Oracle is considered a ‘go-to’ database among developers for their renowned high performance and ability to handle demanding tasks. Oracle has developed a reputation for delivering reliable performance for users with hefty usage requirements.
As databases grow and scale, it becomes a growing task keeping track manually, and finding the right database management tool becomes essential.
Here’s our list of the best Oracle database management tools:
- SolarWinds Database Performance Analyzer for Oracle EDITOR’S CHOICE Database and query performance monitor. Powerful troubleshooting tool with email alerts and custom reports. Windows Server & Linux. Try a risk-free 14-day trial.
- Datadog Oracle Monitoring (FREE TRIAL) An application performance monitor that includes database monitoring and a specialized integration for Oracle databases. Start a 15-day free trial.
- RedGate Deployment Suite for Oracle Database management tool with change management and schema compare/synchronization.
- Quest Toad for Oracle A database management tool for administrators with support for Oracle, SQL Server, DB2, SAP, and MySQL.
- Aqua Data Studio An IDE for databases with data visualization and integration, with Oracle, Microsoft SQL Server, IBM Db2, MySQL, PostgreSQL, and MongoDB.
- dbForge Studio for Oracle IDE tool for Oracle developers who want to increase PL/SQL coding speed.
- Navicat for Oracle Oracle Development tool with SQL editing and data migration. Compatible with Amazon RDS and Oracle Cloud.
- RazorSQL SQL query tool and database browser for Windows, Mac OS, Linux, and Solaris.
- MyOra Free database monitoring tool with a SQL query feature that doesn’t require any installation or internet connection.
- TOra Open-source IDE for Oracle, MySQL, and PostgreSQL databases. Available on Windows, Mac OS, Linux, and Unix.
- Altova DatabaseSpy Database query and design tool used for SQL editing with a graphical design editor.
The 11 Best Oracle Database Tools
What should you look for in Oracle database management tools?
We reviewed the market for Oracle database management software and analyzed the options based on the following criteria:
- A system that can provide a performance overview for all Oracle database instances
- Detailed views of each Oracle database instance
- Database backup, replication, and migration supervision
- Constant live monitoring of server resource usage by Oracle database instances
- A management system that assists in the creation and management of database objects
- A free tool or a paid software package that has a free trial for a risk-free assessment period
- Systems that pay back their purchase price with increased efficiency or free tools that are worth using
SolarWinds Database Performance Analyzer for Oracle is a performance monitor that provides 24/7 monitoring for Oracle databases. The tool delivers a top-down perspective that the user can use to discover the root cause of poor database performance. Factors you can measure include wait events, client machines, users, blocking, and more.
The alerts system that comes with SolarWinds Database Performance Analyzer is powered by anomaly detection. Anomaly detection uses machine learning to identify deviations from normal performance conditions. For example, if wait behavior slows down then the platform sends you an alert. You can choose between the preconfigured alerts available out-of-the-box or you can create your own custom ones instead.
For managing your database environment there is a Management API. Through the Management API, you can complete tasks such as starting up a monitor, annotating, registering, and licensing. For further management activities, you can use the web interface to monitor code impact (including the impact of changes).
- Designed for 24/7 monitoring, making it ideal for enterprise applications and ‘always on’ environments
- Leverages anomaly detection to help identify shifts in performance and potential issues before they impact end-users
- Alerts are preconfigured for most situations and work well without any configuration
- Robust API offers numerous integrations into other applications
- Would like to see a longer trial period
SolarWinds Database Performance Analyzer is a reliable tool for monitoring database performance. SolarWinds Database Performance Analyzer starts at a price of $2,045 (£1,579). You can download the 14-day free trial.
The SolarWinds Database Performance Analyzer for Oracle is our first choice of tool for troubleshooting root cause issues on Oracle databases. It features incredible granularity that lets you drill down to the SQL text level. Email alerts and custom reports are invaluable.
Start 30-day Free Trial: solarwinds.com/database-performance-analyzer-oracle-monitoring-tuning
OS: Windows Server 2012 R2 or later, Linux
Datadog is a cloud-based infrastructure management system that is organized into modules Datadog Application Performance Monitor is one of those modules and it monitors a range of applications, including databases. Datadog has a large number of adaptations that add on specialist capabilities for monitoring well known applications. One of those integrations adds Oracle database monitoring to the application performance monitor.
