Norton offers a range of security products like Norton 360 and Norton Antivirus Plus, but uninstalling them can sometimes feel like a game of whack-a-mole with leftover files. If you’ve ever scratched your head wondering how to get rid of Norton fully, you’re in the right place.
Whether you installed Norton by choice or found it pre-loaded on your new computer, this guide lays out foolproof steps to ensure every last trace of Norton is wiped from your system.
How to uninstall Norton quickly
If you don’t have time to stick around for the entire article, the following steps will help to remove Norton 360 from your computer.
Here’s how to uninstall Norton quickly:
- On a Windows PC, click Start and head to Settings.
- Open Apps and find Norton 360 in the list of installed applications.
- Click Uninstall and follow the setup wizard to complete the removal process.
- You may need to reboot your system to apply the changes.
Note: The above steps will only uninstall Norton 360, and some other Norton applications may still be installed after the removal process.
The best Norton alternatives
If Norton’s security products aren’t what you’re looking for or its pricing doesn’t meet your budget, there are other options.
Here are the best Norton Antivirus alternatives:
- McAfee Total Protection: Our top Norton 360 alternative includes a wealth of tools to safeguard your online activities like identity monitoring, parental controls, a secure VPN, and more.
- Kaspersky Plus: All-round protection includes a data leak checker, device performance optimization, and payment protection.
- ESET Internet Security: Protection for Windows, macOS, and Android from malware, ransomware, and phishing threats.
How to uninstall Norton from Windows 10 and 11
Instead of installing Norton products one by one or risking leftover files on your system after using the Windows uninstall process, another method wipes all Norton traces from your computer: the NRnR (Norton Remove and Reinstall tool).
Here’s how to uninstall Norton from Windows 10 and 11:
- Download the Norton Remove and Reinstall tool.
- Open the NRnR tool and click Yes on the prompt that asks to make changes on your PC.
- Accept the license agreement to continue.
- Click Remove and Install on the next screen.
- A prompt will appear, stating traces of Norton software will be removed from your computer.
- When it finishes, click Restart Now to complete the process.
How to uninstall Norton from Mac
The process for uninstalling Norton products from your Mac isn’t too dissimilar to the Windows removal process.
Here’s how to uninstall Norton from Mac:
- Open the Norton Security application you wish to uninstall.
- Click Norton Security from the Apple menu and select Uninstall Norton Security.
- When the uninstaller opens, click Uninstall.
- When prompted, enter your admin username and password, then click Install Helper.
- Norton will now remove its products from your device.
- Once the uninstallation finishes, you’ll need to restart your computer.
See also: The best antivirus software for 2023
Norton uninstallation FAQs
Why is Norton 360 so slow?
If you are running a full system scan using Norton, the process could take several hours depending on the number of files on your computer. During this time, some system resources are consumed by the antivirus, slowing down other programs and even the operating system itself. You can schedule when these scans occur in the software settings to avoid conflicts.
Norton performing slowly on your computer may not be entirely down to Norton 360 but may be caused by other tasks running in the background if you notice a slowdown when booting your PC. Windows Task Manager lists the processes running in the background, and we’d advise disabling unnecessary processes to boost performance.
Why can't I remove Norton from my computer?
You may have problems removing Norton products from your computer due to corrupt installation files, conflicting antivirus software, or because an older version of Norton is preventing a successful uninstall. We’d recommend using the Norton Remove and Reinstall tool to ensure a full cleanup.
How do I get rid of the Norton pop-up on Windows 10?
If you’re tired of seeing notifications from Norton when it starts scanning, finds a threat, or updates, you can disable these pop-ups. The easiest way to stop notifications is by turning on Silent Mode, available as a checkbox in the Norton 360 application settings.
Is it worth having Norton on Mac?
Contrary to popular belief, Macs are susceptible to virus infections even though Mac systems encounter slightly fewer threats than Windows devices. Installing Norton 360 will bolster your Mac security with a firewall, exploit protection, file cleanup tools, and a VPN.
Does Norton 360 prevent ransomware?
Yes, Norton 360 comes equipped with multiple layers of security designed to combat ransomware. It’s like a Swiss Army knife for your digital life, offering features like real-time protection and advanced heuristics to detect and neutralize ransomware threats. However, no solution is 100% foolproof, so always exercise caution and maintain good cybersecurity hygiene.