VPNs are a popular tool for accessing region-locked websites and services. However, there may be times when you want to connect to a server in a specific city. This is particularly useful if the content is restricted to that location or if you live nearby and want a VPN’s security without compromising browsing speed.
Connecting to a server in London through a VPN helps you acquire a London or UK IP address. This allows you to spoof your location and access geo-blocked content while traveling abroad. Unfortunately, not all VPNs will enable you to select a specific city. That’s why we’ve curated a list of the best VPNs for London that offer this feature.
We provide more detailed reviews of the best VPNs for London later in this post. But first, here’s a summary of each in case you’re short on time.
Best London VPNs:
- NordVPN:The best VPN for London. Over 400 servers in London. Fast speeds and unblocks BBC iPlayer and Netflix. 24/7 support. Strict no-logs policy and Double VPN servers.
TIP In our testing we found that the cheapest NordVPN plan (Standard) works perfectly for London.
- Surfshark: Best value VPN. Unlimited simultaneous connections. Servers in London with fast speeds for streaming. Security includes Double VPN servers. 24/7 live chat support.
- ExpressVPN: Servers in multiple areas of London. High-speed servers and strong unblocking. Excellent apps and 24/7 support. Secures your data with encryption.
- CyberGhost: 6,000+ servers in 90 countries. Fast servers in London and unlimited bandwidth. Includes 24/7 support and protects privacy with a strict no-logs policy.
- IPVanish: Connect as many devices as you want at once. Roughly 70 servers in London. Security includes encryption and a zero-logs policy. 24/7 support included.
- PrivateVPN: Unblocks UK and London content. Unlimited bandwidth and good streaming speeds. Easy-to-use apps and a strict no-logs policy. Accepts Bitcoin.
- VyprVPN: No-logs VPN service with over 300,000 IP addresses. Stream BBC iPlayer and ITV Hub while traveling abroad. Includes 24/7 live chat support.
WANT TO TRY THE TOP VPN RISK FREE?
NordVPN is offering a fully-featured risk-free 30-day trial if you sign up at this page. You can use the VPN rated #1 for London without restriction for a month. In other words, it's ideal for anyone taking a short trip.
There are no hidden terms—just contact support within 30 days if you decide NordVPN isn't right for you and you'll get a full refund. Start your NordVPN trial here.
There’s far more to consider than just whether a VPN has servers in London. For starters, you may want fast, unthrottled speeds for streaming. For this reason, we compiled a list of key features that each VPN must have to be considered one of the best VPNs for London:
- Servers in dozens of cities, including London, UK
- Fast servers and unlimited bandwidth for streaming
- Secures your data with high-end encryption
- Customer support via live chat and email
- Strict no-logs policy so your privacy is protected
- User-friendly apps for desktop and mobile platforms
Best VPNs for London
Here’s our list of the best VPNs for London:
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
NordVPN offers well over 400 servers in London. In fact, it has approximately 5,500 servers in total across nearly 60 countries. This makes it an excellent choice for accessing geo-blocked content including the likes of Netflix UK and BBC iPlayer. When you combine NordVPN’s network with its fast server speeds, you’ve got ideal conditions for streaming. Better still, this service also offers unlimited bandwidth so you don’t have to worry about lag while you watch.
When you use NordVPN, you even have the option of connecting to specialty servers. This may be so you can torrent (on P2P servers) or simply boost your security (on Double VPN or Onion Over VPN servers). If you have any questions, 24/7 live chat and email support is provided. NordVPN operates a strict no-logs policy which means all of your personal information stays private. You can also expect additional security features like 256-bit AES encryption, a kill switch, and DNS and IPv6 leak protection.
You’ll be able to use NordVPN via the apps for the following operating systems: Windows, Mac, Linux, Android, iOS, and Android TV. Browser extensions are offered for Chrome and Firefox. Manual installation is necessary to use NordVPN with compatible routers.
- Over 400 servers in London for unblocking Netflix and BBC iPlayer
- Lag-free streaming thanks to fast speeds and unlimited bandwidth
- Specialty servers including P2P, Double VPN, and Onion Over VPN
- Highly secure thanks to encryption and a strict no-logs policy
- Includes 24/7 support which you can access via live chat and email
- Connect up to six devices at the same time via a single account
- Suffered a data breach in 2018
BEST VPN FOR LONDON:NordVPN is our top recommendation. Over 400 London servers. High-speed connections for streaming BBC iPlayer and Netflix UK. Specialty P2P and Double VPN servers. 24/7 live chat support included. Strict no-logs policy. The 30-day money-back guarantee means you can try it risk-free.