Most of the Datadog system is resident on a cloud server, each user has an account for the service and can log in to the dashboard of the system through any standard web browser. There is an element that needs to be installed on the database’s server. This is called an agent and it collects information that it sends up to the Datadog APM system. The agent can be installed on Windows, Mac OS, and Linux.
The monitor shows live statuses on a range of metrics for your Oracle database instances. These include tablespace utilization, disk activity, and buffer space. Having the oracle integration installed doesn’t limit Datadog APM, it is also able to monitor other applications running on the same server.
- Is a cloud-based service, making it a flexible and lightweight option
- Excellent graphical reports and dashboard visualizations
- Pricing is based on usage, making it a viable option for both small and large networks using Oracle
- Agent can run on multiple platforms including Windows, Mac, and Linux
- Can monitor other applications, devices, or networks alongside oracle
- Would benefit from a longer 30 day trial period
Datadog charges for the APM by subscription with a rate per host per month or by the year. There is also an App Analytics add-on available to improve the performance forecasting and planning features of the APM. You can get a 15-day free trial of Datadog APM.
RedGate Deployment Suite for Oracle is a software tool designed for database administration tasks, development, and deployment. The software can be deployed in minutes, after which you can compare databases schemas and tables. The user interface displays data in a row format so that you can easily locate out of sync data.
Through the command line feature, you can automate deployments. However, you don’t need to have code knowledge to update scripts. There is an integrated development environment (IDE) where you can tweak and interact with deployment scripts.
Notifications tell you when the schema changes or after discovering issues like dependencies. After receiving an alert you can then investigate further and view more detailed information, such as the database’s access history.
- Designed specifically for DBAs and developers, offering more features tailored to DevOps
- Offers a GUI as well as CLI tool for modifying tables and pushing out automation
- Built-in IDE allows changes to be made quickly from within the tool
- Expensive compared to competing tools
- Interface isn’t as intuitive as other options
- Has a steeper learning curve than other tools
The price of RedGate Deployment Suite for Oracle depends on the number of users that you wish to support. Between 1-4 users the price is $1,755 (£1,355) per user but this drops to $1,509 for 5-9 users, and $1,420 (£1,096) per user for 10 plus users. You can download a 28-day free trial.
Quest Toad is a database management software tool and code optimization tool for Oracle. The platform uses automation to eliminate administrative tasks like testing, script execution, schema comparisons, and reporting.
For example, the SQL optimization feature uses an algorithm, which automatically writes SQL statements so that they run faster. Similarly, PL/SQL code profiling displays performance bottlenecks so that developers can eliminate them.
Team coding enables multiple employees to access schema objects at the same time. Collaborating on code changes makes it easier to develop a high-performance database. There are also over 200 code review rules to make sure that employees enter high-quality code throughout the development process.
- Can be used for database administration and management, offering a large number of options and features
- Great for code review, offers 200 prebuilt code review rules for code optimization
- Offers a highly detailed code comparison tool
- Enterprise-level reporting
- Steep learning curve
- Interface can be difficult to customize
- Not as visual as similar tools
There are five versions of Quest Toad available to purchase: Base Edition, Pro Edition, Xpert Edition, Dev Edition, and DBA Edition. Prices range from $1,023.75 (£790.74) to $5,925 (£4,576) and depend on the additional features you require, including code-quality checks, automated SQL optimization, and database performance diagnostics. You can download a 30-day free trial.
Aqua Data Studio is a database management tool and IDE for Oracle with an onboard query tool. There is a drag-and-drop interface that you can use to move query results into worksheets to visualize them. These can then be dragged into a dashboard to build a custom database monitoring experience. Visualizations can be shared with other users to enhance collaboration.
The Visual Query Builder in Aqua Data Studio allows you to generate SQL statements from database tables. Statements can be generated inside one window. If you want to improve general performance, then you can use Visual Explain Plans, which show you a queries execution plan so you can tune it. There are plans for Oracle, Microsoft SQL Server, MySQL, PostgreSQL, Redshift, MariaDB, and more.
The scripting features offered by Aqua Data Studio are vast. There is a scripting development environment with open APIs you can use to automate administrative tasks and debug scripts. The scripting environment enables your team to work more productively and decreases the time it takes to deploy. There are also SQL debuggers for Oracle, SQL Server, ASE, and DB2 LUW to eliminate production issues quickly.
