My5 content is region-locked, which means you can only watch if you’re in the UK. If you try loading a video from anywhere else, you’ll see a message saying, “We’re sorry, but you must be located in the British Isles to view this content.” This is a big problem for people who want to stay up-to-date with their favorite shows whilst traveling abroad, but luckily, you can still stream My5 from overseas with a VPN.
VPNs let you route your network traffic through servers all over the world. When you connect, you’re assigned a new IP address. This makes it appear as if you’re located elsewhere, bypassing the content restriction. Further, as VPNs encrypt your traffic, they can be used to keep your online activities away from the prying eyes of hackers, your Internet Service Provider (ISP), and any other snoopers.
Below, you can see a quick list of the best VPNs to stream My5 abroad. For more information about each VPN, scroll down for our in-depth summaries.
Best VPNs to watch My5 abroad:
- NordVPN: Our #1 choice to stream My5 abroad. Over 400 servers in the UK. Works with My5, BBC iPlayer, ITV Hub, Netflix, and more. No-logs VPN with 24/7 support and a risk-free 30-day money-back guarantee.
- Surfshark: Best budget VPN for My5. Fast thanks to its excellent WireGuard implementation. Outstanding servers in the UK to watch British TV streams abroad. Allows unlimited simultaneous connections.
- ExpressVPN: High-speed servers in multiple British cities. Works with My5, All4, BBC iPlayer, and Netflix. Secures your data with encryption and offers 24/7 support.
- CyberGhost: The best choice for beginners. Plenty of UK IPs to watch My5 outside of the UK. Connect up to 7 devices. No logs policy and military-grade encryption.
- IPVanish: Some of the fastest speeds we’ve tested. Works with My5 and even Netflix US. Unlimited simultaneous connections. Secure and with 24/7 support.
- Private Internet Access: Servers in the UK. Lets you connect an unlimited number of devices simultaneously. No-logs policy. Strong encryption.
- PrivateVPN: Fast VPN service for streaming My5. Excellent choice for torrenting. Strong security and beginner-friendly apps. Secure up to 10 devices.
- AtlasVPN: A cheap and fast VPN that is excellent for streaming British TV such as My5. It also works well with Netflix. Unlimited devices and MultiHop servers.
WANT TO TRY THE TOP MY5 VPN RISK FREE?
NordVPN is offering a fully-featured risk-free 30-day trial if you sign up at this page. You can use the VPN rated #1 for My5 with no restrictions for a month – great if you want to watch My5 content on holiday.
There are no hidden terms—just contact support within 30 days if you decide NordVPN isn’t right for you and you’ll get a full refund. Start your NordVPN trial here.
How to watch My5 abroad with a VPN
New to VPNs? Not sure where to start? Don’t worry, it’s not as hard as you might think. Just follow the steps below, and you’ll be streaming in no time.
Here’s how to unblock My5 with a VPN:
- Start by signing up for a suitable VPN service (we recommend NordVPN).
- Download and install the relevant version of the app for your device.
- Open the app and log in.
- Connect to one of the VPN’s British servers to gain a UK IP address.
- Try watching video on My5. It should load almost immediately, but if it doesn’t, try clearing your browser’s cache and cookies, then refresh the page.
The best VPNs for My5 – At a glance
We’ve compared the most important features for the top VPNs here. Prefer to read the in-depth reviews? Start with NordVPN – our #1 choice for My5.
