BBC iPlayer is notorious for cracking down on VPN users. If you live in the UK, you’ll need to pay a TV license to watch TV shows, movies, and documentaries on BBC iPlayer. But if you travel outside the UK, you’ll also need to use a VPN to access the content away from home.
VyprVPN is among the fastest VPNs available thanks to its proprietary servers, but it’s not always reliable when it involves accessing streaming platforms from abroad. For example, if VyprVPN isn’t working with BBC iPlayer, its server IPs may have been blacklisted, preventing access to the service.
This post will explore why VyprVPN may not work with iPlayer, some possible solutions, and the best VPN alternatives.
Why is VyprVPN not working with iPlayer?
The main reason VyprVPN may not work with iPlayer is that its IP addresses have been blacklisted. This means connections from VyprVPN aren’t allowed to access the streaming platform. As a result, any connection attempts will be blocked by iPlayer’s servers and security measures.
Another reason VyprVPN might not work with BBC iPlayer is that the IP addresses used by the service are not updated regularly enough. When streaming services detect a large number of requests from the same IP address, they will often block it.
Possible solutions to access iPlayer with VyprVPN
If you’re facing issues accessing BBC iPlayer with VyprVPN, here are some possible solutions:
- Switch servers/IPs – Try switching servers within the UK to see if another UK IP address hasn’t been blocked (VyprVPN has hundreds of servers across the globe).
- Clear your browser cookies and cache – Clearing your browser’s cache, and cookies can help get rid of any saved location identifiers that might be preventing access.
- Contact customer support – You can contact Vypr’s support team and ask it to investigate why their IP addresses are blocked by iPlayer. They might be able to provide alternative server IPs that work.
- Try a different VPN – If nothing else works, try using a different VPN service that works with iPlayer (such as NordVPN).
NordVPN is one of the best VPNs for BBC iPlayer that lets you access the service from any of its 5,000+ servers worldwide. It also includes a generous 30-day money-back guarantee, allowing you to try it for a month, and if it doesn’t meet expectations, you cancel for a full refund.
How to stream iPlayer with NordVPN
VyprVPN has been known to work with BBC iPlayer in the past, but it’s inconsistent at best. Fortunately, NordVPN works perfectly with iPlayer and streaming services like Netflix, Hulu, and Disney Plus. If you’ve exhausted all options with VyprVPN, we’d recommend taking NordVPN for a spin. Alternatively, Surfshark and ExpressVPN are also capable of accessing BBC iPlayer.
Here’s how to stream iPlayer with NordVPN:
- Sign up for a subscription to NordVPN, taking advantage of its 30-day money-back guarantee.
- Download and install the app from the VPN provider’s website, and sign in using your account credentials.
- Connect to a server in the United Kingdom.
- Visit BBC iPlayer via a browser or using the app and start streaming!
- Clear your cookies and browser cache if you’re experiencing issues to allow the iPlayer servers to recognize the change of server location.
WANT TO TRY THE TOP VPN FOR BBC IPLAYER RISK FREE?
NordVPN is offering a fully-featured risk-free 30-day trial if you sign up at this page. You can use the VPN rated #1 for BBC iPlayer with no restrictions for a month—great if you want to binge your favorite show or are going on a short trip.
There are no hidden terms—just contact support within 30 days if you decide NordVPN isn't right for you and you'll get a full refund. Start your NordVPN trial here.
VyprVPN not working with iPlayer FAQs
How do I know BBC iPlayer is blocking VyprVPN?
While there's no way to know for certain, the most common way to tell if VyprVPN is blocked by iPlayer is if you receive the error message "This content is unavailable in your location."
What shows can I watch on iPlayer?
iPlayer offers a wide range of shows and movies for you to watch, including live sports events and news broadcasts. Popular shows include Doctor Who, Top Gear, EastEnders, Luther, Killing Eve, and more.
How does iPlayer detect VPNs?
iPlayer maintains blacklists of known VPN server IP addresses and blocks them accordingly. For example, an IP address that belongs to a data center instead of a residence most likely belongs to a VPN. If the service detects a pattern that suggests a VPN is being used, it will block access to prevent people from bypassing regional restrictions.
Can I watch BBC iPlayer with any VPN?
No, not all VPNs are capable of unblocking streaming services like iPlayer. However, some do a better job than others, so check if the provider you're considering is known for working with iPlayer before signing up. Additionally, ensure that the provider offers servers in the UK; many do, but some don't.
Can I watch BBC iPlayer for free?
Yes, you can. BBC iPlayer is a free streaming service that doesn't require a subscription or payment to view its content. It’s funded by TV licensing fees, and you’ll be prompted to confirm that you have a UK TV license before viewing. You'll need to be located in the United Kingdom to access iPlayer, or use a VPN like NordVPN to bypass regional restrictions.