If you’re living or traveling in Sri Lanka and are trying to unblock Facebook, WhatsApp, or Viber, then your best bet is to use a Virtual Private Network (VPN). A VPN works by hiding your IP address and routing you through a server in another country. This gives you a new IP address allowing you to access any online content which is blocked in Sri Lanka. Social media blocks in Sri Lanka are not uncommon, so it’s a good idea to have a VPN installed before you visit.
A VPN also provides you with increased security, not only will your online data be encrypted but you will be safer from hackers and Man-in-the-Middle attacks. Plus by changing your IP address a VPN allows you to access geo-restricted content such as TV channels from back home or online streaming services like Netflix.
The best VPN for Social Media blocks in Sri Lanka
In this article, we’ll take you through a list of the best VPNs to regain access to Facebook and other social media in Sri Lanka. They’re ranked on the following factors:
- Fast and reliable service
- Robust security standards so your location remains hidden
- Large number of server locations
- Apps for Android and iOS
- Easy to use
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
ExpressVPN ships with an easy-to-use interface and its core service — when judged on speed and the stability of connection — has always performed admirably. Encryption protocols are military-grade and will keep your location hidden.
Specifically, the company uses 256-bit AES-CBC encryption with the utilization of both HMAC authentication and perfect forward secrecy. An internet kill switch temporarily halts all web traffic if the connection drops unexpectedly, keeping your connection secure.
There’s a vast repository of servers spread across the world — with more than 3,000 in total. This includes many options in Europe and North America so you should be able to mask your location without any problems.
Privacy and anonymity are important factors while trying to circumvent the ban in Sri Lanka. ExpressVPN doesn’t store any identifiable data so that should ease concerns. The only pieces of metadata logged are the date (not time) a user connects to the service, the servers they prefer, and total bandwidth utilized. Your individual IP address won’t be stored.
It’s also possible to register for the service via a burner email account and pay with Bitcoin if you want to completely eliminate your digital footprint.
There are apps for Android and iOS, and desktop clients for Windows and MacOS.
- Effortlessly unblocks all major social media platforms and chat apps
- Superfast servers are great for streaming HD content
- Best-in-class encryption makes for solid security and privacy
- No internet usage logs are retained
- Live chat available 24/7
- A wide range of apps available – Windows, MacOS, Android, iOS, Linux, and certain Wi-Fi routers
- Doesn’t come cheap, use a coupon for discounts
BEST VPN FOR FACEBOOK IN SRI LANKA:ExpressVPN is our Top Choice. Reliably circumvents censored social media sites and chat apps like Facebook, Instagram, WhatsApp, and Viber. Also hard to beat for streaming media sites. Extremely fast connections and a huge range of servers in multiple countries available. Try it risk-free with the 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our review of ExpressVPN.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
NordVPN has been in the VPN business for over ten years, so it’s a reliable performer that’s withstood the test of time.
The service is similar to IPVanish in the sense that it leverages a zero-logs policy. This means there’s no data retention of any sort related to user sessions, traffic, or timestamps.
The company has consistently refused to comply with official requests to hand over user data. The fact that it’s headquartered in Panama helps. This should please privacy enthusiasts.
NordVPN operates over 5,000 servers in 59 countries, so finding a suitable connection will be straightforward. You can also select servers for more stringent privacy features such as anti-DDoS, double VPN, Tor over VPN, or dedicated IP.
Internet traffic is encrypted via the 256-bit AES protocol and 2,048-bit SSL keys. DNS leak protection is enabled.
Apps for both iOS and Android are offered, along with desktop clients for Windows and MacOS.
- Easily circumvents social media and chat app blocks
- Excellent security and encryption standards
- Personal data is protected as it keeps no logs
- Operates over 5,000 servers in 60 countries around the globe
- Fast and reliable connections
- Desktop apps can be sluggish
BEST BUDGET VPN:NordVPN is a good value all-rounder. A great value option that works tirelessly at accessing Facebook and banned chat apps. Connects up to 6 devices simultaneously. Also works well with most popular streaming services and achieves consistently good speeds. 30-day money back guarantee.
Here’s our review of NordVPN.
Money-back guarantee: 45 DAYS
CyberGhost has been investing in its service parameters for the past several months and this is beginning to have an impact. The company delivers quick speeds and tough encryption. It’s incorporated in Romania, hence out of the reach of mandatory data retention laws.
At the moment, CyberGhost offers more than 6,000 servers spread across 90+ countries. Locations include Asia Pacific, Europe, and North America.
The company deploys 256-bit AES encryption on the OpenVPN protocol by default, along with 2,048-bit RSA keys and MD5 HMAC authentication. An internet kill switch is included. The choice of encryption parameters propels it into the top-tier of VPNs.
Apps are available for both Android and iOS, and there’s desktop support for Windows and MacOS.
- Large server network can unblock most geo-blocked social media and chat apps
- Low-cost option with beginner-friendly apps
- Some of the fastest servers we’ve tested
- Kill switch on all apps and keeps no logs
- Won’t unblock as many streaming sites as others on this list
BEGINNERS' CHOICE:CyberGhost is easy to use. Great privacy with zero logs and DNS leak protection. Unblocks Facebook, banned chat apps and popular streaming platforms. 45-day money back guarantee.