|No value||NordVPN||Surfshark||ExpressVPN||CyberGhost||IPVanish||Private Internet Access|
|Website||NordVPN.com||Surfshark.com||ExpressVPN.com||Cyberghost.com||IPVanish.com||PrivateInternetAccess.com||Ranking for My5||1||2||3||4||5||6||Avg Speed (UK)||100+ Mbps||100+ Mbps||100+ Mbps||25 Mbps||100+ Mbps||25 Mbps||Other services||Hulu, HBO, Amazon Prime, Disney+, ITV Hub, BBC iPlayer, and more||Hulu, Amazon Prime, Disney+ and others||HBO, BBC iPlayer, ITV Hub, and others||Hulu, Disney+, ITV Hub, and others||Hulu, Disney+, ITV Hub, and others||Amazon Prime, Disney+, and others||Total number of servers||5,700+||3,200||Undisclosed||7000+||2,200+||Undisclosed||Simultaneous Connections||6||Unlimited||5||7||Unlimited||Unlimited|
|Best deal (per month)||$3.19|
SAVE 61% + 3 months FREE
Get 2 Months FREE with a 2-year plan
SAVE: 49% on the annual plan
SAVE up to 84% on the 2 year plan + 3 months free
SAVE 74% on the 2 year plan
SAVE 82% on the 2 yr plan + 500GB cloud storage solution
Best VPNs for My5
Choosing a VPN can be a daunting prospect: hundreds of services are vying for your attention, and each of them is slightly different. Some prioritize security above all else, while others boast larger networks or faster speeds. When researching the best VPNs for My5, we looked for services with the following characteristics:
- Able to unblock My5 and other popular streaming platforms from abroad
- Uses powerful encryption and offers additional security features
- Has multiple servers in the UK
- Logs no data which could identify you, or better still, no data at all
- Has strong multi-platform support
For more information about how we test and recommend VPNs, please check out our VPN testing methodology article. For now, here are the ones that topped our list.
Here are the best VPNs for watching My5 abroad:
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
NordVPN is our top VPN for accessing My5 from anywhere. It currently has over 400 servers in the UK and more than 5,000 worldwide. It’s a very versatile VPN with high speeds and specific servers optimized for P2P file-sharing and enhanced privacy. This service allows up to six simultaneous connections, and as it can unblock platforms like Netflix, My5, and Hulu, you can use it to stream whatever you want from whichever device you prefer.
NordVPN uses 256-bit encryption and protects against port forwarding, IPv6, WebRTC, and DNS leaks. However, it also includes a range of options unique to this service, such as Tor over VPN and double VPN functionality, as well as the ability to choose which apps are affected by the kill switch. NordVPN doesn’t log any personally identifiable information and accepts Bitcoin payments, making it a strong choice for security-conscious users.
This VPN includes Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, Linux, and Amazon Fire TV apps as well as Chrome, Firefox, and Edge browser extensions. It also works with select network routers, but you’ll have to install it manually.
- Servers in 60 countries, including UK servers that work with My5
- Reliable 24/7 live chat support
- Built-in ad blocker and malware protection
- Also works with Netflix US, Sky TV, BT Sports, and BBC iPlayer
- Advanced privacy features, and a no-logs policy
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- Quite expensive if you get a one-month subscription
BEST OPTION:NordVPN is a great VPN. It scores highly for privacy and unblocks most restricted content making it popular for streaming. There’s a huge number of servers to choose from. Includes a 30-day money-back guarantee so you can try it risk-free.
Read our full NordVPN review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
Surfshark is a provider based in the British Virgin Islands where it isn’t subject to data retention laws. It’s a hugely popular service that’s ideal for gaining online freedom and privacy. Overall, it has more than 3,000 servers available across 100 countries, the UK included. With Surfshark, you’ll be able to stream not only My5 but more than 30 Netflix libraries. There’s even a free Smart DNS service to stream UK TV channels on more devices.
You can install Surfshark on an unlimited number of devices. These devices will benefit from security features including 256-bit AES encryption as well as DNS leak protection, a kill switch, and even MultiHop servers and an ad blocker. Surfshark is trustworthy, thanks to its watertight no-logs policy. This ensures it never retains any records of what its users do online.
To use Surfshark, simply download an app for Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, Linux, or Amazon Fire TV. Alternatively, you have the option of downloading a Chrome or Firefox browser extension. Use with compatible routers requires manual setup.
- Servers in 100 countries
- Fast enough to watch My5 and other UK TV streams
- Free Smart DNS service is thrown in
- Connect an unlimited number of devices
- Military-grade encryption and a no-logs policy
- Sometimes slow to connect when switching servers
BEST BUDGET OPTION:Surfshark is the best budget VPN to stream My5. Use the VPN on as many devices as you like. Lots of advanced features. Allows torrenting. Works with Netflix US, BBC iPlayer, Hulu, and more. 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full Surfshark review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
ExpressVPN has more than 3,000 servers across the world, including in London, Manchester, Glasgow, and Edinburgh. It’s fast enough to stream live content, even in HD, so My5’s on-demand library doesn’t pose much of a challenge. ExpressVPN can even securely access streaming platforms many other VPNs struggle with, like Netflix, BBC iPlayer, and Amazon Prime Video.
