Like many streaming services, CNN Go is region-locked, which means it only allows you to watch if you’re in a specific country. If you try to watch CNN Go live abroad, you’ll see the following error: “This live stream is available only in the United States. Video highlights of the event are available at CNN.com/videos.” Luckily, there’s an easy way to spoof your location and watch CNN Go abroad: just connect to an American VPN server.
This works because most geo-restricted services rely on the user’s IP address to determine their location. When you connect to a VPN, though, you’re given a new, region-specific IP address, and CNN Go can’t tell that you’re actually somewhere else in the world. Another major advantage of VPNs is that they encrypt your traffic, preventing snoopers from seeing what you’re doing online and making it less likely that your speeds will be throttled by your Internet Service Provider (ISP).
How to watch CNN Go live abroad with a VPN
VPNs can be intimidating at first but they’re actually quite simple to use. Below, we’ll walk you through the process of unblocking CNN Go abroad, step-by-step:
Here’s how to watch CNN Go live from abroad with a VPN:
- First, sign up for one of the VPNs above (we particularly recommend ExpressVPN).
- Download and install the right version of the app for your device, then log in.
- Connect to one of your VPN’s American servers.
- Visit the CNN Go website. You can watch up to ten minutes for free, without registering, but you’ll have to log in with your cable provider details to continue watching afterward. You can also sign in with a PlayStation Vue account, so you can sign up for a free five-day trial and cancel before it ends to watch CNN Go abroad for free. This method requires a payment method linked to a US address.
- Finally, try watching the CNN Go live stream. It should start playing immediately, but if you have any issues, clear your browser’s cache and cookies then reload the page.
With so many VPNs to choose from, it can be difficult to decide which one is right for you. In our experience, though, the best VPNs are versatile enough to handle almost any situation, rather than being specially designed to unblock one particular service. That’s why, when finding the best VPNs to watch CNN Go abroad, we only considered services meeting all of the criteria below:
Criteria for selecting the best VPNs
- Provides reliable connections and high enough speeds for HD live streaming
- Can consistently unblock CNN Go and similar services abroad
- Doesn’t log any personally identifiable information
- Uses effectively uncrackable encryption and offers various supplementary security features
- Has apps for all major operating systems and devices
Just looking for a quick overview of the best VPNs to watch CNN Go abroad? There are brief summaries of each below, but we’ll also be reviewing them all in more detail later.
Best VPNs for watching CNN Go abroad
- ExpressVPN: Our #1 choice for unblocking CNN Go abroad. ExpressVPN is a fast, privacy-conscious service with over 3,000 servers worldwide, powerful security features, and excellent unblocking ability.
- NordVPN: A versatile yet budget-friendly service, NordVPN provides high speeds, best-in-class security and privacy, access to over 1,700 US servers, and the ability to watch CNN Go from anywhere.
- CyberGhost: This beginner-friendly VPN has more than 1,100 American servers and offers consistently high speeds, pre-configured security features, and the ability to unblock major streaming services like CNN Go abroad.
- IPVanish: This lightweight VPN has around 700 fast US servers, making it easy to watch CNN Go online from outside the US. It includes advanced security features, a high connection limit, and a no-logs policy.
- PrivateVPN: With faster speeds than most, strong security features, a zero-logs policy, and the ability to unblock numerous popular services, PrivateVPN is perfect for streaming CNN Go abroad.
- Surfshark: This VPN is fast and reliable, and boasts a strong commitment to your security. Surfshark has no connection limit, keeps no logs, and easily unblocks CNN Go from outside America.
What is the best VPN to watch CNN Go outside the US?
Here’s our full rundown of the best VPNs for streaming CNN Go abroad:
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
ExpressVPN has more than 3,000 servers in 94 countries, including the US. This service provides consistently high speeds, unblocks a wide range of geo-restricted platforms (including CNN Go) abroad, and doesn’t limit your bandwidth, so it’s perfect for streaming. ExpressVPN permits up to five simultaneous connections, meaning you’ll be able to watch CNN Go both at home and on the go.
This service keeps your activities private at all times using 256-bit AES encryption, protection against IPv6 and DNS leaks, and a kill switch that automatically stops all traffic whenever you lose your connection unexpectedly. ExpressVPN doesn’t log any information that could identify you, but if you’re concerned about privacy, there’s also the option to pay with Bitcoin. Live chat-based support is available 24/7.
ExpressVPN apps are available for Windows, MacOS, Linux, Android, and iOS. There’s even custom router firmware to make it as easy as possible to protect all of your devices at once.