Read our full NordVPN review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
Surfshark, with its growing network of over 3,000 servers across 65 countries, includes servers in the UK and London, enabling you to get a London IP address. This VPN provides good download speeds, making it suitable for streaming and torrenting. It also offers reliable unblocking capabilities, allowing you to stream platforms like Netflix, BBC iPlayer, and Disney+ while traveling abroad, all with unlimited bandwidth.
One of Surfshark’s standout features is its allowance for unlimited simultaneous VPN connections. It’s very user-friendly, with easy-to-navigate apps and 24/7 live chat and email support. It also offers various security features, including 256-bit AES encryption, DNS and IPv6 leak protection, and a kill switch. With Surfshark’s no-logs policy, which has undergone an independent audit, you don’t have to worry about your data being shared with anyone. MultiHop (Double VPN) servers are available for an extra layer of protection.
Surfshark’s apps are available for Windows, Mac, Linux, Android, iOS, and Amazon Fire TV. You can also download Chrome and Firefox browser extensions. While this VPN can be used with select routers, manual setup is required.
- Provides 3,000 servers in 65 countries including in London, UK
- Very reliable unblocking — works with Netflix, ITV Hub, and more
- Connect as many devices as you want at the same time
- Very strong security with MultiHop (Double VPN) servers available
- Live chat and email support are provided 24 hours a day
- Connecting to a server can occasionally be slow
BEST VALUE VPN:Surfshark offers good speeds and plenty of servers in the UK and London. Reliable unblocking of Netflix, ITV Hub, and more. Unlimited simultaneous connections per account. Double VPN servers available. 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full Surfshark review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
ExpressVPN stands out for offering servers in London, Docklands, East London, and Wembley. This is great if you’re looking for a server near your physical location for faster browsing speeds. Overall, there are over 3,000 ExpressVPN servers in 94 countries. Another highlight of this VPN is that it’s extremely fast (it averaged 135 Mbps in our tests). Add to this the unlimited bandwidth and you’ve got an excellent VPN for streaming Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, and more.
This VPN is highly suitable for beginners due to its overall ease of use and excellent 24/7 live chat and email support. When you connect to a server, your internet traffic is secured with 256-bit AES encryption. Further security features include a kill switch and protection from DNS, IPv6, and WebRTC leaks. It’s worth knowing that ExpressVPN is headquartered in the British Virgin Islands where there are no mandatory data retention laws. Further, it doesn’t keep identifying logs of its users, which all but ensures your privacy.
If you sign up with ExpressVPN, you’ll have access to apps for Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, and Linux. Browser extensions are available for Chrome and Firefox. This is one of the better VPNs for routers as it comes with its own custom firmware.
- Servers in multiple London locations (and 94 countries total)
- High-speed servers and unlimited bandwidth for streaming
- Works with the likes of Netflix, Amazon Prime, and BBC iPlayer
- Excellent apps combined with 24/7 live chat and email support
- Strong security thanks to its use of high-end encryption
- More expensive than other providers on this list
HIGH-SPEED SERVERS:ExpressVPN has servers in multiple London locations. Very fast speeds and unlimited bandwidth for lag-free streaming. Excellent apps and 24/7 support. Secure with encryption and doesn’t keep identifying logs. 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full ExpressVPN review.
Money-back guarantee: 45 DAYS
CyberGhost is well worth considering if you’re looking for a VPN with a high number of servers, be it in London or globally. Of its over 6,400 servers in 90 countries, over 400 are located in London. More servers mean a reduced risk of heavy server load. As such, you can expect good speeds, making this a strong choice both for browsing and streaming. This VPN also has unlimited bandwidth so you won’t experience much in the way of lag or buffering.
With CyberGhost, you can connect up to seven devices simultaneously via a single account. Also included with your subscription is access to live chat and email support which you can contact 24 hours a day. Aside from a strict no-logs policy, CyberGhost has 256-bit AES encryption, DNS and IPv6 leak protection, an ad-blocker, and an automatic kill switch feature. If anonymity is particularly important to you, note that CyberGhost accepts Bitcoin as a payment method.
CyberGhost apps are available for desktop (Windows, Mac, and Linux) and mobile (Android and iOS). You’ll also find apps for Amazon Fire TV and Android TV. Chrome and Firefox browser extensions are also offered. However, routers require manual configuration.
- More than 400 servers in London and over 6,400 globally
- High-speed connections for streaming without interruption
- Use on up to seven devices at once per account
- No-logs policy ensures your privacy is protected
- Contact live chat and email support 24/7
- Unable to bypass the Great Firewall of China
400+ SERVERS IN LONDON:CyberGhost has over 400 servers in London and some 6,400 worldwide. High-speed connections and unlimited bandwidth. Use on up to 7 devices at the same time. Strong security and includes a strict no-logs policy. 45-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full CyberGhost review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
IPVanish is ideal for sharing with family because it lets you connect as many devices as you want at once. When it comes to servers, you’ll find roughly 1,600 in total, nearly 70 of which are in London. This means you’ll be able to unblock plenty of local London and UK geo-restricted content. For example, IPVanish works well with ITV Hub. Server speeds are more than fast enough for streaming, plus IPVanish even allows torrenting.