This VPN uses a combination of 256-bit AES encryption, a kill switch (desktop apps only), perfect forward secrecy, and protection against DNS and IPv6 leaks to keep your traffic secure at all times. ExpressVPN doesn’t log any information that could be used to identify you and accepts Bitcoin payments for added anonymity. You can reach customer support 24/7 over live chat in case of any problems.
ExpressVPN comes with apps for Windows, Mac, Linux, Android, iOS, Android TV, and Amazon Fire TV. Chrome and Firefox extensions are also available. Supported routers require manual configuration, but this VPN service provides custom firmware.
- Apps for all popular platforms
- Servers in 94 countries that are perfect for streaming
- Lightway protocol for HD streaming without buffering
- Unblocks 20+ Netflix catalogs, My5, and much more
- 24/7 live chat support
- 5 simultaneous connections only
- A little pricey compared to others on this list
GREAT ALL-ROUNDER FOR MY5:ExpressVPN is highly reliable. Offers blazing fast speeds, great security features and the ability to securely access platforms such as Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, and BBC iPlayer. Includes a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full ExpressVPN review.
Money-back guarantee: 45 DAYS
CyberGhost lets you choose a specific server manually – there are more than 9,000 in total, with 700+ in the UK. Alternatively, you can be assigned a server based on whether you’d like to browse anonymously, safely file-share, or unblock streaming abroad. CyberGhost unblocks popular platforms like Sky Go and All4 with a single click. Although My5 isn’t listed, we can confirm it unblocks it without any problems.
CyberGhost features an always-on kill switch that stops all web traffic should your connection drop unexpectedly. There’s also 256-bit encryption, as well as DNS and IPv6 leak protection, to ensure your online activities remain private. This service accepts Bitcoin and doesn’t log any personally identifiable information, meaning you can sign up and browse almost completely anonymously. 24/7 customer support is available via live chat.
CyberGhost apps are available for Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, Linux, and Amazon Fire TV devices. It also offers a free Chrome extension. Wireless routers are supported, but manual configuration is required.
- Great for Netflix, All4, My5, Disney+, and Player
- Over 9,000 servers in 90 countries and 750+ in the UK
- Good speeds for streaming lag and buffer-free
- No logs policy and robust AES encryption
- Generous 45-day money-back guarantee
- Fewer advanced features
- Doesn’t work in China
750+ UK SERVERS:CyberGhost works with My5. Easy to use apps and high speeds make this a popular VPN. Works well with My5 and Netflix, and most other British and American streaming platforms. Includes a 45-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full CyberGhost review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
IPVanish has more than 2,000 servers available. Its UK servers are located in multiple cities: London, Manchester, Birmingham, and Glasgow. You can use these servers to unblock My5 outside the UK. In fact, this VPN can even be used to securely access Netflix from abroad. The speed of IPVanish is particularly impressive and lets you stream in 1080p HD or even 4K resolution without issue.
An IPVanish subscription includes 24-hour access to live chat and email support. What’s more, you can secure as many devices as you like simultaneously. Of course, it also offers all of the essential security features to protect you from hackers and snoopers. This includes 256-bit AES encryption, a kill switch, and DNS leak protection. It also operates a no-logs policy which has been independently audited.
IPVanish apps are available for the following: Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, and Amazon Fire TV. Linux and several router firmwares are supported, but you’ll need to manually configure a connection in these cases.
- Servers in multiple UK cities for unblocking My5
- Connect as many devices as you like simultaneously
- No-logs policy has been independently audited
- 24-hour support available via live chat and email
- Operates out of the US, which is a Five Eyes member
- Doesn’t offer an app for Linux
AUDITED NO-LOGS POLICY:IPVanish is more than fast enough for streaming in 1080p and even 4K resolution. Works with My5 and Netflix US. Connect all of your devices at once. Independently audited no-logs policy. 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full IPVanish review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
Private Internet Access is a US-based provider that has thousands of servers in 80 countries. This includes servers in the UK that work to watch All5 and other British TV platforms. It offers superb speeds for streaming and can securely access Netflix US. One of our favorite things about PIA VPN is that it allows unlimited simultaneous connections. This represents outstanding value for families or those who own many streaming devices.