- Fast and reliable servers
- Great capabilities for unblocking geo-locked content
- Hard to beat on privacy and security
- Pay anonymously with Bitcoin
- Slightly more expensive than rivals
BEST VPN FOR CNN GO:ExpressVPN is our top choice for watching CNN Go outside the US. It’s fast, secure, and able to unblock some of the most popular streaming services abroad. Best of all, you can try ExpressVPN risk-free as it comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Take a look at our complete ExpressVPN review.
Special Offer - get 3 months extra FREEGET DEAL
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
NordVPN has a vast network, with more than 5,000 high-speed servers in 60 countries, of which around 1,700 are in the US. This service is known for being able to unblock stubborn streaming services like Netflix and Amazon Prime Video so CNN Go presents no problems whatsoever. NordVPN has a six-connection limit which means you can protect all of your most commonly-used devices simultaneously.
This VPN offers a wide range of security features. These include 256-bit encryption, a kill switch, protection against DNS, WebRTC, and IPv6 leaks, and an ad-blocker, as well as a malware-scanner. You can connect to Tor over VPN or multi-hop servers if you’d like even greater privacy. NordVPN has a strict no-logs policy so your activities can’t be traced back to you. Should you need it, support is available 24/7 over live chat.
NordVPN provides apps for Linux, Windows, MacOS, Android, and iOS devices. This service can be manually configured to work on home routers.
- Over 1,700 servers in the US
- Major emphasis on security and privacy
- Unblocks most popular geo-locked streaming services
- Zero-logs policy
- The desktop app can be awkward to use, needs updating
BEST BUDGET VPN:NordVPN is a surprisingly affordable service with over 1,700 high-speed American servers and the ability to unblock services like CNN Go, Netflix, and Hulu from anywhere. It includes advanced security features, a strict no-logs policy, and a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our in-depth NordVPN review.
CYBER DEAL - Save 70% with this limited deal on 3 year plansGET DEAL
Money-back guarantee: 45 DAYS
CyberGhost has over 1,000 servers in the US and more than 4,000 in a further 89 countries. This VPN’s speeds are fast enough to stream live HD video with no noticeable lag or buffering. It’s capable of unblocking a wide range of streaming services including BBC iPlayer, Netflix US, and of course, CNN Go. CyberGhost allows up to seven connections at once, so it’s a strong choice for anyone looking to protect lots of devices.
One of the best things about this service is that it’s very easy to use. It has a host of pre-configured security features including 256-bit encryption, an always-on kill switch, DNS and IPv6 leak protection, ad-blocking, and automatic malware-scanning. CyberGhost doesn’t log any personally identifiable information although you can pay with Bitcoin if you’d like. If you need help, you can contact customer support 24/7 via live chat.
CyberGhost has apps for Android, iOS, Windows, and MacOS. It works on Linux systems and network routers too but must be installed manually.
- Has 1,100+ high-speed US servers
- All security features enabled by default
- Happily unblocks a host of geo-restricted content
- Less suitable for power users
SIMPLE YET VERSATILE:CyberGhost boasts user-friendly apps, consistently high-speeds, and excellent unblocking ability, making it ideal for those new to VPNs. This service comes with pre-configured security and privacy features as well as a 45-day money-back guarantee.
Check out our full review of CyberGhost.
Flash Sale - save 80% on the 3 year planGET DEAL
Money-back guarantee: 7 DAYS
IPVanish currently provides access to over 1,700 servers in 60 countries, including around 700 in the US. It unblocks services like CNN Go without any issues, and thanks to its high speeds, you’ll be able to watch in the highest possible quality, wherever you are in the world. IPVanish permits up to 10 simultaneous connections, making it ideal or anyone looking to secure all of their devices at once.
For such a lightweight service, it includes a surprising number of security and privacy features. There’s 256-bit encryption, a kill switch, and DNS and IPV6 leak protection for starters. In addition, you can block local connections entirely and obfuscate OpenVPN traffic (the latter lets you hide the fact that you’re using a VPN at all). IPVanish is a zero-logs provider, so your privacy is guaranteed. Customer support is on-hand 24/7 via live chat in case of any issues.
IPVanish has MacOS, iOS, Windows, and Android apps. It can be manually installed on Linux systems and internet routers.
- All the security and privacy features you need for most situations
- Very fast speeds
- Allows you to connect 10 devices at once
- Struggles to unblock larger streaming platforms
FAST, RELIABLE VPN:IPVanish has more than 700 fast and reliable US servers and decent unblocking potential, making it easy to watch CNN Go abroad. It keeps no logs, provides advanced security features, and offers a seven-day money-back guarantee.
Read the complete IPVanish review.
CYBERDEAL19 - save 73% on the annual planGET DEAL
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
PrivateVPN might not have as many servers as some of its rivals (around 150 in total, across 60 countries) but it does provide high speeds. This, coupled with its exceptional unblocking capabilities, make PrivateVPN ideal for streaming region-locked content abroad. With up to six connections allowed, you’re free to use platforms like Netflix and CNN Go from anywhere.