- Features a combination of database management and IDE for Oracle databases, making it a flexible option for devs
- Allows data to be displayed visually alongside the database
- Scripting support allows for automation tasks
- Would like to see a longer trial period
- Interface can be difficult to navigate
Aqua Data Studio is a solution that integrates well with companies looking to efficiently manage Oracle databases. You can purchase a 1-year subscription of the program for $499.00 (£385.30). You can download the 14-day free trial.
devart dbForge Studio for Oracle is an IDE that helps coders to produce PL/SQL coding more efficiently. The user can write and format code with automatic code completion. The ‘smart formatter’ allows the user to format the PL/SQL syntax and language. There is also an onboard debugger to eliminate coding issues.
Another feature that helps save time during editing is code refactoring. Whenever you rename database objects code refactoring will automatically replace all references to the objects.
To support database management there is data comparison and synchronization. With the Schema Comparison Wizard, you can compare databases and snapshots before synchronizing them. Then you can use the Data Comparison Wizard to compare different datasets together.
There are three versions of dbForge Studio for Oracle available to purchase: Standard, Professional, and Enterprise. The Standard version costs $199.95 (£154.39) with a PL/SQL debugger and a query profiler. The Professional version costs $449.95 (£347.42) with a command-line interface and schema/data compare and sync.
- Offers automatic code completion, helping shorten project times
- Build-in debugger is helpful in highlighting issues in real-time
- Refactoring works smoothly, great for changes across larger databases
- Interface is easier to navigate than similar tools
- CLI option only available in the professional version
- Search functionality could use improvements, specifically around parameterized searches
The Enterprise version costs $649.95 (£501.85) with all features from the other versions plus a data generator and DB documenter. Here’s the download link.
Navicat for Oracle is a database management system and development software tool. With the intelligent database designer, the user can create and edit database objects. The Visual SQL Builder enables you to create and run SQL statements easily. The Code Completion and code snippet features then help the user to code more efficiently and correct errors as they go.
The platform is compatible with Amazon RDS and Oracle Cloud with support for local/remote servers. Database synchronization enables the user to update databases. You can then generate reports on an automated basis.
- Sleek and easy to use interface
- Includes a visual SQL builder
- Offers code completion for faster implementations
- Supports scheduled reporting, no need to set a reminder every month
- Documentation could use improvements, steeper learning curve than some other tools
- Query building interface could be more intuitive
Navicat for Oracle is available on the following operating systems: Windows, Mac OS, and Linux. A perpetual license for Navicat for Oracle costs $699 (£539.63). There is 15% off for 5-9 licenses and 20% off for 10 plus licenses. You can download the 14-day free trial.
RazorSQL is a database query tool for Oracle with syntax highlighting and database administration capabilities. The SQL editor enables the user to run queries, edit SQL and PL/SQL scripts. There is support for over 20 different languages including SQL, PHP, Java, XML, and more.
Oracle Create Index can be used to create indexes in a visual format. The user selects the Index Name, Table Name, and Columns they want in the Index and then presses the Generate SQL button.
For managing databases, the platform has a browser where you can view database elements like tables, schemas, and functions. Similarly, there is a table creation database tool that you can use to generate SQL for tables. The feature is useful because it speeds up the SQL code creation. The software also generates SQL for Oracle sequences, procedures, functions, and triggers.
- Designed specifically for DevOps and DBAs
- Offers syntax highlighting and code completion to help speed up larger projects
- Can generate SQL tables directly from within the tool
- Supports Windows, Linux, and Mac, making it more flexible than some of its competitors
- Interface could use improvement, default layout can get cluttered very quickly
RazorSQL is available to join Windows, Mac OS, and Linux. You can purchase a license for $99.95 (£79.95) per user, $96.95 (£76.95) for 2-9 users, $94.95 (£74.95) for 10-19 users, and 20 or more for $92.95 (£72.95) per user. You can download the 30-day free trial.
MyOra is a free database monitoring tool for Oracle that measures performance in real-time. With MyOra you can monitor metrics like Wait Analysis, System Waits, DB Activity, Top 5 SQLs, and Top 5 Resource Using Sessions. The system displays performance data in a range of visual formats including bar charts, graphs, and pie charts.
The software has a number of database management features. For instance, there is a Schema Explorer where you can manage database objects including Indexes, Tables, Functions, Triggers, Packages, and more.