In terms of security, you get robust AES encryption and a lot of customizability. It also has a no-logs policy it has proven in court. The apps have a kill switch, DNS leak protection, and even split tunneling. If you have any trouble, you can contact live chat support 24/7. Unlike most VPNs, Private Internet Access even offers you the option to get a dedicated IP address, albeit this does cost extra.
- No-logs policy and customizable encryption options
- Works to watch My5
- Servers in 80+ countries
- Struggles with some international streaming platforms
- Based in the US
ADVANCED SECURITY OPTIONS:PIA is a fast and reliable VPN with AES encryption and a kill-switch. Works to stream UK TV abroad. Servers in 80+ countries. Allows torrenting. Split tunneling feature. 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full Private Internet Access review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
PrivateVPN might not have the largest network, but it does have servers in London and Manchester. This VPN service also provides higher speeds than many of its rivals. This alone would make it good for streaming, but it also has excellent streaming capabilities. With PrivateVPN, you’ll be able to access services like Netflix, My5, Hulu, and YouTube TV from anywhere in the world.
This VPN doesn’t keep any session or connection logs, so details of your activities can’t be divulged, even if requested. It uses 256-bit encryption and a kill switch by default and protects against DNS, WebRTC, and IPv6 leaks. PrivateVPN excels at customer service: support is available via live chat, and with your permission, the staff can even remotely configure the software for you.
PrivateVPN has apps for Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, and Fire TV devices. It works with Linux platforms and wireless routers via manual installation.
- WireGuard protocol and a no-logs policy
- Works with over a dozen Netflix regions
- Servers in Britain that unblock My5
- Much smaller network of servers
- Customer service is not quite 24/7
GREAT FOR NETFLIX:PrivateVPN unblocks My5and plenty of other streaming platforms. Works with almost every country’s version of Netflix we tested. It offers fast speeds but has a relatively small number of servers. 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full PrivateVPN review.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
Atlas VPN is a service based in the US that is excellent for streaming All5 and other British TV platforms. It only has servers in 45 countries, but those servers are spread across the globe to allow you to access lots of popular services, including British TV platforms like Now TV, BT Sport, All4, iPlayer, and Disney+. You can also share your account with friends and family because it allows unlimited connections.
When you connect to an AtlasV PN server, you can expect security in the form of 256-bit AES encryption, protection from DNS leaks, and a kill switch feature. If that’s not enough, connecting to one of its MultiHop servers ensures you receive two or more layers of encryption. This VPN provider operates a no-logs policy and provides users with live chat and email support around the clock.
Atlas VPN apps are available for Windows, Mac, Linux, Android, iOS, and Amazon Fire TV. However, it doesn’t offer any browser extensions and there’s no support for routers either.
- Works with many sites including My5, Netflix, and Amazon Prime
- Unlimited simultaneous connections
- Apps for all popular devices
- Fewer servers than most VPNs on this list
- Doesn’t offer router support
SUPERB FOR STREAMING:AtlasVPN implements fast WireGuard connections for HD streaming. Servers in 45 countries, including the UK to watch My5 abroad. Works with Hulu, Netflix, and more. Unlimited simultaneous connections. 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full AtlasVPN review.
Finding the best VPNs for watching My5 from abroad: our methodology
We understand that your priority is to unblock and stream My5 regardless of your location. While we looked for VPNs that work with the streaming platform, we also tested them in other areas including their speed (very important for streaming!) and overall security.
Below, we provide further detail regarding our methodology for finding the best VPNs for watching My5 from overseas:
- UK servers: First and foremost, we only select VPNs that have servers in the UK. This is important because My5 is only available in the UK. As such, you’ll need a UK IP address to access it from abroad. Note that all of the VPNs we’ve chosen have servers in dozens of countries, providing a high level of flexibility.
- Speed: A streaming-friendly VPN must not only offer strong unblocking ability, but also high-speed connections. This allows you to stream without performance issues such as lag or buffering. Our regular speed tests have helped us identify the fastest VPNs for use with My5.