This service takes your privacy seriously. It uses 256-bit encryption, a kill switch (on Windows), and protection against DNS, IPv6, and WebRTC leaks to keep your traffic secure. If you’d like, you can sign up almost completely anonymously using Bitcoin. However, PrivateVPN doesn’t keep any logs, so you can’t be traced either way. Customer support is available via live chat between 3 PM – 1 PM PST every day, and staff can even remotely configure the software for you if you’re having trouble.
You can download PrivateVPN apps for your Windows, Android, MacOS, or iOS device. Manual configuration is required for use with wireless routers and Linux systems.
- Very fast speeds
- Unblocks almost all geo-restricted streaming content that we’ve tested
- Keeps no logs whatsoever
- A small number of servers, newish provider still expanding their network
- Doesn’t have 24/7 live chat
IDEAL FOR STREAMING:PrivateVPN provides very fast connections, unblocks numerous streaming services abroad (including CNN Go), and offers powerful security and privacy features. This service also includes a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Take a look at our full review of PrivateVPN.
Special Deal - save 83% on the 2 year planGET DEAL
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
Surfshark has over 800 servers spread across 50 countries including the US. It’s capable of unblocking a wide range of geo-blocked platforms including Netflix, CNN Go, and Amazon Prime Video, and is fast enough to watch without worrying about buffering or lag. Best of all, Surfshark has no connection limit, meaning it’s a strong choice for families.
This VPN’s security features include 256-bit encryption, a kill switch (in every version), automatic malware-scanning, and an ad-blocker, as well as protection against DNS, WebRTC, and IPv6 leaks. Surfshark doesn’t log any information that could identify you. If you run into any problems, you can contact customer support 24/7 via live chat.
Surfshark apps are available for Windows, iOS, Android, and MacOS systems, although manual configuration is required before use with Linux-based platforms or network routers.
- Connect as many devices as you like
- Takes privacy and security very seriously
- Fast enough for streaming live TV without any issues
- A relatively small server network
- Occasional slow server
NO CONNECTION LIMIT:Surfshark offers access to 20 fast, American servers. This VPN has high speeds, the ability to unblock CNN Go from anywhere, and no connection limit, so you can connect as many devices as you like. A 30-day money-back guarantee is included.
Check out our comprehensive Surfshark review.
Special Deal - save 83% on the 2 year planGET DEAL
Can I watch CNN Go outside the US with a free VPN?
You might be tempted to try watching CNN Go with a free VPN but we advise against it. These services usually have far more users than their limited networks can support, which causes slow speeds and makes watching live broadcasts almost impossible. Further, as free VPNs are often blacklisted by popular streaming services, you may not be able to watch CNN Go abroad, even if you obtain a reasonably fast connection.
Free VPNs tend to be less secure than their paid rivals. In fact, one study found that, of 283 free VPN apps, almost 40% contained malware and over 80% leaked personal information over IPv6. To make matters worse, 18% used no encryption whatsoever, meaning their users were no safer than when browsing normally. Even using a well-known service doesn’t necessarily guarantee your safety; we’ve seen Hola, a major free VPN provider, sell user bandwidth to help run a botnet.
The best way to protect yourself online is to use a reputable VPN with a clearly-defined logging policy and a track record of putting its users’ privacy first.
What can I watch on CNN Go?
CNN Go lets you watch far more than just the news (although there are several such shows available). It also offers a wide variety of documentaries covering politics, humanity, and the state of the world. Below are just a few of the titles you can watch for free on CNN Go:
- United Shades of America
- Anthony Bourdain: Parts Unknown
- Anderson Cooper 360°
- CNN Tonight with Don Lemon
- The Redemption Project
- Inside Politics
- The Movies
- Chasing Life with Dr. Sanjay Gupta
- American Woman
- City of Tomorrow
- 1 How to watch CNN Go live abroad with a VPN
- 2 What is the best VPN to watch CNN Go outside the US?
- 3 1. ExpressVPN
- 4 Special Offer - get 3 months extra FREE
- 5 2. NordVPN
- 6 CYBER DEAL - Save 70% with this limited deal on 3 year plans
- 7 3. CyberGhost
- 8 Flash Sale - save 80% on the 3 year plan
- 9 4. IPVanish
- 10 CYBERDEAL19 - save 73% on the annual plan
- 11 5. PrivateVPN
- 12 Special Deal - save 83% on the 2 year plan
- 13 6. Surfshark
- 14 Special Deal - save 83% on the 2 year plan
- 15 Can I watch CNN Go outside the US with a free VPN?
- 16 What can I watch on CNN Go?