There is also an SQL Editor where you can write and execute SQL statements. Once you’ve run a segment you can view execution statistics to troubleshoot for performance issues. Syntax highlighting also helps you to navigate code.
- Highly visual, great for simple real-time monitoring
- Can view key metrics in both text and visual form at the same time
- Can edit SQL statements directly from the tool
- Offers syntax highlighting, a nice quality of life feature
- Completely free
- Built for monitoring, not an IDE
MyOra doesn’t require any installation or an Oracle Client to function. The low cost of the freeware makes it ideal for enterprises who want to monitor an Oracle database on a budget. You can download the software for free.
TOra is an open-source database management solution that supports Oracle, MySQL, and PostgreSQL databases. TOra comes with an SQL editor and debugger to assist with managing databases. In addition, there is code completion and SQL syntax highlighting to make SQL generation more efficient. You can even use a menu to select commonly used SQL code.
- Completely open-source DB management tool
- Available cross-platform for Linux, Windows, and Mac
- Interface is inefficient and outdated
- DB browser functionality is clunky at times, especially with large databases
- No paid support, only improved by the open-source community
TOra is available for the following operating systems: Windows, Mac OS, Linux, and UNIX. TOra is a cost-effective database management system for Oracle developers who want to use an open-source tool. You can download the software for free.
Altova DatabaseSpy is a database query and design tool for databases such as Oracle, PostgreSQL, MySQL, SQLite, MariaDB, and SQL Server. There is a SQL Editor that allows you to execute SQL code and monitor the output. SQL statements are color-coded so that you can read through commands without getting lost.
The Design Editor enables you to edit database structures. Pull-down lists automatically adjust as you work. You can create tables and define relationships with other tables. When designing your database you can automatically generate SQL statements.
To give you a better perspective of database changes and query results Altova DatabaseSpy has visualization features like charts, graphs, and pie charts. Visual elements update in real-time so you can monitor queries. You can save charts in .jpg, png, .gif, and more.
- Can query and design databases from a single tool
- Interface is simple and easy to learn
- A good mix of IDE and monitoring in one solution
- Offers visualization features
- Not as intuitive as other options
- Nested menus can make finding things more difficult
There are two editions of Altova Database Design available to purchase: Altova DatabaseSpy 2020 Professional Edition and Altova DatabaseSpy 2020 Enterprise Edition. The Professional edition starts at $139.00. The Enterprise edition costs $189 with additional features like graphical displays. You download the 30-day free trial.
Choosing a tool for Oracle Database
For monitoring, we recommend SolarWinds Database Performance Analyzer for Oracle. If you want a atabase tool that makes the development process more efficient then RedGate Deployment Suite for Oracle is a reliable option. In environments where budget is a prime concern, there are low-cost and free alternatives like TOra.
Oracle Database Software Tools FAQs
What is ojdbc8?
Oracle JDBC is a Java Database Connectivity (JDBC) API. The API is implemented as a library of Java classes and resources. The library is stored in a Java archive, which is called a JAR file. The ojdbc8.jar file contains JBDC v 4.2, which is compatible with Oracle database version 18.3.
What is a byte ordering scheme in Oracle?
Byte ordering isn’t dictated by Oracle, it is a factor set by hardware manufacturers – specifically microprocessor providers. There are two byte ordering schemes possible. The first of these is ‘big-endian’ where the most significant byte is stored first – Motorola processors use this scheme. The other is ‘little-endian’ where the most significant byte is stored last – Intel processors use this scheme.
What are the common database administration tasks for an Oracle database?
Typically, a DBA will be expected to form the following tasks to maintain an Oracle database:
- Install Oracle software
- Create Oracle databases
- Install database and RDBMS software release upgrades
- Start up and shut down the database
- Manage database storage structures
- Create user accounts and access rights
- Manage users and security
- Manage schema objects (tables, indexes, views, constraints)
- Backup databases and recover data
- Monitor database health
- Plan database capacity and make appropriate resource provision
- Monitor and tune database structures and interfaces
What are the daily activities of Oracle DBA?
Apart from strategic and planning tasks, the day-to-day activities of an Oracle DBA include supporting users, creating accounts, monitoring performance, ensuring access security and data integrity, and reporting on database statuses.
Related post: Best Database Monitoring Tools