In using IPVanish, you’ll be able to maintain online anonymity. This is in part thanks to the service’s no-logs policy and use of 256-bit AES encryption to keep your data secure. However, there’s also DNS leak protection and a kill switch. Thanks to this VPN’s clean and well-organized apps, it’s very easy to use, even for beginners. Connecting to a server is quick while you even have access to live chat and email support, 24/7. Little data is required for signup other than an email address.
To connect to an IPVanish server, download one of the apps for Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, or Amazon Fire TV. You can use this VPN with Linux and routers but this does require manual setup.
- Offers 70 servers in London for unblocking ITV while abroad
- Unlimited bandwidth for streaming and torrenting without restriction
- Connect an unlimited number of simultaneous devices per account
- Uses high-end encryption to protect from hackers and snoopers
- Operates out of the US which is a Five Eyes member
- Doesn’t accept Bitcoin or any other anonymous payment method
UNLIMITED CONNECTIONS:IPVanish allows you to secure all of your devices at once. It also has good, consistent speeds for streaming. Roughly 70 servers in London. Provides 24/7 support via live chat. Zero-logs policy included. 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full IPVanish review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
PrivateVPN is highly suitable for streaming. While it only offers around 150 servers in all, you’ll find these in 60 countries including the UK and, more specifically, London. Once you get an IP address for London with PrivateVPN, you’ll find that its fast server speeds and unlimited bandwidth means you can stream in 1080p HD and even 4K without interruption. Indeed, this VPN has strong unblocking ability and works with both Netflix UK and BBC iPlayer.
We particularly recommend this service to first-time VPN users. That’s because its desktop and mobile apps are quick and easy to navigate. Its email support offers faster replies than most VPNs we’ve tested while there’s also live chat support (though it’s not quite available 24/7). To keep you safe online, PrivateVPN uses 256-bit AES encryption as well as DNS and IPv6 leak protection and a kill switch. You don’t need to worry about your data being shared with third parties because it also has a strict no-logs policy.
To use PrivateVPN, download an app for Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, or Linux. There’s also the option to use this VPN with your router although manual configuration is required.
- Fast servers in London (and in dozens of countries worldwide)
- Reliably unblocks Netflix UK, BBC iPlayer, and ITV Hub
- Easy-to-use apps and quick-to-reply live chat and email support
- Strict no-logs policy means you can browse anonymously
- Smaller network of just 150 servers
- No browser extensions available
RELIABLE UNBLOCKING:PrivateVPN works with BBC iPlayer, ITV Hub, Netflix UK, and more. Fast servers in London for streaming and torrenting. User-friendly apps and strong security with encryption and a true no-logs policy. 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full PrivateVPN review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
VyprVPN is an established VPN provider with servers in London. Its server network is made up of over 700 servers across dozens of countries. Furthermore, it states that it has over 300,000 IP addresses on offer. This allows you to spoof your location and unblock a wide range of geo-restricted websites and services. If you’re traveling abroad (outside the UK), you’ll still be able to access streaming services including BBC iPlayer, ITV Hub, and Netflix.
If you choose VyprVPN, you’ll have 24/7 access to live chat and email support. The apps allow you to connect to the fastest available server as well as sort servers by speed. Unlike most VPNs, VyprVPN has been audited by an independent third party to verify its no-logs policy. As such, you can feel confident that your data is safe from snoopers. It’s further secured with 256-bit AES encryption, DNS leak protection, and a kill switch.
Access servers in London with VyprVPN apps for Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, Amazon Fire TV, and Android TV. If you want to use it with Linux or a router, you’ll need to configure this manually.
- Servers in dozens of countries including in London, UK
- Stream BBC iPlayer, Netflix, and more
- Contact live chat and email support 24/7
- Independently audited no-logs policy
- Only offers around 700 servers in total
- Not quite as fast as most of the VPNs on this list
VERIFIED NO-LOGS POLICY:VyprVPN lets you get a London IP address and works with popular streaming services such as BBC iPlayer. Provides 24/7 live chat and email support while its no-logs policy has been independently audited. 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full VyprVPN review.
How to use a VPN in London
If this is your first time using a VPN, you may be unsure as to how to go about connecting to a London server. To make things easier, we’ve provided some step-by-step instructions below.
Here’s how you can use a VPN in London:
- First, you’ll need to sign up with a VPN that has servers in London. We particularly recommend NordVPN.
- Download and install the app that’s compatible with your device. Some of the VPNs recommended above also offer browser extensions.
