The Sky-owned Now TV streaming service is region-blocked if you try to access content when traveling abroad. A Virtual Private Network (VPN) will allow you to bypass these geographic restrictions while on vacation, but only some VPNs work with Now TV.
NordVPN is our top recommendation for accessing Now TV, but there’s always a slim chance that you could run into issues. We’ve taken a look at some of the more common problems, as well as listed various solutions to get your VPN working with Now streams.
Why isn’t NordVPN working with Now TV?
Why is NordVPN not working with Now TV? If you’re connected from overseas, there are a few issues you can run into.
Here are some potential reasons why NordVPN isn’t working with Now:
- A browser cookie could be telling Now that you’re in a different location
- The IP address you’ve attempted to connect with has already been blacklisted by Now TV
- You need to be connected to a VPN server in the UK to access Now TV streams
- Mobile users may have a GPS location that doesn’t match the IP address assigned by the VPN
Here’s how to fix NordVPN not working with Now TV:
- Clearing the browser cache and removing cookies is where you should begin. Make sure to reload the browser after so the changes can take effect. Now will forget any saved IP address or location information.
- Ensure that you’re connected to a server in the UK. This will give you a UK-based IP address to bypass restrictions.
- If Now still isn’t working, switch to another UK server and try again.
- If that doesn’t work, we’d advise you to contact the NordVPN support team to find out which server to use or why you can’t log in.
TRY OUR TOP-RATED VPN FOR FREE
NordVPN is offering a fully-featured risk-free 30-day trial if you sign up at this page. You can use the VPN rated #1 for NowTV with no restrictions for a month—great if you want to binge your favorite show or are going on a short trip.
There are no hidden terms—just contact support within 30 days if you decide NordVPN isn't right for you and you'll get a full refund. Start your NordVPN trial here.
How to sign in to Now TV with NordVPN
Sky is one of the more stringent services in terms of blocking international users, but the process for accessing Now TV with NordVPN is quick and painless.
Here’s how to sign in to Now TV with NordVPN:
- Sign up with a VPN provider, and make a note of your login details. (NordVPN is our top recommendation for Now TV, although the likes of Surfshark and ExpressVPN are viable alternatives.)
- Next, download the Nord app for the device you’re using to stream Now TV. The provider has apps for Windows, Mac, Linux, Android, iOS, or Android TV. (NordVPN also has browser extensions for Chrome, Edge, and Firefox.)
- Open the NordVPN app, and sign in.
- Select one of their UK server locations.
- Open Now TV via the website or app, and sign in. You should now be able to watch content, no matter your physical location.
- If you do run into any issues, make sure to try the potential solutions listed above.
Which are the best VPNs for streaming Now TV?
Many VPNs will have problems unblocking Now TV, although some can access the streaming platform consistently. Our testing shows that NordVPN is the best VPN for Hulu, but we’ve also listed some great alternatives below.
Here are the best VPNs for streaming Now TV:
- NordVPN: The best VPN for Now TV. 550+ high-speed UK servers in Edinburgh, Glasgow, London, and Manchester. P2P and Double VPN, strict no-logs policy, 24/7 support, 30-day money back guarantee.
- Surfshark: Best value Now TV VPN. Capable speeds, unblocks Now and other streaming platforms easily. Unlimited simultaneous connections, affordable deals, and a no-logs policy.
- ExpressVPN: Brilliant speeds, experts at unblocking sites and services in the UK and beyond. Offers a proprietary protocol (Lightway), and strong security features.
- CyberGhost: Massive server network (8,800+), works with seven devices simultaneously, great speeds, unblocks everything from Now TV to Hulu.
- PrivateVPN: Another great VPN for streaming Now TV, along with ITV Hub, iPlayer, and Disney+. Slick apps, capable speeds, and a simple no-logs policy.
- Hotspot Shield: Multiple UK servers, unblocks Now streams. Solid speeds, comes packaged with lots of security features including a password manager and a spam call blocker.
- VyprVPN: Whether it’s Now, Netflix, BBC iPlayer, Hulu, Amazon Prime Video, or something else, VyprVPN is a great pick for bypassing geo-blocks. Audited no-logs service.
NordVPN & Now TV FAQ
What can I watch on Now TV?
As you might have guessed, Now TV gives access to a range of Sky channels depending on the package you’ve selected. Here’s a list of Now’s live entertainment channels:
- Sky Atlantic
- Sky Max
- Sky Witness
- Sky Nature
- Sky Comedy
- Sky History
- Sky Crime
- Sky Documentaries
- Sky Showcase
- Comedy Central
- NBC News NOW
- Sky Sci-Fi
The streaming service has subscriptions for Sky Cinema, Now TV Kids, and Hayu.
Now TV offers sports content, including live Premier League games. You’ll also be able to stream content via catch-up.
Why is Now TV blocked from abroad?
Now TV is only available in the UK. The streaming platform is owned by Sky, which holds the rights to broadcast various programs in the region. For example, Sky Atlantic is ‘the home of HBO in the UK’. The deal gives Sky the exclusive rights to broadcast first-run and currently-airing HBO programmes in the UK and other European markets through 2024.
In order to protect these copyright agreements, Sky region-locks content on both Now TV and Sky Go.
Are there any free VPNs that work with Now TV?
Yes, but with caveats. There is likely to be a free VPN or two that can access Now TV, but we’d be wary. The majority of free services lack UK servers. They might limit your bandwidth, or cap connection speeds.
Worse still, using a free VPN is also dangerous from a security perspective. Rather than added anonymity, there’s a chance that it could leak your data. A 2020 study of iOS VPN applications found that nearly 40 percent leaked personally identifiable information. Free providers can also log and sell your personal information.
How does Now TV know I am using a VPN?
Websites and services will check your IP address, as it contains approximate location data. This is what Now will use to see if you’re in the UK. (The same is true for everyone from BBC iPlayer to Netflix.)
A VPN will assign you a new IP address that corresponds with the server location you’ve selected for as long as you’re connected. You’ll be able to select a UK location, and you’ll be given an IP address which can be used to watch Now TV with no restrictions.
Will I get into trouble for using a VPN with Now TV?
However, it’s unlikely that you’ll be banned if Now detects VPN usage. Instead, the streaming platform won’t let you play videos until you turn the VPN off.