Here’s our full review of CyberGhost.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
IPVanish is another solid bet to access Facebook in Sri Lanka as it offers decent speeds and robust encryption. It won’t break the bank, either.
A reassuring factor is that the VPN is completely logless. All user web activity is hidden including session history, choice of servers, and bandwidth utilized.
Encryption standards are top-tier. IPVanish deploys 256-bit encryption on the OpenVPN protocol by default, SHA512 authentication, and a DHE-RSA 2,048 key exchange with perfect forward secrecy. An internet kill switch is included, firming up your device’s security.
IPVanish operates over 1,400 servers spread across 75+ global locations, including a large network in Asia, Europe, and North America.
There are apps for both iOS and Android, as well as desktop support for Windows and MacOS.
Many people find IPVanish to be an excellent option for Kodi because it allows them to download the Android APK directly to their device. The interface is also remote control friendly for Kodi devices that lack a keyboard and mouse.
- Unblocks most blocked sites and services in Sri Lanka
- Very fast speeds
- Completely logless service won’t compromise your privacy
- Preferred by Kodi and Firestick TV for its remote-friendly apps
- No live customer support
- Doesn’t reliably unblock Netflix, Hulu
UP TO 10 DEVICES:IPVanish has a large network of servers. Generally solid for Facebook and chat app access. Adhere to the highest standard of privacy, but can struggle with unblocking some popular streaming sites. 7-day money-back guarantee.
Read our review of IPVanish.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
PrivateVPN has a smaller network of servers than the others mentioned in this list, but the product is well-engineered and won’t let you down. Servers are spread across 60+ countries.
You can opt for either 128 or 256-bit encryption depending on the chosen protocol. An internet kill switch and DNS leak protection are included as additional safeguards. PrivateVPN declines to store any logs of user behavior, so that’s a positive too.
It offers apps for iOS and Android as well as desktop clients for Windows and MacOS.
- Gaining a solid reputation for the range of site and services they can unblock
- Keeps no logs whatsoever
- Faster than many other providers
- Newer network that is still growing, so fewer servers to choose from
- Support staff only operate during European business hours
GREAT SPEEDS:PrivateVPN is a good family choice. Works well in Sri Lanka and allows up to 6 devices on the same account. Fast connections but could do with having more servers to chose from. 30-day money back guarantee.
Read our full review of PrivateVPN.
Money-back guarantee: 30 DAYS
VyprVPN is on this list because of its experience in evading government restrictions on the web. One of its popular use cases is in China, where it easily unblocks the Great Firewall, evading the best efforts of thousands of state-appointed government engineers that work around the clock. There are more than 700 VyprVPN servers spread across the world.
VyprVPN does have a bit of a logging policy. This is stated in full for transparency purposes. It will store “the user’s source IP address, the VyprVPN IP address used by the user, connection start and stop time and total number of bytes used.” The company maintains that all data is kept on servers for a period of 30 days and is used to improve the overall experience.
The choice of encryption standards is excellent: the company deploys the OpenVPN protocol, 256-bit AES encryption, 2,048-bit RSA keys, and SHA256 authentication. There’s an internet kill switch included. A premium version of the package will allow access to the Chameleon™ protocol. This feature scrambles OpenVPN metadata so deep packet inspection cannot recognize it.
Apps are available for both Android and iOS and desktop clients for Windows and MacOS.
- Gets around most Sri Lankan restrictions
- Fast, reliable connection
- Doesn’t log any personally identifying information
- Could have more options for advanced configuration
- Not the cheapest option on this list
- Logging Policy may suit visitors to Sri Lanka, but not residents
EASY TO USE APPS:VyprVPN is user friendly. Impressive speeds and uptime but not the cheapest option in this list. 30-day money-back guarantee.
Read our full review of VyprVPN.
Should I use a free VPN to unblock Facebook in Sri Lanka?
Free VPNs are tempting because they’re easy to install and don’t ask for any credit card details. Plus they’re heavily advertised on the web so users are often inundated with ads for these services.
Unfortunately, a free VPN will typically provide you with a fraction of the security standards that paid options offer. You also won’t get premium speeds or high-level customer support. Free VPNs may bombard you with ads while browsing and might also track and mine your data.
Even if you do decide to give a free VPN a try, it’s likely you’ll soon be revisiting paid options such as the ones above.
How to bypass Social Media Blocks in Sri Lanka
After you settle on a provider (we recommend one of the options on our list), follow the steps below to safely access social media in Sri Lanka.
Here’s how to access social media in Sri Lanka with a VPN:
- Settle on a VPN provider from the list above, we particularly recommend ExpressVPN.
- Download the native software directly from the app store or the VPN provider’s website.
- Clear your cookies and cache to remove any lingering location identifiers. Restart your device.
- Log into the VPN app and select a server outside Sri Lanka. We recommend countries in the West because there are no restrictions on VPN usage there.
- Wait until a connection is established -this will be confirmed by your VPN client, often with a green light. If using a mobile device, you might also see a VPN symbol at the top of your screen.
- Open your phone or browser. Your ISP will assume you’re not present in Sri Lanka and sites like Facebook, Instagram, WhatsApp, and Viber should be accessible.