- Log in to the VPN app. You should find servers sorted by country. Search for the United Kingdom before connecting to a server in London.
- You now have a UK and London IP address. This allows you to access content that’s only available in that location.
- Still can’t unblock a particular website or service? You may need to clear your cookies or connect to another server. Otherwise, try contacting your VPN’s support.
Finding the best VPNs for London: our methodology
Due to the size and popularity of London, many people want to connect to servers in the city. However, there are many VPNs that offer servers in London. We used our methodology to narrow down the options which we explain below:
- Servers in London: It goes without saying that the best VPNs for London offer servers in London. Many offer servers in other UK cities as well such as Edinburgh, Glasgow, and Manchester. The closer the server to your location, the faster and more reliable the connection is likely to be.
- Speed: While it’s all well and good to have servers in London, they must offer speeds fast enough for streaming, torrenting, and online gaming. Many VPNs (particularly free VPNs) fall short in this area. Our speed tests have identified the fastest VPNs available. All of these VPNs offer unlimited bandwidth.
- Unblocking: Another area in which VPNs can vary wildly is their ability to bypass geographic restrictions on content. Geo-blocking is particularly common among streaming services. However, the best VPNs for London work with the likes of Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, Disney+, and more.
- Security: Your VPN should encrypt your data so that it can’t be seen by hackers or snoopers. Aside from AES encryption, we look for VPNs that offer a kill switch and provide DNS leak protection. If that’s not enough, some even have specialty Double VPN servers for two or more layers of encryption.
- Privacy: Unfortunately, some VPNs keep logs of your browsing activity. This data is then sold to third parties, compromising your online anonymity. We have studied 140 VPN logging policies to find those that protect your privacy. Most of these VPNs let you pay in Bitcoin (ideal when combined with a mixing service).
- Ease of use: Regardless of how many features a VPN offers, it should be quick and easy to set up and use. There should be apps for all major operating systems and in most cases you can also find browser extensions. Need help? We’ve sought VPNs with 24-hour support via live chat as well as email.
- Value for money: Most VPNs don’t offer all of the above but many work out to be more expensive than the best VPNs for London. Note that we offer discount coupons for all of the best VPNs for London. Better still, they all come with money-back guarantees of at least 30 days so you can try them out risk-free.
We go into greater depth regarding how we test VPNs at Comparitech in our VPN testing methodology post. There you can find out more about how we test for speed, DNS leaks, and more.
Best VPNs for London: FAQs
Why do I need a VPN in London?
Most region-locked content from the UK can be unblocked by getting a UK IP address. This means that you can connect to a server in any UK city be it London, Manchester, or Glasgow. For example, streaming services such as BBC iPlayer, ITV Hub, and Netflix UK only require a UK IP address as opposed to an IP address for London. However, there may be some websites or services that can only be accessed with a local London IP address.
If you’re located in London and want the security of a VPN without sacrificing speed, connecting to the nearest possible server is the solution. Regarding security, many people use VPNs to protect their privacy and browse anonymously. The UK is a Five Eyes member and carries out extensive surveillance while ISPs may be required to log and retain the browsing data for up to 12 months. By connecting to a VPN in London (or indeed any location), your data is encrypted, ensuring it cannot be compromised.
Can I use a free VPN in London?
You can find free VPNs that offer servers in London. However, there are a few reasons why you should avoid them. Most free VPNs only have a small network of servers. When combined with a high number of users, the result is slow speeds. This is particularly problematic for streaming where you’ll notice excessive lag and buffering. It’s also worth noting that many free VPNs can’t unblock the likes of BBC iPlayer and Netflix UK.
A VPN should encrypt your data and protect you from leaks. Unfortunately, some free VPNs fail to do this. Worse still, some free VPNs actually log your data before selling it to third parties. In contrast, the best VPNs for the UK use high-end encryption and have strict no-logs policies. This means they shouldn’t have any data to provide, even if requested. As such, you can use them to browse the web anonymously, without having to worry about compromising your identity.
How do UK VPNs unblock Netflix?
UK VPNs unblock Netflix by masking and replacing your IP address with a UK IP address. This makes Netflix’s servers believe you’re accessing the service from within the UK, allowing you to view UK-specific content.
Can a VPN connection be tracked?
While VPNs significantly enhance online privacy by encrypting your data and masking your IP address, they are not completely invincible. Governments and highly skilled hackers may potentially track VPN connections, but it requires substantial resources and advanced skills. However, using a reliable VPN service with a strict no-logs policy can further minimize this risk.
Why does a VPN slow down my internet connection?
A VPN can slow down your internet connection due to the encryption process it uses to secure your data. The distance between you and the VPN server can also impact speed. If the server is far away, it may take longer for data to be sent and received, resulting in slower speeds. However, a high-quality VPN can minimize this slowdown.