: No matter what you plan on doing, a slow internet connection will cause problems. Luckily, our team of experts has run hundreds of VPN speed tests, over the years, giving us the ability to say which services are the fastest and best for getting a stable connection at any given time.
- Versatility: To make sure your VPN can handle anything, we test them against online games, geo-blocked websites, and popular streaming services such as BBC iPlayer, Hulu, and Paramount+
- Security and privacy: To ensure your internet traffic remains hidden from snoopers, we require our top VPNs to have 256-bit AES encryption, DNS and IPv6 leak prevention, automatic wifi protection, a kill switch, and a strict no-logs policy
- Usability: Our top services must have apps for a wide range of platforms, live chat-based customer support, and a quick-connection button. We particularly like those with streaming-optimized servers and no connection limit.
- Cost-effectiveness: We’ll never recommend a VPN that charges more than it’s worth. Further, where possible, we strive to include information about deals, discounts, and money-back guarantees so that you pay as little as possible.
Check out our full VPN testing methodology.
VPNs in Kuwait: FAQs
Are VPNs legal in Kuwait?
Currently, VPNs are perfectly legal in Kuwait, though nearby countries like Turkey and the UAE have begun introducing restrictions on their usage, so bear this in mind if you plan on visiting.
Disclaimer: Although we’ve spent hours researching this topic, we are not legal experts. As such, nothing we’ve said above should be taken as legal advice. We encourage you to consult local laws or perhaps even seek a professional’s opinion before attempting to use a VPN in the Middle East.
Can I use a free VPN in Kuwait?
Free VPNs can seem like an attractive option but we’d advise against them, especially in places with strict online restrictions like Kuwait. For starters, we’ve often found that these provide a slow internet connection since tend to have more users than they can actually support. There’s almost always a low monthly bandwidth limit in place too, meaning they’re unreliable for long-term usage.
There’s also no way of telling whether a free VPN provider is adequately concealing your online activities. We’ve seen multiple cases of these services misleading their users about how secure they actually are or the kind of logs they keep.
Premium VPNs, on the other hand, have reputations to maintain, and are held to a higher overall standard. If you’re looking to avoid internet censorship, it doesn’t make sense to compromise where privacy is concerned. Remember: many paid VPNs offer a free trial so you can see what they’re like for yourself.
Can I get a Kuwaiti IP address?
There are quite a few VPNs with servers in the Middle East but they tend to be clustered around Egypt, Israel, or the United Arab Emirates. It’s actually surprisingly difficult to find one with servers in Kuwait. At the time of writing, only one major provider can help you get a Kuwaiti IP address — HMA (formerly known as HideMyAss).
What kind of websites are blocked in Kuwait?
Kuwait’s Communications and Information Technology Regulatory Authority (CITRA) regularly blocks access to websites containing malware, phishing scams, and copyright-infringing content.
However, the country’s law also prohibits a laundry list of content that’s completely legal elsewhere. Here’s a non-exhaustive rundown of what’s illegal to post online in Kuwait:
- Adult content
- Anti-religious content
- Gambling sites
- Anything showing contempt for the state, police, or the law
- Any website that “would prejudice public morals”
- Anything that impacts the value of the national currency
- Secrets that would impact a person’s wealth or reputation
Why should I use a VPN in Kuwait?
There are all kinds of reasons why international travelers should consider using a VPN abroad. Here are just a few ways the right VPN could help you in Kuwait, based on our years of researching them:
- Encrypts your online traffic, hiding your activities on public wifi
- Lets you spoof your location and access services from back home
- Allows you to access online banking services without being locked out
- Helps you switch regions in games where this isn’t normally possible
- Hides your real IP address while torrenting
- Prevents the sites you visit from finding your location and switching language or their content automatically