- Security: There’s no reason for a VPN to focus only on speed and ignore the security side of things. At a minimum, we look for VPNs that provide military-grade encryption to keep your data safe. There should also be protection from DNS leaks and a kill switch feature.
- Privacy: Not every VPN protects your privacy. Some actually keep identifying logs of users which are then sold to the highest bidder. To avoid this, you need a VPN that operates a true no-logs policy. We’ve studied over 140 VPN logging policies to find the VPNs that offer exactly that.
- Ease of use: In looking for the above, we spend extensive time testing each VPN’s apps. That way, we can also ensure they’re beginner-friendly, allowing you to connect to a server in a single click (or tap of a screen!). Note that all of the VPNs recommended also include live chat support should you need help.
- Value for money: Finally, we don’t expect all of the above to break the bank. There are plenty of overpriced VPNs on the market that are lacking in key areas. Included in this post are discount coupons so you can get the best deal. Remember, each VPN also includes a risk-free money-back guarantee.
If you’d like to find out how we test a VPN in terms of speed or security (such as looking for DNS leaks), take a look at our VPN testing methodology post.
Watching My5 with a VPN: FAQs
Can I watch live TV on My5?
Yes, My5 allows users to watch live and on-demand content completely free-of-charge, provided you’re in the UK. You’ll also need a TV license to access any of the live streams legally, although My5 itself doesn’t actually make this as clear as it could.
Can I sign up for My5 from abroad?
Absolutely, although during the registration process, you’ll be asked to enter a valid postcode. Don’t worry about this, any UK postcode will work, and My5 doesn’t use it to verify your location. Once you’ve verified your email address and connected to a British VPN server, you’ll be able to stream My5 without any issues.
Is My5 free?
My5 is completely free to watch, and you don’t even have to create an account (though doing so allows you to add shows to your list so that you can find them again later).
Will I get into trouble for using a VPN to stream My5 abroad?
Using a VPN to get around My5’s regional restrictions isn’t against any laws, though it is forbidden by the platform’s terms of service. Still, we’ve tested dozens of VPNs with My5, and in most cases, the service never even noticed we were using one.
In the unlikely event that My5 detects your VPN, it’ll simply ask you to turn it off (or alternatively, it might fail to load properly). You can always ask your VPN’s customer support team for assistance, though, and they’ll usually be able to point you toward a server that is confirmed to work.
What can I watch on My5?
My5 features on-demand content from five different channels: Channel 5, 5USA, 5Star, 5Action, and 5SELECT. Below, we’ve listed some of My5’s most popular titles:
- Home and Away
- Geordie Shore
- Teen Mom UK
- Rich Kids Go Skint
- The Vicar of Dibley
- Ex On The Beach
- You Are What You Eat
- GPs Behind Closed Doors
- The Gadget Show
- The Yorkshire Vet
Can I use a free VPN to watch My5 from abroad?
Streaming My5 online with a free VPN
At first glance, free VPNs can seem like a good idea, but actually, they come with several major disadvantages. First of all, they’re a poor choice for streaming. With more users than their limited server networks can adequately support, you’re likely to experience extremely slow browsing speeds, video that takes a long time to buffer, and possibly even random disconnections. Also, free VPNs are usually the first to be blocked by streaming platforms, so there’s no guarantee you’d be able to watch at all.
Free VPNs aren’t run out of the goodness of a company’s heart. Like any business, their primary goal is to make money, albeit in a slightly roundabout way. Some use an ad-supported model, but others actively undermine the benefits of their own software by gathering details about your online habits using tracking cookies. Once enough data has been collected, it can then be sold to third parties, often without your knowledge or express consent.
Finally, it can be difficult even to find a safe, free VPN to use. A recent study showed that of 283 surveyed free Android VPN apps, over 38% contained malware. What’s more, 18% of the apps didn’t actually encrypt traffic, and 84% leaked personal information over IPv6. It’s not just little-known services that pose a threat, however; we’ve even seen a major free VPN sell bandwidth out from under its users. To keep yourself and your data safe, we recommend using a well-established VPN with a proven record of standing up for its users’ privacy.